Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#395393 - Thu Nov 01 2007 06:31 PM Music in Spanish
Lizard_Wizard Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York City USA
Does anyone have recommendations? I LOVE Julieta Venegas---could probably listen to her for hours. Juanes and Shakira are good too. I've got a couple of the Latin Grammy nominees cds, which are nice (and some is in Portuguese!).
Trying to find more, which some success, but it's slow going. I like most types of music--from rock to pop to mariachi to bachata.
Suggestions?

#395394 - Fri Nov 02 2007 11:00 PM Re: Music in Spanish
minkpenny Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Buenos Aires
Argentina    ...
Hi, Lizard_Wizard

Have you heard of Maná? They are a Mexican band and they have some very nice songs.

Also Vicentico, who's an Argentine singer and member of the former band Los Fabulosos Cadillacs, has recorded very good songs. Another Argentine singer who has some nice songs is Diego Torres.

Then you have some other pretty famous bands like The Mexican band Café Tacuba, which I really don't know much about, or Argentine band Soda Stereo, which is a rock band. Many people in Latin America love Soda Stereo, I can't say I'm one of them, though.

There's also an Uruguayan singer called Alejandro Drexler, I've listened to some of his songs and I liked them all. He's good. He won an Academy award for writing the song "Al Otro Lado del Río" from The Motorcycle Diaries movie.

Of course there are many, many more bands and singers, but these are the ones that I could think off the top of my head.

Edited by minkpenny (Fri Nov 02 2007 11:03 PM)

#395395 - Fri Nov 02 2007 11:28 PM Re: Music in Spanish
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
I don't suppose Dora the Explorer would appeal to you?

just kidding but what I was going to say was that I suppose it's a good way to help learn a language, would it be?

#395396 - Sat Nov 03 2007 06:21 AM Re: Music in Spanish
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Minkpenny you read my mind! I watched The Motorcycle Diaries the other day and the music is sensational throughout. The soundtrack would be worth looking for.

#395397 - Sat Nov 03 2007 08:58 AM Re: Music in Spanish
rogue Offline
Mainstay

Juana Molina is excellent, if you like indie/electronica. She has four albums and they're all superb.

I love Latin funk from its heydey in the late '60s-early '70s. If that style interests you, let me know and I can post some recommendations. Though much of funk- in any language- is short on lyrics and long on the rhythmic beats.

#395398 - Sat Nov 03 2007 03:33 PM Re: Music in Spanish
Lizard_Wizard Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York City USA
Thanks for the advice!
I have heard Cafe Tacuba (I like some of it, but sometimes I get bored) and a couple Soda Stereo songs have been on Pandora. I think I'll look more into them though.
Am going to look up Mana now (but hate having to type all the codes for accents so I hope iTunes is smart)
It's been so long since I've seen the Motorcycle Diaries...I'll see if I can find the music somewhere.
I've never heard of Juana Molina, and not a big fan of electronica, but I'll look her up anyway. You never know
Yes, it's a great way to learn a language--- that's how I started. They usually give us Juanes in class because it's SO catchy and he generally sings pretty clearly. It's easiest to learn when you have the lyrics in front of you, but I'm trying to avoid that because the comprehension is important.

#395399 - Sun Nov 04 2007 01:56 AM Re: Music in Spanish
blumoon526 Offline
Learning the ropes...

Must point out, Mana is great, love them.

Also you should check out, Robi Draco Rosa, he is a singer and composer from Puerto Rico.

Ednita Nazario, has a beautiful voice and is also from Puerto Rico. Her music is more romantic, though.

Camila is a mexican band, also very romantic ballads.

There's also from the 'Reggaeton' Genre, don't know if you've heard of it, but it's very catchy and danceable. Some of my favorites are: Wisin & Yandel, Daddy Yankee, Rakim & Ken-y, Jowell & Randy, Zion...

And I know a lot more, but there's just a few of them for you to check out.

Moderator:  SilverMoonsong, Sypher