Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#404504 - Tue Jan 01 2008 08:58 AM January Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
THE FT TRIVIA ROUNDS

Each day (except Sunday) one of our Trivia Round hosts will post 5 questions that have multiple possible correct answers. Each player should PM his or her answers to the host within the time frame specified (at least 48 hours, but usually more). Each unique correct answer provided (one that was not given by any other player) will receive 10 points, each non-unique correct answer will receive 5 points.

No sign-up or registration is required to play!!! and each player can play as many or as few Rounds as he or she chooses.

Mondays - Gatsby and Bethfay
    Tuesdays - Brandz_mygirl and Denni
    Wednesdays - Gatsby and JaneMarple
    Thursdays - Nakarinna and Srini
    Fridays - Howie and Denni
    Saturdays - Mugaboo and Cinnam0n

**I have copied last month's hosts list. If there are any changes in the roster that I'm not aware of, please make the necessary corrections.

edited to correct some more the Wednesday situation.

Edited by denni19 (Fri Jan 04 2008 12:26 PM)

#404505 - Tue Jan 01 2008 09:05 AM Re: January Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Well, yes, there is one change to report on that roster. cae_16682 found/finds herself unable to host for an indefinite period of time, so I'm flying solo on Wednesdays. *Hint, Hint * If anyone might like to jump in and give hosting a try, Wednesdays are half open.
And, of course, I get lonely, too, so would enjoy the company ...

#404506 - Tue Jan 01 2008 09:09 AM Re: January Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

ROUND 1

Happy New Year!

May you all have good health, peace of mind and zillions of happy moments together with your dear ones.

I thought it's best to start a new year with a breezy and sweet set of questions. At least that's how they look to me...

Kindly name/give me/pick...

1. Something that you think it's BEAUTIFUL. One or two words only please, it's not my intention to invent a short-story contest

2. Anything that you bought, received, had, met last year (2007) that was a first ever in your life.
I'd like you to stick to 'tangible' things - "the thought of strangling my neighbor" or "feeling ecstactic" are extremely nice but not applicable.

3. Any Love Symbol OR Animal Love Symbol from HERE

4. One of the main characters in the "Dilbert" comic strip.

5. Your favorite quote from THIS SITE.
(Please notice that there is a "Page 2" too.)

That's it folks ! The round stays open till Tuesday, January 8th - noon FT time.

#404507 - Tue Jan 01 2008 09:14 AM Re: January Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Thank you Gatsby for updating us .

I hope you'll find quite soon a willing and faithful mate to scare away the Wednesday loneliness .

#404508 - Tue Jan 01 2008 04:24 PM Re: January Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Jane peeks in
It's been a long long time since I was trivia host!
I am willing to share absolutely any day at all, if thats ok with everyone

#404509 - Tue Jan 01 2008 07:41 PM Re: January Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
[...a slightly early...]
Round 2 - Wednesday

Borrowing from Mr. Mugaboo's idea - with tweaks - this time (and if I'm counting right), this must be the Ninth Day of Christmas? I believe that's correct. So, in the spirit of it...
Number 9 .... Number 9 .... Number 9 ....

1. Yes, most know that Morris the Cat has been the 'spokeskitty' for 9-Lives cat food for decades. Over the years several tabby cats have portrayed Morris on television, of course, and it's very cool that all of them have been "rescues" from various animal shelters (as was the original one, who was scheduled to perish just 20 minutes before Bob Martwick saved him in Illinois 40 years ago). Our Morrises are no carefully-bred supercats, then ~ just regular "guys" who got mighty lucky indeed ! The cat food company got lucky, too, as their mascot has likely been responsible for earning them millions over time. Please tell me, to begin, a flavor of 9-Lives canned cat food in the 'Tender Dinners' product line.

2. I love movies, it is no secret. I thoroughly enjoy talking about ones I like for hours (I have dozens of people who avoid me passionately as evidence to this, too). However, if I find a film to be dreadful, the conversations are short. After calling crap 'crap' (not too many flowery ways to describe it, in my opinion), what's to say? The 1986 movie "9½ Weeks" was about as crappy as crap gets, too. Kim Basinger is lovely (albeit mostly overrated, IMHO). Mickey Rourke is often interesting (in a sociopathic-bordering-on-psychopathic sort of direction, IMHO again). The two together on screen was somewhat valueless on its own; that they then went about doing S&M in the process was completely unnecessary. But I liked the music ! Please tell me a song from the official "for-sale-in-stores" soundtrack of (the entirely disturbing) "9½ Weeks"...

3 Lady Jane Grey (c.1537-1554) is commonly referred to as the "Nine Days Queen" (sometimes she's assigned 13 days ... seems to be a bit of a 'grey' area there, but most settle on 9). Her age seems to be debatable, to some, as well. Was she 16 years old? Or 17? Numbers aside, there are a few matters that land with complete certainty. The poor young woman had a beastly mother, she seems to have gotten stuck squarely in the middle of a brutal power struggle for which she was not suitably prepared, and she and her head were decidedly separated by the time it was all over and done with . This time, I'd like you to tell me a King or Queen of England (and not titled as such by marriage) who served at any point 100 years before or 100 years after our unfortunate Lady Jane was Queen, OK?

4. "Cloud Nine" was a two-act play written by British playwright Caryl Churchill in late 1978 and was first performed publicly at Dartington College of Arts, London, on February 14, 1979 - finding its way to America in the very early 1980's. It's an interestingly put-together piece, with Act 1 set in British colonial Africa in Victorian times and Act 2 set in a London park a century later. However, between the acts only twenty-five years pass for the characters (each actor plays one role in Act 1 and a different role in Act 2 - the characters who appear in both acts are played by different actors in the first and second). Get it? Slightly confusing, but quite well-written and original/cutting-edge theatre - earning Ms. Churchill an 'Obie' Award for playwriting for the 1981-1982 season. Could you take a moment and tell me an actor/actress who was named a winner (for acting) at those Obie/"Off Broadway" awards that same year?

5. 9-9-99 (just to exercise a little "9 overkill" there ) would translate, the way America shortens it, as Septermber 9, 1999. It was on this date that James Augustus "Catfish" Hunter died after a long battle with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or Lou Gehrig's Disease. He was only 53 at the time of his death, but will always be remembered as one of the finest pitchers in Major League baseball. Perhaps his most memorable achievement (among many) came on May 8 in 1968, when 'Catfish' pitched the first perfect game in the American League in 46 years. Besides Hunter, please name another pitcher who managed to throw a perfect game in the MLB (16 of 'em to pick from).

And this Round will close on Sunday afternoon, OK? Have a fine fine remainder of this first week of 2008!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Tue Jan 01 2008 10:53 PM)

#404510 - Wed Jan 02 2008 04:57 AM Re: January Trivia Rounds
srini701 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Hyderabad India           
Plenty of room and time for "regulars" and "newcomers" alike to chime in with their response to the Dec 27 bumper round

Closure notice 24 hours from now...

--srini

#404511 - Thu Jan 03 2008 12:40 AM Re: January Trivia Rounds
srini701 Offline
Star Poster

Last 24 hours for Dec Rd 27 ...very fascinating scores right now....anybody else wants to jump in and bring about some major shake-ups in the scores ?

#404512 - Thu Jan 03 2008 11:57 AM Re: January Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 3 ~ Thursday

On this day in history…

1. 1987: Aretha Franklin - aka the Queen of Soul - was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, becoming the first woman to achieve this honor. The 1987 inductees were a star-studded lot, to be sure. Please name another performer who was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame alongside Ms. Franklin in 1987.

2. 1926: The Pontiac brand name was introduced by General Motors. This American 'mid-level' automobile brand is still going strong today. In order to check out Pontiac's most recent offerings, head over to the company website and view the 2008 auto show schedule (located under the News & Events tab). Please give me the location of any Pontiac auto show occurring in the month of January.

3. 1938: Franklin Delano Roosevelt founded The March of Dimes, a charitable organization created to fight polio. After achieving success with the Salk vaccine in 1955, the March of Dimes has recently turned its attention to fighting infant prematurity. According to the March of Dimes website , thirteen researchers financially supported by the organization have gone on to win the Nobel Prize. Please give me the name of one of these Nobel Laureates (please choose from the list of laureates who did not win the March of Dimes prize).

4. 1959: Alaska becomes the forty-ninth member of the United States. Although Alaska is far and away the largest state by area, the state is one of the least populous in the nation. In fact, the only states with lower populations are North Dakota, Vermont, and Wyoming. As a result, the populations of Alaska's major cities are lower than most. Please tell me the name of a city in Alaska with a population of 5000 or more as of the 2000 US Census .

5. 1848: Joseph Jenkins Roberts stepped into office as the first President of the Republic of Liberia. Liberia, originally a US colony created for freed African-American slaves, declared independence from the United States on July 26, 1847. Please name any other nineteenth century President of Liberia (that is, between 1848-1899).

This round will close Wednesday January 9th at noon FT time. I'll be around to answer any questions. Good luck!

#404513 - Fri Jan 04 2008 12:30 PM Re: January Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

It's official now !

Jane is joining Gatsby in hosting the Wednesdays. I deeply apologize for not editing/correcting the roster list sooner.

#404514 - Sat Jan 05 2008 12:39 PM Re: January Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 2 will be closing in 24 hours, I reckon ....

#404515 - Sun Jan 06 2008 12:28 PM Re: January Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 2 - Wednesday
"Number 9"
11 energized and enthusiastic 'takers' this time (thank you all !)

1. Please tell me, to begin, a flavor of 9-Lives canned cat food in the 'Tender Dinners' product line.

For 10 Points:
'Tender Nibbles' w/ Real Chicken & Liver in Gravy, 'Tender Nibbles' w/ Real Beef in Gravy, 'Tender Nibbles' w/ Real Chicken in Gravy, 'Tender Diced' w/ Real Chicken & Beef in Gravy, 'Tender Carvings' w/ Real Beef in Gravy, 'Tender Nibbles' w/ Real Ocean Whitefish & Tuna in Gravy, 'Tender Carvings' w/ Real Salmon & Crab in Gravy
For 5 Points:
'Tender Carvings' w/ Real Chicken & Salmon in Gravy (4)

That was all there were to pick from! Nicely done!

2. Please tell me a song from the official "for-sale-in-stores" soundtrack of (the entirely disturbing) "9½ Weeks"...

For 10 Points:
Bread And Butter (Devo), Cannes (Stewart Copeland)
For 5 Points:
Slave To Love (Bryan Ferry) (3), I Do What I Do (John Taylor) (2), Let It Go (Luba) (2), This City Never Sleeps (Eurythmics) (2)

The other tunes in the "film" are: Black on Black (Dalbello), Eurasian Eyes (Corey Hart), You Can Leave Your Hat On (Joe Cocker) <--- *my favorite * and The Best Is Yet To Come (Luba).

3. This time, I'd like you to tell me a King or Queen of England (and not titled as such by marriage) who served at any point 100 years before or 100 years after our unfortunate Lady Jane Grey was Queen, OK?

For 10 Points:
Henry VIII, Mary I, Elizabeth I, James I, Charles I
For 5 Points:
Henry VI (2), Edward V (2), Henry VII (2)

Which only leaves (in order) Edward IV, Richard III and Edward VI.

4. Could you take a moment and tell me an actor/actress who was named a winner at those Obie/"Off Broadway" awards that same season (1981-1982)?

For 10 Points:
Kevin Bacon ("Forty Deuce" -and- "Poor Little Lambs"), E. Katherine Karr ("Cloud 9"), Irene Worth ("The Chalk Garden"), Kenneth McMillan ("Weekends Like Other People")
For 5 Points:
Carole Shelley ("Twelve Dreams") (4), Michael Gross ("No End of Blame") (3)

Eleven winners that year (not many of whom are/have become too well-known outside of their stage pursuits, though) ...

5. Besides 'Catfish' Hunter, please name another pitcher who managed to throw a perfect game in the MLB (16 of 'em to pick from).

For 10 Points:
Addie Joss (in 1908), Charlie Robertson (in 1922), Kenny Rogers (in 1994)
For 5 Points:
John Lee Richmond (in 1880) (2), Cy Young (in 1904) (2), Jim Bunning (in 1964) (2), Dennis Martinez (in 1991) (2)

Here's the others, then - John Montgomery Ward (in 1880), Don Larsen (in 1956), Sandy Koufax (in 1965), Len Barker (in 1981), Mike Witt (in 1984), Tom Browning (in 1988), David Wells (in 1998), David Cone (in 1999) and Randy Johnson (in 2004).

And here are The Results!

40 Points! --- ainenei, JaneMarple, maninmidohio ... *Yay! to the Top Three *
35 Points! --- cinnamOn, Mugaboo, srini701, szabs, Taesma
30 Points! --- brandz_mygirl, nakarinna
25 Points! --- denni19

Welcome to ainenei (and 'welcome back!' to our JaneMarple, too). The answers came in in a most interesting way this time. I've never had two sets of answers be so close to identical as happened this week . Were it not for choosing different flavors of cat food they would have mirrored one another exactly (which I found very intersting as well as unlikely). Great job, everybody, and the first monthly points of 2008 go to ainenei, JaneMarple and maninmidohio! Brava, thrice ! Thanks for playing, folks.

Edited by Gatsby722 (Tue Jan 15 2008 09:37 PM)

#404516 - Sun Jan 06 2008 06:24 PM Re: January Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
...a bit early again...
Round 7 - Monday

I snatched the essence of my theme last time from Mr. Mugaboo. This time? I'll thank Mr. Srini . In playing his "lists" Round I found these, from Time magazine's "Top Quotes of the Year". And they were kinda interesting...

1. The fifth most "notable" quote is, by far, one of the most disturbing. It recalls the frustration, the social fracturing that can override a life (and made it clear that such personal crises can explode out of themselves anywhere, too). Perhaps the answers aren't there, really, because the questions are just too private? Too vague? We'll never know. On April 16 a young man named Cho Sung-Hui left a video saying: "This is it. This is where it all ends. End of the road. What a life it was. Some life.". He sent this video to NBC News and then commenced with killing 32 people (and finally himself) at Virginia Tech. It was a tragedy that defies logical descriptions. I'd like you to tell me one of the victims who was killed in Norris Hall, Room 211 (Intermediate French) at Virginia Tech that horrible, horrible day.

2. The fourth -erm- most important (?) quote came from General David Petraeus, the current Commanding General of the MNF-I, or Multi-National Force/Iraq. On August 14, in warning of the 'clear' perils of early troop withdrawal, he sputtered: "If you didn't like Darfur, you're going to hate Baghdad." All righty, then. Makes sense to compare the power struggle to get one's hands on water with an alleged 'war on terrorism', yes? Both spots are themed by deserts (so maybe that's the point?). I'm sure it's safe to say that no one "likes" what is/has happened in Darfur any more than they will/do "like" the situation in Iraq. At least let's hope not. But *know this*! You can still take a vacation to Darfur . Have a look HERE and mention one of those 'Basics/Don't-Forget-To-Brings' if you plan a fun-filled getaway to Darfur/Sudan. Thank you.

3. Y'know? If it looks like a duck, waddles/quacks like a duck, has enormous biceps and pectorals like a duck who works out (48 hours a day) AND appears to have hormones that are somewhere between "duck"-ish and those of a large horse with a deep voice? Well, the odds are better-than-good that it's a duck on steroids. Which leads to the #3 quote of 2007: "This record is not tainted at all. At all. Period." ~ said by Barry Bonds on August 7, after he broke Hank Aaron's Major League Baseball home-run record with his 756th career homer amid rampant speculation that he has used steroids. Three months later he was indicted for allegedly lying to a federal grand jury about using them. Such a shocker, too, don't ya think ? The BALCO scandal is just one involving the use of anabolic steroids by professional baseballers. Please name one of the nine athletes implicated in BALCO. Update: Ooops. There are more than just nine of these to pick from, it turns out. Athletes participate in other sports than baseball (and I kinda ovelooked that 'tiny' detail ), so the answer pool is larger than I might have intended. Thanks, and sorry.

4. Oh, boy. Here's a doozy for the year indeed ! The second most 'noticeable' quote happened on September 4, when Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said, while being questioned after a speech at Columbia University in NYC: "In Iran, we don't have homosexuals, like in your country." Now, honestly. Evidently America has some magical "registration" on homosexuality? Good heavens ... can anyone be blamed for NOT "coming out" over there with such mindsets at the fore? Anyway, we DO have gay people in the USA and they ain't too bashful about it (nor ought they be), either, as evidenced by the intelligent bi-weekly newsmagazine "The Advocate". Speaking of which ... kindly tell me the 'cover' story (the main article as per the photo/art on the face of the magazine) that appeared in The Advocate from August 28, 2007 until now. That'd be Issue #991 and up, yes?

5. Surely the source of the #1 'Most Newsworthy (for lack of a better word) Quote' should surprise no one. Let's face it: the man can't pronounce 'nuclear' as a stand-alone word. Put it with a bunch of other words in a sentence? Enter at your own risk . On the TV news show "60 Minutes", George Bush said (in January): "I really am not the kind of guy that sits here and says, 'Oh gosh, I'm worried about my legacy.'" Weren't we all collectively glad to hear that, or what? But, heck, why should HE worry? He's got an entire planet doing the worrying about his 'legacy' on his behalf, daily. George W. makes pretty good speeches sometimes, however ... it is ever-so-clear when somebody's doing the composition for him, though, isn't it? I'd like to know one of the LAST 10 sentences spoken in Bush's State of the Union Address - given on January 23, 2007. Note: just the first few words of longer sentences will be enough; no need to send the whole thing.

This'll close up on Friday afternoon, let's say. And *I promise*, just one more 'episode' of it this week and this endless and dreary "Gatsby Show" spurt will be done for a while ...

Edited by Gatsby722 (Mon Jan 07 2008 10:45 AM)

#404517 - Mon Jan 07 2008 12:12 PM Re: January Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Round 5

1. On January 5, 1779 American explorer Zebulon Pike was born. Please give me any item or place that was named for him.

2. On January 5, 1911, Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity was founded. Please name any famous member of that fraternity.

3. On January 5, 1917, actress Jane Wyman was born. Please give me any acting award that she was either nominated for or won during her lifetime.

4. On January 5, 1925, Nellie Tayloe Ross of Wyoming became the first female governor in the United States. Please name any other governor of Wyoming from 1950 to the present.

5. On January 5, 1972, President Richard Nixon ordered the development of a Space Shuttle program. Since then, two missions ended in disaster - the Challenger in 1986 and Columbia in 2003. Please give me the name of one of the astronauts who lost their lives in either of those missions.

I'll be around with links for any of these if you need help! This round will close on Friday, January 11 at noon FT time.

#404518 - Tue Jan 08 2008 12:34 PM Re: January Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 3 is closing in a little less than 24 hours...

#404519 - Tue Jan 08 2008 01:31 PM Re: January Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Round 1 is now closed and the results will be posted later today.

#404520 - Tue Jan 08 2008 02:09 PM Re: January Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Round 8 quiz – January

Today’s quiz – What a YAWN
Everyone yawns, animals yawn (apparently even fish yawn ), unborn babies yawn whilst still in the womb. Yawning is also supposed to be very contagious. ('Mythbusters' did a 'Is yawning contagious' episode but I cannot recall what the outcome was.) No one really knows why we yawn although theories abound.

1) Yawning is closely associated with boredom. Please describe in one sentence and in as few words as possible, what was the most boring thing you had to do in the past week. Putting down “doing/reading this quiz round” is acceptable should you feel so inclined.

2) Yawning can also be a sign of sleepiness. One popular way of counteracting sleepiness is by drinking coffee. From the website of a popular coffee chain (founded in 1971 in Seattle, Washington and has a ‘twin-tailed mermaid’ logo), please give me the name of any one of its Frappuccino blended coffees. 9 to choose from.

3) PANDICULATION is the act of stretching and yawning. Please give me a word that is made up of 5-or-more letters from PANDICULATION.

4) Yawning (and stretching) can also be a sign that we need a break from a task. People who work at deskbound jobs are encouraged to stretch and take a break every few hours. From this website, please list any of the shoulders, arms, hand & wrist, buttocks, back/upper body exercises that can be done at your desk. Just the title will do.

5) Some people experience ‘airplane ear’ when traveling on an airplane. This condition is caused by rapid changes in air pressure especially when the airplane is taking off or landing. People experiencing this condition complain of a blocked ear where sounds are muffled, and there may also be some pain. Yawning can help to unblock the ears. This news network (founded by Ted Turner, launched on 1 June 1980 and has a red and white logo made up of 3 letters) has 11 tips to avoid airplane ear. Please give me any one of those tips. Just the title please.

Hope the questions haven’t been too much of a yawn. This round will close on Saturday 12 January midnight FT time. Please send a PM if you have any questions. Thanks!

Edited Q2 to change no. of choices available from 12 to 9. Thanks to the players who alerted me to the error. I thought I saw 12 choices. I would like to think that S*******s has updated its site since I last visited but I'm leaning more towards the 'I can't count' side of things. . I haven't yet replied to those who have submitted their answers but I've done a quick check for Q2 and all answers are good.

Edited by brandz_mygirl (Wed Jan 09 2008 08:32 PM)

#404521 - Wed Jan 09 2008 08:27 AM Re: January Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 9 - Wednesday

Upon taking down Christmas decorations I was reminded of a friend I worked with 25 years ago (*whew * ... long time back). She, Christine, had given me a gold-plated ice skater for the tree, and I still have/cherish it. I liked Chris mostly because she was a terrific human, in addition to being very priveleged and not even a little bit "snotty" about those advantages. I liked her, too, because she initially mistook me for having been VERY much more sophisticated/schooled than I was (by a mile, or a hundred of 'em ~ but I was flattered nonetheless ). And that she liked hauling me to foreign movies on Sundays. And I loved hearing her stories about academia, too. She was, at the time, a recent graduate of Bennington College in New England...

1. Bennington College (sitting in the most picturesque city of Bennington, Vermont) is widely considered one of the very finest independent Liberal Arts colleges in America. As such, they are a core member of The Annapolis Group, an organization that works "cooperatively and collectively to promote greater public understanding/recognition that the purpose of a liberal arts education is to develop the personal and intellectual capacities of an individual by expanding his or her capacity to think clearly and critically, to judge wisely, to act humanely, responsibly and collaboratively, and to communicate effectively". Solid philosophy, eh? I'd like to know any other college in The Annapolis Group that begins with the letter 'B' today...

2. Alumni from Bennington, as one might expect, are very diverse. Their contributions (based on the general focus of their education) have covered many corners of the human experience - not surprisingly, those who pursue careers in the arts are not rare. One such alumnus is television actor Tim Daly (Class of 1979) - a guy who is full of charisma, great timing, a better-than-average face and valid theatrical experience. GREAT shows he gets to be in, too ... even though [for some reason] he's never been a Hollywood "list topper" in a largely mainstream sense. Please tell me a fictional character (with a first name/initials AND a surname) that Tim Daly has played in a television SERIES (1 episode or more). No 'miniseries' characters, OK?

3. The December 18, 2007 issue of the NYC newspaper "Village Voice" ran a review (by dance critic Deborah Jowitt) of five Bennington-affiliated artists - Jennifer Nugent, Paul Matteson, Terry Creach, Eva Schmidt and Jake Meginsky. She opens with descriptions of the dancers, using very expressive (and lovely/flattering) words. On the home page of the official Bennington website, said article is discussed. From it, please tell me a word she used in the two sentences praising/describing just Nugent or just Matteson (4 letters or more ~ and hyphenated words should be cited as the individual words used in them ... such as, *willy-nilly* would be either *willy* or *nilly* ).

4. Yet another fine alumnus of the school is author Donna Tartt (born in 1963) who earned much critical acclaim for her two novels "The Secret History "and "The Little Friend ". She started life in Mississippi, finally tranferring to Bennington College in 1982. Tartt was the 2003 winner of the WH Smith Literary Award, initially a prize aimed at "encouraging and bringing international esteem to authors of the British Commonwealth". Clearly, they now honor a larger authorship (foreign works in translation and works by US authors, etc.). Please take a moment and tell me one of the very first twelve winners of the prestigious WH Smith Literary Award. Thank you!

5. To end this in a slower, less "scholarly" (?) gear, I'll just pose a "wrap-it-up" question . Name for me a notable non-fictional person, living or dead, whose first name is Ben. Or Benjamin. Or Benny. Any sort of "Ben"-ish moniker will do. Even Bennington (if anyone ever HAD that as a first name, that is).

This will close up on, I don't know, Monday afternoon? That'll work. And *yay*! You fortunate folks won't have to deal with another Gatsby Round for almost two whole weeks after this one. Cause for celebration, that alone, I'd say .....

#404522 - Wed Jan 09 2008 08:40 AM Re: January Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

My apologies for being too lazy to edit them yesterday .

Results for the Happy New Year! - ROUND 1

11 players sent their answers for the first round of 2008.
A very warm welcome to Ainenei and a “Glad you’re back!” to Lizard_Wizard.

1. Name something that you think it's BEAUTIFUL.

10 points ALL: A finished jigsaw puzzle, A properly cooked Haggis, Gershwin's "Rhapsody In Blue", iPhone, A genuine SMILE, My grandson's face, A flower boquet, Music in spanish, One week old puppies, A tragic opera/aria, My son

2. Name anything that you bought, received, had, met last year (2007) that was a first ever in your life.

10 points ALL: My first ever ironing board, First ever visit to the British Virgin Islands, Senior citizen discount, Repairing a toilet single-handedly, My first DVD (Civilization IV), Arm socks, My own office room/cabin in the organization's new building, Receiving a Christmas Card from Romania, My first ever cruise, First time I went on forums and actually had direct contact with other people and made a few new internet friends, A grade average below 90

3. Pick any Love Symbol OR Animal Love Symbol from HERE

10 points: Shell, Rose, Dolphin, Horse, Maple leaf,

5 points: Triangle [2], Ladybug [2], Apple [2]

Not mentioned: Cupid, Heart, Harp, Dove, Starfish, Swan

4. Name one of the main characters in the "Dilbert" comic strip.

10 points: Alice, Ratbert, Dilbert, Dogbert, Phil (the Prince of Insufficient Light)

5 points: Pointy-haired boss [2], Carol [2], Bob the Dinosaur [2]

Not mentioned: Wally, Asok, Catbert, Elbonians

5. Pick your favorite Steve Martin quote from THIS SITE.

10 points:
- "How to make a million dollars: First, get a million dollars."
- "I believe that sex is the most beautiful, natural, and wholesome thing that money can buy."
- "You know that look women get when they want sex? Me neither..."
- "Chaos in the midst of chaos isn't funny, but chaos in the midst of order is."

5 points:
- "I saw the movie, 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' and I was surprised because I didn't see any tigers or dragons. And then I realised why: they're crouching and hidden." [3]
- "There is one thing I would break up over and that is if she caught me with another woman. I wouldn't stand for that." [2]
- "A celebrity is anyone who looks like he spends more than two hours working on his hair." [2]

Not mentioned: The other eight (8) quotes.

The results for Round 1 are:

50 points: Mugaboo

45 points: Gatsby, Srini

40 points: Ainenei, Brandz, Cinnam0n, JaneMarple, Lizard_Wizard, Nakarinna, Szabs

35 points: Maninmidohio

Congratulations to Mugaboo for a perfect score and a well deserved January point .

Thank you all for playing and especially for sharing a part of yourself with us all, by answering to the first two questions .
Hoping to see you again soon…. And that would be Friday if I’m not mistaken .

#404523 - Wed Jan 09 2008 12:25 PM Re: January Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 3 Results

10 players entered this round…

1. Please name another performer who was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame alongside Ms. Franklin in 1987.

For 10 points: The Coasters, Big Joe Turner, Bo Diddley, Muddy Waters, B.B. King, Eddie Cochran, Roy Orbison

For 5 points: Bill Haley (3)

Not mentioned: Carl Perkins, Clyde McPhatter, Jackie Wilson, Marvin Gaye, Ricky Nelson, Smokey Robinson

2. Please give me the location of any Pontiac auto show occurring in the month of January.

For 10 points: Salt Lake City, Virginia Beach, Omaha, Indianapolis, Secaucus

For 5 points: Washington DC (2), Portland (3)

Not mentioned: San Jose, Greenville, Detroit, and others

3. Please give me the name of one of these Nobel Laureates.

For 10 points: Dr. Thomas Weller, Dr. John F. Enders, Peter Agre, Dr. Linus Pauling

For 5 points: Dr. D. Carleton Gajdusek (2), Dr. Eric F. Weischaus (2), Dr. James D. Watson (2)

Not mentioned: Dr. Frederick Robbins, Dr. Max Delbruck, Dr. Joseph L. Goldstein, Dr. Edward B. Lewis, Craig C. Mello, Roger D. Kornberg

4. Please tell me the name of a city in Alaska with a population of 5000 or more as of the 2000 US Census.

For 10 points: Fairbanks, Wasilla, Kenai, Anchorage

For 5 points: Sitka (2), Bethel (2), Kodiak (2)

Not mentioned: Juneau (the capital), Ketchikan

5. Please name any other nineteenth century President of Liberia.

For 10 points: Joseph James Cheeseman, Stephen Allen Benson, Hilary Richard Wright Johnson, Edward James Roye

For 5 points: Alfred Francis Russell (2), James Skivring Smith (2), Anthony William Gardiner (2)

Not Mentioned: Daniel Bashiel Warner, James Spriggs-Payne, William David Coleman

Scores:

With 50 points: cinnam0n
With 45 points: szabs
With 40 points: maninmidohio, zorba_scank
With 35 points: Gatsby722, ainenei, srini701
With 30 points: Mugaboo, brandz_mygirl, denni19

Congratulations to cinnam0n for picking up both a perfect score and a trivia point!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#404524 - Thu Jan 10 2008 11:21 AM Re: January Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 7 will become an historic event/dust in the wind in 24 HOURS....

#404525 - Thu Jan 10 2008 11:41 AM Re: January Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
So will Round 5...

#404526 - Fri Jan 11 2008 03:43 AM Re: January Trivia Rounds
srini701 Offline
Star Poster

I am really sorry I could not post the round yesterday (Thursday). Have a series of meetings and am travelling a lot (on business) from next week. I will be unable to host anything again till mid February and will try and play rounds over the weekends.

I apologise for letting you all down and promise to be back with full force from February 15 onwards.

#404527 - Fri Jan 11 2008 06:30 AM Re: January Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
I certainly don't feel "let down" (?), Mr. srini (and I suspect no one else here does, either ... life happens and ya gotta deal with it, yes?). It isn't like you're slacking, or anything. And you've already evidenced over and over again your enthusiasm and willingness to keep things rolling with the Rounds. S-o-o-o-o....

Here's a thought. My January has taken an unexpected turn to where I have even less than usual to do . If I'm figuring this right (and with JaneMarple now sharing Wednesdays), I can pick up your Round 24 (January) and Round 7 (February) - which'll leave you off the hook until Round 21 next month. Will that work? I'll get something to do as I wait for stuff to progress and you can do your meetings/job without giving it a second thought as to what's what in here. Maybe everybody's happy ?

Let me know...

#404528 - Fri Jan 11 2008 09:27 AM Re: January Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

I am more than willing to do Thursday solo for awhile, Gats. That's how Srini and I discussed handling this, anyway. You are already holding down so many other days. That being said, if you want to share Thursdays with me for a couple weeks, I'm not against it. I'm just letting you know you don't have to volunteer.

I didn't post a round yesterday because I was unsure if srini was doing one more before he got so busy. I figured I'd post one today if he hadn't.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002