Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#402722 - Wed Jan 02 2008 12:25 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Work'
djsgal Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Springfield Virginia USA     
I agree that Lynn has an awesome job. Someday I want to be a puppy raiser for service dogs - when we stop moving!

I don't "work" anymore - at least I don't get paid in money for the work that I do. But when I did have a job, I was a statistician for an environmental consulting firm. Here's the closest way to show that:

And here's a link to what I do NOW:

Current "job"

My folder holds school papers and other info, and my calendar helps me keep it all organized.

#402723 - Wed Jan 02 2008 12:50 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Work'
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
I have been going through all the photos posted so far of everybody's work and I'm fascinated by all of them.

Picqero, I'd be scared to death if I had to ride in a helicopter on a regular basis. And those linesmen ...I guess somebody has to get up there. Argus, I used to teach at the police academy and I used to have a whole collection of different patches from around the state and country. I wish I knew what happened to them. Denni, my eyes crossed just looking at your computer screen. And djsgal, your job now is very important indeed. One that I wish I sometimes have had.

#402724 - Wed Jan 02 2008 02:45 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Work'
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada

This is where I spend 90% of my work day. On the other side of the room is a normal household range, two fridges, and a small chest freezer. From that, I feed up to 40 people a hot lunch every day, plus snacks.

This week is very slow, so I'm not really cooking anything interesting. I'll try to remember to bring my camera next week and take a shot of the place just before lunch goes out, for the photo a day.

That's a big window, onto the bright green baby room. Through that, I can see out their window to the playground.

#402725 - Wed Jan 02 2008 11:40 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Work'
djsgal Offline
Mainstay

Where is it that you work, Agony? A daycare or other such facility?

#402726 - Thu Jan 03 2008 07:38 AM Re: This week's theme is 'Work'
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Yes, sorry, I thought everybody knew, I talk about it enough.

We have four rooms - a baby room, a toddler room for 19 months to 3 years, a preschool room for 3 to school age, and a before and after school program. I also do before school care, in addition to cooking. We're right in the school building, down the hall from kindergarten, so it's easy for the kids to move from their 'real' school to us. If the place is full there are 36 kids and 9 adults, but we are usually not quite to full strength.

#402727 - Thu Jan 03 2008 09:36 AM Re: This week's theme is 'Work'
deadlydalton Offline
Explorer

Loc: Ayr Scotland UK
A 350 (pug) shunting loco at Falkland Yard. 350, is the horse power, so it's just a little loco. Usually drive a class 66 loco. 3,300 horse power

#402728 - Thu Jan 03 2008 10:42 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Work'
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
This is my seasonal job. Since it is just now getting into the swing of things, I've selected a photograph from the 2007 competition. This picture shows only one quarter of the room (so basically, this is only one half of the wine) at the convention center. The wine is in half of the room, and the panels of judges are in the other half. I mostly do problem solving for the entries.

And here is a large image.

Edited by Jar (Thu Jan 03 2008 11:40 PM)

#402729 - Thu Jan 03 2008 11:23 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Work'
djsgal Offline
Mainstay

WOW, that's amazing, Jar! I've never seen so many bottles of wine. What types of problems do you solve?

#402730 - Thu Jan 03 2008 11:39 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Work'
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
The problems vary djsgal. Before the competition I resolve questions about the exact reading of a label on the bottle (proprietorial versus brand name), appellations, grape percentages, traditional/non traditional grapes, and the like. During the competition it is mostly determining correct categories, answering questions, determining grapes, blends, etc. My brother came to visit a while ago and I took him to the warehouse where I'm working right now. He thought a wine competition was just sip, taste, and spit. He walked away with a whole new view of the event. There is a lot of detail that goes into an accurate competition.

#402731 - Fri Jan 04 2008 12:10 AM Re: This week's theme is 'Work'
djsgal Offline
Mainstay

Ah, I've just put 2 and 2 together, and all of a sudden your nice little avatar makes GOBS of sense to me now! Thanks for the info, and thanks Agony, too, for your info.

Forgot to say, that I think that little loco is a cute one, DeadlyDalton.

#402732 - Fri Jan 04 2008 07:36 AM Re: This week's theme is 'Work'
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Quote:

My brother came to visit a while ago and I took him to the warehouse where I'm working right now. He thought a wine competition was just sip, taste, and spit.

So did I! Thanks for the clarification. What an interesting job.

#402733 - Fri Jan 04 2008 11:48 AM Re: This week's theme is 'Work'
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Well, I don't have a job, but I spend a lot of time on the computer, so I am hoping that could be considered work

That is where I "work" for the majority of the day

#402734 - Fri Jan 04 2008 12:40 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Work'
spanishliz Online   FT-cool
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
This one set me digging through my old photos, as it is years since I have had to go out to work! My sister suggested I take a photo of my computer, but Jane has beaten me to that idea

Instead, I have gone back about 30 years and scanned this shot of my "office" in the stacks of the university archives where I had my first 'real' job (and the one I loved most).

The building at the lower right of this aerial (taken when a friend took me up for a joy ride) is the library where the stacks above were located. In the basement, right on the river...great way to preserve documents, eh?

#402735 - Sun Jan 06 2008 04:27 AM Re: This week's theme is 'Work'
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
Time to finish work and move on to this weeks theme of 'Sculpture'. Thanks everyone.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  flopsymopsy