Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#411696 - Sat Mar 01 2008 03:41 PM March Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
THE FT TRIVIA ROUNDS

Each day (except Sunday) one of our Trivia Round hosts will post 5 questions that have multiple possible correct answers. Each player should PM his or her answers to the host within the time frame specified (at least 48 hours, but usually more). Each unique correct answer provided (one that was not given by any other player) will receive 10 points, each non-unique correct answer will receive 5 points.

No sign-up or registration is required to play!!! and each player can play as many or as few Rounds as he or she chooses.

Mondays - Gatsby and Bethfay
Tuesdays - Brandz_mygirl and Denni
Wednesdays - Gatsby and JaneMarple
Thursdays - Nakarinna and Srini
Fridays - Howie and Szabs
Saturdays - Mugaboo and Cinnam0n

I have posted the schedule as it was for February since I know Mada has had a few computer problems lately. If there are any changes to be made, feel free to correct me!

On to the first round!

March 1

1. Please name any actor or actress who was born on March 1.

2. On March 1,1961, President John F. Kennedy established the Peace Corps. Name any director of the Peace Corps since its inception.

3. On March 1, 1974, seven people were indicted for their role in the Watergate break-in and charged with conspiracy to obstruct justice. Name any of them.

4. John Philip Sousa was known as "The March King" because of the abundance of American marches that he composed. Please name one of them.

5. When I think of March, the March family in the classic novel, Little Women, come to mind. My favorite adaptations of the novel were the movies of the same name from 1949 and 1994. Please give me an actress who played a member of the March family from either of the movies.

This round will close on Wednesday at noon FT time.

#411697 - Sun Mar 02 2008 08:16 PM Re: March Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 3 - Monday

It all started out innocently last weekend when I heard something about some old French actress with an interesting name (whom I'd never heard of prior). I looked her up, and then ... some five times more as the week went I kept seeing 'things' about Joan of Arc (or La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc). All over the place ! What else to do, but...

1. Renée Jeanne Falconetti, born in 1892 in Corsica, was the star of the film and, after reading several references, I looked her up and found both a most layered and engaging face and a sketchy mini-biography that was entirely enigmatic and/or fascinating. Her film career was scarce, but her life was devoted to the artform of acting. After her stellar turn as Joan, her sturdy connection to The Comédie-Française (or Théâtre Français), the only state theater in France, lasted until her death in 1946. Please tell me an administrator of The Comédie-Française from the year of Falconetti's death until the present.

2. La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc (1928), directed by Carl Theodor Dreyer, has made any number of 'Top 10' lists for decades. So, let's just pick a list to address today. How about "Sight & Sound" magazine's Top Ten Critics Poll in 1952 - especially since it was that international magazine's first such list -and- one they only assemble once per decade? On that one, the film was in a three-way tie for #7 on a roster of movies directed (in part) by the likes of Erich von Stroheim, Charlie Chaplin and D.W. Griffith. Very prestigious company, yes? Kindly tell me any other film on Sight & Sound's 1952 listing of 'Ten Best', OK?

3. Films have always been mixtures of wizardry. While acting against a blank blue screen and being told what is there (and "reacting" accordingly, 'effects' added later) is impressive today, in the 1920's creating a watchable experience without the use of a voice was equally dazzling. Current computerized animations are akin to effects of strategic lighting a century ago. And the music! Now so immediate, but once so simple, yet vibrant! Now, composers create lavish scores to enhance those silent classics. Today's silent film in question grabbed the attention of Richard Einhorn and he composed "Voices of Light" (1994) to accompany the movie. On the oratorio there are 14 tracks (such as "Voices of Light/II. Victory at Orleans"). Please tell me one of the odd numbered tracks from "Voices of Light" (using the title, not just the number )...

4. Film critic Pauline Kael (who was quite an opinionated writer,and generally left little doubt as to whether she liked a movie OR hated it, decorum in saying so optional ) said of La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc - or, more accurately, Falconetti in it: "...it may be the finest performance ever recorded on film." That's a very subjective appraisal but, she may have been right? At any rate, it was a mighty outstanding portrayal happening up on that screen - no debate seems sensible. Kael passed away on September 3, 2001 and her obituary in the UK newspaper 'The Guardian' (on September 5) was fair and honored her substantially. There were several OSCAR-NOMINATED (or winning) film directors mentioned in that obituary. Please name one of them, if you would.

5. Well, by now it should be no secret that I'm suddenly enthralled with the passion (and the mystery) apparent in Renée Jeanne Falconetti. That's her in my avatar presently [*edited to add that I've changed my avatar, so that ain't Falconetti over there any longer *]. Such a face! What a multitude of shadows and lightning there - and, if anyone knows where I can find one (even though I can't read much French) I'd love to have a look at the biography of her written by her daughter. Out-of-print, though *sigh*. Anyway, this time I'd like you to tell me a woman in ANY facet of the creative arts industry who has the spelling of a bird in her surname as it is written ~ no anagrams.Thank you! Example: Smokey Robinson would work (except that he's not a woman ...).

I reckon this'll stay open until Friday morning. I'll holler several hours before it closes. Have a great week !

Edited by Gatsby722 (Sat Mar 08 2008 05:53 AM)

#411698 - Tue Mar 04 2008 11:11 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Round 4 - March quiz

Today’s quiz – ”PARKER”
I was surfing the net and came across the name ‘Parker’ and thought maybe I could create a quiz out of it, so here goes….

1) A rather famous Parker is “Peter Parker” who also goes by the name “Spider Man”. “Peter Parker” appeared on a list of ‘10 smartest comic books superheroes ever’ by J. Pisani. Please give me another superhero that appears on that list.

2) Another Parker is Parker Stevenson, an actor who was married to Kirstie Alley from 1983 to 1997. He is mostly known for his roles in television. One of the more (dare I say) popular television series he has appeared in is “Baywatch”. Please name a character on “Baywatch” that has appeared in more than 40 episodes. Must have a first and last name.

3) “Aloysius Parker” is a character from “Thunderbirds”, a UK puppet show from the 1960s. The show is about a secret organization “International Rescue” that basically goes around well saving/rescuing people (okay puppets) in danger anywhere in the world or even in outer space. “Parker” serves as chauffeur/butler to “Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward” who is the London agent for the organization. Now more importantly for this question is that “Lady Penelope” owns a pink Rolls Royce. The colour isn’t important but the fact that the Rolls Royce is regarded as an ultra-luxury vehicle is. From this page, please give me the name of a current manufacturer of luxury cars.

4) The Parker Pen Company produces some rather nice pens and has been around since 1891. Please give me the name of a Contemporary or Performance pen by Parker Pen.

5) Sir Gilbert Parker was a Canadian writer born in Ontario. Please give me the name of any of the novels he wrote.

That’s it, am happy to get the 5 questions up. One other thing I need to mention is that I will be closing this round earlier, a whole 12 hours earlier. So Round 4 will close on Saturday 8 March at 12 noon FT time. Hope this will not inconvenience anyone too much, just that I will be busy at the usual closing time and would not have been able to get the results posted timely. Thanks.

#411699 - Wed Mar 05 2008 07:36 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 5 ~ Wednesday

I've been hearing the 'word' constantly for WEEKS. So here it is for you (and a light-hearted description from a random source): ""Superdelegate" is an informal term for some of the delegates to the Democratic National Convention, the quadrennial convention of the United States Democratic Party. These candidates have super powers, like flying. They have secret pins that when touched allow them to do just about anything. They are not affected by kryptonite and Mike Lessick is a moron for believing that Wikipedia is credible. Mr Dodds is awesome... Don't you forget it. )!" There are hundreds of these folks. I just picked a few from the beginning of the alphabet....

1. The first one is Neil A. Abercrombie (born June 26, 1938 in Buffalo, New York). He's an elder statesman of the Democratic Party of Hawaii. We talk about New York a lot so, for now, we'll go fishin' in Hawaii. The state fish there is (I kid you not) the humuhumunukunukuapua'a! Yikes. Many say that the Hawaiian name is one of the longest words in the English Language and that "the name is longer than the fish itself." Sounds about right . Anyway, the word/thing humuhumunukunukuapua'a is actually used in a song, one made famous by Hank Snow in 1933 titled "My Little Grass Shack In Kealakekua, Hawaii". To get us started today, please tell me one of the last individual words that appear in any of the 16 (sometimes 17) lines of that tune. Mahalo !

2. Our next Superdelegate is Aníbal Acevedo Vilá (born February 13, 1962 in San Juan), the Governor of Puerto Rico. OK, no need to get picky and observe that Puerto Rico is not (officially) a US State . They still get to vote there, if they so wish and are eligible to do so. But we won't be talking about the actual place today, anyway. We're going to address 'San Juan', a board game created by Andreas Seyfarth and a product of Rio Grande Games. It was a nominee for the International Gamers Award, 2004 (for games of 2003). Have a look and tell me any other game it was nominated with in the General Strategy/Multi-Player category. Note: Two-Player games won't count since they have their own category...

3. Let's have a look at our next coveted politico, shall we? He'd be Representative Thomas H. (Tom) Allen (b. April 16, 1945 in Portland, Maine). Portland, a beautiful city indeed, is notable for many things but one that stands out is that it was the birthplace of poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow in 1807 (he penned, significanty, "Song of Hiawatha" and "Paul Revere's Ride" ~ among many other pieces). Despite that he grew up in Maine the Longfellow Home, a National Historic Site as per the US National Park Service, is in Cambridge, Massachusetts. How's about you tell me a room that one might walk through on the first floor of the rich-in-history Longfellow Home in Massachusetts?

4. Another alleged Super-Duper Delegate is Kalyn Free (born in Red Oak, Oklahoma), a member of the Choctaw Native American tribe. In 1998, she was the first Native American woman to ever be elected a District Attorney in Oklahoma and is a very powerful (and empowering) spokesperson for American Indians. She sounds like an incredible woman but, then, I think Oklahoma is a pretty cool place. In fact, it's where singer/songwriter/actor Hoyt Axton (1938-1999) was born - Hoyt, incidentally, wrote "Joy to the World", a hit song for the band Three Dog Night in the 1960's, and is a personal favorite of mine. Don't laugh . I've even heard AND liked his LP "...Sings Bessie Smith", released in 1965. Kindly tell me a track off that unusual, but worthwhile, album.

5. And, finally, let's pull the name Brian Norton Baird (born March 7, 1956) out of the hat! He's a U.S. State Representative from Washington (he grew up in New Mexico, however - it seems that very few Americans thrive in the same state they were born in, doesn't it ?). Washington, aside from being the 'birthplace' of "Pictionary" and Starbucks, was also home to the first revolving restaurant ~ which opened in Seattle in 1961. Seeing as that it sits up there in the coastal northwest corner of the USA, so near our northern borders, I'd like to know a revolving restaurant that can be found anywhere in Canada, OK?

We'll put the "delegates" (here, anyway) to bed come Sunday, late afternoon. Have a good today, wherever you are upon reading this !

#411700 - Wed Mar 05 2008 12:19 PM Re: March Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Round 1 is now closed - results to come!

#411701 - Wed Mar 05 2008 02:53 PM Re: March Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Round 1 Results

1. Please name any actor or actress who was born on March 1.

For 10 points - Lana Wood (US), David Niven (UK), Doris Hare (Wales), Carlo Briani (IT), Luke Mably (UK), Tim Daly (US)

5 points - Roger Delgado (UK) - (2)

Other notable actors born on March include Alan Thicke, Catherine Bach, Ron Howard, George Eads, and Mark-Paul Gosselaar.

2. On March 1,1961, President John F. Kennedy established the Peace Corps. Name any director of the Peace Corps since its inception.

For 10 points - Paul Coverdell, Elaine Chao, Ronald A. Tschetter, Jack Vaughn, Mark Schneider, Loret Miller Ruppe

5 points - Carol Bellamy

There were 10 others to choose from.

3. On March 1, 1974, seven people were indicted for their role in the Watergate break-in and charged with conspiracy to obstruct justice. Name any of them.

5 points - HR Haldeman (3), John Erlichman (3), John Mitchell (2)

The other 4 were Charles Colson, Gordon Strachan, Robert Mardian, and Kenneth Parkinson.

4. John Philip Sousa was known as "The March King" because of the abundance of American marches that he composed. Please name one of them.

10 points for all! "Corcoran Cadets," "The Pride of the Wolverines," "Esprit de Corps," "Invincible Eagle," "Fairest of the Fair," "El Capitan," "Hands Across the Sea," "The Free Lance March"

5. When I think of March, the March family in the classic novel, Little Women, come to mind. My favorite adaptations of the novel were the movies of the same name from 1949 and 1994. Please give me an actress who played a member of the March family from either of the movies.

For 10 points- Mary Astor, Smantha Mathis

5 points- Claire Danes (2), June Allyson (2), Margaret O'Brien (2)

Scores

We have "co-winners" for this round, with 45 points each - brandz_mygirl and nakarinna!
40 points - Gatsby722, zorba_scank, denni
35 points - szabs, maninmidohio
30 points - Mugaboo

Thanks to all who participated!

#411702 - Thu Mar 06 2008 10:32 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
24 hours (and not one second more ) to go for ROUND 3...

#411703 - Thu Mar 06 2008 02:10 PM Re: March Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 6 - Thursday

Today's theme is silk...

1. François Girard directed a 2007 movie titled "Silk." "Silk" follows the story of a married silkworm merchant/smuggler (played by Michael Pitt) who journeys to Japan to replenish his silkworm supply and falls in love with a local baron's concubine. Please name another movie Michael Pitt starred in between 2000 and 2007.

2. Aerial silks are a variety of acrobatic apparati involving suspended cloth. One or more flyers use the hanging silk to wrap, suspend, and drop themselves. From the following website on aerial arts, please name another aerial apparatus (labeled 3.1 - 3.11; no individual trapeze types).

3. Silk is a widely-distributed U.S. brand of soymilk. Silk offers a variety of soy products to customers who choose soy over milk for reasons such as lactose intolerance, preferred taste, and health purposes. Please go to the Silk Soymilk website and have a look at their products. Please choose one of the listed flavors in which Silk Live! Soy Yogurt is available.

4. "Silk Stockings" is a Cole Porter musical following the decisions of Soviet envoy Nina Yaschenko. The plot is loosely based on Melchior Lengyel's story "Ninotchka," and the musical spawned a 1957 film starring Fred Astaire and Cyd Charisse. Please give me the name of a song from the musical (no reprises, please).

5. The Silk Road is a series of trade routes linking the Far East with the Mediterranean. Established in 114 BC by the Han Dynasty of China, the Silk Road aided in the development and modernization of the civilizations it connected. Please follow this link and select a country lying along the Silk Road trade routes, according to the Silk Road Society.

This round will close on Tuesday, March 11 at noon FT. Please PM me with any questions. Good luck, everyone!

#411704 - Fri Mar 07 2008 10:28 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 3 - Monday
"Joan of Arc"/Falconetti
Eight dee-lightful participants (*thank you!*)

1. Please tell me an administrator of The Comédie-Française from the year of Falconetti's death until the present.

For 10 Points:
Pierre-Aimé Touchard (1947-1953), Jacques Toja (1979-1983), Claude Winter (1988), Muriel Mayette (2006-present)
For 5 Points:
Pierre Descaves (1953-1959) (2), Antoine Vitez (1988-1990) (2)

10 more of these folks to have picked from there....

2. Kindly tell me any other film on Sight & Sound's 1952 listing of 'Ten Best', OK?

For 10 Points:
"Bicycle Thieves" (1948, #1);"City Lights" (1931, #2 [TIE]) "Louisiana Story" (1948, #5 [TIE])
For 5 Points:
"The Gold Rush" (1925, #2 [TIE]) (2), "Le Jour Se Lève" (1939, #7 [TIE]) (3)

Others on the list (in order of placement) were: "Battleship Potemkin" (1925), "Intolerance" (1916), "Greed" (1924), "Brief Encounter" (1945) -and- "La Règle du Jeu" (1939).

3. Please tell me one of the odd numbered tracks from "Victory of Light" (using the title, not just the number )...

For 10 Points:
"I. Exclamavit", "VII. Illness", "XI. Aruma"
For 5 Points:
"V. Pater Noster" (2), "IX. Abjuration" (3)

Leaving "III. Interrogation" as the only one not mentioned above.

4. There were several OSCAR-NOMINATED (or winning) film directors mentioned in that obituary. Please name one of them, if you would.

For 10 Points:
Robert Altman, Clint Eastwood, Herman J. Mankiewicz*, Steven Spielberg,
For 5 Points:
Bernardo Bertolucci (2), Orson Welles (2)

Warren Beatty, Woody Allen, Stanley Kubrick, Francis Ford Coppola and Peter Bogdanovich were the others named in the obituary.

*...Mankiewicz was never "officially" a director, despite his insistence that he was one and most other peoples' instincts that he thought he was better/more useful than a director and the summation by most directors on his movies that he was not only acting as a director, but also as God Almighty (with attitude) descended from On High most days. He DID win an Oscar, though ~ so I accepted the (on-the-fence) answer. To note: accepting it did not change the scoreboard in any significant way...

5. Anyway, this time I'd like you to tell me a woman in ANY facet of the creative arts industry who has the spelling of a bird in her surname as it is written ~ no anagrams.Thank you!

For 10 Points:
Catherine AllÉGRET (French Actress - "La Môme", etc. ... also Simone Signoret's daughter ), Cindy BROOKs (Vocalist/Voiceover artist), Rita DOVE (US Poet Laureate), Beth FOWLer (Broadway Actress - "The Boy from Oz", "Beauty and the Beast", etc.), Carol LaWRENce (Musical Theater/Film/TV Actress), Frances RUFFelle (UK Musical Theatre Actress - "Les Misérables", "Chicago", etc.), Pamela StepHENson (Australia/New Zealand Actress/Comedienne), Charlize THERON (Oscar-Winning Actress, "Monster", etc.)

The Results!

45 Points! ... cinnamOn, szabs
40 Points! ... brandz_mygirl, denni19, zorba_scank
35 Points! ... Mugaboo, nakarinna
30 Points! ... maninmidohio

Very close race, once again and as usual ! Well done to everyone ... and an *enthusiastic round o' applause* to cinnamOn and szabs for adding another point to their monthly tallies! Thanks, everybody, for playing.

#411705 - Sat Mar 08 2008 01:04 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 4 "Parker" quiz will close in 11 hours time. Answers have been received from the usual suspects. Anyone else who wants to play still has plenty of time to do so.

#411706 - Sat Mar 08 2008 04:00 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 8 - - Saturday 8th March

Very much a round the world tour today.

1. The BBC are currently showing a program called "Around the World in 80 Gardens". Give me any garden visited in either Australia or New Zealand
2. Name any Train Ferry still in operation.
3. A translation from the local Bantu language of Gogo translates the Tanzanian Capital of Dodoma as "It has sunk". It was founded at the same time as the railway was built through there. Accourding to the Tanzania Tourist board, please give me one of the top ten destinations in Tanzania.
4. I'll take you to Taiwan for our next question. Please name me one of the 20 Scenic spots in the Taroko National Park
5. Finally to Mexico.Name a film directed by Salvador Toscano before 1900.

Please shout if you need any links, round will close Thursday noon (FT time).

#411707 - Sat Mar 08 2008 12:01 PM Re: March Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 4 is now closed. Results to be announced very shortly.

#411708 - Sat Mar 08 2008 12:02 PM Re: March Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 4 – March Answers

8 groovy participants for “PARKER”.

1) “Peter Parker” appeared on a list of ‘10 smartest comic books superheroes ever’ by J. Pisani. Please give me another superhero that appears on that list.
For Ten Points: Ray Palmer (Atom), Hank McCoy (Beast), Barbara Gordon (Oracle), Bruce Wayne (Batman), Reed Richards (Mr Fantastic)
For Five Points: Bruce Banner (Hulk) (3)
Not mentioned: Tony Stark (Iron Man), Henry Pym (Yellowjacket), Charles Xavier (Professor X)

2) Please name a character on “Baywatch” that has appeared in more than 40 episodes. Must have a first and last name.
For Ten Points: Cody Madison, Caroline Holden, Eddie Kramer, Mitch Buchannon
For Five Points: Stephanie Holden (2), Jessie Owens (2)
Not mentioned: Hobie Buchannon, C.J. Parker, Mike Newman, Matt Brody, Jim Barnett, Shauni McClain, Don Thorpe, Garner Ellerbee

3) From this page, please give me the name of a current manufacturer of luxury cars.
For Ten Points: Maybach, Lamborghini, BMW, Acura
For Five Points: Mercury (2), Bugatti (2)
Not mentioned: The list has 24 more names.

4) Please give me the name of a Contemporary or Performance pen by Parker Pen.
For Ten Points: Parker I.M.
For Five Points: Latitude (3), Esprit (2), Frontier (2)
Not mentioned: Executive, Urban, Jotter, Vector

5) Sir Gilbert Parker was a Canadian writer born in Ontario. Please give me the name of any of the novels he wrote.
For Ten Points: The Seats of the Mighty, The Trail of the Sword, The Pomp of the Lavilettes, The Right of Way, Pierre and his People, Carnac’s Folly
For Five Points: When Valmond Came to Pontiac (2)
Not mentioned: Mrs Falchion, An Adventurer of Icy North, The Lane that has no Turning, The Battle of the Strong, etc…..

RESULTS!

Top Place:
45 points: Cinnamon Well done !

Other results:
40 points: Denni, Zorba_Scank & Szabs
35 points: Maninmidohio, Gatsby & Mugaboo
30 points: Nakarinna

#411709 - Sat Mar 08 2008 04:47 PM Re: March Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 5 will close in 12 hours, OK?

#411710 - Sun Mar 09 2008 03:45 PM Re: March Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 5 - Wednesday
"Superdelegates" (etc.)
Eight awesome participants (*thank you!*)

1. To get us started today, please tell me one of the last individual words that appear in any of the 16 (sometimes 17) lines of that tune. Mahalo !

For 10 Points:
Ago, Boy, By, Kona, Poi, Shack
For 5 Points:
Welakahao (2)

The words 'Hawaii', 'Honaunau' and 'Sirree' would've worked, too - among others as the text is formatted different ways on different pages/sites .

2. Have a look and tell me any other game it was nominated with in the General Strategy/Multi-Player category. Note: Two-Player games won't count since they have their own category...

For 10 Points:
Attika, Funkenschlag/Power Grid, Goa, Santiago, Tahuantinsuyu, Ticket To Ride
For 5 Points:
Maharaja (2)

The other nominated games were Einfach Genial, Finstere Flure, St. Petersburg, Hansa, Industria -and- Princes of the Renaissance.

3. How's about you tell me a room that one might walk through on the first floor of the rich-in-history Longfellow Home in Massachusetts?

For 10 Points:
Dining Room, Entry Hall, Parlor Anteroom, Study
For 5 Points:
Kitchen (2), Pantry (2)

Library, Blue Entry, Parlor, Back Hall and Laundry were the others.

4. LP "Hoyt Axton Sings Bessie Smith", released in 1965. Kindly tell me a track off that unusual, but worthwhile, album.

For 10 Points:
J.C. Holmes Blues, Long Old Road, Nobody Knows When You're Down & Out, You've Been A Good Ole Wagon
For 5 Points:
Me And My Gin (4)

"Poor Man's Blues", "Jailhouse Blues", "Black Mountain", "Send Me To The Electric Chair", "After You've Gone" and "Blue Spirit Blues" could have been given a listen to as well, courtesy of ol' Hoyt.

5. I'd like to know a revolving restaurant that can be found anywhere in Canada, OK?

For 10 Points:
Cloud 9 Restaurant at the Empire Landmark Hotel, Vancouver, British Columbia; L'Astral, on the top of the Loews Hotel le Concorde Quebec City, Quebec; Panorama Dining Room, at the top of the Calgary Tower, Calgary, Alberta; Vistas Revolving Restaurant & Bar, on top of Renaissance Vancouver Hotel
For 5 Points:
360, CN Tower, Toronto, Ontario (2); The Merlot, on top of the Ottawa Marriott, Ottawa, Ontario (2)

The remaining 'spinners' are/were: La Ronde, The Royal Crown Revolving Restaurant, Skylon Tower, Top of Vancouver -and- Harbourside.

The Results!

50 Points! .... nakarinna
45 Points! .... cinnamOn, denni19
40 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, maninmidohio, szabs
35 Points! .... zorba_scank
30 Points! .... Mugaboo

*Yay!* Congratulations to nakarinna on nailing a perfect score in a very tight race! Thanks, everyone, for playing! And have a safe and purposeful week ahead, OK?

Edited by Gatsby722 (Sun Mar 09 2008 03:47 PM)

#411711 - Mon Mar 10 2008 11:11 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 6 will be closing in just under 24 hours. There's still plenty of room for more players!

#411712 - Mon Mar 10 2008 06:55 PM Re: March Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
A bit early, I know, but it's Tuesday where I am so here is...

ROUND 11 - Tuesday

One of my very favourite artists, Leonard Cohen, occupied my mind a lot over the last few days so the following questions are (somehow) related to him.

1. Born in 1934, on September 21, Mister Cohen is, astrologically speaking, a Virgo (which explains why I like him, his voice and his art so much - we are both Earth signs ). But as the first and the last 3 days of every astrological sign are considered a cusp, our man is in fact a Virgo/Libra.
From HERE please give me any of the attributes/characteristics of a Virgo/Libra person.

2. As of yesterday - March 10, 2008 - Leonard Cohen is an official inductee into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the "Performers" category.
Name another performer in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, whose surname begins with the letter "C". [No bands' names please, but do have a look at the members of the bands listed in there]

3. I've always had a hard time deciding which of Cohen's songs I love most as they are all so amazingly touching, beautiful and wisely worded. "Tower of Song" is definitely in my 'Top 10' list, so I will ask you to...
Please give me any line/verse from "Tower of Song" that starts with "I" - as a pronoun, not a letter .

4. Among the various titles, honours and awards gathered by Leonard Cohen, there's one that he won two years in a row, for "Male Vocalist of the Year" in 1993 and for "Songwriter of the Year" in 1994. The award in question is the Juno Award.
Did I say "Juno"? I LOVE that movie !
Kindly find me a character from the 2007 movie "Juno", who has both a first and a last name.

5. To round this up, let's mention Leonard Cohen the writer. His novel "Beautiful Losers" is considered a Canadian literature classic and proved to have drawn readers from all over the world. It was first published in 1966 by McClelland and Stewart and then many more editions followed.
From THIS PAGE please give me the name of a (one) person who translated "Beautiful Losers" in any foreign language between 1998 and 2005.

This round will close on Saturday noon, FT time, and until then I'll be around to clarify any foggy spots in my questions.

#411713 - Tue Mar 11 2008 11:26 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 6 Results

8 players entered this round…

1. Please name another movie Michael Pitt starred in between 2000 and 2007.

For 10 points: "Hedwig and the Angry Itch" (2001), "The Hawk Is Dying" (2006), "The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things" (2004), "The Village" (2004), "The Yellow Bird" (2001), "Finding Forrester (2000)

For 5 points: "Rhinoceros Eyes" (2003) - (2)

Not mentioned: "Funny Games" (2007), "Delirious" (2006), "Perfect Partner (2005), and others

2. From the following website on aerial arts, please name another aerial apparatus.

For 10 points: Corde Lisse, Spanish Web, Aerial Hoop

For 5 points: Cloud Swing (3), Russian Swing (2)

Not mentioned: Cradle, Hair Hand, Shoot-Through Ladder, Straps, Trapeze

3. Please choose one of the listed flavors in which Silk Live! Soy Yogurt is available.

For 10 points: Plain, Peach, Vanilla, Key Lime

For 5 points: Black Cherry (2), Banana-Strawberry (2)

Not mentioned: Blueberry, Raspberry, Strawberry

4. Please give me the name of a song from the musical (no reprises, please).

For 10 points: "As On Through the Seasons We Sail," "Paris Loves Lovers," "Without Love," "Stereophonic Sound," "Too Bad"

For 5 points: "Hail, Bibinski" (3)

Not mentioned: "It's a Chemical Reaction, That's All," "All of You," "Josephine," and others

5. Please follow this link and select a country lying along the Silk Road trade routes, according to the Silk Road Society.

For 10 points: Syria, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkey, Pakistan, Afghanistan

For 5 points: Tajikistan (2)

Not Mentioned: Azerbaijan, China, India, Iran, Iraq, Italy, Mongolia, Russia, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan

Scores:

With 50 points: zorba_scank
With 45 points: Gatsby722, cinnam0n
With 40 points: maninmidohio, denni19, brandz_mygirl
With 30 points: Mugaboo, szabs

Congratulations to zorba_scank for winning a March trivia point!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#411714 - Tue Mar 11 2008 04:57 PM Re: March Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England

Wednesday 12 March
Q1 A film with green in the title
Q2 A song title with green in the title
Q3 A book title with green in the title
Q4 Something that is traditionally green
Q5 Something you can eat which is green
The round closes over the weekend!

#411715 - Thu Mar 13 2008 12:10 PM Re: March Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 13 - Thursday

I just watched “Reservoir Dogs” for the first time last night, inspiring this Quentin Tarantino-themed round...

1. "From Dusk Till Dawn" follows the story of two bank robbers who take a family hostage in order to cross the border into Mexico. Their plans are quickly interrupted by a band of vampires intent on killing them all. On the off chance you are ever in a similar situation (quite likely, I know), it may help to know how to recognize vampires. Please look at this site and tell me one of the listed vampire characteristics.

2. "Jackie Brown" tells the tale of a flight attendant involved in smuggling arms money. The attendant, Jackie Brown, is eventually discovered, and put in the difficult position of deciding between her boss (a dangerous arms dealer) and a jail sentence. This film, directed by Quentin Tarantino, was based off of Elmore Leonard's novel "Rum Punch." Please select any screenplay Elmore Leonard has written.

3. "Kill Bill: Vol. 1" is a saga of revenge. "The Bride" (played by Uma Thurman) is gunned down on her wedding day by members of the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad. After waking from a four year coma, the Bride (codename: Black Mamba) seeks revenge on her former associates by hunting them down, one by one. The snake codenames were indeed appropriate, as untreated snakebites can be very dangerous. Therefore, have a look at this CDC website , and choose a possible symptom of a snakebite.

4. "Reservoir Dogs" shows a gang of thieves who have to deal with the fallout of a poorly-executed armed robbery. The thieves protect themselves from the get-go by referring to each other by color nicknames. Of the six thieves with code names, please tell me (a) one of the colors used as a codename or (b) one of the six actors who played these 'colorful' roles.

5. This leaves me with Quentin Tarantino's most well-known movie: "Pulp Fiction." I am not going to even attempt to summarize the plot. However, those of you that have seen the movie should recall a certain briefcase instrumental in the movie, whose contents were never revealed. This has led to much speculation, and as a result the Toronto Star ran a contest to see the wide variety of guesses. Snopes has listed some of the more popular entries - please visit this page and choose one of the items listed.

This round will close on Tuesday, March 18 at noon FT. Please PM me with any questions. Good luck, everyone!

#411716 - Thu Mar 13 2008 12:22 PM Re: March Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 8 - 8 played

1. The BBC are currently showing a program called "Around the World in 80 Gardens". Give me any garden visited in either Australia or New Zealand.
For 10 points: Alice Springs Desert Park, The Northern Territories; The Garden Vineyard, Moorooduc, Melbourne;
For 5 points: The Royal Botanic Gardens, Sydney [2]; Kennerton Green, Mittagong, New South Wales [2]; Te Kainga Marire , New Plymouth [2]
Not mentioned: The Sitta Garden, Sydney; Cruden farm, Langwarrin, Melbourne; Ayrlies Garden, Auckland

2. Name any Train Ferry still in operation.
For 10 points: Baku (Azerbiajan) - Türkmenbasy (Turkmenistan); Prince Rupert (British Columbia) - Whittier (Alaska); Trelleborg (Sweden) - Rostock (Germany); Vanino (Russia) - Kholmsk (Russia); Manitowoc (Wisconsin) - Ludington (Michigan)*; Eregli (Turkey) - Zonguldak (Turkey)
For 5 points: Gothenburg (Sweden) - Frederikshavn (Denmark) [2]
Not mentioned include: Wellington (New Zealand) - Picton (New Zealand); Port Burwell (Ontario) - Ashtabula (Ohio); Varna (Bulgaria) - Odesa (Ukraine)
*The Ludington Ferry now been converted, and no longer carries trains, but as the ferry is still operating and listed as working on some sites, I gave it (It made no difference to the winners).

3. Accourding to the Tanzania Tourist board, please give me one of the top ten destinations in Tanzania.
For 10 points: Serengeti National Park; Lake Manyara National Park; Mt. Kilimanjaro; Mafia Island
For 5 points: Ngorongoro Crater [2]; Ruaha National Park [2]
Not mentioned: Zanzibar and Pemba; Tarangire National Park; Selous Game Reserve; Mt. Meru

4. Please name me one of the 20 Scenic spots in the Taroko National Park.
For 10 points: Heren Gravel Beach; Buluowan; Jiucyudong (Tunnel of Nine Turns) Trail; Lyushui Trail; Siangde Temple Trail
For 5 points: Meiyuan Jhucun Trail [3]
Not mentioned: Cingshui Cliff; Chongde Gravel Beach; Taroko Terrace; Shakadang Trail; Changchun (Eternal Spring) Shrine; Yanzihkou (Swallow Grotto) Trail; Cihmu Bridge; Baiyang Trail; Lianhua Pond; Meiyuan Jhucun Trail; Bilyu Sacred Tree; Guanyuan; Wuling; Hehuan Villa; Tiansiang

5. Name a film directed by Salvador Toscano before 1900.
For 10 points: Ascención en globo de Don Joaquin de la Cantolla y Rico; Charros mexicanos lanzando un potro; Corrida de toros en Guerrita; Dos canarios de cafe; Escenas entre los bastidores del teatro nacional en Mexico; Presidente de la republica despidiendose de los secretarios de estado en Chapultepec
For 5 points: Bano de caballos en la hacienda de Atequiza [2]
Not mentioned include: Don Juan Tenorio; Sevillanas

Scores:
50 points: Denni19
45 points: Maninmidohio; Nakarinna
40 points: Brandz_mygirl; Gatsby722; Zorba Scank
35 points: Cinnam0n
25 points: Szabs

Standing out from the crowd, Denni showed great prowess in getting this rounds lone point.

Edited by Mugaboo (Fri Mar 14 2008 05:56 AM)

#411717 - Fri Mar 14 2008 03:32 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 14 Seeing that for some reason or other I am in a festive mood I have decided to dedicate this round to Festivals

1. The Fallas is undoubtedly one of the most unique and crazy festivals in Valencia, Spain taking place from the 15th to 19th of March. Las Fallas literally means "the fires" in Valencian. The focus of the fiesta is the creation and destruction of "ninots" huge cardboard, wood and plaster statues which are usually satirical in content and are elaborate works of art, some as high as 25 metres. There are about 350 of them placed at key intersections and parks around the city of Valencia. From this page give me the name of a Falla from the Galleries of Fallas Especiales 2006 or Galleries of Other Fallas 2006 (15 to choose from, ie: Pizarro or Water etc.)It is well worth to look around this site to get a real feel of this crazy festival)

2. The festival of San Fermin, or the Pamplona running of the bulls as it is commonly known takes place every year from the 7th to 14th of July starting at 8am. The actual run stretches from the corral at Santo Domingo where the bulls are kept, to the bullring. The length of the run is 825 metres, the run from start to finish takes three minutes. Each day six fighting bulls as well as two herds of bullocks run the route. At 8am a rocket is fired to confirm that the gate has been opened. Runners dressed in white with a red handkerchief around their necks pray to San Fermin then a second rocket announces that the bulls are on their way. The running of the bulls is also a very dangerous tradition, in order to ensure the safety of the spectators and runners there are certain rules to follow put out by the Town Council. From this site could you please tell me one of the 13 rules that tells you what is expressly forbidden to do, please summarize with the first 4-5 words

3. The Devils of Yare is the name of a religious festivity celebrated in San Francisco de Yare, in, Venezuela, on the day of Corpus Christi. Its origins are traced back to the 18th century. A ritual dance is performed by the "Dancing Devils" to the music of drum beats, wearing mostly red garments, masks of grotesque appearance and also accessories like crosses, scapulars, rosaries and other sorts of amulets. The fraternity of the devils is divided into a hierarchical order, which is represented in their masks. From this page give me the title of any picture from 1-12 ( the first 2-3 words will do)

4. The Brazilian Carnival festival is held 40 days before Easter and marks the beginning of Lent. The paraders known as “Blocos” are groups of people dressed in costumes with a certain theme , Blocos are generally associated with particular neighborhoods or suburbs and include both a percussion or music group and an entourage of revelers, Nowadays there are more than 100 "Blocos". The highlight of Rio Carnival is undoubtedly the Rio Carnival Parade called the Samba Parade, a totally unique event in the world. The Rio Samba Parade is actually a fierce competition between the Rio samba schools. The judges and spectators watch the principal parades in the Sambodromo which was especially built for this event. From this page please tell me one of the 10 categories in which the Samba Parades/ Schools are judged.

5. The Dreaming Festival is a showcase of indigenous Australia and its ancient cultures through traditional and contemporary artistic expression. From dance, music, theatrical, performances to workshops, lectures, traditional foods and crafts, the festival is a proud creative celebration of traditional Australian culture and also includes representations from the indigenous cultures of New Zealand. From Dancestry page please give me the name of a dancestry group that is performing.

Let say we will close this round on Wednesday noonish FT time, if you have any questions or need some help I will be around, to give a helping hand.

Edited by szabs (Fri Mar 14 2008 10:40 AM)

#411718 - Sat Mar 15 2008 04:35 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Round 11 is now closed.
I apologise for sleeping all the way thru FT noon yesterday and missing to do this .

I'll post the results as soon as I'm done with them - it WILL be today, I promise .

#411719 - Sat Mar 15 2008 10:38 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Results for ROUND 11

7 players for the “Leonard Cohen” round – Thank you all for sending your answers !

1. From HERE please give me any of the attributes/characteristics of a Virgo/Libra person.

10 points ALL: Open-Minded, Ambitious, Diplomatic, Hydroniac, Romantic, Clean, Cooperation

2. Name another performer in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, whose surname begins with the letter "C".

10 points ALL: Ray Charles, Tom Constanten (The Grateful Dead), Fred Cash (The Impressions), Stu Cook (Creedence Clearwater Revival), Paul Cook (Sex Pistols), Gene Clark (The Byrds), Stewart Copeland (The Police)

3. Please give me any line/verse from Leonard Cohen’s "Tower of Song" that starts with "I" - as a pronoun, not a letter.

10 points: I’m standing by the window where the light is strong; I’m very sorry, baby, doesn’t look like me at all; I loved you baby, way back when; I see you standing on the other side

5 points: I don’t know how the river got so wide [3]

Not mentioned: I ache in the places where I used to play; I’m just paying my rent every day; I said to Hank Williams: how lonely does it get; I was born like this, I had no choice; I was born with the gift of a golden voice; I’ll be speaking to you sweetly

4. Kindly find me a character from the 2007 movie "Juno", who has both a first and a last name.

10 points: Vanessa Loring, Bren MacGuff, Juno MacGuff, Katrina De Voort, Steve Rendazo

5 points: Mac MacGuff [2]

5. From THIS PAGE please give me the name of a (one) person who translated "Beautiful Losers" in any foreign language between 1998 and 2005.

10 points: Li Sanchong, Merce Costa Clos, Simone Barillari

5 points: Michel Doury [2], Liviu Bleoca [2]

Not mentioned: Anna Kolyszko, Kaj Skagen, Nezih Onur, Erik Sandin, Milos Djurdjevic, Javier Saint, Susan Hendry, José Marcelo, Anastasia Gryzunova, Helena Lohtaja, Francesca Camioni, Aistë Ptakauskaitë

The RESULTS for Round 11 are:

With 50 points: Nakarinna and Zorba_scank – Great job, ladies !

With 45 points: Maninmidohio and Mugaboo

With 40 points: Brandz_mygirl and Szabs

With 35 points: Gatsby

Congratulations to the winning “duet” - Nakarinna and Zorba. They each get one monthly point for March.

I’d like to address a big, big “Thank you!” to Gatsby, for tallying the January and February results as well as the 'Grand Total' of 2008 for the first two months of the year.

#411720 - Sun Mar 16 2008 11:10 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Round 12 (Wednesday!) will close sometime tomorrow

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002