Terms of Use

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#411746 - Thu Mar 27 2008 12:24 PM Re: March Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 22 - 6 played

1. From Here please tell me one of the things you'll need to make Chocolate Truffles.
For 10 points: Cream; Butter; Medium cooking pan; Whisk
For 5 points: Water [2]
Not mentioned include: Cooking Chocolate; Large Knife; Fridge

2. Other than Astatotilapia, Please name any genus of Cichlid begining with the letter "A".
For 10 points: Aequidens; Alticorpus; Amphilophus; Apistogrammoides
For 5 points: Altolamprologus [2]
Not mentioned include: Acaronia; Archocentrus; Aulonocara

3. Please give one of the nicknames given to one of the surviving Rongorongo texts.
For 10 points: Santiago staff (I); London Reimiro 1 (J); Long Reimiro (L); Small Vienna tablet (M); Boomerang (O); Large Washington (S)
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned include: Tahua (A); Large St Petersburg (P); Honolulu beam (U)

4. Other than Paul Easter, name any medallist in the 4x200m freestyle relay at the 1984 Olympics.
For 10 points: Michael Heath; David Larson; Thomas Fahrner; Paul Howe
For 5 points: Michael Gross [2]
Not mentioned: Jeff Float; Bruce Hayes; Dirk Korthals; Alexander Schowtka; Neil Cochran; Andrew Astbury

5. Please give me a track from Marillion's "Seasons End" album.
For 10 points: The King Of Sunset Town; Holloway Girl; After Me; Hooks In You
For 5 points: Seasons End [2]
Not mentioned: Easter; Seasons End; The Space...; The Bell In The Sea; The Release

Scores:
50 points: Gatsby722
45 points: Brandz_mygirl; Denni19; Maninmidohio
40 points: Zorba Scank
35 points: Gsmoke827

One joyous point, springs enthusiastically towards Gatsby, who can add it to his monthly score after a fine win.

#411747 - Thu Mar 27 2008 03:22 PM Re: March Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 27 - Thursday

Today's theme involves assorted trivia facts of varying degrees of accuracy. Hmmm... perhaps it would be better if I didn't call it a theme.

1. The Eiffel Tower is six inches shorter in the winter than it is in the summer, owing to the expansion of the building materials in the Parisian heat. I’ve seen this tidbit floating around in several places, and the expansion definitely occurs. Six inches seems a reasonable enough amount. Engraved around the Eiffel Tower are seventy-two names representing notable French scientists and mathematicians. Please name a mathematician honored on the Eiffel Tower.

2. It takes about 20 seconds for a red blood cell to circle the whole body. Again, I don’t know that this is true, but it definitely seems possible to me. The heart is an extremely powerful muscle, and the entire circulatory system is designed in such a way that materials can be transported quickly and efficiently. Red blood cells are a crucial component in distributing oxygen to cells, and therefore diseases involving these cells require immediate attention. Please give me the name of a blood disease that compromises the red blood cells (N.B. There are several kinds of anemia, so be specific if you select one of these).

3. Just twenty seconds worth of fuel remained when Apollo 11's lunar module landed on the moon. While the exact amount of fuel left varies between reports, it is generally agreed that Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin guided the lunar module landing with little time to spare. The historic moon landing involved the combined efforts of many people. Please select an individual involved in the Apollo 11 mission belonging to the flight, backup, flight directors, or support crew.

4. Ernest Vincent Wright wrote a novel with over 50,000 words, none of which contained the letter "e." This little fact is easily verifiable. The book was titled “Gadsby,” and was published in 1939. Wright also wrote three other novels. Please choose a word of four or more letters from the title of any of Wright’s four books.

5. The characters Bert and Ernie on Sesame Street were named after Bert the cop and Ernie the taxi driver in Frank Capra's "It's a Wonderful Life." According to imdb.com, Jim Henson denied that this similarity was intentional. Regardless, both Berts and Ernies have made their mark in entertainment history. Although “It’s a Wonderful Life” never won an Oscar, it did weigh in at #2 on BBC’s Best Films Never to Have Won an Oscar list. Please tell me another top-ten movie from this non-Oscar winning list of fantastic films.

This round will close Tuesday April 1 at noon FT time. Good luck, everyone!

#411748 - Fri Mar 28 2008 06:31 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
SO SORRY for being so late posting these results!

Round 15

Round 15

1. A must on my shopping list is Easter candy for the husband, kids, and grandkids. One of our favorite basket-stuffers are Marshmallow Peeps. Please tell me a color that Easter Peeps (chicks) come in.

For 10 points - blue, white

5 points - lavender (2), green (2), yellow (2)

Chick Peeps also come in pink and (exclusively at Target stores) red.

2. Another of everyone's favorites are Cadbury Creme Eggs. Name any variety or product related to the Creme Egg, from this page.

For 10 points -Creme Egg Fondant in a Narrow Cardboard Tube, Chocolate Creme Eggs, Mini Creme Eggs, Dream Eggs

5 points - Dairy Milk with Creme Egg Bars (2), Caramel Eggs (2)

There are also Mini-Caramel Eggs, Mint Creme Eggs, Orange Creme Eggs, Cadbury Egg Ice Cream, and Cadbury McFlurrys.

3. I do need to think about decorating a little. When my children were small, we always did a craft at Easter to decorate with. Please name any of the Easter crafts on this page.

For 10 points - Ribbon Rose Eggs, Back Pack Easter Eggs, Mini Easter Baskets, Easter Treasure Box, Flowered Easter Basket, Cotton Ball Lamb Basket, Color Drop Eggs, Stained Glass Eggs

Good Job, everyone!

4. My least favorite preparation for this week is CLEANING. I found some great cleaning tips, though. Please give me any of the Best Ways to Tackle Cleaning from this page.

For 10 points - Clean as you go, Take all your cleaning tools with you into each room to avoid unnecessary trips back and forth, Prioritize - if your time is limited decide what is most important, Eliminate clutter, Keep a big astro-turf mat on the porch to cut down on tracked in dirt, Make everyone in charge of making his or her own bed and picking up their stuff

5 points - Always pickup the T.V. room before bedtime and start the dishwasher (2)

5. The most important part of my Easter is attending church, and one of the BEST things is singing traditional Easter hymns. Please name one of the Easter hymns included in Volume 1 of this collection of arrangements for brass instruments.

For 10 points - Crown Him with Many Crowns; I Know That My Redeemer Lives; Hail Thee, Festival Day; The Strife is O'er, the Battle Won; Christ the Lord is Risen Today; Were You There

5 points - Lead On, O Eternal King (2)

Scores

Our winner, with a perfect score, is maninmidohio!
Close behind with 45 points - zorba_scank
40 points - Mugaboo, Gatsby, Lizard, szabs, and brandz_mygirl
35 points - nakarinna

Many thanks to our 8 players, and a point for March for maninmidohio!

#411749 - Fri Mar 28 2008 10:32 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 28
My affinity with the wit of Walt Kelly and his Pogo comic strip, has led me to create a POGO theme round .

1. Pogo was the title and central character of a long-running (1948-75) daily comic strip created by Walt Kelly. Set in the Georgia section of the Okefenokee Swamp, Pogo often engaged in social and political satire through the adventures of the strip's funny animals. Probably the most famous Pogo quotation is "we have met the enemy and he is us." More than any other words written by Kelly, it perfectly sums up his attitude towards the foibles of mankind and the nature of the human condition . From this site please give me the name of a permanent resident in the strip.

2. The Project On Government Oversight (POGO) is an independent non profit organization that investigates and exposes corruption and other misconduct . They are committed to exposing waste, fraud and corruption in the following areas: defense, homeland security, energy & natural resources, contract oversight, open government and scientific integrity investigations. From this page please give me the name of any Contract Oversight Investigations

3. The Partnership for Observation of the Global Oceans, POGO, is a forum created by directors and leaders of major oceanographic institutions around the world to promote global oceanography, particularly the implementation of an international and integrated global ocean observing system. From this site please give me one of the reasons (summarized) for Why Ocean Observations?

4. Ogopogo is the name given to a snake like lake monster reported to live in Lake Okanagan in British Columbia, Canada, known under the Salish name of N'ha•a•itk, or Naitaka, it has existed in local myth for an unknown period of time and pre-dates western settlement of the area. It has been allegedly seen many times throughout the years and hence it is an active part of the culture in the area. Ogopogo even has a song about him “Just a Lonely Ogopogo” from this page , please give me the last word of any line in the song.

5. Finally staying with the POGO theme, please give me a four or more letter word using the letters in Walt Kelly.

This round will close on Wednesday 2nd of April afternoonish FT time, as my internet was only connected back on last night I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is on for good now , so if you need any help just holler.

#411750 - Sat Mar 29 2008 11:30 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Round 25 is closed and I'll post the results later today.

#411751 - Sat Mar 29 2008 03:10 PM Re: March Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Results for ROUND 25

7 family-oriented persons sent their answers for this round – Thank you all !

1. Please give me the boiling or melting point (in Celsius) of any 'member' of the Helium family (Group 18 in the Periodic table of the chemical elements).

10 points:
- Neon – boiling point: -246.08 °C
- Xenon – melting point: -115.5 °C
- Helium – melting point: -272.2 °C
- Krypton – melting point: -157.36 °C

5 points: Argon – boiling point: -185.85 °C [3]

Not mentioned: Boiling points of Helium, Krypton, Xenon and Radon as well as the Melting points of Neon, Argon and Radon – a total of 7 other possible answers.

2. From THIS PAGE, please give me one of the "5 Realities of Family Life" OR one of the "7 Keys to Creating Family Ties".

10 points: Key #3 – Stay close to family and friends

5 points: Key #1 - Creating a sense of belonging [2], Key #4 – Creating a strong sense of family identity, rich in tradition [2], Reality #5 – It’s never too late to get started [2]

Not mentioned: The other 4 Realities and 4 Keys.

3. Kindly name a song from the Original Motion Picture Soundtrack of "Little Miss Sunshine".

10 points: “We’re Gonna Make It”, “Martini Lounge”, You Love Me”, "La Llorona", “First Push”.

5 points: “Chicago” [2]

Not mentioned: ”Till The End Of Time”, “No Man's Land”, “Let's Go”, “No One Gets Left Behind”, “Do You Think There's a Heaven” and some more.

4. Please Take the Tour and pick one of the hotspots on the map you'll find in HERE

10 points: Coffee Grinding, Tea Packing, Green Coffee Store, Mission Control, Warehouse

5 points: Coffee Packing [2]

Not mentioned: Reception, Showroom, QA Lab, Coffee Roasting

5. Please give me the first name of any of your Grandparents.

10 points ALL : Dorothy, Jack, Constance, Charles, Edith, Zoltan, Delbert

The RESULTS for Round 25 are:

With 45 points: Brandz_mygirl and Gsmoke827 – Well done both of you !

With 40 points: Szabs, Gatsby, Maninmidohio and Mugaboo

With 35 points: Nakarinna

Warm congratulations to our winners - Brandz and Gsmoke . They each get one well deserved monthly point for March.

#411752 - Sat Mar 29 2008 07:31 PM Re: March Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Round 29

1. On March 29, 1886, Dr. John Pemberton brewed the first batch of Coca-Cola in a backyard in Atlanta, Georgia. Name any variety of Coca-Cola.

2. On March 29, 2004, 7 countries joined NATO as full members. Name any of them.

3. On March 29, 1961, American actress and comedienne Amy Sedaris was born. Please name any film (not for TV) she has appeared in.

4. On March 29, 1788, Charles Wesley, leader of the Methodist movement, died. Please name a hymn that he wrote the words to.

5. On March 29, 1992 Austrian actor and director Paul Henreid died. Name any film that he acted in during the 1930's or 1940's.

This will close on Wednesday, April 2 at noon. Have fun!

#411753 - Sun Mar 30 2008 01:11 PM Re: March Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
An early ...
Round 31 ~ Monday

A kinda loosey-goosey theme this week. Pretty much just thinking about the week/month that is now over...

1. Recently Chelsea Clinton was campaigning for her mother and was posed the question (by an especially "bulldozing" journalist ) if she thought her father's years-ago dalliance with Monica Lewinsky had brought Hillary Clinton's Presidential run any additional disfavor. Stunned, Chelsea responded that, in her years of public speaking, no one had ever had the gall to ask her about that matter. Her final, and nicely fair, answer was: "It's none of your business!" OK, so maybe it wasn't the cleverest comeback. Reactions to insults, though, are rarely as good at the time they're used as they COULD have been, given we insultees more time to think. Over on 'Helium' a contributor (named 'The World's Sage') has listed 12 of The Best Comebacks for Insults, in his/her opinion. Please tell me one of those comebacks. Note: The individual quote itself will be fine ... no need to add who said it, etc.

2. Locally there has been a severely tragic story unfolding. A "New Year's Baby 2008" (born in Akron, Ohio), wee Camryn Jakeb Wilson passed away this week, the result of a fractured skull, severe bleeding in the brain and four broken ribs. His father has taken responsibility for this - the allegations being that he "shook the baby" too roughly. I am not in a place to judge another human being in terms of whether they are *good* souls or not (too big a job for the likes of me, rest assured). However, there seems NO question that these parents were not remotely equipped or educated as to the fragile nature of newborns. Shaken Baby Syndrome, though, is nothing new (albeit a fiercely debated legal/moral defense). "Don't Shake!" attempts to warn people about the perils of mishandling (for whatever reason) the frail structure of a child and their website gives a list of Common Symptoms of Shaken Baby Syndrome. I'd like to know one of those 'symptoms', OK?

3. It could be said that I have a (slightly disturbing ?) obsession with the "American Idol" TV show, I reckon. But one of my favorite contestants this year, Jason Castro, sang a tune called "Hallelujah" on March 4. The song's been notably recorded by many - but the major reference (on the program, at least) came in regards to Jeff Buckley's version. Jeffrey Scott Buckley (1966-1997), in a nutshell, was an acclaimed American singer-songwriter/guitarist with a rather astounding vocal range. An enigmatic fellow to begin with, he approached nearly legendary status after he drowned in Tennessee at just 31 years of age. His work was consistently brilliant! His favorite album on his own resúme, though, was his concert in France, recorded in 1995. Besides "Hallelujah", kindly tell me a track off of Buckley's "Live at L'Olympia". Thanks! (*See Video -HERE- !* )

4. Last Thursday, the series "The Apprentice" wrapped up its latest season (on this one, those vying for the win were all "celebrities"). It all boiled down to a final showdown of "good" vs. "evil", thought host/rich dude Donald Trump. Ultimately "Evil", embodied by Piers Morgan, bested "Good" - the white cowboy hat worn by country singer Trace Adkins. The other contestants loudly supported Trace. They found him fairer, most trustworthy, more cooperative and a far superior 'team player'. No matter. Piers earned more money for his charity, he epitomized that bloodlust and cold-fisted power driving is the *key to success* . Not a great lesson there, in my opinion. Trace Adkins was playing for the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network. That group lists eight foods that account for 90% of all food-allergic reactions. Tell me one of 'em.

5. As a staunch movie fan I was most saddened at the death of David Paul Scofield on March 19. Born in 1922, he was an actor with a delivery that could stir the coldest heart and a voice that could likely jostle even a fully stoic soul. Scofield was globally praised (and awarded) for his role as Sir Thomas More in A Man for All Seasons (1966). *More* was an actor's dream, too. A martyred and unflinchingly "forward thinker", doing battle with Henry VIII? Great stuff. Sir Thomas also gave the world a new word in his writings, a term still found useful today. To close, could you please tell me a word (5 letters or more) that appears in the LAST sentence of Thomas More's "De Optimo Republicae Statu deque Nova Insula Utopia", or familiarly, "Utopia" (as translated by Gilbert Burnet)?

I hope those read close to correctly . Always here to clarify matters, though, if needed. This one'll close on Friday morning, OK? Have a powerfully fine week!

#411754 - Mon Mar 31 2008 12:54 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 26 March 2008 Results

Q1 A weapon in the game Clue/Cluedo
For Ten Points
Rope,
For Five Points
Spanner/Wrench (2), Revolver (3) Candlestick (2),
Not mentioned
Lead pipe and dagger

Q2 Something you associate with spring
For Ten Points
Crocuses, Daffodils, lambs, Robins, “American Idol" TV show, AP Exams, dandelions, My birthday
For Five Points
Ten points to all
Not mentioned
Easter, choccolate, chickens and more

Q3 A sport played with a ball
For Ten Points
Tetherball, Squash, Water Polo, Lacrosse, Whiffle Ball, 4-squared, Jai alai, Table Tennis,
For Five Points
Ten points to all
Not mentioned
Football, Rugby, Cricket and more

Q4 A type of bread
For Ten Points
Pistachio Bread, Tiger bread, Muffuletta , Pumpernickel, Zucchini Bread, Matzo, Mollete, Pita bread,
For Five Points
Ten points to all
Not mentioned
Banana bread, Brown bread, French stick and more

Q5 A type of footwear
For Ten Points
Galoshes, Wellington Boots, Waders, Penny loafers, Stilettos, Ballet slippers, Duck shoes, Moccasin,
For Five Points
Ten points to all
Not mentioned
Slippers, Trainers, Tap shoes and more

SCORES - 8 Competitors
Brandz_mygirl – 50
Denni – 45
Gatsby – 45
Gsmoke827 – 45
Lizard_Wizard – 45
maninmidohio - 45
Mugaboo – 45
Szabs – 45

A close round with brandz_mygirl just winning Well Done all

#411755 - Mon Mar 31 2008 11:19 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 27 will close in a little less than 24 hours...

#411756 - Tue Apr 01 2008 11:19 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 27 Results

8 players entered this round…

1. Please name a mathematician honored on the Eiffel Tower.

For 10 points: Jean-Baptiste-Charles-Joseph Bélanger, Louis Poinsot, Pierre-Simon Laplace, Simeon Poisson

For 5 points: Augustin Louis Cauchy (4)

Not mentioned: Joseph Louis Lagrange, André-Marie Ampère, Claude-Louis Marie Henri Navier, François Perrier, and others

2. Please give me the name of a blood disease that compromises the red blood cells.

For 10 points: Hereditary pyropoikilocytosis (HPP), Polycythemia vera, Brown blood disease (nitrite poisoning), Sideroblastic anemia, Spherocytosis, Pure red cell aplasia, Thalassemia, Hereditary spherocytosis (listed in several places as being distinct from spherocytosis)

For 5 points: none

Not mentioned: Iron deficiency anemia and Sickle-cell disease, among others

3. Please select an individual involved in the Apollo 11 mission belonging to the flight, backup, flight directors, or support crew.

For 10 points: Bruce McCandless II, Fred W. Haise, Jr., Jack Swigert, Harrison Schmitt

For 5 points: Charles Moss Duke, Jr. (2), Owen K. Garriott (2)

Not mentioned: Ronald Evans, Don L. Lind, Ken Mattingly, and others

4. Please choose a word of four or more letters from the title of any of Wright’s four books.

For 10 points: Reveries

For 5 points: Thoughts (2), Bluejacket (3), They (2)

Not mentioned: Gadsby, Wonderful, Fairies, World, American

5. Please tell me another top-ten movie from this non-Oscar winning list of fantastic films.

For 10 points: "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

For 5 points: "The Great Escape" (2), "2001: A Space Odyssey" (3), "ET the Extra-Terrestrial" (2)

Not Mentioned: "The Shawshank Redemption," "The Wizard of Oz," "Some Like It Hot," "The Color Purple," "Psycho"

Scores:

With 45 points: gsmoke827, LeoDaVinci
With 40 points: szabs
With 35 points: maninmidohio, denni19
With 30 points: brandz_mygirl, Mugaboo, Gatsby722

Congratulations to gsmoke827 and LeoDaVinci for earning one March trivia point each!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#411757 - Wed Apr 02 2008 01:19 PM Re: March Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Round 29 Results

1. On March 29, 1886, Dr. John Pemberton brewed the first batch of Coca-Cola in a backyard in Atlanta, Georgia. Name any variety of Coca-Cola.

For 10 points - Coca-Cola Black Cherry Vanilla, Diet Coke Vanilla, Coca-Cola C2

5 points - Diet Coke (Coca-Cola Light)with Lemon (2), Coca-Cola with Lime (2)

2. On March 29, 2004, 7 countries joined NATO as full members. Name any of them.

For 10 points - Estonia

5 points - Slovakia (2), Slovenia (2), Bulgaria (2)

The other 3 are Romania, Latvia, and Lithuania.

3. On March 29, 1961, American actress and comedienne Amy Sedaris was born. Please name any film (not for TV) she has appeared in.

For 10 points - Bewitched, Maid in Manhattan, Elf, Chicken Little, Jump Tomorrow

5 points - School of Rock (2)

4. On March 29, 1788, Charles Wesley, leader of the Methodist movement, died. Please name a hymn that he wrote the words to.

For 10 points - Give Me the Faith Which Can Remove; Jesus, The Name High Over All; Thou Judge of Quick and Dead; O, For a Thousand Tongues to Sing; Blest Be the Dear Uniting Love

5 points - I Want a Principle Within (2)

5. On March 29, 1992 Austrian actor and director Paul Henreid died. Name any film that he acted in during the 1930's or 1940's.

For 10 points - Between Two Worlds, In Our Time, Joan of Paris, Hohe Schule, An Englishman's Home

5 points - The Spanish Main (2)

Scores

Thanks to the 7 players who showed up this time!
Nakarinna is our winner, with 45 points!
40 points - Mugaboo, denni, maninmidohio, brandz_mygirl
35 points - Gatsby
30 points - szabs

#411758 - Thu Apr 03 2008 03:44 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 28 Answers
8 Marvellous players participated in this round dedicated to POGO

1. Pogo was the title and central character of a long-running (1948-75) daily comic strip created by Walt Kelly. From this site please give me the name of a permanent resident in the strip.

For 10 Points: Miss Mam'selle Hepzibah, Porky Pine, Dr. Howland Owl
For 5 Points: Beauregard Chaulmoogra Frontenac de Montmingle Bugleboy (2), Churchill "Churchy" LaFemme (3)

The other permanent residents are:Pogo Possum, Albert Alligator, Miz Beaver, Deacon Mushrat, Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered, Grundoon

2.The Project On Government Oversight (POGO) is an independent non profit organization that investigates and exposes corruption and other misconduct. From this page please give me the name of any Contract Oversight Investigations

10 Points for Everyone : Lead System Intergrators, Human Trafficking , Pell Grant Program, Government Privatization, Katrina Contracting, Federal Contracting Resources, Contractor Accountability, Faulty Aircraft Wiring.

Among others : Acquisition Reform, Contractor Sweetheart Deals, Defense Contractor Scandals, The Drug Industry

3. The Partnership for Observation of the Global Oceans, POGO, is a forum created by directors and leaders of major oceanographic institutions around the world to promote global oceanography. From this site please give me one of the reasons (summarized) for Why Ocean Observations?

For 10 Points: Satellite-based Fishing, Climate Change Biodiversity Productivity and Volunteer Observing Ships, Climate change and natural distributions of endangered and commercial ocean species, El Niño and Earth Observations.
For 5 Points Rapid Assessment of Marine Pollution(2), Harmful Algal Blooms in Cardigan Bay(2)

Among Others: Among others: Harmful algal blooms endanger human lives, Minimizing loss of coral reef , Ecosystem Fluctuations , Species invasions.

4. Ogopogo is the name given to a snake like lake monster reported to live in Lake Okanagan in British Columbia, Canada. Ogopogo even has a song about him “Just a Lonely Ogopogo” from this page , please give me the last word of any line in the song.

For 10 Points: Shore, Two, Play, Say, Know
For 5 Points: There (3)

The others were: Grow, Fair, Blue, Agree, Heart, Too

5. Finally staying with the POGO theme, please give me a four or more letter word using the letters in Walt Kelly.
For 10 Points: Tweak, Weal, Lately, Yawl
For 5 Points Welt (4)

Among others: LEALTY WALLET WEAKLY ALLEY LEAKY TALLY WETLY ALLY KALE LAKE LATE LEAK TAKE TALE TALK TALL TEAK TEAL TELL WAKE WALK WALL WEAK YELL

Scores
With 50 points: Gatsby722
With 45 points: Nakarina
With 40 points: Lizard_Wizard , Maninmidohio, Mugaboo
With 35 points: brandz_mygirl, Denni19, GSmoke1205

Congratulations to Gatsby for scoring a perfect 50 points and picking up a point for April, thank you to all for playing.

#411759 - Thu Apr 03 2008 08:33 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Looks like it's now 24 hours to go for Round 31 ....

#411760 - Fri Apr 04 2008 10:19 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 31 - Wednesday
"March Miscellany"
Seven daring players took part (thank you !)

1. Over on 'Helium' a contributor (named 'The World's Sage') has listed 12 of The Best Comebacks for Insults in a popular/historical sense. Please tell me one of those (perfectly delivered) comebacks, please.

For 10 Points: (Everybody!)
"History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." (said by Abba Eban); "Hollywood is a place where people from Iowa mistake each other for stars." (Fred Allen); "If white bread could sing, it would sound like Olivia Newton-John." (Anonymous); "Man is a clever animal who behaves like an imbecile." (Albert Schweitzer); "...The only man who ran away from the circus to become an accountant" (re: John Major); "The only reason so many people showed up at his funeral was because they wanted to make sure he was dead." (Louis B. Mayer); "Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and cutting hair." (George Burns)

2. "Don't Shake!" attempts to warn people about the perils of mishandling (for whatever reason) the frail structure of a child and their website gives a list of Common Symptoms of Shaken Baby Syndrome. I'd like to know one of those 'symptoms', OK?

For 10 Points:
Difficulty breathing, Grab-type bruises on arms or chest are rare, Head or forehead appears larger than usual or soft-spot on head appears to be bulging
For 5 Points:
No smiling or vocalization (2), Poor sucking or swallowing (2)

Lethargy / decreased muscle tone, Extreme irritability, Decreased appetite / poor feeding or vomiting for no apparent reason, Rigidity or posturing, Seizures, Inability to lift head and Inability of eyes to focus or track movement or unequal size of pupils are the other 'red flags'.

3. Besides "Hallelujah", kindly tell me a track off of Buckley's "Live at L'Olympia". Thanks!

For 10 Points:
Eternal Life; Je N'en Connais Pas la Fin; Lover, You Should've Come Over
For 5 Points:
Dream Brother (2); Kashmir (2)

Which leaves "Kick Out the Jams", "Lilac Wine", "Grace", "That's All I Ask" and "What Will You Say" as the remaining tunes on the album.

4. Trace Adkins was fighting for the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network. That group lists eight foods that account for 90% of all food-allergic reactions. Tell me one of 'em.

For 10 Points:
Egg, Fish, Peanuts, Shellfish, Soy
For 5 Points:
Milk (2)

Tree Nuts and Wheat were the other two.

5. To close, could you please tell me a word (5 letters or more) that appears in the LAST sentence of Thomas More's "De Optimo Republicae Statu deque Nova Insula Utopia", or familiarly, "Utopia" (as translated by Gilbert Burnet)?

The final sentence (*fitting* answers underlined): However, there are many things in the commonwealth of Utopia that I rather wish, than hope, to see followed in our governments.

For 10 Points:
However, Utopia
For 5 Points:
Followed (3), Rather (2)

The Results!

50 Points! .... nakarinna [excellent showing! ]
45 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, maninmidohio
35 Points! .... denni19, Mugaboo, zorba_scank
30 Points! .... szabs

Close, as always! Congrats to nakarinna for another perfect score ~ and the monthly point that comes with it. Thank you all for taking the time out of your busy day(s) to play, too! See you in a day or three....

#411761 - Mon Apr 07 2008 04:26 AM Re: March Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Okey dokey . To the best of my calculating skills, here are the results for March 2008:

1. nakarinna - 8 Points
2. brandz_mygirl
....maninmidohio - both 5 Points
4. gsmoke827
....Gatsby722 - both 4 Points
6. zorba_scank - 3 Points
7. cinnamOn
....denni19
....Mugaboo
....szabs - all 2 Points
11. Jafato
......LeoDaVinci