Terms of Use

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#408952 - Thu Feb 14 2008 05:44 AM Re: February Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 8 – Andalusia Answers

8 Great players participated in this round .

1. Andalucia is divided into eight provinces or Administrative divisions, could you please name one of them for me.
For 10 Points: Jaén , Málaga, Granada, Huelva
For 5 Points: Córdoba (2), Seville(2)

The others were : Almería, Cádiz,

2. Could you give me the name of a municipality in the province of Málaga that begins with the letter M.
For 10 Points: Mollina, Marbella, Malaga
For 5 Points: Moclinejo (2), Macharaviaya (3)

The others were: Manilva, Mijas, Mollina, Monda, Montejaque

3. The Alhambra has inspired many a writer or musician, from this site this site could you please choose a writer or a composer / musician who has been influenced by the Alhambra.
For 10 Points: Tomás Bretón , Manuel de Falla
For 5 Points: Claude Debussy (2), The Tea Party (2), Salman Rushdie (2)

The others were: Washington Irving, Amin Maalouf, Philippa Gregory, Francisco Tárrega, Ruperto Chapí, Ghymes, Loreena McKennitt

4. If you would be so kind from this site please choose from either the Toná Palos or the Seguiriya Palos section the name of a rhythm.
For 10 Points: Livianas
For 5 Points: Tonás (2), Cabales (3), Trilla (2)

The others were: Debla , Martinetes, Carceleras, Saetas, Siguiriyas, Serrana

5. Would you kindly go to this site this site go to the Products and choose from the Sherry Wines section the one you most like (9 to choose from)
For 10 Points: Solera 1847, Gaditano, Alfonso, Croft Original
For 5 Points: Nectar PX(2), Cristina (2)

The others were: Viña AB, Tio Pepe, San Domingo

Scores
With 50 points: Gatsby722
With 40 points: Mugaboo
With 35 points: Nakarina
With 30 points: Denni19, brandz_mygirl, maninmidohio, zorba_scank
With 25 points: srini701

Congratulations to Gatsby722 for scoring a perfect 50 and picking up that one lonely point, and thank you to all the rest who sent answers in, all very well played.

Edited by szabs (Thu Feb 14 2008 05:49 AM)

#408953 - Thu Feb 14 2008 12:35 PM Re: February Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 14 - Thursday

Of course, I had to go with a Valentine's Day theme ...

1. Pope Valentine was a man of Roman descent who served as pope for a mere thirty or forty days in the year 827. Because not much is known about Pope Valentine, and in honor of 'V' day, please tell me a name assumed by five or more popes in the history of the church. (i.e. there have been sixteen Pope Benedicts, nine Pope Bonifaces, etc.)

2. Valentine Wiggin is the name of an important character in Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game" series. These books revolve around a boy (and later, man) named Ender, Valentine's younger brother. Please select one of the nine books in the "Ender's Game" series.

3. "My Funny Valentine" is a well-known song from Rodger's musical "Babes in Arms." Along with a couple of other songs from the musical, "My Funny Valentine" entered into the mainstream, and was performed by artists such as Frank Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald. Please choose any other song from the "Babes in Arms" musical.

4. Valentine is the name of a chain of restaurants located in Quebec. The restaurant got its start by serving its 'famous hot dogs,' and its menu now includes hot dogs, burgers, and a variety of sandwiches. Please visit the company's website and give me the address of a Valentine's location in either the city of Quebec or Montreal.

5. The Saint Valentine's Day Massacre, which took place 79 years ago today, was the product of conflict between two powerful Chicago gangs: one led by Al Capone, the other by Bugs Moran. The general consensus states that Capone's men tricked several of Moran's men into visiting a warehouse. Seven men were killed that day, five of whom were members of Moran's gang (one was a 'groupie' and the other a mechanic). Please give me the name of any of the victims of the massacre.

This round will close Tuesday February 19 at noon FT time. Please let me know if you have any questions. Good luck, everybody!

(edited to clarify question 4...)

Edited by nakarinna (Thu Feb 14 2008 04:20 PM)

#408954 - Sat Feb 16 2008 12:15 PM Re: February Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Round 12 is now closed and I'll come up with the results later today.

#408955 - Sat Feb 16 2008 08:48 PM Re: February Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Round 16

I can't believe that this month is half over already!
Earlier this week the esteemed Westminster Kennel Club held their annual Dog Show at Madison Square Garden in New York. My questions for today will have to do with that competition!

1. All of the dogs are divided into seven groups. Name any of these groups.

2. Since my dog, Maggie, is a West Highland White Terrier, please name any of the Westies that were entered in this year's show.

3. Please give me the name of any hotel that the Kennel Club contracted with for special rates during the show.

4. Name a breed that has won best in show during the last 10 years (1999-2008).

5. Answers to the first four questions may be found at Westminster Kennel Club's website, but for this one look here and tell me one of 2007's most popular breeds.

If you need any help, I'll be around periodically. Have a great Sunday!

This round will close Tuesday at midnight, Funtrivia time.

#408956 - Sun Feb 17 2008 03:26 AM Re: February Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
I'll close round 13 in about 9 hours

#408957 - Sun Feb 17 2008 05:39 AM Re: February Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Results for ROUND 12

7 players felt prepared to approach the ‘Holy’ round – Thank you all for sending your answers.

1. Please choose a film that has won the "Golden Lion" in any year of the 90s.

10 points: “The Story of Qiu Ju” (1992), “Before the Rain” (1994), “Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead” (1990), “Vive L'Amour” (1994), "Not One Less" (1999)

5 points: “Urga” (1991) [2]

Not mentioned: “ Short Cuts” (1991), “Three Colors: Blue” (1993, “Cyclo” (1995), “Michael Collins” (1996), “Fireworks” (1997), “The Way We Laughed” (1998)

2. From HERE, please choose any Cottage/House/Flat in the Self-Catering Accommodation category (On Holy Island only, not near-by or other locations.)

10 points: Skylark Cottage, Seaburn House, Eider Duck Cottage,

5 points: Crossgates Cottage [2], Island House [2]

Not mentioned: Britannia House & Cottage, No.3 Herring Houses, Shalom Cottage, West View and some others

3. Please name any of Mike Oldfield's wives or children.

10 points: Dougal, Sally Cooper (wife), Diana D'Aubigny (wife for a few weeks, no children from this marriage)

5 points: Molly (daughter) [2], Noah [2]

Not mentioned: Luke, Greta (daughter), Jake, Eugene, Anita Hegerland (wife), Fanny Oldfield (wife)

4. HOLY Hill National Shrine of Mary, Help of Christians is located in Erin, Washington County, Wisconsin, USA and is listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
Please browse through the Register’s lists and find me another building/place located in Washington County, Wisconsin, US.

10 points ALL : Ritger Wagonmaking and Blacksmith Shop, Schwartz Ballroom, Kissel Motor Car Industrial District, Jacob Schunk Farmhouse, Washington County "Island" Effigy Mound District, Kissel's Wheelock Addition Historic District, Leander F. Frisby House

5. Please come up with a synonym for "HOLY".

10 points: Enlightened, Glorified, Priestly, Faithful, Undefiled

5 points: Divine [2]

Not mentioned: Blessed, Venerable, Sublime, Pious and there are more

The RESULTS for Round 12 are:

With 45 points: Brandz_mygirl, Nakarinna, Gatsby, Mugaboo

With 40 points: Zorba_Scank

With 35 points: Szabs, Maninmidohio

Congratulations to our 4 winners Brandz_mygirl, Nakarinna, Gatsby, Mugaboo for getting each, one monthly point for February.

#408958 - Sun Feb 17 2008 11:42 AM Re: February Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 13 February results

Q1 A boy’s name beginning with V
For Ten Points
Vladimir, Vincent, Varian, Vikram, Vance, Vasco, Vidor, Vadim,
For Five Points
Ten points to all
Not mentioned:
Victor and more

Q2 A girls name beginning with V
For Ten Points
Valentina, Vanda, Verity, Verona, Vivian, Vanisha, Veronique, Vesna,
For Five Points
Ten points to all
Not mentioned
Victoria, Veronica and more

Q3 A profession beginning with V
For Ten Points
Valuation surveyor, Veterinary technician, Valet, Ventriloquist, Viennese Waltz Instructor, Virologist
For Five Points
volcanologist (2)
Not mentioned
Venetian blind salesman, Valentine card maker, Violinist and more

Q4 A FICTIONAL character with the first name or surname beginning with V
For Ten Points
Vanessa Hart (TV series, "Sunset Beach"), Senator Arnold Vinick (from West Wing), Mason Verger (Hannibal), King Verence (Terry Pratchett's "Wyrd Sisters"), Jean Valjean (Les Miserables), Veronica Chase (from the TV sitcom Veronica's Closet), R. S. Viswaswami - Characters created by the columnist Peter Simple, Valentine Wiggin (from "Ender's Game"),
For Five Points
Ten points to all
Not mentioned
Veruca Salt (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) and more

Q5 Any animal beginning with V
For Ten Points
Viper, Vendace, Violet-eared Waxbill, Volpe Rossa, velociraptor, Ventralis Anthias (a rare breed of aquarium fish), Vicuña, Viscacha
For Five Points
Ten points to all
Not mentioned
Vulture and more

Eight contestants
brandz_mygirl – 50
Gatsby - 50
maninmidohio – 50
Mugaboo – 50
nakarinna – 50
zorba_scank - 50

Denni19 – 45
szabs – 45

Well done to brandz_mygirl, Gatsby, maninmidohio, Mugaboo, nakarinna and zorba_scank

#408959 - Sun Feb 17 2008 06:47 PM Re: February Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 18 ~ Monday

Oh, boy. I'm afraid. I'm very afraid .
Quote:

In 2006, National Condom Week was officially determined in place from February 14 to February 21. Various institutions also celebrate national Condom Day on February 14.

Originally started on the campus of the University of California - Berkeley, the week has grown into an educational event for high schools, colleges, family planning organizations, AIDS groups, sexually transmitted disease awareness groups, pharmacies and condom manufacturers.

Ergo, using it as a theme seemed not only unavoidable. Heck, it almost seems like a 'social responsibility' ...

1. There have been drawings of condoms that date back 3000 years - but one can't really be sure what the purpose of them was. Contraception? Or for other 'ritualistic' purposes altogether? It's especially hard to say because there is a reference made about the mythical Minos using a goat's bladder as a protective measure/condom back then (and "Mr." Minos wasn't even human ). The oldest condoms to actually be found date back to c.1640 and were discovered at the Dudley Castle in England ~ the source of them being animal intestines as well. There is a bit of that castle still standing, its claim to fame now being the zoological gardens surrounding it. These days, one can go to Dudley Castle to enjoy many things - notably their annual "events" (many dealing with ghosts and other spooky/slightly creepy themes). Name for me one of those events, please!

2. The rubber vulcanization process was patented by Charles Goodyear in 1844, and the first rubber condom was produced in 1855. These early rubber condoms were 1-2mm thick, with seams down the sides. Although they were reusable (a rather unsavory thought, if you ask me ), they were also expensive @ app. $5 per dozen in 1860, which translates to about $10 each in today's monetary value. Yikes. The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company was founded in 1898 but, strangely enough, Charles Goodyear had no hands-on involvement in its genesis or development (the fledgeling business was only named in his honor). This time, I'd like to know the name of a President/Ceo of the Goodyear Company who ran the organization from the time it began until today. Thank you veddy much!

3. To the surprise of likely nobody, the condom has its own advertising campaign(s). The manufacturers of them stylize them in hopes of making a profit vending their useful devices, other organizations promote them for purposes involving social responsibility, health awareness and population control. Some condom *jingles*/slogans over time have been: "Don't be silly, protect your willy!" or "When in doubt, shroud your [*ahem* ]!" or "It will be sweeter if you wrap your [*well, never mind...*]!" Lest this get entirely too coarse for a family site, let's just call the bylines "catchy", to say the least? Over on the Advertising Age website they list the Top 10 Slogans Of The Century (which would be the 20th century, presumably). Name one of them. NO prophylactic products made the list, so you're safe ....

4. Condom is a town in the French département of Gers on the Via Podiensis, one of the three major French arms of the European Pilgrimage Route. Considering the more widespread social use (in the English language) of the word condom, it is interesting to note that the town is located on the river Baïse; baise [without that diaeresis hickey] being a not-so-nice French term for a sex act (in French, however, a condom is usually called a préservatif). It shouldn't surprise that the city is home to a museum of famous population-control devices OR that it is a popular target for street sign-stealing tourists. While on that subject , web designer Steve Salcedo (from Indiana) has a site where, among other things, he posted a photo collection of his passion: street signs! On his site, please have a look at the category of "Cluster Street Signs" and tell me a name of one of those streets that DOES NOT have a number in it.

5. All that said, let's close this asking one that can't possibly arch the eyebrows or agitate the sensibilities of anyone. For decades, "Sesame Street" has busied and/or enlightened kids when their parents/teachers are preoccupied with other matters. A mix of engaging puppets, colorful and non-complicated visuals, not a hint of condescension and (of course) music that thrills the young with its lilt and repeat-worthy lyrics have been a cornerstone for modern children world-wide - thanks to big birds, sponsor-like alphabets and endless fun. One popuplar muppet, Ernie, had a most loyal chum on the show - and a completely 'hummable' tune that went with him. So ... please tell me a phrase that immediately follows the words Rubber Ducky in the Sesame Street song "Rubber Ducky" by Jeff Moss ~ which, incidentally, went as high as #16 on the charts in 1970 ... [Note: just for a splash and a giggle, feel free to click *here* !]

And that's it for today .This'll close on Thursday at noon, FT time. Have a great early week, folks!

#408960 - Mon Feb 18 2008 03:24 PM Re: February Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 14 will be closing in a little over 20 hours...

#408961 - Tue Feb 19 2008 12:32 PM Re: February Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 14 Results

7 players entered this round…

1. Please tell me a name assumed by five or more popes in the history of the church.

For 10 points: Clement, Pius, Leo

For 5 points: Innocent (2), Adrian (2)

Not mentioned: Boniface, John, Stephen, Benedict, Gregory, Celestine, Urban, Martin, Nicholas, Sixtus, Paul

2. Please select one of the nine books in the "Ender's Game" series.

For 10 points: "Shadow Puppets," "Shadow of the Hegemon," "Children of the Mind," "Ender's Shadow," "Shadow of the Giant"

For 5 points: "A War of Gifts: An Ender Story" (2)

Not mentioned: "Ender's Game," "Speaker for the Dead," "Xenocide"

3. Please choose any other song from the "Babes in Arms" musical.

For 10 points: "Where or When," "I Wish I Were in Love Again"

For 5 points: "Way Out West" (3), "Light on our Feet" (2)

Not mentioned: "Babes in Arms," "Imagine," "All at Once," "Johnny One Note," "The Lady is a Tramp," "You Are So Fair"

4. Please visit the company's website and give me the address of a Valentine's location in either the city of Quebec or Montreal.

For 10 points: Sainte-Foy / 2860, Chemin des Quatre-Bourgeois (Québec); Centre Simons / 977, rue Ste Catherine O. (Montréal)

For 5 points: Place Fleur de Lys / 552, boul. Hamel O. (Québec) – (3); 341, rue St-Joseph (Québec) – (2)

Not mentioned: 1101, boul. De Maisonneuve E. (Montréal); 4101, rue Ste.-Catherine E. (Montréal); 6415, rue St-Hubert (Montréal); 2045, boul. Père-Lelièvre (Québec); Charlesbourg / 13046, boul. Henri-Bourassa (Québec) and several others

5. Please give me the name of any of the victims of the massacre.

For 10 points: Albert Weinshank, Albert Kachalik, John May

For 5 points: Reinhard Schwimmer (2), Adam Heyer (2)

Not Mentioned: Peter Gusenberg, Frank Gusenberg

Scores:

With 45 points: Gatsby722
With 40 points: Mugaboo
With 35 points: brandz_mygirl, szabs, zorba_scank
With 30 points: maninmidohio, denni19

Congratulations to Gatsby722 for emerging as winner in a fiercely competitive round!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#408962 - Tue Feb 19 2008 08:38 PM Re: February Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Round 19 will be delayed. Have to say sorry to all players. Been busy and tired. Hopefully, the delay will be short...

I've come up with a topic, which is a relief
But haven't been able to come up with any questions yet
There are some ideas floating around though

#408963 - Wed Feb 20 2008 06:46 AM Re: February Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Round 16 is closed - results as soon as I get one clarification!

#408964 - Wed Feb 20 2008 06:47 AM Re: February Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 20 ~ Wednesday

The Fates decided this theme. First, a few days ago I saw the old "Murphy Brown" episode where she'd just given birth and was singing to her newborn (loved that scene ). Then I was watching James Taylor sing one of his standards on a DVD. THEN I saw a new contestant on "American Idol" performing the tune "Beautiful" (and even resembling the classy lady who did that song first). Who else to explore, then, other than...

1. Carole King (nee Carol Klein) was born in 1942 in Brooklyn, New York to a Jewish household, eventually attending James Madison High School there. Early on she developed a strong interest in playing piano and then moved on to singing, forming a vocal quartet called the Co-Sines while in her teens. Over on www.visitbrooklyn.org one can take a virtual tour of many things 'Brooklyn' (it's an actually most interesting section of NYC - a hotbed of people, past and present, who are/were creative and important in many areas of life). It's unlikely to know if any of 'em have been visited by Ms. King, now or before, but please tell me a restaurant that website lists as being a noteworthy eatery in Brooklyn Heights.

2. Now, Smackwater Jack, he bought a shotgun 'cause he was in the mood for a little confrontation. He just a-let it all hang loose; he didn't think about the noose. He couldn't take no more abuse ... so he shot down the congregation ! Carole King's "Tapestry" is, really, one of my all-time favorite albums (one of the few I know of that didn't have even one track on it that I found less-than-lovely). Such a gentle collection, too. But, then, along came "Smackwater Jack". Shootin' people and gettin' himself hanged in a hurry! But *sigh* it's a pretty terrific song, all the same. In a list of notable anthems, it stands alone as a (slight) 'rough' among diamonds. And, don't forget, "You can't talk to a man when he don't wanna understand. No, no, no, no, no!" But, I'll understand when you tell me another song (any type of ditty will do) with the word "Jack" in its title... Looking for song titles there - different versions of the same song will all be considered the same answer...

3. Two very significant years in the life of minstrel Carole King were 1971 and 1987. The former was the year in which she released her Grammy-winning album "Tapestry" (which sat at #1 for 15 weeks AND remained on the charts for a whopping 6+ years), the platter that contained the classics "You've Got A Friend", "It's Too Late" and her version of "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman" - which had already been a hit for Aretha Franklin ... but Carole King wrote it. 1987, then, was the year that she was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame, with her ex-husband/writing collaborator Gerry Goffin. Let's combine those two things, shall we? Tell me the name of a songwriter named to the Songwriters Hall of Fame in the same year that the album "Tapestry" came out.

4. I always find it interesting that SO many performers, even though they appear painlessly at ease on the stage and deliver the goods there with rarely a wrinkle, have a major handicap when facing the rigors of their chosen profession. A great deal of them suffer almost paralyzing topophobia, or 'stage fright'. Carole King has been a victim of this for decades - even now, after nearly 50 years of practice in front of crowds, it still plagues her. While I won't venture a guess if they would help topophobes in any format, there are many books out there aiming to guide them through managing their fear(s). One such project is "In The SpotLight: Overcome Your Fear of Public Speaking and Performing" by Janet E. Esposito. All I ask of you today is to tell me a chapter in that (optimistic) how-to book, OK?

5. The Grammy Awards were especially kind to Carole King in 1972 ~ she picked up Song, Album & Record of the Year trophies. This is one of those times that some websites have it wrong, too. No matter what they say, King wrote "You've Got A Friend" - James Taylor just (beautifully) sang it and won a Grammy for his vocals but NOT for the composition of the song. To close up today's questions, then, I'd like to know a tune (no need to cite the artists who wrote and/or performed it) that was nominated - but failed to win- Song of the Year OR Record of the Year in 1972, the year that "Tapestry" swept the major Grammy Awards. Note: The awards were presented in 1972, the music was released in 1971...

This musical adventure will close up on, I reckon, Sunday? Noon, FT time. Have a very very nice remainder of the week, everyone !

Edited by Gatsby722 (Fri Feb 22 2008 10:30 AM)

#408965 - Wed Feb 20 2008 08:51 AM Re: February Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 19 - February quiz

Today’s quiz – ”HOUSE M.D.”
Another one of my favourite shows! I’ve been spending quite a bit of time re-watching Season 1 episodes the past week. It’s been said many times before, but it’s so true, Hugh Laurie does an amazing American accent (ok, I’m not American but does watching a lot of American movies/tv shows count? ) .

1. Theme music to “House M.D.” is by Massive Attack. Actually there are two different theme music for the show, depending on which country it’s being shown in. Reason given is rights and licensing issues to the song by Massive Attack. Could you please track down the name of the song for the theme music to “House M.D.” by Massive Attack , then track down the album it came from and give me the name of another track from that album.

2. “Dr. Gregory House” rides a motorcycle in the series, a 2005 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol replica. In real life, Hugh is a motorcycle aficionado (has been riding motorcycles for more than 30 years) and owns a 2004 Triumph Bonneville (he described it as ‘an absolute classic’ in an interview) which takes him around L.A. Please give me a Triumph motorcycle model produced from 1990 onwards that starts with the letter ‘T’.

3. “Everybody lies” is a favourite quote of “Dr. House”. Please give me a word of 5-or-more letters that can be made from the letters in “Everybody lies”.

4. The relationship between “Greg House” and his friend and colleague “Dr. James Wilson” has been likened to that between “Sherlock Holmes” and “Dr. Watson”. In fact, the show’s creator, David Shore, has said that the character of “Dr. House” was inspired by “Sherlock Holmes”. Please give me a title that appeared on Conan Doyle’s list of favourite “Sherlock Holmes” stories.

5. “Dr. Wilson” received his undergraduate medical degree from McGill University in Montreal, Canada. From the Dean’s (Faculty of Medicine, McGill University) message, please find a word of 7-or-more letters that appears in the last sentence of the message.

Given that this post is a day late, Round 19 will close on Sunday 24 February at midnight FT time. Apologies once again for my tardiness. Help is always available if anyone wants some.

#408966 - Wed Feb 20 2008 09:19 AM Re: February Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Round 16 Results

1. All of the dogs are divided into seven groups. Name any of these groups.

For 10 points - Herding, Working, Terrier

5 points - Sporting (2), Hound (2)

The others are Toy and Non-Sporting.

2. Since my dog, Maggie, is a West Highland White Terrier, please name any of the Westies that were entered in this year's show.

For 10 points - Ch Scorybrek Sailor Boy, Arbroath's Rosewood Rise n Shine, Ch Balinbrae's Rhythm of the Rain, Ch Lite n Lively's Special Delivery

5 points - The favorite name was Ch. Camerest Bebe Queen of Trouble! (3)

3. Please give me the name of any hotel that the Kennel Club contracted with for special rates during the show.

For 10 points - The Alex, The Hotel Wolcott, Radisson Martinique, Herald Square Hotel, Holiday Inn Express

5 points - New York Helmsley Hotel (2)

4. Name a breed that has won best in show during the last 10 years (1999-2008).

For 10 points - Miniature Poodle, English Springer Spaniel, Bichon Frise, Kerry Blue Terrier, Papillon

5 points - Newfoundland

Also winning during the past 10 years were the Beagle, German Shorthair Pointer, and Bull Terrier.

5. Answers to the first four questions may be found at Westminster Kennel Club's website, but for this one look here and tell me one of 2007's most popular breeds.

For 10 points - Golden Retriever, Dachshund, Poodle

5 points - Beagle (2), Boxer (2)

The other 5 were the Labrador Retriever, Bulldog, Shih Tzu, German Shepherd, and Yorkshire Terrier.

The final scores are as follows....
Our winner, with 45 points - brandz_mygirl
Following close behind with 40 points - Mugaboo, Gatsby, zorba_scank, and nakarinna.
35 points - maninmidohio and szabs

This was a close race to the very end, but brandz_mygirl comes out the victor! Thanks to the 7 players who participated in this round!

#408967 - Thu Feb 21 2008 07:24 AM Re: February Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
... 12 Hours to go for Round 18, friends and neighbors ...

#408968 - Thu Feb 21 2008 04:02 PM Re: February Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 21 - Thursday

Today's theme is Atlantic City (New Jersey)...

1. Atlantic City's largest claim to fame, with the possible exception of its signature boardwalk, is its casino gambling. Although it has always been a resort town, Atlantic City's affiliation with gambling did not arise until 1976 referendum permitting casino gambling in the city was passed by New Jersey in an effort to pull the city out of its post-WWII slump. Please name one of the casino resorts in operation today in Atlantic City.

2. Atlantic City hosted the 1964 Democratic National Convention, where Lyndon B. Johnson and Hubert Humphrey were nominated for President and Vice President of the U.S. The occasion was memorable for two reasons; it was here civil rights leaders Fannie Lou Hamer gave her seminal "I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired" speech. Additionally, Robert Kennedy gave a stirring tribute for the recently assassinated John F. Kennedy. Please follow this link to his speech, and choose any person mentioned by name in the text of the tribute.

3. Although gambling is far and away the biggest 'hobby' of Atlantic City, the city is also home to a professional baseball team: the Atlantic City Surf. The Surf is not associated with Major League Baseball, however, but belongs to the Canadian-American Association of Professional Baseball. Please give me the name of any other team within this association, also known as the Can-Am League, during the 2007 season.

4. The ever-controversial Miss American pageant was traditionally held in Atlantic City until just a couple of years ago. Long-standing criticism of the pageant centers around the idea that the pageant is demeaning to woman and that the importance of beauty is over-estimated. Supporters of the pageant point out that Miss America gives away thousands of dollars' worth of scholarships. Please visit the pageant's website and select a 2007 scholarship winner.

5. Finally, Charles Darrow, inventor of the game Monopoly, used the streets of Atlantic City as inspiration for the properties of his board game. Monopoly has since become the most popular board game of all time, and has been re-produced in many countries and versions. Please select a red or yellow property from either the original American version or the standard English version of the game.

This round will close Tuesday, February 26 at noon FT. Let me know if you run into any problems. Good luck, everyone!

(edited to specify a time for Q3 as the Can-Am League teams have changed significantly in the last few months...)

Edited by nakarinna (Fri Feb 22 2008 10:28 AM)

#408969 - Thu Feb 21 2008 08:47 PM Re: February Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 18 - Monday
"Condom Week"
Seven sensational participants (*thank you!*)

1. These days, one can go to Dudley Castle to enjoy many things - notably their annual "events" (many dealing with ghosts and other spooky/slightly creepy themes). Name for me one of those events, please!

For 10 Points:
Afraid Of Spiders!, Eerie Evenings, Fright Nights, Ghost Tour (evidently not an 'overnight' one), Overnight Ghost Tour
For 5 Points:
Richard Felix Ghost Hunt (2)

The others are Tudor Evening Experience, Paranormal Experience, Monkey Tails, Ghost Supper, Trick Or Treat Walk and Status Quo.

2. This time, I'd like to know the name of a President/Ceo of the Goodyear Company who ran the organization from the time it began until today. Thank you veddy much!

For 10 Points:
G.M. Stadelman (1923-1926), Victor Holt Jr. (1964-1972), Robert E. Mercer (1978-82; CEO ~1983-1988)
For 5 Points:
Charles J. Pilliod (1972-1974; CEO ~ 1974-1982) (2), Robert J. Keegan - (2000-present; CEO ~ 2003-present) (2)

13 more of these chaps to pick from...

3. Over on the Advertising Age website they list the Top 10 Slogans Of The Century (which would be the 20th century, presumably). Name one of them (and feel free to choose from the Honorable Mentions there, too.

For 10 Points: *Everyone gets 10!*
"Diamonds are Forever" (DeBeers); "Just Do It" (Nike); "The Pause that Refreshes" (Coca-Cola); "Tastes Great, Less Filling" (Miller Lite); "Breakfast of Champions" (Wheaties); "Does She ... or Doesn't She?" (Clairol); "When It Rains, It Pours" (Morton Salt)

The other three are/were: "We Try Harder" (Avis); "Good to the Last Drop" (Maxwell House) and "Where's the Beef?" (Wendy's).

4. On his site, please have a look at the signs in the category of "Cluster Street Signs" and tell me a name of one of those streets that DOES NOT have a number in it.

For 10 Points:
Burr Street, Van Buren Street, Willow Avenue
For 5 Points:
Warwick Street (2), Lincoln Avenue (2)

Leaving Delaware Street, Lincoln Place, Wheeling Park, Colorado, McGalliard Road and Montana Street unchosen today.

5. So ... please tell me a phrase that immediately follows the words Rubber Ducky in the Sesame Street song "Rubber Ducky" by Jeff Moss - which, incidentally, went as high as #16 on the Billboard charts in 1970...

For 10 Points:
...I'd like a whole pond of; ...Joy of joys
For 5 Points:
...You're so fine (3); ...I'm awfully fond of you (2)

Rubber Ducky was also told, as he splattered around down there in the tub, "...you're the one" and "...you're my very best friend, it's true!"

50 Points .... szabs - well done !
45 Points .... Mugaboo
40 Points .... denni19, manimidohio
35 Points .... brandz_mygirl, nakarinna
30 Points .... zorba_scank

Yay! Another perfect score ! Congratulations to szabs indeed - it was a very tight race! I appreciate you all for taking part. Great answers all-around.

Edited by Gatsby722 (Sat Feb 23 2008 04:32 AM)

#408970 - Fri Feb 22 2008 03:09 AM Re: February Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 22 Friday

Today's chosen theme is all about ZEBRA

1. The Zebra Pen Corporation in New York is owned by Zebra Co. Ltd., of Tokyo, Japan. Legend has it that Mr. Ishikawa, founder of Zebra Co. Ltd., wanted a company name that would be memorable and also appropriate for their export business to other countries. He took an English/Japanese dictionary and, opening it Japanese style from the back, started with the "Z" words. He stopped at "Zebra". From this site , please go to the Gel Pen section and choose a pen model.

2. No animal has a more distinctive coat than the zebra. Each animal's stripes are as unique as the human fingerprint, no two are exactly alike, and due to their uniqueness the stripes help zebras recognize one another. There are three species of zebras roaming the African plains and each one of them have their own general pattern. From this page please give me the common name of a zebra species from the subgenus:Hippotigris

3. The band ZEBRA was formed in 1975 in New Orleans, this power rock trio is a band of legendary status in two "hometown" areas (Louisiana and Long Island), but were woefully under-appreciated in much of the remaining rock world. In late 1982, Jason Flom signed Zebra to a five-record deal with Atlantic. The self-titled debut, "Zebra", was released on March 25, 1983 and became the fastest selling debut record in Atlantic Records history, selling an amazing 75,000 copies in the first week. From the album The Best of Zebra: In Black and White please give me the name of a song.

4. By Zebra is a book distributor based in Europe that encourages, imports/exports and distributes books about contemporary thought and culture. They distribute books from small and alternative publishers or independent and limited editions usually only available in specialised bookshops all over the world. They usually work closely with the creators and promoters of new ideas whilst also liaising with specialised retailers looking for lesser known avant-garde alternatives with vision and style. From this page Please give me the title of an illustrated story.

5. “Racing Stripes”, is a movie about a baby zebra who accidentally is left behind by a travelling circus, the foal is rescued by a horse farmer, who used to be a champion thoroughbred trainer. The farm borders the Turfway Racetrack, where thoroughbreds compete for horse racing's ultra-prestigious Kentucky Crown. From the first moment the little zebra, named "Stripes", lays eyes on the track, he's hooked, he knows that if he could just get the chance, he could leave all those other horses in the dust. Would you be so kind and give me the name of an Actor or Actress who appeared in the film and had a role – (not just a voice)

Let' say I will be closing this round on Wednesday afternoon FT time. Hope you all enjoy your weekend wherever you are .

#408971 - Sat Feb 23 2008 03:03 AM Re: February Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 23 - - Saturday 23rd February

Samuel Pepys was born on this day in 1633, so what better excuse to have a round dedicated to the gentleman.

1. Samuel Pepys was born in Fleet Street in London. One of the few buildings on Fleet Street to survive the Great Fire of 1666, now houses a museum called the Prince Henry's Room, which includes Pepys exhibition - It's closed at the moment, so we can't go there. The place was built in 1611, on a site once owned the the Knights Hospitallers of the Order of St John of Jerusalem from 1312 until King Henry VIII confiscated the property in 1540. Please give me a Grand Master of the Knights Hospitaller between 1312 and 1540.

2. After finishing at Cambridge university, Pepys went to work for his Cousin, Edward Montagu (Edward's father married Pepys' great aunt Paulina) who went on to become the first Earl of Sandwich (It was the 4th Earl who invented the culinary delicacy). Later if life (1679) Pepys was imprisoned in the Tower of London, when he was falsely accused of leaking naval secrets to the French. If you go to the wharf just out side the Tower, you'll find a branch of the French chain "Paul", where you could but some Sandwiches. Please give me one of the 15 types of sandwiches you could buy at a Paul restaurant in the United Kingdom.

3. In 1666 there was the Fire of London, Pepys rescued some stuff from his house, including his diary, but decided to bury his Parmasan Cheese so it would escape the fire (Although actually his house in Woolwich survived). Name any Italian Cheese.

4. Pepys then joined the Navel board, where he worked with such people as William Penn. One of the jobs he got while working here as on the Tangier committee, in August 1662. Tangier (and Bombay in India) had just become English as part of the dowry of Catherine of Braganza on her marriage to Charles II. Peyps went out there in 1683 to assist with the evacuation of the British colony (valuing vacated land for compensation). Give me the name of one of the artists who are due to perform at the Tangier's Jazz festival. (28 May - June 1 2008)

5. On 4th November 1673 Pepys was elected to parliament (His self financed campaign cost 700 pounds), for Castle Rising. Name any castle located in the county of Norfolk.

Round will close 9am Thursday FT time.

#408972 - Sat Feb 23 2008 08:25 PM Re: February Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Whoops! I reckon it looks like just a bit over twelve hours left for Round 20. Hear ye. Hear ye.

#408973 - Sat Feb 23 2008 11:25 PM Re: February Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 19 will be closing in just over 24 hours.

I'm a little behind in replying to those who have answered. Will get round to it a bitty bit later. First I have to get Gats Round 20 in on time.

#408974 - Sun Feb 24 2008 10:55 AM Re: February Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 20 - Wednesday
"Carole King"
Just six spotlighted players this time (and "God Bless 'Em, Every One!" )

1. Please tell me a restaurant that website (www.visitbrooklyn.org) lists as being a noteworthy eatery in Brooklyn Heights.

For 10 Points:
Armando Ristorante, Eamonn's Irish Bar & Restaurant, Queen Italian Restaurant, Taze,
For 5 Points:
The River Café (2)

The other eateries they picked were Caffé Buon Gusto, Le Petit Marche, Pete's Waterfront Ale House and Shinjuku Japanese Restaurant.

2. But, I'll understand when you tell me another song (any type of ditty will do) with the word "Jack" in its title...

For 10 Points:
Everyone!
"Jack and Diane" (by John Cougar Mellencamp), "Hey Jack Kerouac" (by 10000 Maniacs), "Jack-in-the-Green" (by Jethro Tull), "Jumping Jack Flash" (by The Rolling Stones, and others), "Jack the Ripper" (by LL Cool J), "Jack Was Every Inch A Sailor" (Canadian folksong)

3. Tell me the name of a songwriter named to the Songwriters Hall of Fame in the same year that the album "Tapestry" came out.

For 10 Points:
Dorothy Fields ('Tin Pan Alley' founder /"Annie Get Your Gun"); Rudolf Friml Operettas/"Rose Marie"); Ira Gershwin ("Rhapsody In Blue"/"Porgy And Bess"); E.Y. ("Yip") Harburg ("Over The Rainbow"/"Brother Can You Spare A Dime")
For 5 Points:
Alan Jay Lerner ("My Fair Lady"/"Brigadoon") (2)

Eleven others here, including Burt Bacharach, Leonard Bernstein, Hoagy Carmichael, Duke Ellington and Johnny Mercer (pretty stand-out year at the HOF, yes?)...

4. One such project is "In The SpotLight: Overcome Your Fear of Public Speaking and Performing" by Janet E. Esposito. All I ask of you today is to tell me a chapter in that (optimistic) how-to book, OK?

For 10 Points:
Chapter 2. 'You Are Not Alone', 5. 'Fearing The Fear Itself', 7. 'Creating Beliefs And Self-Talk That Support Us', 8. 'Creating a Calm and Resourceful Body and Mind'
For 5 Points
Chapter 3. 'Kindred Souls' (2)

The remaining chapters are 'Coming Out Of The Closet', 'No Guts, No Glory', 'It's Not About Me', 'Getting to the Source', 'Overcoming Self-Consciousness and Inhibition' and, finally, 'Creating New Possibilities'.

5. To close up today's questions, then, I'd like to know a tune (no need to cite the artists who wrote and/or performed it) that was nominated - but failed to win- Song of the Year OR Record of the Year in 1972, the year that "Tapestry" swept the major Grammy Awards.

*performed by...* indicates a nominee for RECORD of the Year (awarded to producer and performer)
*written by...* indicates a nominee for SONG of the Year (awarded to composer)

For 10 Points:
(I Never Promised You A) Rose Garden (written by Joe South), It's Impossible (written by Sid Wayne & Armando Manzanero), Theme from Shaft (performed by Isaac Hayes), You've Got a Friend (performed by James Taylor)
For 5 Points:
Joy to the World (performed by Three Dog Night) (2)

Three others: Help Me Make It Through the Night (written by Kris Kristofferson), Me and Bobby McGee (also written by Mr. Kristofferson) and My Sweet Lord (performed by George Harrison).

THE RESULTS!

50 Points! .... szabs
45 Points! .... denni19, Mugaboo
40 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, maninmidohio, nakarinna

Yay! That's two perfect scores given (by me, anyway) in a row . And to the very same person, no less. Congratulations to szabs for earning another hard-fought monthly scoreboard point! And thank you, all of you, for tuning in this time. Have a bountiful week ahead!

#408975 - Mon Feb 25 2008 12:40 AM Re: February Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 19 is closed. I'm still sorting through answers, turns out there's more answers than I originally thought when I created the quiz (which is pretty normal in the rounds I have found ). Will post results soonest. Thanks.

#408976 - Mon Feb 25 2008 06:58 AM Re: February Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 19 – February Answers

7 splendiferous (I’m going through dictionary synonyms for “wonderful”) participants for “House M.D.”.

1. Could you please track down the name of the song for the theme music to “House M.D.” by Massive Attack , then track down the album it came from and give me the name of another track from that album.

For Ten Points: Black Milk, Group Four, Dissolved Girl
For Five Points: Angel (2), Man Next Door (2)
Not mentioned: 5 more titles - Risingson, Inertia Creeps, Exchange, Mezzanine, Superpredators

2. Please give me a Triumph motorcycle model produced from 1990 onwards that starts with the letter ‘T’.

For Ten Points: Triumph Legend TT, Tiger 955i, Tiger, Thunderbird Sport 900, Tiger 900
For Five Points: Thruxton 900 (2)
Not mentioned: Just a few of the many more models – Tiger 1050, Thunderbird 900, TT 600, Trident Sprint 900…..

3. Please give me a word of 5-or-more letters that can be made from the letters in “Everybody lies”.

For Ten Points: Disobey, Yodels, Rebels, Revise, Verbids, Servile, Ivory. 10 points all! And very nice words too.
Not mentioned: Some more possible words – Livery, Bodily, Verily, Deliver….

4. Please give me a title that appeared on Conan Doyle’s list of favourite “Sherlock Holmes” stories.

For Ten Points: A Scandal in Bohemia, The Adventure of the Final Problem, The Resident Patient, The Adventure of the Priory School, The Adventure of the Dancing Men, The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans, The Greek Interpreter 10 points all!
The list I used when drafting the question for the round was only up to 1927. After that, Sir Conan Doyle did update his favourites list and added 7 more titles. Thank you to everyone who sent me the link for the second list.

5. From the Dean’s (Faculty of Medicine, McGill University) message, please find a word of 7-or-more letters that appears in the last sentence of the message.

For Ten Points: Brought, McGill’s, Disease, Fundamental, Medicine
For Five Points: Forward (2)
Not mentioned: Respect, History, Faculty, Advancement, Journey
In my question for the Round, I did not specify that the Dean’s message I wanted was from the McGill’s website. There was a bit of confusion resulting. I have therefore accepted an answer that was from another message by a former Dean of the same faculty and University. Sorry.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
50 points: Mugaboo & Gatsby Well done gentlemen!

Other results:
45 points: Maninmidohio, Denni & Nakarinna
40 points: Zorba_Scank
35 points: Szabs

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002