Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#400323 - Sun Dec 09 2007 04:07 AM This week's theme is 'Old and New'.
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
'Old and New' comes from deadlydalton's 'opposites' suggestion (other opposites can be used in the future). Anything old along with its modern counterpart will do. For example: old car/new car, old sewing machine/new sewing machine.

It may be possible to get the old and new objects in the same 320 pixel photo but if not, display the 'old' in the forum and just link to the 'new' (or the other way round). A different theme format but let's see how it goes.

#400324 - Sun Dec 09 2007 05:36 AM Re: This week's theme is 'Old and New'.
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

On the left is a colour TV that we owned 30 years ago (so fairly old). It was a Ferguson with a mechanical tuner and a '3000' chassis inside. On the right is a 20" widescreen Sony that we bought recently. It has a digital tuner and I don't know what else inside:

#400325 - Sun Dec 09 2007 09:52 AM Re: This week's theme is 'Old and New'.
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
Wow Telly, that old television must really be odd to some folks. It even has knobs on it!

#400326 - Mon Dec 10 2007 09:57 AM Re: This week's theme is 'Old and New'.
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
'Old and New' - how about this; a piece of petrified wood about 35 million years old alongside a modern log. You can see from the ruler, the overall length is about 25 centimetres. There's a larger image here and I've also posted a single image of the 'old wood' in photo-a-day

Edited by picqero (Mon Dec 10 2007 11:15 PM)

#400327 - Mon Dec 10 2007 11:03 AM Re: This week's theme is 'Old and New'.
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

You can't get an 'old and new' much farther apart in time than that picqero!

#400328 - Tue Dec 11 2007 09:37 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Old and New'.
peggy5 Offline
Explorer

Loc: New Zealand
this one was a bit hard. Here is my new kitchen

and a link to my old kitchen.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/LLina/funtriva/kit22.jpg

#400329 - Wed Dec 12 2007 02:43 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Old and New'.
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Wow, peggy, your new kitchen looks great!

This is my favorite pair of "old" brown boots, and my soon-to-be favorite , pair of "new" brown boots.

#400330 - Wed Dec 12 2007 10:15 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Old and New'.
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nebraska USA
I loved this idea, and had the perfect "old" to show off. I actually had to go out and buy some "new" to compare, but it was OK because I bought a grab bag at a thrift store (so yeah, they aren't NEW new, but they're definitely newer!) that had some new and some old in it. So it all worked out.

My tree is decorated entirely in vintage ornaments. Most of them are Shiny Brite brand, but not all, however every ornament on my tree is older than I am.

So on the left there are the "new" ornaments. They're a pearlized peach color, probably from the early 90's. On the right are some of the old ornaments that came in the same grab bag. The bells and all the larger balls are Shiny Brites from the late 40's and the mini ornaments are from Japan, probably from the 50's.

A bigger view of the old ornaments, because they're so pretty:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2083/2106873169_3362122b8b_o.jpg

No bigger pics of the new ornaments, because they are so boring.

#400331 - Thu Dec 13 2007 04:50 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Old and New'.
peggy5 Offline
Explorer

Loc: New Zealand
I love the old ornaments Lothruin. they look very smiliar to my parents Christmas ornaments which are over 40 years old.

#400332 - Fri Dec 14 2007 04:52 AM Re: This week's theme is 'Old and New'.
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Here is my 'old'. It was Gnawra, aged about 2 weeks , after we found her in the village rubbish bin. As you see, she survived pretty well!(Pic 2)

Edited by ren33 (Fri Dec 14 2007 04:55 AM)

#400333 - Fri Dec 14 2007 05:21 AM Re: This week's theme is 'Old and New'.
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
If you had known then what you know now perhaps you wouldn't have been so quick to adopt her.

Here is my old and new. The carriage clock is about 100 years old and can tell a story or two, the 'clock' on the left is my 'weather station' which has the time at the bottom. It sits on top of my computer.

I think the tutor fiddled with my settings during the last class.

#400334 - Fri Dec 14 2007 12:03 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Old and New'.
djsgal Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Springfield Virginia USA     
These are good olds and news - Lothruin, fabulous ornaments. I'm so impressed that you got some antiques from a thrift store grab bag!

On the left is an arrowhead I found in northeast Georgia in 1986 (? I think), just laying in the dirt on a path. On the right is a modern knife from my kitchen. Would have liked to compare old arrowhead to new arrowhead, but I don't know anyone in archery!

#400335 - Sat Dec 15 2007 12:41 AM Re: This week's theme is 'Old and New'.
spanishliz Online   FT-cool
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
The "old" is the first camera I had that was mine - not the family camera, not a hand-me-down from my sister, but mine. I got my Brownie Starmite II for Christmas when I was about twelve, and used it until I got my first 35mm (a Canon FTb) about ten years later. That I still have it after many moves, including from Canada to England to Spain and back to Canada, amazes me.

As I couldn't take a photo of my digital camera with my digital camera, the "new" is represented by its User Guide.

#400336 - Sat Dec 15 2007 04:56 AM Re: This week's theme is 'Old and New'.
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Adelaide South Australia    
Quote:

Would have liked to compare old arrowhead to new arrowhead, but I don't know anyone in archery!

I am in archery. New arrowheads look basically like the end of the arrow stem, just sharpened to a (fairly) blunt point. THey are made of a different metal, and seperate from the actual arrow, but the heads don't actually stick out sideways from the arrow itself.

#400337 - Sat Dec 15 2007 04:17 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Old and New'.
BurgGurl Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Virginia USA

I've been racking my brain to try and come up with an idea for this theme, but at last I found something to share. Here's a "Morgan" dollar from 1886 and this year's new gold dollar with George Washington and another of Sacajawea. I've used a two dollar bill as backdrop to show size differences.

For those interested I've posted a link to a full size shot:
US Dollars, Old and New

#400338 - Sat Dec 15 2007 06:55 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Old and New'.
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nebraska USA
Quote:

Quote:

Would have liked to compare old arrowhead to new arrowhead, but I don't know anyone in archery!

I am in archery. New arrowheads look basically like the end of the arrow stem, just sharpened to a (fairly) blunt point. THey are made of a different metal, and seperate from the actual arrow, but the heads don't actually stick out sideways from the arrow itself.

Probably not entirely the place for this, but while practice/competition tips do indeed look rather like bullets instead of traditional arrowheads, because it would be silly and dangerous to practice with razorblades stuck to the ends of your arrows, there are a vast array of tips available for hunting that look a great deal like the old flint arrowheads. Well, with the exception that the majority of hunting tips I've seen are three-bladed rather than two-edged.

#400339 - Sat Dec 15 2007 07:31 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Old and New'.
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Adelaide South Australia    
Yes, that's true as well. It probably isn't the place either. I should have used PM.

#400340 - Sun Dec 16 2007 01:29 AM Re: This week's theme is 'Old and New'.
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
It's interesting BurgGurl that you've used a $2 bill as your currency backdrop - made me look twice! There's a quite well known though inaccurate saying that goes: "as phony as a two dollar bill", meaning that something is fake or bogus. This saying seems to originate from the rarity of $2 bills in circulation, and Wikipedia give a very interesting account of their history at $2_Bills
Years ago I formed a collection of 'foreign' banknotes, and managed to collect a number of $2 bills, including early silver certificates, and even Confederate notes, so thanks for the reminder

#400341 - Sun Dec 16 2007 04:01 AM Re: This week's theme is 'Old and New'.
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

'Old and New' has been a challenge but some good ones have been shown. Thanks everyone. Anyway, out with the old and in with the new. This week's theme of 'Christmas lights' has been opened.

Edited by tellywellies (Sun Dec 16 2007 04:53 AM)

Moderator:  flopsymopsy