Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#405668 - Tue Jan 15 2008 04:51 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
bionic4ever Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Chocolate City Wisconsinï¿œUSA
Thank you, Ren! I am just finishing a brief note for the man, and then am headed down there to finally stick up for myself.

#405669 - Tue Jan 15 2008 07:00 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South Africa          
Way to go bionic. Good luck and hope you find someone who will apreciate you more than your present boss does.

#405670 - Tue Jan 15 2008 02:36 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
rayven80 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ft. Collins Colorado USA    
Good luck Bionic. A bouquet to my night crew. They are some of the best people I know. Good workers and people to visit with. Thanks everyone, you make my work life so much better!

#405671 - Tue Jan 15 2008 04:59 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
supersal1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Essex UK
You've put up with him for more than long enough, good luck.

#405672 - Tue Jan 15 2008 05:10 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
bionic4ever Offline
Multiloquent

Thank you, everybody, for the support and good wishes. Bouquets to all!

#405673 - Fri Jan 18 2008 08:51 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
vendome Offline
Prolific

Loc: Body: PA USA Heart: Paris   
This has always given me a lot of unnecessary stress and, unfortunately, with my big mouth I just can't let cruel, insensitive and/or inappropriate remarks go unanswered (without making my fair share, that is).

I've had three brain surgeries since 1998. I may look OK, but after walking for a while, my body can stop functioning. As a result, I limit my needing disabled car spaces to a minimum. In King of Prussia Plaza, a nearby mall, there always seems to be a 'senior citizen' who takes it upon him/her self to monitor disabled spaces' usage. Talk about assuming non-existant authority and needing a life!

Anyway, when parking in one of his/her 'guarded' spaces, I've been greeted with, "You look healthy enough to me!", when exiting my car. If I'm in a reasonably tolerant mood, I'll approach with my most innocent aura of concern and say, "I'm sorry. Do you want that spot? Your accident has left you so disfigured. Is there much pain?" Judging by their reaction, they're never quite sure if I'm just a wise$%& or serious. That's their problem. If I'm not very tolerant and a female decides to have something to say, I'll approach her with, "O Wow! This is great! May I have your autograph Mr. Borgnine?"

Solve anything? No. Good for a chuckle? yeah. Sometimes even a guffaw. Prove a point? Hopefully, if the 'accident survivor' and the Ernest Borgnine look alike realize that things are seldom what they seem.

#405674 - Fri Jan 18 2008 03:09 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
The way it works, here, as I understand it, is that you have to have the permit on your car - that is, it's a doctor who decides if you are disabled enough to warrant the parking spot, not yourself. So, really, the issue shouldn't come up.

I've got some experience with 'invisible' disabilities, through my son who is visually impaired. He can see, but is legally blind. (this does not entitle us to a permit for parking, by the way). A person just casually looking at him would not notice that there is anything wrong with him, especially if he is in a familiar environment. This sometimes leads to problems - in fast food restaurants, for example, where the menu is posted on the wall behind the counter. He needs to stand right up at the counter to read it, and can only read it very slowly. Gets a lot of nasty comments from the staff, or people in line. He is thinking of getting a white cane, just to alert the world around him that there is in fact a problem here, even if it is not obvious at first glance.

#405675 - Fri Jan 18 2008 04:57 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
I believe our local supermarker - Asda - is clamping down on people parking in disabled bays and who aren't disabled. Like me, I have a disabled badge. I can't walk very far, I tire easily, and although I might look fit and healthy, appearances can be deceptive.

#405676 - Mon Jan 21 2008 10:09 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
callie_ross Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Hawaii USA
It makes me mad when I see able bodied people parking in a handicapped space. If I happen to see somebody doing it, I have been known to speak up. It's probably not the best thing to do, but it makes me feel better! I have even called the police on people before for parking there. Serves them right!

#405677 - Mon Jan 21 2008 02:39 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
rayven80 Offline
Mainstay

But just because people look healthy, doesn't mean they are.

#405678 - Mon Jan 21 2008 06:46 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Quote:

But just because people look healthy, doesn't mean they are.

That is very true. People that I know and haven't seen me recently will inevitably comment on how well I am looking, particularly if I have bothered to apply some slap. When I park my car I am well able to walk away from the car, no stick (I normally leave it in the car) but if they bothered to follow me they will see me pause after about 80 yards (or less) then will see me stopping frequently to look in shop windows - or actually taking a rest. If they tried speaking to me they would find me to be very breathless. What I really wouldn't need is for someone to berate me for using a disabled space.

#405679 - Tue Jan 22 2008 03:20 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

We had an interesting story in our local paper. A police officer parked his police car in a disabled space so he could go to the bank.
A gentleman asked the security guard why the police car was parked there. The guard told him the police officer had laughed at him (the guard) when he told him he could not park his car in a disabled parking space.
The gentelman took a picture of the police car, left his business card with the guard to give to the police officer and asked him to tell him he was going to send the photo to the local paper.
The police officer called the gentelman and told him he had taken a disabled 'person' in a wheel chair to the bank. Unfortunately the gentelman had asked the guard if there was a wheelchair and he said no. The officer then admitted there was no wheel chair and he had just run into the bank 'quickly'.
The matter has been taken up with the police department so will have to wait and see what happens next. (I suspect nothing will happen.)

The shopping center says they have problems all the time with people parking in diabled spots but they are no longer allowed to clamp wheels so they are thinking of puting up chains and disabled people will have to hoot for the guard to come and open for them.

What a world we live in.

#405680 - Tue Jan 22 2008 08:41 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
I live in a small community where I know just about everybody (AND I used to work at the local doctor's surgery), which means that when I see people parking in the disabled parking bays at the local shops, I am usually aware of whether or not they are entitled to park there.

The chemist shop (drug store) is usually open when the rest of the shopping centre is closed and even when the entire parking lot is virtually empty, you still get these selfish able-bodied people who park in the disabled bays. One time I asked the security guard why he didn't ask them to park elsewhere and he claimed the shopping centre management wouldn't allow it in case it offended anyone and discouraged them from shopping there.

Re the incident with the policeman, if that happened here in Perth, that policeman would most likely lose his job. Recently a policeman parked his car on a footpath or median strip (can't remember which) at the local shops while he dashed inside to buy a sandwich. There was nowhere else to park. Someone took a photo of his vehicle and sent it in to the newspaper. He was promptly suspended. Interestingly, it prompted a flood of letters to the newspaper accusing the photographer and the newspaper of pettiness. Most of the readers felt that, since the police put their lives on the line for us every day, the least we can do is turn a blind eye to such small transgressions.

#405681 - Tue Jan 22 2008 10:13 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
I can understand the frustration of everybody here - it's not always an easy situation to call right off the cuff.
Here in my largish community, people grumble about the VAST array of un -used handicapped parking spots.
Truth is, it's annoying to see as many as twenty wasted spaces up front at a large store, and dozens of people are walking way across the lot in ten degree weather.
Obviously, we need handicapped spaces. But somebody has gotten carried away with the numbers. Perhaps they need to pay better attention to how many disabled folks actually live here in backwoods Arkansas. I have a feeling they're basing their local program on Los Angeles stats, or something. It seems half the parking lot you can't park in, and the number of blue spaces keep increasing every year.
I also agree with MG's frustration over seeing able bodied folk go bounding into the store, parked in a blue space. Disability can't always be spotted from across the parking lot however, so I try and not jump to conclusions.
That's not easy.

#405682 - Tue Jan 22 2008 12:59 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
supersal1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Essex UK
That's a good point ktstew. Round here, there probably aren't enough around town centres and near shops. However, a few years ago the company I work for amalgamated all it's local offices (all near train and bus routes) into one huge building, just out of town and not near any train stations. The local council would only grant planning permission for parking spaces at a rate of about one space for every 4 members of staff. They insisted on a certain number of disabled spaces being provided, and there are way too many of these. It is rather frustrating when people are having to catch three different buses to work to get there and see all those empty car-parking spaces!

#405683 - Tue Jan 22 2008 01:07 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
rayven80 Offline
Mainstay

I disagree with the police being able to get around small rules. Forgive my naïveté, but I think they should still be held to a higher standard.

#405684 - Tue Jan 22 2008 02:45 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

But if the police park their police car in a disabled parking, to run personal errants, then everyone else should be allowed to park in the disabled parking too. He was just too lazy to walk a few extra steps.

If he was responding to a crime, he should be allowed to park anywhere. He was just using his position to save himself a walk.

#405685 - Tue Jan 22 2008 03:16 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
callie_ross Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Hawaii USA
I'm afraid I left something out in my post and I apologize. I left out the part where I check to see if the person in question who is parked in the handicapped space has a handicapped license plate on their car or one of those handicapped permit cards hanging from their rearview mirror before I say or do anything. In America, before anyone can park in one of these spaces, a special license plate or parking permit card is required and must be displayed properly. Sorry I left that part out!

#405686 - Tue Jan 22 2008 05:54 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Here we have a 'disabled' badge (a card) with the date of expiry on the front and the photo of the holder on the back which needs to be shown if/when asked by traffic wardens etc to ensure the disabled person is indeed travelling in the car. The badges are valid for three years.

#405687 - Tue Jan 22 2008 10:35 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nebraska USA
I have to admit it's nice to shop with my mom, for lots of reasons, obviously, but in part because I get the benefit of her handicapped permit. I THINK the laws differ by state, but where I am in the US, a handicapped permit is required to park in a handicapped spot, and a fairly hefty fine (something like $500, I think) is the reward for anyone caught parking without said permit. Even if you're handicapped and HAVE a permit, if it is not with you in the vehicle, you can be fined for using a handicapped space. Because of my mother and several friends who are in wheelchairs, I admit I'm fairly aggressive about folks who park in spaces without their permits. I've been known to call the police a time or two myself.

But I also agree that the handicapped spaces can be a double-edged sword. At large stores, Walmart springs to mind, the number of handicapped spaces probably account for something close to 10% of the available parking. I am pretty sure nothing like 10% of shoppers are handicapped, the ratio is pretty far-fetched, and it does get awfully cold here. On the other hand, parking in our downtown area is notoriously slim pickings, and the handicapped spaces number only a few every couple of blocks, except near larger buildings like the auditorium or larger banks. It is SUCH a relief to go downtown with mum.

My mom can't shop for long at all without having her cane with her, but if she happens to forget it in the car, or at home, it would not appear that she has any handicap. Until you saw her about 20 minutes later hobbling around and grimacing. We've gotten a few dirty looks in our time, but they're usually quelled by rushing to get the heavy doors for my mother and a quick obscene gesture behind her back while I ask her loudly if I need to go back to the car for her cane.

#405688 - Tue Jan 22 2008 11:39 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
bionic4ever Offline
Multiloquent

When I used to be a manager for Pizza Hut, one of my new employees parked his car in the handicapped spot, and when I asked him about it (carefully, even though he appeared quite strong and able-bodied), it turned out he had an artificial leg as a result of cancer surgery some years before. I'm glad I'd asked nicely and didn't have to wear egg on my face! You really never can tell....!

#405689 - Wed Jan 23 2008 11:21 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
Quote:

When I used to be a manager for Pizza Hut, one of my new employees parked his car in the handicapped spot, and when I asked him about it (carefully, even though he appeared quite strong and able-bodied), it turned out he had an artificial leg as a result of cancer surgery some years before. I'm glad I'd asked nicely and didn't have to wear egg on my face! You really never can tell....!

Good example, B4. That's just the kind of scenario I was trying to think of, but didn't have any personal experiences to relate.

#405690 - Wed Jan 23 2008 11:44 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
I was going to mention Wal-Mart's policy of putting entire rows of spaces in front of their stores, providing mobilized carts to shop in and the way it appears at first glance to be a great thing.

the one thing that I was taken aback about with this policy was that I noticed a lot of people using those carts in the stores. I was thinking that Wal-Mart may have done this to get the market from people who probably could not shop if they didn't have this possiblity. I mean people who were truly obese. I figure it's better that they can get out and shop like anyone else, but, is the store's policy truly altruistic in this way?

I cannot cast the first stone as I'm probably classified as obese on some charts at the moment but, I'm wondering if the policies at some chains are not there for monetary reasons rather than making things easier for those with disabilities.

it does not matter one way or the other to me though. As I said in the smoking thread, ostracizing someone for their difference isn't going to help them any, inclusion is the best way to help others. It's better that a four hundred pound woman with difficulties walking shops with her children riding on that cart than that she's isolated socially and physically from society. Isolation would be a greater enemy.

I also can tell tales of a friend who was missing a leg from a motorcycle accident and who did not use the spaces because he was very mobile and in fact, participated in many sports including skiing etc. The one exception he made was, um...getting pulled over for a minor citation by a police officer and taking off his leg or pulling up his trouser leg.

#405691 - Wed Apr 16 2008 10:57 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Bringing this one up because I have a rant today.

A few months ago, I purchased a lovely ring and matching necklace for my mother as a gift. The ring was too large and needed to be re-sized, which is a free service. Mom and I took the ring back to the store in Arizona the beginning of March for re-sizing. The receipt form asked for an address for shipping the ring back to mom upon completion, since it had to be sent out of town to another jeweler for re-sizing. Mom's name, address and phone number were listed on the receipt.

This morning, a well-known shipping company, called my mother's home asking for MY correct address as they had a package for delivery for ME. Mom, not going to give out my address without knowing for sure who it is, gives them my phone number. When the shipping company called me for my correct address, I find that the address on the package has my correct street address, but a city I've never heard of in North Carolina, clear across the U.S.! The return name on the package gave no clue as to who it was from or what the package contained. After some clever deducing on both mom and my part, we came to the conclusion that it was her ring. They must have used my street address from the original receipt when purchased but where they came up with North Carolina instead of Arizona, I'll never know. Especially since the completed ring was to be sent to my mom's address.

But that's not all! After figuring out what was in the package, I called the shipping company back to give them a correct address (since they called for one in the first place), but now I'm told they can't change the address and have to send it back to the shipper! I asked them why did they call me in the first place for a correct address if they can't change it and they didn't know why!

#405692 - Wed Apr 16 2008 11:14 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
rayven80 Offline
Mainstay

Sounds like a fairly incompetent shipping company. I'm glad that someone brought this back up because I need to rant for a few minutes. This morning, Mom called me at work. Not a huge snafu in ittself but since no one calls me at work, I went instant paraniod. Turns out she called to remind me that the dogs she was watching at her house had gone home. I figured that if I went up there and they were gone, they went home. I went on a good 20 minute rant when I went back to my department. When I got home, I discovered that she hadn't even called there, let alone left a messege.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943