Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#407176 - Sun Jan 20 2008 04:02 AM This week's theme is 'Ornaments'
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
'Ornaments' is a suggestion from picqero.

#407177 - Sun Jan 20 2008 06:23 AM Re: This week's theme is 'Ornaments'
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

This ornament comes from Thailand. It is made from different coloured drinking straws that are bent, trimmed and painted. Clever stuff I reckon! I stood the straw swan on a black chair to take the photo. Comes in handy for light coloured objects.

Link to larger photo.

#407178 - Sun Jan 20 2008 05:08 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Ornaments'
wigwambam Offline
Participant

Loc: Riverland South Australia
Wow. Did you manage to get that back from Thailand in one piece yourself or did you buy it in the UK?

#407179 - Sun Jan 20 2008 05:19 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Ornaments'
djsgal Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Springfield Virginia USA     
Are we talking Christmas ornaments, hood ornaments, etc? Or just something "ornamental" around the house?

#407180 - Sun Jan 20 2008 05:20 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Ornaments'
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:

Wow. Did you manage to get that back from Thailand in one piece yourself or did you buy it in the UK?

It was brought back from Thailand by our Son and Daughter-in-law. It's not brittle because of what it's made of. That's probably what helped it to survive the trip.

Quote:

Are we talking Christmas ornaments, hood ornaments, etc? Or just something "ornamental" around the house?

Just 'ornaments' was suggested but I think that could include the ones you've mentioned.

Edited by tellywellies (Sun Jan 20 2008 05:27 PM)

#407181 - Mon Jan 21 2008 09:05 AM Re: This week's theme is 'Ornaments'
lilyalli Offline
Prolific

Loc: Norfolk UK      
This little chap (approx 3") sits on top of my kitchen cabinet, along with some other shipmates. I live near water, so I have a bit of a sea theme going on.....

#407182 - Mon Jan 21 2008 11:49 AM Re: This week's theme is 'Ornaments'
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
Quote:

The weekly theme subjects are generally all embracing, and you can use your imagination. Anything which could be termed an 'ornament' should be acceptable.
These guys adorn the bookcase in my office. I once cleaned them in the dishwasher, which unfortunately removed a lot of the paint. They were repainted by my 9 year old grand-daughter

#407183 - Mon Jan 21 2008 08:26 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Ornaments'
wigwambam Offline
Participant

Loc: Riverland South Australia
This is a small carving I brought back from Argentina. The tree in the middle comes out completely and is about 2cm tall. The carving depicts the tree from which the wood was taken, in this case one indigenous to Chile.

#407184 - Tue Jan 22 2008 07:51 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Ornaments'
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Adelaide South Australia    
This is a picture of the shelf of dolphin ornaments I have in my room

Here is a picture of a particularly nice one.

#407185 - Wed Jan 23 2008 04:16 AM Re: This week's theme is 'Ornaments'
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Wigwambam, I love that carving. It is just the sortl of thing I love.
Here is 'Auntie Libby". She isn't really , but she belonged to my Gran who always said "she is the image of your Auntie Libby". So of course that is what she is called.

#407186 - Wed Jan 23 2008 11:35 AM Re: This week's theme is 'Ornaments'
deadlydalton Offline
Explorer

Loc: Ayr Scotland UK
Can anyone stab a guess at the wifes favourite type of ornament?

Another couple.

Edited by deadlydalton (Fri Jan 25 2008 11:42 PM)

#407187 - Wed Jan 23 2008 12:57 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Ornaments'
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ohio USA         
DD, My best friends' 7 year old granddaughter has just started collecting statues and anything she can get her hands on of her favorite animal, the horse. Jenna would absolutely LOVE to have those! The next time she is here, I will go back to this thread and show her your wife's. Sandy

#407188 - Thu Jan 24 2008 12:35 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Ornaments'
djsgal Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Springfield Virginia USA     
Good photos so far!

Here is a sun-catcher window ornament that I have right above my kitchen sink. These wing/heart suncatchers are popular with pilots' wives - I got mine when we were living in Florida.

#407189 - Fri Jan 25 2008 11:25 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Ornaments'
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
I bought these wooden elephants from one of the many strolling vendors who came to Spain from various parts of North Africa each season. I could have bought dozens if I had wanted to, of various different animals, but I wasn't quite so easy to sell to as some of the tourists. Not just tourists, either, as one of my neighbours had an apartment full, some of them as tall as she is!

#407190 - Sat Jan 26 2008 07:22 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Ornaments'
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
Liz, your photo reminds me of my cousin Simon who lives in the Netherlands. He collects elephants and has quite a number of them like yours. He too has an apartment full of them.

As a general rule, I don't care much for ornaments simply because they are require dusting and I like to minimise the amount of housework I am obliged to do! ( ). Ornaments are always referred to as "dust catchers" in our house.

However, I attended an auction recently and bought the cute little cat ornament below simply because I liked it. In fact, I bought two from this series. There were quite a number of similar lots at the auction which had obviously come from a shop that had closed down because the ornaments were still in their boxes and had never been used. They come from a range called "Comic and Curious Cats" by Linda Jane Smith. I was told they were "collectables".

I paid $15 each for them. When I got them home, I discovered the original price tags on the bottom - $195. I have subsequently seen them in gift shops for the same price. So I was quite pleased with my bargain buy.

#407191 - Sat Jan 26 2008 08:27 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Ornaments'
Kapuskasing Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
This ornament was a favor given away at a friend's wedding last year, just a day or two before the end of Chinese New Year. She's from China, he's from Philadelphia, and they met via E-Harmony. Everyone who knew them was worried -- her family thought he was an American con artist; his family thought she was a Chinese scammer. Once she arrived here, just a few weeks before the wedding, all worries were voided! She's a delight, and the two are a cute and warm couple. Plus, she's a terrific cook!

#407192 - Sun Jan 27 2008 04:21 AM Re: This week's theme is 'Ornaments'
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Nice ornaments everyone. A 'not so decorative' theme has been started for the coming week. It's 'Engines'. Let's see how we do with this one.

Moderator:  flopsymopsy