Rules
Terms of Use

Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10
Topic Options
#416234 - Mon Apr 28 2008 08:41 PM Re: Photo-a-day - April 2008
djsgal Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Springfield Virginia USA     
Thank you, Agnes, I'll give one a try - they all sound good!

#416235 - Mon Apr 28 2008 10:19 PM Re: Photo-a-day - April 2008
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  

Don't drive down a road with this sign...it might make you sleepy! There are many lettered highways within Missouri, and most are a single letter (like E) or doubled (like this one...ZZ, or JJ, etc.). There are exceptions to this rule, however, such as AB, AD, AR (near the Arkansas state line), or RA.

#416236 - Tue Apr 29 2008 05:15 AM Re: Photo-a-day - April 2008
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
Hilarious sign, must make some motorists look twice
I've been in Derbyshire for a few days, and these abandoned millstones are quite a common sight on the moors. They've laid undisturbed for nearly 200 years, and you can read more here
There's also a larger close-up image here

#416237 - Tue Apr 29 2008 05:57 AM Re: Photo-a-day - April 2008
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia

This is the Crawley boat shed on the Swan River near the University of Western Australia (and near where I work) - it's a landmark in Perth.

#416238 - Tue Apr 29 2008 10:36 AM Re: Photo-a-day - April 2008
argus9 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Winnipeg Manitoba Canada   
Well the bunnies are out in full force in our neighborhood. This one has been in our backyard for the past few days. Right outside our back door in the flower bed. I think she may have a nest nearby probably under the deck.

I got this shot through our kitchen window, she posed so nice!

Homer Simpson

#416239 - Tue Apr 29 2008 11:14 AM Re: Photo-a-day - April 2008
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
This is the quaker meeting house in Hampstead Garden Suburb looking very rural.

#416240 - Tue Apr 29 2008 12:41 PM Re: Photo-a-day - April 2008
lilyalli Offline
Prolific

Loc: Norfolk UK      
A visit to the garden centre today. Lots of pansies....

#416241 - Tue Apr 29 2008 10:40 PM Re: Photo-a-day - April 2008
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
So many fantastic photos, everybody. Picqero, the abandoned millstones are fascinating. Thanks for the history on them too. Djsgal, how exciting for your little girl to have her very own hamster. I remember wanting one when I was a young girl.

For months my hubby has been threatening to shave his head. So this past weekend while visiting my parents, I broke out the shaver and Dad "went to work".

#416242 - Wed Apr 30 2008 12:25 AM Re: Photo-a-day - April 2008
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  

This dog belongs to a friend of my grandmother's. I don't know the breed, but she is a pretty dog. She's either 8 or 9. Sorry about the chain link fence in the way...she's always in the fence.

#416243 - Wed Apr 30 2008 07:37 AM Re: Photo-a-day - April 2008
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia

This is the Dr YES bus. Dr YES is a school-based health program that we run at work. YES stands for Youth Education Sessions. Under this program, we send out specially trained volunteer medical students into high schools to talk to teenagers on topics such as Mental Health, Sexual Health and Drugs and Alcohol. The program aims to help teenagers, who might be reluctant to confide in adults such as parents, teachers or older doctors, access the health system in a non-threatening way. The program is very popular in the high schools and the medical students (and their bus) are always in demand.

#416244 - Wed Apr 30 2008 08:12 AM Re: Photo-a-day - April 2008
djsgal Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Springfield Virginia USA     
April 30 is always a tough day for me. Six years ago, my first husband was killed in an accident while flying a mission over the Gulf of Mexico. This photo is from 2006, when we visited a memorial marker for him at Arlington National Cemetery. But time truly does heal, as I'm sure you've all experienced, and we've made our peace with it.

#416245 - Wed Apr 30 2008 08:50 AM Re: Photo-a-day - April 2008
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ohio USA         
I had to catch up today on this thread, pleasant surprises as always!
Love the rainbow, the millstones are intriguing - can't believe they've been left undisturbed, and argus, your bunny looks a lot like the one I have had in my backyard for awhile now. They are not common in the city here and my dog, Jordan, likes to act threatening, but the rabbit will allow her to lay just feet away. I think it knows she would never hurt it.

What a wonderful picture and story, djsgal. I have been to Arlinton several times and am always humbled beyond words and moved to tears.

#416246 - Wed Apr 30 2008 10:03 AM Re: Photo-a-day - April 2008
Gamemaster1967 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Richmond TX
I had a wonderful time at a crawfish boil at my family's place this past weekend. Here is my cousin demonstrating some of her crawfish wrangling talents!

#416247 - Wed Apr 30 2008 10:05 AM Re: Photo-a-day - April 2008
Gamemaster1967 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Richmond TX
djsgal

The photo is beautiful. I am so sorry for the loss your family experienced.

Wendy

#416248 - Wed Apr 30 2008 10:42 AM Re: Photo-a-day - April 2008
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

The oleanders are in full bloom.

#416249 - Wed Apr 30 2008 11:15 AM Re: Photo-a-day - April 2008
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ohio USA         
ClaraSue, One of my favorite flowers and I love the smell! Unfortunately, a neighbor's dog almost died from them when he was down south with his owners. Apparently his chew toy had gotten some 'oil' from a bush and they are highly poisonous. Thankfully, the area vet was familiar with this and had seen it many times before. A true case of beautiful, but deadly.

#416250 - Wed Apr 30 2008 12:42 PM Re: Photo-a-day - April 2008
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Sad story djsgal, glad to hear you've come to terms with it now. I went to Arlington Cemetery long ago and had to stay on the little cart as there was a thunderstorm when we got there.

This is taken through a wire fence but big enough to get through, New Southgate station.

For anyone with a knowledge of London New Southgate was never a place, it was London N11 and named Colney Hatch, located between Muswell Hill and Friern Barnet. It also contained a huge mental hospital and the residents no longer wanted to be associated with the stereotype so they changed the name to New Southgate although it was no newer than Southgate, just the name was. The dreadful looking hospital is now luxury flats that look no different from any other Victorian prison. I think the hospital was more useful.

#416251 - Wed Apr 30 2008 07:05 PM Re: Photo-a-day - April 2008
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
So sorry for your loss, djsgal. I have the utmost respect for test pilots.

I decided to walk home after seeing a movie downtown this afternoon. The pains in my legs later reminded me why I usually take the bus up the hill, but I wanted to get a better photo of one of my favourite houses in town than is possible from a moving bus.

#416252 - Wed Apr 30 2008 09:20 PM Re: Photo-a-day - April 2008
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

djsgal, I'm sorry for your loss. Six years was just around the corner, it seems, and I'm sure your world felt like it was coming to an end. Without sounding condescending, it was a brave thing to marry another serviceman. Bless all of you.

Jordandog, I love the oleanders and have often worried about ClaraSue or my mom's dog becoming sick being around them and accidently ingesting some. Good thing your friends vet knew what to do.

Liz, that is really a beautiful house.

#416253 - Thu May 01 2008 07:50 AM Re: Photo-a-day - April 2008
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
It's the end of April so this thread is now locked. A new thread has been started for May's photos. Thanks to everyone.

Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10

Moderator:  flopsymopsy