Terms of Use

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#405643 - Fri Jan 11 2008 10:48 AM Rant of the day, and a bouquet
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Today I drove into town and parked in a multi-story carpark, in a designated disabled space. I returned to my car only to find that the person driving the card parked next to mine has only parked so close I stood no chance of getting into my car - don't forget, my knickers qualify for the description "giant sized" according to the BBC so squeezing into the car is less of an option that it would be for someone slimmer and more agile than me. I could have got into the car from the passenger side had I been more agile (and a lot slimmer), but it wouldn't have been really easy for anyone as my driver's seat is pulled forward as I am not very tall.

I looked at the parking clock and saw that the person hadn't been parked for long and could be hours.

Then along came a knight in shining armour, or to put it more accurately, a traffic warden in a fluorescent jacket! I checked to ensure that he was slimmer than me, and he was. I asked if he could help me as I was stuck, could he squeeze into the car? He took off his jacket and told me not to press any buttons on his radio or ticket machine - as if I would. Then he went through saying that it was at my own risk, that he couldn't be held responsible if there was a problem. Fine, fine. It was a tight squeeze for him but he managed then moved the car forward for me so I could drive out.

What I really cannot understand, and the reason for being annoyed, is WHY would a disabled driver make life so difficult for another disabled driver? Had s/he parked in the middle of the space instead of my side of the space (and partly in my space) then we both could have had plenty of space - s/he had loads of room to get out of the car, at my expense. The inconsiderate, ignorant person.

The bouquet goes to the lovely traffic warden for his assistance.

We must have a special breed of them here in Jersey, I have never been booked even when I overstayed by well over an hour years ago, the warden that time actually walked back down the road to my office and came in asking me to move my car as I had overstayed!

Anyone else for a rant, or a bouquet?

#405644 - Fri Jan 11 2008 12:14 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ohio USA         
Sue, I have experienced the same things many times over. In those many times, I have also had the person doing it NOT a "disabled" person. I can't speak for there, but in my state we are required to have a licence plate or a window placard, issued by the state, clearly visible. I do not always utilize the Handicapped Parking if it's a distance that is not long to walk, or I know I won't have much to carry out if it is a store. We are limited in number of handicapped spaces and I figure there is someone older or far worse off than I am that could benefit by using the space more than myself. I believe you answered your own question and it would have been mine also. "The inconsiderate, ignorant person." I can only hope these "I don't care how I park, even if you do" people find themselves in the same situation at some point. Maybe they will think twice the next time they pull in. Sandy

#405645 - Fri Jan 11 2008 01:28 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
toadette Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Port Dover Ontario Canada
I hope when the traffic warden opened your car door he wasn't really careful about opening it too widely and the other car got a bit of a ding (I am a bit of a meanie, aren't I?)

#405646 - Fri Jan 11 2008 02:08 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Or possibly, a poor (rather than nasty) driver. I'm parking challenged myself; living in a small town with lots of parking spaces everywhere, I've never had to develop the skill. When I use a multi storey car park, I hate hate hate it, and although I really do do my best, probably everyone around hates it too.

#405647 - Fri Jan 11 2008 02:44 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Has anyone else ever noticed the people with new, expensive cars that feel it's their inherent "right" to take up at least 2 places in order to "protect" themselves from those of us (me anyway ) driving what must be an embarassment to them? They always seem to feel it is all right, also, to add the little diagonal park job on top of that. It brings out an evil urge in me to "accidentally" have my key slide against their door.

#405648 - Fri Jan 11 2008 05:12 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
I really hate it when I see obviously able-bodied people leaving their car after parking in the disabled persons' spaces. It always gives me the urge to call out "Mental disability, is it?"

I once saw a healthy pregnant young woman parking in a disabled bay. I never said a word but my look must have said a lot because she immediately got defensive and said "Well, being pregnant IS a handicap" and flounced off. Let's hope she never REALLY needs that bay!

I have a disabled plate in my car for my mother-in-law who is genuinely disabled (she doesn't drive so I have to drive her wherever she needs to go) but I've yet to use it. So far, we've always been able to get a parking spot close to where we needed to be, so we had no need to use the disabled bay, so we left it for someone else. But I'm amazed at the number of people who have suggested that I should use this plate to my own advantage when I am by myself ( ).

#405649 - Fri Jan 11 2008 05:26 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
bionic4ever Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Chocolate City Wisconsin�USA
We had a gas spill at work, into a puddle of water, which created a nice puddle of hazardous, flammable material. Instead of filling the puddle with Oil Dry, my wonderful boss took a broom and started spreading it out! Unbelievable! (And, since he was pushing it toward the street, illegal.) He finally gave that up and sprinkled 2 tiny bags of cat litter over a mess that now covered almost half of the parking lot. I convinced him that wasn't enough and he finally let me go and get a 50 pound bag.

That, unfortunately, was all he did. He did not call the fire department or DNR to report it, as the law requires, and he left me there to breathe in the lovely fumes all night on Wednesday. I got so sick! Thursday, I went to work to find out he never called anyone to haul away the contaminated Oil Dry and expected me to do it with a little broom and dust pan - 80 pounds' worth, not considering the weight of what it had absorbed. Of course, it started to snow before I could sweep up all the mess, and at the end of the night last night, there was a new puddle in front of the store: melted snow and contaminated Oil Dry residue. A very attractive mess of brownish-gray sludge.

Sorry about the lengthy rant. I'm feeling much better today, since I am not working and inhaling those fumes.

#405650 - Fri Jan 11 2008 09:40 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
dg_dave Online   sleepy
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
Quote:

I'm parking challenged myself; living in a small town with lots of parking spaces everywhere, I've never had to develop the skill.

I'm the complete opposite. I have had to get into a lot of tight spaces parking, so I can easily fit into a space.

Quote:

Has anyone else ever noticed the people with new, expensive cars that feel it's their inherent "right" to take up at least 2 places in order to "protect" themselves from those of us (me anyway ) driving what must be an embarassment to them?

I just got a new car about three months ago, and I don't (and won't) park in two spaces just to keep it from getting hit. If someone else hits it, ther insurance would be paying the claim anyway.

Quote:

But I'm amazed at the number of people who have suggested that I should use this plate to my own advantage when I am by myself

Unfortunately, I'm not too surprised. I personally think it is appalling to use a disabled space if one isn't.

Quote:

I really hate it when I see obviously able-bodied people leaving their car after parking in the disabled persons' spaces. It always gives me the urge to call out "Mental disability, is it?"

I don't call it out, but I think just the same as you, MG. Someone I know would call them other names (not ones I can post here, however).

#405651 - Fri Jan 11 2008 10:06 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
Taesma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Bay Area California USA      
Quote:

Quote:

I don't call it out, but I think just the same as you, MG. Someone I know would call them other names (not ones I can post here, however).

Please, think twice before you assume--not everyone's disabilities are readily visible. People with pulmonary issues, for instance, who may start out fine but rapidly tire if they walk any distance. Or people like me, who have issues that cause their muscles to stop working so well after awhile so that it's a chore to walk even a hundred feet at times. I don't have a disabled parking permit but I can tell you there are times when I certainly wish I had.
Believe me, I have just as much disdain for people who abuse the privilege--I'm just saying please don't judge a book by its cover.

#405652 - Sat Jan 12 2008 12:09 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
dg_dave Online   sleepy
Champion Poster

Quote:

Believe me, I have just as much disdain for people who abuse the privilege

These are the ones I am referring to. There are, as you state, not-so-obvious disabilities. There are days where I cannot walk or stand for a long period of time as I sprained my ankle pretty bad in 1990. I have to use a brace when I work an 11 or 12 hour day at times (I did work 12 today but fortunately did not need the brace ).

#405653 - Sat Jan 12 2008 12:50 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
I had something happen in front of me today that was rather interesting. You know how some people don't get over to the side when emergency vehicles go by? I can't imagine not doing it...and yet, this one fellow must have been driving along ignoring the sirens and a block further, a cop stopped him and was sternly admonishing him.

For once, someone was displaying idiotic behavior and the cop got him...yes!

#405654 - Sat Jan 12 2008 01:25 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
dg_dave Online   sleepy
Champion Poster

Quote:

For once, someone was displaying idiotic behavior and the cop got him...yes!

Instead of always asking yourself...where's a cop when you need one?

#405655 - Sat Jan 12 2008 03:04 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
Quiz_Beagle Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Gloucestershire UK
On the radio yesterday, it was announced one of the big supermarkets is going to fine people who abuse disabled parking bays. About time.

#405656 - Sat Jan 12 2008 03:16 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
supersal1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Essex UK
It always makes me laugh at our local lesure centre. People presumably go there to swim, go to the gym etc but will happily park in the disabled spaces rather than walk a few more yards. I once saw a strapping six footer jump out of his car carrying his squash kit. Some people have no shame.

I once had to pick my daughter up from a party at said place at about 7 pm. I rushed in at a couple of minutes past the hour, and mentioned to one of the other mums that I'd had to park at the back of the car park. She said that I should have parked in one of the disable spaces. When I said I couldn't do that, she said "Oh well, it's dark, no-one will be needing them".

Sue and Sandy, there you go - you're not allowed out after dark.

I'm no goody two shoes but to me, parking in a disabled space if you're not disabled is akin to stealing money from the charity box.

#405657 - Sat Jan 12 2008 03:42 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
Some people never seem to want to anywhere until they can't. Once the ability has been taken away, they aspire to walking everywhere.

In supermarkets and other car parks, it's not being close to the entrance that's important for us. It's having a space wide enough to open the car door all the way in order to allow transfer from the car to the wheelchair (and vice versa). These spaces could be anywhere in the car park really. In fact, it would be nice to get them away from where the cash machines are. It's often those who are only going to be a couple of minutes at the cash machine that use the disabled parking spaces. The trouble is that it can be within those two minutes when a disabled person needs the space.

However, there are disabled people who are not in a wheelchair. They just can't walk great distances for one reason or another. Parking spaces need to be near the entrance for them. There's almost a case for separating wheelchair users parking spaces from spaces that other disabled people need.

One drawback to that. It can take quite a long time to hoist the power chair off the car, get it around to the car door, transfer into it, get the motor engaged, lock the car up etc. If it's pouring with rain there is no getting into the supermarket quickly for us and we get very wet sometimes. Some cover for wheelchair users would be good!

Edited by tellywellies (Sat Jan 12 2008 04:01 AM)

#405658 - Sat Jan 12 2008 05:56 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
supersal1 Offline
Mainstay

Thats a good point. My Dad was one of those who looked relatively hale and hearty, but still couldn't walk very far. He certainly didn't need the extra width provided.

On a similar subject, it annoys me when people park in the parent and child spaces when they don't need them. I'm past that stage now, but parking there had nothing to do with laziness and everything to do with safety. It's a nightmare trying to manouvere a shopping trolley and a couple of small children through a busy car park and the shorter the walking distance, the safer it is.

#405659 - Sat Jan 12 2008 09:20 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

"Sue and Sandy, there you go - you're not allowed out after dark."
Sally, I can only speak for myself, Sue may have already known that. Thank you for explaining one of life's great mysteries to me! It's so obvious, I REALLY should have thought of that myself, but I can be thick at times. I suppose from now on, the keys get put away at dusk and problem solved! Sandy

#405660 - Sat Jan 12 2008 04:52 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
rayven80 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ft. Collins Colorado USA    
Okay, my rant may take a while so please bear with me. Today I found out that 2 stores in the same shopping center as the store I work at were robbed. I was told by someone who heard it from someone, ect. There was no action taken by our company to let us know about this, and the only difference is the police drive through the parking lot twice a day. Now, what really irritates me about this is that my department manager, who is a whiner anyway, saw the taped security footage of waht was a "suspicious" person in our store and she's paranoid that we were going to be first. We weren't and she wasn't at work on the day in question so I'm wondering, why is everyone so paraniod? If I'd robbed two stores in the same shopping center, I'd be on the other side of town because I know where the cops are going to be. Paranoia is rampant and I'm so mad I'm laughing at them to keep from saying what I want to say. Why worry about something that didn't happen? Why worry about something that didn't really affect us? I'm sure if it was a high priority, the company would have called us into a meeting and told us but since that didn't happen, why worry?

#405661 - Sat Jan 12 2008 05:38 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
lanfranco Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA          
Here's one that annoyed me. My husband's aunt, whose affairs we handled for many years before her death, was in a wheelchair for the last years of her life, but she still loved to go shopping or to a movie or the theater. Many public bathrooms in the U.S. now have special stalls for the handicapped; they're large enough to wheel in a chair and allow a caretaker to go in as well, so as to assist the disabled person.

But there we would be, in a line for the ladies' room, and though everyone could see my aunt sitting there in her wheelchair, they would flit in and out of the handicapped stall, right in front of us, while she waited, getting more and more uncomfortable. More than once, I loudly pointed out that the stalls should be used by the able-bodied only if a disabled person who needs them isn't present. I can't type many of the responses I received on a family site. One of the less offensive was, "Hey, lady, we all have to wait in line. So does she!"

On one occasion, a female security guard who happened to be using the ladies' room cleared the way for us, but that was unusual. I once complained to my aunt about all this, and she just smiled and said, "Well, dear, when I was your age, we didn't have these handicapped stalls at all, so I think things have improved." She was too nice, whereas I was ready to kill!

#405662 - Sat Jan 12 2008 08:17 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
Quote:

Please, think twice before you assume--not everyone's disabilities are readily visible.

Yes, that's why I don't say anything - just on the off-chance! However, if a person has a genuine disability, visible or not, they can apply for the parking permit. The people I'm talking about are obviously young and fit and have no permit on display. I doubt they fall into "non-visible disability" category.

#405663 - Sat Jan 12 2008 10:47 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
red_stone Offline
Explorer

Loc: Ontario Canada
For the last couple of months before my mom passed away I used to take her to all of her appointments and to do shopping. At first, when I started taking her frequently I did not say anything if I could not get the disabled parking spot. However in the last couple of months she could not walk for more than a few feet so we had to bring a wheelchair. I know this is not nice but I started bringing those little yellow sticky pads with me, and whenever someone would park to close in the disabled parking lot, so that I could not unload the wheelchair, I would leave them a note on their window. Usually saying something along the line of leave a can-opener next time. Also people obviously did not need it as much as she did, and did not have a permit, really began to tick me off. There were a few times when I left her in the vehicle and I would go into the store for the manager/security and have them call the driver and insist they move the vehicle. I would never consider using a disabled parking spot for my own use, the only times that I have used them is when my mom was with me. In fact most of the time I will park quite a distance away from the doors so that closer parking spots are available for people who have problems walking any distances or the elderly. Also where I am most of the store have parking spots near the doors for pregnant women, so there is no need for them to have to park where they are not supposed to.
In my dealings with some people who are jerks where the disabled are concerned, there are people who will come forward and offer assistance.

#405664 - Sun Jan 13 2008 05:46 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
supersal1 Offline
Mainstay

Ianfranco, did you ever find that though disabled facilities were provided, actually reaching them was rather difficult? That thought occurred to me when I went to the recently refurbished Wembley Arena a couple of months ago. The distance from the main door of the Ladies' to the wall was barely longer than a wheelchair, necessitating a very sharp turn, and then there was another sharp turn before you got anywhere near to the disabled cubicle. It took two of us to get a wheelchair into the Ladies', if a disabled person were trying to manage on their own it would have been a nightmare for them.

#405665 - Sun Jan 13 2008 05:10 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
lanfranco Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA          
Yes, supersal, we did occasionally encounter some very awkwardly located and constructed handicapped stalls, but mostly they were fine. Then again, I think I had all the good ones in my aunt's area scoped out, so I knew where we could go easily and where we couldn't. When you spend a lot of time with a disabled loved one, you tend to become an expert on the local facilities.

One thing that bothered me: ladies' rooms in nicer restaurants tend to be small -- charmingly decorated, but little, with no room for a wheelchair. This made taking my aunt out to lunch or dinner a bit of a problem.

#405666 - Tue Jan 15 2008 03:57 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
bionic4ever Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Chocolate City Wisconsin�USA
A bouquet this morning to my funtrivia family, for patiently bearing with my rants about my job and my boss for over a year now. Your support has helped so much! Today, the rants end. In less than an hour, as soon as the store opens, I am heading down there to turn in my key. I've had all I can take of being treated as something subhuman, and once he put my safety at serious risk, it was the last straw.

I plan to take a day (today) entirely for myself, and begin the job hunt full-time tomorrow. Something better is out there, waiting for me, where someone will actually appreciate how hard I work!
Thanks again for listening.

#405667 - Tue Jan 15 2008 04:44 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Wow!! Well, well done!! Good luck with the job search
I hope you find something worthy of you !

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943