Rules
Terms of Use

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#405693 - Wed Apr 16 2008 09:35 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
dfc4385 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Barnegat New Jersey USA       
My rant would be this - I am attempting to make a right hand turn from the right lane - person in the left land next to me is attempting to make a left turn - and pulls out far enough to block my view.
Or - I park in a parking space and the vehicle next to me is one of these humongous SUV's and blocks my view when I back out. My only consolation is that they must pay a fortune now to fill up with fuel!

#405694 - Thu Apr 17 2008 12:15 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
rayven80 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ft. Collins Colorado USA    
Just to add to yesterday's rant, today Mom called and asked if I appreciated living in the house I do. It belongs to her and is down the street from her, but I pay all the bills and do the upkeep. I don't pay rent but I've offered to and I've offered to buy it from her in the past. It's always no, you'll have to wait till I die. So, anything I say that irritates her ends in "so how much do you want your rent to be?". Because I was short with her yesterday for scaring me, I am either pegged as unappreciative because I live in "her" house, or I'm just mean. I think I'll visit my aunt and get her opinion. At least she'll give me an objective one.

#405695 - Thu Apr 17 2008 02:42 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
rayven80 Offline
Mainstay

A huge bouquet to talentedone!

#405696 - Thu Apr 17 2008 06:00 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
Yaarbiriah Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Jerusalem Israel
Two rants to pick on today, hard to decide which annoys me more!
First, which clearly concerns me, is a small group of kids, (not from our immediate neighbourhood but from next one up the hill, we don't know their folks at all), who have been setting fires in the forest. Thankfully not a lot of damage so far but we're just starting into the dry season.
Sheer wanton vandalism. We're onto them.. police have been down here and a concerned young man on a cross country scooter have been chasing them but so far they've eluded capture.
Sad when people drop cigarettes or leave campfires unattended but this is just mischief. There's a great sports centre up the hill and other facilities...

Other is kids who take pets and then are unable to care for them and hope we'll take them, especially when they find a litter of feral kittens or puppies. We can give advice but we just have to keep saying 'no, we don't take, sorry!' I just dread to find a box of pups or kits abandoned on the doorstep one day so I appreciate that they actually call. There's a city pound and a humane centre but both are overflowing... again, too much to say here. The city is onto this problem.

#405697 - Mon Apr 21 2008 10:56 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
rayven80 Offline
Mainstay

I tore into our acting department manager something awful on Friday. Nothing seems to be going right and it's not like I can go to the district manager and tell him what I'd like to. So I vent to her. She tells me that we should not complain because it doesn't do any good. I told her that I'm not holding all this inside, that's why that guy went Safeway. Mid tirade, she gets this crafty look on her face and says "How's Jason?" Now she knows my weakness because I stopped and just grinned. She laughed at me and we got back to work. A bouquet to all those who listen to people vent.

#405698 - Mon Apr 21 2008 11:07 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
Going through the surburban main street on the way home Friday evening, an SUV whose driver must have been totally clueless went into the opposite lane, then came back into the right lane, then stopped dead and made us all guess about whether she wanted to park or not...and yet it was a parallel space and I doubt anyone without a modicum of driving talents could manage that, then, she lurches forward and apparently transmits her desire to park in another space being vacated by her superior mental powers!
No turn signal at all, and her little manoeuver in the middle of the road in the face of oncoming traffic was a doozie!

There were at least ten of us waiting patiently for her.
I rolled down my window and said, 'turn signal please!'
there is an enormous free parking lot one block over with more than enough spaces for restaurant traffic at night.

Oh well, it was a long week. At least she wasn't talking on her phone.

#405699 - Mon Apr 28 2008 03:36 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
PurpleFan Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: New Westminster BC Canada
OK my rant is about a Eyewear Store and how they messed up on my glasses which I had ordered from them a few yrs ago and although I didn't buy the frames from them I certainly spent enough on my lenses special make Nikon's.

Anyway I was cleaning them one day and noticed a Bubble in the left lens.OK so I go to the original store where the lenses were ordered and I'm told I melted the lenss?
Aside from the fact that they didnt believe me they had the nerve to charge me over 400:00 bucks for a new one.

Well rather than have to go all the way back downtown they had a branch office closer to my home so I was told I could pick up the lens there.

Well after waiting for almost three weeks I call this other store and they have no clue who I am or where my lens is.

Finally I get a call from this store to bring in
my glasses and they would send them to the lab to get the new lens put in leaving me to wear a old pair for five days.

I wait another
five days and nothing no call so I drop in and they haven't gotten them back yet

I just get home andthey call me so back I go. Well I try them on only to discover they have changed the WRONG LENS
I couldn't believe it as the girl when she took the glasses knew it was suppose to be the LEFT lens.

I threw up my hands and went what now? And how could you have told them the Right Lens when you clearly saw the mess the left lens was in?

Not even a I am so sorry for the mistake. OK so I have to leave the glasses there again and go home to wait.

This time is was ten days before they called me again.
OK I got the glasses and did they offer me any kind of explantion on how the mix up happened or a I am so sorry or here let us give you a bottle of lens cleaner as a apology or a discount on the lens? Not a single thing not even we are so sorry for the mix up.

Not only did they mess me up they messed up a simple thing like a pair of Sunglasses that my Sister had ordered that same day.

They have lost alot of business now as I have been spreading the word and so have my friends and family. Even my family Doctor has said he will not send anyone there if they ask for a eyewear place.

OK Rant Over.

Edited by PurpleFan (Mon Apr 28 2008 04:06 PM)

#405700 - Mon Sep 22 2008 09:03 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
I haven't had a rant for a while so time for another.

My lawnmower is horrid, my old one (which has packed up) was much better. This one I had bought to replace my old one a couple of years ago but hated it so much, it is totally useless, so used the old one until it finally died.

Today I decided to buy a new one to replace this one, cutting the grass yesterday was more than a chore. So along I drive to the local garden centre and look as I might do you think I could find them? No. So I asked an assistant and was told they hadn't sold hem for a number of years!

Now this is a garden centre remember. If I had wished to buy clothes, shoes, boots, biscuits, sweets, pets and all their food and equipment, framed pictures, conservatory furniture, cushions, bed throws, toiletries, greetings cards and paper, books, toys and more then they could offer me a wide choice, just not a lawnmower. Sheesh.

#405701 - Tue Sep 23 2008 06:54 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Adelaide South Australia    
Oh, I'd forgotten about this thread. I need a rant as well.

Why do the kids (and I call them that, they are so immature) in my history class think that it is even remotely acceptable, when a teacher doesn't turn up for a lesson, to begin throwing things at the fan. They weren't just soft things either, but pointy objects like pens and pencils. Are they so short sighted that they cannot see possible consequences to their actions, that they can't see that someone getting hurt is not merely something that happens to everyone else. Also, what gives them the right to attempt to bully me into not leaving the classroom, assuming that I would just go find the teacher. Never mind that I don't want my head cut open or my eye poked out, they didn't even see that. All they cared about was having to do work

Sometimes my peers can be so incredibly stupid and immature, it makes me wonder how they live with themselves when (or indeed if) they actually reflect on what they do in their spare time and realise how idiotic it is.

/rant.

#405702 - Tue Sep 23 2008 07:32 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Maybe this is too obvious but could you turn the fan off?

#405703 - Wed Sep 24 2008 12:26 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
ecnalubma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia 
I live around the corner from a school. My street is a dead-end street - and is not a cul-de-sac with a wide circle at the end in which to turn around - it just stops.

I am annoyed an irritated by the number of parents (mostly women, I might add, but the occasional bloke) who park either side of the narrow street in which the school is in and block the flow of traffic. Traffic is reduced to one lane - and it shouldn't be. There are 'No Standing' signs and 'Clearway' signs that are blatantly obvious, and yet these morons think because they are dropping their kids off at school they have the right to inconvenience the rest of us.

The clearways are there so that other drivers can see if children are moving about, and see the lollipop crossing. It's a safety thing for all children and drivers - but apparently, if it's not about the drivers who think they have the right to park there irrespective, then it just doesn't matter. The school agrees that people shouldn't park there as they put other children at risk - but they refuse to 'name and shame' the parents who do by publishing the licence plates / make and model of the vehicle as 'these parents might be offended'. Who cares if they are offended - they choose to put the lives of other children at risk, they should be offended by their own behaviour. I'm sure they'd see it differently if someone else chose to put their child at risk like that.

There is a drop-off zone, especially constructed for parents to drive into and drop of their little brats, that is off the street and does not block traffic. The parents won't use it because 'it's too far to walk'! Lazy so-and-sos!

Then there are the real brain-surgeons-in-training who expect the traffic to stop while they push their kids across the road - there is a perfectly serviceable school crossing not 100m down the street (it's a short street), and they're too lazy to walk their kids down there and have them safely crossed by the lollipop lady! No, the rest of us are supposed to stop so that their kids can cross the road where ever that parent is prepared to drop them off. What irritates me that if someone were to hit one of those children by accident, the driver would be the worst person born to unmarried parents on the face of the earth - and the parents of said child would not take one iota of responsibility. It's easier to blame someone else for your own stupidity.

Then there are the ones who park on the corner (no, not near the corner, but actually on the corner), or who decide that a side-street is the perfect place to do a U-Turn. I've almost been hit several times now in my own car, foolishly (it would seem) following the road rules.

These people anger me - a bunch of twits who think that the whole world revolves around them and their laziness / stupidty. Don't get me started on the people who insist on driving 'Chelsea Tractors' in the burbs. Especially those who couldn't drive a greasy finger up their own .....!

Edited by ecnalubma (Fri Sep 26 2008 02:50 AM)

#405704 - Wed Sep 24 2008 04:23 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Adelaide South Australia    
Quote:

They would've just turned it back on again.

#405705 - Wed Sep 24 2008 06:40 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
Quote:

Quote:

They would've just turned it back on again.

That was my thoughts too.

My rant today is about a bank in which I have had money deposited for about twenty years. Recently I received a letter from them informing me that they were giving a month notice of changes to charges; that sounds fair enough until I read them. What it amounted to is not being able to access my money, ever, without paying £20-30. Sorry, but I can accept that more than one or two withdrawals a year only might be free, but to pay for every one? Result, I went to another bank and opened an account there then wrote to the first bank telling them to send my money to them immediately, that I would accept the loss of interest as a penalty.

Today I received a phone call from them asking why I was closing my account, I am sure they thought it was to do with the current banking problems, not so as I told her, although I admit that I am happier to have the money in a UK bank now.

#405706 - Fri Sep 26 2008 04:54 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
Sue, I'm so glad you resurrected this RANT thread. I have a rant today! I'm so sick and tired of hearing about politics, politics, politics! He said! She said! And now what do I see when I come to Fun Trivia? More politics! Sure, I don't have to read it, but come on, how can one not read the name of a thread -- BAH! HUMBUG!

#405707 - Fri Sep 26 2008 06:00 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ohio USA         
Well, you don't need to worry about the politics being discussed on here anymore, Jar. The thread is now locked.

#405708 - Sat Sep 27 2008 09:42 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
toadette Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Port Dover Ontario Canada
Quote:

Sue, I'm so glad you resurrected this RANT thread. I have a rant today! I'm so sick and tired of hearing about politics, politics, politics! He said! She said! And now what do I see when I come to Fun Trivia? More politics! Sure, I don't have to read it, but come on, how can one not read the name of a thread -- BAH! HUMBUG!

We've also got an upcoming election, so we get news from both the Canadian and American elections.

#405709 - Sat Sep 27 2008 03:37 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
We have an election coming up here too.

#405710 - Sat Sep 27 2008 07:21 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
We've just had an election here in our state and what a shemozzle it was! The premier called an early election and didn't give anybody enough time to get organised - hoping to catch the opposition party in disarray, I guess. However, it backfired on him because he lost the election by a very narrow margin. We had all kinds of problems at the polling booths because the electoral commission didn't have enough time to get everything organised properly.

The general mood of the voters was negative and many voiced the opinion that neither party was worth voting for and it was a choice between the lesser of two evils.

The only good thing about it was that it gave us temporary respite from hearing about the American election. Now that ours is over, we are being bombarded with it again.

#405711 - Sun Sep 28 2008 12:10 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ohio USA         
I'm sorry you are all so tired of hearing about the elections here in the U.S., but when you are talking about the lives of a lot of FT members being changed drastically, I think it's more important than your complaints about it. I'm sorry, but this is not some run of the mill situation we are in here and I keep reading posts all over FT "how what we do will affect all of you and we had better get it right this time", yet no one wants to hear about it? Well, turn off your radios, TVs, and look carefully before you read anything on the Internet or in a newspaper. It is real and it is damn scary. Rant over.

#405712 - Sun Sep 28 2008 07:36 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

I think everyone is quite aware that the election is important but that doesn't stop them feeling sick to death of being bombarded by the media - especially when the quality of information provided by the media is questionable and biased. What we've mostly seen is mud-slinging, rather than a focus on the issues.

Also, the amount of money spent on the election is obscene when there are people dying for lack of food and healthcare - and I am talking about in America, not in some third-world country. I spent a month in the U.S. earlier this year and I was staggered by the number of homeless people I saw.

#405713 - Mon Sep 29 2008 10:09 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
JuniorTheJaws Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South Philadelphia PA USA    
Quote:

Also, the amount of money spent on the election is obscene when there are people dying for lack of food and healthcare - and I am talking about in America, not in some third-world country. I spent a month in the U.S. earlier this year and I was staggered by the number of homeless people I saw.

I agree! The monies spent on mud-slinging are outrageous and definitely could be and should be put to better use...like helping those less fortunate.

Edited by JuniorTheJaws (Mon Sep 29 2008 11:47 AM)

#405714 - Mon Sep 29 2008 03:50 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
Nightmare Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
Let me take the podium about TV commercials.

Free trial for an item at no risk! Then why do they want a credit card number? You are taking a risk right off the bat with that. Some offers give you a free second item. Free! No, you just pay for the shipping or processing charges. That's not free. And why must you allow 3-4 weeks for delivery? If they want your business (money), then they can ship it the same week at the same cost.

Now to the medications that are advertised on TV. How many of these commercials do we have to endure? They are a hypochondriacs dream! They either convince you that you have this disease or condition, or make you wonder by being ambiguous about an everyday condition that you can relate to, and it could lead to something that could kill you. Hurry and tell your doctor or go buy the medication to save your life!

Now the alarm and health alert companies: It is pretty pathetic that some run commercials that involve you being asleep when a burglar breaks in. They want you to turn normal noises at night into something catastrophic. If that's not enough, they run commercials to show that the parents are not home, but the kids are, and wham, a burglar! What about the elderly who "fall and can't get up"? They push a button that cost them thousands of dollars, when a simple remote telephone dialer could have done the same thing. They make you think that you will die alone with no help from anyone! In both cases, you pay a monthly service fee to have a third party receive your call (not the police). They call your home in return, then make the decision to call the police/ambulance or not. Time counts in these scenerios. These scare tactics are used in politics everyday, but to sell consumer products via this method is a shame.

On to the cuisine: I have never bought a pizza or a burger that looks like the one on a TV commercial. Never once has a burger that I purchased looked leafy, had steam coming out of it, or had a taste that equated to having an orgasm as some commercial actors portray. I've also never seen so many burger-eaters with fresh manicures that hold a burger in a way that it is the biggest thing they've ever held. Pizzas on the other hand have never been either delivered or served at the table with that bubbly-blister looking cheese on top. It has always been a warm greasy fat mess that you could squeeze the grease out of like a wet sponge.

Insurance companies that advertise on TV almost guarantee an average savings of $350 per year on your car insurance has never panned out. In what town are they saving these people money? Not here, and after you realize that they have misrepresented themselves and given you a quote that is much higher than your current insurer, you've already given them your social security number, driver's license number, and date of birth. Who are these people who now have all your personal information, enough to steal your identity?

Some commercials have their fine print disclaimer on the screen so quick, that you have to record the commercial and pause it to be able to read it. When one does, they see that it disclaims almost everything that they said during the commercial itself.

Exercise equipment? Coming soon is the time of the year that will be inundated with body-building and weight-loss machines again. Have you ever smiled the whole time during a workout like the commercials depict? And how come none of those people in the commercials are sweating?

The only problem to all this is that people buy all this bunch of mechanically-separated turkey-processed baloney. Its not even real. Companies continue to advertise with these methods because their marketing companies tell them that it works. What a sad world it is that doesn't have a legitimate regulatory system against stuff like this.

I'm done, and no I don't feel better because the time it took me to write this, another 250 consumers got sucked into another scam.

#405715 - Mon Sep 29 2008 06:35 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Don't hold back, Nightmare, let it all out! Just kidding . I agree with you. Most advertisements are an insult to one's intelligence.

#405716 - Tue Sep 30 2008 11:39 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
ecnalubma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia 
I'm just glad that it is illegal to advertise prescription medications here in Australia (actually, I believe it is only legal in the USA and New Zealand) - but I'm well over the 'erectile dysfunction' ads, as well as the hayfever and heartburn ads. It bothers me that these while these are not prescription medications (and therefore you can just ask for one at the chemist), it relies upon the consumer to self-diagnose. I see too many lives lost from self-diagnosis of heartburn when it is in fact a heart attack.

#405717 - Wed Oct 01 2008 01:34 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South Africa          
Quote:

Some commercials have their fine print disclaimer on the screen so quick, that you have to record the commercial and pause it to be able to read it.

Currently running on TV here are New Car ads with such a reasonable monthly payment it seems too good to be true. (That is always a good reason to be afraid.) Then the fine print below shows the amount of a balloon payment after 24 months, the print is so small and it is on the screen for only a few seconds - I wonder how many people have fallen prey to this 'scam'.

Edited by lady1 (Wed Oct 01 2008 01:34 AM)

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943