Terms of Use

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#399428 - Sat Dec 01 2007 04:29 AM December Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
THE FT TRIVIA ROUNDS

Each day (except Sunday) one of our Trivia Round hosts will post 5 questions that have multiple possible correct answers. Each player should PM his or her answers to the host within the time frame specified (at least 48 hours, but usually more). Each unique correct answer provided (one that was not given by any other player) will receive 10 points, each non-unique correct answer will receive 5 points.

No sign-up or registration is required to play!!! and each player can play as many or as few Rounds as he or she chooses.

Mondays - Gatsby and Bethfay
    Tuesdays - Brandz_mygirl and Denni
    Wednesdays - Cae_16682 and Gatsby
    Thursdays - Nakarinna and Srini
    Fridays - Howie and Denni
    Saturdays - Mugaboo and Cinnam0n

#399429 - Sat Dec 01 2007 04:33 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Round 1 December 1

Last year we only did three rounds a week, I don't know if people want to do the same this year - but I'm going ahead with this round anyway - feel free to give it a miss if you're up to you eyes in Christmas shopping.

1. Name a show cave in Austria
2. A colony of rare bats can be found in the Hato cave on the Dutch Antilles. Give me any species of bat that live in the Netherlands Antilles.
3. The Dutch City of Haarlem is famous for it's hofjes (Almshouses built around courtyards), name one please.
4. Jan Janszoon van Haarlem was a pirate who took 108 people from Ireland and sold them as slaves to North Africa in 1631. The incident inspired Thomas Osborne Davis to write a poem called "The Sack of Baltimore".
Give me a place mentioned in the poem.
5. Name one of the ten tallest buildings in Baltimore (Maryland, USA).

Just give me a buzz if you need a link, but make sure you buzz before noon on Wednesday (FT time), as that's when the round will close.

#399430 - Tue Dec 04 2007 12:18 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Round 4 quiz – December

Today’s quiz – “Mish-Mash III”
No specific topic, just stuff that I came across on the internet today. Hope you’ll have fun with the quiz.

1) Whilst surfing the WWW, I half watched/listened to an episode of “Deadliest Catch” on the Discovery Channel. The series made me appreciate all the efforts by the fishermen to bring crabs to my dinner plate, which I had never given much thought to before. For those who may not have seen the series, it’s a documentary style reality show that follows the crews of certain fishing vessels during the crabbing (Alaskan King crab and Opilio crab) seasons when the seas seem to be wildest. The term “deadliest” is used because of the high rate of death/injuries that occurs during these fishing trips. Please name me a fishing vessel that was featured in Season 1 of the series.

2) I checked my library account on-line and discovered that I have a library book due tomorrow. Please give me the name of any community library found in Singapore.

3) I read somewhere that dogs that live closely with humans tend to follow the same sleeping hours that their humans do. My dog sleeps through the night, goes to bed earlier than I do and sometimes wakes up after me. Talk about a good night’s sleep. But unusually she was wide awake last night into the early hours of today. She pottered around the house and, as I was worried that it was a recurrence of the tummy problem she had last week, I stayed awake too, following after her. She eventually got tired and went to bed. This site has some useful tips for a good night’s sleep. Please give me any one tip for ‘a better sleep environment’ –or- ‘a better pre-sleep ritual’. Just the sub-heading will do, no further descriptions required.

4) “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street” had its premiere on Monday 3 December at the Ziegfeld Theatre in New York City. This theatre is part of a chain of cinemas. Please name me an art theatre from that chain.

5) There are a lot of fan fiction out there concerning the “Harry Potter” characters. Some of these do make excellent reading. One new fan fiction is by an American, George Lippert entitled “James Potter and the Hall of Elders’ Crossing” which is a sequel to Book 7 “Deathly Hallows”. This fan fiction was recently highlighted in the news when it was reported that Ms. Rowling had ok’d fan fiction sequels posted on the internet provided that they were not sold and it was made clear she was not involved. Please give me the title of any of the first ten chapters of “James Potter and the Hall of Elders’ Crossing”. You will need a password if you intend to read this fan fiction.

That’s it. Please buzz if you need help. This round will close on Saturday 8 December midnight FT time. I’ve changed my round closings from Friday to Saturday, hoping this will allow more busy players to catch up on the weekend.

#399431 - Wed Dec 05 2007 02:59 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 5 ~ Wednesday

I decided late last week to do my Round for today on a candidate in the running for US President over here. And I wanted to rustle up a Republican one, too. While shopping the "hot ticket" names, I was reminded that Giuliani pretty much peaked six years ago, McCain is a tad too excitable for this voter, Huckabee just *erm* sounds like an ingredient in a regional pie too much and I'm embarrassed to say that I don't know one darned thing about this Ron Paul person. Alas, though. It matters not ... I'm afraid they're all affiliated with the wrong club this year . But, at any rate, I offer you Former Governor, and widely-considered frontrunner (this week, anyway), W. 'Mitt' Romney...

1. Willard Mitt Romney was born in Michigan on March 12, 1947. He was the Governor of Massachusetts until January 2007. He is historically involved with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and went to college in and is actively mixed up in many things Utah. The dude gets around, don't he ? Anyway, he was president and CEO of the 2002 Olympic Winter Games held in Salt Lake City, UT - and the event was (of course) visited by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. The first director of that choir, from 1890-1916, was Evan Stephens - who wrote what is now the Official State Hymn in Utah. To begin, please tell me a phrase (just 3-5 words) that precedes "Utah, We Love Thee" in the lyrics of that song (and that's the title of it, too, incidentally), such as 'Lands of the mountains high...' (but don't use that one, since I just did ).

2. Romney attended Brigham Young University where he graduated as valedictorian of his class in 1971. Soon after that he was off to Harvard Law School, political ambitions doubtlessly in place already. While at BYU there is no indication, however, that he played on their Lacrosse team - which is too bad, as the school historically has one of the finest collegiate squads for that sport in the entire country. This time, kindly tell me an athlete on the Brigham Young (Provo Campus) Men's Lacrosse team roster for 2008 ~ but only pick from those players whose hometowns are/were in Utah. Thank you!

3. As mentioned, Mr. Romney served as Governor of Massachussetts - but only for one term. He decided (rather wisely) that running an entire state AND campaigning for the Presidency in earnest might easily wear a person out so, as he is somewhat famous for doing, he set his sights on the highest possible goal. He has the mostly large misfortune of being a member of the Republican party this year (meaning he's got a mighty hard backlash to work against), but he is doing well so far. If nothing else, his poll numbers are good and he looks rather dapper in photographs. While on the subject of Massachusetts bigshots, though, I'd like to know another Republican governor of that fondly nicknamed 'Bay State' who served in the 20th or 21st century, OK?

4. Over at mittromney.com, anyone with even a fleeting interest in the man and his various missions can bone up on exactly how wonderful he happens to be. As on all websites (or campaign headquarters in any format, quite frankly), one can quickly discover that, short of walking on water or healing lepers with a touch to the forehead of the afflicted, their "guy or gal" is the best thing to happen to the social structure of the planet since citizenry of Nazareth happened along in biblical times . Potential Papal dispensations aside, Romney has 6 state campaign headquarters listed there - in Michigan, Florida, South Carolina, Iowa, Nevada & New Hampshire. Have a look and tell me a city OR a street name where one of them has their official address (there are 10 answers here ... one HQ only displays an email address, and we're not interested in those today). And limit your search to ONLY that official site, please.

5. Over on the website 'Texans for Mitt ' there is a copy of the Ten Issues America Must Address to Remain The Economic and Military Superpower as per Governor Romney's PAC (or Political Action Committee). Far be it for me and my general lack of sociological/political skills to say so, but I don't see anything particularly Texan, Republican, Mormon, Mitt-ish or otherwise significantly "specialized" about said roster in the slightest. Sounds like perfectly good sense! It also sounds like an assortment of urgent and debate-worthy topics ANY serious candidate for any public position might find important. But, as I editorialize slightly and digress shamelessly ~ please tell me one of those ten things 'America Must Address to Remain The Economic and Military Superpower'. And that'll wrap up today's questions !

We'll close this one up on Sunday Morning (FT time). I'll holler in advance, I suspect. Have a fine end-of-week, everyone! See you in a few days, eh ?

Edited by Gatsby722 (Wed Dec 05 2007 09:08 AM)

#399432 - Wed Dec 05 2007 12:46 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Answers Round 1 - 7 played

1. Name a show cave in Austria.
For 10 points: Allander Tropfsteinhöhle; Eisensteinhöhle; Griffener Tropfsteinhöhle; Lamprechtsofen; Obir Tropfsteinhöhlen
For 5 points: Gassel-Tropfsteinhöhle [2]
Not mentioned include: Eisriesenwelt; Koppenbrüllerhöhle; Mammuthöhle; Rieseneishöhle; Spannagelhöhle

2. A colony of rare bats can be found in the Hato cave on the Dutch Antilles. Give me any species of bat that live in the Netherlands Antilles.
For 10 points: Mexican Funnel-eared Bat (Natalus tumidirostris); Peter's Ghost-faced Bat (Mormoops megalophylla intermedia); Southern Long-nosed Bat
For 5 points: Curacao Myotis [2]; Little White-shouldered Bat [2]
Not mentioned: Bulldog Bat; Davy's Naked-backed Bat; Jamaican Fruit Bat; Lesser Doglike Bat; Mexican Free-tailed Bat; Miller's Long-tongued Bat; Tree Bat; Velvety Free-tailed Bat

3. The Dutch City of Haarlem is famous for it's hofjes (Almshouses built around courtyards), name one please.
For 10 points: Hofje van Bakenes; Frans Loenenhofje; Zuiderhofje; Hofje van Staats; Hofje van Oorschot
For 5 points: Hofje van Noblet [2]
Not mentioned: Vrouwe-en Antonie Gasthuys; Brouwershofje; Hofje van Loo; Hofje Codde en Van Beresteijn; Bruiningshofje; Lutherse Hofje; Hofje In den Groenen Tuin; Hofje van Guurtje de Waal; Hofje van Willem Heythuijsen; Wijnbergshofje; Remonstrants Hofje; Teylers Hofje; Gravinnehof; Johan Enschedé Hof

4. Jan Janszoon van Haarlem was a pirate who took 108 people from Ireland and sold them as slaves to North Africa in 1631. The incident inspired Thomas Osborne Davis to write a poem called "The Sack of Baltimore". Give me a place mentioned in the poem.
For 10 points: Carbery; Innisherkin; Dungarvan
For 5 points: Cape Clear (Cape Cléire) [2]; Skull [2]
Not mentioned: Dunashad; Bandon; Affadown; Dardanelles; Mecca

5. Name one of the ten tallest buildings in Baltimore (Maryland, USA).
For 10 points: Bank of America Tower; 100 East Pratt Street
For 5 points: Legg Mason Building [3]; Blaustein Building [2]
Not mentioned: William Donald Schaefer Tower; Commerce Place; World Trade Center; Tremont Plaza Hotel; Charles Towers South; 250 West Pratt Street

Scores:
45 points: Gatsby722
40 points: Cinnam0n; Denni19; Maninmidohio; Szabs
30 points: Brandz_mygirl; Srini701

A fine start to the month for our winner Gatsby, scoring a hard won point for the month.
Welcome to ManInMidOhio, who performed admirably for his first shot - well done.

Edited to correct scores

Edited by Mugaboo (Wed Dec 05 2007 01:40 PM)

#399433 - Thu Dec 06 2007 12:44 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 6 - Thursday

Today's round was inspired by the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (TMNT). I have no good explanation for how this theme came up, so I'll claim supernatural intervention.

1. Donatello, traditionally considered the most intelligent of the turtles, often invents and builds machines for the Turtles' activities. Donatello has been portrayed by many different actors over the course of TMNT; please name an actor who has played/voiced Donatello in any TMNT movie or television program (no video games).

2. Raphael is the sarcastic, wise-cracking turtle of the bunch. He is usually more aggressive than the other turtles. Raphael's signature weapon is a pair of sai, an Okinawan kobudo weapon. Please give me the primary name of any another Okinawan kobudo weapon listed on the International Okinawan Kobudo Association's website (Click on the 'Weapons' tab.)

3. Michelangelo, the 'party dude,' is infamous for his pizza addiction and the unorthodox toppings he favors. Coyote Creek Pizza (www.coyotecreekpizza.com) offers some inventive - but infinitely more palatable - combinations of ingredients, along with the classics. From Coyote Creek Pizza's online menu, please select a type of pizza under the heading "The Full Monty."

4. Leonardo, the leader of the turtles, is the wise (well, wis-er) turtle of the bunch. He has a strict code of honor derived (directly or indirectly) from Bushido, the Japanese code of conduct originating from samurai. Please tell me one of the Seven Virtues of Bushido.

5. The TMNT enterprise is still going strong. The TMNT comics date back almost 25 years to 1984, and a barnd-new movie was released this year. In addition to movies, television series, and video games, the TMNT brand has been marketed in all sort of venues including food. From this page , please give me the name of a listed TMNT food tie-in.

This round will close Tuesday at noon FT time. Please PM me if there are any questions. Good luck!

#399434 - Sat Dec 08 2007 05:21 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Twenty Four Hours to go for Round 5....

#399435 - Sat Dec 08 2007 06:38 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Hi all, reminder that there's only 18 hours left before Round 4 closes.

#399436 - Sat Dec 08 2007 10:41 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Timaru NZ
First of all, I apologise for neglecting answering rounds lately but I will be back refreshed and eager to go soon.

Now, I have thrown together a few questions for round 7.

1) The 9th season of the IRB Sevens World Series is underway. New Zealand have won 7 of the previous 8 world series and have won the first 2 tournaments of the 2007/08 series. Please give me location of one of the 8 tournaments in the 2007/08 series.
2) Having recently read Michael Palin's latest travel series book, "New Europe", I am awaiting the start the the accompanying television series on Sunday. Please give one of the 20 countries that Michael Palin visited on this journey.
3) Please give a city that has hosted the summer Olympic Games since World War II.
4) From New Zealand Lighthouses, please give me the location of an active lighthouse in the South Island.
5) Please give me one of the first 12 letters of the Greek alphabet.

#399437 - Sun Dec 09 2007 12:29 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 4 is now closed. Results to come shortly.

#399438 - Sun Dec 09 2007 12:43 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 4 – December answers

A lovely group of 8 players! Thank you all.

1) Whilst surfing the WWW, I half watched/listened to an episode of “Deadliest Catch” on the Discovery Channel. The series made me appreciate all the efforts by the fishermen to bring crabs to my dinner plate, which I had never given much thought to before. For those who may not have seen the series, it’s a documentary style reality show that follows the crews of certain fishing vessels during the crabbing (Alaskan King crab and Opilio crab) seasons when the seas seem to be wildest. The term “deadliest” is used because of the high rate of death/injuries that occurs during these fishing trips. Please name me a fishing vessel that was featured in Season 1 of the series.

For Ten Points: Retriever, Maverick, Saga, Northwestern

For Five Points: Billikin (2), Lady Alaska (2)

Not mentioned: Seven more vessels: Big Valley, Cornelia Marie, Fierce Allegiance, Lucky Lady, Sea Star, Time Bandit, Western Viking

2) I checked my library account on-line and discovered that I have a library book due tomorrow. Please give me the name of any community library found in Singapore.

For Ten Points: Choa Chu Kang, Ang Mo Kio

For Five Points: Bukit Batok (2), Toa Payoh (2), Bukit Merah (2)

Not mentioned: Fourteen more community libraries: Bishan, Central Lending Library, Jurong West, Marine Parade, Queenstown, Sengkang, Yishun, Bedok, Bukit Panjang, Cheng San, Geylang East, library@esplanade, Pasir Ris, Sebawang

3) I read somewhere that dogs that live closely with humans tend to follow the same sleeping hours that their humans do. My dog sleeps through the night, goes to bed earlier than I do and sometimes wakes up after me. Talk about a good night’s sleep. But unusually she was wide awake last night into the early hours of today. She pottered around the house and, as I was worried that it was a recurrence of the tummy problem she had last week, I stayed awake too, following after her. She eventually got tired and went to bed. This site has some useful tips for a good night’s sleep. Please give me any one tip for ‘a better sleep environment’ –or- ‘a better pre-sleep ritual’. Just the sub-heading will do, no further descriptions required.

For Ten Points: Jot down all of your concerns and worries, Make your bedroom primarily a place for sleeping, Don’t eat a large heavy meal before bed, Incorporate bedtime rituals, Relax for a while before going to bed.

For Five Points: Make sure your bed is large enough and comfortable (3)

Not mentioned: Six more tips: Keep your bedroom peaceful and comfortable, Hide your clock, Keep a regular schedule, Bedtime snacks can help, Go to sleep when you are sleepy, Avoid “over the counter” sleep aids.

4) “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street” had its premiere on Monday 3 December at the Ziegfeld Theatre in New York City. This theatre is part of a chain of cinemas. Please name me an art theatre from that chain.

For Ten Points: Red Bank Art Cinemas, Bronxville Cinemas, Larchmont Playhouse, Cinema 100, Manhasset Cinemas, Clairidge Cinemas

For Five Points: Bala Theatre (2)

Not mentioned: Two more art theatres: Washington Township, Roslyn Cinemas

5) There are a lot of fan fiction out there concerning the “Harry Potter” characters. Some of these do make excellent reading. One new fan fiction is by an American, George Lippert entitled “James Potter and the Hall of Elders’ Crossing” which is a sequel to Book 7 “Deathly Hallows”. This fan fiction was recently highlighted in the news when it was reported that Ms. Rowling had ok’d fan fiction sequels posted on the internet provided that they were not sold and it was made clear she was not involved. Please give me the title of any of the first ten chapters of “James Potter and the Hall of Elders’ Crossing”. You will need a password if you intend to read this fan fiction.

For Ten Points: Holiday at Grimmauld Place, The Grotto Keep, Harry’s Midnight Meeting

For Five Points: The Shadow of Legends (2), The Progressive Element (3)

Not mentioned: Arrival of the Alma Alerons, The Ghost and the Intruder, The Book of Austramaddux, Broken Loyalty, The Debate Betrayal

Results!

Top Place:
40 points: Maninmidohio, Gatsby, Nakarinna, Denni, Cinnamon – Great work to all five. You each get the coveted one point. First time I’ve ever had so many winners. Warm welcome to Maninmidohio.

Other results:
35 points: Mugaboo, Srini

30 points: Szabs

#399439 - Sun Dec 09 2007 08:18 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 5 - Wednesday
"Mitt Romney"
Eight entirely enjoyable participants this time !

1. To begin, please tell me a phrase (just 3-5 words) that precedes "Utah, We Love Thee" in the lyrics of that song (and that's the title of it, too, incidentally).

For 10 Points:
Thy lustre shines afar..., Land of the pioneers..., Grow with the coming years..., God guarded evermore...
For 5 Points:
Land of the sunny sky... (2), Columbia's newest star... (2)

That was almost all of 'em - the other two phrases are 'In robes of statehood dressed...' -and- 'She proudly comes to view...'.

2. This time, kindly tell me an athlete on the Brigham Young (Provo Campus) Men's Lacrosse team roster for 2008 ~ but only pick from those players whose hometowns are/were in Utah.

For 10 Points:
Jake Ferrin (hometown: Lindon), Mark Manning (Orem), Scott Lalor (Salt Lake City), Jeff Van Dyke (Orem), Grant Cotterell (Draper), Brent Parsons (Orem).
For 5 Points:
Adam Andre (Bountiful) (2).

Nine more of these young fellows, all of whom shall remain (and might probably prefer it that way ) anonymous.

3. While on the subject of Massachusetts bigshots, though, I'd like to know another Republican governor of that fondly nicknamed 'Bay State' who served in the 20th or 21st century, OK?

For 10 Points:
Samuel Walker McCall, Robert Fiske Bradford, Jane Maria Swift.
For 5 Points:
John Anthony Volpe (3), Winthrop Murray Crane (2).

Interesting the small pool of answers given here as there are nineteen who have served as Governor of Massachusetts. The only one that I recognized (keeping in mind that I don't live in New England, of course) was future US President Calvin Coolidge.

4. Romney has 6 state campaign headquarters listed there (at mittromney.com) - in Michigan, Florida, South Carolina, Iowa, Nevada & New Hampshire. Have a look and tell me a city OR a street name where one of them has their official address

The locations: Orchard Lake Road in Farmington Hills, Michigan; 109th Street in Urbandale, Iowa; South Monroe Street in Tallahassee, Florida; Elm Street in Manchester, New Hampshire; Gervais Street in Columbia, South Carolina.

For 10 Points:
Farmington Hills, Urbandale, South Monroe Street, Manchester, Gervais Street, Columbia.
For 5 Points:
Tallahassee (2).

5. Please tell me one of those ten things 'America Must Address to Remain The Economic and Military Superpower'.

For 10 Points:
#7 - Simplifying the Tax System; #9 - Extending Health Insurance to All Americans.
For 5 Points:
#1 - Defeating the Jihadists (2); #5 - Achieving Energy Independence (2); #10 - Raising the Bar on Education (2).

Not mentioned: #2 - Competing with Asia; #3 - Stopping Runaway Spending; #4 - Getting Immigration Right; #6 - Affirming America's Culture and Values and, #8 - Investing in Technology.

And now onward to today's (non-partisan, of course ) RESULTS...

45 points! .... denni19, nakarinna *Bravo to both !*
40 points! .... maninmidohio, Mugaboo, srini701
35 points! .... brandz_mygirl
30 points! .... cinnamOn, szabs

And there you have it, voters and spectators! Well-answered all across the roster, our point-grabbers finally ending up denni19 and nakarinna ~ and sturdy congratulations are extended to them indeed! I have to add that, perhaps?, that mysterious snowclone awarded to denni19 last month (as consolation) had magical powers and managed to keep her answers safe this week ? As for nakarinna? Well, she's in Chicago - and rumor has it that lucky and amazingly smart people live there, too . Great job, everybody!
And let me join the pack in welcoming maninmidohio to our games, too!

And I'll be back in a minute ....

#399440 - Mon Dec 10 2007 12:11 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 10 ~ Monday

I couldn't think of a theme that seemed very -erm- "zippety" today ~ not that Mitt Romney was exactly edge-of-the-seat stuff, now that I mull it over . So (especially when it would seem that coming up with a theme at all is worth a whistle and a toot) "today" seemed far enough to ponder the matter...

1. On December 10, 1971 , the quarterback for the Saint Louis Cardinals conducted the longest recorded football throw to have been verified at the time. Holy cow! It went 98 yards ~ one might as well say the entire length of a whole football field . The fellow who managed this (without hurting himself in the process, no less) was James Warren Hart. He was later inducted, to the surprise of notably few, into the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame. To begin today, might you tell me another athlete (any sport) who was inducted into that Missouri Hall of Fame the same year that Mr. Hart was?

2. Sadly, folk singer/songwriter extraordinaire Kate Wolf died on December 10, 1986. She passed away at just 44 years of age, after waging a noble and undaunted battle against leukemia. Her influence (both in life and in death) was far-reaching to musicians in many genres of it and, in tribute to both the woman and her legacy, there is an annual 'Kate Wolf Memorial Music Festival'. Please tell me someone who performed at that Memorial Festival (based on the June roster) in 2007. Note: please name duos/groups as they appear on the roster ~ don't break a trio, for example, into the three names of those in it, etc.

3. On December 10, 1968, there occurred in Tokyo the "300 Million Yen Robbery". This was Japan's largest 'heist' in history and, to this day, it remains unsolved. In a nutshell: that morning four Kokubunji branch employees of a bank transported oodles of yen in the trunk of a company car. They were stopped in the street next to Fuchu Prison by a uniformed police officer who informed them that their branch manager's house had been blown up, and they had received a warning that dynamite had been planted in the transport car. The four employees exited the vehicle in a hurry, at which time the "police" hopped into the explosive automobile and hit the road to infamy (and, evidently, places unknown forever). At any rate, Kokubunji is a city in Tokyo where one can find the Hitachi Central Research Laboratory. Hitachi is a globally successful, and socially relevant, company and they give the "Yoshiyama Award for Exemplary Service to the Community" to several young people annually. Please name one of the nine winners of that citation in 2006. Just a note: reading about the achievements of these teenagers is awesome ~ if you get a chance to do so.

4. It might be asked if the typical American filmgoer in the 1930's even knew what a "sarong" was! It didn't take long for the luscious Dorothy Lamour to make it a very well-known word (and costume) as she dazzled audiences in the series of "On The Road" movies with Bob Hope and Bing Crosby, starting in 1940. Dorothy was born on December 10, 1914 (dying in 1996) and performed, in various ways, in all seven of those "Road" movies. Please take a moment, if you would, and tell me a character she played -OR- a SOLO she sang in any of those enjoyable Hope/Crosby adventures. Be careful to choose solo tunes only, too ~ and she really was in all seven of the films appearing as a different 'character' in each...

5. Last year, on December 10, 2006, approximately a million Lebanese opposition supporters gathered in downtown Beirut, calling for the government to resign. The massive number of people involved in this protest is historically noteworthy, I suppose, but the rather constant displays of unrest in that part of the world is certainly not. The unhappiness is usually themed by 'borders' - it seems simplistic to call it a "where-does-my-yard-end-and-yours-begin?" scenario but, ultimately, it boils down to pretty much that (with countless attached problems that have become more and more fiery with time). One example: Hezbollah cites the ongoing occupation of the Shebaa Farms as the basis for its continued attacks on Israel. No one seems able to agree on whose "side" these farms belong and, as a result, they have become a fulcrum for all variety of power struggles, both political and otherwise. The Farms are on a 6-mile (or 10km) stretch of land bordering Lebanon and the Golan Heights - and there are only fourteen of them. Kindly tell me one of those 'Shebaa Farms'.

This will close, I reckon, on Friday morning. Have a holly, jolly week out there, folks!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Mon Dec 10 2007 12:45 PM)

#399441 - Mon Dec 10 2007 10:45 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 6 will be closing in a little over 25 hours...

#399442 - Mon Dec 10 2007 10:04 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Please forgive me for being very late in posting Round 8!

1. On December 8, 1886, the American Federation of Labor was founded. Later it became the AFL-CIO. Name any President of either the American Federaltion of Labor, or of the AFL-CIO.

2. On December 8, 1980, Mark David Chapman shot and killed John Lennon in front of the Dakota Apartment Building in New York. Name another famous resident of the Dakota.

3. Name a famous person who was born on December 8, after 1970.

4. Name a famous person who died on December 8, after 1970.

5. Name any holiday or observance celebrated on December 8.

This round will close on Friday at noon FT time. I'll be in and out all week, so PM if you need help!

#399443 - Tue Dec 11 2007 12:46 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 6 Results

7 splendid players entered this round…

1. Please name an actor who has played/voiced Donatello in any TMNT movie or television program.

For 10 points: Barry Gordon, Mitchell Whitfield, Gregory Garrison, Jim Raposa, Adam Carl

For 5 points: Leif Tilden (2)

Not mentioned: Sam Reigel, Richard Yee, Jason Gray-Stanford, Hidenari Ugaki

2. Please give me the primary name of any another Okinawan kobudo weapon listed on the International Okinawan Kobudo Association's website.

For 10 points: Roku-shaku Bo, Nunchaku, Nunti, Tinbei

For 5 points: Iyeku (3)

Not mentioned: Tonfa, Kama, Tekko, Suruchin, Kuwa, Shu-chu

3. From Coyote Creek Pizza's online menu, please select a type of pizza under the heading "The Full Monty."

For 10 points: Simply Southwest, Roadrunner, South of the Border, Pesto and Prosciutto, Veggie Special

For 5 points: Pizza Primavera (2)

Not mentioned: Sonoma

4. Please tell me one of the Seven Virtues of Bushido.

For 10 points: Rectitude, Loyalty, Honesty, Courage, Benevolence

For 5 points: Honor/Glory – Meiyo (2)

Not mentioned: Respect

5. Please give me the name of a listed TMNT food tie-in.

For 10 points: Pizza Crunchabungas

For 5 points: Ninja Turtles Cookies (2), Hostess Ninja Turtles Pudding Pies (2), Chef Boyardee TMNT Pasta (2)

Not Mentioned: Ninja Turtles Cereal, Fruit Snacks, Royal OOZE Gelatin Desserts

Scores:

With 45 points: maninmidohio, srini701
With 40 points: denni19, brandz_mygirl
With 35 points: Mugaboo, Gatsby722, szabs

Congratulations to maninmidohio and srini701 for picking up one trivia point each!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

Edited by nakarinna (Tue Dec 11 2007 12:49 PM)

#399444 - Tue Dec 11 2007 03:27 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 11 quiz – December

Today’s quiz – “Entertainers”
Based on Entertainment Weekly’s Top 25 Entertainers of 2007. I’ve chosen 5 names from that list and the questions are related in someway to them. I won’t name the 5 outrightly but will give you some (easy) hints as to who they are as the first part of each question. Don’t worry too much if you can’t guess the names, just send me a PM. (You only really need to know the entertainer's name for the last 2 questions).

1) Brad Pitt is a good friend, Aunty Rosemary died in 2002, lived with Max for many years before Max passed away on 1 December 2006. It has been mentioned that this person likes beer. As said person has property in Italy, please give me the name of a notable Italian brewery or beer brand.

2) Has four children at latest count, godmother is actress Jacqueline Bissest, is very close to only sibling. This person holds a Private Pilot Certificate (“PPC”) for an airplane category, single engine class rating. To get a PPC, a person will be tested on aeronautical knowledge. Please state any of the areas of aeronautical knowledge that is required to be studied as listed on this website. Just the first sentence will do or you may shorten to first 5 or 6 words of the sentence if too long. Do not provide any sub-areas that may be listed.

3) Has a thing for black eyeliner, does not live in the U.S., got married during the year. This person reportedly suffers from an eating disorder, in addition to possibly some other more serious problem. The National Eating Disorders Association (“NEDA”) has a website that gives information/advice/tips to anyone interested. Within the website, NEDA has provided a list of “Twenty Ways to Love Your Body”. Please list any of the ways that are numbered 1 to 10. Again, do just give me the first sentence.

4) Sings, writes songs, acts. Currently stars in a hit TV show, born in 1963. This person has endorsed a brand of cosmetics. Please name another celebrity that has endorsed the same brand of cosmetics.

5) Has 2 children, lives in France, Keith Richards played this person’s character's father in a movie. Please name a lead of the opposite sex that has starred with this person in a movie released from 1995 to current.

That’s it. Easy enough I hope. If help is needed, please buzz. Hope you have fun with it. This round will close on Saturday 15 December midnight FT time.

Edited to insert last line in first paragraph. Questions not affected.

Edited by brandz_mygirl (Tue Dec 11 2007 09:12 PM)

#399445 - Tue Dec 11 2007 09:13 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds
cae_16682 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: India
Poking my head in, for just a bit to present you with...

ROUND 12 - Wednesday, December 12

Its that time of the year again - and its time to celebrate with a theme of Christmas Carols, or rather my favourite Christmas Carols

1. White Christmas, the best all-time favourite Christmas carol was written by Irving Berlin and introduced by Bing Crosby for the first time in the movie Holiday Inn, where Crosby sang the song in a duet with Marjorie Reynolds. The song won the Academy Award for the Best Original Song. Name one of the other songs listed on the Holiday Inn Soundtrack

2. Mistletoe and Wine a single by Sir Cliff Richard became the UK Christmas number one single in the tear 1988. Give me one of the other Christmas Songs sang by Cliff Richard listed here

3. One of the other things keeping me busy this season is getting the kiddies in my church ready for their Chriatmas Carol service to be held on Christmas Eve. One of the items on the programme - one of the children's favourites (going by their repeated requests to rehearse it more than the other songs) is The Christmas Alphabet followed by C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S - both of which are songs which describe Christmas with the letters of the word in order. From the lyrics of either song, give me one of the alphabetical lines.

4. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing is a Christmas hymn written by Charles Wesley. This hymn is the traditional closing hymn in the Nine Lessons and Carols Order of Service followed usually in Anglican Churches both in the UK and all over the world. The most famous version of the Lessons is broadcast annually from King's College, Cambridge on Christmas Eve featuring carols sung by the college's famous Choir. The Wikipedia article on Nine Lessons and Carols lists the Order of Service that was followed in 2005. From there, give me the name of one of the Carols that were sung.

5. The Twelve Songs of Christmas by Jim Reeves is the first album that I slip into my hi-fi when this season rolls around. Give me one of the 12 tracks on that album.

This round will close on Sunday, 16th December. As usual, if you have any problems or queries, I'm only a PM away.

Hope everyone's Christmas celebrations/preparations are going on fine. Mine have kept me busy so far and its only just beginning Oh well,...

Edited by cae_16682 (Tue Dec 11 2007 09:13 PM)

#399446 - Thu Dec 13 2007 04:00 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
*Crock-A-Doodle-Doo!* ... The hollering of said rooster indicates that Round 10 will be closed to customers in 24 hours from this very time....

#399447 - Thu Dec 13 2007 02:24 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 13 ~ Thursday

Today's theme is Saratoga:

1. Saratoga Race Course, a horse-racing track, is the oldest U.S. organized sports venue. Founded in 1863, many races are run at Saratoga every year. Please name a Grade 1 Stakes race that is run at Saratoga annually.

2. General John Burgoyne, nicknamed "Gentleman Johnny," was a British general during the American Revolution. After distinguishing himself in earlier combat (namely the Seven Years' War), he surrendered to American forces at the Battle of Saratoga in 1777. Although his popularity in Britain understandably took a nosedive, he was restored to power by political allies in 1782 and served as a politician for most of his remaining days. He was buried at Westminster Abbey upon his death. Please give me the name of another person whose last name begins with a 'B' buried OR commemorated at Westminster Abbey. (Follow this link for an official list.)

3. Saratoga National Golf Club (SNGC) is an upscale golf club in Saratoga Springs, New York. While SNGC is a more recent addition to the area, it is rumored that the "club sandwich" was originally developed at a mid-nineteenth century club in Saratoga, New York. SNGC fittingly offers a 'Turkey Club' at its restaurant. Please select another sandwich SGNC serves on its lunch menu .

4. Benedict Arnold was another American Revolutionary War general who fought in the Battle of Saratoga. Unlike Burgoyne, Arnold fought on the American side, and made invaluable contributions to the American war effort. However, angry about being passed over for promotions and poor treatment by Congress, Arnold switched loyalties and joined the British cause. His early leadership was so important to the Revolution, however, that he is mentioned in Gary Blackwood's book "The Year of the Hangman," which describes an alternate history where the American side lost the war. Please name another book written by Gary Blackwood.

5. Finally, there is a variety of fish known as the saratoga, which is a freshwater bony fish found in Australia. The saratoga is a member of the genus Scleropages, of which there are six distinct species as of 2003. Please give me the scientific name (not the common name) of any of these six species.

This round will close on Tuesday at noon FT time. Please PM me with any questions. Good luck!

(edited to clarify and add a link to question 2...)

Edited by nakarinna (Fri Dec 14 2007 03:04 PM)

#399448 - Fri Dec 14 2007 04:50 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 10 - Monday
"Miscellaneous 'December 10'"
Eight erstwhile and exacting participants this time !

1. To begin today, might you tell me another athlete (any sport) who was inducted into that Missouri Hall of Fame the same year that Mr. (Jim) Hart was?

For 10 Points:
Sue Schuble (Volleyball/Basketball), John Earl Chase (Basketball)
For 5 Points:
Jerry Jones (Football) (2), Flora Mitchell (Bowling) (2), Rusty Wallace (Auto Racing) (2)

The remaining inductees were Hank Bauer (Baseball), Ed Budde (Football), Ricky McCormick (Water Skiing), "Preacher" Roe (Baseball) and Paul Martel (Football).

2. Please tell me someone who performed at the Kate Wolf Memorial Festival (based on the June roster) in 2007.

For 10 Points:
Tribal Voice ~ John Trudell & Quiltman, The Mammals, Richie Havens, Eliza Gilkyson with Nina Gerber
For 5 Points:
Rosalie Sorrels & Tom Russell (2), Hot Tuna (2)

Twenty of these acts altogether ... not many of them very well-known to the public-at-large (but well-regarded among their peers and with established smaller fan bases).

3. Hitachi is a globally successful, and socially relevant, company and they give the "Yoshiyama Award for Exemplary Service to the Community" to several young people annually. Please name one of the nine winners of that citation in 2006.

For 10 Points:
Robert Ingrams (Metairie, Louisiana), Melvin Colbert (Fort Washington, Maryland)
For 5 Points:
Ashley Gunn (Brandon, Mississippi) (4), Joanna Poz-Molesky (Berkeley, California) (2)

It would seem that 'Ashley' is found to be a rather magnetic name, eh ? The others here were Kurtis Fluck (Illinois), Antonio Jennings (Georgia), Michaelle Larracuente (Rhode Island), Franvalerstar "Star" Martin (Tennessee) and Benjamin Pomerance ( New York). I have to say, too, that I found it slightly odd that a Japanese/International company chooses these honorees and yet they select ALL youth from America? I'll hasten to say that these young people just have to represent the outstanding youth globally that were out there to be picked from.

4. Please take a moment, if you would, and tell me a character Dorothy Lamour played -OR- a SOLO she sang in any of those enjoyable Hope/Crosby adventures.

For 10 Points:
*YAY!* Everybody gets 10 on this one !
As Mima (fr. Road to Singapore, 1940); Sang "You're Dangerous" (fr. Road to Zanzibar, 1941); As Donna Latour (Road to Zanzibar); Sang "Constantly" (fr. Road to Morocco, 1942); As Princess Shalmar (Road to Morocco); Sang "Experience" (fr. Road to Rio, 1947); As Lucia Maria de Andrade (Road to Rio); Sang "Moonflowers" (fr. Road to Bali, 1952)

5. The Farms are on a 6-mile (or 10km) stretch of land bordering Lebanon and the Golan Heights - and there are only fourteen of them. Kindly tell me one of those 'Shebaa Farms'.

For 10 Points:
Al-Boraq House, Fashkool, Marah Al-Malool, Bastrah, Al-Moieaz
For 5 Points:
Zobideen (3)

Eight other farms available in the answer pool on that one...

THE RESULTS!

45 Points! .... srini701 (Wonderful job, sir!)
40 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, denni19, maninmidohio, nakarinna, szabs
35 Points! .... cae_16682, Mugaboo

G-R-E-A-T job, all, and thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedules to answer this week ! *Tip o' the Hat* to srini701, who seems to be on a mighty good 'roll' here and picks up another monthly point!
Have a fine, fine weekend everybody!

#399449 - Fri Dec 14 2007 06:44 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
ROUND 14 - Friday

Inspired by a simple, daily action we all perform majestically here on FT and on other WWW places, and I'm talking about logging in and out , which requires a username, my mind went to "Nickname(s)".

A Nickname is a short, clever, cute, derogatory, or otherwise substitute name for a person or thing's real name.

For today's Round, kindly give me:

1. The nickname of a statue in Dublin, Ireland.

2. The Name of a monarch (no other notable people please) whose nickname begins with the letter "S" (like in Henry the Silver-haired or John the Shocking )

3. The nickname of a profession.

4. A "B" nickname (begining with letter B) of a British Army regiment.

5. The nickname/username of a FunTrivia member who comes from Switzerland. (as listed in their profile)

This round will be closed on Wednesday noon, FT time. Even with this limited computer access I am having at the moment, you can still find me around once or twice a day if you need any clarifications .

#399450 - Sat Dec 15 2007 01:15 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Approximately 23 hours to go before Round 11 closes! Still time to get your entries in.

#399451 - Sat Dec 15 2007 04:20 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Round 15 December 15

As a Christmas gift, I've given you a link to all today's question.

1. Name someone who won at the IAAF's 2007 World Athletics Gala Awards.
2. Name a Peelite, who was elected to the British Parliament in 1852.
3. From this page on hyponatremia, give one one of the Drinking Do's and Don'ts.
4. Come up with any historical fact about the Scottish town of Burghead (not necessarily from this site).
5. Name a railway station on the most northerly Heritage Railway in Britain

Round will close Thursday at noon FT time. Smart people will notice that this is well before Christmas, and you are not allowed to open gifts before the day

#399452 - Sun Dec 16 2007 12:07 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 11 is now closed. Results will be posted later. I need to run some errands.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002