Rules
Terms of Use

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#405718 - Sat Oct 04 2008 04:06 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
Grrrr. How difficult is it to follow directions! Especially when one is standing by a yellow "Do Not Cross" tape, with barricades, motioning motorists (in a parking lot, no less). Yes, I was in my uniform, couldn't help but see me. Last night I was assisting in partitioning a parking lot in advance of an exhibition this morning. People exiting the lot (a HUUUGE lot) could just cannot seem to understand me as I was motioning "go that way!" Aarrggh. DUuuh!

Now, I would hope, and I'm sure (yeah, right) all the fire apparatus, police cars, helicopters, etc. will be able to follow directions today.

#405719 - Sat Oct 04 2008 05:58 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
Nightmare Offline
Multiloquent

No kidding Jar. It is like a WET PAINT sign. Why do people have to touch it to see how wet it is? Duuuuh plus three! Amazing isn't it? On the other hand, its people like those that make you and I look so good. The only problem is, they probably make more money than you and I, and in their own minds don't have to follow rules. They're "special". :-)

#405720 - Sat Oct 04 2008 07:50 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
It puts me in mind of that classic George Carlin quote:

“Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!”

Quote:

and in their own minds don't have to follow rules

I see this every day in the classroom! I teach short courses for adults and on the first day of every new class, the first thing we do is introduce ourselves. By the time we've done the introductions, I can usually predict which member(s) of the class will fall into the above category.

We have a discount book club where I work and on Friday, I picked up the book that I ordered and I put it on my desk on top of my purse. I was flabbergasted when one of the students went up to my desk and helped herself to the book without even asking.

#405721 - Sat Oct 04 2008 08:10 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
Pagiedamon Offline

Loc: North Carolina USA
I teach adults, like MotherGoose, which reminded me of a rant that I shared with another Funtriviate recently. I teach a Saturday class that meets for four full hours. Pretty consistently, one of my students will be absent from class and then the next time ask me, "So, did I miss anything important?"

Um...hello? My one Sat. class is like missing four regular ones. Grr!

#405722 - Sun Oct 05 2008 09:04 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ohio USA         
Yes, some people just don't think they have to follow rules, do they? About 2 hours ago, while sitting here at the desk in my foyer and glancing out the window, I noticed my next door neighbor *bending down and gathering* something in a trash bag from my yard and with a broom in his hand. I walked out onto the porch to speak with him/see what was going on and guess what I saw? Someone, no doubt drunker than Cooter Brown, had decided to throw about a case of empty beer bottles in my yard and some in his!
That is absolutely beyond me, how anyone could be that disrespectful not only to homeowners, but society in general. A lot of them were also broken on the sidewalk and we have a lot of the neighborhood's churchgoers walking past here on a Sunday morning, many of them elderly. I'm thankful all who know me also know that I don't have drinking fests here and even if I did, I would never use my property or anyone's as a trash dump. I have to say, it was very disheartening.

#405723 - Sun Oct 05 2008 11:13 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
What a kind neighbour to clear your property too.

#405724 - Mon Oct 06 2008 09:26 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ohio USA         
Yes, you are right, Sue! I was so upset I neglected to even mention how grateful I am to have him. He is a wonderful friend of 20 years, knows my physical situation and limitations, so he always tries to help whenever possible. I get him small gifts throughout the year as a thank you for being such a caring and good person. They can be such a *rare breed* anymore and it's an honor to know a person like him.

#405725 - Mon Oct 06 2008 11:58 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
vendome Offline
Prolific

Loc: Body: PA USA Heart: Paris   
Hi ambam...euca...acne...um, eucl...
Hi there!

My blood pressure soared when I read your rant. These people are knowingly breaking the law judging by the signs posted, creating a dangerous, annoying and inconvenient situation for you and your neighbors, not to mention potential harm to their own kids navigating in traffic on roads unable to handle it.

I live in a condominium that had real traffic problems when it was being constructed. It got so bad that the resident manager formed a Traffic Committee of residents to attempt a resolution. We found that most of the people in violation were just careless; parking in no parking areas so they could be closer to their unit, etc. We started out with a courteous reminder to the offender. If the situation didn't improve, a more direct notice was sent.

The situation improved overnight when step number three was taken:

http://www.myparkingpermit.com/MPP/parki...CFQNHFQodoRZOEQ

Gee, the good old days. I miss hearing fingernails againt windshields at 6 am with the muffled swearing drifting up to my bedroom. Yep, those were the days.

I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy.

#405726 - Tue Oct 07 2008 01:03 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
adawaz Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Guildford Western Australia   
Also 2 weeks of the campaign fell into the Olympic fortnight and we were spared the usual TV rubbish for that time !

#405727 - Tue Oct 07 2008 11:27 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
ecnalubma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia 
I'm hearing you, vendome, I would love to wander around in the morning and afternoon placing these stickers on the cars of offending parents. I really would.

It's not rocket science - having said that, I'm reasonably certain these people are not working for NASA.

What annoys me is that they are stupid enough to put their own children at risk with this kind of behaviour - and I'm the bunny who has to pick up the pieces when kids get hit by cars, so I don't like it when fools contribute to this.

You can call me Ec, if you like - it's a lot shorter, and reasonably simple I think.

#405728 - Fri Oct 10 2008 09:53 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
djsgal Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Springfield Virginia USA     
This is my first "Rant" on this thread, but I gotta vent...

We have 12 college football players that rent the house next door, and they love to have their friends over at the wee hours of the morning and visit loudly out in the street and back patio. Screaming, laughing, playing basketball, etc... Last night my husband and I were awake for over 2 hours, from 1 am to nearly 3:30 am. We asked them to be quiet and they would for about 10 minutes and then it would start up all over again. The peak of the evening was that we finally called the football coach at 2:30 to complain, and then the players rang our doorbell to complain to US that the coach just chewed them out because we called!! I'm exhausted and just about at my wit's end with these guys. I think I'm mostly afraid that they will take revenge on us for getting them in trouble... (vent vent vent)

#405729 - Fri Oct 10 2008 10:24 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
talentedone Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Littleton Colorado USA        
Perhaps I may have misunderstood your post, djsgal. In my opinion, they got themselves into trouble. You did not.

Apparently asking the boys to act like the adults they are supposed to be is a waste of time.

As far as revenge, just keep watch as best you are able. Remember, the coach also knows these boys are an issue in the neighborhood. That is a way to protect yourselves.

You cannot allow them to take over your lives. It also appears they have no idea of exactly how loud they are.

Fingers crossed. You did as you should have done. What was the other option...never sleeping again? Not going to happen.

#405730 - Fri Oct 10 2008 11:57 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
Next Saturday I am due to fly out for a week's crafting course in England, returning the following Saturday. The baggage handling/check in company for my airline is going to be striking on both Saturdays.

#405731 - Fri Oct 10 2008 02:01 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
My Rant: What is wrong with people that they don't curb their dogs?! I realize that it's not fun picking up after a dog that has done his business, but if the dog is in a public place where other dogs roam or people walk, it needs to be picked up and thrown away (the poo, not the dog)! When we take the dogs for a walk, we always carry a couple of small plastic bags in order to pick up the mess, whether we are in a well traveled area or not. I'm just sick of people who are so inconsiderate of others.

#405732 - Fri Oct 10 2008 03:18 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
adawaz Offline
Forum Adept

Re ClaraSue I watched a dog owner with dog on lead actually encourage her dog to poop on my lawn. I went out and gave her some doggie bags (they are free and easily available along popular dog walk trails).She uttered not one word so I retreated inside but when I came out later all the bags were blowing down the street. I can only hope that one day she will skid on some poop and break a limb ! Now that would be Karma

#405733 - Sat Oct 11 2008 09:25 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
djsgal Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Springfield Virginia USA     
I also can't stand people who don't pick up after their pets. Very irresponsible!

Thanks for the kind words, talentedone. We had a QUIET night last night and a full night's sleep! Ah... Let's hope it stays this way.

#405734 - Sat Oct 11 2008 05:46 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
Nightmare Offline
Multiloquent

It is amazing that I received an 'extended warranty offer' in the mail for a car that I just bought 7 days ago, and from a company from another state. How is it that with the government cracking down on privacy issues, that a company many states away can see that I just registered a vehicle in my name, and also have the address? I called the company, and of course was connected to a moron. He asked, "Is it a new vehicle"? I said no. He replied with, "It is a used vehicle?". There was a long pause, then I said, "what other category is there"? "Uhhhhhh, good point", he replied. Although I had no intentions of working with a company that had no identification of even a company name on their postcard, I asked him what warranty he had to offer. He replied, "Uhhhh, I'm not sure". I only called so I could get whatever information on the company that I could so I could to turn them into the BBB in their area, my State's DMV, and my State's Attorney General's office. Most of these offers are from some blanket warranty service that really don't do anything for you in your own state. The fine print in these warranties does not cover the vehicle owner in their own state, and makes the owner take their car to another state for the warranty service. How can the government allow these so-called "service companies" to continue this way? Please beware.

Always get everything in writing, and never give a credit card number until you get it, no if's and's or but's. :-)

#405735 - Sat Oct 11 2008 10:45 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
veronikkamarrz Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Carson City
Nevada USA 
I bought my car two years ago, and I get those 'extended warranty is about to expire' notices at least once a week!
My car's warranty is through Chevrolet, but how can you be sure, when it's the real thing? I've looked through my paperwork, but can't see a date that it expires.

#405736 - Sat Oct 11 2008 11:52 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
adawaz Offline
Forum Adept

Warranties !!! I'm afraid If I start I won't be able to stop. Surfice it to say that I am still (7 months later) waiting to get a crack in the side vision mirror casing fixed on a 12 month old car with a 5 year warranty, Trees have died due to the amount of paper used in the correspondence that getting this fixed has generated,supposed to be happening next week but I have heard it all before. I have a Holden so all be warned. Good Luck and patience to all in same situation

#405737 - Mon Oct 13 2008 06:47 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
vendome Offline
Prolific

Loc: Body: PA USA Heart: Paris   
I've got a rant and a half

In 1996 and 1998, I underwent three brain surgeries to attempt to correct an equilibrium/movement problem I've developed. The surgeries were not successful; during the last procedure pacemaker-like devices were implanted in my chest attached to cables (sounds like bridge construction huh?)that travel up to my brain where probes are in place. I've refused to have this crap removed because, frankly, I can't summon up the courage to undergo this gruesome surgery again.

I don't want to be dramatic but I can't stand the thought of being awake with only mild sedation for 9 hours while my brain is probed. Depending where the probes hit may cause seizures, convultions, muscle spasms, broken bones and other horrors.

I've been gone from FunTrivia the last few months because I've developed a series of mysterious infections that have required admission to the hospital for 10 day periods of intense antibiotic intravenous therapy. Several doctors think the infections originate in my brain because of the devices left in there for so long. So be it. I'll take an infection over a brain probe any day.

Now the bouquet -- to Isis, my sweet little Shi T'Zu who is an old man of 10 now. Almost totally blind and deaf now (Jesus, this is pathetic!! A guy with cabling in his brain with a blind, deaf old dog. Jesus!) ANYWAY, Isis (that's the dog) was not doing well at all but seemed to improve the sicker I got. He now navigates the house like a pro and still has me wrapped around his paw.

My minister still visits once a month to give me communion and I go through the ritual with a smile all the while wishing that it as a dry martini straight up and a rumaki instead of the warm grape juice and stale cookie he hands me. Great guy that he is, he thanks the Lord for getting me through the tough surgeries and all. Of course I want to know why the Lord made them necessary in the first place. It was as if God was telling me to hit myself on the head with a hammer 'cause it'll feel so good when I stop.

#405738 - Mon Oct 13 2008 07:12 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Oh Sweet Rich! It is a great joy to see you here again, but hearing that you have been going through such hell is NOT good. I cannot believe how incompetent the medical profession can be. I am sure I'm not the only one who wants to go and kick those quacks in the butt.
So glad you still have your dear dog. I have hardly dared to ask about him, then to hear that he is doing better is great news. Keep dropping in please, dear friend, you were sadly missed.

#405739 - Mon Oct 13 2008 07:33 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
JuniorTheJaws Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South Philadelphia PA USA    
Rich, everything ren said...please keep us posted, you are definitely missed!

Excellent news to hear that Isis is seeming to improve...bless him! Oh yes, I know how it is when they wrap you around their paws...it is the best feeling isn't it?

You have no idea how much you brighten our days!

#405740 - Mon Oct 13 2008 08:30 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
I am echoing all the above, I also didn't like to ask about dear Isis in case the news was bad and that it would cause you more distress.

You were so upset about Isis and his blindness, so worried about he would cope - cope and adapt he did which is wonderful news.

Edited as I got my threads confused - I ought to have posted in the High, Low! Sorry.

Edited by sue943 (Mon Oct 13 2008 06:16 PM)

#405741 - Mon Oct 13 2008 09:25 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
lilyalli Offline
Prolific

Loc: Norfolk UK      
Good for you Sue - sounds like you are really appreciated. However, not all upgrades are good. My gripe - blue headlamps. They blind me and give me a headache. I can ignore the idiots who put their fog lamps on 24/7 'cos they think it 'cool', but blue lights should be consigned to Xmas tree decorations. Some types are illegal, but that does not seem to be enforced. I have almost given up driving at night.

#405742 - Mon Oct 13 2008 10:29 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Oh, lily, you have just touched upon my other rant. Fog lamps on cars and trucks when they obviously aren't needed. Seriously, why do they need fog lights on when it's not foggy out? The majority of the vehicles that have them don't even have them adjusted properly. They're supposed to be shining down onto the fog line on the road in order to see the road when it's foggy out. Instead, they're being used as a second pair of bright lights. The majority of the time the bright lights are less bright than the fog lights! Take it from someone who drives at night across country, it's a nationwide problem and I'm not ashamed to admit that when someone is blinding me with their fog lights, I will put my brights on them in return!

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943