Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#416461 - Tue Apr 01 2008 04:22 AM April Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
THE FT TRIVIA ROUNDS

Each day (except Sunday) one of our Trivia Round hosts will post 5 questions that have multiple possible correct answers. Each player should PM his or her answers to the host within the time frame specified (at least 48 hours, but usually more). Each unique correct answer provided (one that was not given by any other player) will receive 10 points, each non-unique correct answer will receive 5 points.

No sign-up or registration is required to play!!! and each player can play as many or as few Rounds as he or she chooses.

Mondays - Gatsby
    Tuesdays - Brandz_mygirl and Denni
    Wednesdays - Gatsby and JaneMarple
    Thursdays - Nakarinna
    Fridays - Szabs and Denni
    Saturdays - Mugaboo and Cinnam0n
Feel free to announce any changes/updates to this month's roster. I posted it in the form I know it exists at this moment.
Thank you!

#416462 - Tue Apr 01 2008 01:07 PM Re: April Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Round 1 – April quiz

Today’s quiz – ”FOOL” in honour of April Fool’s Day.

1) Please provide the name of a movie released in the 1980s or 1990s that has the word ‘Fool’ in its title. No variations of the word ‘Fool’ and no TV movies please.

2) Please give me a synonym (one word) for ‘Fool’, restricting your answer to only those words that begin with either ‘D’ or ‘N’.

3) I read Shakespeare’s “Twelfth Night” in English Lit classes at school. The story, very simply, is: girl disguises herself as a boy, falls in love with her boss, who sends her to woo another girl, who falls in love with girl disguised as a boy. Luckily, the girl disguised as a boy has a twin brother who turns up and wins heart of second girl, whilst disguised girl reveals her true identity to her boss who falls madly in love with her in the end. More importantly, one of the characters in the play is a jester named “Feste”. “Feste” is no Fool in the literal sense, it is just his job to entertain and act the Fool. Please give me another named character from “Twelfth Night”.

4) One of my favourite British comedies follows the adventures of brothers “Derek ‘Del Boy’” and “Rodney Trotter” in their get-rich-quick schemes. Please give me the title of any episode of “Only Fools and Horses” that was originally aired on Christmas Day of any year.

5) Def Leppard is a British hard rock band from the 1970s who are still doing well today. Their multi-platinum album “Pyromania” was released in 1983 and included the song “Foolin’”. From the lyrics of “Foolin’”, please give me any word that has exactly 5 letters in it.

This quiz will close on Saturday 5 April at midnight FT time.

#416463 - Wed Apr 02 2008 05:18 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Just a reminder that Round 28 will close in a few hours, late entries are welcome

#416464 - Wed Apr 02 2008 05:20 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 2 ~ Wednesday

A mere glimpse of the 1949 Kirk Douglas movie Champion - and the course was set. Funny thing, though. I went from tricycles to dead children in fictional Maine and ended up NOT using the movie that got this whole mess started in any question . At any rate...

1. The first Champ I'll mention today is a monster, so they say. Or maybe just a fable? Could be he's just a big geographically (and pretty old, too, as far as marine animals go) impaired whale? Who knows. But at Lake Champlain (in Vermont), he's been alleged to have been around for a mighty long time - for those disbelievers, *see here* for [ahem ] proof! Even the Native Americans that first settled the area spoke of a large horned serpent that lived in the Lake (legends consistent with tribes on both sides of said Lake, too). Ol' Champ gets lots of attention, whether he's really there or not. Champmonster.com is a site that venerates the big mysterious "sea dweller" in a large way. They sell stuff there (shirts, mugs, etc.), of course. Please tell me a *saying* printed on any one of those products! Note: just the *saying*, not the type of merchandise...

2. The feature film "The Champ" has been filmed twice (significantly) in Hollywood. The first time it was released in 1931, and won an Oscar. The second time was in 1979 (and it -um- didn't quite make it to many Awards ceremonies, if any). It tells the tale of a once-celebrated boxer, now down on his luck, raising his young son. The story travels to, of course, the champ's attempted comeback. The loyalty of his son. The boy's heretofore absent mother showing up. Let's just say there was rarely a dry eye in the house once the pugilism, large or small or internal or external, wraps up. They changed the names of folks in the two films but the cast of characters stayed constant, mostly. Would you tell me who played "The Champ", the son, the boy's mother -OR- who directed the filming of this almost classic story, either version?

3. The plan was to find stuff that might be interesting (not that I can imagine much about them, if anything, being close to engaging ) Champion Spark Plugs. I was right. They are about as exciting as plantars warts ~ BUT it did lead me to a place called Champion Trikes. Very very cool little vehicles there, I must say! Wildly elaborate gadgets that used-to-be-oh-so-basic, now jacked up to essential collector's items! Have a look at their site and tell me a model of trike or sidecar that can be purchased there, OK?

4. Most have probably seen the movie "Stand By Me (1986). Or maybe read the short story "The Body", by Stephen King? It told the tale of four 'adventurous' lads who decide to hike far away so to catch a glimpse of the fresh corpse of yet another youngster. A cheerless endeavor, true, but the boys learned plenty as they went - about each other and about themselves. One of them was Teddy Duchamp, the "dare-me-and-I'll-do-it" kid in the bunch, played by a sputtering, bespectacled Corey Feldman. Teddy's father was mentally ill, which was a huge source of consternation for him; he said so in the movie, too. Loudly. The band A Small Victory heard him, and liked it enough to use Teddy's words in their song titled 'Teddy Duchamp Is No Loony'. It's a short (odd) track, having pretty much nothing to do with the movie but, if you would, tell me the first or last word in any line of that tune, please...

5. Champion, New York is a town on the Black River in Jefferson County, with a population of just 4,361 at the 2000 census. A small chunk of the town is part of Fort Drum, though, a U.S. Army military reservation. ITS population was triple that of nearby Champion in that same census. The Fort is home to the 10th Mountain Division which is responsible for support, mobilization and training of almost 80,000 troops annually. On March 11, 2003 a tragic accident happened there when a Black Hawk UH-60 Helicopter crashed during a routine exercise, with thirteen soldiers on board. Only two young men survived it. May I ask of you the name of one of the eleven service men who died as a result of that Black Hawk mishap that day in 2003?

Okey dokey, then. This Round will close on Sunday evening. If I can be of any assistance, feel free to contact me (as always). Have a more-than-superlative today/tonight out there !

Edited by Gatsby722 (Wed Apr 02 2008 06:20 AM)

#416465 - Thu Apr 03 2008 02:35 PM Re: April Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 3 - Thursday

Today's theme is Lucius... (sometimes there is just no [succinct] explanation. )

1. When Rome was under attack by the Aequians, the Senate named Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus to the position of Dictator of Rome. According to legend, Cincinnatus was plowing his field when he was summoned to Rome to deal with this threat. After a mere sixteen days, Cincinnatus had ensured the safety of Rome and promptly returned to his plow. His behavior is upheld as the heroic display of both civic and familial duty, and he is commemorated in the name of one of Ohio's largest cities: Cincinnati. Please select one of Cincinnati's sister cities (also known as town twins).

2. Lucius Cornelius Sulla Felix, more commonly referred to as Sulla, was a gifted Roman general and conservative politician who marched his armies into Rome and took it over - twice. In 82-21 B.C. Sulla was declared Dictator of Rome, a title which had previously been used only when the city was in great danger and with the proviso that a dictatorship lasted for no more than six months. Please name any Roman (other than Cincinnatus and Sulla) who held the title of Dictator of Rome.

3. Continuing with the Roman theme, our next famous Lucius is Lucius Domitius Ahenobarbus. Never heard of him? Well, perhaps you know him better as Nero, Emperor of Rome. Nero is infamous for his political assassinations and highly questionable 'fiddling' during the Great Fire of Rome. It seems unlikely that Nero did in fact 'fiddle while Rome burned,' but it is widely known that Nero did enjoy giving musical performances. One such performance took place at the Ancient Olympic Games in 67 B.C. Please visit Olympia (the site of the games) and choose a building located there.

4. Not all people named Lucius are ancient Romans (although you wouldn't know that to look at my first few questions). A more recent, albeit fictional, Lucius is the nefarious Lucius Malfoy from the Harry Potter series. Malfoy was a Death Eater - an ardent supporter of Lord Voldemort, the evil wizard who wants to take over the world. Please tell me the name of a Death Eater who does not have the last name Malfoy.

5. Finally, Lucius Best is the fictional superhero ally of Mr. Incredible in the clever 2004 Pixar film, The Incredibles. The Parr family, headed by Mr. Incredible, is a crime-fighting family of superheroes. Each member of the family has his own set of superpowers. Please give me a superpower associated with anyone within the Parr family. (N.B. Most characters have at least two powers.)

This round will close Tuesday April 8 at noon FT time. Good luck, everyone!

#416466 - Thu Apr 03 2008 05:22 PM Re: April Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

[I'm posting this early because there's a hell-ish day awaiting for me in the office tomorrow and I don't know when I'll be able to be around on Friday .]

ROUND 4 - Friday

For no particular reason, this round's theme is "Etiquette" ---> a code that governs the expectations of social behavior within a society, social class, or group; prescribed limits of appropriate social behavior within set situations.

1 - At a fire ~~ From HERE, please give me one of the 15 items listed (from #13 to #27) under "Other material in the boarding house is to be rescued in the following order"

2 - E-Mail etiquette ~~ From HERE, please pick one of the 10 pointers (no "Tips") to help you communicate more effectively through electronic missives.

3 - Rules for bringing up babies ~~ From HERE, please choose the instruction you consider the most helpful.

4 - New York - Urban etiquette ~~ From HERE, please pick one of the 8 handy rules for being a civilized New Yorker.

5 - The Programmer Dress Code ~~ From HERE, please give me any photo "title" (19 to pick from and please don't send the person's name, just the 'caption' above any of those photos)

This Round will close on Wednesday (April 9) at noon, FT time. Any existential dilemma that might arise can be easily solved - just 'shout' a PM my way .

#416467 - Sat Apr 05 2008 03:43 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 5 - - Saturday 5th April

1. Amanda Holden is a long standing patron of the Born Free Fundation. Pease give me another celebrity supporter of Born Free.
2. Ben Fogle is now a television presenter, but he first came to prominence on the BBC television reality show "Castaway 2000" when they spent a year on Taransay. Please tell me another of the adult castaways.
3. John Torode is one of the judges on BBC2's "Masterchef" program, Please give me one of the restaurants used by the contestants during the last series (2008).
4. Morten Frost just turned 50 yesterday, He was twelve years ranked in the top three badmington players. Please name one of the men's singles quarterfinalists, the first time the the IBF World Championships came to Denmark in 1983.
5. Ronan Keating was a member of the Irish pop grop Boyzone. Please give me the name of someone who played the Violin, the their album "By Request" released in 1999.

This round does have a theme, all five of them are running in the London marathon next weekend. The round closes early on Friday.

#416468 - Sat Apr 05 2008 10:22 PM Re: April Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Hmm....I seem to have missed sending out the 24-hour and even the 12-hour notes before Round 1 closes. Unexpectedly busy these last few days. Ok, please consider this the 1-hour notice. Round 1 will close thereafter

#416469 - Sat Apr 05 2008 11:23 PM Re: April Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 1 is officially closed. I will be posting the results late-ish, I'm afraid, still sorting through answers. Hopefully, will get it done tonight, say approximately 12 hours from now. Thank you for your patience.

#416470 - Sun Apr 06 2008 12:47 PM Re: April Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 2 - Wednesday
"Champ"
Nine extraordinary participants!

1. Champmonster.com is a site that venerates the big mysterious "sea dweller" in a large way. They sell stuff there (shirts, mugs, etc.), of course. Please tell me a *saying* printed on any one of those products!

For 10 Points:
Did You Just See That?, How Do You Like Your Champ?, My Other Lover Is A Lake Monster
For 5 Points:
Certified Champ Chaser (2), Champ Lives In Lake Champlain (2), I Was Hammered When I Saw Champ (2)

Some others are 'I Don't Believe In Ghosts', 'Champ Bait', 'Seeing Is Believing' and 'I Drool More Than Champ' ...

2. Would you tell me who played "The Champ", the son, the boy's mother -OR- who directed the filming of this almost classic story, either version?

For 10 Points:
Wallace Beery (played 'The Champ', 1931), Faye Dunaway (played the Mother, 1979)
For 5 Points:
Jackie Cooper (played the Son, 1931)) (2), King Vidor (Director, 1979) (3), Jon Voight (played 'The Champ', 1979) (2)

Leaving Irene Rich (played the Mother, 1931), Rick Schroder (played the Son, 1979) and Franco Zeffirelli (Director, 1979) unmentioned.

3. Have a look at their site and tell me a model of trike or sidecar that can be purchased there, OK?

For 10 Points:
Trike - Harley-Davidson FL, Trike - Harley-Davidson Softail, Trike - Honda GL1500, Trike - Honda GL1800, Trike - Yamaha Road Star
For 5 Points:
Sidecar - Esort (2), Trike - Honda VTX 1300 (2)

Sidecar - Daytona, Sidecar - Legend -and- Trike - Honda VTX1800 would have been correct as well.

4. 'Teddy Duchamp Is No Loony'. It's a short (odd) track, having pretty much nothing to do with the movie but, if you would, tell me the first or last word in any line of that tune, please...

For 10 Points:
Can, Flesh
For 5 Points:
Bolted (3), Cry (2), Shattered (2)

5. May I ask of you the name of one of the eleven service men who died as a result of that Black Hawk mishap that day at Fort Drum in 2003?

For 10 Points:
Capt. Christopher E. Britton, Sgt. Joshua M. Harapko, Chief Warrant Officer 3 Kenneth L. Miller, Staff Sgt. Brian L. Pavlich, Pfc. Stryder O. Stoutenburg
For 5 Points:
Spec. Shawn A. Mayerscik (2), Spec. Lucas V. Tripp (2)

Four others were lost that day: Sgt. John L. Eichenlaub, Spec. Barry M. Stephens, Pfc. Andrew D. Stevens and Pfc. Tommy C. Young.

The Results!

45 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, cinnamOn
35 Points! .... denni19, szabs, zorba_scank
30 Points! .... Mugaboo, nakarinna, srini701
25 Points! .... maninmidohio

Thank you all for joining in and *CONGRATULATIONS!* to brandz_mygirl and cinnamOn for a well-played tie for first place !

Edited by Gatsby722 (Sun Apr 06 2008 12:50 PM)

#416471 - Mon Apr 07 2008 01:54 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 7 ~ Monday

And, pretty much, for no particular reason whatsoever...

1. Aspiring songstress Mikki Brisk may or may not have a Grammy Award-winning career ahead of her, but one thing must be said for sure about the young woman. She knows how to sell herself indeed. In her biography it states "She seduces with a voice as sweet as the sourwood in her native Georgia" -and- "She's equal parts crystalline pure and golden huskiness" -or- "Smothered with standout melodies and layered atmosphere like a healthy dose of southern gravy". Maybe if they called her a possible "love-child of Merle Haggard and Emmylou Harris" sales would spike? Never mind. Her profile says that, too, already! On Ms. Brisk's site, please have a look at her *Fact Sheet* and tell me one of her 'Musical Similarities' or 'Musical Styles', her record label or the name of her debut album.

2. Pretty cool quote, this one: "Brisk talkers are generally slow thinkers." As always, well said by Irish satirist Jonathan Swift (1667-1745), who (in my opinion) ranks as one of the best "thinkers" ever committed to the written page. Naturally, he will always be best remembered for the classic (and-more-layered-than-it-looks-at-first) "Gulliver's Travels" but Swift had quite a body of work to his credit. Notably the insightful "A Tale of a Tub", his first 'major' work, published in 1704. Some say it was his best (not to mention most difficult) satire as well. You can pick up a copy for just pennies over on Amazon. Might you tell me a chapter in the paperback version of "A Tale of a Tub and Related Pieces" (The World's Classics), edited by Angus Ross and David Woolley? *Feel free to send abbreviated titles, too - just key words will be fine in those wordier ones...

3. The *most interesting* things one learns doing these Rounds . 'Brisk Biters'? I'd never heard of the blood-sucking beasts before! In a nutshell: about 100 years ago, bird-biting mosquitoes called Culex pipiens entered the tunnels then being dug for the London Underground. Cut off from their normal diet, they changed their habits to feed on rats and, when available, human beings. During WW2, they attacked Londoners seeking refuge from Hitler's bombs. Hmmm. NOW, though, scientists find it impossible to breed these "Brisk" bugs with other mosquitoes. Which means they have, over not-so-long-a-time, evolved into a whole new species! 'Creationists' are in a mighty snit . But, anyway, as for mosquitoes - they made quite a more-than-usual nuisance of themselves in the last decade ~ spreading around a deadly affliction. Canadian health officials reported 14 deaths and 1,494 confirmed and probable cases of West Nile Virus in 2003. I'd like to know one of the eight Provinces there where those cases happened, OK?

4. On July 17, 1974 an episode of the TV series "Late Night Drama" called 'A Brisk Dip Sagaciously Considered' aired. If you've not heard of it, there's a likely good reason. It ran for a whole 3 weeks ! Such a short run that I'm having trouble finding out what it was even about, let me add. Two of its -um- "regular" cast members were Ray Davies and June Ritchie. Davies was, of course, the singer/songwriter from the highly successful band The Kinks. Ritchie, though, was a serious/critically applauded actress; perhaps her most notable film work came in 1962's A New Kind of Loving where she played the pregnant young girlfriend of Alan Bates. That film was directed by John Schlesinger (1926-2003), whose career rose to a great collective success (including an Academy Award for Midnight Cowboy in 1969). Tell us any other feature film (no TV) directed by John Schlesinger in the 1960s or 1970s, please.

5. The Belarusian city of Brest, in Yiddish, is pronounced Brisk (just in case you're ever asked ). Belarus is a (not-so-temperate, by the sounds of it ) landlocked country in Eastern Europe bordering Russia, Ukraine, Poland, Lithuania and Latvia. The unification of Belarusian lands within its modern borders took place in 1939 only to suffer enormous devastation during World War II. Recovery was purposeful, however, in the post-war years and Belarus even became one of the founding members of the United Nations. They didn't send athletes to the Olympics until the 1952 games in Helsinki but have been sturdy participants since. For example, at the 2004 Summer Olympics (in Athens), Yulia Nestsiarenka and Ihar Makarau won gold medals for Athletics and Judo, respectively. 15 other Belarusian athletes won Olympic medals that summer ~ please tell me one of them. Thanks!

And this Round will close come Friday morning! Have a totally exceptional week, eh !

#416472 - Mon Apr 07 2008 05:11 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Sorry to be going on and on about Round 1. Just an update, I'm currently waiting for a response from a player and will post results thereafter. I haven't forgotten about it

#416473 - Mon Apr 07 2008 12:16 PM Re: April Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 3 will be closing in under 24 hours... (noon FT time on Tuesday)

Edited by nakarinna (Mon Apr 07 2008 12:22 PM)

#416474 - Tue Apr 08 2008 12:09 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

ROUND 8

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
by any other name would smell as sweet
"

Let's make this Round's themes "NAME" and "ROSE" - sort of...

1. As I quoted from "Romeo and Juliet" above, let's use this masterpiece for the first request.
Please have a look at Shakespeare Illustrated and give me the name of an artist who painted a character or a scene from "Romeo and Juliet"

2. Clan ROSE, is one of the few in Scotland where the chiefship has descended in an unbroken line to the present day, the present chief being Anna Elizabeth Guillemard Rose, 25th of Kilravock. The Clan's seat, Kilravock Castle was built in 1460 and nowadays is open to tourists from all over the world, offering a unique Bed & Breakfast experience for the person looking for something a little different.
From Kilravock Castle's website, please pick one of the food items they offer in a "Full Scottish" breakfast.

3. "The NAME of the ROSE" is a murder mystery novel by Umberto Eco. The action takes place in an Italian monastery in the year 1327. Funnily enough, when they made the 1986 movie based on the book, they couldn't find an available Italian location so they shot the interior scenes in a German Cistercian monastery - Eberbach Abbey.
Please give me the name of another Cistercian monastery/abbey in Germany.

4. NAME aka National Association of Miniature Enthusiasts, is an educational, non-profit organization dedicated to the miniature collector and builder, which celebrates the doll-house miniatures hobby.
Please visit the association's official website and come up with a NAME club one can find in North Carolina.

5. Yorkshire Bank PLC Are Fascist Bastards - no, this is not my 'political' view , it's the NAME of a real person [After being charged £20 for a £10 overdraft, 30 year old Michael Howard of Leeds changed his name, legally, to the one mentioned. The bank has asked him to close his account, and Mr. Bastards has asked them to repay the 69p balance, by cheque, made out in his new name.]
Something must be wrong with this guy, if you ask me (I know you didn't ).
Another weird NAME is that of a baby girl from Perton, Wolverhampton, UK - she has 25 middle names which are the surnames of 25 world heavyweight boxing champions. Now, in this case there must be something wrong with her parents!
- Her full name is: Autumn Sullivan Corbett Fitzsimmons Jeffries Hart Burns Johnson Willard Dempsey Tunney Schmeling Sharkey Carnera Baer Braddock Louis Charles Walcott Marciano Patterson Johansson Liston Clay Frazier Foreman Brown. (quite a mouthfull).
Speaking of long names...
Please have your pick of an unusually long name (except the one I have just told you about) from those listed on Wikipedia (NO "Portuguese Braganza Monarchs" please).

This round will stay open till Saturday (April 12) noon, FT time.

**Edited to correct the spelling of "Kilravock Castle".
My apologies for any problems you might have had searching for the incorrect name/word
**Edited again to clarify Question #5 .

Edited by denni19 (Wed Apr 09 2008 12:28 PM)

#416475 - Tue Apr 08 2008 11:21 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 3 Results

10 players entered this round…

1. Please select one of Cincinnati's sister cities (also known as town twins).

For 10 points: Nancy (France), Taipei (Taiwan), Harare (Zimbabwe), Netanya (Israel), Gifu (Japan), Kharkiv (Ukraine)

For 5 points: Rome (Italy) – (2), Munich (Germany) – (2)

Not mentioned: Liuzhou (China)

2. Please name any Roman (other than Cincinnatus and Sulla) who held the title of Dictator of Rome.

For 10 points: Publius Cornelius Rufinus, Marcus Junius Pera, Aulus Atilius Caiatinus, Publius Sulpicius Galba Maximus, Marcus Valerius Corvus, Titus Larcius

For 5 points: Quintus Fabius Maximus Cunctator (2), Quintus Fabius Maximus Rullianus (2)

Not mentioned: Gaius Julius Caesar, among others

3. Please visit Olympia (the site of the games) and choose a building located there.

For 10 points: Eastern Roman baths, Running track, Palaistra, Altar of Zeus, Colonnade of Echo, Tholos of Philippos, Treasuries, Temple of Zeus

For 5 points: Hotel of Leonidas (2)

Not mentioned: Temple of Hera, House of the magistrates, Fountain of Herodes Atticus, and others

4. Please tell me the name of a Death Eater who does not have the last name Malfoy.

For 10 points: Alecto Carrow, Peter Pettigrew, Augustus Rookwood, Barty Crouch Jr., Regulus Black, Avery

For 5 points: Fenrir Greyback (2), Igor Karkaroff (2)

Not mentioned: Bellatrix Lestrange and Severus Snape, among others

5. Please give me a superpower associated with anyone within the Parr family.

For 10 points: Ability to project energy beams from eyes (Jack-Jack Parr), Body reshaping (Helen Parr), Phasing (Jack-Jack Parr)

For 5 points: Anti-gravitational floating (Jack-Jack Parr) – (2), Force field generation (Violet Parr) – (3), Tremendous strength (Bob Parr) – (2)

Not Mentioned: Resistance to harm (Bob Parr), Body stretching (Helen Parr), Invisibility (Violet Parr), Extreme speed (Dash Parr), Shapeshifting (Jack-Jack Parr), and others

Scores:

With 45 points: Mugaboo, maninmidohio, szabs
With 40 points: missbecky2007, srini701, denni19, brandz_mygirl, cinnam0n
With 35 points: zorba_scank
With 25 points: Gatsby722

Congratulations to Mugaboo, maninmidohio, and szabs for earning one April trivia point each!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#416476 - Wed Apr 09 2008 02:17 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday April 9th 2008
Q1 A boy’s name beginning with W
Q2 A girls name beginning with W
Q3 A profession beginning with W
Q4 A FICTIONAL character with the surname beginning with W
Q5 Any animal beginning with W

This closes over the weekend

#416477 - Wed Apr 09 2008 07:36 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 1 – April Answers

11 sterling participants for the “Fool” round. Thank you very much for taking the time to play and warm hellos again to Srini & Missbecky2007. It’s great to have both of you back playing.

My apologies to everyone for the late results. I was still waiting for a response from a player but unfortunately did not manage to contact the player despite sending a few PMs/notes.

1) Please provide the name of a movie released in the 1980s or 1990s that has the word ‘Fool’ in its title. No variations of the word ‘Fool’ and no TV movies please.
For Ten Points: Henry Fool, If There Ever Was a Fool, Hero Lover Fool, Dancing Fool, Kung Fool, Don’t Play the Fool, Nobody’s Fool
For Five Points: Fool for Love (2), Video Fool for Love (2)
Not mentioned: Kissing a Fool, Bert Rigby You’re a Fool, The Fool There are also a number of foreign movies with English titles containing the word ‘Fool’
I didn’t expect to encounter any problems with this question. I should have known better by now. Some of the movies listed on Imdb did not provide any details of the movie, some were stated as ‘short’ but are still considered movies . In the end, I decided to accept all movies provided they satisfied my two criterias.

2) Please give me a synonym (one word) for ‘Fool’, restricting your answer to only those words that begin with either ‘D’ or ‘N’.
For Ten Points: Ninny, Dissipate (It doesn’t seem directly related to ‘Fool’ but the dictionary does put it as a related word), Dupe, Dunderhead, Delude (verb), Dope
For Five Points: Nincompoop (2), Numskull –or-Numbskull (3)
Not mentioned: Dummy, Dimwit, Daft, Dunce, Dodo, Dolt, Dumbbell, Nitwit, Nutty, Nut etc….

3) Please give me another named character (other than “Feste”) from “Twelfth Night”.
For Ten Points: Maria, Sir Andrew Aguecheek, Viola
For Five Points: Curio (2), Sebastian (2), Antonio (2), Fabian (2)
Not mentioned: Orsino, Olivia, Sir Toby Belch, Malvolio, Valentine

4) Please give me the title of any episode of “Only Fools and Horses” that was originally aired on Christmas Day of any year.
For Ten Points: Miami Twice: Part 2 – Oh to be in England, The Jolly Boys Outing, Rodney Come Home, To Hull and Back, A Royal Flush
For Five Points: Heroes and Villains (2), Thicker Than Water (3)
Not mentioned: The Frog’s Legacy, Dates, Mother Nature’s Son, Fatal Extraction, If They Could See Us Now, Strangers on the Shore, Sleepless in Peckham

5) Def Leppard is a British hard rock band from the 1970s who are still doing well today. Their multi-platinum album “Pyromania” was released in 1983 and included the song “Foolin’”. From the lyrics of “Foolin’”, please give me any word that has exactly 5 letters in it.
For Ten Points: Going, Storm, Gotta, Alone, Never
For Five Points: Close (2), Cause (2), Empty (2)
Not mentioned: Break, Spell, Flame, Night, Wakin, Could

RESULTS!

Top Place:
45 points: Cinnamon Well done for emerging tops.

Other results:
40 points: Maninmidohio, Gatsby, Gsmoke827, Szabs & Zorba_Scank
35 points: Srini & Nakarinna
30 points: Denni & Mugaboo
25 points: Missbecky2007 And my apologies to Missbecky2007 for not getting back to her earlier on one of her answers so as to give her sufficient time to respond. My bad.

Edited by brandz_mygirl (Wed Apr 09 2008 12:16 PM)

#416478 - Wed Apr 09 2008 11:22 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Round 4 is closed. I am working at the results and will post them when ready .

#416479 - Thu Apr 10 2008 06:28 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Time just a-flies, don't it ? Only 24 hours to go for Round 7, kids.....

#416480 - Thu Apr 10 2008 09:49 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Yeah, time flies and I'm late with my results . Sorry for that.

Results for ROUND 4

There were 11 players eager to study about “etiquette” – Thank you all for your kind participation!

1 - At a fire ~~ From HERE, please give me one of the 15 items listed (from #13 to #27) under "Other material in the boarding house is to be rescued in the following order"

10 points: Male domestics, Boarders in general, Landlord, Clergymen, Elderly married females, Mothers in law, Young married females, Babies

5 points: Firemen [3]

Not mentioned: Children under 10 years of age, Young widows, Elderly widows, Female domestics, Landlady, Furniture

2 - E-Mail etiquette ~~ From HERE, please pick one of the 10 pointers (no "Tips") to help you communicate more effectively through electronic missives.

10 points: #9 – Nasty e-mail should also be avoided

5 points: #1 - Clearly summarize your message in the subject line [2], #5 - Avoid using all capital letters [3], #6 - Don't write anything you wouldn't say in public [2], #7 - Use a smiley to make sure that a statement is not misunderstood [3]

Not mentioned: The other 5 pointers.

3 - Rules for bringing up babies ~~ From HERE, please choose the instruction you consider the most helpful.

10 points: Baby proofing your home, Clearing baby’s nose, Introducing baby to pets, Stimulating baby, Choosing a babysitter, Making baby smile, Shopping with baby, Waking baby, Lifting baby

5 points: Bonding with baby [2]

Not mentioned: Around 15 other instructions.

4 - New York - Urban etiquette ~~ From HERE, please pick one of the 8 handy rules for being a civilized New Yorker.

10 points:
- Be nice to everyone, especially people wearing hospital bracelets
- If you see Oprah at a fancy function, don’t grab her wrist and ask for money. Quietly sneak up behind her and whisper, “You give me that money, Oprah. You hear me?”
- If you need to do any of these things, try to do it between two parked cars

5 points:
- Don’t ask white girls if they “left their a$$ at home.” [2]
- If you have to bring your baby to a movie, make sure he laughs at appropriate times [2]
- Don’t eat Cheetos and then sit down at a fancy hotel piano [2]
- If you are in Central Park and think you are getting mugged, first check to see if maybe you’re just part of a student film [2]

Not mentioned: When walking on a New York street, try not to spit, litter, bleed, or take a crap

5 - The Programmer Dress Code ~~ From HERE, please give me any photo "title" (19 to pick from and please don't send the person's name, just the 'caption' above any of those photos)

10 points: Another One of Them UNIX guys, Spreadsheet Afficionado, Tarzan of the Apes, The Fantastic Three, Crazy Bob Saget, Speaking of the Yetti, errr, I Mean Haskell, Grrrrrrrr…

5 points: The Hawkeye [2], The Knight of Sorting [2]

Not mentioned: 10 more titles/captions available in there

The RESULTS for Round 4 are:

With 45 points: Cinnam0n and Lizard_Wizard – Great job both of you !

With 40 points: JaneMarple, Nakarinna, Gatsby and Maninmidohio

With 35 points: Brandz_mygirl, Szabs, Mugaboo and Srini

With 25 points: Zorba_scank

This was a very close round from which our mates - Cinnam0n and Lizard_Wizard – managed to emerge as winners. They each get one monthly point for April – Congratulations!

#416481 - Thu Apr 10 2008 11:54 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 10 - Thursday

Today's theme is Alexander Graham Bell, inventor of the telephone...

1. Alexander Graham Bell was born in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1847. He started inventing at an early age, developing a wheat dehusker for a neighbor's mill while still a child. He attended Royal High School in Edinburgh, an institution that has produced many people who made great contributions to society. Other than Bell, please give me the name of a Royal High School alum who has contributed either to the field of medicine or that of engineering/design.

2. After seeing a robot with a crude mechanical voice, Bell began to experiment with sound and acoustics. He and his brother managed to build a moderately successful 'talking' robot that could realistically say a few words. This encouraged Bell to experiment with the family pet: Trouve, a Skye terrier. After some training (involving a lot of dog treats, I'd guess) and vocal manipulation, Bell managed to convince several people that he had a talking dog. Skye terriers are classified as small terriers by the FCI. Please choose another type of terrier categorized in the FCI section of 'small-sized terrier.'

3. On February 14, 1876 two separate patents for the telephone were submitted to the U.S. Patent Office. One was filed by Elisha Gray, a contemporary electrical engineer from Illinois. The other was Alexander Graham Bell's. Historical record indicates that Gray's patent caveat was submitted just a few hours earlier than Bell's application, but Gray did not follow up on his patent until after Bell was awarded the telephone patent. Just a couple days after his patent was filed, Bell made the first ever 'phone' call. Please select one of the words that Bell uttered in his historical sentence.

4. Bell did not stop inventing after the success of his telephone. Bell was interested in everything from metal detection to iceberg location to aeronautics. Additionally, he continued work in the field of sound, particularly hearing loss, possibly inspired by his wife, Mabel, who lost her hearing in childhood after a case of scarlet fever, and his mother, who became deaf in her later years. As a result Bell holds many U.S. patents for a variety of devices. Please give me the number of one of Bell's patents that was filed after 1900.

5. Finally, Alexander Graham Bell contributed greatly to international scientific achievement. However, some of his ideas were - at the very least - controversial. Bell became interested in the study of eugenics after realizing that deafness was hereditary. He became an advisor to the Eugenics Record Office, a center that advocated laws permitting the compulsory sterilization of persons with mental illness. Buck vs. [James] Bell, a 1927 U.S. Supreme Court case, ruled that such sterilization was permissible "for the protection and health of the state." Please pick any justice that served on the Supreme Court for the duration of this case.

This round is scheduled to close Tuesday, April 15 at noon FT time. I will be going out of town this afternoon, and I may or may not have internet access. Please PM me with any questions, and, if necessary, I will keep the round open for longer to address these questions. Good luck, everyone!

#416482 - Fri Apr 11 2008 05:40 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 7 - Monday
"Brisk"
Nine enormously talented participants !

1. On Ms. Brisk's site, please have a look at her *Fact Sheet* and tell me one of her 'Musical Similarities' or 'Musical Styles', her record label or the name of her debut album.

For 10 Points:
Acoustic Rock (Style), Americana [Bayou] (Style), Mary Chapin Carpenter (Similarity), Rosanne Cash (Similarity), Shawn Colvin (Similarity)
For 5 Points:
"Distance and Miles" (Album) (2), Melissa Etheridge (Similarity) (2)

Leaving only two "styles" (Contemporary Folk and 'Alt' Country) and her label (Albino Catfish Music) unmentioned there. And, while not meaning to be unduly critical OR peevish ~ having listened to a song or two of Miss Brisk's, I'd say she has a very nice voice. Earthy and solid. But Melissa Etheridge? Or even Shawn Colvin? Nope. She's not quite in the ballpark of those two [just yet...].

2. Might you tell me a chapter in the paperback version of "A Tale of a Tub and Related Pieces" (The World's Classics), by Jonathan Swift - edited by Angus Ross and David Woolley?

*Yikes. This week's *Fright-Mare* question , much to my surprise. Turned out the same editors worked this book for more than one publisher. So there were different tables of contents, technically . One could quibble about "official" book titles, too, I reckon - but even THOSE were close to each other. Very cumbersome indeed...*

For 10 Points:
"An argument to prove that the abolishing of Christianity in England may, as things now stand, be attended with some inconveniences, and perhaps not produce those many good effects proposed thereby"; "A digression concerning critics"; "A digression on the nature usefulness & necessity of Wars & Quarrels"; "Hints towards an essay on good conversation"; "A modest proposal for preventing the children of poor people in Ireland from being a burden to their parents or country, and for making them beneficial to the public"; "A Project, for the universal benefit of Mankind"; "A proposal for giving badges to the beggars in all the parishes of Dublin"
For 5 Points:
"A tale of a tub, written for the universal improvement of all mankind" (2)

3. Canadian health officials reported 14 deaths and 1,494 confirmed and probable cases of West Nile Virus in 2003. I'd like to know one of the eight Provinces there where those cases happened, OK?

For 10 Points:
Alberta, Quebec, Saskatchewan, Yukon
For 5 Points:
British Columbia (2), Ontario (3)

Nova Scotia and Manitoba were the other two..

4. Tell us another feature film (no TV) directed by John Schlesinger in the 1960s or 1970s, please.

For 10 Points:
Darling (1965), The Day of the Locust (1975), Terminus (1961)
For 5 Points:
Billy Liar (1963) (3), Far from the Madding Crowd (1967) (3)

Four others: Yanks (1979), Marathon Man (1976), Visions of Eight (1973) (<--- segment "The Longest") and Sunday Bloody Sunday (1971).

5. 15 other Belarusian athletes won Olympic medals that summer in 2004 ~ please tell me one of them. Thanks!

For 10 Points:
Hanna Batsiushka (Weightlifling), Raman Piatrushenka (Canoe/Kayak Flatwater), Viktar Zuyev (Boxing), Ivan Tikhon (Athletics-Men's Hammer Throw)
For 5 Points:
Vadzim Makhneu (Canoe/Kayak Flatwater) (2), Andrei Rybakou (Weightlifling) (3)

Ergo and thusly, nine more of these athletes to pick from. ALL with exceptionally l-o-n-g names that I'll skip on typing up today, if I may . Lots of boxers/wrestlers, rowers and weightlifters from Belarus, though, I must say!

The Results!

45 Points! .... cinnamOn, zorba_scank
40 Points! .... maninmidohio, srini701, szabs
35 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, nakarinna
30 Points! .... denni19, Mugaboo

Very nicely played, everybody (the lead kept changing - which always indicates a good race, eh?). Finally, it was cinnamOn and zorba_scank who emerged on top. Congratulations to them AND thank you all for playing! Have a terrific weekend !

#416483 - Fri Apr 11 2008 05:53 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 5 - 10 played

1. Amanda Holden is a long standing patron of the Born Free Fundation. Pease give me another celebrity supporter of Born Free.
For 10 points: Martin Clunes; Jenny Seagrove
For 5 points: Rachel Hunter [2]; Joanna Lumley [2]; Graham Norton [2]; Helen Worth [2]
Not mentioned: Nick Knowles

2. Ben Fogle is now a television presenter, but he first came to prominence on the BBC television reality show "Castaway 2000" when they spent a year on Taransay. Please tell me another of the adult castaways.
For 10 points: Ray Bowyer; Tanya Cheadle; Ron Copsey; Tammy Huff; Mike Laird; Julie Lowe; Dez Monks; Hillary Stephenson
For 5 points: Patrick Murphy [2]
Not mentioned include: Sandy Colbeck; Warren Latore; Philiy Page; Toby Waterman

3. John Torode is one of the judges on BBC2's "Masterchef" program, Please give me one of the restaurants used by the contestants during the last series.
For 10 points: Artisan; Brumus; Jaan; Le Pont de la Tour; Luciano; Moti Mahal
For 5 points: Mosaico [2]; The Larder [2]
Not mentioned include: Mosimann's; Simpson's in the Strand; Tate Modern Restaurant; Yakitoria

4. Morten Frost has just turned 50, He was twelve years ranked in the top three badmington players. Please name one of the men's singles quarterfinalists, the first time the the IBF World Championships came to Denmark in 1983.
For 10 points: Morten Frost; Icuk Sugiarto; Han Jian
For 5 points: Prakash Padukone [3]; Chen Changjie [2]; Liem Swie King [2]
Not mentioned: Luan Jin; Jens Peter Nierhoff

5. Ronan Keating was a member of the Irish pop grop boyzone. Please give me the name of someone who played the Violin, the their album "By Request" released in 1999
For 10 points: Richard George; Anna Hemery; Gillian Kent
For 5 points: Laura Melhuish [2]; Ann Morfee [2]; Clare Thompson [3]
Not mentioned: Steve Morris; Deborah Widdup

Scores:
40 points: Cinnam0n; Missbecky2007; Srini701; Szabs
35 points: Brandz_mygirl; Denni19; Gatsby722; Maninmidohio; Zorba Scank
30 points: Nakarinna

A close contest, resulting in a quartette points being awarded. Well done Cinnam0n, Missbecky, Srini and Szabs.

#416484 - Fri Apr 11 2008 07:20 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 11

I have been organizing a wine tasting evening as a charity event, hence this weeks theme is wine.

1. Spain has a long history in producing fine wines, most people when they think of Spanish wines they think of Rioja, but the truth is that it is only a small region and although it produces some fine wines the best and most expensive ones come from the Ribera del Duero. Vega Sicilia is indisputably one of the greatest wines of this region and of Spain. From this site please give me the name and year (there are several of the same name but different years) of one of the Vega Sicilia’s wines listed on this page.

2. Champagne is a sparkling French wine but for it to be called Champagne it can only come from the Champagne region of France. There are many different types, styles and flavours of champagne; though there are very strict rules on its production, as it can only be made from 3 grape varieties: Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier. English scientist and physician Christopher Merret documented a second fermentation by the addition of sugar at least 30 years before the work of Dom Perignon who, contrary to legend and popular belief, did not invent champagne, although he developed many advances in the production of this beverage. From this site go to the “ List of Champagne Houses” and please give me the name of one of the Main special Vintages of international fame.

3. Contrary to popular belief Australia has become the fourth largest exporter of wine in the world, exporting over 400 million litres a year, making a significant contribution to the Australian economy. Today they have over 130 varieties of grapes, even though originally they had no native grapes, they were introduced from Europe and South Africa in the late 18th century, in order to produce wine. From this page please give me the name of a wine producing region in Australia.

4. With five centuries of wine-making experience behind them, Chile has some remarkable wines. Missionaries brought cuttings from their native Spain to Chile in the mid-sixteenth century. The climate being similar to their own Meditarrean , and the valleys fertile, the missionaries planted the black pais grape to produce their sacramental wine. Farmers joined the missionaries, and the first plantings gave fruit for more than religious purposes. These commercial wines proved to be popular and were exported to other countries. By the early 1800s, the wines from Chile were proving such a competition for Spanish export wines that the Spanish crown ordered heavy taxes and restrictions followed by acres of vineyards destroyed. Thankfully this did not stop the wine industry of Chile. From the Viña Errazuriz site, please give me the name of one of their Estate wines.

5. Seeing that I have taken you around the world with this wine theme, it is only fair that you should know some good wine tasting tips. The point of wine tasting is simply to find wines that you will thoroughly enjoy. There's no right and wrong when it comes to wine tasting, the bottom line is that a good wine should always give pleasure. It should smell good, taste even better, and be smooth and satisfying by itself or with whatever you're eating. This site will give you 12 steps to taste wine, please briefly tell me one of those steps. May I suggest that you grab yourself a bottle or two and follow these simple steps while answering this round, I am sure you will enjoy this round even more .

I will close this round on Wednesday afternoon FT time, holler if you need any help, and in the meantime enjoy your weekend

#416485 - Sat Apr 12 2008 02:57 PM Re: April Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Well...Round 8 is now closed, but the results won't be available until tomorrow. I am waiting for an answer to be clarified and hopefully, it will arrive soon.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002