Rules
Terms of Use

Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#408326 - Wed Feb 20 2008 01:51 PM Re: Photo-a-day - February 2008
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
The photo looks OK picqero. Perhaps it is (or was) a PhotoBucket problem. Although sometimes after editing, the page needs refreshing. If that alone doesn't work, hold down the the Control button on the keyboard while the page is refreshing.

I got my new camera today It wasn't the Sony I was going to get. I decided on an Olympus SP-560uz in the end. I haven't had much time to play with it yet but here's something the other camera couldn't have done. It wouldn't have focussed at all. The camera is being held in the hand with 'image stabilization' turned on. Just an experiment.

#408327 - Wed Feb 20 2008 03:23 PM Re: Photo-a-day - February 2008
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
I've just logged back in some hours later, and the Hong Kong stamp image was still large! Tried refreshing the page as suggested by TW above, and lo and behold the image reduced to the standard posting size. Now I'm curious why simply refreshing did this, as I'd logged out of the forums and also out of the internet several hours ago. Shouldn't this have 'refreshed' the page?
Oh yes, Ren are these birds resident in hong Kong?

#408328 - Wed Feb 20 2008 03:25 PM Re: Photo-a-day - February 2008
djsgal Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Springfield Virginia USA     
Ah yes, very good, TW. Looking forward to more images from the new camera.

My daughter turned 11 on Monday, so I brought treats into school for her class on Tuesday. These are called "Cub cakes", since you use cookies and candies to make a paw print on the top. Very yummy.

#408329 - Wed Feb 20 2008 03:33 PM Re: Photo-a-day - February 2008
argus9 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Winnipeg Manitoba Canada   
I'm sure we'll see lots of shots from TW now, I tried every setting on my camera. That's the great thing about digital cameras, you can't waste film.

Here's Hawaii's state flower the yellow Hibiscus.

Homer Simpson

#408330 - Wed Feb 20 2008 04:20 PM Re: Photo-a-day - February 2008
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:

Now I'm curious why simply refreshing did this, as I'd logged out of the forums and also out of the internet several hours ago. Shouldn't this have 'refreshed' the page?

Once the large image has been viewed in the forum page it gets stored in the browser's cache. Even though the image gets subsequently resized, the browser will still display the larger photo that has been downloaded into the cache. A page refresh makes the browser re-download the resized (smaller) image and display this one instead.

However, when this doesn't work it's usually because your ISP uses a cache and the larger image has become stored there. Therefore, when the page is refreshed, the browser will only re-download this image. Holding down the Control key when refreshing the page tells the ISP cache to go and get the latest image from source. The source in this case is the image's location on PhotoBucket. The image from there then gets downloaded and displayed. It replaces the larger image in both the ISP's cache and the browser's cache.

#408331 - Wed Feb 20 2008 05:13 PM Re: Photo-a-day - February 2008
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Birds.
Yes Piquero, all resident here
That set is very nice I think
We have a very great many stamps issued here. Stamp Collecting is big.

#408332 - Wed Feb 20 2008 05:23 PM Re: Photo-a-day - February 2008
ren33 Offline

I uploaded this yestereday and resized today. It seems ok. It is my birthday flars. Still going strong too.

#408333 - Wed Feb 20 2008 05:49 PM Re: Photo-a-day - February 2008
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
This is a Huf Haus, built in pieces to order in Germany and assembled anywhere in the world. They used to start at around £1 million but are near double that now. This one's in Stanmore.

That's interesting, it was huge on preview but I trusted the advice and it came out fine. Hopefully it'll settle down soon.

Edited by satguru (Wed Feb 20 2008 05:50 PM)

#408334 - Wed Feb 20 2008 05:57 PM Re: Photo-a-day - February 2008
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
I have just come back from England and on Tuesday I met up with a couple of former colleagues for lunch which we had at a pub in the New Forest. It was charming to see a drift of snowdrops by the side of the river.

This one is for Sara.

#408335 - Wed Feb 20 2008 08:16 PM Re: Photo-a-day - February 2008
ren33 Offline

Awww that's gorgeous! Thankyou. Welcome back dear old bat We missed you.

#408336 - Wed Feb 20 2008 09:16 PM Re: Photo-a-day - February 2008
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
Argus, I am really enjoying all your Hawaiian photos. I'll be there for a week's holiday in May and I hope I will be seeing these places and things for myself.

#408337 - Wed Feb 20 2008 10:49 PM Re: Photo-a-day - February 2008
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
ClaraSue, I love that windmill!

djsgal, those cookies are very tempting...

Sue, the snowdrops are lovely and remind me of when I was a child. We'd get letters from my aunt and grandmother in England telling us the snowdrops were out, and I couldn't understand how flowers could grow in February with all the snow.

I have been popping out my back door with my camera off and on all evening, keeping an eye on the lunar eclipse. This is about the best shot I got. The reddish colour is actually quite similar to what I was seeing with the naked eye at that time.

#408338 - Wed Feb 20 2008 10:59 PM Re: Photo-a-day - February 2008
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Ach! This photobucket bug seems to be defeating me. I have done everything (resized first, resized on photobucket, refreshed and control/refreshed) and my pic still looks huge to me (though not on photobucket...). Any other ideas? How does it look to everyone else?

Edited to say: Just tried the control/refresh trick again, and it worked. Whew!

Edited by spanishliz (Wed Feb 20 2008 11:01 PM)

#408339 - Thu Feb 21 2008 12:22 AM Re: Photo-a-day - February 2008
ren33 Offline

Quote:

Sue, the snowdrops are lovely and remind me of when I was a child. We'd get letters from my aunt and grandmother in England telling us the snowdrops were out, and I couldn't understand how flowers could grow in February with all the snow.

I do not know why they are my favourites as they always make me cry. When I was born , in February, it snowed and my mum looked out of the window of the Nursing Home and saw snowdrops pushing through the snow. She bought me snowdrops every birthday till she died.

#408340 - Thu Feb 21 2008 01:04 AM Re: Photo-a-day - February 2008
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Well done on capturing the eclipse spanishliz! The 'Control + Refresh' action is maybe worth clarifying. The CTRL key needs pressing first. Keep it held down while the 'Refresh' icon is clicked and until you can see that the page refresh process has started. Then the Control key can be released. Pressing the F5 key is the same as clicking the the Refresh icon. So my own method is to press and hold the CTRL key with one hand and press the F5 key with the other.

If you want a challenge, try doing it with one hand. Thumb on the Ctrl key and forefinger on F5 works.

#408341 - Thu Feb 21 2008 04:50 AM Re: Photo-a-day - February 2008
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South Africa          
Oh Satguru I saw a program on tv about a year ago on the Huf houses. It is fascinating to see how they build them.

djsgal, love the cub cakes!

Thanks for the lunar eclipse photo Liz, I forgot to watch it last night....

#408342 - Thu Feb 21 2008 08:43 AM Re: Photo-a-day - February 2008
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
We have an 'Africa' theme in the dining room, and these animals were bought in Zambia, and are made from malachite.

ps: had to use the refresh technique again to shrink the image!

Edited by picqero (Thu Feb 21 2008 08:47 AM)

#408343 - Thu Feb 21 2008 09:27 AM Re: Photo-a-day - February 2008
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Hello Picqero - Try emptying the browser cache (Temporary Internet Files). Image problems can occur if that gets too full.

Roobarb and Custard ...just good friends.

#408344 - Thu Feb 21 2008 12:01 PM Re: Photo-a-day - February 2008
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
This train has just left Hatch End station (just in the background on the right) and is heading for Watford.

#408345 - Thu Feb 21 2008 03:57 PM Re: Photo-a-day - February 2008
bracklaman Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Wales UK
A week ago my son, son in law and grandson walked our local beach. I was very lucky to catch the colours reflected from the sunshine. Hope you like it

#408346 - Thu Feb 21 2008 05:04 PM Re: Photo-a-day - February 2008
djsgal Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Springfield Virginia USA     
Beautiful photo, bracklaman! Welcome to the photo thread.

This was an early birthday gift from my mom - a duck lamp, which I love. (Thanks, Mom.)

#408347 - Thu Feb 21 2008 06:25 PM Re: Photo-a-day - February 2008
lilyalli Offline
Prolific

Loc: Norfolk UK      
Chance of winning the 'Lucky Ducky' Badge pretty slim, so I caught my own at the fair.

#408348 - Thu Feb 21 2008 09:26 PM Re: Photo-a-day - February 2008
argus9 Offline
Mainstay

Quote:

Argus, I am really enjoying all your Hawaiian photos. I'll be there for a week's holiday in May and I hope I will be seeing these places and things for myself.

How exciting for you MG. I'm sure by then the weather will be much better than we had. It wasn't horrible but it rained a little everyday and the tradewinds were very strong the entire time we were there. I'm glad you're enjoying the photos.

Homer Simpson

#408349 - Thu Feb 21 2008 09:34 PM Re: Photo-a-day - February 2008
argus9 Offline
Mainstay

When we were on Maui we toured the Road to Hana, which is a very scenic drive. Our tour guide stop at a Orchid Grower and we saw some lovely ones. The ones shown here look beautiful but what was really great about them is...they smelled like chocolate. I don't know what they are called but anything that smells that good is okay in my books.

Here is a larger photo

Homer Simpson

#408350 - Thu Feb 21 2008 11:04 PM Re: Photo-a-day - February 2008
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

I was so tempted to climb this snow mountain by the parking lot at Pilates today. I had hours of fun on ones just like it when I was a kid, playing King of the Castle or holding off hordes of bad guys/enemy soldiers/what-have-you. This one had lots of nice levels and nooks and crannies and would have been great fun!

Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  flopsymopsy