Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#414808 - Sat Mar 22 2008 01:22 AM Photo posting problems.
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
Some contributors to the photo threads are having trouble with resizing photos on PhotoBucket. This and other problems regarding the posting of photos could be discussed here. Maybe others can offer help? I haven't tried PhotoBucket's resizing since the changes to the site were made. The only difference I've noticed is an extra stage to the uploading procedure. I'll try resizing a photo to see how it goes.

Reducing the photo's size before uploading it to PhotoBucket could be the answer. Photo editing programs (free or paid) are capable of doing this. It can take a little trial and error to get the hang of resizing but at least the results can be seen before the photo is uploaded ..and there are no frustrations with resizing online.

#414809 - Sat Mar 22 2008 03:02 AM Re: Photo posting problems.
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
I'm a pretty 'basic' user, but haven't experienced any problem with the new photobucket system. If anything it seems both easier and faster to use, but that might be because I use a mac, not a pc. I'm sure the upload/resize/download procedure must be the same for both pc's and mac's, and this is what I do:-
1. Log in to photobucket.
2. click 'browse', then select image to be uploaded.
3. type in filename.
4. click 'upload', and wait for image to upload. This will depend on the filesize and your local browser speed.
5. type any additional information in the 'description' box, then click 'save and continue'.
6. on newly uploaded image, click 'edit'.
7. wait for image to appear, then click 'resize'.
8. on 'Preset sizes' box, arrow down and select 'Website (320x240) and click.
9. click 'save'
10. click 'Overwrite existing imge'.
11. copy IMG Code to desktop as before, and upload to Funtrivia exactly as before.
Note: sometimes the Funtrivia image, shows as full size after posting. This reduces to the smaller web size simply by clicking the reload/refresh icon on your browser.
I've written, I think, every step in the process, and hope this helps. Most of the above actions only take a second or two, and the whole process takes only a minute or two - again depending on your browser speed.

Edited by picqero (Sat Mar 22 2008 03:57 AM)

#414810 - Sat Mar 22 2008 03:46 AM Re: Photo posting problems.
lilyalli Offline
Prolific

Loc: Norfolk UK      
I've had no bother after the initial problems. Sometimes I use http://gui.picresize.com/picresize2/ and save to my computer and then post the reduced image on photobucket.

#414811 - Sat Mar 22 2008 07:24 AM Re: Photo posting problems.
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
I do everything exactly as picqero describes, with the exception that somewhere around step 5,6,7, or 8 (all of which take at least three times as long as before the improvements) my browser crashes, closing all windows and meaning that I have to begin again, and get back to the edit page with fingers crossed that the same thing won't happen again. If it happens more than twice, I give up.

I already resize my pics before uploading, always have done, so that won't help.

Granted, it is a few days since I have tried, so perhaps it will have settled down. If not, I'll try lilyalli's suggestion. Thanks for that

#414812 - Sat Mar 22 2008 07:42 AM Re: Photo posting problems.
BurgGurl Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Virginia USA
I have experienced a few problems as well. Repeatedly I'd post the resized photo link only to have to the full size appear, so I would have to post a link to the URL instead of an image. It's happened only about four times, but still it's troublesome. Since Photobucket changed its site I've also experienced the same issues Spanishliz has with my browser crashing and reloading and having to repeat the same vicious cycle about three times before being able to achieve my desired results. Half an hour goes by when it used to only take a few short minutes!

This is why I like to use Flickr instead, the difference there is that the size choices are different.

#414813 - Sat Mar 22 2008 07:50 AM Re: Photo posting problems.
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
I do exactly what Picquero does with no problems at all.

#414814 - Sat Mar 22 2008 08:23 AM Re: Photo posting problems.
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Does everyone do a little house-keeping? It's sometimes as well to eliminate a bloated cache from being the cause of problems by deleting the Temporary Internet Files once in a while. Although other things shouldn't make a difference in theory, it's best to keep the computer in good condition by removing the Temp files and defragmenting the hard drive periodically.

Perhaps consider installing a second browser so that if you experience difficulty with one browser, you can always try another to see if the problem lies there.

#414815 - Sat Mar 22 2008 08:37 AM Re: Photo posting problems.
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

I was thinking that a second browser might not be a bad idea. Surely a bloated cache would have caused problems before though?

One thing I have noticed is that the fewer windows I have open, the less likely a browser crash is (though it has happened on Photobucket with just one window open). Morning also seems to be a better time, though that could just be a patience factor...

All of that said, I have just managed to upload and resize a photo with no problems at all, and not much slower than before the changes, so perhaps all will be well? Fingers crossed...

#414816 - Sat Mar 22 2008 09:08 AM Re: Photo posting problems.
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Ha! Spoke way too soon. Encouraged, I attempted to resize a photo for the Weekly Theme thread. Browser crashed twice. Cleared Temporary Internet Files. Browser crashed. Going to try once more before looking for a new browser...

(All of this in the morning, with only one or two windows open, so there goes that theory of mine...)

#414817 - Sat Mar 22 2008 09:43 AM Re: Photo posting problems.
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

After one more crash (IE, of course) downloaded Firefox. Downloaded newest version of Flash, because new improved Photobucket wanted me to (using Firefox). Worked first time, yay! Reserving judgment until it works many times in a row...

#414818 - Sat Mar 22 2008 10:39 AM Re: Photo posting problems.
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
Quote:

I have experienced a few problems as well. Repeatedly I'd post the resized photo link only to have to the full size appear, so I would have to post a link to the URL instead of an image. It's happened only about four times, but still it's troublesome.

BurgGurl, have you tried simply refreshing the Funtrivia page after uploading your image. The full size image should then be replaced by the reduced image.

#414819 - Sat Mar 22 2008 10:44 AM Re: Photo posting problems.
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Can't stand IE, it's always crashing on me...

#414820 - Sat Mar 22 2008 01:20 PM Re: Photo posting problems.
minkpenny Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Buenos Aires
Argentina    ...
I have the same problems Liz has when trying to resize a picture with Photobucket... I've tried at least three times but it keeps doing the same. I guess I will try and resize the picture before uploading it.

#414821 - Sat Mar 22 2008 01:42 PM Re: Photo posting problems.
minkpenny Offline
Mainstay

Argentina    ...
Well, what do you know... it seems to be working now! Fingers crossed...

#414822 - Sat Mar 22 2008 01:55 PM Re: Photo posting problems.
minkpenny Offline
Mainstay

Argentina    ...
I guess I spoke too soon Now when I try to post the picture, it comes up very big, but I did resize the picture. Why is that happening?

#414823 - Sat Mar 22 2008 02:47 PM Re: Photo posting problems.
lilyalli Offline
Prolific

Loc: Norfolk UK      
I found this on Photobucket Forums - lots of hiccups all round with this new editing so they have decided, following feedback, on option of either old or new version. You do not have to use the new version if it's causing problems.

"The new editor requires current versions of flash and java. The old resize and rotate functions do not.

To get to the old resize and rotate you need to click on the thumbnail to get to the full sized version of the image."

If you wish to persevere with new version.....

"Flash - Even though your system may be telling you that you have the latest version - please try uninstalling and re-installing.
uninstall:
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14157
reinstall:
http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash

Make sure that your java platform is up to date
You can check to see what java version you have here
http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp
If necessary you can download the latest version here
http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Make sure that you have javascript enabled
http://forums.photobucket.com/showthread.php?t=23430

Make sure you do not have duplicate versions of the above two programs installed. Delete all but the current version.

Make sure you have cleared your cache etc as outlined here
http://forums.photobucket.com/showthread.php?t=23437

and then reboot your computer."

I have recently updated, removing old versions, so maybe that's why I'm not getting the problems.

Edited by lilyalli (Sat Mar 22 2008 02:49 PM)

#414824 - Sat Mar 22 2008 11:25 PM Re: Photo posting problems.
minkpenny Offline
Mainstay

Argentina    ...
Thanks so much for posting that, lilyalli It's working now, yay!

#414825 - Sun Mar 23 2008 12:36 AM Re: Photo posting problems.
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Well done Lilyalli and many thanks to Picqero for providing precise instructions on PhotoBucket's usage . Perhaps future updates of Flash and Java won't affect PhotoBucket since the working of the site is based on the latest/current ones. You never know though and it is best to check that the latest players are installed periodically. Putting aside any security reasons for keeping up to date, not having the latest software may affect whether other websites work.

There is always this tool to advise of later versions of software (mentioned in this thread a while ago). The utility should compare your current installed software with the very latest versions available and advise accordingly.

Alternatively, the links in lilyalli's post can always used for future reference on how to update. It has some useful links that go directly to the Flash and Java download sites. This page can also be used for Java if anyone prefers to download the latest Java software to the computer in order to install it. I have read of cases where using the 'Offline' installation option works when difficulties arise with the 'Online' option.

Something that may be interesting. Did all those not experiencing problems with PhotoBucket have the latest Flash and Java software installed?

Edited by tellywellies (Sun Mar 23 2008 12:52 AM)

Moderator:  flopsymopsy