Rules
Terms of Use

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#404579 - Thu Jan 31 2008 04:06 PM Re: January Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Round 25 is closed and sealed .
It's midnight here and there's gonna be a hard day at work tomorrow, so I have to postpone editing the results until tomorrow afternoon/evening, which means FT morning/noon.
Thank you for your understanding !

#404580 - Fri Feb 01 2008 02:52 AM Re: January Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 26 will close in 6 hours.

#404581 - Fri Feb 01 2008 10:10 AM Re: January Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 26 - 8 played

1. Please give me someone who has translated both the Iliad and the Odyssey into English.
For 10 points: Mordaunt Barnard; Theodore Alois Buckley; Samuel Butler; Richmond Alexander Lattimore; Roscoe Mongan; Alexander Pope; Ennis Rees; William Henry Denham Rouse;
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned include: William Cowper; Robert Fitzgerald; Thomas Hobbes; John Ogilby

2. Please give me the name of any Irish Single Malt Whiskey.
For 10 points: Brogan's Legacy; Clonmel; Locke's; Magilligan; Preston Millenium Malt (I allowed that as it says so on the bottle - but actually it's not); Slaney; Tyrconnell Single Malt; Tyrconnell Port Finish
Not mentioned include: Bushmills; Cadenhead's Peated; Connemara

3. Please give me a regular character (4 episodes or more) in the TV comedy "Porridge".
For 10 points: Norman Stanley Fletcher; Mr. Barrowclough; Mr. Mackay; Lennie Godber; Warren; McLaren; Harry Grout; Harris
Not mentioned: Geoffrey Venables (Governor); Blanco; Lukewarm; Heslop; Mr. Collinson; Ives; Rawley

4. Please give me one of the official duties of the Evzones.
For 10 points: Guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier; Guarding the gates of the Presidential Guard training camp; Guarding the border (during war); Offering honours and welcoming foreign officials on visit; Accompanying the Holy Fire every Easter from Jerusalem to Athens
For 5 points: Accompanying the President of the Hellenic Republic on official foreign visits (3)
Not mentioned: An annual Parade on New York’s 5th Avenue in celebration of Greece’s March 25th National Day

5. Please give me a tomb in Valley of the Nobles that has a number between numbers 52 to 69
For 10 points: Ramose (#55); Khaemhat (#57); User (#61); Amenemwaskhet (#62)
For 5 points: Amenemhat (#53); Hekerneheh (#64)
Not mentioned: Huy / Kenro (#54); Userhet (#56); Unknown (usurped by Amenhotep and Amenemhat #58); Qen (#59); Intefiqer (#60); Sebekhotep (#63); Imiseba / Nebamon (#65); Hepu (#66); Hapuseneb (#67); Penrenkhnum (#68)

Scores:
50 points: Maninmidohio; Szabs
45 points: Brandz_mygirl; Cinnam0n; Denni19; Gatsby722; Nakarinna
40 points: Srini701

An excellent show by our two winners Maninmidohio and Szabs. A hearty cheer and a point to you both.

#404582 - Fri Feb 01 2008 07:56 PM Re: January Trivia Rounds
bethfay Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: St Louis Missouri USA
Round 28 will be closing up shop in just about 12 hours! (Saturday morning FT time) ... but there's still room for any last-minute entries!

#404583 - Fri Feb 01 2008 10:32 PM Re: January Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Results for ROUND 25

We had 8 players for the “SEAL” round – Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

1 - Seal's biggest international hit "Kiss from a Rose" won a Grammy Award for "Song of the Year" in 1996.
**Please tell me the name of another composer who was a winner in the exact same category anytime during the 90s.

10 points: Bruce Springsteen (1995), John Leventhal (1998), Tommy Sims (1997), Alan Menken (1994)

5 points: Larry Henley (1990) [2], Irving Gordon (1992) [2]

Not mentioned: James Horner, Will Jennings, Gordon Kennedy, Tim Rice, Eric Clapton, Julie Gold, Jeff Silbar, Shawn Colvin, Wayne Kirkpatrick

2 - From the San Francisco Giants's official site, please give me any of their roster transactions that took place in July 2006.

10 points:
- July 6 – Optioned LHP Jack Taschner to Triple-A Fresno and activated OF Moises Alou from the 15-day disabled list
- July 1 – Placed RHP Tim Worrell on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to June 28, with a bulging disc in his neck and recalled RHP Brian Wilson from Triple-A Fresno
- July 21 – Acquired INF Shea Hillenbrand and RHP Vinnie Chulk from Toronto for RHP Jeremy Accardo
- July 22 – Transferred RHP Tim Worrell from the 15-day to the 60-day disabled list and optioned 1B Chad Santos to Triple-A Fresno
- July 16 – Optioned 1B Lance Niekro to Triple-A Fresno, purchased the contract of 1B Chad Santos from Fresno and transferred C Mike Matheny from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list

5 points: July 29 – Optioned LHP Jonathan Sanchez to Triple-A Fresno and designated RHP Alfredo Simon for assignment [3]

Not mentioned: July 4 - Optioned 2B Kevin Frandsen to Triple-A Fresno and recalled LHP Jack Taschner from Fresno, July 14 - Recalled OF Todd Linden from Triple-A Fresno and optioned OF Jason Ellison to Fresno, July 28 - Acquired LHP Mike Stanton from the Washington Nationals in exchange for nonroster RHP Shairon Martis

3 - The National Conference Center in Lansdowne, Virginia, USA is one of the worthy Green Seal certified servicies.
**From the Conference Center's website, please choose one of the recreational options available at their "Sports" OR "Fitness" Centers.

10 points: 25-meter Outdoor Lap Pool, Basketball, Racquetball, Cardio Equipment

5 points: Beach (Sand) Volleyball [2], Volleyball [2]

Not mentioned: Squash Court, Tennis, Bicycles, Nautilus Strength-training Circuit, Free Weights

4 - Seal is a village and civil parish in the Sevenoaks District of Kent County in England.
**Please give me another civil parish in Kent, which name starts with "S".

10 points ALL: Snargate, Stalisfield, St Mary Hoo, Sevington, Saltwood, Sundridge with Ide Hill, Stone-cum-Ebony, Stowting

5 - From THIS SITE pick one of the photos from the "Seals and Sea Lions" slide-show.

10 points: #2 - A baby harp seal rests on the Arctic ice, #6 - Two female Steller sea lions in conversation, #10 - An elephant seal barks at the camera

5 points: #1 - Hawaiian Monk Seal on the Sand [3], #8 - New Zealand Fur Seal basking [2]

Not mentioned: #3 – Leopard seal, #4 – Sleeping Weddell seal, #5 – A California sea lion on a rock, #7 - California Sea Lion Nursing Her Pup, #9 - Northern Elephant Seal and Her Pup

The RESULTS for Round 25 are:

With 50 points: Nakarinna

With 45 points: Brandz, Mugaboo and Srini

With 35 points: Szabs, Gatsby and Maninmidohio

With 30 points: Cinnam0n

One monthly point for January goes to our winner Nakarinna for her impeccable set of unique answers.

#404584 - Sat Feb 02 2008 12:09 PM Re: January Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Round 29 - the "Butterfly" one - is now closed.
I am working on the results and will post them quite soon .

#404585 - Sat Feb 02 2008 01:27 PM Re: January Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Results for ROUND 29

8 butterfly lovers for this round – Thank you all for playing with me .

1. Nagasaki is the second city in the world, after Hiroshima, to have been subjected to nuclear bombing. From THIS SITE give me one of the eight trees that lived through the bombing.

10 points: The Kayoko Sakura (Cherry) Trees, The Camphor Trees of Sanno Shrine, The Persimmon Tree of the Kawahira District

5 points: The Nagai Sakura (Cherry) Trees [3], The Persimmon Tree of the Wakaba District [2]

Not mentioned: The Camellia Tree of the Fuchi District, The "Bombed Twin Camphor Tree" of Shiroyama Elementary School, The Sago Palm of Fukusaiji Temple

2. A honeypot (or honeytrap) is an espionage technique set to capture, kill or compromise a person, commonly an opposition agent or employee, using sex as the lure.
- Please name for me any other espionage technique.

10 points: One-Way Voice Link, Cryptography, Spy ship, Covert listening device, Cut-out, Mask letter

5 points: Eavesdropping [2]

Not mentioned: Many more

3. Muhammad Ali discovered in 1984 that he had Parkinson's disease, or more accurately, Pugilistic Parkinson's syndrome - a neurological disorder that affects career boxers and wrestlers, due to receiving too many blows to the head.
- Please give me the name of another famous sport person suffering from Pugilistic Parkinson's syndrome.

10 points: Emile Griffith, Sugar Ray Robinson, Floyd Patterson, Chris Benoit

5 points: Wilfredo/Wilfred Benitez [2], Joe Louis [2]

Not mentioned: Jack Dempsey, Jimmy Ellis, Beau Jack, Bobby Chacon and a few more others

4. "Was I before a man who dreamt about being a butterfly, or am I now a butterfly who dreams about being a man?".
- Which butterfly from HERE would you like to be?

10 points: Tailed Jay, Emerald Swallowtail, Hecale, Sapho, White Morpho, Madiera

5 points: Grecian Shoemaker (male) [2]

Not mentioned: Clipper, Tree Nymph, Lacewing, Queen, Grecian Shoemaker (female), Papilio torquatus, Cyrbia

5. Tell me the word for "Butterfly" in any other language. Other than English.

10 points ALL : Perhonen (Finnish), Farfalla (Italian), Leptir (Serbian), Nabi (Korean), Lepke (Hungarian), Metelyk (Ukranian), Seethakokachiluka (Telugu), Fiđrildi (Icelandic)

The RESULTS for Round 29 are:

With 45 points: Brandz, Lizard_Wizard, Nakarinna, Szabs, Gatsby, Maninmidohio

With 35 points: Mugaboo

With 30 points: Srini

Looks like at the end of January everybody was trying hard to grab the last available monthly points .
Congratulations to Brandz, Lizard_Wizard, Nakarinna, Szabs, Gatsby, Maninmidohio for getting one each.

#404586 - Sun Feb 03 2008 03:56 AM Re: January Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wedesdays round - 30th Janaury - will close in about 7 or 8 hours

#404587 - Sun Feb 03 2008 08:56 AM Re: January Trivia Rounds
bethfay Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: St Louis Missouri USA
Round 28 Results

There were 9 great players! for the PETER PAN round.

1 - Name an actress or actor who played the human (not cartoon animation) Peter Pan in a major stage or film version or adaptation of the story of Peter Pan.
For 10 points: Sandy Duncan; Ryan Francis; Hilda Trevelyan; Nina Boucicault; Max Hoffman; Justin Campbell; Blayne Weaver
For 5 points: Betty Bronson (2)
Not mentioned: Mary Martin; Cathy Rigby; Robin Williams; Jeremy Sumpter

2 - Give me a character with a name from the original J. M. Barrie novel Peter Pan and Wendy.
For 10 points: Peter Pan; Michael Darling; Tootles; Nibs
For 5 points: George Darling (3); Mary Darling (2)
Not mentioned: Wendy Darling; John Darling; Captain Hook; Smee; Tiger Lily; Tinker Bell; Nana; Gentleman Starkey; Slightly; Curly

3 - Name one of the Disney Fairies.
For 10 points: Beck; Terence; Silvermist; Lily; Bess; Queen Clarion; Fairy Mary
For 5 points: Vidia (2)
Not mentioned: Tinker Bell; Fria; Iridessa; Dulcie; Prilla; Rosetta; Iris; Rani; Fawn; Pluck

4 - Name a variety of Peter Pan peanut butter shown on the official website www.peterpanpb.com.
For 10 points: Plus Creamy
For 5 points: Plain Creamy (2); No Added Sugar Creamy (2); Honey Roasted Creamy (2); Reduced Fat Crunchy (2)
Not mentioned: Plain Crunchy; Honey Roasted Crunchy; Reduced Fat Creamy; No Sugar Added Crunchy; Plus Crunchy; Whipped Creamy; Whipped Crunchy

5 - Give me a word of 5 letters or more using the letters in TINKERBELL.
For 10 points: TREBLE; BILLET; INLET; BIKER; RELIT; TRIKE; LENTIL
For 5 points: KILTER (2)
Not mentioned: BLINK; BRINK; KERNEL; INERT; KILLER; ELITE; ENTIRE; KNEEL; LIBEL; TRIBE; KNELL; RELENT; BRINE

It seems that creamy is a definite winner over crunchy in this crowd ...

And so the results are:

With 45 points: cinnam0n; maninmidohio
With 40 points: denni; mugaboo; szabs; nakarinna; brandz_mygirl
With 35 points: srini
With 30 points: gatsby

Congrats! to cinnam0n and maninmidohio for grabbing a point for January!

#404588 - Sun Feb 03 2008 12:13 PM Re: January Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Round 30 results!
Q1 A film with orange in the title
FOR TEN POINTS:
Butterflies and Orange Blossoms (1914), Blood Orange (1953), Orange Barrels from the Phobosphere, Life in the Orange Groves (1920) "Sugar Orange" (2004) A Clockwork Orange (1971)
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Smile Orange" (1976) (2)
NOT MENTIONED
Winter Oranges (2000) and more

Q2 A song title with orange in the title
FOR TEN POINTS:
"Orange" by The Dandy Warhols, Neon Orange Glimmer Song, "40 Orange Cookies" by House Of Large Sizes, The Orange Peeler" by Sparrow Orange, "Orange Drive Palms" - Papa Roach, Orange Crate Art (Brian Wilson)
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Aul Orange Flute (Irish Loyalist Song) (2),
NOT MENTIONED
Oranges and Lemons (a traditional English nursery rhyme) and more

Q3 A book title with orange in the title
FOR TEN POINTS:
"The Case of the One-Penny Orange" by E. V. Cunningham, Criteria for Sewage Works Design (Orange Book). The Orange-yellow Diamond (J.S. Fletcher), Snowball Oranges: One Mallorcan Winter by Peter Kerr, "Tropic of Orange: a Novel" by Karen Tei Yamashita, Big Sur and the Oranges of Hieronymus Bosch (Henry Miller)
FOR FIVE POINTS:
"Five Quarters of the Orange" by Joanne Harris
NOT MENTIONED
The Five orange pips (Sherlock Holmes short story) by Arthur Conan Doyle – although it wasn’t a title of a book – and more

Q4 Something that is traditionally orange
FOR TEN POINTS:
The band and circle on the national flag of Niger, A Belisha beacon, The rightmost vertical stripe on the flag of Ireland, Garfield, Goldfish, Construction signs (in the US), Orange ball in Billiards/Snooker (worth 5 points), Life preserver,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED
An orange, and more!

Q5 Something you can eat which is orange
FOR TEN POINTS:
Baby Aspirin, Cheese, Halloween cupcake with orange frosting, a orange, Cocona, Sweet potatoes, Pumpkin, Clementines
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED
Orange ice-lolly (Popsicle) , carrot and more

SCORES- 7 Players!
Bethfay – 50
Gatsby - 50
maninmidohio – 50
Szabs – 50

Denni – 45
nakarinna - 45

brandz_mygirl - 40
Mugaboo – 40

Well done to Bethfay, Gatsby, maninmidohio and szabs

#404589 - Sun Feb 03 2008 10:56 PM Re: January Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 31 will close in just over 13 hours...

#404590 - Mon Feb 04 2008 12:41 PM Re: January Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 31 is now closed (as of 9:30am FT time).

Edited by nakarinna (Tue Feb 05 2008 09:22 AM)

#404591 - Tue Feb 05 2008 10:47 AM Re: January Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 31 Results

8 players entered this round…

1. Please name one of the seven fundamental principles of the International Red Cross.

For 10 points: Universality, Unity, Voluntary Service

For 5 points: Humanity (3), Independence (2)

Not mentioned: Impartiality, Neutrality

2. Please visit the Louvre and select a painting by Delacroix included on his 'Thematic Trails' tour.

For 10 points: The Barque of Dante, Medea, Liberty Guiding the People

For 5 points: The Massacre at Chios (3), Jewish Wedding in Morocco (2)

Not mentioned: Hamlet and Horatio in the Graveyard, Young Orphan Girl in the Cemetery, The Prisoner of Chillon, The Abduction of Rebecca, Women of Algiers in their Apartment, The Death of Sardanapalus

3. Please name another [Major League Baseball] National League Wins Champion from the 1940s.

For 10 points: Elmer Riddle (1943), Warren Spahn (1949), Johnny Sain (1948), Kirby Higbe (1941), Howie Pollet (1946), Bucky Walters (1940, 1944)

For 5 points: Mort Cooper (1942, 1943) – (2)

Not mentioned: Whit Wyatt (1941), Rip Sewell (1943), Ewell Blackwell (1947)

4. Please give me the name of any other track from de Burgh's album "Into the Light."

For 10 points: "Fire on the Water," "For Rosanna," "The Ballroom of Romance"

For 5 points: "Last Night" (3), "Say Goodbye to It All" (2)

Not mentioned: "The Spirit of Man," "Fatal Hesitation," "One Word (Straight to the Heart)," "The Leader," "The Vision," "What About Me?"

5. From the joinred website, please choose one of the (PRODUCT)RED partners.

For 10 points: Converse, Gap, American Express

For 5 points: Motorola (3), Emporio Armani (2)

Not Mentioned: Apple, Hallmark, Dell, Windows

Scores:

With 40 points: Gatsby722, brandz_mygirl, Mugaboo
With 35 points: maninmidohio, denni19, bethfay, cinnam0n
With 30 points: srini701

Congratulations to Gatsby722, brandz_mygirl, and Mugaboo for picking up a final trivia point of the month each!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#404592 - Sat Mar 08 2008 01:04 PM Re: January Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
As I sat here on a snowbound Saturday afternoon ... in search of aimless ways to pass the weekend (too shivery/blech-y to worry after "aimful" matters, after all ), I thought I'd go ahead and tally January scores. This does not mean I 'tallied' correctly, make no mistake. But I'm pretty sure these are them...

cinnamOn ... 10 points!
maninmidohio ... 9 points!
nakarinna ... 8 points!
szabs ... 7 points!
Mugaboo ... 6 points!
brandz_mygirl ... 5 points!
Gatsby722 ... 4 points!
denni19 ... 3 points!
Lizard_Wizard ... 2 points!
ainenei,
bethfay,
JaneMarple,
srini701,
Taesma ... all 1 point!

Let me know if (or where) I made any miscalcs, yes?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  ozzz2002