Rules
Terms of Use

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#395040 - Wed Nov 21 2007 02:56 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Results for ROUND 16

10 lovers of shots have sent their picks. Thank you for doing so!

1 - From This Page kindly pick one of the Wyoming shot glasses.

10 points: Wyoming Lettering Shot Glass, Wyoming devils tower shot glass, Wyoming Indian shot glass, Wyoming state flag shot glass, Wyoming mountains square shot glass

5 points: Wyoming rodeo shot glass [2], Wyoming Indian Paint brush and meadow lark bid shot glass [3]

Not mentioned: Wyoming mountains shot glass, Wyoming Cowboy Mandela Shot glass, Wyoming Grand teton national park design shot glass

2 - Please give me the name of a film editor that has won an Academy Award for Film Editing in the '40s.

10 points: Paul Weatherwax, William Holmes, Robert J. Kern, Anne Bauchens

5 points: Harry Gerstad [2], Barbara McLean [2], Daniel Mandell [2]

Not mentioned: George Amy, Francis Lyon, Robert Parrish

3 - SHOT is the acronym for the Society for the History of Technology.
From the society's official website, please give me the name of one of their Special Interest Groups.

10 points: Military Technology, The Lynn White, jr., Society, Technology Museums, Envirotech, The Pelicans, Labor and Work, The Jovians

5 points: The Albatrosses [3]

Not mentioned: Computers, Information & Society, The Mercurians, The Prometheans, Technology Education, Women in Technological History

4 - Ice hockey - Montreal Canadians - Bernard 'Boom Boom' Geoffrion - retired uniform number.
Please name another player of the same team whose number is currently retired.

10 points: Serge Savard, Dickie Moore, Howie Morenz, Doug Harvey, Jean Béliveau, Maurice Richard

5 points: Jacques Plante [2], Yvan Cournoyer [2]

Not mentioned: Bernard Geoffrion, Guy Lafleur, Henri Richard, Ken Dryden

5 - Please pick your favourite firefighter from this 2005 calendar.

10 points: Fred Work, Trevor Stannley, Ray Austin, Mike Russell, Randy Edwards, Raul Deming, Shannon Buenting, Andy Finseth

5 points: Kent Bastrom [2]

Not mentioned: 16 other brave firefighters.

And the results for Round 16 are:

50 points: Mugaboo --->

45 points: Brandz, Gatsby

40 points: Cinnam0n, Nakarinna, Szabs, Srini

35 points: Cae, Howie

30 points: Bethfay

One monthly point goes to our very esteemed Mugaboo for acquiring a perfect score. Congratulations!

#395041 - Fri Nov 23 2007 04:04 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Timaru NZ
Oooops, I have just remembered I have not closed round 9 and posted the results.

I will rectify that now so, as you may guess, round 9 is closed.

#395042 - Fri Nov 23 2007 05:12 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Round 9 saw 13 terrific players sending answers in:

1) The 2007 World Netball Championships are being held in Auckland, New Zealand, from November 10th - 17th. Please give me the name of a participating country.
10 Points: Australia, Fiji, Malawi, Malaysia, Samoa, Singapore, Trinidad and Tobago, Wales
5 Points: Botswana (2), Jamaica (3)
Not Mentioned: Barbados, Cook Islands, England, New Zealand, Scotland, South Africa

2) Please give me the name of a National Park in Poland.
10 Points: Babiogorski National Park, Drawienski National Park, Magurski National Park, Narwianski National Park, Pieninski National Park, Poleski National Park, Roztoczanski National Park, Slowinski National Park, Wielkopolski National Park
5 Points: Kampinoski National Park (2), Swietokrzyski National Park (2)
Not Mentioned: Bialowieski National Park, Biebrza National Park, Bieszczadzki National Park, Bory Tucholskie National Park, Gorczanski National Park, Karkonoski National Park, Ojcowski National Park, Stolowe Mountains National Park, Tatrzanski National Park, Ujscie Warty National Park, Wigierski National Park, Wolinski National Park

3) "Robin Hood" made a return to the British television screens in 2006 with Jonas Armstrong playing the title character. Please give me the title of one of the 13 episodes in series one.
10 Points: "Will You Tolerate This?", "Who Shot The Sheriff?", "Turk Flu", "Brothers in Arms", "Tattoo? What Tattoo?", "A Thing Or Two About Loyalty", "The Return of the King"
5 Points: "The Taxman Cometh" (4), "A Clue: No" (2)
Not Mentioned: "Sheriff Got Your Tongue?", "Parent Hood", "Peace? Off!", "Dead Man Walking"

4) Please give me a site that was added to the UNESCO World Heritage list in 2002.
10 Points: Late Baroque Towns of the Val di Noto (South-Eastern Sicily) - Italy, Mahabodhi Temple Complex at Bodh Gaya - India
5 Points: Ancient Maya City of Calakmul, Campeche - Mexico (2), Minaret and Archaeological Remains of Jam - Afghanistan (2), Saint Catherine Area - Egypt (2), Tokaj Wine Region Historic Cultural Landscape - Hungary (3), Upper Middle Rhine Valley - Germany (2)
Not Mentioned: Historic Centres of Stralsund and Wismar - Germany, Historic Inner City of Paramaribo - Suriname,

5) The race that stops a nation was run on November 6th. Please give me the name of a horse that won the Melbourne Cup in the 1980's.
10 Points: Just A Dash, Gurner's Lane, Kiwi, Black Knight, Tawrrific
5 Points: Beldale Ball (3), What A Nuisance (2), Kensei (3)
Not Mentioned: At Talaq, Empire Rose

Today's observations will be the following.
* For those who are interested and do not know what happened, Australia beat New Zealand in the netball final.
* Why did I pick Poland for national parks, such complicated spelling...
* The taxman is popular - do we have a number of people working in various tax offices?

Now for the results:

45 points - Denni, Mugaboo, and Szabs
40 points - Jar, Srini, and Cinnam0n
35 points - Cae16682, Gatsby, Brandz_mygirl, and Zorba
30 points - Bethfay and Taesma
25 points - Nakarinna

Thank you to everyone who played and well done to Denni, Mugaboo, and Szabs who all collect a November point.

I will hopefully see you all here again next time which by a strange coincident, is due to be posted but will have to wait as it has now ticked past midnight here...

#395043 - Sat Nov 24 2007 04:49 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Round 23 is here and we are back to lists. This time we will peruse Time Magazine's "The Most Important People of the 20th Century" list. The 100 people in this list are divided into 5 categories, so yet again you may be able to see where I am going.

1) Please give me the name of someone from the "Leaders & Revolutionaries" list.
2) Please give me the name of someone from the "Artists & Entertainers" list.
3) Please give me the name of someone from the "Scientists & Thinkers" list.
4) Please give me the name of someone from the "Heroes & Icons" list.
5) Please give me the name of someone from the "Builders & Titans list.

As I am not sure how easy this list is to find, I will even give you a link to it. Can I be any more helpful and fair than this?

The List

It turns out that I can be even more helpful by giving you the correct list to chose from for question 5.

edited to change the required list in question 5

Edited by Howie72 (Sat Nov 24 2007 01:18 PM)

#395044 - Sat Nov 24 2007 09:25 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
bethfay Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: St Louis Missouri USA
OK, so I'm a little late. A lot late. Really, really, really late. But better late than never! You can sort of think of this as a bonus round for your weekend enjoyment.

Here's Round 19 brought to you by VOLCANOES!

1 - The word volcano comes to us from Vulcan, the Roman god of fire and the forge. Name another major Roman god or goddess.

2 - Although there are many active volcanoes throughout the world, the International Association of Volcanology and Chemistry of the Earth's Interior (IAVCEI) has designated a small group of "Decade Volcanoes" that they feel are especially worthy of study due to their frequency of eruption and proximity to people. Name one of the current Decade Volcanoes designated by the IAVCEI.

3 - I love roller coasters (though I mostly ride with my eyes closed). There is a great scary coaster at Kings Dominion park outside Richmond, Virginia that I understand will thrill even the most seasoned rider. Name one of the "thrill rides" listed at the Kings Dominion website.

4 - One of my favorite early Tom Hanks movies is "Joe and the Volcano" where Hanks plays a young man who is convinced he is going to die and who gets talked into jumping into a volcano to save the inhabitants of a remote island (and make a bunch of cash while doing it). One of his first films with co-star Meg Ryan, it is one of my funny favorites. Since then Hanks has, of course, gone on to fame and fortune in many, many great roles. Name a film for which Tom Hanks either was nominated for or received the Academy Award for Best Actor.

5 - And finally as always an easy one to finish. The "Ring of Fire" which circles the Pacific Ocean is home to 75% of the world's active volcanoes. Ranging from the far south Pacific, up through eastern Asia and Kamchatka and then down through Alaska, the western US, central America and South America it is "home" to hundreds of active volcanoes. Give me a word of five letters or more using the letters of RING OF FIRE.

I hope you enjoy my quiz. As always, if you have any questions, please give a shout.

#395045 - Sat Nov 24 2007 11:37 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 21 will be closing up shop in a whole 24 hours from *now*....

#395046 - Sat Nov 24 2007 06:10 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Round 24

Odds and ends this time, mostly inspired by recent events and things I've seen and heard this week!

1. I read on November 12 that Ira Levin died. The name may not ring a bell, but you'll find that a number of well-known movies were based on his stories, novels, and plays. Name any one of them.(the movies )

2. Also this month, the television network TV Land and magazine Entertainment Weekly ranked the top 100 greatest TV icons. Name someone in the top 20.

3. In the last few days, I have heard a certain song on the radio many times. It is mostly played during the Christmas season, although it's not really a Christmas song. Please give me a male/female pair who recorded this song - "Baby, It's Cold Outside."

4. I am expecting a new grandson literally any day now! His mother is happy she didn't ruin Thanksgiving by going into labor mid-dinner, but we are anxious for him to come now. His parents aren't telling anyone his name until he is born. Please give me one of the top 10 boys names for 2007 from this site.

5. Political talk is on the rise here in the US, since there is a Presidential election this time next year. Name anyone, of any party, who is officially running for President of the United States.

This will close at noon on Tuesday. Have a great rest of the weekend and give a yell if you need help.

#395047 - Sun Nov 25 2007 11:32 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 21 - Wednesday
"False Confessions Day"
A fantastic and fine nine players !

1. Would you please tell me one of those nine "steps" in The Reid Technique? Note: just a brief few words as to which step you are referring to will be enough to ensure which of them you're talking about ~ no need to write them down verbatim...

For 10 Points:
Step 1 - Direct Confrontation. Lead the suspect to understand that the evidence has led the police to the individual as a suspect. Offer the person an early opportunity to explain why the offence took place.; Step 4 - At this point, the accused will often give a reason why he or she did not or could not commit the crime. Try to use this to move towards the confession.
For 5 Points:
Step 3 - Never allow the suspect to deny guilt. Reid training video: "If you've let him talk and say the words "I didn't do it," and the more often a person says "I didn't do it," the more difficult it is to get a confession." (2); Step 6 - The suspect will become quieter and listen. Move the theme discussion towards offering alternatives. If the suspect cries at this point, infer guilt. (2); Step 8 - Lead the suspect to repeat the admission of guilt in front of witnesses. (3)

Four others of these ... all pretty much in the same drift and/or direction...

2. This time, I'd like you to tell me one of the numbers - just one digit - that appeared on low-life Mr. Karr's arrest warrant (as issued by the Boulder, Colorado PD) as a component of either his California Drivers License Number, his weight OR his height.

For 10 Points:
For 5 Points:
2 (2), 4 (3), 5 (3)

California Drivers License Number: D2411875
Height: 5 feet, 7 inches
Weight: 140 pounds
And beyond that? *Blech* to him .

3. So kindly tell me, if you would, who were one of the nine men who sat on the United States Supreme Court in 1966 ~ at the time this landmark decision (Miranda vs Arizona) was made?

For 10 Points:
William Joseph Brennan, Jr., Byron Raymond White, William Orville Douglas.
For 5 Points:
Thomas Campbell Clark (4), Abraham Fortas (2).

Left unsaid were (Chief) Earl Warren, Hugo LaFayette Black, Potter Stewart and John Marshall Harlan II.

4. All that misfired justice, peculiar confessing and unthinkable violence aside, Pizza Hut is (usually) a nice and stressless place to grab lunch or dinner. What is a topping you can get on your pizza there? (NO sauces, just meats or vegetables or fruits, OK?)

For 10 Points:
Green Peppers, Beef, Pineapple, Red Onions, Jalapenos, Anchovies
For 5 Points:
Green Olives (3)

You might also like Bacon, Chicken, Ham, Italian Sausage, Pepperoni, Pork, Banana Peppers, Black Olives, Mushrooms or Tomatoes. And a beer ~ but that'd be on the side, of course .

5. To wrap it up, I'd like to know the name of ANY play or musical (no concerts) that has been performed at the St. James Theatre (in NYC) SINCE "Hello Dolly!" closed in 1970.

For 10 Points:
On The Twentieth Century (February 1978), Carmelina (April 1979), My One and Only (May 1983), The Who's Tommy (April 1993), Doctor Suess' How the Grinch Stole Christmas (November 2007)
For 5 Points:
Two Gentlemen of Verona (December 1971) (2), A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (April 1996) (2)

There are thirty of these shows total, so I'll skip on listing those not named. Let's just suffice it to say that the St. James has ran 85% (or so it seems) of all the successful musical theatre productions that have opened in the past four decades.

And here are the Results today...

cinnamOn .... 45 Points! Terrific showing !
denni19 .... 40 Points!
brandz_mygirl, Howie72, Mugaboo .... 35 Points!
cae_16682, nakarinna, srini701, szabs .... 30 Points!

Great sets of answers all-around - another tight race, too! The winner was determined right at the end of the matter and this time cinnamOn managed (nicely) to pull ahead and nab that oft-elusive monthly point on the scoreboard. Thank you all for playing, congrats to the winner and ... I'll be seeing you all again sooner than you might think !

Edited by Gatsby722 (Sun Nov 25 2007 10:41 PM)

#395048 - Sun Nov 25 2007 12:28 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Round 20 is now closed. You will have to be a little patient with me, the results will be delayed for a day or two.
My PC monitor has died yesterday (RIP) and I am using my brother's computer (when he's taking a break from his work ).

Thank you to everybody who sent their answers for this Tuesday round.

#395049 - Mon Nov 26 2007 05:20 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 26 ~ Monday

I'm still looking at new movies coming out that sound terrific. Or weird. Or enigmatic. Or original. This new release, "No Country for Old Men", caught my eye in no time flat ! I may not make it to the multiplex to see it (darn it) but it's already on my DVD "Hit List"...

1. According to answers.com a tagline is defined as follows: "it creates a memorable phrase that will sum up the tone and premise of a brand or product (like a film), or to reinforce the audience's memory of a product; some taglines are successful enough to warrant inclusion in popular culture, often becoming 'snowclones'." Does anyone know what the heck a 'snowclone' is? I sure don't . Anyway ... "No Country for Old Men" has two official taglines, one being: "There Are No Clean Getaways..." Please tell me one of the words that appears in the film's other two-sentence tagline!

2. The novel the movie was based on was written by the highly-regarded Cormac McCarthy, a Pulitzer Prize-winning scribe responsible for "The Road" and "All The Pretty Horses" (amongst many other fine pieces of work). While born in Rhode Island, he is often compared to Southern Gothic/post-apocalyptic authors William Faulkner and/or Herman Melville, which is high praise fror any contemporary writer indeed. McCarthy attended (but never graduated from) The University of Tennessee. In the completely unlikely event of Cormac planning to return to that school for the Spring 2008 term, what might be a course he would take in the 'Department of English Academic Program, Curriculum of Undergraduate Studies' - Course Numbers 300 - 400 ONLY?

3. The music for "No Country for Old Men" comes from a fellow that directors Joel and Ethan Coen have used in several of their films. It would seem his style fits the style of their unique visions nicely (and it always seems to work since, in my opinion, the music in a film can make an already superb cinematic experience even more memorable). The minstrel in question here is a certain talented and fascinating Mr. Carter Burwell. Have a look at Burwell's website, if you would, and tell me a project he can have been heard on that is categorized as Theater & Spoken Word (no feature film or dance work, please).

4. The title of the flick comes from the first line in "Sailing To Byzantium", a poem by William Butler Yeats. 'That is no country for old men. The young in one another's arms, birds in the trees - those dying generations - at their song, the salmon-falls, the mackerel-crowded seas, fish, flesh, or fowl, commend all summer long...' Yeats, it's said, was exploring his thoughts on how immortality, art, and the human spirit might converge ~ using blended devices, the poem describes the metaphorical journey of a man chasing his own vision of eternal life. Just lovely, isn't it ? AND it rather aptly fits the film, too, in terms of its underlying theme(s). The poem was published in a 1928 collection called "The Tower". Might you tell this "old man in the country" [ahem] another poem by Mr. Yeats that can be found in that book?

5. For decades there have always been certain names, when mentioned as being "attached" to a new movie or "shopping around" a great idea, that attract sizable interest, even before anyone has the slightest idea what said film is about (or, quite frankly, whether it's real or just a rumor) . Woody Allen gets such attention. Spielberg does, too. In the old days, the two-syllabled sirens were Hitchcock or Wilder or Williams or Huston. These days it's "the two-headed director" Joel and Ethan Coen, who have been at their eclectic style of cinema - with notable success - for twenty years now. To close this time, please tell me (aside from their new "No Country for Old Men") a feature film directed, or written by, or produced by (or something) the extremely talented Coen Brothers. And that'll wrap it up for today....

This'll stay open 'til, say, Friday at noon - I'll let you know many hours prior to lock-up. Enjoy. Be nice to old men this week . We'll meet again in a few days, yes?
And now I'll be off to searching out what that crazy word 'snowclone' means . I'll let you know....

Edited by Gatsby722 (Mon Nov 26 2007 05:26 AM)

#395050 - Mon Nov 26 2007 02:23 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 22 will be closing in about 24 hours. There's still plenty of room for more players...

#395051 - Mon Nov 26 2007 03:16 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Results for ROUND 20

8 faithfull competitors played this Tuesday round. Thank you all!

1 - Tell me one of the applications of fractals.

10 points: Generation of patterns for camouflage, Detection and classification of shoeprints, Seismology, Determination of the complexity of visual images, In studying population growth, Classification of slides in medicine

5 points: Generation of new music [2]

2 - Name a sportsman/sportswoman sanctioned for doping offences and whose first name begins with "E".

10 points: Euzebiusz Smolarek, Ephraim Malaza, Emilio Pagani, Erik Zabel, Elmira Ramileva, Ed Giddins

5 points: Erwin Bakker [2]

3 - From HERE choose any of the awards/honours that Maya Plisetskaya has received.

10 points ALL: Gold Medal for Service to the Arts, awarded by Spanish King Juan Carlos, First Medal for Service to the Russian state, Barbora-Radvilaite-Award, Appointment as professor at the Lomonossov State University in Moscow, The Prince of Asturias Award for Arts, Appointment as professor at the Sorbonne, Hero of Socialist Labour, Artist of the people of the USSR

4 - Give me one of Horatio Nelson's titles, as inscribed on his coffin.

10 points: Commander in Chief of his Majesty's Ships and Vessels in the Mediterranean, Vice Admiral of the White Squadron of the Fleet, Viscount and Baron Nelson, of the Nile and of Burnham Thorpe in the County of Norfolk, Member of the Ottoman Order of the Crescent

5 points: Baron Nelson of the Nile and of Hillborough in the said County [2], The Most Noble Lord Horatio Nelson [2]

5 - Pick a story from Nadine Gordimer's short-story collection "The Soft Voice of the Serpent".

10 points: The Umbilical Cord, A Watcher of the Dead, The Kindest Thing to Do, Another Part of the Sky, The End of the Tunnel, The Soft Voice of the Serpent

5 points: The Hour and the Years [2]

And the (tight) scores for Round 20 are:

50 points: Szabs, Gatsby, Mugaboo --->

45 points: Srini

40 points: Brandz, Cinnam0n, Nakarinna

35 points: Cae

One monthly point goes to our most noble, notable and honoured ‘Lord-ette’ and ‘Lords’ - Szabs, Gastby and Mugaboo for their round and perfect 50. Congratulations!

#395052 - Tue Nov 27 2007 06:59 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

About 4 more hours for Round 24! (and no grandbaby yet, although I will say that waiting for this is much more fun than when I was the one having the baby!)

#395053 - Tue Nov 27 2007 12:30 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
cae_16682 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: India
ROUND 28 - Wednesday, November 28

Having spent so much time doing puzzle contests, today's theme will naturally be PUZZLES

1. One of the basic methods I encountered while doing puzzles are cipher texts of different kinds.From HERE give me the name of one of the items listed under Codes and Ciphers

2. While solving puzzles, one of the decryption methods involved are those of the Braille and Morse Code. Speaking of Braille, the Official Site of the Royal National Institute For The Blind lists various Eye conditions. Give me the name of one of them listed under other eye conditions

3. My favourites are type of puzzles that involve pictures, where we have to take the images into a photo-editing program and find hidden messages or clues in them. I use Adobe Photoshop for these kind of puzzles. Adobe Photoshop is a raster graphic editor. Give me the name of a commercial raster graphics editor

4. We cannot have a puzzle themed quiz and not mention Jigsaw Puzzles And with Christmas around the corner, I spent a little time doing some Christmas themed puzzles. From here give me one of the puzzles listed. Remember there's a page 2 as well

5. The Monkey Puzzle is a studio album by the Australian group The Saints. Give me the name of one of their other studio albums.

This round will close on Sunday, 2nd December, FT Time. As always... remember I'm only a PM away, if you have any queries.

Edited by cae_16682 (Tue Nov 27 2007 08:04 PM)

#395054 - Tue Nov 27 2007 03:23 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 22 Results

8 players entered this round…

1. Please name for me an actor/actress from "The Simpsons" TV show that has appeared in 100 or more episodes.

For 10 points: Yeardley Smith, Harry Shearer, Nancy Cartwright

For 5 points: Tress MacNeille (3), Dan Castellaneta (2)

Not mentioned: Julie Kavner (Marge), Hank Azaria (Chief Wiggum), Pamela Hayden (Milhouse), Maggie Roswell, Marcia Wallace, Karl Wiedergott, Russi Taylor

2. Please select one of the fourteen wrench sizes listed on this product page.

For 10 points: 18 mm, 12 mm, 3/4 inch, 1/2 inch, 9/16 inch, 5/16 inch

For 5 points: 7/16 inch (2)

Not mentioned: 3/8 inch, 5/8 inch, 8 mm, 10 mm, 13 mm, 14 mm, 15 mm

3. Please name for me any head coach of the Raiders.

For 10 points: Bill Callahan, John Rauch, Marty Feldman, Art Shell, Mike White, Eddie Erdelatz

For 5 points: Jon Gruden (2)

Not mentioned: Conkright, Davis, Madden, Flores, Shanahan, Bugel, Turner, Kiffin

4. Please tell me a possible use or application of a gas compressor.

For 10 points: Powering pneumatic equipment; Filling pneumatic tires; Gas turbine systems; Turbo/Superchargers; Pneumatic tool energy; Pressurised aircraft; Refrigeration and air conditioning; Pipeline transport

For 5 points: none

Not mentioned: many others

5. Please name one of these twelve "hottest wishes" as found on the home page of the online version of the catalog.

For 10 points: Bloom Diamond Ensemble, Engaging NordicTrack® Viewpoint™ 3000 Treadmill, Play-All-Day Extreme Arcade Home Game Machine, Kenmore Elite® Steam Team™ Laundry Pair, Powered-Up Craftsman® AXS™ Tool Storage, Stainless-Steel Kenmore Pro™ 23.1 cu. Ft. Refrigerator, 60,000 BTU Kenmore Elite LP Gas Grill, My First Craftsman® All-Terrain Vehicle

For 5 points: none

Not Mentioned: Craftsman Heated Workwear, Cordless Craftsman 19.2V 6-Tool Combo Kit, Fast-Action On the Edge Marketing Diamond Plate Foosball, Furreal® Friends Butterscotch Pony®

Scores:

With 50 points: srini701, brandz_mygirl

With 45 points: cae_16682, Mugaboo, denni19, cinnam0n
With 40 points: szabs
With 35 points: Gatsby722

Congratulations to srini701 and brandz_mygirl for picking up one trivia point each!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#395055 - Tue Nov 27 2007 10:26 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
I haven't forgotten about Round 27. Just trying to get it into a somewhat reasonable (fingers crossed) shape before posting.

My dog has been under the weather recently with a parasitic intestinal thingy. What it boils down to is lots of mess from the, eh, back end and a deeply unhappy miserable sick little dog. This equals to a deeply unhappy miserable (fortunately not sick) owner. Glad to report that a visit to the vet, antibiotics and a rather nice-smelling but yukky-looking pink concoction for the upset stomach has worked wonders.

#395056 - Wed Nov 28 2007 12:24 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Round 27 quiz – November

Today’s quiz – “Boston Legal”
I like the show. It has quirky characters, great actors, strange but interesting plots.

1) “Boston Legal” is a spin-off from “The Practice” and the characters “Alan Shore” and “Denny Crane” appeared in the last season episodes from “The Practice”. Both shows were created by the talented David E. Kelley. Mr. Kelley has been married to Michelle Pfieffer since 1993. Ms. Pfeiffer starred in the 1982 sequel to the movie “Grease”. Please give me the name of any song from that sequel.

2) The gun-toting, gun-loving, egoistic (“My name’s on the door”), womanizing “Denny Crane” is portrayed (excellently, in my opinion) by William Shatner. While researching a little into Mr. Shatner’s past I discovered that he’s a vegetarian. This site has a long list of famous vegetarians (though it seems to be missing Heather Mills’ name). Please give me any name from the smaller list of “Sometimes rumoured to be vegetarian but we are not yet fully convinced...”.

3) I watched an interview of James Spader (“Alan Shore” on “Boston Legal”) by Jay Leno where Mr. Spader talked about his bad eyesight. If I remembered correctly, he mentioned that he does not wear contacts (or cannot wear contacts?) when taping “Boston Legal” and therefore he cannot see his fellow actors clearly. (After I watched this, I did sort of notice that his character’s eyes seemed to appear slightly unfocused on the show or maybe it’s just my imagination). A Snellen chart is an eye-chart used by eye-care specialists to test the eyes. Please give me any of the alphabets/letters appearing on the first 8 lines of the chart.

4) Candice Bergen (“Shirley Schmidt” on “Boston Legal”. Her name is also on the door) starred in one of my favourite shows “Murphy Brown”. “Murphy Brown” ran for 10 seasons and throughout the series, Murphy was plagued by incompetent, and usually downright strange secretaries. She did have some really good secretaries but they never stayed. I believe she ran through a total of 93 secretaries in total. Could you please give me the name of any actor/actress who played one of Murphy’s secretaries in Season 10 of “Murphy Brown”.I couldn’t find one site that listed all those who played the secretaries for Season 10 but you can find some of the names over various sites.

5) “Paul Lewiston” is a partner of Denny and Shirley (but his name is not on the door ). The actor Rene Auberjonois plays Paul. Mr. Auberjonois comes from a very interesting family, from both parents’ sides. He also has had a long and varied career on the stage, in television and in movies. He won a Tony award for his role in a musical. Please name me another person who won a Tony award the same year the Mr. Auberjonois did. Just the person’s name will do.

That’s it from me, and apologies again for the late posting as it’s now officially 28 Nov, FT time. In recognition of the lateness of this quiz, this round will close on Saturday 1 December, midnight FT time. Help is always just a PM away. Thanks for reading this post, hope you’ll find time to play.

#395057 - Wed Nov 28 2007 08:42 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
bethfay Offline
Forum Adept

I think most of the usual suspects have already put in an appearance so I will close Round 19 in just about 12 hours!!

#395058 - Thu Nov 29 2007 03:12 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
srini701 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Hyderabad India           
Round 29 -- Thursday, Nov 29

Bollywood is the name for the Hindi film industry in India. Music is an integral part of our films and over the years, we have had our fair share of great music directors. We have also had quite a few music directors who worked in pairs and this round will focus on some such directors

1. Nadeem-Shravan became a household name in the 1990s with a string of hits to their credits. Their first major film together was "Aashiqui" a 1990 Bollywood romance, particularly noted for its music. The film had some really lovely songs and also won many awards in the music catregory that year. I want to see if you can name any song from the film Aashiqui.

2. Shankar-Jaikishan were another very noted pair of music directors who gave some of the biggest hits of Bollywood over the years. The pair won quite a few Filmfare awards (our equivalent of the Oscars) during their long career. Name any film (and the year) for which Shankar-Jaikishan won the Filmfare award for best music.

3. Laxmikant-Pyarelal were noted for giving the first break in Bollywood to quite a few noted singers. From this page here, name one of the singers LP (as the pair was known) gave a break to. (9 names to pick from)

4. Unfortunately, Bollywood is replete with instances of music directors plagiarising well-known numbers from around the world in the name of "inspiration" Anand-Milind is one such pair, who while giving a fair number of hits in their career, also lifted a lot of tunes from all over the globe. From this web page, name a song that Anand-Milind copied (I am NOT looking for the original). The name of the Hindi song of Anand-Milind will suffice. And while you are there on the site, you might as well listen to the originals and the lifted ones to see how good a copy work our directors do

5. Jatin-Lalit are brothers who worked together for a number of years and had a fair volume of work to show, though not always great They have also been accused of copying a lot, but for my round today I just want you to name any album/film that Jatin-Lalit gave music to after the year 2000 .

I hope the round will interest you all This round will close Tuesday (India time, which would be Monday night FT time) . Let me know if you think you need help with the questions.

#395059 - Thu Nov 29 2007 09:53 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Just noticed when getting ready to post the results of Round 24 that an answer was incorrect. I'll wait a bit to finish this up, so any other entries are welcome.
BTW, my new grandson was born just about this time yesterday morning. His name is Sidney Thomas, and he is named after two of his parents' grandfathers, both of whom passed away within the last two years. A nice tribute to them! If I don't get to some rounds this week, it'll be because of visiting the new one and babysitting the 4-year-old!

#395060 - Thu Nov 29 2007 10:05 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Congratulations on the new family member, cinnamOn !

Edited to add --- 24 Hours to go for Round 26 ....

Edited by Gatsby722 (Thu Nov 29 2007 10:23 AM)

#395061 - Thu Nov 29 2007 11:31 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Congratulations Cinnam0n!

I love the little guy's names , and as you said, it's a very nice tribute to the memory of dear ones.

#395062 - Fri Nov 30 2007 05:37 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
bethfay Offline
Forum Adept

Round 19 Results

There were 9 fine players! for the VOLCANO round!

1 - Name a major Roman god or goddess.
For 10 points: Mars (war); Minerva (wisdom); Neptune (sea); Vesta (home); Venus (love)
For 5 points: Saturn (agriculture) [2]; Cupid (love) [2]
Not mentioned: Jupiter (king of gods); Juno (queen of gods); Mercury (messenger); Fortuna (fate); Diana (moon/hunt)

2 - Name one of the current Decade Volcanoes designated by the IAVCEI.
For 10 points: Santamaria (Guatemala)
For 5 points: Santorini (Greece) [2]; Niragongo (Congo) [2]; Avachinsky-Koryaksky (Russia) [2]; Teide (Spain) [2]
Not mentioned: Colima (Mexico); Mt. Etna (Italy); Galeras (Colombia); Mauna Loa (Hawaii US); Mt. Merapi (Indonesia); Mt. Rainier (Washington US); Vesuvius (Italy); Mt. Unzen (Japan); Ulawun (Papua New Guinea); Sakurajima (Japan); Taal (Phillipines)

3 - Name one of the "thrill rides" listed at the Kings Dominion website.
For 10 points: Berserker; Flight of Fear
For 5 points: Shockwave (2); White Water Canyon (3); Grizzly (2)
Not mentioned: Dominator; The Italian Job Turbo; Anaconda; Drop Zone; Hurler; Ricochet; Hypersonic XLC; Xtreme Skyflyer

4 - Name a film for which Tom Hanks either was nominated for or received the Academy Award for Best Actor.
For 10 points: "Big"
For 5 points: "Forrest Gump" (2); "Cast Away" (2); "Philadelphia" (2); "Saving Private Ryan" (2)

5 - Give me a word of five letters or more using the letters of RING OF FIRE.
For 10 points: GOFER; GROIN; GOFFER; FIRING; FIFING; RINGER; FOREIGN; GRIFFIN; FORGE
10 points to all!!
Not mentioned: INFERIOR; OFFERING; FINGER; FRINGE; IGNORE; REGION; REIGN; RIGOR; FEIGN; INFER; GRIEF

... and so the final standings are:

With 40 points: gatsby; mugaboo; nakarinna
With 35 points: cae16682; szabs; denni
With 30 points: zorba_scank; brandz_mygirl; srini

Congrats! to gatsby, mugaboo and nakarinna for capturing a point for November!

#395063 - Fri Nov 30 2007 05:51 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

ROUND 30

This round is my tiny and humble attempt to show my respect and admiration for our dear gentlemen participants, and to make up for that 'Question #5' you didn't like on a previous round .

Here are the 'Five Easy Pieces' for this Friday round.

1 - From HERE ---> Give me one of the 12 nominated buildings that appear in those photos.

2 - From HERE ---> Pick your favorite Dessert from the Coffee shop menu.
[And don't drool too much when looking through the site ]

3 - From HERE ---> Choose one of the blue numbered locations on the Reference Map.

4 - From HERE ---> Pick the Fine Art Poster Card (no other items please) you'd like to have.

5 - From HERE ---> Give me your favorite girl's name, from the ones listed on the first 3 pages.

The Round will close Tuesday at noon, Fun Trivia time.

Have a bit of fun with the round and an excellent weekend everyone.

#395064 - Fri Nov 30 2007 07:00 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Round 24 Results

1. I read on November 12 that Ira Levin died. The name may not ring a bell, but you'll find that a number of well-known movies were based on his stories, novels, and plays. Name any one of them.(the movies )

For 10 points - Critic's Choice, Sliver, The Stepford Wives, Revenge of the Stepford Wives

5 points - A Kiss Before Dying (4)

Others not mentioned include Rosemary's Baby, The Boys From Brazil, and No Time for Sergeants.

2. Also this month, the television network TV Land and magazine Entertainment Weekly ranked the top 100 greatest TV icons. Name someone in the top 20.

For 10 points - David Letterman, Bob Newhart, William Shatner, Carroll O'Conner, Andy Griffith, Carol Burnett

5 points - Dick Van Dyke (2)

3. In the last few days, I have heard a certain song on the radio many times. It is mostly played during the Christmas season, although it's not really a Christmas song. Please give me a male/female pair who recorded this song - "Baby, It's Cold Outside."

For 10 points - Barry Manilow/KT Oslin, Tom Jones/Cerys Matthews, Esther Williams/Ricardo Montalban, Ann-Margret/Brian Setzer

5 points - Bing Crosby/Doris Day (2), Ella Fitzgerald/Louis Jordan (2)

4. I am expecting a new grandson literally any day now! His mother is happy she didn't ruin Thanksgiving by going into labor mid-dinner, but we are anxious for him to come now. His parents aren't telling anyone his name until he is born. Please give me one of the top 10 boys names for 2007 from this site.

For 10 points - Zachary, Nicholas, Aidan

5 points - Matthew (2), Ethan (3)

5. Political talk is on the rise here in the US, since there is a Presidential election this time next year. Name anyone, of any party, who is officially running for President of the United States.

For 10 points - Alan Keyes, Mike Huckabee, Kent Mesplay, Barack Obama, John Edwards, Dennis Kucinich

5 points - Mike Gravel (2)

Scores

This was a tight round, but we had two players who pulled slightly ahead of the pack with 45 points, srini and szabs!
Close behind with 40 points- Gatsby, brandz, nakarinna, and cae!
With 35 points - denni
With 30 points - Mugaboo

Thanks to the 8 who played, and for the good wishes on the birth of my new grandson!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002