Rules
Terms of Use

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#405743 - Mon Oct 13 2008 10:30 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
agony Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I'm with you, lilyalli. I have to drive on a two lane highway after dark, quite a lot, and the headlamps are terrible. We're entering rut season, too, which means there are deer on the road, and I really don't appreciate being blinded - it's hard enough to avoid them.

#405744 - Mon Oct 13 2008 01:02 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ohio USA         
So good to see you, Rich. I have wanted to message you about Isis and yourself too, but was also afraid I might be stepping into painful territory. That is wonderful news about Isis, but so sorry to hear all you have been through.

I will now pipe up on the blue headlights and using the 'cool foglights' too. I absolutely hate them and I believe they cause more harm than good. I get so paranoid when it is deer mating season here that I do just about anything to avoid driving at night! We have so many of those huge trucks around here, (no idea why, it's not like we are in the mountains) and it is hard enough to negotiate the curves and bends when they hog more than their share of the road, but when you come out of a curve and are blinded -

#405745 - Mon Oct 13 2008 02:08 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
Quiz_Beagle Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Gloucestershire UK
Rich,
Great news about Isis! So pleased you and he are still hanging in there together and I hope your health improves...

#405746 - Mon Oct 13 2008 10:17 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
ecnalubma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia 
Hello, Vendome, it sure is good to have you back. I'm glad that your friend is hanging in there with you, too. Dogs are great friends - they will go to just about any length to make their master's happy, and it sure sounds like this little guy is as dedicated to you as you are to him

On a different note, I too get annoyed by people who refuse to pick up after their dogs. I once had a neighbour who used to encourage their dog to poop on my lawn. My solution? Since we were neighbours, I knew where they lived. I waited until one day when they were due to have a house full of visitors (their regular monthly barbeque), and I collected all of the droppings for a couple of weeks from my front lawn and deposited them on their lawn before the guests arrived. The front lawn could barely be seen for the poop, and they could hardly admit that they encouraged their dog to poop on someone else's lawn to avoid picking it up, now could they?

They got the hint. I don't think it will work on strangers, though, without you 'stalking' them to return the gifts left behind by their pooches. It's so frustrating when people abuse the idea of dog-friendly places by not picking up after their own pooch. No wonder the councils won't put in more of them.

#405747 - Wed Oct 15 2008 05:01 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
It is illegal to use them here unless foggy, and glad to say they are so obvious to all the police are quite good and do stop some when they see them. The fact a row of cars can pass while the drivers are holding a phone, which every other driver can see, seems too much of a chore for the police who simply tend to look straight ahead so they can't get the chance to see them and have to fill out nasty forms. I stayed at a junction recently after seeing a few and counted about 20 in half an hour which seems average for round here. Had I been police I could have easily brought in thousands in fines as it's a fixed penalty but they are too busy charging people who defend themselves against hooligans (we must respect the perpetrator's rights). You can see why I don't post on this thread a lot, there wouldn't be room for anyone else...

#405748 - Wed Oct 15 2008 05:15 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:

It is illegal to use them here unless foggy, and glad to say they are so obvious to all the police are quite good and do stop some when they see them.

That is exactly what gets me, here anyway, the fact that the police do not stop them when they see them. It is a no-brainer if you ask me, especially in light of how many accidents are caused by them and the police are the ones who have to respond. I don't know if cars and trucks in the UK have the *day running headlights* that go on as soon as you start you car and there is no way to turn them off. All the newer models here are required to have them and they are often the blue halogens that are so distracting. Maybe someone can answer that?

#405749 - Thu Oct 16 2008 08:11 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
They're Swedish Sandy, and although a few Swedish models leave them on all day here it's only as they haven't bothered to disconnect that bit as it's not altered automatically when sold abroad. I can see motorbikes a few times further away at junctions if they leave their lights on all day though as they take up so little space they can easily blend in without something clearly standing out. I always kept mine on when I had them but don't think they help on cars.

#405750 - Mon Oct 20 2008 03:43 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
Nightmare Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
Most commericials with me are bs, and only one in about every three years stand out with me. For those of you who haven't seen the new JIF Peanut Butter commercial, it involves the Mother and her two very young boys. She tells them that they will share one slice of bread with JIF on it while she is spreading it on. The younger boy of the two asks, "Will I get half?" The Mother replies, "I don't know, but your brother will slice it". When the older brother slices it, the Mother then asks the younger of the two to pick with half he wants. What a priceless commercial full of many life values.

#405751 - Tue Oct 21 2008 06:12 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
agony Online   content

Administrator

I've been having some trouble with red tape and run-around with my bank, and had pretty well resigned myself to going through with a lengthy, difficult and expensive process, in order to clear up the mess. I went to see my lawyer to get some advice on some technical aspects of this, and - we get used to lawyers being portrayed as moneyhungry leeches, it's easy to forget how useful they really can be. I'd barely explained my problem when he was saying "Oh, no, no, that's unacceptable. We'll find a way around this." He was on the phone to the bank in two minutes, and was getting a much warmer reception from them than I had, let me tell you. Within ten minutes he'd laid out a plan of action for me, with several quick, simple and cheap options I can explore before having to go the difficult route. (By the way, the expensive route would be the one that would make HIM more money). If the phone call doesn't get results in a couple days, he'll write them a letter by the end of the week.

The thing about lawyers - they are people we pay to be on our side, to fight *for us*. It felt so good to have someone more knowledgeable than I am to make the difficult call, write the difficult letter. Worth the hourly fee.

So, rant against the bank. The problem only came up because of their mismanagement of the situation; they have a good portion of my money in their coffers and have had for lo these many years; they have handled my credit for, again, many years and know exactly how good a risk I am, and yet I'm getting this stonewall nonsense over a relatively small amount of money. Bouquet to my lawyer - knight in shining armour for hire.

#405752 - Tue Oct 21 2008 10:38 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
ecnalubma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia 
It's interesting to read the comments about lights on cars - especially during the day.

In Australia, it is against the law in most places to use your fog lights unless, surprise surprise, it's foggy!

A lot of states now ask people to turn on their headlights during the day - for increased visibility.

It depends upon the circumstances that they are being used in, I suppose, as to how effective they are.

On long highways, and in rural and remote areas, having the headlights on during the day can be a blessing. I've seen too many accidents caused by dark-coloured cars essentially blending in with the road surface on straight roads with a few hills during the day - and around dusk and dawn are even worse.

They don't have a lot of use in urban areas, unless it's raining or overcast - in which case I think they should be on for visibility reasons.

#405753 - Wed Oct 22 2008 06:53 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
agony Online   content

Administrator

And light coloured cars blending with the snow - oh wait, you won't see that in Oz...

Daytime running lights are well-documented to save lives. I love having the automatic ones in my current car, as with previous cars I sometimes forgot that I had them on for highway use and ran my battery down by parking and not turning them off.

#405754 - Wed Oct 22 2008 07:17 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:

I can see motorbikes a few times further away at junctions if they leave their lights on all day

Oh, definitely! Motorcycles/bikes always have them on and should. I am very, very careful about looking for them and unfortunately, many people don't think about them even being on the roads. We have just had 3 fatal accidents in the last 2 weeks in daylight hours caused by drivers pulling out in front of them when they were right there. I know I am probably more aware having been a passenger on the back of one for years and all the close calls we had.

#405755 - Wed Oct 22 2008 09:32 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
I always drive with my lights on. Anything which makes people more visible on the road is a good thing. Big rig drivers have traveled with their lights on for years because of safety concerns...it works, especially when people insist on driving and using their cell phones. Those extra glimmers of light up ahead or off to the side might get their attention and save a life or two.

#405756 - Tue Oct 28 2008 01:40 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
agony Online   content

Administrator

Parents.

I've just received the new nutritional guidelines for schools and daycare centres in the province (for those of you who don't know, I cook at a daycare centre). Fairly strict, but on the whole, I'm OK with them - most of what they recommend I've been doing for years. Several times, though, they say things like "Parents have asked that we...." and "Work with parents to improve the...." as if parents are the stern guardians of their children's nutrition, and we need to be kept up to snuff by them. If only that were the reality.

Instead it's kids showing up at 7:15 in the morning with a cookie in one hand and a doughnut in the other. It's mass produced, highly processed, oversweetened "baked goods", and fruit-flavoured punch. I'm trying to revamp my menu to serve brown rice and whole wheat pasta, and most of the kids have never even seen natural white rice (only Minute Rice) or freshly cooked white-flour pasta - they know Alpha-getti, though... and fries, boy do they know fries.

It's like the well meaning souls in the government and the few concerned parents who are pushing through nutritional changes in childcare are living on a whole other planet from most of the parents I see. On the one hand there is an earnest debate on maybe mandating organic produce only, and on the other are families who have *never* eaten a meal cooked from fresh whole ingredients. And I'm sitting in the middle, trying to explain them to each other.

#405757 - Tue Oct 28 2008 04:38 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
djsgal Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Springfield Virginia USA     
Gah, agony, my thoughts are with you trying to deal with "parents" who don't have a clue about taking good care of their kids. I'm sure you have fodder for a rant nearly every day! Hang tough.

#405758 - Wed Nov 12 2008 06:15 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
Nightmare Offline
Multiloquent

Beware! This is the time of the year that companies will come out of the woodwork with their exercise machines and other garbage. Have you ever seen someone in-person exercise to a frazzle while smiling and not sweating, as they depict on TV? These machines are over-priced and you really don't need them, payments or not. You might be motivated in the first month, then lose interest and quit using them, but the payments or money spent is still there. Most people have their garages full of these things and end up selling them at garage sales, losing a ton of money. These machines offer nothing more that you yourself can't do in your own home for exercise, along with a *sensible* diet. You'd be amazed the exercises that you can do on your own, with household items, and keep your money for something more tangible. The same applies to membership to exercise clubs and gyms. What a waste! Also, celebrities look great on commercials when advertising for a weight-loss food company. So? They probably have more access to 'under-the-counter' weight-loss pills than you do, and are provided with special trainers so they can represent the company. Why pay $300 or more per month on these meals that are shipped to you? You can find the same nutritional meals at your grocery store. There are food companies that put out an amazing line of organic "TV Dinner" varieties that will amaze you for taste, with none of the garbage that most TV dinners or "mail order" meals have in them. I am not endorsing the food brand responsible, but have seen this with friends who lost 35lbs slowly and kept if off by eating real food (grocery store items) four times a day with an evening snack, watching calories, and walking one hour in the evenings. There was no 'killer' exercises involved at all.
You can find a lot of these "home exercises" or non-faddish diets by using any search engine. Save your money for things that will show something in the future. :-)
P.S. Please don't ask me the brand or products.

#405759 - Sat Jan 03 2009 06:33 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
Nightmare Offline
Multiloquent

How many times have you reviewed a product on TV? They give you the basic offer, but then give you the hook in your mouth by exclaiming, "Wait, if you order in the next 30 minutes, we'll double your offer free!, you just pay shipping and handling". Then its not free is it? For most items, it would not cost the company more than 75 cents to throw two items in the box, so why do they ask for another $5.95 to $9.95 for shipping and handling? Do you really think that you're getting a good deal? And who is timing the 30 minutes? Just all bunk.
Why don't they just ask one dollar more for their product, then give you the second one free with no strings? Somehow, the marketing experts have determined that most people are idiots with these stupid carrots to make more profit. How is this possible? :-(

#405760 - Sat Jan 03 2009 08:25 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
I am ranting about Canada Post. I am sorry if it upsets people but it must be the worst in the world. Every year for about 8 years now I have carefully packed a parcel for BC and sent it by seamail with more than 6 weeks to spare for Christmas delivery
It has never, never arrived in time. This year I sent it in October. It is still not there. I cannot for the life of me understand why. The post from Hong Kong leaves on the next available ship and there are ships leaving here for Canada every day. The journey cannot be port to port and allowing for itineraries, more than a week.My package to New York, posted on the same day arrived with 10 days to spare. Can anyone explain such extreme inefficiency? I am truly puzzled.

#405761 - Sun Jan 04 2009 12:20 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
BurgGurl Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Virginia USA
Ren, I am not very familiar with Canada Post, but I've had similar experiences when mailing packages to Iraq via US Post. The incident I speak of only just happened to me. I mailed two boxes to the exact same place to two different people; One was my husband, the other his room-mate. I usually have excellent results sending mail to him (mailed six boxes to him the day before Thanksgiving and they ALL arrived the very next Monday - amazing considering there's a holiday and a Sunday in there), but this one really puzzled me because the room-mate's package arrived in less than a week, while my husband's took over three weeks to arrive. I started to panic as I had sent Christmas items that didn't make it in time. What ended up happening was this: because I had insured his box it was routed differently and ended up in a different "holding area" waiting for him to come and sign for it. Prior to this there was another incident where multiple boxes were sent and one of them didn't arrive with the rest because it had been randomly selected to be x-rayed by customs. When it finally did arrive it was marked with a label indicating this, which at least explained the delay. Could your parcels be subject to similar circumstances?

#405762 - Mon Jan 19 2009 09:58 PM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
MomOf2 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Abu Dhabi United Arab Emirates
Having lived in both the US and Canada I can say that the US postal system is really so much more efficient. I was astonished to find my letters within the States were consistently arriving next day. I assumed delivery would be comparable to Canada. It would take at least 3 or maybe 4 times as long here. Dunno why Canada hasn't figured it out.

#405763 - Tue Jan 20 2009 07:16 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
ren33 Offline

Thanks for the messages. I did in fact email Canada Post and they said that my parcels may be held up in Hong Kong Customs! Ah well. Just wait and see I guess. My only consolation is that parcels to about 4 people in different parts of the world didn't yet arrive. They can't
ALL be lost (can they?)

#405764 - Tue Jan 20 2009 07:21 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
I look forward to receiving mine, perhaps I should keep it wrapped until next Christmas.

#405765 - Tue Jan 20 2009 07:26 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
ren33 Offline

Yep maybe
There are 2 for you.

#405766 - Tue Jan 20 2009 07:33 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Quote:

Yep maybe
There are 2 for you.

There is no way two can get lost, one perhaps, but not two. How exciting.

#405767 - Tue Jan 20 2009 08:21 AM Re: Rant of the day, and a bouquet
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Ren, one "Hong Kong" parcel has arrived at my house on Saturday. Thank you so very very very much!
I was just about to write to you about it, sorry I didn't do it sooner but I've been having Internet connection problems at home since Sunday noon and it will last for a few more days [the Internet provider is upgrading their servers, PCs, etc. and we are disconnected for 90% of the day]

I thought the Romanian Post has to be the worst existing but now I see 'things' happen in other parts of the world too. I am not glad about it but it's a wee bit of relief to find out we are not exactly unique.

I found out around Christmas, that our Post sends external mail on Wednesdays mornings only - so if I post anything on a Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning, they will automatically spend 1 week lying around the Post Office. Maybe more weeks, if it's too much mail and they cannot deal with it all for the next/closest Wednesday.
Weird and outrageous but, unfortunately, very true.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943