Terms of Use

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#404529 - Fri Jan 11 2008 09:44 AM Re: January Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Oh, OK ! If it's all fixed/covered ... not a problem, then. But feel free to give me a holler if needed. I really do have extra time on my hands in the next couple of weeks. Not that I can't find countless ways to waste it, mind you ...

#404530 - Fri Jan 11 2008 09:44 AM Re: January Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
ROUND 11

Yesterday evening, in my own yard, I've slipped on the ice and sprained my right ankle which is now, as we speak, approximately the size of my head. And hurting .
So I am lying in bed procrastinating about...JOINT(S) .

1. Name one of the ligaments in the ankle-joint/foot.

2. I've a friend that never sprains his joints, instead he smokes them .
Give me the name of a country where cannabis is (still) illegal.

3. As a service of the European Commission, The Joint Research Center (JRC) provides scientific and technical support for the implementation and monitoring of EU policies.
From JRC's official website, name one of the persons to be found on the Organisational chart page. [they have nice photos all ]

4. "Rip this Joint" is known as one of the fastest songs in the Rolling Stones' canon of work. The song appeared on their 1972 double album "Exile on Main Street".
Give me the name of an artist who collaborated with the Stones on that album, playing the Piano or as Backing Vocals.

5. The Joint is a weekly radio show broadcasting every Saturday on RDU 98.5FM in Christchurch, New Zealand.
Pick any of the other shows that one can listen to on that radio station.

The round stays open till Wednesday, 2:00 pm Fun Trivia time.

#404531 - Fri Jan 11 2008 11:11 AM Re: January Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 7 - Monday
"2007 Quotes"
9 noble and nimble-fingered gamers took part ~ thank you !

1. I'd like you to tell me one of the victims who was killed in Norris Hall, Room 211 (Intermediate French) at Virginia Tech that horrible, horrible day.

For 10 Points:
Jocelyne Couture-Nowak, 49; Leslie Sherman, 20; Reema Samaha, 18; Ross Alameddine, 20; Rachael Hill, 18
For 5 Points:
Henry Lee, 20 (2), Matthew La Porte, 20 (2)

The others that were murdered there that day were Austin Cloyd (18), Daniel Perez Cueva (21), Caitlin Hammaren (19), Erin Peterson (18) and Mary Read (19). Entirely tragic, especially considering that they were just a fraction of the total casualties, campus-wide.

2. But *know this*! You can still take a vacation to Darfur . Have a look HERE and mention one of those 'Basics/Don't-Forget-To-Brings' if you plan a fun-filled getaway to Darfur/Sudan. Thank you.

For 10 Points:
Small toiletries, A tiny bag of salt, A pocket book, Liquid soap, A fold-up bag for keeping souvenirs, A pouch to keep dirty clothes
For 5 Points:
A guide book (3)

A total of 16 items "recommended" here, including things like sandals, a cap and sun protection for the skin and/or lips, etc. *Erm* ... yes, those items that one would never think of (unprompted), when taking a vacation to a desert ....?

3. The BALCO scandal is just one involving the use of anabolic steroids by professional baseballers. Please name one of the nine (or more ) athletes implicated in BALCO.

For 10 Points:
*Everyone gets 10 !*
Alvin Harrison (track & field), Armando Rios (baseball), Chryste Gaines (track & field), Michelle Collins (track & field), Bill Romanowski (football), Marion Jones (track & field), Kevin Toth (shot put), Kelli White (track & field) and, of course , Barry Bonds himself (baseball)

LOTS more could have been mentioned....

4. Speaking of which ... kindly tell me the 'cover' story (the main article as per the photo/art on the face of the magazine) that appeared in The Advocate from August 28, 2007 until now. That'd be Issue #991 and up, yes?

For 10 Points:
Issue #991, Aug. 28, 2007 - "Man in the Mirror" (Ryan Reynolds, screenwriter); Issue #993, Sept. 25, 2007 - "40 Heroes"; Issue #994, Oct. 9, 2007 - "The Object of Our Affection" (Hillary Clinton); Issue #998, Dec. 4, 2007 - "Mary J. Blige"
For 5 Points:
Issue #992, Sept. 11, 2007- "The Truth About Tel Aviv" (3); Issue #997, Nov. 20, 2007 - "Cate Blanchett: Queen of Cool" (2)

The others: Issue #995, Oct. 23, 2007 - "Oh, Brother!" (actor Matthew Rhys); Issue #996, Nov. 6, 2007 - "Halloween: Is the Party Over?"; Issue #999, Dec. 18, 2007 - "Gay vs. Trans in America"; Issue #1000, Jan. 15, 2007 - "Why Wasn't This the Year of Lance Bass?".

5. I'd like to know one of the LAST 10 sentences spoken in Bush's State of the Union Address - given on January 23, 2007.

For 10 Points:
"In such courage and compassion, ladies and gentlemen, we see the spirit and character of America -- and these qualities are not in short supply."; "This is a decent and honorable country -- and resilient, too."; "We've been through a lot together."; "We've met challenges and faced dangers, and we know that more lie ahead."; "Thank you for your prayers."
For 5 Points:
"For his exceptional courage, Sergeant Rieman was awarded the Silver Star." (2); "And like so many other Americans who have volunteered to defend us, he (Sgt. Rieman) has earned the respect and the gratitude of our entire country." (2)

"Yet we can go forward with confidence -- because the State of our Union is strong, our cause in the world is right, and tonight that cause goes on.", "God bless." -and- "See you next year." ~ are the other few sentences in the speech...

The *Happy* Results ...

45 Points! .... cinnamOn, Mugaboo, Taesma
40 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, denni19, maninmidohio, srini701, szabs
35 Points! .... ainenei

Hmmm. Thought I was going to get to give out a perfect score there (but, as always, things changed right at the very end). I am quite happy, however, to give our three winners this time - cinnamOn, Mugaboo and Taesma - a deserved monthly scoreboard point ! Thank you all for playing AND for doing it so well, too! Have an exceptional weekend!

#404532 - Fri Jan 11 2008 01:32 PM Re: January Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 10 - Thursday

Sesame

1. "Sesame Street" is an educational children's show known around the world. Some have attributed its widespread popularity to the characters (such as Kermit the Frog) created by the legendary Jim Henson. Please name a show, special, or movie on television that Jim Henson directed.

2. The International Centre for Synchrotron-Light for Experimental Science Applications in the Middle East (abbreviated SESAME) is a major international research center - according to its website, the first in the Middle East. I would give you a blurb about what sort of research they do, but it's not (what's the word? ) condensable. Suffice it to say, it involves spectral ranges, microanalysis and electromagnetism. Please visit the SESAME website and name a member or pending member country of SESAME's council. I have edited this question to specify that I am looking for the member country, not the individual country representatives. I apologize for the poorly worded question.

3. The Big Mac, McDonald's most prominent hamburger, has been heavily promoted over the years. In 1975, McDonald's released a jingle naming the ingredients of the sandwich - including sesame seeds. Name any of the ingredients of the Big Mac, according to the jingle.

4. "Open Sesame" were the magic words Ali Baba used to enter the treasure-filled thieves' den, according to the classic tale from "Arabian Nights." In 2000, the Hallmark Channel produced a miniseries - also called "Arabian Nights" that portrayed several of these stories, including "Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves." Please give me a member of the cast of this miniseries, as listed on this page .

5. In the Urdu language, there is reportedly a proverb that approximately translates to 'a place so crowded that there is no room for a single seed of sesame.' To clarify, I don't speak Urdu so I have no idea if this is true. However, it leads me nicely into the phrase 'packed in like sardines,' which conveys a similar message. Please select one of the delicious-sounding appetizers off the sample menu of the Sardine Factory restaurant in Monterey, California.

This round will close Wednesday January 16 at noon FT time. Please let me know if there are any questions. Good luck to all!

Edited by nakarinna (Mon Jan 14 2008 09:09 AM)

#404533 - Fri Jan 11 2008 04:09 PM Re: January Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Round 5 Results

1. On January 5, 1779 American explorer Zebulon Pike was born. Please give me any item or place that was named for him.

For 10 points - Pike Creek Township, MN; Pike County, IL; Pike County, PA; Zebulon Pike (a metal band)

5 points - Pike County, IN (2), Piketon, OH (2), Pikeville, KY (2)

Of course, there is always Pike's Peak...

2. On January 5, 1911, Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity was founded. Please name any famous member of that fraternity.

For 10 points - Percy Sutton (civil rights activist), Montell Jordan (musician), Dr. Gardner Calvin Taylor (esteemed African-American pastor), William Grant Still (classical composer), Rev. Dr. Leon Sullivan (minister and activist), Arthur Ashe (tennis), Lem Barney (football), Alan Henderson (basketball), Dr. Ezra Dee Alexander (medicine), Alfonzo W. Davis (Tuskegee airmen)

10 for all! I really didn't think some of the members that were listed in Wikipedia were very famous! Some of the MORE famous members of this fraternity are Wilt Chamberlain, Oscar Robertson, Johnnie Cochran, and Tom Bradley.

3. On January 5, 1917, actress Jane Wyman was born. Please give me any acting award that she was either nominated for or won during her lifetime.

For 10 points - Oscar, 1948 for Johnny Belinda; Oscar nomination, 1952, for The Blue Veil; Golden Globe, 1984, for "Falcon Crest;" Oscar nomination, 1947 for The Yearling,; Soap Opera Digest nomination, 1986, for "Falcon Crest"; Emmy nomination, 1959, for "Jane Wyman Presents the Fireside Theater; Golden Globe, 1952, for The Blue Veil

5 points - Golden Globe nomination, 1983, for "Falcon Crest" (3)

4. On January 5, 1925, Nellie Tayloe Ross of Wyoming became the first female governor in the United States. Please name any other governor of Wyoming from 1950 to the present.

For 10 points - Dave Freudenthal, Clifford Peter Hansen, Clifford J. Rogers

5 points - Jack R. Gage (3), Milward Simpson (2), Edgar J. Herschler (2)

There were 5 others not mentioned.

5. On January 5, 1972, President Richard Nixon ordered the development of a Space Shuttle program. Since then, two missions ended in disaster - the Challenger in 1986 and Columbia in 2003. Please give me the name of one of the astronauts who lost their lives in either of those missions.

For 10 points - Gregory Jarvis, Kalpana Chawla, Ronald McNair

5 points - Ilan Ramon (5), Ellison Onizuka (2)

There were 14 total astronauts in these two groups.

Scores

Our winner this round is nakarinna with 45 points!
40 points - Mugaboo, Taesma, ainenei, denni, brandz, Gats, maninmidohio
30 points - srini and szabs

Thanks to everyone for playing!

#404534 - Sat Jan 12 2008 01:54 AM Re: January Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Ah..hh..em (a bit of throat clearing to get everyone's attention).

This is an announcement concerning Round 8. The round will be closed in approximately 22 hours. You may now return to whatever you were doing before this interruption. Thank you.

#404535 - Sat Jan 12 2008 04:58 AM Re: January Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 12 - Saturday 12th

1. If it hadn't been cancelled, the Dakar Rally would be going on now. Please name someone who has won the Motorcycles section in any year.
2. Give me any word of twelve letters or more, that uses no letter more than once.
3. BBC Scotland are about to produce 3 episodes of "Kurt Wallander", who's a detective by Swedish author Henning Mankell. Please give a title of any of his Wallander books.
4. Please pick someone who had a wierd sporting injury according to this page.
5. After the recent death of Sir Edmond Hillary who climbed Mount Everest with Tenzing on 29th May 1953, will you please name one of the thirteen people who matched this feat in the following ten years.

Help available if required, round will close Midday (FT time) Thursday.

#404536 - Sun Jan 13 2008 03:13 AM Re: January Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 8 is officially closed... three hours ago. Sorry for the "late-ish" post. I took a Sunday p.m. nap. Results will be posted as soon as I can get it typed out.

#404537 - Sun Jan 13 2008 04:19 AM Re: January Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 8 – January answers

10 players took part in the “What a YAWN” round, in spite of the quiz round title.

1) Please describe in one sentence and in as few words as possible, what was the most boring thing you had to do in the past week.

For Ten Points: Watch the BCS OSU vs LSU game, Go shopping, Attend a long business meeting, Shred 8 pieces of horseradish to put in vinegar and store away, Sort a 100 plus partially full containers of spices, Peel 10 dozen quail eggs for a buffet, Descale the coffee machine, Fill out insurance forms.
For Five Points: Clean out (backlogged) email inbox (2)
I had to change some of the tenses of answers so that they read off nicely one after another.

2) From the website of a popular coffee chain (founded in 1971 in Seattle, Washington and has a ‘twin-tailed mermaid’ logo), please give me the name of any one of its Frappuccino blended coffees. 9 to choose from.

For Ten Points: Mocha, Espresso, Caffe Vanilla
For Five Points: White Chocolate (2), Caramel (2), Java Chip (3)
Not mentioned: Cinnamon Dolce, Coffee, Pumpkin Spice

3) Please give me a word that is made up of 5-or-more letters from PANDICULATION.

For Ten Points: Diction, Nuptial, Plantain, Pundit, Plutonic, Nautical, Canton, Action
For Five Points: Pinion (2)
Not mentioned: Please see below
All of you came up with such interesting 6-or-more-letter words! I didn’t think you would need a ‘not mentioned’ list for this question.

4) From this website, please list any of the shoulders, arms, hand & wrist, buttocks, back/upper body exercises that can be done at your desk.

For Ten Points: End your day with a push off, Tummy twist, Let the good times roll, Heavy hinges
For Five Points: Tarzan stretch (2), An apple a day (2), Seventh inning reach and stretch (2)
Not mentioned: Chop wood, Ready for fight, Do the funky chicken, Reach out and touch your fingers, Firm your fanny, Lets do the twist

5) This news network (founded by Ted Turner, launched on 1 June 1980 and has a red and white logo made up of 3 letters) has 11 tips to avoid airplane ear. Please give me any one of those tips.

For Ten Points: Suck candy or chew gum during flight, Time your medication, Use an over-the-counter decongestant nasal spray, Try filtered ear plugs
For Five Points: Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration (2), Avoid sleeping during descent (2), Reconsider travel plans (2)
Not mentioned: Cautious use of oral decongestant pills, Clear your ears regularly before takeoff or landing, Have infants or young children drink fluids during ascent or descent, Talk to your doctor

Results!

Top Place:
45 points: Mugaboo & Cinnamon Well done for getting top scores despite the tough competition.

Other results:
40 points: Szabs
35 points: Maninmidohio, Srini, Taesma
30 points: Gatsby & Ainenei
25 points: Denni & Nakarinna

#404538 - Sun Jan 13 2008 11:15 AM Re: January Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
24 Hours to go for Round ... um, what is it? ...9, I think. Yep, that's the one. Final day for Round 9 !

#404539 - Mon Jan 14 2008 09:11 AM Re: January Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

I've been having a bit of trouble with my PMs. I believe it's all resolved now, but I want to make sure that I haven't lost anyone's answers for Round 10. If you have sent me answers, and I have not sent you an email confirming that I got them, please let me know. Thanks!

#404540 - Mon Jan 14 2008 11:29 AM Re: January Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 9 - Wednesday
"Bennington College"
Ten totally topnotch players (thank you !)

1. I'd like to know any other college in The Annapolis Group that begins with the letter 'B'...

For 10 Points:
Birmingham-Southern (Alabama), Bryn Mawr (Pennsylvania)
For 5 Points:
Barnard (New York) (2), Bates (Maine) (2), Berea (Kentucky) (2), Bucknell (Pennsylvania) (2)

Only 7 to pick from, the only one not mentioned today being Bowdoin College (in Maine).

2. Please tell me a fictional character (with a first name/initials AND a surname) that Tim Daly has played in a television SERIES (1 episode or more). No 'miniseries' characters, OK?

For 10 Points:
Clark Kent (in "Superman"), Monty Fisher (in "Judging Amy"), Cameron Manchester (in "Commander in Chief"), Dr. Pete Wilder (in "Grey's Anatomy" and "Private Practice")
For 5 Points:
Elliot Chase (in "Midnight Caller") (2), Joe Montgomery Hackett (in "Wings") (2), Harlan Judd (in "Eyes") (2)

Mr. Daly has also shown up as Dr. Edward Gillian (in "Ryan's Four"), Norman Foley (in "Almost Grown"), Dr. Richard Kimble (in "The Fugitive"), Reverend Jeb Curtis (in "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit"), J.T. Dolan (in "The Sopranos") and Nick Cavanaugh (in "The Nine"). For the record, Tim is the brother of actress Tyne Daly ... who played Cagney, in "Cagney & Lacey". Or was it Lacey? I never could keep those two straight in that show .

3. From it (the Bennington website), please tell me a word she used in the two sentences praising/describing just Nugent or just Matteson (4 letters or more ~ and hyphenated words should be cited as the individual words used in them ...)
--- Nugent is a "strong, long-bodied space-eater who moves with a lavish plasticity; he's syrup..."
--- Matteson is "slim, loose, and wily; she's honey..."

For 10 Points:
Strong, Space, Syrup, Loose
For 5 Points:
Moves (4), Lavish (2)

4. Please take a moment and tell me one of the very first twelve winners of the prestigious WH Smith Literary Award. Thank you!

For 10 Points
Patrick White, "Voss" (1959); Ernst H. Gombrich, "Meditations on a Hobby-Horse" (1964); R.C. Hutchinson, "A Child Possessed" (1966); John Fowles, "The French Lieutenant's Woman" (1970)
For 5 Points:
Nadine Gordimer, "Friday's Footprint" (1961) (3), Gabriel Fielding, "The Birthday King" (1963) (3)

The others here were Laurie Lee, J. R. Ackerley, Leonard Woolf, Jean Rhys, V. S. Naipaul and Robert Gittings.

5. Name for me a notable non-fictional person, living or dead, whose first name is Ben. Or Benjamin. Or Benny. Any sort of "Ben"-ish moniker will do. Even Bennington (if anyone ever HAD that as a first name, that is).

For 10 Points:
Benjamin (a son of Jacob in the Book of Genesis), Benedict Arnold (Continental Army General; eventual traitor), Benjamin Banneker (American mathematician, astronomer, clockmaker and publisher), Benjamin Jerome "Ben" Cayetano (fifth Governor of Hawaii); Ben Cohen (co-founder of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream), Benjamin Disraeli (British Prime Minister), Benjamin Guggenheim (American businessman; 'RMS Titanic' casualty), Ben Okri (Nigerian poet and novelist)
For 5 Points:
Benjamin Britten (English composer, conductor and pianist) (2)

Many other Bens (and maybe even a Benjamina or two) available to name on that question, of course...

The Results!

45 Points! .... cinnamOn, denni19
40 Points! .... manimidohio, nakarinna
35 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, Taesma
30 Points! .... ainenei, Mugaboo, srini701, szabs

Yikes. I gave up trying to follow who was leading as that all rolled in this time - somebody went from "tied for first" (all the way through) to falling to the bottom of the scoreboard in less than five minutes this morning . Which, of course, indicates an excellent contest indeed . Well done to all, but monthly points were grabbed by cinnamOn and denni19 today ... so a special tip-o'-the-hat to them! Thanks for joining in, everyone!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Mon Jan 14 2008 12:29 PM)

#404541 - Tue Jan 15 2008 09:41 AM Re: January Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

ROUND 15 - For no special reason or out of a specific thought, today's word is "LAMP".

1. The 1943 film "The Lamp Still Burns", was intended as a tribute to the important work of female nurses during World War II. The screenplay follows Monica Dickens' autobiographical novel "One Pair of Feet".
**Please give me the title of another adult (not children's) book written by Charles Dickens' great-granddaughter.

2. I don't know about you but I always liked all sorts of lamps, with my favourites being the table lamps - they're both decorative and very easy to position on the exact spot you need to see. John Lewis has some fine ones and I specifically enjoyed looking at those that are Touch Activated.
**Please join me in my (dubious) tastes and have a look and your pick of course, in HERE

3. The Lighthouse Archaeological Maritime Program (LAMP) is dedicated to the investigation, interpretation, and better understanding of the maritime history and archaeology of St. Augustine, the "First Coast" region of Florida. Among many others, the wreck of the British merchant ship "Industry" was discovered in 1997 together with a variety of artifacts reflecting its cargo of tools and military supplies.
**On the website of The Museum of Underwater Archaeology there's a virtual exhibit of the artifacts/findings from "Industry". Please pay a visit and give me one of them.

4. Everybody must have heard of lava lamps, a novelty item and one of the three indispensable components of the properly furnished 60s apartment, the other two being a black-light poster and a waterbed . I got this last piece of information from "The Straight Dope" website, where Cecil Adams [apparently the world's smartest human being, who can answer ANY question] was explaining about "How do lava lamps work?" (a question asked in 1988).
Please have a look at the Straight Dope's Archives (it has to do with the "Ask Cecil" part of the site ) and give me another question that was posed in the year 1988.

5. "Blue Lamp" is one of the songs on Stevie Nicks' album "Enchanted". Now here's a lady I adore . A beautiful voice, a beautiful woman and there's a feeling of passion for what she does and having fun with it too, everytime she sings.
Please find a film (no TV movies, TV series or Video shows) with Stevie Nicks on its soundtrack, as a performer or writer.

I'll keep this round open till Friday at noon - Fun Trivia time.
I am here (as much as possible) to assist you with any inquiries that might appear about my questions.

#404542 - Tue Jan 15 2008 12:25 PM Re: January Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 10 is closing in just under 24 hours...

#404543 - Wed Jan 16 2008 03:04 AM Re: January Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 16th January 2008
I had the pleasure of going to London last weekend. So on my return to hosting, the quiz is based on London!
Q1 Tell me a song from “The Sound of Music”
Q2 Tell me a place where you can buy houses and hotels on the traditional English (London) Monopoly board – not a specialised Monopoly board for cities etc.
Q3 Tell me a popular London tourist attraction
Q4 Something you associate with London
Q5 The Mousetrap is a famous Agatha Christie play which has now run since 1952. Tell me a character which appeared in the play from Here
The round closes over the weekend sometime!

#404544 - Wed Jan 16 2008 02:06 PM Re: January Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Round 11 is closed, results are on their way...I hope ...

#404545 - Wed Jan 16 2008 02:21 PM Re: January Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 10 Results

9 players entered this round…

1. Please name a show, special, or movie on television that Jim Henson directed.

For 10 points: "Fraggle Rock," "Tales from Muppetland: the Muppet Musicians of Bremen," "Tales from Muppetland: the Frog Prince," "The Jim Henson Hour"

For 5 points: "Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas" (2), "The Tale of a Bunny Picnic" (3)

Not mentioned: “The Earth Day Special,” “The Storyteller,” “Inner Tube,” “The Fantastic Miss Piggy Show” and several others

2. Please visit the SESAME website and name a member or pending member country of SESAME's council.

For 10 points: Egypt, Islamic Republic of Iran, Bahrain

For 5 points: Jordan (2), Pakistan (2), Turkey (2)

Not mentioned: Cyprus, Israel, Morocco, Oman, Palestinian Authority, United Arab Emirates

3. Name any of the ingredients of the Big Mac, according to the jingle.

For 10 points: Cheese, Two all-beef patties

For 5 points: Onions (3), Bun (2), Lettuce (2)

Not mentioned: Special sauce, pickles

4. Please give me a member of the cast of Hallmark’s “Arabian Nights” miniseries.

For 10 points: James Frain (Schahzenan/Harun al-Rashid), Hugh Quarshie (Mustappa), Alexei Sayle (BacBac), Vanessa Mae (Princess Zubaïda), James Callis (Prince Ahmed), Jim Carter (Ja'Far), Mili Avital (Scheherazade)

For 5 points: Tchéky Karyo (Black Coda) (2)

Not mentioned: Dougray Scott (Sultan Shahryar/Amin), Alan Bates (Storyteller), Jason Scott Lee (Aladdin), John Leguizamo (Genie of the Lamp/Genie of the Ring), and others

5. Please select one of the delicious-sounding appetizers off the sample menu of the Sardine Factory restaurant in Monterey, California.

For 10 points: Lump Crab & Gulf Prawn Cocktail, Escargot en Toscani, Freshly Shucked Oysters on the Half Shell

For 5 points: Dungeness Crabmeat Triangle Ravioli (2), Seafood Indulgence served in our "Special Boat" (4)

Not Mentioned: Marinated Lightly Smoked Sardines, Our Abalone Medallion, Calamari with our own Calamari Puffs & Artichoke Rings, Fresh Dungeness Crab Cake, "Trio" Appetizer Tasting Plate

Scores:

With 45 points: cinnam0n
With 40 points: srini701
With 35 points: Mugaboo, Taesma, denni19, szabs, brandz_mygirl
With 30 points: Gatsby722, maninmidohio

Congratulations to cinnam0n for emerging from the crowd to pick up a trivia point!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#404546 - Thu Jan 17 2008 12:22 PM Re: January Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 12 - 8 played

1. If it hadn't been cancelled, the Dakar Rally would be going on now. Please name someone who has won the Motorcycles section in any year.
For 10 points: Marc Coma; Fabrizio Meoni; Cyril Neveu; Edi Orioli; Stéphane Peterhansel; Gaston Rahier
For 5 points: Richard Sainct [2]
Not mentioned: Hubert Auriol; Cyril Despres; Gilles Lalay; Nani Roma

2. Give me any word of twelve letters or more, that uses no letter more than once.
For 10 points: Adjunctively; Amblygonites; Benzhydrozamic; Housewarming; Hydromagnetics; Hydropneumatic; Jacklighters; Metalworking
For 5 points: (none)
Many more including: Ambidextrously; Dermatoglyphics; Misconjugatedly; Uncopyrightable

3. BBC Scotland are about to produce 3 episodes of "Kurt Wallander", who's a detective by Swedish author Henning Mankell. Please give a title of any of his Wallander books.
For 10 points: Faceless Killers; The Dogs of Riga; The Man who Smiled; Before the Frost
For 5 points: The White Lioness [2]; One Step Behind [2]
Not mentioned: Sidetracked; The Fifth Woman; Firewall; The Pyramid

4. Please pick someone who had a wierd sporting injury according to this page.
For 10 points: Nathan Brown; Salim Sdiri; Wayne 'Buck' Shelford; Chris Vermeulen
For 5 points: Jamie Anscough [2]; David Kidwell [2]
Not mentioned: Ben Czislowski; Daniel Chick; Alan Trammell; Tony Gwynn

5. After the recent death of Sir Edmond Hillary who climbed Mount Everest with Tenzing on 29th May 1953, will you please name one of the thirteen people who matched this feat in the following ten years.
For 10 points: Luther Jerstad; Jurg Marmet; Chu Yin-hua
For 5 points: Hans Rudolf von Gunten [2]; Jim Whittaker [3]
Not mentioned: Ernest Schmied; Adolf Reist; Konbu; Wang Fu-zhou; Nawang Gombu; Barry Bishop; Thomas Hornbein; William Unsoeld

Scores:
45 points: Cinnam0n; Maninmidohio; Nakarinna
40 points: Gatsby722; Srini701; Szabs
35 points: Brandz_mygirl; Denni19

A worthy trio of winners we have in Cinnam0n, Maninmidohio and Nakarinna. The months scoreboard will now be altered to add one point apiece to their tally.

#404547 - Thu Jan 17 2008 01:34 PM Re: January Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 17 - Thursday

This week's round is all about Todd...

1. The musical Sweeney Todd, produced by Stephen Sondheim and made even more famous by the 2007 movie version starring Johnny Depp, is coming to Chicago as part of the 2008 Broadway in Chicago season offerings. Please tell me the name of another show listed on the Broadway in Chicago homepage.

2. Todd is a main character in the Disney animated film "The Fox and the Hound." Todd is the eponymous fox who becomes friends with a hound named Copper, neither realizing they are supposed to be enemies. Take a look at this trivia section on the film, and please give me one of the listed facts (and please don't hesitate to paraphrase the facts!)

3. Todd Rundgren, in addition to being a rock musician, is a member of the band Utopia and a record producer who has produced albums such as Meat Loaf's Bat out of Hell. Also, he has recorded several albums of his own. Please select a track from "The Very Best of Todd Rundgren" CD released in 1997 (it doesn't matter whether the track's artist is listed as Todd Rundgren or Utopia).

4. Ulmus parvifolis, nicknamed "Todd," is a variety of Chinese elm tree cultivated by Fleming's Nursery. Located in Victoria, Australia, the Flemings have been developing new fruit and ornamental trees for decades. Please take a look at their top ten trees list (which, if I'm counting correctly - and that's usually questionable - contains eleven trees) and give me the scientific name of any tree that makes an appearance.

5. Mary Todd was married to the sixteenth President, Abraham Lincoln. Her time in the White House was marked with tragedies, including the outbreak of the American Civil War (particularly hard on her because of her Southern roots and Union loyalty), the assassination of her husband, and the death of one of her sons. Although she is one of the more well-known First Ladies of the United States, she has had distinguished company. Please name any other First Lady of the United States who has a first name OR surname beginning with the letter 'm.'

This round will close Wednesday, January 23 at noon FT time. I'll be available to answer any questions that come up. Good luck, everyone!

edited to add link for question 5 - Wikipedia has an expanded list that I'm not sure is entirely correct

Edited by nakarinna (Thu Jan 17 2008 03:01 PM)

#404548 - Thu Jan 17 2008 02:32 PM Re: January Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Results for ROUND 11

A warm “Thank You!” to all the 9 players who sent their answers for this round.

1. Name one of the ligaments in the ankle-joint/foot.

10 points: Dorsal Cuneocuboid, Dorsal Tarsomet, Tibionavicular, Talocalcaneal, Long Plantar

5 points: Anterior Talofibular [2], Posterior Talofibular [2]

2. Give me the name of a country where cannabis is (still) illegal.

10 points ALL : Somalia, Tanzania, Singapore, New Zealand, Thailand, United States, Ukraine, Hungary, Norway

3. From JRC's (The Joint Research Center) official website, name one of the persons to be found on the Organisational chart page.

10 points: Guido Schmuck, Roland Schenkel, Peter Kind, Alejandro Herrero Molina

5 points: Giovanni De Santi [2] Thomas Fanghänel [3]

4. "Rip this Joint" ---> Rolling Stones' double album "Exile on Main Street".
Give me the name of an artist who collaborated with the Stones on that album, playing the Piano or as Backing Vocals.

10 points: Tammi Lynn, Ian Stewart, Shirley Goodman

5 points: Vanetta Field [2], Jerry Kirkland [2], Joe Green [2]

5. The Joint is a weekly radio show broadcasting every Saturday on RDU 98.5FM in Christchurch, New Zealand. Pick any of the other shows that one can listen to on that radio station.

10 points: New Releases + Top Ten, Sheep Technique, Throwing Shapes, Human Pleasure, Metrobeatz, Drive, Sensai Sessions

5 points: Central Sounds [2]

All questions had more available answers that were not mentioned.

And the results for Round 11 are:

With 45 points: Cinnam0n, Nakarinna, Maninmidohio and Srini

With 40 points: Szabs and Taesma

With 35 points: Brandz, Gatsby and Mugaboo

Congratulations to our 4 winners Cinnam0n, Nakarinna, Maninmidohio and Srini – well done and enjoy your January point .

Thank you all for playing !

#404549 - Fri Jan 18 2008 05:43 AM Re: January Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Well, here we meet again ! This time for...

ROUND 18 - Friday

Being inspired by some other rounds we've recently had and which dealt with all sorts of "best" or "worst", for today, I will ask you to browse through some Guinness World Records.

Please choose a record from:

1. Science & Technology ---> Structures

2. Amazing Feats ---> Unusual Skills

3. Natural World ---> Animal Extremes OR Fantastic Pets

4. Arts & Media ---> Art & Sculpture

5. Human Body ---> Extreme Bodies

This round will close on Tuesday, January 22nd - at noon FT time.

#404550 - Fri Jan 18 2008 12:01 PM Re: January Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Time to close the Tuesday round...

ROUND 15 is now closed, results are on their way.

#404551 - Fri Jan 18 2008 12:58 PM Re: January Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Gosh! I'm taking up a lot of space in here lately...

ROUND 15 - Results

7 players for this round – I bow to your faithfulness !

1. Please give me the title of another adult (not children's) book written by Charles Dickens' great-granddaughter, Monica Dickens.

10 points ALL: "Dear Doctor Lily", “Flowers on the Grass”, “The Room Upstairs”, “Enchantment”, “One Pair of Hands”, “No More Meadows”, “Man Overboard”

2. Please have a look and your pick of a Touch Activated lamp, in HERE

10 points: Contact Touch Task Lamp Chrome, Limbo Touch Lamp, John Lewis Helium Touch Lamp, Arc Touch Lamp, Lydia Touch Lamp, Cream

5 points: John Lewis Laura Touch Lamp, Putty [2]

3. On the website of The Museum of Underwater Archaeology there's a virtual exhibit of the artifacts/findings from the merchant ship "Industry". Please pay a visit and give me one of them.

10 points: Four small cask staves, A swivel gun still in its wrought iron yoke, Cannon, Three wooden boxes, Seven metal files

5 points: Apothecary tray [2]

4. Please have a look at the Straight Dope's Archives (it has to do with the "Ask Cecil" part of the site) and give me another question that was posed in the year 1988.

10 points: Does passionate kissing cause your chewing gum to disintegrate?, Why is there a "33" on Rolling Rock beer labels?, Did dinosaurs have a separate brain in their behinds?, How did they get Mr. Ed to talk?, Where are all the baby pigeons?

5 points: If you pour salt on garden slugs, do they shrivel up and scream? [2]

5. Please find a film (no TV movies, TV series or Video shows) with Stevie Nicks on its soundtrack, as a performer or writer

10 points: "Renaissance Man", “Jack Frost”, “Corpo e Alma de Uma Mulher”, “Boys on the Side”, “Twister”

5 points: The School of Rock [2]

There are unmentioned answers for each of the five questions.

The results for Round 15 are:

With 50 points: Szabs and Maninmidohio – Congratulations !

With 45 points: Gatsby and Mugaboo - Well done! (always very close together )

With 40 points: Brandz, Cinnam0n and Taesma – Good job, nonetheless !

So…. one monthly point each, goes to our esteemed and inspired winners – Miss Szabs and Mr. Maninmidohio.

#404552 - Sat Jan 19 2008 07:13 AM Re: January Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Round 19

Today's round will be about the "on-again/off-again" Golden Globes for 2008. Although the Awards were quite scaled down this year, the winners were just as pleased, I'm sure!

1. Name any category that a Golden Globe is awarded for.

2. The British historical romance Atonement garnered 7 nominations. Please name one of them.

3. Winner of Best Original Song this year was "Guaranteed," from the soundtrack of Into the Wild. Please name any other song on the soundtrack of that movie.

4. Please name any television show (not a mini-series or TV movie) that was nominated for Best Drama or Best Musical/Comedy.

5. This year, the Cecil B. DeMille Award for lifetime achievement in motion pictures was NOt awarded. Name someone who has won this award from 1995 to the present.

I'll definitely be around this weekend and following for any questions! This will close up on Wednesday noon FT time.

#404553 - Sun Jan 20 2008 03:18 AM Re: January Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Round 16 closes in about 6 or 7 hours

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002