Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#412322 - Tue Mar 11 2008 11:14 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
That is dreadful news. Please see my PM to you.

#412323 - Tue Mar 11 2008 11:25 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
Quote:

You probably ought to get tested again, too, yes? Assuming you've only had one result, that is, so far. Can't hurt.

A fine idea, Flynn. I know it's hard to be calm, but try to relax enough so you can consider your options and what you should do next.
My thoughts are with you.

#412324 - Tue Mar 11 2008 05:19 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
Flynn_17 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hull Yorkshire England UK     
I've had four tests so far, and I'm waiting on the results of the fifth now, although I'm not trying to be optimistic about it. Tomorrow, I'm going to go for some counts on my CD4 and CD8 white cells, which will make it easier to pinpoint exactly when I got it. The advice I've gotten from my counsellor so far, however, has made me sure that I must have got it from work. This may not be the place to mention it, but I don't exactly have a full and fun life in that department. The only thing that's cheered me up a little is that my partner has come back negative. That was a huge load off my mind.

And you know, so far, I've managed to stay calmer than I ever thought I could. Maybe it's more a feeling of complete numbness and helplessness at the moment, but I'm keeping busy. You have to. My University course, however, won't be much help when I get back there - Immunology. It's bad enough having a base knowledge of how it works. I do not want to go into detail.

Thanks for all your wishes and support though, guys. I'm getting on to solicitors from Thursday and I will keep you posted.

#412325 - Tue Mar 11 2008 06:30 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Such bad news Flynn, but good news that your partner has tested negative. Like Gats said, it's so much more manageable now and my prayers go out to you this day. Best wishes and you know you'll have a great support system from us at FT.

#412326 - Wed Mar 12 2008 01:22 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South Africa          
My thoughts and best wishes are with you Flynn. You have not said where you work but I would think your place of work should protect you from infection. Glad your partner is negative.

#412327 - Wed Mar 12 2008 03:19 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Just to say really sorry to hear about your Lowlight, Flynn. Everyone is thinking about you.

#412328 - Wed Mar 12 2008 03:48 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
nic1990 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: South Australia
Flynn, i too, extend my thoughts and prayers to you at this time.

It is good news that your partner is negative, but i know that you will be supported through this.

#412329 - Thu Mar 13 2008 09:08 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
So very sorry to learn about your appalling news Flynn. There must surely have been serious lapses in safety and security for you have caught this whilst working, but as the matter is now in legal hands, you mustn't give any details without their approval.
It is certainly a devastating low, and we all hope that you can find some way to be positive about the future.

#412330 - Fri Mar 14 2008 12:29 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
rayven80 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ft. Collins Colorado USA    
Thinking of you Flynn. If you need anything, just say the word.

#412331 - Mon Mar 17 2008 06:44 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Adelaide South Australia    
I am really sorry to hear that Flynn.

#412332 - Mon Mar 17 2008 12:39 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Flynn, I am very, very sorry you're having to face such terrible times. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

#412333 - Mon Mar 17 2008 02:13 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Terrible news, and I hope all the new treatments I've heard about all do a good job and keep you healthy.

#412334 - Wed Mar 19 2008 05:00 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
Flynn_17 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hull Yorkshire England UK     
I got some results today. I hope you don't mind that I'm copying and pasting this from my HIV-related blog, but here we go.

Today, I got some results back, and as is general form, Amy came to wait with me. I wouldn’t have minded half as much if the wait hadn’t been one of an hour and a half. I would have minded less if my appointment hadn’t been at 2:45. And I would have been totally fine if I hadn’t have had to go through all of that for a 20 minute consultation and a physical. But that’s the National Health Service for you.

I had a fairly decent physician today, though. She was about mid thirties with a good manner about her. She agreed that my counsellor in Hull is feckless and should be put down, and that my GP clearly has Münchausen’s-by-proxy. Which is nice. So then we got down to some talking, and the results came out. I won’t bore you with all of them, because I had about 13 blood titres taken and it would be a waste of space here, so the two most important ones are down there.

CD4 count - 330 (This is low, and the next result made me wonder why.)
Viral Load - 625 (This is actually very low, which Is why I was wondering about the CD4, but anyway…)

The viral load is worked out on a log system – that is to say, it goes up in multiples of ten. So you have 10, 100, 1000, 10,000, etc. Having said this, 625 is a fairly low count. It also means that I probably haven’t had this very long, which is maybe a good thing. The CD4 count being so low, however, means that the subject of treatment was broached. To be honest, I probably won’t need treatment until my CD4 count is less than about 250, but it’s nice to know that I might need a soon. Do I mean nice? No, I think I mean useful. Of course, it’s hard to make a full assessment of a CD4 count using only one blood titre, as throughout the course of HIV, my CD4 will fluctuate. It will go up, stabilise, then have a rapid drop. Wash, rinse, repeat. But enough of that. The biology of this disease is probably the last thing any sufferer wants to have to read about.

The physical was the usual. I had my eyes checked, throat checked, was pokes and prodded in the chest and abdomen, had my stomach cyst grabbed and twisted. And then I was told I would have to go and have a routine chest X-ray. So off me and Amy toddled to the LGI X-ray department, for another 15 minute wait, followed by possible the quickest “shirt-off-stand-there-we’re-done” procedure I’ve ever been through. And so it was done. And then I had two pints of cider and black.

#412335 - Wed Mar 19 2008 06:09 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ohio USA         
I don't know if these are the right words to use in the situation, but those are actually 'good numbers', Flynn. I have many, many years of dealing with this disease in the hospital setting. I am very sorry to hear you had to go for the testing to begin with, ergo the 'good numbers' statement not being appropriate. You are in my thoughts and I wish you the best treatment you can possibly get.

#412336 - Thu Mar 20 2008 01:41 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Adelaide South Australia    
Flynn, I'm not sure what to say, because I don't know much about the disease or what the numbers mean, but my thoughts are with you.

My high for this week is that my house won sports day for the first time in 10 years!

#412337 - Thu Mar 20 2008 01:42 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Our low yesterday was finding out our gardner who has worked for us for more than 10 years has TB. He did not tell us, and suppose if he chooses not to that is his perogative, but it is assumed that if he has TB there is a 99.9% chance he also has AIDS.
He is a very hard worker, supports his parents (in Zimbabwe) as well as his wife and children here in SA, and helps his family members in SA when they are short of funds.
Very sad.

#412338 - Thu Mar 20 2008 08:14 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
If it is 'just' TB then antibiotics can work wonders but if it is full blown AIDS in SA then I guess the drugs necessary won't be so readily available or affordable.

#412339 - Thu Mar 20 2008 08:37 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

I think he has had both for some time. He was mis-diagnosed and treated for asthma for some time by a government doctor. They never even took any x-rays. Finally went to see a private doctor (at our and another familys' expense).
He may be able to receive treatment through the government clinic but I have a feeling it is just too late.

#412340 - Thu Mar 20 2008 09:30 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

It's 3.00am but I can't sleep. We received some shocking news yesterday of the death of a young man who has done a lot of garden landscape work for us. He was always cheerful, hardworking and reliable and entirely trustworthy. His name was Daniel and he came from a family with strong Christian beliefs. He'd recently got engaged to be married and there are some photos of him with his fiancee, just a week before his death which was from a heart defect.
Daniel's brother Andrew died in 1997, just 16 years of age, and in apparently good health right up to his death. It just seems so tragic and unfair that decent families like those of Daniel and Andrew suffer such devastating losses, yet still have the faith, strength, and courage to overcome their grief.

#412341 - Fri Mar 21 2008 02:47 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
That is a real shame Picquero. My thoughts are with the young man's family

#412342 - Fri Mar 21 2008 07:30 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
That is horrid news. Once his brother died tests ought to have been done on his siblings to see if they had a similar condition. Tragic.

#412343 - Fri Mar 21 2008 12:07 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

I've also had highs this week, though definitely put into the shade by the low described above. Last week-end we were in Wales, where we attended the annual dinner of the Ceunant mountaineering club. The dress theme was the circus, and everyone made an effort to comply, which was hilarious. I went as a clown, and I'm one of this trio of clowns though you'll have to guess which one is me

#412344 - Fri Mar 21 2008 12:36 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
JuniorTheJaws Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South Philadelphia PA USA    
Picqero, you are the clown with the multi-coloured bow tie, yes?

#412345 - Fri Mar 21 2008 01:17 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ohio USA         
I am so sorry to hear the news of Daniel, picqero. I cannot imagine the loss of one child, let alone two. It sounds as if he made a huge difference in the world in his short time here. This is when I have to remind myself that I am not meant to understand why certain things happen, they simply do, and I need to be grateful for what I have in the here and now. Sandy

#412346 - Fri Mar 21 2008 01:20 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
gsmoke827 Offline
Participant

Loc: Michigan USA
Picqero, I was saddened to read of the loss of Daniel. He looked like a happy, good person. This is such a tragedy. Please, if it makes sense at all, send condolences on behalf of this stranger called GSmoke827.

On a lighter note, wow. A clown, huh? I'll go with the one in the middle being you?

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943