Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#412297 - Wed Mar 05 2008 04:46 AM Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
High yesterday was receiving not one but two boxes of gorgeous chocolates. Low was finding out that my medical negligence case might fold.

#412298 - Wed Mar 05 2008 10:28 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia
That's not good, Sue.

My low is I may see more snow, and I'm ready for spring. It's March now...time to pack the cold weather gear away! We had about an inch on Monday, and a 2nd in less than a week...?

#412299 - Thu Mar 06 2008 03:15 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
I didn't pehaps make my yesterday high very clear, only one box of chocolates ought to have been delivered but the company made a mistake due to my son-in-law changing the order from normal delivery to express, they sent both. When contacted, the company said to keep the extra box as a gesture of goodwill.

#412300 - Thu Mar 06 2008 05:07 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Adelaide South Australia    
A definite low for me this week. The school computers had a virus, and I was working on them at lunch time, to put the finished touches on an assignment due tomorrow. I finished, saved, but didn't print. I then tried to re-open the file to show someone, to find that it had been corrupted by the virus.

It would have been fine maybe if it was a one page assignment, at least it wasn't an essay - but there were 8 pages of text!
Luckily I had a draft saved, with just the text. But I still have spent 3 hours on it tonight.
I think the IT guys at the school should definitely get rid of it, especially it it's corrupting files. It's not like its a new thing either, it's been around for weeks, and it seems that everyone but me and the IT guys know about it.

I will back up my files in future.

My high for this week: I've finished it.

#412301 - Thu Mar 06 2008 01:05 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
rayven80 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ft. Collins Colorado USA    
Glad you finished Lioness.

My high for the week is I got to go to the Nuggets game. My sister's friend had a ticket she couldn't use. Another is I started seeds in the house. It's too cold to plant outside but I couldn't wait any more.

The low is I have to go back to work.

#412302 - Thu Mar 06 2008 10:14 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
nic1990 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: South Australia
My highlight of the week has been deciding to make the move, from Adelaide, to Brisbane (Queenslanders, look out ) for 6 months, with my other half, in order for him to spend some time with his family.
I'm quite looking forward to a scenary change .. But i'll be whinging soon, that it's too hot!

That been said, it's a bit of a low for me as well; having to leave behind everything here.

Another low as well: Adelaide is going through a bit of a heat-wave at the moment, so the air-conditioner has been running non-stop!. Unfortunatly, we didn't clean the filter out, and it leaked overnight .. Right onto my brand new mobile phone. It's beyond repair, so i'm a bit annoyed about that.

But, oh well.

#412303 - Fri Mar 07 2008 01:18 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Quote:

Another low as well: Adelaide is going through a bit of a heat-wave at the moment,

Most definitely, I heard the weather this morning, and we were hotter than Alice Springs.

#412304 - Fri Mar 07 2008 08:46 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
My *high* of the day is just weird weird weird, I think - because it's really a major low. Jeesh. A "low with benefits", though, I think?

I've fallen into a slightly large abyss in the past couple of years, I'm afraid. I can just feel it sometimes. This odd place of "apathy". It's often as if I'm afraid to "feel" anything - or, if 'afraid' is the wrong word, maybe 'instinctively unwilling' works better. Tough season, some would say (but I assure you, I've had much worse) but, to me, it's all been so centered, somewhat clinical, by-the-book (and an odd-ish book indeed) in terms of information, stumuli, expectations, compartmentalizations and (if I may say so) crap. Some of all those things is just "life", as it happens. To everybody. We all have "stuff" to handle and cope with and drudge through; we just paint it using different numbers. But *and I said so at twenty and I say so at fifty* apathy is NOT good. It's nothing better than being a zombie in a George Romero movie. I've always enjoyed the challenges of being right half the time and so wrong it makes dogs howl the other half (both sides of the coin are pretty fun, not to mention educational , in my opinion). But apathy? Cold hard columns of "positives" and "negatives". Nope. That was never a destination I found worth one tiny damn. And (it occurred to me last night, for some reason) I've pretty much reached Apathy-ville anyway. Without even trying to. I was NOT pleased to realize it, either.

Now (after all that dreck) comes the (*um?*) "high" point: today they are burying a young policeman in Cleveland, a decent family man/dutiful civil servant who was shot to death on duty. And I didn't feel apathetic anymore, as I watched. I felt sad, sick, scared, disjointed, unconnected (to so many parts of the human condition) and vulnerable. It hit me like a truck, all those feelings. Scared the dickens right out of me, too. BUT, now, I am so glad that those feelings found me again. There's something 'right' about having them. I don't like (at all) the reasons/circumstances that caused them to land, but I'm so glad I had no phantom list to write them on this time. I cried a little (and I felt justified to do that, albeit for a dead cop, two small children looking mighty confused and a lovely young wife who held her head up higher than somebody told her that 'high' could ever be - all people I'd never had the privelege to actually know). I felt like part of something large and free of useful adjectives or sensible motives. I felt connected without passionlessness. Some blessing in that, I have to say...

And so sorry to ramble so. But *sigh*, THAT was my high point of life in Gatsbyland today ~ a high sparked by a low? Never mind me. I think too much sometimes. When I'm not thinking enough, that is ....

#412305 - Sun Mar 09 2008 05:20 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

A massive high for this week. I was in a ballroom dancing competition this weekend, and my partner and I did very well. He got 3 firsts, 3 seconds, 2 thirds, and a fifth. I got 4 firsts, 2 seconds, 1 third, 1 fifth, and 1 seventh.

In all of these there were at least 3 people competing for me, and 2 for him. Most of our competition have been dancing for more than 4 years, and we have only been dancing about 9 months.

The dances we were in were the Merrilyn, Evening 3 Step, Waltz, tangoette, Bossa Nova Blues,Festival Gilde, Evergreen Waltz, Cha Cha, Rumba, Mambo, and solo E3S and Merrilyn.

A low, I was stuck in the hall all day with a good air conditioner, but when we went somewhere where the eair conditioner wasn't, we broke out in a sweat immediately.

#412306 - Sun Mar 09 2008 05:50 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South Africa          
Congratulations lioness. What a good score for such a short time of dancing.

#412307 - Sun Mar 09 2008 03:52 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
rayven80 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ft. Collins Colorado USA    
My high of the week was me and Dad went to the Frozen Dead Guy days in Nederland. It's a great time but unfortunatly, work wouldn't give me the next day off so we had to leave in the middle.
Yet again, the low is work.

#412308 - Sun Mar 09 2008 04:47 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Gatsby, all of us are apathetic (most of the time , in my case).
What worries me about you is this... BBC report
I hope you are OK.

#412309 - Mon Mar 10 2008 09:57 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
This morning our beloved chinchilla cat Aramis departed this life. He had been very ill recently, and was obviously suffering, so we asked the vet to humanely end his life.
He was exactly 18 years old, which is a good age for a pedigree cat, and the vet said that he'd obviously been well looked after and loved.
We held him while he received an overdose of anaesthetic, and he simply fell asleep without any suffering.
He'll be cremated and his ashes scattered in the garden where he spent most of his time in summer. I've posted his image in photo-a-day.
Farewell Aramis ......... sadly missed

#412310 - Mon Mar 10 2008 10:06 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Awww. So sorry about your feline family member, picqero . As I always do at times like this, I am lighting a candle in his honor.

And, while I'm here, I'll report, too, that the snow in Ohio has finally stopped falling. I think? At the moment, all is well...

#412311 - Mon Mar 10 2008 10:10 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
I hurt for you and your family, picqero. May God rest your friend's furry little soul.
I know from experience how awful this is.

#412312 - Mon Mar 10 2008 10:48 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
BurgGurl Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Virginia USA
Bless his heart. He was obviously well-loved and will be missed but his suffering is at an end. I also know from personal experience how difficult it is to make that choice.

#412313 - Mon Mar 10 2008 01:03 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
That is so sad, he was a very beautiful cat and obviously so well loved.

#412314 - Mon Mar 10 2008 01:09 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
minkpenny Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Buenos Aires
Argentina    ...
I'm sorry to hear about your cat Aramis, Picqero. He was beautiful and you can really see he was very well loved.

#412315 - Mon Mar 10 2008 02:22 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Sorry to hear it picqero, he clearly had a good and long life, and our half Persian Snowy died just short of his 18th birthday many years ago. Unfortunately our second cat suffered the same trip when he became too ill to cope. Always a very sad time.

#412316 - Mon Mar 10 2008 03:17 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
Thanks everyone for your kind posts. We both miss Aramis far more than we'd ever imagined we would. He'd been ill for about a month, though not obviously serious. In the past week though he'd deteriorated rapidly, and the vet agreed that he'd reached the end.
He was a popular cat, and we never had a problem getting people to care for him if we were away, so we aren't the only ones who will miss him.
Link to image.

#412317 - Mon Mar 10 2008 06:58 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
I'm so sorry to hear about Aramis, Picqero. It just tears out my heart to hear of anyone losing their precious companions. He was a cool looking cat.

#412318 - Tue Mar 11 2008 05:42 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
He was so beautiful, Picqero - and huge! My condolences on your loss!

#412319 - Tue Mar 11 2008 07:51 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South Africa          
So sorry to hear about your cat Aramis, Picqero. It is hard when one looses a pet but 18 is a pretty long life for a cat. Our cat is 14 and although she seems quite healthy still, I know she will not be around much longer.

To add to my low of last week. We took our 2 remaining jack russels to the vet yesterday as they were not eating. He did some tests and found the one had a liver problem but was on the mend. The second one Dot had an extremely hight liver count (1,200 instead of 200). He thinks they have been eating mushrooms or the cycad we have growing in the garden. Both are toxic and the toxins affect their liver. Sadly we lost our large dog Buster in Dec 2006 from a very enlarged liver. We now think his death may have been due to the same thing.

#412320 - Tue Mar 11 2008 10:16 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
Flynn_17 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hull Yorkshire England UK     
The definite low of the week was being diagnosed with HIV last Wednesday, followed by finding out on the Thursday that I had actually caught it from work. So I'm not entirely sure what to do now, I foresee a long week on the phone to the lovely Covance to see what they think I should do about it.

#412321 - Tue Mar 11 2008 11:13 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Oh *gulp*, Flynn! (While it really doesn't change the color of the crayons) How do you know, for sure, you were infected at work? If that is the case (and if it's certain), it's a VERY frightening scenario indeed. I'm assuming there are many employees at your job who may be in the same predicament as you are, or possibly so?

All that aside, though ... collect ALL the information from every source you can find as you progress with your health. HIV is so much more manageable these days than it was when I was younger. Knowledge is power (which I'm sure you know already). And power is longevity. Best of luck to you as this lands (you must still be, pretty much, reeling from the news).
You probably ought to get tested again, too, yes? Assuming you've only had one result, that is, so far. Can't hurt.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943