Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#408927 - Sun Feb 03 2008 06:07 AM February Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
THE FT TRIVIA ROUNDS

Each day (except Sunday) one of our Trivia Round hosts will post 5 questions that have multiple possible correct answers. Each player should PM his or her answers to the host within the time frame specified (at least 48 hours, but usually more). Each unique correct answer provided (one that was not given by any other player) will receive 10 points, each non-unique correct answer will receive 5 points.

No sign-up or registration is required to play!!! and each player can play as many or as few Rounds as he or she chooses.

Mondays - Gatsby and Bethfay
    Tuesdays - Brandz_mygirl and Denni
    Wednesdays - Gatsby and JaneMarple
    Thursdays - Nakarinna and Srini
    Fridays - Howie and Szabs
    Saturdays - Mugaboo and Cinnam0n

#408928 - Sun Feb 03 2008 06:10 AM Re: February Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

I have this important announcement to make: I replaced myself with Szabs for the Fridays.
It's been a bit difficult for me to deal with both Tuesdays and Fridays on a regular basis, so I thought she'd be a perfect substitute - she's been playing the Rounds like clockwork in the last 6 months and I am sure she'll do the same with hosting.

I apologise if this looks like a 'conspiracy', it is not. Many of us have been having various problems lately and I imagined (my bad, perhaps ) none of the existing hosts would be available or too happy to take on an extra day. Szabs has kindly agreed to help me out with it and, let's face it, we need some "new blood" in here from time to time .

Please welcome her to the roster and address any complaints to me personally, it's not her fault I am such an introvert and don't like to set up conferences and discuss things publicly .

Thank you!

#408929 - Sun Feb 03 2008 11:35 AM Re: February Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
I'm posting early ... just because it's Sunday and I've not got a darned thing better to do .

Round 4 ~ Monday

Seems like, after just a month in, a lot of *important* people have left us in 2008 already. To name just five of 'em...

1. On January 15, Scottish racing cyclist (and multi-champion) Jason MacIntyre collided - while on his bicycle, ironically - with a van on the A82 Road in Fort William in Scotland. His injuries were dealt with swiftly but, sadly, he died while being airlifted to the hospital. He was only 34 years old, leaving behind a wife and young twins. And a legion of fans mourned him, too - many of whom had cheered him at the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester. Please, as we honor this sportsman, tell me a country at those 2002 Commonwealth Games who took home (gold, silver and bronze combined, total) an even number of medals. Thanks.

2. Personal reflections aside (I found it the most annoying attraction at the Florida site), the Walt Disney parks have in them a cherished ride/attraction called "It's A Small World" - full of children from across the world singing that song in various languages. Over. And over. And over . It's a very scenic thing, though and the message it sends is a worthy one indeed. Despite a few pesky oceans, mountains, time zones and language barriers, we're all closer than we might often think we are. Artist/"Imagineer" Joyce Carlson, who died on January 4 at the age of 84, is credited with creating the ride and it can be found in Fantasylands across the world. This time, let's go to Tokyo Disneyland! I'd like to know another permanent amusement ride that can be found there in Fantasyland.

3. After (now) decades of gory/graphic "horror" movies, almost seeing an earthy young schoolteacher in New England being killed by having her eyes (and other significant body parts, one would surmise) pecked out by a flock of unsavory birds in a 1963 movie seems a bit mild to most. It wasn't, though, at the time. Especially when Annie, boasting dark eyes (pre-pecking, of course) and a warm heart with a nurturing spirit, was played by the lovely Suzanne Pleshette in Hitchcock's classic "The Birds". Suzanne died on January 17; she was 70. "The Birds" was originally a tale by Daphne Du Maurier that appeared in a book called "The Apple Tree: A Short Novel and Some Stories", out in 1953. All told, there were 6 works in that collection. Kindly tell me the name of any one of them, OK?

4. Also on January 17, the world lost Robert James "Bobby" Fischer who passed away of kidney failure at the age of 64. Much can be said/speculated about him - he was unique indeed - but he stands as one of the greatest chess players ever known. He was the first (and so far, only) American to win the World Chess Championship, besting former champ Boris Spassky in 1972. This in itself set off a murky course of events ... the game of chess becoming, depending on the source, nothing short of a microcosm of the entire Russian/American "Cold War" ! Psychiatrist/friend Magnús Skúlason was with Fischer when he died and reported that the chess whiz's final words were valid, honest and (ultimately) said nothing referencing the game he played so well. Please tell me ANY one of the words spoken by Bobby Fischer in his last earthly sentence (as per Skúlason).

5. Time can be kind to the landscape it visits, but often brutally harsh, too. Another passionate young man was taken away in January. At a mere 28 years old, Heathcliff Andrew Ledger was found dead in NYC on 1-22-08. Sometimes actors are "popular" for all things besides that which they do - their acting instincts, the value applied to their art of choice, the boundaries they cross as they seek to enlighten can become blurred. To me, Heath Ledger was a master-in-training at his craft and not "minimal" at all, in a creative sense. While he may end up best remembered for playing a tortured cowboy (or a Revolutionary or a knight?) he made a romantic comedy that put him on the map in 1999 called "10 Things I Hate About You" - a modern 'spin' on Shakespeare. It was released by the Touchstone Production Company (an affiliate of Disney). To close, please give me the name of any feature film released in 2005, 2006 or 2007 under the Touchstone banner.

I suppose this'll close up on Thursday night, then. You all have a fantastic week!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Sun Feb 03 2008 11:36 AM)

#408930 - Sun Feb 03 2008 02:04 PM Re: February Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
First of all, Denni, what you did was just fine! We love new hosts, and hosting two rounds a week is HARD to do!

Now, here is Round 2!
Since it is Superbowl weekend here in the States, I decided to make bowls my theme.

1. Name for me any college bowl game. (example: Rose Bowl)

2. Some of my favorite bowls are the Pfaltzgraff Winterberry ones I got for Christmas this year. From Pfaltzgraff's website, please give me a pattern of dinnerware that is a "By Request Closeout" from 2007. There are 12.

3. Bowls is a precision sport played in the UK and elsewhere. Please give me the name of a World Indoor Singles Champion from 1998 to the present.

4. Please give me any venue that has ever hosted the Superbowl.

5. The Hollywood Bowl is a modern amphitheater in Hollywood, California which has been made well-known through television and movies. Please give me any event scheduled to happen at the Hollywood Bowl during this February or March.
This round will close Thursday at noon FT time.
Any questions, just ask! I'll be around!

Edited by cinnam0n (Sun Feb 03 2008 04:15 PM)

#408931 - Tue Feb 05 2008 12:34 PM Re: February Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Round 5 quiz – February

Today’s quiz – Chinese New Year
The first day of the Chinese New Year or the Spring Festival, also known as the Lunar New Year, falls on 7 February this year. 7 and 8 February are official public holidays in Singapore but celebrations usually go on until the 15th day of the Lunar New Year. The Lunar New Year is traditionally a time of feasting and drinking, wishing one another ‘a happy and prosperous New Year’ and visiting relations/friends (or being visited by relations/friends) some of whom are only ever seen then. It’s a noisy busy time. It is also NOT my favourite holiday.

1) 7 February will begin the Year of the Rat, one of the twelve animals in the Chinese Zodiac. If you don’t want to reveal your age, then avoid answering the question as to which animal you are in the Zodiac. It’s very easy to calculate one’s age from that information. Please name any animal, other than the Rat, found in the Chinese Zodaic.

2) Red is the traditional “must” colour to be worn during the Chinese New Year, especially for the little ones. Yes, even little boys may be found dressed in red from head to toe. Red to ward off evil spirits and bad fortune. Wearing black and dark colours is frowned upon by traditionalists unless teamed with a bright cheery colour to compensate. Please give me a shade of red that starts with any of the first 5 letters of the alphabet.

3) Next comes a word that is often associated with spring – Cleaning. Chinese households will ensure that their homes are thoroughly cleaned in the weeks approaching the Chinese New Year. Now, I like a clean house as much as anyone else but my firm belief is the less time spent cleaning the better.From this site , please list any of the 11 steps to getting a clean bathroom in a very short period of time. Does anyone else think it sounds like you have to be a whirlwind of non-stop activity to complete the steps in the stated time?

4) The giving of red packets containing money or ‘hong-baos’ is a Chinese New Year tradition that is very popular with children. The red packets are given to children by those who are married. Just a note that if you are unmarried, you are still entitled to a red packet even if you have long since left your childhood days. The money inside the hong-baos are usually nice new crispy notes or more rarely, shiny new coins. The Chinese will stand in long queues at banks to exchange their old notes for new notes. Polymer bank notes are used by some countries as they have various security features that make counterfeiting difficult. Please name a country with bank notes that are printed on Polymer and these notes are in circulation.

5) There are many superstitions concerning the Chinese New Year. One of them is ‘Buying books is bad luck because the word for "book" is a homonym to the word "lose" ‘. I love books and have never taken an ounce’s notice of this superstition. Please give me any of the 10 best books of 2007 according to the New York Times.

That’s all from me. This round will close on Saturday 9 February midnight FT time.

#408932 - Tue Feb 05 2008 08:27 PM Re: February Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Timaru NZ
If anyone can remember who I am, I will be back for the third Friday.

#408933 - Wed Feb 06 2008 08:06 AM Re: February Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 6 - Wednesday

Hmmm. Well, today is "Wear Red" Day ... somewhere, they tell me. So I thought I'd theme this Round on 'Red'. Whoops. Somebody beat me to it a few days ago . So, what to do in a pinch? Grab the Trivial Pursuit game (again...)...

1. First category of the day? The *ugh!* one (get it out of the way in a hurry, I reckon... even though, as luck would have it, I knew the answer just this once): Sports & Leisure . "What race begins 15 minutes before runners begin The Boston Marathon?" That would be the wheelchair race - and it serves as a perfect opportunity for those less than able-bodied to compete, push their endurance boundaries AND aspire to their own personal bests with the rest of the racers on that invigorating day. Another time the "handicapped" (or, as many of us prefer to deem it/them, "handi-capable") get to shine is at the Special Olympics, of course. To start today, tell me an official sport in the Special Olympics that requires the usage of a ball in the play of it. Any shaped 'ball' will be fine (but pucks ain't balls ).

2. The next card produced what we came to call at our table the 'Forest Gump' category ~ Wild Card! ("box o' chocolates...", and so forth). The question? "What ladies man did Gloria Steinem share the stage with when they entered the Society of Magazine Editors Hall of Fame in 1998?" Another not-so-hard one, or so I thought. But Hugh Hefner (founder of "Playboy" magazine) and feminist Gloria had more than just magazines in common - she did, after all, hop into a 'Bunny' suit at one point, yes? To pick one that might apply to both of them, kindly tell me a finalist OR a winner at the 2007 National Magazine Awards for either the general 'Reporting' -or- general 'Photography ' prize(s). Use the periodicals' names there - no need to cite individual people.

3. Next came the *happy* category (for me, anyway). Especially since it would take, I suspect, a real brain fart to miss this one for most folks? In Arts & Entertainment ~ "Who straightened up the Leaning Tower (of Pisa) in a 1983 movie?" The breezy guess would be Superman, and that breeze would be 100% correct. Christopher Reeve played Clark Kent - and did a grand job of it in a very fun film. Later, Mr. Reeve became a humanitarian of the highest order, after an accident left him paralyzed from the neck down. If I found his acting skills occasionally questionable, there came to pass no question as to the richness of the soul, the dauntless spirit the man himself carried. 'BrainyQuote' website gives 12 memorable statements made by the late Christopher Reeve. Tell me one of them, OK? Note: two of the quotes are essentially repeated over there - so there's really only 10 answers from which to choose.

4. Onward and upward, our next category reveals itself as People and Places - which is unually non-specific enough to jangle the trivial sensibilies. The question is "What Norse explorer introduced Christianity to Greenland around 1000 A.D.?" Harumph. Of the two I could even think of in a hurry, I picked the wrong one . Leif Ericsson, a famous Norse explorer born in Iceland in (approximately) 970, is the fellow they're looking for. Leif is also considered to be the first European to have landed in North America, likely somewhere near the Baffin Islands. Today, this would be in Nunavut - the largest and newest "territory" of Canada. I'm wondering one of the communities in Nunavut whose population increased by more than 10% between 2001 and 2006. Thanks!

5. Today's final random category/question is "What part of the eye may be obscured by cataracts?", found in the deviously avoidable realm of Science & Nature. Whew! Thanks to my Mother having had those, I knew the answer was the lens. Lost beyond that for purposes of this Round, I suddenly thought about that ol' one-eyed giant Cyclops. It really could have been a problem, yes, had he (of all creatures) developed cataracts? How could he have hung out with Odysseus, eaten a few miscellaneous soldiers or ultimately gotten (fatefully) intoxicated in the 'Satyr Play' named after him by Euripedes, if the testy beast couldn't see properly, after all (especially considering his deficiency in that department to begin with)? At any rate ... Could you tell me a Tragedy with a ONE-WORD TITLE written by Euripedes, please? Complete ones as they exist ... no fragmented plays.

This'll be open until Sunday afternoon/evening, OK? Until we meet again, then ....

Edited by Gatsby722 (Wed Feb 06 2008 01:34 PM)

#408934 - Wed Feb 06 2008 03:11 PM Re: February Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 4 will be ending in just over 24 hours....

#408935 - Thu Feb 07 2008 11:29 AM Re: February Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Round 2 is closed, results pending...

#408936 - Thu Feb 07 2008 03:33 PM Re: February Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 4 - Monday
"January 2008 Deaths"
Nine outstanding participants this time ... thank you !

1. Please, as we remember this sportsman, tell me a country at those 2002 Commonwealth Games who took home (gold, silver and bronze combined, total) an even number of medals. Thanks.

For 10 Points:
Bahamas (8 medals), Kenya (16 medals), Scotland (30 medals), Tanzania (2 medals), Uganda (2 medals)
For 5 Points:
England (166 medals) (2), South Africa (46 medals) (2)

The others were Cameroon (12), Canada (118), Cyprus (4), Malaysia (34), Pakistan (8) and Zimbabwe (2).

2. This time, let's go to Tokyo Disneyland! I'd like to know another permanent amusement ride that can be found there in Fantasyland (other than Ms. Carlson's brain-child...).

For 10 Points:
Alice's Tea Party, Snow Whites Adventures
For 5 Points:
Dumbo the Flying Elephant (3), Peter Pan's Flight (2), Pinocchio's Daring Journey (2)

Those not mentioned were Castle Carrousel, Disney Princess Fantasy Faire, Mickey Mouse Revue, The Haunted Mansion and Pooh's Hunny Hunt.

3. "The Birds" was originally a tale by Daphne Du Maurier that appeared in a book called "The Apple Tree: A Short Novel and Some Stories", out in 1953. All tolled, there were 6 works in that collection. Kindly tell me the name of any one of them, OK?

For 10 Points:
"The Birds"; "Kiss Me Again, Stranger"; "The Old Man"
For 5 Points:
"The Apple Tree" (2); "The Little Photographer" (2); "Monte Verità" (2)

That's all of 'em !

4. Please tell me ANY one of the words spoken by Bobby Fischer in his last earthly sentence (according to Skúlason).

The final words: "Nothing eases pain like the touch of a human..."

For 10 Points:
Pain, Like, Touch
For 5 Points:
Nothing (2), Eases (2), Human (2)

5. To close, please give me the name of any feature film released in 2005, 2006 or 2007 under the Touchstone label.

For 10 Points: For Everybody !
Annapolis (2006), Cinderella Man (2005), Dan in Real Life (2007), Flightplan (2005), The Guardian (2006), The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005), Kinky Boots (2005), A Lot Like Love (2005), Shopgirl (2005)

Apocalypto (2006), Casanova (2005), Dark Water (2005), Deja Vu (2006), The Greatest Game Ever Played (2005), The Prestige (2006), Step Up (2006), Stick It (2006) and Wild Hogs (2007) were the other possibilities on that one...

The Results!

50 Points! .... zorba_scank
40 Points! .... bethfay, denni19, Mugaboo
35 Points! .... cinnamOn, nakarinna, szabs
30 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, maninmidohio

Yay! I finally get to give out a perfect score (and hearty, hearty congratulations to zorba_scank for scoring it )! Everyone did a terrific job ~ I appreciate all of you who sent answers in.
I hope the weekend finds you all well and exceptionally happy! 'Til next time, then...

Edited by Gatsby722 (Thu Feb 07 2008 03:35 PM)

#408937 - Thu Feb 07 2008 05:21 PM Re: February Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 8 - Friday

Hi all please bear with me as this is my first attempt at hosting a trivia round. I have chosen the subject of Andalusia as it is the region of Spain that I live in, and would like to share a bit of it with you.

1. Andalusia is the most populous and the second largest, in terms of land area, of the seventeen autonomous communities of Spain. The landscape is as diverse as its culture. From the warm Guadalquivir valley to the low mountain areas and volcanic landscapes such as the Tabernas Desert, the skiing mountains of Sierra Nevada or the shoreline which consists of more than 900kms of coastline. Andalusia is divided into eight provinces or Administrative divisions, could you please name one of them for me.

2. The Province of Malaga, which is where I happen to live in is located on the southern coast of Spain. Its main industry and claim to fame is its tourist resorts, particularly those on the beaches along the Costa del Sol ("Sun Coast"). The province of Malaga is the most densely populated in Andalusia per square km, with 100 different municipalities. Could you give me the name of a municipality in the province of Malaga that begins with the letter M.

3. The Alhambra Palace overlooking the city of Granada, stands out as the most famous example of Moorish architecture in the whole of Spain. The name Alhambra comes from an Arabic root which means "red or crimson castle", Created originally for military purposes, the Alhambra was an "alcazaba" (fortress), an "alcázar" (palace) and a small "medina" (city), all in one. This triple character helps to explain many distinctive features of this breathtaking monument. The Alhambra has inspired many a writer or musician, from this site could you please choose a writer or a composer / musician who has been influenced by the Alhambra.

4. Flamenco is a Spanish musical genre with strong, rhythmic undertones accompanied with a passionate style of dance characterized by its powerful yet graceful execution, as well as its intricate hand and footwork. Although considered part of the culture of Spain in general, flamenco actually originates from one region: Andalusia. There are many different forms and styles of flamenco expression, Flamenco music styles are called palos in Spanish. There are over 50 different palos flamencos.If you would be so kind from this site please choose from either the Toná Palos or the Seguiriya Palos section the name of a rhythm.

5. Andalusia is also famous for it’s Sherry, which is a fortified wine, made in and around the town of Jerez in the province of Cadiz and hence in Spanish it is called "Vino de Jerez". Sherry differs from other wines because of how it is treated after fermentation. Once the fermentation is complete, it is fortified with brandy . Amontillado is perhaps the most famous style of sherry, mentioned in the famous short story by Edgar Allan Poe - "The Cask of Amontillado". After completing this round I think it is time to have a wee drink now , so would you kindly go to this site go to the Products and choose from the Sherry Wines section the one you most like (9 to choose from)

This round will close on Wednesday night FT time. If you have any questions just ask, I will be around Hope all of you have a great weekend, wherever you might be

Edited by szabs (Fri Feb 08 2008 03:31 AM)

#408938 - Thu Feb 07 2008 09:01 PM Re: February Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 7 - Thursday

Today's theme is flying...

1. The Flying Dutchman is a ghost ship that legend decrees will sail the seas forever. Many, many artistic and literary works have been based on this legend, including Richard Wagner's 1843 opera "The Flying Dutchman." Please give me another opera composed by Richard Wagner.

2. "The Flying Nun" was a 1967 sitcom starring Sally Field as a nun who could fly because of her small physical size and large cornette head covering. The series ran for three seasons, and attained popular success (if not critical success). Please select an episode from the first season of "The Flying Nun" that begins with the word 'the.'

3. To 'pass with flying colors' is an expression meaning that not only has one completed his goal, but he's done it easily. Flying Colors is also the name of a California comics superstore. Please visit the Flying Colors website and click on the 'Education' tab. Please choose one of the works listed under 'Graphic Novels that made a difference."

4. The Flying Machine is a small company that has designed, branded, and advertised for several large corporations. Priding itself on its 'open door' policy, the Flying Machine creates both print and motion advertisements. Please select one of the company's clients listed in the print section of the Flying Machine website .

5. A flying buttress is an architectural structure used to support the weight of the building without adding significantly to the weight of the building. Beauvais Cathedral, located in Northern France, is an excellent example of Gothic architecture featuring flying buttresses. Please name another cathedral in France that begins with the letter 'b.'

This round will close at noon FT time on Tuesday. Good luck, everyone!

#408939 - Sat Feb 09 2008 12:02 AM Re: February Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

If anyone else would like to put in your answers, Round 5 will close in 24 hours time.

#408940 - Sat Feb 09 2008 04:36 AM Re: February Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 9 - Saturday 9th February

1. The Film "The Water Horse" opened in Britain yesterday, about someone who gets hold of one of the Loch Ness Monster's eggs. Please give me an Actor or Actress who appeared in the film.
2. "Love Over Scotland" was the most borrowed book from Scottish libraries during 2007. Please name any Children's book my Alexander McCall Smith.
3. Eastside Productions is a company based near Aberdeen. From This list of their clients please extract one of them that's not a TV or any film production company.
4. Name an Airport in Gabon that starts with the letter "M".
5. Round 1 of the Davis Cup has just started, name one of the nations in the World Group.

I'll give a wee bit of aid, to those in distress after fumbling unsuccessfully with these questions, but make sure you asked before noon Thursday (FT time), as that's when this round will close.

#408941 - Sun Feb 10 2008 12:05 AM Re: February Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 5 is closed. Results being sorted and typed out and will be released soonest possible.

#408942 - Sun Feb 10 2008 12:30 AM Re: February Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 5 – February Answers

10 wonderful participants for the “Chinese New Year” round.
KONG XI FA CHAI’ (in Mandarin) or ’KONG HEE FATT CHOY’(in dialect).
Translation: “Happy and Prosperous (Lunar) New Year” to everyone.

1) Please name any animal, other than the Rat, found in the Chinese Zodaic.
For Ten Points: Monkey, Goat or Sheep, Horse, Rabbit, Pig, Snake
For Five Points: Tiger (2), Ox (2)
Not mentioned: Dragon, Rooster, Dog

2) Please give me a shade of red that starts with any of the first 5 letters of the alphabet.
For Ten Points: Cherry, Burgundy, Crimson, Berry, Chestnut, Apple
For Five Points: Alizarin (2), Carmine (2)
Not mentioned: Some further shades are: Amaranth, Cardinal, Cerise, Coral, Dark Pink

3) From this site , please list any of the 11 steps to getting a clean bathroom in a very short period of time.
For Ten Points: Using glass cleaner or vinegar wipe down the mirror, Grab all trash and put in the trash can, Grab your supplies
For Five Points: Put away your supplies (3), Sweep or mop (2), Using a disinfectant wipe wipe down the outside of the toilet (2)
Not mentioned: Grab all dirty clothing and put it in a hamper, Take a disinfectant wipe and wipe down the sink and tub, Using a toilet brush and toilet cleaner briefly brush out the inside of the toilet, Pickup all the items belonging in a another room, Return items that belong to the bathroom to their proper places.

4) Please name a country with bank notes that are printed on Polymer and these notes are in circulation.
For Ten Points: Nigeria, Zambia, Vietnam, Chile, Sri Lanka, Singapore, Romania, Brunei
For Five Points: Papua New Guinea (2)
Not mentioned: Just some of the other countries: Australia, Banglaseh, Malaysia, Indonesia, Mexico, New Zealand

5) Please give me any of the 10 best books of 2007 according to the New York Times.
For Ten Points: Then We Came to the End (Joshua Ferris), The Savage Detectives (Roberto Bolano), The Rest is Noise: Listening to the Twentieth Century (Alex Ross), Man Gone Down (Michael Thomas)
For Five Points: The Nine: Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court (Jeffrey Toobin) (2), Little Heathens: Hard Times and High Spirits on an Iowa Farm During the Great Depression (Mildred Armstrong Kalish) (2), Imperial Life in the Emerald City: Inside Iraq’s Green Zone (Rajiv Chandrasekaran) (2)
Not mentioned: The Ordeal of Elizabeth Marsh: A Woman in World History (Linda Colley), Tree of Smoke (Denis Johnson), Out Stealing Horses (Per Petterson),

RESULTS!

Top Place:
50 points: Mugaboo Mr. Mugaboo has done an excellent job by not only winning this hard fought round but by also doing it with full marks!

Other results:
45 points: Nakarinna & Cinnamon
40 points: Lizard_Wizard & Denni
35 points: Maninmidohio, Gatsby & Szabs
30 points: Zorba_Scank & Srini

Thank you to all of you for playing!

Edited by brandz_mygirl (Sun Feb 10 2008 12:58 AM)

#408943 - Sun Feb 10 2008 07:43 PM Re: February Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 6 - Wednesday
"Trivial Pursuit 2"
Seven sensational players ~ thank you !

1. To start today, tell me an official sport in the Special Olympics that requires the usage of a ball in the play of it. Any shaped 'ball' will be fine (but pucks ain't balls ).

For 10 Points:
Soccer/Football, Team Handball, Tennis
For 5 Points:
Gymnastics (Rhythmic-Ball) (2), Table Tennis (2)

Some others include softball, badminton, basketball, volleyball, bocce and golf.

2. To pick one that might apply to both of them, kindly tell me a finalist OR a winner at the 2007 National Magazine Awards for either the [general] 'Reporting' -or- 'Photography ' prize(s). Use the periodicals' names there - no need to cite individual people.

For 10 Points:
Fortune (Reporting), Martha Stewart Living (Photography), National Geographic (*WINNER* Photography), Time (Reporting), W (Photography)
For 5 Points:
Country Home (Photography) (2)

Those unmentioned are: Esquire (*WINNER* Reporting), Gourmet (Photography), IEEE Spectrum (Reporting) and Rolling Stone (Reporting).

3. 'BrainyQuote' website gives 12 memorable statements made by the late Christopher Reeve. Tell me one of them, OK?

For 10 Points:
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable."; "To be able to feel the lightest touch really is a gift."; "We live in a time when the words impossible and unsolvable are no longer part of the scientific community's vocabulary. Each day we move closer to trials that will not just minimize the symptoms of disease and injury but eliminate them."; "You play the hand you're dealt. I think the game's worthwhile."; "You've got to give more than you take."
For 5 Points:
"Either you decide to stay in the shallow end of the pool or you go out in the ocean." (2)

I'll post the others (just 'cause I think they are quotes 'of merit' ): "Don't give up. Don't lose hope. Don't sell out."; "Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching."; "I am a very lucky guy. I can testify before Congress. I can raise funds. I can raise awareness."; "I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."

4. I'm wondering one of the communities in Nunavut whose population increased by more than 10% between 2001 and 2006. Thanks!

For 10 Points:
Baker Lake (+14.7%), Gjoa Haven (+10.8%), Igloolik (+19.6%), Kugaaruk (+13.7%)
For 5 Points:
Repulse Bay (+22.2%) (3)

Cambridge Bay (+12.8%), Iqaluit (+18.1%), Taloyoak (+12.4%) and Whale Cove (+15.7%) round out the list.

5. Could you tell me a 'Tragedy' written by Euripedes, please? Complete ones as they exist ... no fragmented ones.

For 10 Points:
Andromache, Electra, Ion, Orestes
For 5 Points:
Hippolytus (3),

The rest that'd work are Alcestis, Bacchae, Hecuba, Helen, Heracleidae, Heracles and Medea....

The Results!

45 Points! .... nakarinna, srini701
40 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, denni19, maninmidohio
35 Points! .... Mugaboo, szabs

V-e-r-y close ... but nakarinna and srini701 edged out the competition and "reigned supreme" this time . Congratulations (and a point on the February scoreboard) to them! Mucho gracias to everyone for sending in your answers! Have a pretty darned incredibly cool week ahead, OK?

Edited by Gatsby722 (Sun Feb 10 2008 07:53 PM)

#408944 - Mon Feb 11 2008 11:41 AM Re: February Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 7 will be closing in just over 24 hours...

#408945 - Mon Feb 11 2008 08:18 PM Re: February Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Round 2 Results

I apologize for the lateness of this posting!

1. Name for me any college bowl game. (example: Rose Bowl)

For 10 points - Bowden Bowl, Pacific Life Holiday Bowl, Armed Forces Bowl, Valero Alamo Bowl, Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl, Emerald Bowl

5 points - Orange Bowl (2)

2. Some of my favorite bowls are the Pfaltzgraff Winterberry ones I got for Christmas this year. From Pfaltzgraff's website, please give me a pattern of dinnerware that is a "By Request Closeout" from 2007. There are 12.

For 10 points - Juniper, Heirloom, Garden Party, Midnight Sun, Meadow Lane, Orleans

5 points - Village (2)

3. Bowls is a precision sport played in the UK and elsewhere. Please give me the name of a World Indoor Singles Champion from 1998 to the present.

For 10 points - Tony Allcock, Robert Weale

5 points - Alex Marshall (4), Paul Foster (2)

4. Please give me any venue that has ever hosted the Superbowl.

For 10 points - Raymond James Stadium, the Orange Bowl, LA Coliseum, Georgia Dome, Rose Bowl, Tulane Stadium, Raymond James Stadium, Pontiac Silverdome

10 for everyone!

5. The Hollywood Bowl is a modern amphitheater in Hollywood, California which has been made well-known through television and movies. Please give me any event scheduled to happen at the Hollywood Bowl during this February or March.

For 10 points - Neighborhood Concert - First Baptist Church of Pomona, The Chieftans, A Tribute to Ella, Green Umbrella with Ursula Oppens, USC Thornton Wind Ensemble, Grizzly Bear and the LA Philharmonic, John Pizarelli - "Dear Mr. Sinatra," Janine Jansen plays Tchaikovsky

Outstanding!

Scores-

Our winner, with a perfect score, is brandz_mygirl!

Close behind with "almost" perfect scores, were Mugaboo, nakarinna, zorba_scank, Szabs, and Gatsby.
40 points - maninmidohio
35 points - bethfay

Thanks again to everyone who played in this round!

#408946 - Tue Feb 12 2008 05:12 AM Re: February Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 8 will close in 24 hours, if anyone else would like to submit their answers, they are welcome.

#408947 - Tue Feb 12 2008 08:26 AM Re: February Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

ROUND 12 - Tuesday

When I see all the 'evil' that keeps going on in this world, I get to thinking we've lost all that is 'sacred', so "HOLY" came to mind in an instant .

1. "Sex captive in desert hideaway...young beauty seduced by macho American twice her age." is the (quite un-Holy ) tagline for the 1999 movie "HOLY Smoke". Directed by Jane Campion and starring Kate Winslet and Harvey Keitel as the main characters, the film was nominated for the Golden Lion award at the Venice Film Festival in the same year, but didn't win.
Please choose a film that has won the "Golden Lion" in any year of the 90s.

2. The HOLY Island of Lindisfarne is internationally famous for its medieval religious heritage, for its more recent picturesque 16th century castle as well as for the peace, tranquility and leisurely pace of life in there. I think that it's a place worth visiting.
From HERE, please choose any Cottage/House/Flat in the Self-Catering Accommodation category (On Holy Island only, not near-by or other locations.)

3. "(One Glance is) HOLY" is a song on the album "Earth Moving" by musician Mike Oldfield. His discography is remarkable and he seems to be quite prolific in his personal/family life as well, being married for the third time and having seven children so far .
Please name any of Mike Oldfield's wives or children.

4. HOLY Hill National Shrine of Mary, Help of Christians, a Roman Catholic shrine dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, is located in Erin, Washington County, Wisconsin, USA and it is listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
Please browse through that National Register's lists and find me another building/place located in Washington County, Wisconsin, US.

5. Please come up with a synonym for "HOLY".

This Round will remain open for approx. 4 days. I'll close it on Saturday noon FT time and I'll be around in the meantime if you feel the need to clarify anything related to my question's wording .

#408948 - Tue Feb 12 2008 12:03 PM Re: February Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 7 Results

8 players entered this round…

1. Please give me another opera composed by Richard Wagner.

For 10 points: Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg, Tristan und Isolde, Lohengrin, Die Feen

For 5 points: Das Liebesverbot (2), Tannhäuser (2)

Not mentioned: Die Hochzeit, Rienzi, Das Rheingold, Die Walküre, Siegfried, Götterdämmerung, Parsifal

2. Please select an episode from the first season of "The Flying Nun" that begins with the word 'the.'

For 10 points: "The Flying Nun," "The Fatal Hibiscus," "The Reconversion of Sister Shapiro," "The Patron of Santa Thomasina," "The Dig In," "The Puce Albert"

For 5 points: "The Sister and the Old Salt" (2)

Not mentioned: "The Convert," "The Hot Spell"

3. Please choose one of the works listed under ‘Graphic Novels that made a difference.’

For 10 points: "Sandman: Preludes & Nocturnes," "A Contract with God"

For 5 points: "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns" (2), "Understanding Comics" (2), "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" (2)

Not mentioned: “Maus,” “Bone,” “Watchmen,” “Usagi Yokimbo,” “RanMa 1/2”

4. Please select one of the company's clients listed in the print section of the Flying Machine website.

For 10 points: American Stock, Harley-Davidson, Phaidon, TOMCAR, DOMO, Amnesty

For 5 points: ESPN (2)

Not mentioned: Teva, Callaway Golf, Chelsea Museum, @ ease Spa, and others

5. Please name another cathedral in France that begins with the letter 'b.'

For 10 points: Belley Cathedral, Blois Cathedral, Besançon Cathedral, Bordeaux Cathedral, Béziers Cathedral, Belfort Cathedral, Bazas Cathedral, Bourges Cathedral

For 5 points: none

Not Mentioned: Basse-Terre Cathedral, Bayeux Cathedral, Bayonne Cathedral, Bourg-en-Bresse Cathedral (among others)

Scores:

With 50 points: maninmidohio, zorba_scank
With 45 points: Mugaboo
With 40 points: denni19, szabs
With 35 points: Gatsby722, srini701, brandz_mygirl

Congratulations to maninmidohio and zorba_scank for picking up one trivia point each! Coincidentally, this round’s winners were the first and last players to submit their answers.

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#408949 - Wed Feb 13 2008 03:12 AM Re: February Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 13th February
The round is presented by the Letter "V"

Q1 A boy’s name beginning with V
Q2 A girls name beginning with V
Q3 A profession beginning with V
Q4 A FICTIONAL character with the first name or surname beginning with V
Q5 Any animal beginning with V

This round closes over the weekend

#408950 - Wed Feb 13 2008 12:46 PM Re: February Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 9 - 7 played

1. The Film "The Water Horse" opened in Britain recently, about someone who gets hold of one of the Loch Ness Monster's eggs. Please give me an Actor or Actress who appeared in the film.
For 10 points: Ben Chaplin; Brian Cox; Craig Hall; Ian Harcourt; Bill Johnson
For 5 points: Alex Etel [2]
Not mentioned include: Bruce Allpress; Eddie Campbell; Peter Corrigan; Carl Dixon

2. "Love Over Scotland" was the most borrowed book from Scottish libraries during 2007. Please name any Children's book my Alexander McCall Smith.
For 10 points: Alix and the Tigers; Spaghetti Tangle
For 5 points: The Bubblegum Tree [3]; The Muscle Machine [2]
Not mentioned include: The Five Lost Aunts of Harriet Bean; Chocolate Money Mystery; Teacher Trouble; Akimbo and the Crocodile man

3. Eastside Productions is a company based near Aberdeen. From This list of their clients please extract one of them That's not a TV or any film production company.
For 10 points: ASDA; European Commission; HJS Helicopters; Shell; Videotel
For 5 points: Conoco [2]
Not mentioned: BP; British Airways; Aberdeen Football Club; Cape Industrail Services; Chevron Texaco

4. Name an Airport in Gabon that starts with the letter "M".
For 10 points: Medouneu; Mitzic; Mounana
For 5 points: Moabi [2]; Moanda [2]
Not mentioned: Makokou; Mayumba; Mbigou; Mekambo; Minvoul; Mouila

5. Round 1 of the Davis Cup has just started, name one of the nations in the World Group.
For 10 points: Argentina; Peru; South Korea; Spain; USA
For 5 points: Great Britain [2]
Not mentioned: Austria; Belgium; Czech Rep; France; Germany; Isreal; Romania; Russia; Serbia; Sweden

Scores:
45 points: Maninmidohio
40 points: Brandz_mygirl; Srini701; Szabs; Zorba Scank
35 points: Denni19; Gatsby722

A Classy win by Maninmidohio, who picks up the lone point. Well Played.

#408951 - Wed Feb 13 2008 03:24 PM Re: February Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 8 will be closing in a couple of hours.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002