Rules
Terms of Use

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#399478 - Wed Dec 26 2007 06:36 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Round 22 is now closed - results to follow!

#399479 - Thu Dec 27 2007 01:00 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
srini701 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Hyderabad India           
Last 24 hours for Rd 20, in case someone returns from their holidays and wants to send in their answers....

#399480 - Thu Dec 27 2007 01:35 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
srini701 Offline
Star Poster

Round 27 -- Thursday, December 27

The Best of 2007!

After the worst comes the best There were simply too many of the "best" things going around in 2007 and I couldn't resist picking as many as I could lay my hands on , so I am deviating from the normal and deliberately making this a "bumper round" with 10 questions. To make up for the large number of questions, I will give links for all 10 questions, so you just have to go to the site and pick one of the answers. I hope you will not mind too and will have a swell time going through the lists ...

1. Pick one of the top 10 astronomy photos of 2007 from here

2. From this page here, name one of the top 10 websites of 2007 please.

3. From this site, please pick one of the best cars of 2007.

4. Pick one of the top 10 cities in the world in 2007 from this web page.

5. Name one of the Top 10 beers of 2007 from this site

6. Choose one of the top 10 baby names from here (Choose your answer from among the top 5 boy names or from the top 5 girls names only)

7. Name one of the top 10 ski resorts for 2007 as per this web page.

8. From here pick one of the best DVDs of 2007 please.

9. And one of the Top 10 Games of 2007 according to this site.

10. And to close, pick one of the Top 10 law schools in the USA as ranked on this web site.

Please feel free to let me know if 10 questions are a bit too long for this game .....if I receive more than 2 complaints or if anybody thinks it should not be allowed, I will be happy to retain just the first 5 questions and ignore the rest. If I don't hear anything from you all and receive 10 answers, that would be great !

I will leave the round open for a week, till 3rd January (results will be posted 4th Jan, India time)

Hoping to see the same enthusiastic response from you all as usual and hoping you are all enjoying your holidays and wishing that 2008 will be an even greater year for you than 2007 has been...

--Srini

#399481 - Thu Dec 27 2007 05:20 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 24 will be done, kaput, dust in the wind ... 24 hours from *now*!

#399482 - Fri Dec 28 2007 12:11 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
srini701 Offline
Star Poster

Round 20 Results

9 wonderful players found time to send in their answers for the “worst” round Thanks a lot, all you nice people I sincerely welcome maninmidohio to MY rounds and extend a very warm welcome to Arlesienne, who makes her debut in the FT rounds .

And now the “worst” answers that you folks sent in (I am quite enjoying saying this )

1. Name one of the 10 worst tech products of the decade.

For 10 points: Xenote and the similar Sony E-marker; Windows Me; CueCat; DigiScent iSmell; Furby

For 5 points: Audrey Web-surfing machine (2); VKB Bluetooth Virtual Keyboard (2)

Not mentioned: Microsoft Bob; PocketMail; Flexplay

2. Name one of the 10 worst films as rated on IMDB bottom 100 list

For 10 points: Anne B. Real; Surf School

For 5 points: Pledge This! (3); Die Hard Dracula (4)

Not mentioned: Ben & Arthur; Who's Your Caddy?; Dünyayi kurtaran adam'in oglu; Daddy Day Camp; Crossover; The Tony Blair Witch Project;
{What’s with Die Hard? People seen it or is it the most easily “identifiable” movie?}

3. According to the United Nations Human Development Report list one of the 10 worst countries

For 10 points: Mozambique; Burkina Faso; Guinea-Bissau; Central African Republic

For 5 points: Sierra Leone (2); Mali (3)

Not mentioned: Congo (Dem. Rep. of the); Ethiopia; Chad; Niger

4. Name one of the 10 worst music bands as listed on this site here

For 10 points: MICHAEL BOLTON; LEE GREENWOOD; KENNY G; INSANE CLOWN POSSE; VANILLA ICE; AIR SUPPLY

For 5 points: KANSAS (3)

Not mentioned: ASIA; STARSHIP; EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER

5. One of the worst books ever written as listed on this web page

For 10 points: Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill; Judgment Day: My Years with Ayn Rand by Nathaniel Branden; Ageless Body, Timeless Mind: the Quantum Alternative to Growing Old by Deepak Chopra; The Bell Curve: Intelligence and Class Structure in American Life by Charles Murray, Richard J. Hernstein; Before the Dawn: An Autobiography by Gerry Adams; The Celestine Prophecy: An Adventure by James Redfield, Carol Adrienne; Chariots of the Gods? by Erich Von Daniken; Homecoming: Reclaiming and Championing your Inner Child by John Bradshaw; Iacocca: An Autobiography by Lee Iacocca, William Novak

10 points to all!

And the scores of a very close-fought battle:

On 45 points: Denni19
On 40 points: Mugaboo, Arlesienne, Nakarinna, Szabs, Brandz_mygirl, Zorba_scank
On 35 points: Maninmidohio and Gatsby

Congratulations to Denni for pulling away from the big pack behind her and for scooping a valuable monthly point on her own!

Till I see you again with the “Best” results….

--Srini

#399483 - Fri Dec 28 2007 07:43 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
ROUND 28 - Friday

Today's questions will deal with FISH. (Spending most of my yesterday trying to find the magical breeds in my "Fish Tycoon" game, I couldn't think of anything else to use as a theme .)

1. The animated and happy employees at Seattle's, now world-famous, Pike Place Fish Market were the inspiration for the FISH! philosophy, a workplace management system created by John Christensen in 1998.
From the FISH! Philosophy official website, pick a film available in their online shop.

2. Matsya, the FISH, is generally represented as a four-armed figure with the upper torso of a man and the lower part of a fish and is one of the ten most famous incarnations of Vishnu.
Choose another one of the Ten Avatars of Vishnu in the Garuda Purana.

3. FISH are cold blooded. And so are some people .
But for now let's mention the 1995 film - "Coldblooded" - directed by Wallace Wolodarsky. His looks were the real life inspiration for the Simpsons character Otto Mann, the school bus driver for Springfield Elementary School.
Give me the name of any student at the Springfield Elementary School.

4. FISH and Chips are one of the icons of England (and very rightfully so, if I'm allowed to say it ). The team at ICONS - A portrait of England, have put up a collection of 74 places, characters, symbols that define England, and the list may get bigger with people's nominations.
For now, pay a visit to their Collection and pick your favourite.

5. Stuyvesant FISH (1851-1923) was president of the Illinois Central Railroad, a major carrier of passengers in the central United States, sometimes called the "Main Line of Mid-America".
Would you kindly give me one of the Illinois Central named trains?

I'll keep this Round open from now till next year - January 3rd, 12 noon FT time.

#399484 - Fri Dec 28 2007 08:36 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Round 22 Results

1. Name your favorite Christmas song, religious or otherwise.

For 10 points - God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, Merry Christmas Baby, Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer

5 points - Silent Night (3)

2. Name your favorite Christmas movie.

10 points for all! Joyeux Noel, Christmas with the Kranks, Karroll's Christmas, Home Alone, A Wish for Wings That Work, Love Actually, Die Hard

3. Name the shape of the favorite ornament hanging on your Christmas tree.

10 points for all once more!-
star, oval, birdhouse, candy cane, penguin, longpoint, icicle

4. Name a food that you or your family eats exclusively around the Christmas holidays.

10 points chestnus stuffing, marzipan, roasted chestnuts, plum cake, hallacas, fudge, creamed onions

5. Name a figure in a traditional Nativity scene.

10 points - Baby Jesus, Joseph, donkey

5 points - Mary (2), Sheep/lamb (2)

Our winner, with a perfect score of 50, is non other than Gatsby!
45 points - Mugaboo, zorba_scank, srini, szabs, Maninmidohio
40 points - brandz_mygirl

Thanks to the 7 who took time out of their busy holiday schedule to play this round, and a point to Gatsby!

#399485 - Fri Dec 28 2007 04:31 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 24 - Monday
"Odd Christmas Tunes"
Six savvy participants took/found the few moments required to oblige the Christmas Eve Round !

1. What is a tune from the album "Up Your Chimney" by the legendary (and almost-as-popular-as-Bing Crosby - ahem- with a lot more irreverance) Dr. Elmo?

For 10 Points:
"Christmas On An Island", "Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring", "Reindeer Rap", "Feels Like Christmas"
For 5 Points:
"Jingle Bells" (2)

Then there's "Uncle Johnny's Glass Eye", "A Texas Chainsaw Christmas" and "Big Jolly Man" ... among others.

2. Hear it? Why, it's "White Trash Christmas" by that trailer park hero Bob Rivers . What song from that CD might you be listening to?

For 10 Points:
Everybody gets 10 points!
"Not So Silent Night", "Me And Mrs. Claus", "Merry Christmas Allah", "I'll Be Stoned For Christmas", "Shoppin' Around For A Christmas Tree", "Osama Got Run Over By A Reindeer"

Or you might have enjoyed "What If Eminem Did Jingle Bells?", "The Little Hooters Girl", "Be Claus I Got High" or maybe "Have Yourself An Ozzy Little Christmas"?

3. Put on "Sleighed: Other Side of Christmas", contributed to by various artists. Pick a song from it, OK?

For 10 Points:
"Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" (by Less Than Jake), "Christmas Crush" (by Home Grown), "XMas Time (It Sure Doesn't Feel Like It)" (by The Mighty Mighty Bosstones), "Away In A Manger" (by Plankeye)
For 5 Points:
"The Little Drum Machine Boy" (by Beck) (2)

This album actually had pretty traditional tunes on it (done in a loudly non-traditional way, I'm guessing) so the titles weren't too unusual. Despite the inclusion of "Santa Doesn't Cop Out on Dope" (by Sonic Youth) and/or "I Farted on Santa's Lap (Now Christmas Is Gonna Stink for Me)" (by The Little Stinkers), that is....

4. Next? Grab that copy of "Holidays in Dementia" - another collection whereupon you can hear any number of skilled minstrels (notably, of course, Doctor Demento).

For 10 Points:
"It's Christmas And I Wonder Where I Am" (by The Bob & Tom Band), "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town" (by Joseph Spence), "It's So Chic To Be Pregnant At Christmas" (by Nancy White), "Santa Claus Is Watching You" (by Ray Stevens)
For 5 Points:
"Santa's Lament" (by Father Guido Sarducci) (2)

LOTS of odd Christmas 'ducks' here, including "A Terrorist Christmas" (by James & Kling), "Stop The Cavalry" (by Jona Lewie) and "Hannukah Homeboy" (by Doc Mo She). 'Nuff said?

5. Anyway, to finish up, tell me a tune on the LP "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" by Elmo and Patsy!

For 10 Points:
"Silent Night", "Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer", "Jingle Bells", "Joy To The World"
For 5 Points:
"Percy, The Puny Poinsettia" (2)

These were pretty unique versions of "regular" tunes, too. I think it's become safe to say that the title track might now be considered more 'traditional' than 'novelty' at this point in time? Or maybe not...

THE RESULTS!

Lots of points being handed out this time! Yay !

45 Points .... maninmidohio, srini701, szabs, zorba_scank
40 Points .... denni19, Mugaboo

Thank you! Excellent job by everyone and points volleyed out to maninmidohio, srini701, szabs -and- zorba_scank! Well done to them ... and I appreciate all of you trudging through that more-often-than-not dreadful assortment of Yuletide tunes!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Fri Dec 28 2007 05:22 PM)

#399486 - Sat Dec 29 2007 03:06 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 29 - Saturday 29th

Today is the fifth day of Christmas - so what else could I give you, but five gold rings.

1. To find our first ring, we take a dive under the seas of the Orkney Islands, where a gold ring was found on HMS Opal that belonged to Stanley Cubiss. Name any Stoker 1st class, who died when the ship sank in 1918.
2. Our second gold ring concern "The Gold Ring Duo", who perform live celtic music at events in the UK. Please tell me one of the instuments they might play at a wedding.
3. Our third gold ring once belonged to Amenophis II, he was the seventh king of the 18th Dynasty in Egypt. I ask you to head to Liverpool to view this ring, and then tell me one of the words on the revolving bezel (Translated from the hieroglyphics of course).
4. Our fourth gold ring comes in the shape of a TV film cameraman - Peter Goldring. Please tell me any episode of the TV comedy "As Time Goes By" that Mr. Goldring was the Camera Supervisor.
5. In the Series "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever", a white gold ring plays an important part. Please name a book from this series by Stephen R. Donaldson. (10 to choose from).

Round will close at about the time a group of tweleve drummers are expected to turn up. (4am FT time next Saturday).

#399487 - Sat Dec 29 2007 10:11 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Just under 2 hours to go before Round 25 closes.

#399488 - Sun Dec 30 2007 12:24 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 25 is closed. Results will be posted very shortly.

#399489 - Sun Dec 30 2007 12:29 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 25 – December answers

7 super players for the “Christmas Day” round.

1) Please give me any one of the eight home remedies for back pain listed on this page.

For Ten Points: Take a hot bath, Relax, Don’t take it lying down, Take two aspirins
For Five Points: Invest in a new mattress (3)
Not mentioned: Ice it, Get some sleep, Get a massage

2) Please give me any of Classic FM’s UK’s top 10 favourite carols.

For Ten Points: O Holy Night, Silent Night, In the Bleak Midwinter - Holst
For Five Points: O Little Town of Bethlehem (2), Once in Royal David’s City (2)
Not mentioned: Hark! The Herald Angels Sing, In the Bleak Midwinter – Darke, O Come All Ye Faithful, O Come O Come Emmanuel, Coventry Carol

3) Please give me any of the ingredients listed on this page for eggnog.

For Ten Points: 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/3 pint heavy whipping cream, 6 eggs, 1 quart milk, 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk, 1 pinch salt, 1 pinch ground nutmeg
10 points all! I was totally amazed (still am in fact, as I’m typing this) that out of 7 possible answers, each of you super 7 players picked a totally unique answer. Great work everyone!

4) Please give me the name of a Christmas movie. Please try to select one that is centred around Christmas/the Christmas holidays and no tv movies or cartoons.

For Ten Points: Surviving Christmas, It’s A Wonderful Life, I’ll Be Seeing You, Die Hard, Jingle All The Way, Home Alone 2, Beyond Tomorrow
Another 10 points all!

5) Please give me any of the words (of more than 2 letters) in the first verse (including chorus) of the carol ‘Adeste Fidelis’. There are 12 words to choose from.

For Ten Points: Adoremus, Natum, Dominum, Triumphantes (also “Triumphants”), Bethlehem
For Five Points: Videte (2)
Not mentioned: Adeste, Fidelis, Laeti, Venite, Regem, Angelorum

Results!

Top Place:
50 points: Maninmidohio Congratulations!

Other results:
45 points: Denni, Srini, Zorba_Scank, Szabs
35 points: Mugaboo
30 points: Gatsby

#399490 - Sun Dec 30 2007 10:36 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Whistles and firecrackers on Round 26! It'll be closed to customers in EIGHT hours (and there's only 5 players in so far, so good seats are still available )....

#399491 - Sun Dec 30 2007 06:41 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 26 - Wednesday
"Jubilee"
Six spectacular souls ventured entries this time (thank you !)

1. This time, if you would, please tell me a CURRENT Monarch (any country) who has served for 30 years or longer, keeping in mind that many "heads of state" are NOT monarchs...

For 10 Points:
HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej, Thailand (61 years); HM Sultan Qaboos Bin Said, Oman (37 years)
For 5 Points:
HM Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah, Brunei (40 years) (2); HM Queen Margrethe II, Denmark (35 years) (2)

Others [accd.g to Wikipedia] are HH Emir Saqr bin Mohammad al-Qassimi Ras Al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates (59 years); HM Queen Elizabeth II, The United Kingdom, Canada, Australia & New Zealand (55 years); HM Sultan Tuanku Abdul Halim Muadzam Shah Kedah, Malaysia (49 years); HM Yang di-Pertuan Besar Tuanku Jaafar Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia (40 years); HM King Goodwill Zwelethini kaBhekuzulu KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa (39 years); HM King Carl XVI Gustaf, Sweden (34 years); HM Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah Pahang. Malaysia (33 years); HH Emir Shaikh Hamad bin Mohammed Al Sharqi Fujairah, United Arab Emirates (33 years); HM King Juan Carlos, Spain (32 years).
Whew !

2. Please tell me another member of the "Generation X" team. Comics only, OK? No characters created specifically for the television versions. Thank you!

For 10 Points:
Everybody gets 10 !
'Synch' (aka Everett Thomas), 'Penance', 'M' (aka Monet St. Croix), Emma Frost, 'Skin' (aka Angelo Espinosa), 'Husk' (aka Paige Guthrie)

Those umentioned today are 'Monaco', 'Chamber' (aka Jonothan Starsmore), 'Mondo', 'Gaia' and 'Banshee' (and you could have probably snuck a few more in there, too, since I wouldn't know one from another )...

3. I'd like to know one word, according to a Mr. Christopher Hobbs, that was in the last sentence spoken by artist/activist Derek Jarman.

Quote: "I want the world to be filled with white fluffy duckies..."

For 10 Points:
Filled, Fluffy
For 5 Points:
Want (2), White (2)

4. Jubilee! has/uses twelve 'official' Affirmations. Name one of them, please.

For 10 Points:
That God continually calls us to be who we are created to be; Acceptance of the wisdom and teachings of all religious traditions; Love and respect for all living things including ourselves;That living faith must grow and change.
For 5 Points:
Diversity of faith enriches our community (2)

Pretty good 'guides' to live a day by, these, I'd say! The rest are: All creation reveals and expresses God; That we are called to love with all our heart, soul, mind and spirit; That we are originally blessed by the Creator and are called to co-create blessing in this world; Lives of compassion, forgiveness and justice; The teachings and examples of Jesus; The wisdom of the Hebrew/Christian scriptures; Outreach giving and personal service as spiritual disciplines.
I am pretty much sure, too, that one can substitute Higher Power or any other 'Ideal' that fits their mindset(s) for the term "God" there...

5. George Eliot is best known for her timeless tale about "Silas Marner" but she wrote about another fellow , too, in a 'social' novel called "Felix Holt, the Radical", in 1866. To close today, who is a character (aside from Felix) in that book?

For 10 Points:
Once again, 10 for all! Yay!
Mary Holt, Reverand Augustus Debarry, Mrs. Transome, Mr. Transome Snr., John Johnson, Thomas Trouncem

Nine more characters in the answer pool, who shall remain anonymous (I reckon).

The Results.....

45 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, denni19, maninmidohio
40 Points! .... Mugaboo, szabs
35 Points! .... srini701

Well done! And monthly points on the scoreboard, this evening, go to brandz_mygirl, denni19 and maninmidohio! It's been a great year, all of you, and here's hoping that 2008 is all varieties of ... well ... 'jubilant' for everybody !

Edited by Gatsby722 (Sun Dec 30 2007 11:15 PM)

#399492 - Tue Jan 01 2008 12:00 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds
bethfay Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: St Louis Missouri USA
Round 31 Quiz

As the year winds to a close, like many millions of people 'round the world, I look forward to seeing the giant Waterford crystal ball descend to mark the advent of the New Year ... which gets me thinking about the theme for today's quiz - CRYSTAL.

1 - The first thing that comes to mind in thinking about crystal is the complexity of nature in producing so many different varieties ... 230 different types to be exact. To simplify things, scientists group those many different varieties into larger classifications. Name one of the 7 Space Group Classes (or "crystal systems") which include all 230 different types of crystals found in nature.

2 - The Crystal Palace was constructed in Hyde Park, London especially for the 1851 Great Exhibition. The Exhibition was an early example of "world fairs" that became very popular over the ensuing decades as a way to highlight technological advances as well as promotion of the hosting city. The Palace was moved to Sydenham Hill after the exhibition, but was destroyed by a fire in 1936. Name another "world's fair" (or exhibition) held during the 1850's.

3 - I never had any trouble deciding what to get one of my best friends for Christmas - she is a collector of the beautiful crystal figurines and miniatures made by Swarovski. The intricacy and detail of these designs is truly remarkable. Name for me on of the figurines shown on Swarovski's website under "Figurines & Collectibles - Silver Crystal - Aquatic Worlds".

4 - Two of my friends have a New Year's tradition that is a bit expensive, but one which they enjoy tremendously. Every year they purchase a bottle of Cristal champagne (at about $400 a bottle!) and lovingly savor the treat. The appelation of "champagne" is very tightly regulated by the French government as is its production and classification. Name one of the 7 levels of "dosage" (sweetness) based on the amount of sugar added to champagne after fermentation and aging. (i.e. Brut is the most commonly seen).

5 - And finally, Billy Crystal is now a well-known and recognized actor, director, producer, etc. But one of his earliest roles was one of my favorites - that of Jody Dallas on the comedy sitcom "Soap". Name a character who appeared in at least 40 episodes of the sitcom "Soap".

I will be closing up this round on Saturday morning FT time and, in the meantime, rounding up the December results in preparation for announcing the hugely remunerative prize for the 2007 overall FT Round winner!!!

#399493 - Tue Jan 01 2008 12:25 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds
cae_16682 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: India
I hadn't realized I'd not posted these, till Beth reminded me... I guess the post got swallowed up by the internet

6 merry players for...

ROUND 11 - Wednesday, December 12

Its that time of the year again - and its time to celebrate with a theme of Christmas Carols, or rather my favourite Christmas Carols

1. White Christmas, the best all-time favourite Christmas carol was written by Irving Berlin and introduced by Bing Crosby for the first time in the movie Holiday Inn, where Crosby sang the song in a duet with Marjorie Reynolds. The song won the Academy Award for the Best Original Song. Name one of the other songs listed on the Holiday Inn Soundtrack

For 10 points: Song of Freedom, I Can't Tell a Lie

For 5 points: Be Careful, It's My Heart (2), All Fools Day (2)

Not mentioned:

2. Mistletoe and Wine a single by Sir Cliff Richard became the UK Christmas number one single in the tear 1988. Give me one of the other Christmas Songs sang by Cliff Richard listed here

For 10 points: The Millennium Prayer, Little Town, 21st Century Christmas, With the Eyes of a Child

For 5 points: We should be together (2)

Not mentioned:

3. One of the other things keeping me busy this season is getting the kiddies in my church ready for their Chriatmas Carol service to be held on Christmas Eve. One of the items on the programme - one of the children's favourites (going by their repeated requests to rehearse it more than the other songs) is The Christmas Alphabet followed by C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S - both of which are songs which describe Christmas with the letters of the word in order. From the lyrics of either song, give me one of the alphabetical lines.

For 10 points: T - Is for the Toys beneath the Tree so Tall, H is for the Happiness with all the family, A is for the angels who make up the christmas list, S Is for the Stocking on the chimney wall

For 5 points: S is for the Santa who makes every kid his pet (2)

Not mentioned: The entire set from C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S, C is for the Candy trimmed around the Christmas Tree, R is for the Reindeer prancing, I is for the icing on the cake as sweet as sugarcane, M is for the mistletoe where everyone is kissed.

4. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing is a Christmas hymn written by Charles Wesley. This hymn is the traditional closing hymn in the Nine Lessons and Carols Order of Service followed usually in Anglican Churches both in the UK and all over the world. The most famous version of the Lessons is broadcast annually from King's College, Cambridge on Christmas Eve featuring carols sung by the college's famous Choir. The Wikipedia article on Nine Lessons and Carols lists the Order of Service that was followed in 2005. From there, give me the name of one of the Carols that were sung.

For 10 points: Remember, O thou man, A spotless rose,

For 5 points: What sweeter music (2), Riu Riu Chiu (2)

Not mentioned:

5. The Twelve Songs of Christmas by Jim Reeves is the first album that I slip into my hi-fi when this season rolls around. Give me one of the 12 tracks on that album.

For 10 points: An Old Christmas Card, Jingle Bells, Silver Bells

For 5 points: C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S

Not mentioned: The Merry Christmas Polka, Silent Night, Senor Santa Claus, O Come All Ye Faithful and others

And the results are:

With 45 Points!: Brandz and Mugaboo Congratulations!
With 35 Points: Srini
With 30 Points: Gats, Nakarinna, mainmidohio

A monthly point goes to Brandz and Mugaboo each for their top score. And a warm welcome to mainmidohio to the Trivia Rounds! Thanks for playing everyone.

#399494 - Thu Jan 03 2008 12:39 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
srini701 Offline
Star Poster

Last 24 hours for Dec Rd 27 ...very fascinating scores right now....anybody else wants to jump in and bring about some major shake-ups in the scores ?

#399495 - Thu Jan 03 2008 12:03 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

The Fishy Round 28 is now closed and the results will be posted later today.

#399496 - Thu Jan 03 2008 05:28 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Results for ROUND 28

My deepest gratitude goes to the 9 players who took the time to send their answers to the “FISH” round.

1. From the FISH! Philosophy official website, pick a film available in their online shop.

10 points: FISH! Tales: Vital Signs, FISH! Tales: Building Trust, FISH!, FISH! Sticks, FISH! Tales: Peak Experience

5 points: The Gift of Feedback [2], If At First: Overcoming The Fear Of Failure [2]

Not mentioned: FISH! Tales: Jump Start, FISH! Tales: Peak Experience, FISH! Tales: Sprint, It's So Simple, Firestarter Collection, Code of the West, Talking 9 to 5: Women and Men in the Workplace

2. Matsya, the FISH, is one of the ten most famous incarnations of Vishnu.
Choose another one of the Ten Avatars of Vishnu in the Garuda Purana.

10 points: Vamana

5 points: Kalki [4], Parashurama [2], Krishna [2]

Not mentioned: Kurma, Varaha, Narasimha, Rama, Buddha

3. Give me the name of any student at the Springfield Elementary School.

10 points: Ralph Wiggum, Jessica Lovejoy, Dolphin "Dolph" Starbeam, Nelson Muntz, Ham, Samantha Stanky, Michael

5 points: Jimbo Jones [2]

Not mentioned: More than ten others...

4. Pay a visit to ICONS - A portrait of England and their Collection and pick your favourite.

10 points: Notting Hill Carnival, The Tube Map, Parish Church, Morris Dancing, Queen’s head stamp, Blackpool Tower, Stonehenge

5 points: Monty Python [2]

Not mentioned: Lots more...

5. Would you kindly name one of the Illinois Central Railroad’s named trains?

10 points: Daylight, Illini, Northern Express

5 points: Miss Lou [2], City of Miami [2], Planter [2]

Not mentioned: Chickasaw, City of New Orleans, Creole, Green Diamond, Hawkeye, Iowan, Land O'Corn, Louisiane, Night Diamond, Northwestern Limited, Panama Limited, Seminole, Southern Express, Southwestern Limited, Sunchaser

The results for Round 28 are:

50 points: Mugaboo

40 points: Brandz, Srini, Szabs

35 points: Bethfay, Maninmidohio, Nakarinna, Zorba

30 points: Gatsby

Congratulations Mugaboo for yet another December (and 2007) point .

Thank you all for playing !

#399497 - Fri Jan 04 2008 04:19 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
srini701 Offline
Star Poster

December Rd 27 Results

A big Thanks to the 9 wonderful players who played out the bumper round .

This time I waited to receive all entries and then put the scores based on each question. It was most fascinating, watching the scores unravel and believe me, I had a clear cut winner ONLY AT THE VERY LAST question!

So here are the answers you folks sent in…

1.Pick one of the top 10 astronomy photos of 2007.

10 points:: Dark Matter Makes an Appearance; # 1: The Beautiful Face of IC 342; # 8: The Wonderful (red giant star Mira); # 6: Lightning at Weikerscheim Observatory; # 10: A Comet Bursts Forth
5 points:: A Meeting of the Moons (2); # 3: Chaos in Vela (2)
Not mentioned: # 9: A Black Hole on Mars; # 7: The Lover’s Embrace of Arp 87; # 2: STEREO Eclipse

2. Name one of the top 10 websites of 2007 please.
For 10 points: #7. DontForgetYourToothbrush.com; #4. TechPresident.com; #10. Indeed.com
For 5 points: #3. Wink.com (2); #5. Goodreads.com (2); #6. MenuPages.com (2)
Not Mentioned: #1. Lemonade.com; #2. AskSunday.com; #8. VolunteerMatch.com; #9. Fatsecret.com

3.Pick one of the best cars of 2007.
For 10 points: Toyota Prius; Honda Civic; Toyota Rav4; Mazda MX-5 Miata; Honda Accord; Infiniti M35; Honda Fit
For 5 points: Toyota Sienna (2)
Not Mentioned: Infiniti G35; Toyota Highlander Hybrid

4. Pick one of the top 10 cities in the world in 2007.
For 10 points: #2. Buenos Aires; #5. Sydney; #9.San Francisco; #3. Bangkok; #10. Cape Town
For 5 points: #6. New York (2); # 1. Florence (2)
Not Mentioned: #4. Rome; #7. Udaipur, India; #8. Istanbul

5. Name one of the Top 10 beers of 2007.
For 10 points: #4. BILK - The Weird Guy's Beer; #7. EKU 28 - The German's Beer; #9. Mamma-Mia Pizza Beer- The Foodie's Beer; #6. Samichlaus - The Christmas Lush's Beer; #10. Midas Touch Golden Elixir- The King's Beer
For 5 points: #2. Kelpie - The Salty Dog's Beer (2); #3. Smoked Porter - The Hunter's Beer (2)
Not Mentioned: #8. La Terrible - The Purist's Beer; # 5. Westvleteren 12 - The Monk's Beer; # 1. Utopia - The Extremist's Beer

6. Choose one of the top 10 baby names.
For 10 points:
Aiden; Sophia; Caden
For 5 points: Jacob (2); Ava (2); Jayden (2)
Not Mentioned: Isabella; Emma; Madison; Ethan

7. Name one of the top 10 ski resorts for 2007.
For 10 points:
#6. Brighton, UT; #10. Park City, UT; #7. Steamboat, CO; #2. Jackson Hole, WY; #3. Crested Butte, CO
For 5 points: #5. Fernie, B.C. (2) #1. Whistler Blackcomb, B.C. (2);
Not Mentioned: 4. Alta/Snowbird, UT; 8. Snowmass, CO; 9. Big Sky, MT

8. Pick one of the best DVDs of 2007 please.
For 10 points:
#8. INLAND EMPIRE; #5. CRIME WAVE; #4. THE CHARLES BURNETT COLLECTION; #10. MAUDE: SEASON 1
For 5 points: #6. NOT JUST THE BEST OF THE LARRY SANDERS SHOW (3); # 1. MY SO-CALLED LIFE (2)
Not Mentioned: #9. THE UP SERIES; #7. NOSFERATU & THE FILMS OF KENNETH ANGER VOL. 2; #3. ACE IN THE HOLE; #2. POPEYE THE SAILOR: 1933–1938, VOL.1

9. One of the Top 10 Games of 2007.
For 10 points:
#6. Mass Effect; #1. Rock Band; #3. BioShock; #9. Desktop Tower Defense
For 5 points: #4. The Orange Box (3); #10. Crackdown (2)
Not Mentioned: #8. Crysis; #7. Call of Duty 4; #5. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass; #2. Super Mario Galaxy

10. Pick one of the Top 10 law schools in the USA.
For 10 points:
U Chicago; U Michigan-Ann Arbor; Yale U (CT); U Pennsylvania; Stanford U (CA); New York U
For 5 points: Duke U (NC) (3)
Not Mentioned: Harvard U (MA); Columbia U (NY); UC Berkeley (Boalt)

And the final scores of a most fantastic round are...

Grabbing the winner’s jacket with a whopping 90 points is the great Gatsby!

Running him mighty close and getting pipped at the very last question was Bethfay with 85 points!

Two people who hung in with the leaders till the last before running out of steam, were Brandz_mygirl and Nakarinna with 80 points!

Making a strong surge towards the end (but not enough for a medal, I’m afraid) after a series of 5 points was Maninmidohio who finished with 75 points!

With an identical scoring pattern, Mugaboo and Zorba_scank finished with 70 points and joining them on the same score is Denni.

And finishing last this time, but making ALL the difference for the round with that one answer at the end that changed everything, was Szabs who scored a very commendable 65 points!

Thank you all for playing the round. I sincerely hope you liked the rounds and the links I gave

One (or should we make it 2 because of 10 questions?) very valuable December point for Gatsby ….Congrats to him!

#399498 - Sat Jan 05 2008 04:58 AM Re: December Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 29 - 8 played

1. To find our first ring, we take a dive under the seas of the Orkney Islands, where a gold ring was found on HMS Opal that belonged to Stanley Cubiss. Name any Stoker 1st class, who died when the ship sank in 1918.
For 10 points: Henry Catford; Felix Harper; Joseph Lunt; William McGregor; Thomas McMenemy; Alexander McPhee; William Pratt; George Henry Tippett
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned: Evan Byrom; Herbert Christie; John Thomas Hore; Henry Moody; Joseph Murray; Samuel Richards; John Watson

2. Our second gold ring concern "The Gold Ring Duo", who perform live celtic music at events in the UK. Please tell me one of the instuments they might play at a wedding.
For 10 points: Irish bouzouki
For 5 points: Celtic harp [3]; low D whistle [2]; uilleann (Irish) pipes [2]
Not mentioned: Flute; cittern; whistle

3. Our third gold ring once belonged to Amenophis II, he was the seventh king of the 18th Dynasty in Egypt. I ask you to head to Liverpool to view this ring, and then tell me one of the words on the revolving bezel.
For 10 points: Against; Amun; good
For 5 points: hundreds [3]; powerful [2]
The hieroglyphics read: The good god, son of Amun, powerful lord, warrior, contending against hundreds of thousands, son of Re, Amenophis, golden god, ruler of Heliopolis.

4. Our fourth gold ring comes in the shape of a TV film cameraman - Peter Goldring. Please tell me any episode of the TV comedy "As Time Goes By" that Mr. Goldring was the Camera Supervisor.
For 10 points: Getting to Know You - Again; Surprise, Surprise; Rewrites
For 5 points: The Cruise [5]
Not mentioned: You Must Remember This; The Copper Kettle; Relationships; The Picnic

5. In the Series "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever", a white gold ring plays an important part. Please name a book from this series by Stephen R. Donaldson.
For 10 points: The Wounded Land; The Runes of the Earth; Fatal Revenant; Against All Things Ending
For 5 points: The Power that Preserves [2]; The One Tree [2]
Not mentioned: Lord Foul's Bane; The Illearth War; White Gold Wielder; The Last Dark

Scores:
45 points: Szabs
40 points: Gatsby722; Denni19; Maninmidohio
35 points: Brandz_mygirl; Srini701
30 points: Bethfay; Nakarinna

A drum roll is in order for our clear winner Szabs, who picks up a point in a well fought contest.

#399499 - Sun Jan 06 2008 07:57 PM Re: December Trivia Rounds
bethfay Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: St Louis Missouri USA
Round 31 Results

There were 8 great players for the CRYSTAL round!

1 - Name one of the 7 Space Group Classes (or "crystal systems") which include all 230 different types of crystals found in nature.
For 10 points: tetragonal; cubic; monoclinic; hexagonal
For 5 points: triclinic (2); orthorhombic (2)
Not mentioned: rhombohedral

2 - Name another "world's fair" (or exhibition) held during the 1850's.
For 10 points: Cork, Ireland (1852)
For 5 points: Dublin, Ireland (1855) [3]; New York [2]; Munich, Germany (1854) [2]
Not mentioned: Dublin, Ireland (1853); Melbourne, Australia (1854); Paris, France (1855); Manchester, England (1857)

3 - Name for me on of the figurines shown on Swarovski's website under "Figurines & Collectibles - Silver Crystal - Aquatic Worlds".
For 10 points: Mother Sea Lion; Baby Penguins
For 5 points: Shell with Pearl (2); School of Fish (2); Longnose Butterfly Fish (2)
Not mentioned: Baby Dolphin; Baby Sea Lion; Baby Sea Turtles; Dolphin; Hermit Crab; Sea Horses; Shell

4 - Name one of the 7 levels of "dosage" (sweetness) based on the amount of sugar added to champagne after fermentation and aging. (i.e. Brut is the most commonly seen).
For 10 points: Doux (Sweet); Demi-Sec; Brut; Brut Natural
For 5 points: Extra Brut (2); Sec (2)
Not mentioned: Extra Sec

5 - Name a character who appeared in at least 40 episodes of the sitcom "Soap".
For 10 points: Billy Tate; Arthur Peterson, Jr.; Corrine Tate-Flotsky; Chester Tate
For 5 points: Mary Campbell (2); Eunice Tate-Leitner (2)
Not mentioned: Jessica Tate; Burt Campbell; Danny Dallas; Bob Campbell; Benson DuBois; Dutch Leitner

So the final results are ...

With 40 points: denni - nakarinna
With 35 points: szabs - maninmidohio - gatsby
With 30 points: srini - brandz_mygirl - mugaboo

Congrats to denni and nakarinna for garnering the final points of 2007!!!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ozzz2002