Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#411721 - Sun Mar 16 2008 07:34 PM Re: March Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 17 ~ Monday

It all started when I kept seeing/hearing about Carol Burnett appearing on every talk show on TV. Then [ahem] that 'Ace Ventura' dude started showing himself from noon to midnight daily. Had to be a new movie coming out starring the two of them (strange a combo as they make indeed), eh? Yep. No desire, here, to see the flick - but it'll work for a Trivia Round theme...

1. To start? Where else but with that delightful gentleman Doctor Seuss (aka Theodor Seuss Geisel [1904-1991], of course), who had the endless imagination, tireless skills and well-aimed eye to write "Horton Hears A Who!" in 1954. Did he ever suspect his "little classics" would be the stuff of later high-tech films designed to, one might wisely note, keep Jim Carrey's career afloat as the wiry comedian approached his fiftieth year ? Probably not. All that generation-after-generation success aside, though ... There was a book titled "Your Favorite Seuss: A Baker's Dozen by the One and Only Dr. Seuss" (designed by Molly Leach) which, natch, had thirteen tales in it. Skipping "Horton", tell me another story in there, please.

2. As I googled Seussically, I found myself many a Horton-*this* or a Horton-*that*. This one looked slightly interesting, I thought, so I investigated a bit. It addressed the Horton Vineyard in Orange County, Virginia USA. While it seems perfectly reasonable, now, to think so - I'd never really thought of any thriving winegrowers planted squarely in a seasonal "colonial" state. But, heck! They have grapes there, so why not a jug of wine or two as well, yes? Their 'Fruit Wines' (aka Chateau Le Cabin) sounded especially tasty. There are nine fruits used to make those. Please take a moment and tell me one of 'em, OK?

3. Stepping a bit away from McElligot's Pool, bepocketed Wockets and/or Diffendoofer Days, a young unfortunate fellow named Tommy - deaf, dumb and blind ... but wildly impressive in the "pinball wizardry" department - also fits (kinda) into our theme. "The Who's Tommy" opened on Broadway on April 22, 1993. It had already been a huge success as a recorded rock opera for twenty [plus] years and yielded a successful (albeit unusual) feature film in 1975. Director Des McAnuff was praised (and awarded) for his direction of the musical ~ deservedly, too, if for nothing else than keeping it fresh and effective. Aside from "The Who's Tommy", might you tell me a musical DIRECTED by (not *produced by*, etc.) Des McAnuff that earned HIM either a Tony Award or Drama Desk Award nomination -or- win as Best Director?

4. Good Morning? Thirsty? Hungry? Notably in Canada, these questions are very often met with the name [Miles Gilbert] "Tim" Horton who was a Canadian professional hockey defenceman. He played 24 seasons in the National Hockey League for the Toronto Maple Leafs, New York Rangers, Pittsburgh Penguins and Buffalo Sabres. He may be most famous, however, for his doughnuts and coffee - a small shop he opened decades ago has now become an impressive multi-million dollar business. But let's talk about Stanley Cup-winning athletics today, an area with which Tim was quite familiar. Please tell me a head coach that either WON or came in SECOND for the Stanley Cup in the year that Tim Horton was born, or played his first NHL game, or opened his first doughnut shop or in the year that he died.

5. Skipping the (enough-exposure-already) Mr. Carrey AND Carol Burnett, I'm using Scott Horton to finish up instead. He is a New York attorney recognized for his work in human rights law and the law of armed conflict who was hired by the Associated Press to represent Bilal Hussein, a prize-winning photojournalist, after detainment by the US military for over a year. Bilal's facing charges in the Iraqi Central Court based on content [etc.] of his photos. Very messy . One of his pictures (*this one*?!) was part of a package of 20 AP photographs that won the 2005 Pulitzer Prize for Breaking News Photography - and complicated his life/freedom considerably in the process. Finally, could you tell me another *named* photographer whose work was part of that 20 qty. prize-winning package of snapshots, all taken in 2004?

All righty, then . We'll close this up on Friday morning. Have a great week!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Mon Mar 17 2008 09:46 AM)

#411722 - Mon Mar 17 2008 02:17 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 12th March results
How highly appropriate that the GREEN round should close on St. Patrick's day!

Q1 A film with green in the title
For Ten Points
The Big Green (1995) , Green for Danger (1946), Anne of Green Gables (1934), The Green Berets ~ 1968, The Green Eye of the Yellow God (1913), The Corn is Green (1945) , The Scent of Green Papaya (1993) "This Green Hell" (1936), The Green Scarf (1954),
For Five Points
The Green Mile (1999) (2),
Not mentioned
Fried Green Tomatoes (1991), How Green was my Valley (1941) Green Card (1990) and more

Q2 A song title with green in the title
For Ten Points
Song About Green Fields of Lebennin (J. R. R. Tolkien), Green Grass (by Gary Lewis and the Playboys) , Green Green Song, Little Green Apples ~ O.C. Smith, 1968 , "Sea Foam Green" by Jawbreaker, Jack-In-The-Green by Jethro Tull, "Stopped at a Green Light" (Steve Tannen), Bein’ Green, Green, Green Grass of Home - Johnny Cash
For Five Points
"Green Light" – Beyonce (2)
Not mentioned
Lavender blue dilly dilly, Lavender green and more

Q3 A book title with green in the title
For Ten Points
"Why the Devil Wears Green.", The Green Fairy Book by Andrew Lang – 1892, Lyonesse II: The Green Pearl (by Jack Vance) , GREEN BOOK by Mu`ammar al-Qadhaf, i Green for Life ~ Victoria Boutenko, "Mistress of Green Tree Mill", a novel by Elisabeth McNeill, Green River, Running Red - Ann Rule, A Green Desire by Anton Myrer, . "The Rub of the Green" (William Hallberg), Before Green Gables (by Budge Wilson), Green eggs and Ham (Dr, Suess),
For Five Points
Ten points to all
Not mentioned
Anne of Green Gables (L. M. Motgomery), The Children of Green Meadows (Enid Blyton) and more

Q4 Something that is traditionally green
For Ten Points
green cards (they aren't green anymore...), Envy, Ship's starboard lights, St Patrick decorations, Moluccella flowers, Jim Carrey/Stanley Ipkiss's face in "The Mask", US currency, Iguana, The Chicago River on St. Patrick's Day, Kermit the Frog, Green Eggs and Ham - Dr. Suess,
For Five Points

Ten points to all
Not mentioned
Four leaf clover, Grass, lime and more

Q5 Something you can eat which is green
For Ten Points
Zucchini, Pistachio Ice Cream, Runner Beans, Okra, Nettle Soup, Swiss chard, Banana, Chives, Endive, Green bell peppers, Broccoli
For Five Points
Ten points to all
Not mentioned
Lime, Mint sauce, Lettuce and more.

Results - 11 people
brandz_mygirl – 50
Gatsby – 50
Jafato - 50
maninmidohio - 50
Mugaboo – 50
Nakarinna – 50
Satana – 50
szabs – 50

GSmoke1205 - 45
Zorba _Skank - 45

Lizard_Wizard - 40
Takes a deep breath - well done to: brandz_mygirl, Gatsby, Jafato, Maninmidohio, Mugaboo, Nakarinna, Satana and szabs

Thanks for playing all!!

#411723 - Mon Mar 17 2008 07:28 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
I am SO busy this week! This "earlier than usual" Easter has me very unprepared, so I'll share some of what I have to do with you all!

Round 15

1. A must on my shopping list is Easter candy for the husband, kids, and grandkids. One of our favorite basket-stuffers are Marshmallow Peeps. Please tell me a color that Easter Peeps (chicks) come in.

2. Another of everyone's favorites are Cadbury Creme Eggs. Name any variety or product related to the Creme Egg, from this page.

3. I do need to think about decorating a little. When my children were small, we always did a craft at Easter to decorate with. Please name any of the Easter crafts on this page.

4. My least favorite preparation for this week is CLEANING. I found some great cleaning tips, though. Please give me any of the Best Ways to Tackle Cleaning from this page.

5. The most important part of my Easter is attending church, and one of the BEST things is singing traditional Easter hymns. Please name one of the Easter hymns included in Volume 1 of this collection of arrangements for brass instruments.

All right - this will close on Friday at noon FT time. Have a wonderful week, everyone!

#411724 - Mon Mar 17 2008 11:31 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 13 will close in just under 24 hours...

#411725 - Mon Mar 17 2008 11:49 PM Re: March Trivia Rounds
srini701 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Hyderabad India           
Am sorry I haven't been making an appearance here for quite some time now. Will return (as a player first) from April.

Sorry about leaving you folks mid way through as a host

#411726 - Tue Mar 18 2008 06:17 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
We have missed you, srini!

#411727 - Tue Mar 18 2008 11:04 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 13 Results

10 terrific players entered this round…

1. Please look at this site and tell me one of the listed vampire characteristics.

For 10 points: Blood drinking, Immortality

For 5 points: Pale skin (4), Fangs (4)

Not mentioned: Supernatural strength, Supernatural powers, Supernatural senses, Aversion to sunlight

2. Please select any screenplay Elmore Leonard has written.

For 10 points: "The Moonshine War" (1970), "Joe Kidd" (1972), "52 Pick-Up" (1986), "The Rosary Murders" (1987)

For 5 points: "Stick" (1985) – (2), "Mr. Majestyk" (1974) – (2), "Cat Chaser" (1989) – (2)

Not mentioned: "Last Stand at Saber River" (1997), "Desperado" (1987), "High Noon, Part II" (1980)

3. Therefore, have a look at this CDC website , and choose a possible symptom of a snakebite.

For 10 points: Severe pain at the site of the bite, Disturbed vision

For 5 points: A pair of puncture marks at the wound (2), Redness and swelling around the bite (3), Increased salivation and sweating (3)

Not mentioned: Nausea and vomiting, Labored breathing, Numbness or tingling around face/limbs

4. Of the six thieves with code names, please tell me (a) one of the colors used as a codename or (b) one of the six actors who played these 'colorful' roles.

For 10 points: Michael Madsen, Mr. Blonde, Mr. White, Mr. Pink, Tim Roth, Steve Buscemi, Mr. Orange

For 5 points: Mr. Brown (3)

Not mentioned: Harvey Keitel, Mr. Blue, Eddie Bunker, Quentin Tarantino

5. Snopes has listed some of the more popular entries - please visit this page and choose one of the items listed.

For 10 points: The diamonds from the robbery in "Reservoir Dogs," O.J.'s other glove, The ear from "Reservoir Dogs," A human head

For 5 points: Rudolph's nose (2), Michael Jackson's other glove (4)

Not Mentioned: The Oscar that Quentin Tarantino hopes to win, Small nuclear bomb (homage to "Kiss Me Deadly")

Scores:

With 40 points: denni19, zorba_scank
With 35 points: Lizard_Wizard, Santana2002, Mugaboo, brandz_mygirl, GSmoke1205
With 30 points: maninmidohio, Gatsby722, szabs

Congratulations to denni19 and zorba_scank for winning one March trivia point each!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#411728 - Tue Mar 18 2008 11:14 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 14 will close in a about 24 hours, any latecomers are very welcome...

Edited by szabs (Tue Mar 18 2008 11:33 AM)

#411729 - Tue Mar 18 2008 01:59 PM Re: March Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Round 18 - March quiz

Today’s quiz – ”PI”
It’s 4 days late but March 14 was ‘Pi Day’, a little play on the commonly used mathematical pi ratio of 3.14. More accurately, the pi ratio runs into a long series of numbers after the 3.14 and some folks have been known to memorise up to 100 digits after the decimal place. (I sometimes have difficulty remembering an 8-digit telephone number).

Don’t worry, this round has nothing whatsoever to do with numbers. It will be about words that begin with “PI”.

1) The PIneapple is a tropical fruit that is juicy and sweet and can be eaten raw, juiced or cooked as part of a dish or dessert. The fruit is available year round from most supermarkets, either in its fresh fruit form or in tins. Please name another fruit which is available canned/tinned.

2) PIzza is one of my favourite words. From the website of Pizza Hut in Singapore, please choose a pizza topping from its Home Delivery ala carte menu, ignoring crust type and pizza size. There should be 15 varieties to choose from.

3) PIrelli tyres (also spelt as tires) are renowned in racing circles worldwide. Possibly better known than Pirelli tyres is the Pirelli Calendar, originally started in 1964 as a trade calendar, and has now become a sought-after collectible item. The calendar is never sold, limited quantities are produced and gifted to the very select few. It is also regarded as prestigious to be chosen to photograph or be photographed for the calendar, the list of photographers and models involved with the calendar over the years is like a who’s who in the modeling industry. The calendar has been produced yearly, apart from a 10-year gap (1974 to 1983) when company cut-backs saw its temporary demise. Please name any of the models featured in the 2008 Pirelli calendar.

4) Please name any of the top 10 PItchers in the 2007 ‘List of Major League Baseball Players in career wins’.

5) PIppi Longstocking is a fictional character from a series of children’s books written by Swedish author Astrid Lindgren. The character is 9 years old, very independent, lives alone (her father is forever traveling somewhere, her mother died), somewhat eccentric in behaviour but with a very kind heart, extremely strong and fearless. I enjoyed reading the books in my younger days. Please give me a name of any of the books about Pippi Longstocking. There are 11 books in the series.

That’s the 5 questions from me this week. This round will close on Saturday 22 March at midnight FT time. Thanks for reading this post, regards to all.

#411730 - Wed Mar 19 2008 05:21 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 19 ~ Wednesday

I'm having some computer problems this morning ... so I'll cut to the chase here and get these posted (after 6 tries). All I know is that I recently heard that Mary Ann (Dawn Wells) was busted for pot! What's next? X-Rated snapshots of Ginger? Thurston Howell involved in bank fraud? Shocking stuff, I tell ya...

1. There are (trust me, I found out in a hurry) 800+ websites out there about "Gilligan's Island". I trust it's a familiar program to all? A three hour tour. A shipwreck. Multitudes of adventures (each stretching the imagination just a wee bit further than the one before it). An occasional monkey or unexpected native drifting into the mix now and then. A skipper who made assault appear palatable (laws are hard to enforce on unchartered islands, though) as he regularly pummelled his "little buddy" about the head and neck. Sigh. TV life was so simple and "fun" in the 60's, wasn't it ? Over on www.shampoopoo.com (yes, that really reads "shampoopoo") they even assign each of the seven castaways one of the Seven Deady Sins! To start, please tell me which islander was given which sin, if you'd be so kind...

2. Hmmm. Here's your little *Trivia Tidbit* for today! Only one of the castaways on "Gilligan's Island" was left-handed. Which was it? But first, while speaking of 'leftys' ---> not too many US Presidents fit the bill as being such. There are a few, though. Might you take a moment and tell me a child of a left-handed American President, please (and limit those children to only ones born in the 20th century, OK?). Oh, and the "Island" lefty was Roy Hinkley, aka The Professor. You might be interested to know, too, that the character had a B.A., B.S., M.A. AND a Ph.D.! Quite the degreed little dude, eh? And *just in case anyone ever asks* the fictional Mr. Hinkley/"Professor" was born in Cleveland, Ohio, too.

3. The show ended its (rather short) three-year run on September 4, 1967 - which was the very same day that the very real "Operation Swift" began. In it, U.S. Marines engaged the North Vietnamese in fierce battle in the Que Son Valley, and [Navy Lieutenant/Chaplain] Vincent R. Capodanno and [Marine Corps Sergeant] Lawrence D. Peters (among others) lost their lives in that bloody exchange. Those two heroes were awarded the Medal of Honor, the highest military decoration awarded by the United States government. Could you tell me another soldier from the Vietnam War who was awarded the Medal of Honor for an action that occcurred in the last six months of 1967?

4. A glaring example of "one darned lucky guy" would be Robert Osbourne "Bob" Denver (1935-2005), who made a nice career for himself playing Willy Gilligan-like parts for decades. Let's just say that it's safe, very safe, to know that he and Laurence Olivier never worried much about stepping on each others' toes. But Bob was fun, and addictively affable ("real" talent or not). Then there was Henry John Deutschendorf, Jr. ~ or John Denver (1943-1997, and no relation to Bob/Gilligan). The latter really was quite talented, in an aptly 'Rocky Mountain' large sort of way. Which leads me to ask ... could you tell me another male singer, living or dead, whose surname is the same as a city/town in the state of Colorado USA?

5. One of the reliable *gags* on "Gilligan's Island" was the array of "stuff" that got created (usually using little more than bamboo and coconuts). Now, honestly, they could whip together a geiger counter! A pedal-powered bamboo sewing machine? A washer, water pump and telegraph? But patching up a hole in the S.S. Minnow was too much to handle ? Ah, well. It was a comedy, not a documentary, yes? It always puts me in mind that somebody on that island was way familiar with political cartoonist Rube Goldberg. He came up with some great "inventions" - described as 'comically involved and complicated devices laboriously contrived to perform a simple operation'. Over on Rube's website he has an example of a "Simplified Pencil Sharpener" (which the castaways would cozy to in seconds, I'm sure ). The components of it are labelled A-S, with 'D' being a small door, for example. Would you tell me a piece of that contraption labelled with a letter that appears in GILLIGAN or SKIPPER. Thanks!

We'll close this Round up on Sunday afternoon! A few *three hour tours* from now ....

Edited by Gatsby722 (Wed Mar 19 2008 04:16 PM)

#411731 - Thu Mar 20 2008 07:29 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Horton will stop Hearing that Who in 24 hours. Or, in more understandable terms? Round 17 will be closing in a day from *now* ....

#411732 - Thu Mar 20 2008 02:28 PM Re: March Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 20 - Thursday

Today's theme is Stephen Foster...

My inspiration for this round was my page-a-day trivia calendar. Today's question asked for the home state of the eminent American composer (Stephen Foster) who composed "My Old Kentucky Home." Being no fool, I immediately assumed that the answer was not Kentucky. Unfortunately that still left me over forty choices, and I did not choose the correct state - Pennsylvania. Please visit the University of Pittsburgh's website on Stephen Foster, and give me the title of any of his songs that begin with the letter 'C.'

2. Stephen Foster was a mid-nineteenth century American composer whose repertoire included both popular minstrel songs and sentimental ballads. Many of his songs are still widely known, earning him an honored place in the music history of the U.S. One of these songs is the timeless "Beautiful Dreamer." Please select a line from this song that does NOT begin with the words "Beautiful dreamer." (N.B. - There is at least one other song with the same title, so be careful to choose Foster's.)

3. Another famous song of Foster's is the previously mentioned "My Old Kentucky Home." This song was adopted as the state song of Kentucky, and is played annually at the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs. Churchill Downs also hosts the Stephen Foster Handicap each year. Please tell me the name of a horse that won the Stephen Foster Handicap at Churchill Downs between 1998-2007.

4. A third extremely well-known Foster composition is "Oh! Susanna" (which I will probably have stuck in my head for the duration of this round ). "Oh! Susanna" became the banner song of the California Gold Rush, and has been reproduced and parodied in countless shows. An example of this would be the Marx Brothers' rendition (including the words "Oh! Freedonia, don't you cry for me...") in the comedy classic Duck Soup. Please choose another song appearing on the Duck Soup soundtrack.

5. Finally, a CD containing eighteen of Stephen Foster's songs was released in 2004. These traditional American songs are performed by a variety of modern artists. Please name for me an artist featured in the "Beautiful Dreamer: The Songs of Stephen Foster" collection.

This round will close on Tuesday, March 25 at noon FT time. As always, please PM me with any questions and good luck!

#411733 - Fri Mar 21 2008 08:43 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Note: I posted these earlier, but forgot a whole set of answers (*whoops !*). This is the "official" tally, though...

Round 17 - Monday
"Horton Hears A Who!", etc.
Eight terrific players!

1. There was a book titled "Your Favorite Seuss: A Baker's Dozen by the One and Only Dr. Seuss" (designed by Molly Leach) which, natch, had thirteen tales in it. Skipping "Horton", tell me another story in there.

For 10 Points:
And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street, Dr. Seuss's Sleep Book, Happy Birthday to You!, How the Grinch Stole Christmas!, If I Ran the Zoo, The Sneetches
For 5 Points:
Yertle the Turtle (2)

"McElligot's Pool", "The Cat in the Hat", "Green Eggs and Ham", "The Lorax" and "Oh, the Places You'll Go!" are also in the collection.

2. Their 'Fruit Wines' (aka Chateau Le Cabin) sounded especially tasty. There are nine fruits used to make those. Please take a moment and tell me one of 'em, OK?

For 10 Points:
Blackberry, Blueberry, Raspberry, Strawberry
For 5 Points:
Cranberry (2), Pear (2)

Peach, Plum & Cherry are the ones everybody skipped on...

3. Aside from "The Who's Tommy", might you tell me a musical DIRECTED (not *produced by*, etc.) by Des McAnuff that won him either a Tony Award or Drama Desk Award nomination/win?

For 10 Points:
No one today
For 5 Points:
Big River (3), How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying (3), Jersey Boys (2)

Which leaves "Urinetown", "Into The Woods", "42nd Street", "The Music Man", "1776", "High Society", "Titanic", "Once Upon A Mattress", "The King And I", "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum", "Guys And Dolls", "The Secret Garden", "Hamlet" and "Prelude To A Kiss" as the others directed by Mr. McAnuff.

4. Please tell me a head coach that either WON or came in SECOND for the Stanley Cup in the years that Tim Horton was born, or played his first NHL game, or opened his first doughnut shop or in the year that he died.

For 10 Points:
Sid Abel (Detroit Red Wings), Armand "Bep" Guidolin (Boston Bruins), Dick Irvin (Montreal Canadiens), Floyd Smith (Buffalo Sabres)
For 5 Points:
Art Ross (Boston Bruins) (2), Fred Shero (Philadelphia Flyers) (2)

5. Finally, could you tell me another *named* photographer whose work was part of that 20 qty. prize-winning package of snapshots, all taken in 2004?

For 10 Points:
Khalid Mohammed, John Moore
For 5 Points:
Jim MacMillan (4), Murad Sezer (2)

Karim Kadim, Samir Mizban, Muhammed Muheisen, Mohammed Uraibi, Anja Niedringhaus and Brennan Linsley are the other ones.

The Results!

40 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, gsmoke827, nakarinna
35 Points! .... denni19, maninmidohio, zorba_scank
30 Points! .... szabs
25 Points! .... Mugaboo

In a friendly and leisurely (but close) contest, monthly points are this time awarded to brandz_mygirl, gsmoke827 (and *Welcome!* to the Trivia Rounds ) & nakarinna! "Yay!" to those three, and thank you all for playing!

#411734 - Sat Mar 22 2008 04:12 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 22 - - Saturday 22nd March

Welcoleme to my Easter quiz.

1. I would like to send you all chocolates for Easter, but I don't have your addresses, so I'll just give you the recipe. From Here please tell me one of the things you'll need to make Chocolate Truffles.

2. An Eastern Happy (Astatotilapia calliptera) is kind of perch like fish. Other than Astatotilapia, please name any genus of Cichlid begining with the letter "A".

3. Rongorongo is the name of a script that was used on Easter Island. Please give one of the nicknames given to one of the surviving Rongorongo texts.

4. Paul Easter was a Scots swimmer who won an Olympic relay bronze medal. Other than Easter, name any medallist in the 4x200m freestyle relay at the 1984 Olympics

5. "Easter" is the name of a track by Marillion, please give me a track from Marillion's "Seasons End" album (1987 remastered CD version, "Demo" will count the same as original).

Round will end Thursday.

#411735 - Sat Mar 22 2008 11:02 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Oops this comes a little late...meant to post this at the 24 hours-to-closing mark.

Round 18 will close in 12 hours' time.

#411736 - Sat Mar 22 2008 11:21 PM Re: March Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 18 is now closed. Am going through answers (didn't have time to reply to all those who sent in answers) at the moment. Results will be posted a bit later than usual. I need to go out for a while.

#411737 - Sun Mar 23 2008 03:31 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
*I'm thinking we should change the title of this thread to "Last Call" ...* ~ but, anyway, Round 19 will be closing in app. 12 hours from *now* .

#411738 - Sun Mar 23 2008 09:05 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 18 – March Answers

7 really cool participants for the “PI” round. Thank you very much for playing. Happy Easter everyone!

1) Please name another fruit (other than Pineapple) which is available canned/tinned.
For Ten Points: Cape Gooseberries, Plums, Grapefruit, Peaches, Orange, Mandarin Oranges, Guava
10 points all!
Not mentioned: Longans, Lychees, Rambutans, Pears, Cherries and lots more.

2) From the website of Pizza Hut in Singapore, please choose a pizza topping from its Home Delivery ala carte menu, ignoring crust type and pizza size. There should be 15 varieties to choose from.
For Ten Points: Trio Cheese, Super Supreme, Meat Galore, Aloha, Black Pepper Chicken Supreme
For Five Points: Chicken Supreme (2)
Not mentioned: BBQ Chicken Supreme, Super Hawaiian Supreme, Seafood Supreme, Ocean Catch, Shroom Garden, Hawaiian, Veggie Lover’s, Curry Chicken, Pepperoni

3) Please name any of the models featured in the 2008 Pirelli calendar.
For Ten Points: Mo Wandan (aka Mo Van Dan), Caroline Trentini, Sacha Pivovarova, Lily Donaldson, Gemma Ward
For Five Points: Doutzen Kroes (2)
Not mentioned: Catherine McNeil, Agyness Deyn, Coco Rocha, Du Juan, Maggie Cheung

4) Please name any of the top 10 PItchers in the 2007 ‘List of Major League Baseball Players in career wins’.
For Ten Points: Jim “Pud” Galvin, Kid Nichols, Grover “Pete” Alexander
For Five Points: Roger Clemens (2), Greg Maddux (2)
Not mentioned: Cy Young, Walter Johnson, Christy Mathewson, Warren Spahn, Tim Keefe

5) Please give me a name of any of the books about Pippi Longstocking. There are 11 books in the series.
For Ten Points: Pippi Longstocking, Pippi Goes to School, Pippi Goes on Board, Pippi on Holiday, Pippi’s Extraordinary Ordinary Day
For Five Points: Pippi in the South Seas (2)
Not mentioned: The Adventures of Pippi Longstocking, Do You Know Pippi Longstocking?, Pippi Longstocking’s After-Christmas Party, Pippi Goes to the Circus, Pippi Longstocking in the Park, Pippi to the Rescue
I think there are actually 12 books in the series after all. I have a list containing 11 titles, and the ‘website that is frequently referred to in these rounds’ seem to have conflicting numbers, mentioning 12 books in the second paragraph under the article ‘Pippi Longstocking’, with a later paragraph in the same article mentioning 11 books. Is anyone able to help clarify?

RESULTS!

Top Place:
45 points: Maninmidohio, Nakarinna, Mugaboo & Gsmoke827 Well done ! *Waves hello to Gsmoke827*

Other results:
40 points: Denni, Gatsby & Zorba_Scank

#411739 - Sun Mar 23 2008 02:59 PM Re: March Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 19 - Wednesday
"Gilligan's Island"
Seven remarkable players (thank you !)

1. To start, please tell me which islander was given which sin, if you'd be so kind...

For 10 Points:
Greed = Thurston Howell III, Lust = Ginger
For 5 Points:
Envy = Mary Ann (2), Pride = The Professor (3)

The other sinful assignees were Gluttony = Gilligan (even though he was a skinny little squirt, and the Skipper was - um - NOT ~ but he had to qualify for at least ONE sin, I reckon, seeing as how "Annoying" is not on the list), Sloth = Lovey Howell and Anger = The Skipper (of course).

2. Might you take a moment and tell me a child of a left-handed American President, please (and limit those children to only ones born in the 20th century, OK?).

For 10 Points:
John Ellis "Jeb" Bush, Pauline Robinson "Robin" Bush, Patti (neé Reagan) Davis, Michael Gerald Ford, Dorothy Bush Koch
For 5 Points:
John Gardner "Jack" Ford (2)

Let's see ... all together there were two Hoovers, one Truman, four Fords, four Reagans, one Clinton and six Bushes. Lots!

3. Could you tell me another soldier from the Vietnam War who was awarded the Medal of Honor for an action that occcurred in the last six months of 1967?

For 10 Points:
Webster Anderson (Army Staff Sergeant, October); Harold B. Durham, Jr. (Army Second Lieutenant, October); Angelo J. Liteky (Army Captain, December); William T. Perkins, Jr. (Marine Corps Corporal, October); Robert F. Stryker (Army Specialist Fourth Class, November)
For 5 Points:
Stephen W. Pless (Marine Corps Captain, August) (2)

Eighteen more of these fine young men from which to choose.

4. Which leads me to ask ... could you tell me another male singer, living or dead, whose surname is the same as a city/town in the state of Colorado USA?

For 10 Points:
For Everyone !
Tommy "Atwood", Colorado ZIP Code 80722 (Gospel Singer); "Fink", ZIP Code 81215 (English Singer/Songwriter); Johnny "Hartman", ZIP Code 81043 (Baritone Jazz Singer); Jake "Moffat", ZIP Code 81143 (Acoustic Guitarist/Singer); Webb "Pierce", ZIP Code 80650 (Country/Honky Tonk Singer); Asie "Payton", ZIP Code 80831 (Blues Singer/Guitarist), Travis "Rush", ZIP Code 80833 (Acoustic Guitarist/Singer)

5. Over on Rube's website he has an example of a "Simplified Pencil Sharpener". Would you tell me a piece of that contraption labelled with a letter that appears in GILLIGAN or SKIPPER.

For 10 Points:
I (Electric Iron), K (Smoke), L (Hole in Tree), P (Cage)
For 5 Points:
R (Pencil) (3)

The other gadgets/widgets were A) Window, E) Moths, G) Shoes, N) Opossum and, finally, S) Emergency Knife.

The Results!

50 Points! ... maninmidohio ~ great job !
45 Points! ... gsmoke827, Mugaboo, nakarinna
35 Points! ... brandz_mygirl, denni19, zorba_scank

Yay! Another perfect score ~ congratulations to maninmidohio for earning a picture perfect point this time! And much appreciation to you all for playing. Great answers, all-around!
Happy Easter! And see you in a week (or so)...

Edited by Gatsby722 (Tue Mar 25 2008 03:22 PM)

#411740 - Mon Mar 24 2008 11:00 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 20 will be closing in 24 hours...

#411741 - Tue Mar 25 2008 11:00 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
ROUND 25 - a Family Round .

1. A family or a group, is a vertical column in the periodic table of the chemical elements. Group 18 contains the noble gases and is also known as the Helium family.
Please give me the boiling or melting point (in Celsius) of any 'member' of this family.

2. From THIS PAGE, please give me one of the "5 Realities of Family Life" OR one of the "7 Keys to Creating Family Ties".

3. "Little Miss Sunshine", the 2006 film, portraits the Hoover family. They look like a handful of tourists thrown together on the same bus - not two of them are slightly alike - yet some strong bonds are revealed during their adventures. They are just a plain, normally 'abnormal' family, if you ask me .
Kindly name a song from the Original Motion Picture Soundtrack of "Little Miss Sunshine".

4. A Family business is a company owned, controlled, and operated by members of one or several families. Matthew Algie is a family-run business, founded in 1864, which now claims to be UK's "leading independent coffee roaster".
Now if you're asking yourself "Matthew who?", you might find the answer in HERE. While on that page why not Take the Tour ?
And please pick one of the hotspots on the map you'll find in there.

5. Hopefully, this last "family" question will provide everyone with a quick 10 points: Please give me the first name of any of your Grandparents.
(If they have two or more first names, please pick just one. And I am not that nosy, so there's no need to explain which grandparent they are .)

Round 25 will close on Saturday at noon, Fun Trivia time and I'll make sure to answer any clarifying question you might have.

#411742 - Tue Mar 25 2008 11:15 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 20 Results

7 players entered this round…

1. Please visit the University of Pittsburgh's website on Stephen Foster, and give me the title of any of his songs that begin with the letter 'C.'

For 10 points: "Comrades Fill No Glass for Me"

For 5 points: "Come With Thy Sweet Voice Again" (2), "Camptown Races, De" (2), "Come Where My Love Lies Dreaming" (2)

Not mentioned: “Cane Brake Jig,” “Choral Harp,” “Cora Dean”

2. Please select a line from this song that does NOT begin with the words "Beautiful dreamer."

For 10 points: Starlight and dewdrops are waiting for thee; E'en as the morn on the streamlet and sea; Waiting to fade at the bright coming morn

For 5 points: Over the streamlet vapors are borne (2); List while I woo thee with soft melody (2)

Not mentioned: Sounds of the rude world, heard in the day; Lull'd by the moonlight have all pass'd away; Gone are the cares of life's busy throng; Mermaids are chanting the wild lorelie; Then will all clouds of sorrow depart

3. Please tell me the name of a horse that won the Stephen Foster Handicap at Churchill Downs between 1998-2007.

For 10 points: Golden Missile, Perfect Drift, Awesome Again, Guided Tour, Seek Gold

For 5 points: Victory Gallop (2)

Not mentioned: Flashy Bull, Saint Liam, Colonial Colony, Street Cry

4. Please choose another song appearing on the Duck Soup soundtrack.

For 10 points: "When the Clock on the Wall Strikes 10," "Just Wait 'Til I Get Through With It," "These Are the Laws of My Administration," "The Sailor's Hornpipe," "The Old Grey Mare," "The Country's Going to War," "Ain't She Sweet"

For 5 points: none

Not mentioned: "His Excellency Is Due," "The Stars and Stripes Forever," "Military Polonaise," "William Tell Overture," and others

5. Please name for me an artist featured in the "Beautiful Dreamer: The Songs of Stephen Foster" collection.

For 10 points: Henry Kaiser, Will Barrow, Alvin Youngblood Hart

For 5 points: Yo Yo Ma (2), Roger McGuinn (2)

Not Mentioned: Raul Malo, Edgar Meyer, Mark O’Connor, Alison Krauss, and others

Scores:

With 45 points: Gatsby722
With 40 points: Mugaboo, maninmidohio, denni19
With 35 points: brandz_mygirl, gsmoke827, zorba_scank

Congratulations to Gatsby722 for earning a hard-fought March trivia point!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#411743 - Tue Mar 25 2008 12:27 PM Re: March Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 14

My apologies to everyone for not posting the answers to my round earlier, but we had a major electrical storm last Wednesday, which blew out all the electrics for 72 hours, and has left a 30 mile area still without telephone or internet lines. I am in a town 30 miles from home, in order to get on line. I hope that our lines come back in the next few days and things get back to normal.

#411744 - Wed Mar 26 2008 02:02 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 26 March 2008
Q1 A weapon in the game Clue/Cluedo
Q2 Something you associate with spring
Q3 A sport played with a ball
Q4 A type of bread
Q5 A type of footwear

This closes at the weekend

#411745 - Wed Mar 26 2008 12:22 PM Re: March Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 14 Answers 9 wonderful festive players participated in this round.

1. From this page give me the name of a Falla from the Galleries of Fallas Especiales 2006 or Galleries of Other Fallas 2006.

For 10 Points: Falla on Honeymoons, Falla on Passing Things, Falla Nou Campanar
For 5 Points:Falla on Grey World(Mechanized Society)(2), Falla on Unsustained Development (2), Falla Cadarso (2)
Among others: Falla about neighbours, anti-consumerist, children, Don Quixote, water and satire on Mayors.

2. The running of the bulls is also a very dangerous tradition, in order to ensure the safety of the spectators and runners there are certain rules to follow put out by the Town Council. From this site could you please tell me one of the 13 rules that tells you what is expressly forbidden to do

For 10 points:Nº13 impede the normal running of the Bull Run, Nº 5 To leave open the doors of the houses along the course, Nº12 To take photographs, Nº9 Call the animals or distract them, Nº2 To go over the police barriers, Nº 11 To grab onto, harass or mistreat the animals.
For 5 points:Nº 6 To enter into the route in a state of drunkenness (3)
Among others: To be under 18, To hide oneself, To stop in the Bull Run

3. The Devils of Yare is the name of a religious festivity celebrated in San Francisco de Yare, in, Venezuela. From this page give me the title of any picture from 1-12

For 10 Points:Sede de la Cofradia, Mara de Diablo de Yare, Frente al cementerio, Iglesia de San Francisco
For 5 Points:Mascaritas de Yare (3), En plena procesión (2)
Among Others: Diablo danzante, Diablo maraqueando

4. From this page please tell me one of the 10 categories in which the Samba Parades/ Schools are judged.

For 10 Points: Costumes, The Flag Bearer, Floats and Props, Theme of the Year, Samba Song
For 5 Points: Vanguard Group (2), Harmony (2)
The Others were: Percussion Band, Flow and Spirit, Overall Impression

5. From Dancestry page please give me the name of a dancestry group that is performing at the Dreaming.

For 10 Points: Minh Pora Pormpuraaw, The Spirit of Wandjina, Miwatj Dancers
For 5 Points: Mornington Island Dancers (2), Taigai Torres Strait Islander (2), Doonooch Dancers (2)
The others were: Anangu Dancers of Uluru, The White Cockatoo Performing Group

Scores
With 50 points: Maninmidohio
With 40 points: Denni19, Lizard_Wizard, Mugaboo
With 35 points: brandz_mygirl, Gatsby722 , Nakarina, zorba_scank
With 30 points: GSmoke1205

Congratulations to Maninmidohio for scoring a perfect 50 points and picking up a point for March, thank you to all the rest for playing, and once again my apologies for posting the answers so late.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002