Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#414876 - Sun Mar 23 2008 05:27 AM This week's theme is 'Photos taken at unusual angles'
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
''Photos taken at unusual angles'' is a suggestion made by Picqero.

#414877 - Sun Mar 23 2008 05:40 AM Re: This week's theme is 'Photos taken at unusual angles'
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Adelaide South Australia    
I have one of them around somewhere. It'l be a few days before I get the chace to dig it up though...

#414878 - Sun Mar 23 2008 12:18 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Photos taken at unusual angles'
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Taken from atop the Arch in St. Louis, Missouri in the viewing room. In order to get to the windows, you have to lie down on a side wall which is angled about 45 degrees. It's a very disconcerting feeling because you know there's nothing under you but a fall of 650 feet to the ground below. If you're afraid of heights, I wouldn't recommend this. I was shaking like a leaf getting photos while up there.

#414879 - Sun Mar 23 2008 12:51 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Photos taken at unusual angles'
BurgGurl Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Virginia USA
I get dizzy just looking at that view, but I'm glad to see your pic Lisa, as it saves me from ever having to go up in there!

This is one of a series of photos I had taken while coming down the inside of a slide. As you may be able to see, there is a bend ahead with light at the end. The slide is a larger version of the one found here, only with winding turns in it: Kessel Lo Park

(edited to add external link)

Edited by BurgGurl (Mon Mar 24 2008 12:34 PM)

#414880 - Mon Mar 24 2008 11:25 AM Re: This week's theme is 'Photos taken at unusual angles'
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
Looks a great view ClaraSue, and that stainless steel aperture looks more like the opening of a waste disposal unit - clever photo.
This one is from the top of a 16 metre (50 foot) sailing mast, which I'd climbed or rather been hoisted up, in order to free a jammed line. There are several optical illusions in this image: the white spreaders look as though they're wider than the yacht - they aren't! Also the lower spreader is considerably wider than the top one, though that's not how it looks in this image. Finally, what looks like a second mast behind my foot is actually a 2 metre boathook, which is hanging loose from my harness.

Edited by picqero (Mon Mar 24 2008 11:26 AM)

#414881 - Mon Mar 24 2008 06:49 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Photos taken at unusual angles'
djsgal Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Springfield Virginia USA     
Oh, I've got a great one that I just took on the beach yesterday, but we are on vacation and I don't have a way to download photos! I'll have to post it next week in the regular thread!

#414882 - Tue Mar 25 2008 06:14 AM Re: This week's theme is 'Photos taken at unusual angles'
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South Africa          
Nice picture ClaraSue, it makes you feel like you are looking down from the Arch yourself. Will have to look around for a good angle.

#414883 - Sat Mar 29 2008 06:04 AM Re: This week's theme is 'Photos taken at unusual angles'
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
Not many entries, which is a pity. I thought we'd all be set guessing at the insides of teapots, undersides of chairs, oblique angle shots of phones, cars, cutlery, etc

#414884 - Sat Mar 29 2008 07:27 AM Re: This week's theme is 'Photos taken at unusual angles'
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Picqero, I think that would be a good suggestion for a theme, though. "Guess what this is".

#414885 - Sat Mar 29 2008 09:16 AM Re: This week's theme is 'Photos taken at unusual angles'
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Funny you should say that picqero. Today is the first quiet spell we've had after the Easter holiday. Dead hectic it's been! Before looking in here and reading your post, I'd taken three photographs. One was of our garden with the camera held under one leg. That was a pretty unusual angle to take a photo at! (just joking)

Then I thought you probably meant that the object being photographed should be at an unusual angle rather than the photographer. With that thought, I took two more photos. One was of a pin. The other was nothing less than a phone and here it is:

I think the bottom (nearest the camera) looks like a face. It has two eyes. a nose and the curve with the shiny bit on looks like a big smile.

#414886 - Sat Mar 29 2008 09:23 AM Re: This week's theme is 'Photos taken at unusual angles'
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
Just for picqero, here's a side view of something that you'd identify immediately from a front view

#414887 - Sat Mar 29 2008 12:53 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Photos taken at unusual angles'
skilburn Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Hobart. TAS, Australia
A Frigate Bird in flight from above. I took this one atop a cliff at Christmas Island in the Indian Ocean.

#414888 - Sat Mar 29 2008 01:37 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Photos taken at unusual angles'
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ohio USA         
skilburn,
That is an awesome photo! I hope you have that enlarged, framed, and hanging somewhere. I know I would! Sandy

#414889 - Sat Mar 29 2008 10:15 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Photos taken at unusual angles'
jonnowales Offline
Prolific

Loc: Swansea
Wales UK
Liz, I may be being dull here (it happens a lot), but, is it a weaving machine. That took me a long time to come up with

#414890 - Sat Mar 29 2008 10:15 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Photos taken at unusual angles'
jonnowales Offline
Prolific

Loc: Swansea
Wales UK
I think a "guess what this is" thread would be great!

#414891 - Sat Mar 29 2008 10:52 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Photos taken at unusual angles'
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
No, not a weaving machine jon, something rather more common (at least they were some years ago). I'll post a front view in the photo-a-day thread tomorrow

#414892 - Sat Mar 29 2008 11:51 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Photos taken at unusual angles'
veronikkamarrz Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Carson City
Nevada USA 
It looks like a movie projector, to me.

#414893 - Sat Mar 29 2008 11:52 PM Re: This week's theme is 'Photos taken at unusual angles'
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Typewriter?

#414894 - Sun Mar 30 2008 12:29 AM Re: This week's theme is 'Photos taken at unusual angles'
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

I hope spanishliz will say what it is by 10-00 a.m British time. This is about the time we go onto the new theme. I have life planned to be regularly here at around this time on a Sunday.

We might have a 'What is it' feature in the future but perhaps not in the 'Theme' threads. I think it would need it's own category and some thought given to how it would run.

#414895 - Sun Mar 30 2008 03:50 AM Re: This week's theme is 'Photos taken at unusual angles'
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Thanks everybody. 'Glasses' in this week's theme.

I've left it a bit later but now need to start the new thread and lock this one as is usual for this time of the week. If anyone wants the answer to the mystery photo, perhaps they could ask Spanishliz by PM. If I'm let know that it's definitely an old typewriter , I'll confirm it here.

Edit: Spanishliz has confirmed that it is an old typewriter.

Edited by tellywellies (Sun Mar 30 2008 08:24 AM)

Moderator:  flopsymopsy