Terms of Use

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#398299 - Wed Dec 19 2007 03:01 PM Re: Mispronounced words
veronikkamarrz Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Carson City
Nevada USA 
I've always pronounced it: VUL-ner-able.

How about, emmigrate and immigrate? Is it a spelling error, or is there a difference?

#398300 - Wed Dec 19 2007 05:53 PM Re: Mispronounced words
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Emigrate means to leave, immigrate means to enter. So, you emigrate from the USA, and when you get here to Canada, you have immigrated.

#398301 - Wed Dec 19 2007 11:33 PM Re: Mispronounced words
veronikkamarrz Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Carson City
Nevada USA 
Thank you, agony! I love to learn new stuff!

#398302 - Tue Dec 25 2007 11:03 PM Re: Mispronounced words
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Adelaide South Australia    
From seeing my little cousins, I was reminded of a new mispronounciation.

Pascetti for spaghetti, and something like 'scapoine' for spaghetti as well.

When my little brother was younger, he pronounced my name 'Ena' instead of 'Ella'

#398303 - Fri Dec 28 2007 07:28 PM Re: Mispronounced words
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
I found a new one today
I have been looking at the name of a lovely singer, and today realised she is not Mary J. Bilge!

#398304 - Sat Dec 29 2007 12:59 PM Re: Mispronounced words
tsunamicharly Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Memphis
Tennessee USA
Quote:

I found a new one today
I have been looking at the name of a lovely singer, and today realised she is not Mary J. Bilge!

That is just too funny.
My neighbors have a 4 year old who loves eating "matrimony" and cheese. And now her parents are using that mispronunciation as well. With the kid it's cute, but the parents make me want to vomit.

#398305 - Sat Jan 05 2008 09:49 AM Re: Mispronounced words
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
Quote:

My neighbors have a 4 year old who loves eating "matrimony" and cheese.

Good one.
My niece, instead of saying "Ta -dah!" over one of her accomplishments, somehow turned it into 'Be-DAH!" which, unfortunately has lasted in the family vocabulary for years, among other cute verbal disasters. Newcomers to the family tend to believe we talk in code, like cult members.
I also wonder about the use of 'poin-set - a when it's really spoken as 'poinsett-ee -ah. And, since I'm a 'Mur - al' painter, I have to hide a grin when I hear customers say 'mur- ee -al', which reminds me of a grocery store cigar.

#398306 - Sat Jan 05 2008 12:57 PM Re: Mispronounced words
blusuzyq Offline
Participant

Loc: Barbourville Kentucky USA     
In our family we usually end up calling spaghetti paseggty, only because the young children often call it that. My granddaughter at age 2-3 pronounced the 'f' sound 'th' as in thinger for finger, so we sometimes revert to that as well. She is 9 now, and grins everytime someone does it because she knows the origin.

#398307 - Sat Jan 05 2008 02:19 PM Re: Mispronounced words
BurgGurl Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Virginia USA
My girlfriend and I still say "remembery" (memory) because of a little boy she used to babysit over twenty years ago. He proudly stated "I have a good remembery" once to her and we loved it so much we immediately adopted it into our own vocabularies.

#398308 - Mon Jan 07 2008 02:38 PM Re: Mispronounced words
sme733 Offline
Participant

Loc: Ontario Canada               
I think some words are pronounced differently depending where you're from. In Canada, 'aluminum' is pronounced 'al-loo-min-um', but in England I've heard people say 'al-loo-min-eee-um', which drives me nuts. Same with 'axe' for 'ask'.

#398309 - Mon Jan 07 2008 03:28 PM Re: Mispronounced words
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
Quote:

I think some words are pronounced differently depending where you're from. In Canada, 'aluminum' is pronounced 'al-loo-min-um', but in England I've heard people say 'al-loo-min-eee-um', which drives me nuts.

That's because in British-English (as in a lot of other languages), the word is actually spelt aluminium, so with an extra i. Which then warrants the difference in pronunciation.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/aluminium.htm

Edited to add link.

Edited by Leau (Mon Jan 07 2008 03:35 PM)

#398310 - Mon Jan 07 2008 05:39 PM Re: Mispronounced words
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia
The history of that word is interesting. I knew that both spellings were used, but did not know the IUPAC had standardized the spelling with the -ium ending. It only makes sense as most other metallic elements end in the same fashion.

#398311 - Mon Jan 07 2008 07:57 PM Re: Mispronounced words
stamac17 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Nova Scotia Canada            
I was watching a TV show the other day where the word lingerie was pronounced linger-ee (rhyming with finger-ee).
I laughed because I had not heard the word pronounced that way before, I wonder is this a common pronounciation anywhere?

#398312 - Mon Jan 07 2008 08:00 PM Re: Mispronounced words
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia
I've never heard it in the fashion you're referring to. Seems like the person reading the text had never heard the word before and sounded it out the way they thought it was...?

#398313 - Mon Jan 07 2008 11:45 PM Re: Mispronounced words
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Maybe they were trying to pronounce it the French way and failed? After all, it is originally a French word. In French, the first i sounds like more like a nasal English e (like in pet), the g sounds more like the s in measure, and the middle e is (nearly) silent. But the ending ee is the way the French do it.

#398314 - Tue Jan 08 2008 01:47 AM Re: Mispronounced words
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
Quote:

I think some words are pronounced differently depending where you're from. In Canada, 'aluminum' is pronounced 'al-loo-min-um', but in England I've heard people say 'al-loo-min-eee-um', which drives me nuts.

Well, I'm the opposite. I find the American pronunciation really grates on my nerves. Of course, the Americans can blame Noah Webster for this language problem (as well as many others).

As for lingerie being rhymed with "finger-ey", I think that the person pronouncing it may have been doing it on purpose - "tongue in cheek".

#398315 - Tue Jan 08 2008 05:02 AM Re: Mispronounced words
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
According to the OED, "aluminum" (i.e. the US spelling) was "the name given" to the metal "by its discoverer, Sir Humphrey Davy, in 1812." However, "aluminium" (the British spelling) was preferred by some, on the analogy of other element names. So, since Davy was a Brit, Americans can say that here, as in so many other cases, they're simply following the original British usage.

#398316 - Tue Jan 08 2008 05:14 AM Re: Mispronounced words
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

That's more or less what it said in the link I gave too, Tom. It said that Sir Humphrey went from alumium to aluminum and then to aluminium. Boy, it would have been nice if he had been able to make up his mind!

#398317 - Tue Jan 08 2008 05:46 AM Re: Mispronounced words
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
controversy ... I pronounce it con-TROV-er-sy and I can handle it when it's pronounced CON-tro-ver-sy but I wince and cover my ears when Ray Warren (a sports commentator here) mixes them up and says con-TRO-ver-sy.

#398318 - Tue Jan 08 2008 11:23 AM Re: Mispronounced words
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
Quote:

Americans can say that here, as in so many other cases, they're simply following the original British usage.

Yes, one of the things Noah Webster did when he compiled his American dictionary was to resurrect a lot of archaic and obsolete British words like aluminum. There were many words and expressions that were used in Elizabethan England which "died", and were subsequently resurrected and became part of "American" English. According to Bill Bryson's "Mother Tongue", these include:

fall, as a synonym for autumn
mad, for angry
progress, as a verb
platter, for a large dish
deck of cards, instead of pack of cards
trash, for rubbish

Of course, many of these words are now back in the English language and used frequently because of the influence of the media and the prevalence of American television shows and movies.

#398319 - Tue Jan 08 2008 12:02 PM Re: Mispronounced words
vendome Offline
Prolific

Loc: Body: PA USA Heart: Paris   
Can somebody explain to me why, in the US, we have a state spelled 'Kansas' which is univerally pronounced 'can-zas', and another state spelled 'Arkansas' but is universally pronounced 'ar-ken-saw'?

#398320 - Tue Jan 08 2008 12:20 PM Re: Mispronounced words
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
We down here have wondered over that for years, Vendome, but here's the story.
The Quapaw tribe lived west of the Mississippi River and north of the Arkansas River. Quapaws were known as the "downstream people". Probably influenced by French pronunciation of Indian names, the Algonkian-speaking Indians from the Ohio Valley called the Quapaws 'Arkansas' which means "south wind" .

Sometime in 1881, two senators started an actual floor debate over the pronunciation of both Kansas and Arkansas, which consisted of nothing more than personal preference. The present pronunciation was made legal in that year, maybe so that the Senate could get on with the actual business of running the country.

Edited to add: I feel sorry for some of the Spanish speakers who actually think they are in Kansas, perhaps being overwhelmed by a whole new language and not noticing the 'A' at the front of their new written location. We hear it all the time and it's a shock at first.

Edited by ktstew (Tue Jan 08 2008 12:27 PM)

#398321 - Wed Jan 09 2008 08:06 AM Re: Mispronounced words
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
That is really interesting, Kate! I never understood or took the time to research why the difference in pronunciation. I recall questions by all four of my kids when learning to read phonetically, learning the names of the states, and then trying to figure out how to pronounce Arkansas!

#398322 - Wed Jan 09 2008 10:21 PM Re: Mispronounced words
greenkiwi Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Wellington New Zealand
Many years ago my Aunty came to NZ from the UK for a holiday. We were going on a drive, leaving Wellington and heading through Petone(pronounced:Pea-toe-knee)when my aunty proclaimed "why would anyone call a place Pet-One! Ooops:-)

#398323 - Wed Jan 09 2008 11:57 PM Re: Mispronounced words
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Forgive me , I keep getting reminded of new ones when I read people's posts.
I was very very puzzled indeed, and could not help the teacher next door ( a New Zealand girl) when she asked me if I had a spare "type dick" in my classroom. It got embarrassing (well honestly??) until she said "I have lots of types to ply, so I shall be needing a type dick." At last! A light shone through!
She needed .... a tape deck..a tape player. Oh dear!
Lately I have realised that the word 'portakabin' was the name for a portable shed . It didn't help that I was reading it as 'portaka bin'. Oh dear again!

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943