Terms of Use

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#399453 - Sun Dec 16 2007 05:48 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Round 11 – December answers

6 super players! Thank you very much for playing the “Entertainers” round. Everyone who played the round knows who I am referring to in each question, but I will still give the entertainer’s name in my answer.

1) As said person has property in Italy, please give me the name of a notable Italian brewery or beer brand.

Entertainer: : George Clooney

For Ten Points: Negra, Theresianer, Baladin Noel, Poretti, Birra Draco, Peroni

10 points all!

Not mentioned: I don’t know the full list of answers. However, for those interested this site will give you ten more names

2) Please state any of the areas of aeronautical knowledge that is required to be studied as listed on this website.

Entertainer: : Angelina Jolie

For Ten Points: Principles of aerodynamics powerplants and aircraft systems, Stall awareness spin entry spins and spin recovery techniques, Applicable Federal Aviation Regulations

For Five Points: Effects of density altitude on takeoff and climb performance (3)

Not mentioned: There are 9 more areas listed.

3) Within the website, NEDA has provided a list of “Twenty Ways to Love Your Body”. Please list any of the ways that are numbered 1 to 10.

Entertainer: : Amy Winehouse

For Ten Points: Wear comfortable clothes that you like and that feel good on your body, Become aware of what your body can do each day, Think of your body as the vehicle to your dreams, Think about all the things you could accomplish with the time and energy you currently spend worrying about your body and appearance

For Five Points: Don’t let your weight or shape keep you from activities that you enjoy (2)

Not mentioned: You can read up on the website if you’re interested. I only became aware when checking up on an answer by one player that there are two lists on the same topic, compiled by the same person, on the same website, that have different point #1! Thankfully the other points appear the same.

4) Please name another celebrity that has endorsed the same brand of cosmetics.

Entertainer: : Vanessa Williams, Cosmetics brand is L’Oreal

For Ten Points: Penelope Cruz, Kate Moss, Charlize Theron

For Five Points: Cybill Shepherd (2)

Not mentioned: Many many more names listed on this website]. There are only 5 answers above as one answer was incorrect and player is away and unable to provide an alternative answer. Also there appears to be some confusion over Proactiv Solution being the cosmetics brand. I did check up on Proactiv Solution and it is supposed to be an acne treatment system. But apologies for any confusion that may have arisen.

5) Please name a lead of the opposite sex that has starred with this person in a movie released from 1995 to current.

b] Entertainer: : Johnny Depp

For Ten Points: Christina Ricci (“The Man Who Cried”), Salma Hayek (“Once Upon A Time in Mexico”),

For Five Points: Charlize Theron (“The Astronaut’s Wife”) (2), Juliette Binoche (“Chocolat”) (2)

Not mentioned: Keira Knightley (“Pirates of the Caribbean” movies), Francesca Annis (“The Libertine”), Kate Winslet (“Finding Neverland”), Maria Bello (“Secret Window”), Heather Graham (“From Hell”), Penelope Cruz (“Blow”), Lena Olin (“The Ninth Gate”), Courtney Chase (“Nick of Time”), Faye Dunaway (“Don Juan DeMarco”). I tried to keep the ‘not-mentioned’ list to those movies where both Mr. Depp and the female lead had significant screen time but not necessarily together. Hope I haven’t left out any answers.

Results!

Top Place:
50 points: Maninmidohio Well done!

Other results:
40 points: Srini, Gatsby and Nakarinna

35 points: Denni

30 points: Szabs

#399454 - Sun Dec 16 2007 12:34 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds
cae_16682 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: India
Round 12 is now closed. Yes I know its late, but the results will be out in another few hours.

Edited by cae_16682 (Sun Dec 16 2007 12:35 PM)

#399455 - Mon Dec 17 2007 04:36 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 13 will be closing in a little less than 20 hours.

#399456 - Tue Dec 18 2007 07:21 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
And yet another apology for my lateness in posting these results!

Round 8

1. On December 8, 1886, the American Federation of Labor was founded. Later it became the AFL-CIO. Name any President of either the American Federation of Labor, or of the AFL-CIO.

For 10 points - George Meany

5 points - William Green (3), Lane Kirkland (2), John J. Sweeney (2)

2. On December 8, 1980, Mark David Chapman shot and killed John Lennon in front of the Dakota Apartment Building in New York. Name another famous resident of the Dakota.

For 10 points -actor Steve Guttenberg, singer Neil Sedaka, author Carson McCullers, playwright William Inge

5 points - Yoko Ono (2), actor Jose Ferrer (2)

3. Name a famous person who was born on December 8, after 1970.

For 10 points - athlete Philip Rivers, Nascar driver Kevin Harvick, actor Ian Somerhalder, martial arts fighter Frank Shamrock, athlete Christian Wilhelmsson, athlete Jeremy Accardo

5 points - athlete DeeDee Trotter (2)

4. Name a famous person who died on December 8, after 1970.

For 10 points - prime minister Golda Meir, composer Antonio Carlos Jobim, pianist Ruben Gonzalez, Bob Bell (the original Bozo the clown), singer Martha Tilton, cowboy actor Slim Pickens, writer Peter Kuczka, rock musician Gary Thain

Well done!

5. Name any holiday or observance celebrated on December 8.

For 10 points - Immaculate Conception (Spain), Constitution Day (Northern Mariana Islands), Immaculate Conception (Portugal), International Shareware Day

5 points - Fete des Lumieres (Lyon, France) (2), Day of the National Army (Spain)(2)

Scores

With a perfect 50 points, our winner is brandz_mygirl!

Close behind with 45 points is szabs,, and then nakarinna and Gatsby with 40!

Rounding out the group with 35 points, we have srini, Mugaboo, manimidohio, and denni!

Thanks so much to the 8 players who participated during this very busy time of year!

#399457 - Tue Dec 18 2007 08:07 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
bethfay Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: St Louis Missouri USA
I apologize for my absence from the Rounds over the past couple of weeks but I happen to have a quiz in my archives that I think will suit you.

... and Round 17 is brought to you by WOOD!

1 - One of the first things I think of when I think of "wood" is a golf club - well, one kind of golf club anyway. In fact there are actually 20 different types of golf clubs and they actually do have names. Give me the actual name of one of the 20 different standard golf clubs (5 woods; 9 irons; 5 wedges; 1 chipping club). (I found an excellent listing of the club names here)

2 - One of my favorite U.S. presidents was "Old Hickory" or Andrew Jackson. This colorful figure was a huge force in changing the face of American politics forever in many different ways. His eight-year term as President was a turbulent one that led to many changes in his "staff", i.e. his presidential cabinet. Name one of the Cabinet members who served under Andrew Jackson (State, War, Treasury, Navy, Postmaster General, Attorney General).

3 - The Battle of Belleau Wood was a crucial turning point during World War I which occurred during June 1918 and was a crowning victory of a long career for General John "Black Jack" Pershing. Though he is of course best known for his command during WWI, his public service career spanned over 40 years and included many assignments, not all of them military. Name an assignment that General John Pershing had during his U.S. service career from 1882 until his retirement in 1924.

4 - The U.S. Department of Agriculture has designated many areas as National Forests to preserve the natural beauty and ecological balance of important timber-rich regions. The USDA and the Forest Service manage these regions, balancing commercial, recreational and private use of these important regions. Not surprisingly, the largest areas of National Forests are concentrated in the Western and Northwestern US. Name a U.S. National Forest located in Colorado.

5 - And finally, as always, an easy one for the last ... Give me a word of 5 or more letters using the letters of the word CHERRYWOOD.

I hope you enjoy the quiz and I hope all are enjoying (surviving?) this busy time of year.

#399458 - Tue Dec 18 2007 10:17 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Well...who would have guessed that while I was editing my round somebody else was posting "Wood" ?

Anyways...

ROUND 18 - Tuesday

Today I was thinking about how much I love TREES and how, when I was a kid, I would have loved to be one.

1 -- I have to start with Arbor Day, a holiday celebrating TREES and encouraging people to plant and care for them. The National Arbor Day Foundation, the world's oldest and largest tree-planting organization, has been honouring leadership in the cause of tree planting, conservation, and environmental stewardship with various annual awards.
**From the Foundation's official website please give me one of the "Project Award" winners before 2000.

2 -- A family TREE is the totality of one's ancestors represented as a tree structure. It is said that Descent of Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom from the Romans, which lists 56 generations, is the longest family tree in the world.
**Let's not climb too high in that tree and restrict ourselves to... One of Queen Elizabeth's Great-Great-Grandparents. (there are 16 of them, of course )

3 -- The Stanford TREE is the unofficial mascot of Stanford University. It is a member of the Leland Stanford Junior University Marching Band and appears at football games, basketball games, and other events where the Band performs.
**Name one of the persons who served as "The Tree" in the 1990s.

4 -- TREEHouse (The TreeHouse Trust) is a British charity for autism education, based in London and founded in 1997 by a group of parents whose children had been diagnosed with severe autism. TreeHouse's vision is to improve, through education, the lives of children with autism and presently has 53 pupils in their school.
**From their official website please give me any date on which the School's Terms start or end in 2007-2008.

5 -- One of my very, very favourite poems (there must be a few thousands of those ) is "Birches" by Robert Frost. They are TREES aren't they?
**Feel free to send me a quote comprising ANY line/verse [1 only] in that poem. Thank you!

Round 18 will be closed on Christmas Day's afternoon - 4PM FunTrivia time.
I want to make sure you all get the necessary time to entirely read Frost's beautiful poem . I'll be around to cater to your supplementary needs regarding my questions.

Edited by denni19 (Tue Dec 18 2007 10:19 AM)

#399459 - Tue Dec 18 2007 12:14 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 13 Results

6 players were daring enough to enter this round ...

1. Please name a Grade 1 Stakes race that is run at Saratoga annually.

For 10 points: Ballerina Handicap, Whitney Handicap, Forego Handicap, Go For Wand Handicap

For 5 points: Travers Stakes (2)

Not mentioned: Alabama Stakes, Diana Handicap, Hopeful Stakes, King’s Bishop Stakes, Personal Ensign Handicap, and others

2. Please give me the name of another person whose last name begins with a 'B' buried OR commemorated at Westminster Abbey.

For 10 points: William Bill, Eleanor de Bohun, Sir Bernard Brocas, John Bradshaw

For 5 points: Frances Burney (2)

Not mentioned: John Baker (vice-admiral), Aphra Behn (poet), Robert Blake (admiral), William Blake (poet), William Blakeney (Knight of the Bath), and others

3. Please select another sandwich SGNC serves on its lunch menu.

For 10 points: Egg Salad, Eggplant Panini, Grilled Chicken, Sargo’s Burger

For 5 points: Sargo's Reuben (2)

Not mentioned: Famous Steak, Pilgrim Wrap

4. Please name another book written by Gary Blackwood.

For 10 points: “Moonshine,” “Shakespeare's Scribe”

For 5 points: “Second Sight” (2), “The Lion and the Unicorn” (2)

Not mentioned: “Wild Timothy,” “The Dying Sun,” “Beyond the Door,” “Time Masters,” “The Shakespeare Stealer,” “Shakespeare’s Spy”

5. Please give me the scientific name of any of these six species.

For 10 points: S. aureus, S. legendrei

For 5 points: S. jardinii (2), S. formosus (2)

Not Mentioned: S. leichardti, S. macrocephalus

Scores:

With 45 points: maninmidohio, Gatsby722
With 40 points: Mugaboo, denni19
With 30 points: szabs, brandz_mygirl

Congratulations to maninmidohio and Gatsby722 for picking up one trivia point each!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#399460 - Tue Dec 18 2007 08:03 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 19 - Wednesday

Hello. I'm going a little bit "regional" today. The Cleveland radio station that I grew up on, a station that was for many years considered the finest rock station in the entire country, announced a change in its legendary format recently (after many changes over time, this one seemed especially significant...). After three decades (plus), WMMS 100.7 is retiring its 'buzzard'. These are sad days, folks . *Click Here* and join me in a wee tribute....

1. WMMS latched onto (and very wisely introduced America to, promoting his music/concerts vigorously on their esteemed airwaves) a certain Brit that both looked outrageous, said very odd things, strutted "different" with enthusiasm - but boasted a talent that defied the package that occasionally presented it. 'The Buzzard' made David Bowie an American star, and recognized his genius in 1972. Before that, in 1969, Bowie's manager made a film hoping to promote David in Europe called Love You Til Tuesday. Please tell me a song from that short movie. OR, if you'd rather, tell me one of Bowie's band mates in the short-lived (but spectacular) combo called 'Tin Machine' that formed in 1989. Either/or ... Til Tuesday or Tin Machine. I ain't picky .

2. I won tickets once, listening to some call-in contest, from WMMS. Winning stuff from them was very cool, too - it was never commercialized junk that somebody was unloading/promoting; they typically gave out some very worthy freebies. I won tickets to a Herbie Hancock/Chick Corea concert at Blossom Music Center (face-to-face pearly white baby grand pianos, two hours of non-stop jazz ... um, I was in heaven). Blossom is one of those open-air venues, the musicians in a pavilion surrounded by acres of lawn with people sprawled all over the place. Very fun. But (*sigh*), even at 'Blossom Music Center', rules are rules. Kindly tell me one of the items that will not be permitted at any Special Event" (non-orchestra show), as per their public regulations there, OK? There are 11 restrictions to pick from.

3. Balto (c.1922-1933) was a Siberian Husky who led his fellow pooches on the final leg of the 1925 serum run to Nome, Alaska upon which diphtheria antitoxin was rushed -more or less- from Anchorage by dog sled to thwart an outbreak of the deadly disease (which, in turn, became the inspiration for the annual Iditarod Race). Balto is a mighty well-known and honored dog indeed, seeing as how he both saved lives AND essentially inspired an entire sporting event to happen. What does a plague-preventing canine have to do with Cleveland, Ohio Rock-n-Roll, you ask? Just down the road from the WMMS station, along the Cuyahoga River, sits the Cleveland Museum of Natural History. One of its popular exhibits is - who else? - our (stuffed, even though they prefer to call him 'mounted') Balto! Aside from him, please name another "permanent exhibit" at that museum, if you'd be so kind...

4. It was just Labor day 2007 when WMMS decided (rather quietly) to retire its tried-and-true mascot, the beloved "Buzzard" [*sniff*]. Perhaps it mattered little to most, this "wing-clipping", but to me and my chums it was the end of a dear old friend. I suppose, though, that most eyes and ears were on Jerry Lewis as he conducted his annual Labor Day Telethon on TV that day, collecting support for those suffering with muscular dystrophy. And, yes, that is far more important than a radio station, I know. The MDA telethon has as its theme song "Smile", originally heard in the 1936 Charlie Chaplin film Modern Times. While on the subject, were you to watch the 2003 DVD release of Modern Times what would be a language that you might select for the subtitles as you enjoy it?

5. To wrap this up, let us honor the generally not-so-appreciated buzzard, then. The real ones, not those that decorated 1970's T-Shirts and/or billboards in northeastern Ohio. Typically, "buzzard" is a derogatory term for any large bird that happens to be a scavenger . Well ... at least they're not predatory, yes? They just sort of "clean up", to put it nicely. And I hasten to say, too, that their generally unsavory reputation overall was handily upgraded by thirty years of WMMS 100.7 rock-n-roll 'fame'. Thank heavens for that! To finish up, tell me the common name of a raptor/buzzard in the Buteo genus of birds, please. And kindly select only from those varieties therein whose name(s) contain the word 'buzzard' (not hawk)...

We'll shut this Round down in a week (since a few days from now, it'll be Christmas and that's a day better suited for fowl other than buzzards, I reckon). I'll post results the day after all of our (hopefully) collective happy holiday. 'Til then, folks!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Wed Dec 19 2007 09:23 AM)

#399461 - Wed Dec 19 2007 11:40 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds
srini701 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Hyderabad India           
Round 20 -- Thursday, December 20

It's that time of the year again when we start compiling the "best" and "worst" of the year lists and start reviewing the year gone by. So I decided I will have my own best and worst and will start my back-to-back rounds with a "worst" list, not just for the year alone, but for a whole decade and possibly longer Here goes....

1.Name one of the 10 worst tech products of the decade as appears on this site here.

2. Name one of the 10 worst films as rated on IMDB bottom 100 list {The lower the rating the more horrible the film!}

3. The United Nations Human Development Report lists countries on the basis of the quality of life, influencing change, and addressing region-specific human development approaches to human rights, poverty, education, economic reform, HIV/AIDS, and globalization. From their website, go to the statistics page and list for me one of the 10 worst countries (that are low on human development) please .

4. Music and appreciation of it is always subjective, so without further talk, name one of the 10 worst music bands as listed on this site here {The site lists 50, I want just the top 10}

5. Finally, I want you to name one of the worst books ever written as listed on this web page. Please pick your answer from the "Obnoxious" category only .

That's it for now.....lemme see if I can come up with a "best" list for the next round .... This round stays open till 28th December to enable as many of you to pick the "worst" answers as possible

Have a wonderful Christmas, folks!

--srini

edited to add exact requirements for some questions.

Edited by srini701 (Wed Dec 19 2007 11:45 PM)

#399462 - Thu Dec 20 2007 12:54 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

After a small (12 hours difference ) confusion between noon and midnight, Round 14 is now closed and results will be posted later today.

#399463 - Thu Dec 20 2007 04:12 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Results for ROUND 14

8 lovely players for the Friday round. I bow to you

1. The nickname of a statue in Dublin, Ireland.

10 points: Stiffy by the Liffey [the Spire of Dublin], Quare in the Square [statue of Oscar Wilde], Aggravator with the Rotovator [statue of James Connolly], The Dolly with the Trolley [statue of Molly Malone]

5 points: Meeting of the Waters (statue of Thomas Moore) [2], The Fag on the Crag (statue of Oscar Wilde) [2]

As I asked for a nickname, it didn't matter if the same statue was picked, as long as different nicknames were given.

2. The Name of a monarch (no other notable people please) whose nickname begins with the letter "S"

10 points: Ferdinand IV, King of Castile – The Summoned, Louis II of France – The Stammerer, Magnus Nilsson, Swedish pretender – The Strong, Eric IX of Sweden – The Saint

5 points: Olaf II of Norway – The Stout [2], Louis V of France – The Sluggard [2]

3. The nickname of a profession.

10 points: Clothes horses (fashion models), Bobbies (policemen), Foodie (chef), Flatfoot (policemen), Chips (ship’s carpenter), Shovelbums (archaeologists/excavators)

5 points: Sawbones (surgeon/doctor) [2]

4. A "B" nickname (begining with letter B) of a British Army regiment.

10 points: The Black Watch, Bingham's Dandies, The Black Mafia, Bob's Own, The Bengal Tigers, The Bloodsuckers

5 points: The Borg [2]

5. The nickname/username of a FunTrivia member who comes from Switzerland. (as listed in their profile)

10 points: mermaid61, Weetabixx, kymosabi, Pituca, Basilisk810, ice.pod

5 points: Nineteenosix [2]

The results for Round 14 are:

50 points: Brandz ---> Congratulations !

45 points: Zorba

40 points: Gatsby, Maninmidohio, Mugaboo, Nakarinna, Srini

35 points: Szabs

Thank you all for playing .
The monthly point for this round was very elegantly snatched by Brandz. Well done mate !

Edited by denni19 (Thu Dec 20 2007 04:13 PM)

#399464 - Thu Dec 20 2007 04:33 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 15 will stay open for another 18 hours. I'd just compiled the results when *!*Poof*!* they vanished, so I'll have to do them again tomorrow.

#399465 - Fri Dec 21 2007 01:45 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
srini701 Offline
Star Poster

Quote:

I'd just compiled the results when *!*Poof*!* they vanished, so I'll have to do them again tomorrow.

Very unlikely, but I just hope the new results will produce an "upset" and see me on tops

Don't worry, Malcolm....enjoy your holidays and get back to the results as and when you have the time

#399466 - Fri Dec 21 2007 12:29 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 15 - 9 played

1. Name someone who won at the IAAF's 2007 World Athletics Gala Awards.
For 10 points: Asafa Powell; Vitaly Petrov
For 5 points: Meseret Defar [3]; Haile Gebrselassie [4]
Not mentioned: Tyson Gay; Blanka Vlasic; Carl Lewis; Paula Radcliffe; Donald Thomas; Ruth Bisibori Nyangau

2. Name a Peelite, who was elected to the British Parliament in 1852.
For 10 points: Sir James Buller East; James William Freshfield; William Ewart Gladstone; Henry Goulburn; Sir Thomas Frankland Lewis; Jonathan Peel
For 5 points: Henry Fitzroy [3]
Not mentioned: Sir James Graham; Sidney Herbert; Sir James Weir Hogg, Bt; Sir Robert Peel, Bt; Melville Portal; James Archibald Stuart-Wortley; Sir John Young

3. From this page on hyponatremia, give one one of the Drinking Do's and Don'ts.
For 10 points: Follow your own plan; Don't rely solely on water; Don't gain weight during exercise; Don't restrict salt in your diet; Don't use dehydration to lose weight; Don't delay drinking during exercise
For 5 points: Drink plenty during meals [3]
Not mentioned: Start exercise well hydrated; Weigh yourself; Drink during exercise; Ingest sodium during exercise; Don't overdrink

4. Come up with any historical fact about the Scottish town of Burghead.
For 10 points: Location of the largest Iron Age fort in Britain; In about 1750, Alexander Stephen (the first one of Alexander Stephen & Sons) began shipbuilding at Burghead; The planned village was built between 1805 and 1809; The building of the village devastated the fort and archaeology; From 1807, Thomas Telford built the harbour with 3-storey stone warehouses surrounding it; The Burghead well was discovered and cleared out in 1809 while searching for a possible water supply for the new town development; Burghead became important for the malting industry following the arrival of the railway in 1862.
For 5 points: A Pagan fire festival called "The Burning of the Clavie" held in the old tradition [2] (Others were stamped out by the church in the 17th century. Burghead didn't have a church until the mid-19th century, so it survived)

5. Name a railway station on the most northerly Heritage Railway in Britain.
For 10 points: Dufftown; Loch Park; Drummuir; Auchindachy
For 5 points: Keith Junction [3]; Keith Town [2]
Not mentioned: Towiemore

Scores:
50 points: Brandz mygirl
45 points: Maninmidohio; Nakarinna; Zorba scank
40 points: Denni19
35 points: Gatsby722; Szabs
30 points: Lizard Wizard
26 points: Srini701

With such a range of scores Brandz did exceedingly well to snatch the lone monthly point. Srini seems to have gained an extra point on the recount however.
Merry Christmas all.

#399467 - Fri Dec 21 2007 06:55 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds
bethfay Offline
Forum Adept

Round 17 will close tomorrow morning (Saturday) FT time but there's still room for more to join in!

#399468 - Sat Dec 22 2007 08:08 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Ok, in the spirit of the season, my round will have to do with Christmas things, and just maybe I'll be very lenient on the answers!

Round 22

1. Name your favorite Christmas song, religious or otherwise.

2. Name your favorite Christmas movie.

3. Name the shape of the favorite ornament hanging on your Christmas tree.

4. Name a food that you or your family eats exclusively around the Christmas holidays.

5. Name a figure in a traditional Nativity scene.

I'll wait until Wednesday afternoon to close this. Merry Christmas, everyone!

#399469 - Sat Dec 22 2007 10:06 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
bethfay Offline
Forum Adept

Round 17 Answers

There were 9 wonderful players for the WOOD round!

1 - Give me the actual name of one of the 20 different standard golf clubs (5 woods; 9 irons; 5 wedges; 1 chipping club).
For 10 points: Sand Wedge; Lob Wedge; Jigger
For 5 points: Mid-Mashie (#3 iron) [2]; Mashie-Iron (#4 iron) [2]; Mashie-Niblick (#7 iron) [2]
Not mentioned: Driver (#1 wood); Brassie (#2 wood); Spoon (#3 wood); Cleek (#4 wood); Baffy (#5 wood); Driving Iron (#1 iron); Mid-Iron (#2 iron); Mashie (#5 iron); Spade Mashie (#6 iron); Pitching-Niblick (#8 iron); Niblick (#9 iron); Pitching Wedge; Gap Wedge; Chipping Wedge

2 - Name one of the Cabinet members who served under Andrew Jackson (State, War, Treasury, Navy, Postmaster General, Attorney General).
For 10 points: Benjamin Butler (Atty Gen); Louis McLane (Treasury/State); Lewis Cass (War); Martin Van Buren (State); William Duane (Treasury)
For 5 points: Roger B. Taney (Treasury/A.G.) [4]
Not mentioned: Edward Livingston (State); John Forsyth (State); Samuel Ingham (Treasury); Levi Woodbury (Treasury/Navy); John Eaton (War); John Berrien (Atty Gen); William Barry (Post Gen); Amos Kendall (Post Gen); John Branch (Navy); Mahlon Dickerson (Navy)

3 - Name an assignment that General John Pershing had during his U.S. service career from 1882 until his retirement in 1924.
For 10 points: Professor, University of Nebraska (1891); Instructor, US Mil Acad (1897); US military observer, Balkans/France (1908)
For 5 points: Cmdr, Army 8th Brigade (S.F. Presidio; Mexican Punitive Expedition) (1914-1917) [2]; Troop L, 6th Cav (New Mexico) (1886) [2]; Military attache, US Embassy, Tokyo [2]
Not mentioned: Major of Volunteer Forces (Spanish-American War); several assignments in the Philippines (1899-1902); and of course Cmd Gen, AEF, WWI

4 - Name a U.S. National Forest located in Colorado.
For 10 points: Medicine Bow-Routt; Grand Mesa; White River
For 5 points: San Isabel (2); Uncompahgre (4)
Not mentioned: Arapaho; Gunnison; Pike; Rio Grande; Roosevelt; San Juan

5 - Give me a word of 5 or more letters using the letters of the word CHERRYWOOD.
For 10 points: DOWER; CHOWDER; DOWRY; WORDY; CHORE
For 5 points: DRYER (2); OCHERY (2)
Not mentioned: CORRODE; COWHERD; COWDREY; RECORD; WHERRY; OCHRE; DECRY; DECOR; CROWD; HORDE; ORDER; ROWDY; WORRY

And so the final results are ...
With 40 points: gatsby; nakarinna; zorba_scank
With 35 points: denni; szabs; mugaboo; srini; maninmidohio
With 30 points: brandz_mygirl

Congrats to gatsby, nakarinna and zorba_scank on grabbing another point for December. Here's wishing all a very happy holiday!!

Edited by bethfay (Sat Dec 22 2007 10:08 AM)

#399470 - Sun Dec 23 2007 06:03 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 24 ~ Monday
...a wee bit early, too...

Well... 'Tis the night before Christmas . Lovely night it is, all across the world people are happily sharing fellowship, friends, family and anticipations to varying degrees of loveliness and goodwill. Ergo and thusly, this'll be an easy one today (no need to interrupt festivities with TOO much detail). Since I'm reasonably sure that everybody, considering your constant displays of excellent taste and good sense, have all of the following music in your collections, nothing more required this time than a glance at the CD/album shelf? Just to find that chestnut, that favorite Yuletide tune, that "wouldn't-seem-like-Christmas-without-it" fave ditty. OK. Or maybe not ...

1. While you busily deck the halls, what might be a tune from the album "Up Your Chimney" by the legendary (and almost-as-popular-as-Bing Crosby - ahem- with a lot more irreverance) Dr. Elmo that accompanies your festive 'decking'?

2. As you grab a snort of belly-warming rum (just before you waste it into a batch of eggnog *sigh*) there is another album playing! Hear it? Why, it's "White Trash Christmas" by that trailer park hero Bob Rivers . What song from that CD might you be listening to?

3. Christmas is indeed for everyone. This would include those fans of metal, punk, grunge and other alternative types of holiday music. Shall we have a listen (and perhaps a 'headbang' or two)? Put on "Sleighed: Other Side of Christmas", contributed to by various artists. Pick a song from it, OK [and see if the filter, here on FT, doesn't censor you]? *Just kidding* ~ only one answer is "iffy", and that word can be substituted with a symbol or two...

4. Next? Grab that copy of "Holidays in Dementia" - another collection whereupon you can hear any number of skilled minstrels (notably, of course, Doctor Demento). So which song might you listen to on that classic assembly of Yuletide rapture ?

5. Yikes. Now, frightening as it is, I actually know people who own (and even listen to) this December gem! Indeed, those same people have that Big Mouth Billy Bass talking fish adorning their kitchen walls, too . Anyway, to finish up, tell me a tune on the LP "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" by Elmo and Patsy!
And now yer' done!

And, honestly, I have no idea when to close this one. Let's say Friday night, FT time.
And, you know I couldn't leave without saying it yet one more time: Have a grand, peaceful, warm and blissful Christmas, my friends! Each and every one of you.

#399471 - Mon Dec 24 2007 01:29 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
srini701 Offline
Star Poster

Quote:

Srini seems to have gained an extra point on the recount however.

Yayyyyy!!!!!!! In all the years of the trivia rounds, I become the first ever player to get a score ending with neither 0 nor 5

Thanks, Malcolm for a unique record...Beth, are you watching? You better credit me for this "achievement" in your round-up

#399472 - Tue Dec 25 2007 07:22 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Round 25 quiz – December

Today’s quiz – “Christmas Day”

You wake up in the morning. You suddenly realise it’s Christmas Day and you hop out of bed (ignoring the instant chill in the air and the goose bumps on your arms) as you hastily reach for your ancient but immensely warm dressing gown. You rush downstairs to the kitchen all intent on getting ahead with the preparations for Christmas lunch (you are expecting hungry guests and need to make sure that there’s plenty of food). After a cup of coffee and an hour of work, you have finally reached a point in your preparations where you can take a break. You head back to the stairs to go upstairs and have a shower when you happened to glance out of your front window and to your horror, you realized that the pathway to your front door is covered with fresh snow, lots and lots of it. You rush upstairs to change into your new nifty (brightly coloured and expensive) snow gear and head out to the garage to grab the snow blower. Oh oh, it’s not working. You throw it in a corner of the garage and grab the shovel. It’s going to be a long day.

1) Your guests have departed and you can finally relax. Your back hurts, you ache everywhere. You wonder how you’re going to get the energy to clear up. You suddenly remember your mother telling you about a home remedy for back ache. You cannot recall the details but your trusty computer is nearby and switched on. Please give me any one of the eight home remedies for back pain listed on this page . Just the title please, no details required.

2) After browsing the internet (and getting sidetracked by your email with lots of Christmas greetings from friends and family), you find your mother’s home remedy for back pain and try it. It works. You head to the kitchen and begin to clear up. Suddenly you realise how quiet it is. You decide to put on a Christmas CD of your favourite carols. Looking through the list of songs you notice that your favourite carols are exactly the same as that listed as the UK’s top 10 favourite carols in a poll conducted by the radio station Classic FM. You are pleased that lots of people like the same carols you do. Please give me any of Classic FM’s UK’s top 10 favourite carols.

3) You finish clearing in record time and decide to spend a bit of time in front of the telly before heading to bed. However, no telly viewing is complete without your favourite Christmas beverage: eggnog. You dig out a recipe for eggnog that your mother gave you when you moved into your own house last year. The recipe is great for kids and adults. Please give me any of the ingredients listed on this page for eggnog.

4) You settle in the couch in front of the telly, snug as a bug in a blanket, with your eggnog beside you. You flip the channels and decide that you would rather watch your favourite Christmas movie DVD. Please give me the name of a Christmas movie. Please try to select one that is centred around Christmas/the Christmas holidays and no tv movies or cartoons.

5) In spite of the busy day, you feel good as you finally head up to bed. You find yourself singing a Christmas carol as you walk up the stairs, not the English version but the original Latin words to a popular Christmas carol. Please give me any of the words (of more than 2 letters) in the first verse (including chorus) of the carol ‘Adeste Fidelis’. There are 12 words to choose from.

That’s it. If anyone needs help, please PM me. This round will close on Saturday, 29 December midnight FT time. I would also like to wish everyone a lovely, peaceful and happy Christmas.

Edited to include this apology.
Sorry Cinnamon, I posted Round 25 earlier today and I am just catching up on the earlier rounds and realised that my Q4 is a repetition of your Q2. As I've already had an answer, I don't think I can change the question. So now this apology goes out to everyone playing as well, sorry all, it's a bit boring to have a repeat question just 3 days apart. But maybe we can try going for completely different answers, I think we may have sufficient Christmas movies for this.

Edited by brandz_mygirl (Tue Dec 25 2007 11:01 AM)

#399473 - Tue Dec 25 2007 08:58 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
24 Hours to go for Round 19...

#399474 - Tue Dec 25 2007 04:11 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

ROUND 18 is now closed.

#399475 - Tue Dec 25 2007 04:13 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

And here are the results...

Results for ROUND 18

8 dedicated players interrupted their Christmas preparations for a wee while, to send their answers. I thank you all !

1. From the The National Arbor Day Foundation’s official website please give me one of the "Project Award" winners before 2000.

10 points:
- The Omaha World-Herald Branching Out Program, Omaha, NE
- Growing Friends of Helena, Montana
- Donald and Nancy Panoz, Braselton, GA
- The Chesapeake Bay Youth Conservation Corps of Chesapeake, VA
- The Linnaeus Arboretum, St. Peter, Minnesota

5 points: New Jersey Community Forestry Assistance Act, Trenton, New Jersey [3]

Not mentioned: Boy Scout Troop #495, Lewis Run, Pennsylvania; West Bend Beautification Committee, Inc., West Bend, Wisconsin; Eglin Air Force Base, Niceville, FL; The Living Memorial Tree Planting Program of the Batesville Casket Company, Batesville, IN; The New York City Parks and Recreation Department; The Rotary Greenway Project, Indianapolis, IN

2. Name one of Queen Elizabeth's (Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom) Great-Great-Grandparents.

10 points: Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg & Gotha, Prince Adolphus Duke of Cambridge, Thomas George Lyon-Bowes, Countess Claudine Rhédey von Kis-Rhéde, Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom, Edwyn Burnaby

5 points: Charlotte Grimstead [2]

Not mentioned: Christian IX of Denmark, Princess Louise of Hesse-Kassel, Duke Alexander of Württemberg, Princess Augusta of Hesse-Kassel, Oswald Smith, Henrietta Hodgson, Lord William Charles Cavendish-Bentinck, Anne Wellesley, Anne Caroline Salisbury

3. The Stanford TREE is the unofficial mascot of Stanford University. Name one of the persons who served as "The Tree" in the 1990s.

10 points: Christopher Matthew Henderson, Todd David, Ari Benjamin Mervis, Pete Huyck

5 points: Christopher Anselmo Cary [2], Christopher Jeffrey Bonzon [2]

Not mentioned: Greg Siegel, Charles Goodan, Matthew James Merrill, Evan Fletcher Meagher

4. From The TreeHouse Trust’s official website please give me any date on which the School's Terms start or end in 2007-2008.

10 points: 20 August 2007, 25 February 2008, 4 April 2008, 23 May 2008, 26 May 2008, 30 May 2008,

5 points: 16 April 2008 [2]

Not mentioned: 11 other dates

5. "Birches" by Robert Frost. Quote ANY line/verse [1 only] in that poem.

10 points: I don’t know where it’s likely to go better, Whose only play was what he found himself, And climb black branches up a snow-white trunk, From a twig's having lashed across it open, One by one he subdued his father's trees, I’d like to get away from earth awhile

5 points: And not one but hung limp, not one was left [2]

Not mentioned: Too many to list them all here

The results for Round 18 are:

45 points: Maninmidohio, Nakarinna, Srini, Szabs, Zorba ---> Congratulations ladies and gentlemen !

40 points: Gatsby, Mugaboo

30 points: Brandz

Thank you all for playing .
Our 5 winners – Maninmidohio, Nakarinna, Srini, Szabs and Zorba – get 1 monthly point each. What a fine, lucky Christmas you’ve had !

I hope each and every one of you had a fine Christmas and will have a great New Year. See you in 2008 ….

Edited by denni19 (Tue Dec 25 2007 04:14 PM)

#399476 - Wed Dec 26 2007 06:16 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Egads indeed ! It's me again...

Round 26 ~ Wednesday

Lost for a start, I just happened (somehow) onto this word the other afternoon, used in something:

ju·bi·la·tion n.

1. - a. The act of rejoicing.
---- b. The condition or feeling of being jubilant.
2. A celebration or other expression of joy.

Seemed a useful word, especially at this time of the year, yes? So let's have ourselves a Jubilee ! Or two.

1. We can't rightly talk about a Jubilee without mentioning Queen Elizabeth II, who celebrated her 'Golden Jubilee' (50 years on the throne) in 2002. Recently, at 5 pm (noon EST) on Dec. 20, 2007, Elizabeth became Britain's oldest-ever monarch, too - another notable milestone indeed! But others have reigned longer than she ... I believe it will be required that she still be Queen in 2015 to break THAT record in England's history. She's a sturdy one, though ~ could happen ! This time, if you would, please tell me a CURRENT Monarch (any country) who has served for 30 years or longer, keeping in mind that many "heads of state" are NOT monarchs...

2. Those heroic X-Men characters were (are?) a popular bunch - and encouraged an occasional assembly of -um- 'splinter' hero groups. One of these was "Generation X", pretty much your typical comic book assortment of teenaged mutants (?), set in the 1990's era. They appeared in Marvel comics from 1994 until they fell out of 'mutant favor' sometime in 2001 (spawning a TV movie or two, in the process, however). One of the Generation X-ers was Jubilee, or Jubilation Jones. She was a Chinese-American "mall rat" who could produce explosive energy with little or no trouble. And whenever such skills seemed useful, of course, she was a mighty handy ally? Please tell me another member of the "Generation X" team. Comics only, OK? No characters created specifically for the television versions. Thank you!

3. There was an interesting film released in 1977 called -what else?- Jubilee! The movie took a look at Queen Elizabeth (the first one, not our current version) and what might have happened had she suddenly found herself in late 20th Century London, knee-deep in counter-culture . And a social uprising here or there, too, just for effect. It has become, over time, both a cult favorite AND is considered by many the first 'UK Punk Movie'. The director was the colorful and multi-talented Derek Jarman, who passed away in 1994. A decade after his death a documentary film about his life was released and, in it, an associate of Jarman's alleges that he heard the last words uttered by his friend before he died. I'd like to know one word, according to a Mr. Christopher Hobbs, that was in the last sentence spoken by artist/activist Derek Jarman.

4. 'Jubilee!' is a religious community based in Asheville, North Carolina. Having had the privelege to know just a few people who were involved with the group, I must say that their approach, intentions and "temprament" is very positive. In my own case, too, I can attest that they never recruited, preached or seemed the least bit 'cultish' while I was in earshot. One of their 'mottos'? "We honor each of us as we are; the inner and outer journey that each of us is on; all of creation and honesty, integrity, connection, compassion, service, social justice, and authenticity." I'm sure there are worse things to aspire to, yes? Jubilee! has/uses twelve 'official' Affirmations. Name one of them, please.

5. In Nuneaton (the largest town in the English county of Warwickshire), one can find the Jubilee Sports Center. It is a hall used for various sports including badminton, five-a-side football/indoor football and basketball. But never mind that particular spot for now - if you're in the area, you'll more likely end up visiting the nearby Arbury Estate. Most can't wait to get a glimpse of the birthplace of author George Eliot there. Eliot is best known for her timeless tale about "Silas Marner" but she wrote about another fellow , too, in a 'social' novel called "Felix Holt, the Radical", in 1866. To close today, who is a character (aside from Felix) in that book?

This round will close up shop on Sunday!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Wed Dec 26 2007 07:34 AM)

#399477 - Wed Dec 26 2007 08:53 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 19 (Wednesday)
"*WMMS/'The Buzzard'*"
Seven stalwart soldiers threw their Christmas hats in this time !

1. Please tell me a song from that short movie (Love You Til Tuesday, 1969). OR, if you'd rather, tell me one of Bowie's band mates in the short-lived (but spectacular) combo called 'Tin Machine' that formed in 1989. Either/or ... Til Tuesday or Tin Machine. I ain't picky .

For 10 Points:
Tony Sales, Hunt Sales (<--- both from 'Tin Machine'), "Let Me Sleep Beside You", "When I Live My Dream", "Rubber Band"
For 5 Points:
"Sell Me A Coat" (2)

Other songs were "When I'm Five", "The Mask (A Mime)", "Ching-A-Ling" and "Space Oddity". The other bandsman was Reeves Gabrels.

2. But (*sigh*), even at 'Blossom Music Center', rules are rules. Kindly tell me one of the items that will not be permitted at any Special Event" (non-orchestra show), as per their public regulations there, OK? There are 11 restrictions to pick from.

For 10 Points:
Mylar Balloons; Coolers (hard or soft sided or Styrofoam) or picnic baskets; In-line skates, skateboards, or bicycles, etc.; Alcohol, drugs, or any illegal substances; Backpacks, or large bags of any type
For 5 Points:
Knives, mace, pepper gas or any other item deemed a potential weapon (2)

Things have really tightened up at Blossom. Used to be you could take almost anything (legal on the street, anyway) into the park. Except cans ... but we thought that was because they felt driven to charge we music fans an arm and a leg for plastic cups full of beer and/or Pepsi...

3. Aside from Balto, please name another "permanent exhibit" at the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, if you'd be so kind...

For 10 Points:
Moon Rock, 'Steggie' - Stegasaurus, 'Nano' - Nanotyrannus Lancensis; Birds of America - John James Audobon
For 5 Points:
Johnstown Mastadon (2), The Foucault Pendulum (2)

You might also have a look at 'Lucy' (a 3.2 million years old human skeleton), 'Happy' (who displays the oldest intact femur bone in the world, if that sort of thing floats your prehistoric boat), 'Dunk' - a mega-million year old armored fish or have a whack at the interactive "spacecraft" called 'Planetary Odyssey'. Etcetera. Lots of cool stuff there.

4. While on the subject, were you to watch the 2003 DVD release of Modern Times what would be a language that you might select for the subtitles as you enjoy it?

For 10 Points:
Korean
For 5 Points:
Portugese (2), French (2), Thai (2)

Or, if you'd rather, Chaplin horses around in Spanish, Chinese and (of course) English as well.

5. To finish up, tell me the common name of a raptor/buzzard in the Buteo genus of birds, please. And kindly select only from those varieties therein whose name(s) contain the word 'buzzard' (not hawk)...

For 10 Points:
Upland Buzzard, Augur Buzzard, Madagascar Buzzard
For 5 points:
Archer's Buzzard (2), Red-Necked Buzzard (2)

Then there's also the Common, Long-Legged, Mountain and Jackal Buzzards. Perhaps even more of the ghastly beasts flying around out there, too .

The Results, you ask ?

45 Points! .... maninmidohio, szabs ---Nice job, both of you!---
40 Points! .... Mugaboo, nakarinna
35 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, denni19
30 Points! .... srini701

Thank you all so veddy much for stopping your holiday rush long enough to visit my defunct Radio Station mascot (and stuff). Great job to all paricipants, but the 'leaders of the pack' this time (and the earners of one each of those lucrative monthly points) are maninmidohio and szabs! Take care! Catch you all next time...

Edited by Gatsby722 (Wed Dec 26 2007 08:58 AM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002