Terms of Use

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#416511 - Wed Apr 23 2008 02:02 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday April 23rd 2008
This round is in honour of my new great nephew.
1. A famous William
2. A famous Patrick
3. A fictional William (and what book/series)
4. A fictional Patrick (and what book/series)
5. A traditional present to buy a baby
This round closes at the weekend.

#416512 - Wed Apr 23 2008 02:03 PM Re: April Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 17 Results

7 players entered this round…

1. Please tell me the name of a temporary or permanent anchor design.

For 10 points: Fluke, Mushroom, CQR/Plough

For 5 points: Grapnel (2), Deadweight (2)

Not mentioned: Fisherman/Kedge, Bruce/Claw, Bügel, Bulwagga, and others

2. Please name for me a correspondent, commentator, or debater who has appeared on 60 Minutes.

For 10 points: Stanley Crouch, Shana Alexander, Diane Sawyer, Morley Safer, Bob Simon

For 5 points: Harry Reasoner (2)

Not mentioned: Mike Wallace, Ed Bradley, Lesley Stahl, Dan Rather, Meredith Vieira, and others

3. Please choose either a country that won a medal in a medley relay or a person who won a medal an individual medley event at the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens.

For 10 points: Ryan Lochte, Japan, Yana Klockkova, Michael Phelps

For 5 points: Australia (3)

Not mentioned: United States, Germany, Erik Vendt, Laszlo Cseh, George Bovell, Amanda Beard, Kaitlin Sandeno, Kristy Coventry

4. Please follow this link to a list of nine instructions on how to perform basic NLP anchoring, and select one of these instructions.

For 10 points: #6. Choose a third example and anchor the feeling to the same gesture; #9. If the feeling is not intense enough, repeat the procedure; #5. Choose another example of having that feeling and repeat the procedure (steps 3-5)

For 5 points: #4. As the feeling fades, release your 'anchor' and relax - (2); #8. Fire off your anchor and check if the feeling comes back – (2)

Not mentioned: #1. Select a feeling that you would like to have in a particular situation; #2. Take a few moments to remember a time when you had that feeling; #3. Close your eyes and remember that feeling in vivid detail; #7. Check the clock and see how long that took

5. Please tell me one of the ten possible protagonists listed in the sampler.

For 10 points: A ruthless Mafia kingpin, A gangsta rapper, A crackhead, A single mom, An adorable panda cub

For 5 points: Three naughty nurses (2)

Not Mentioned: A cop who doesn't play by the rules, Bigfoot, A group of Orthodox rabbis, A macho NFL quarterback

Scores:

With 50 points: srini701
With 45 points: Gatsby722, brandz_mygirl
With 40 points: denni19
With 35 points: Mugaboo, szabs
With 25 points: maninmidohio

Congratulations to srini701 for emerging from the pack to nab an April trivia point!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#416513 - Thu Apr 24 2008 10:48 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
24 hours to go for Round 21...

#416514 - Thu Apr 24 2008 11:18 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 19 - 7 played

1. The Malta Internet Exchange was launched in 1999. Name one of it's Participants.
For 10 points: GlobalNet; Kemmunet; Primatele
For 5 points: Telemail [2]; Terranet [2]
Not mentioned: Euroweb; Keyworld; MITTS; NextGen; University of Malta; VideoOnLine; Waldonet

2. Name a film that Tom Mix (1880-1840) appeared in, where he doesn't play a character with the first name of Tom.
For 10 points: Three Jumps Ahead; Do and Dare; Chasing the Moon; Trailin'; The Night Horsemen
For 5 points: Eyes of the Forest [2]
Not mentioned include: The Everlasting Whisper; The Rainbow Trail; Stepping Fast; Tom Mix in Arabia; Three Gold Coins

3. Wildseed Farms are located in Texas. Name a seed include in it's Texas/Oklahoma Wildflower Mix.
For 10 points: Scarlet Flax; Baby Blue Eyes; Eyed Daisy; Clasping Coneflower; Tuber Vervain
For 5 points: Drummond Phlox [2]
Not mentioned include: Texas Bluebonnet; Indian Blanket; Tickseed; Lemon Mint

4. "I Feel love" was orginally released by Donna Summer in 1977. Please give me a name of one of the Mixes on the single "I Feel love", as released by Blue Man Group in 2004 (CD or 12" version).
For 10 points: Jason Nevins Big Room Radio Edit; Jason Nevins Electromagnetic Remix; Blue Man Group Radio Edit; Shanghai Surprise Mix; Multimedia Track/Video
For 5 points: DJ Mutter Sweet Beat Mix [2]
Not mentioned: Jason Nevins Big Room Remix; Jason Nevins Big Room Dub; The Professionals Mix; Human Mix; Kap10Kurt Mix

5. Plase give an appetizer from the dinner menu of the Mix restaurant in Las Vegas (On top floor of THEhotel at Mandalay Bay).
For 10 points: "Tender Potato Gnocchi, Asparagus, Parmegiano, Summer Truffle"; "Seared Duck Foie Gras, Date, Meyer Lemon Marmalade"; "Artisanal Pasta, Basil, Trio of Tomato"; "Spicy Crab Salad, Mango, Cucumber and Green Papaya"; "Crunchy Lobster Salad, Chilled Coconut Gazpacho"
For 5 points: Bluefin Tuna Tartare, Melba Toast, Guacamole Condiment [2]
Others include: Answers given were from three different menus, no one chose the "Osetra Caviar, 50 gr., Blinis, Crème Fraíche" at $280, the second most expensive at $32 was "Seared Duck Foie Gras, Daikon Fondant, Huckleberry Sauce". Many more to choose from.

Scores:
50 points: Gatsby722; Maninmidohio
45 points: Denni19
40 points: Srini701
35 points: Brandz_mygirl; Nakarinna; Szabs

Full marks to Gatsby and Maninmidohio - First class play by them both, for a point each.

#416515 - Thu Apr 24 2008 12:23 PM Re: April Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 24 - Thursday

Today's theme is feuding...

1. The Wars of the Roses were a series of wars between the House of Lancaster and the House of York over the throne of England. The wars ended in 1485 after Henry Tudor, of the House of Lancaster, ascended to the throne after soundly defeating Richard III of the House of York in the Battle of Bosworth Field. Please give me the name of a battle that occurred during the Wars of the Roses that is counted as a Yorkist victory.

2. At certain points in history, a feud between two individuals often culminated in one challenging the other to a duel. One famous duel occurred between the great Russian author Alexander Pushkin and French soldier Georges d'Anthès. Pushkin was mortally injured in the duel - especially ironic considering one of his most enduring stories featured tragedy on the dueling field. Pushkin's novel, Eugene Onegin, was adapted into an opera by Tchaikovsky. Please select a (singing) character from the opera Eugene Onegin.

3. One of the most well-known showdowns in American history was the gunfight at the O.K. Corral. Taking place in Tombstone (Arizona) in 1881, the quick but bloody fight pitted the Earps (law enforcement) versus the Clantons/McLaurys (less-than-reputable cowboys). To this date, there is no consensus on which side had the right of the gunfight (i.e. whether the Earps were trying to 'save' the town from the criminal element or whether they were trying to solidify their 'oppressive' regime). Nevertheless, the gunfight and its participants have been featured (in varying degrees of accuracy) in many movies and television shows. Please choose a feature film (no TV) in which Wyatt Earp is a character.

4. Another legendary American feud took place near the Tug Fork River in West Virginia and Kentucky. The Hatfields and the McCoys were branches of the same family who had a major falling out shortly after the end of the Civil War. Supposedly the root of the feud was a proposed marriage between the two clans that was not received well. Whatever the cause, however, the Hatfields and the McCoys argued bitterly over everything from property lines to pigs to illicit affairs. The feud ended in 1891, but its legacy lives on. If you are ever in the Tug Fork area, you might want to do some hiking on the Hatfield-McCoy Trails. Please visit the Trails website and pick out one of their sponsors.

5. Finally, we'll take a look at a significantly less bloody feud - the long-running TV game show Family Feud. On the show, two families try to outscore each other by guessing the most popular answers to certain questions, such as "Name an item you would bring to a barbecue." The show premiered in 1976 and ran until 1985. It has since been reincarnated twice, and is still being taped today. Please name a person who appeared on the original Family Feud exactly four times.

This round will close on Tuesday, April 29th at noon FT time. Please PM me with any questions. Good luck!

#416516 - Fri Apr 25 2008 02:39 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 25

I though I would dedicate this round to the wonderful world of animals.

1. The year of the Polar Bear kicked off on the 1st of January 2008, Polar Bears International (PBI) and zoo officials launched the campaign in order to raise awareness of the problems that polar bears face in a changing Arctic. PBI's two-pronged mission is to support conservation measures through scientific research and to educate the public about issues relating to the polar bear and its habitat. From the PBI site, please go to - Polar Bear Science and give me the name of a PBI Supported research.

2. There are many strange and unusual animals in the world, a few of these specimens can be seen on the Odd Animals site, please give me the name of an unusual animal from this site.

3. The Luangwa, one of the last major unaltered rivers in southern Africa, is the lifeline and protector of the valley it threads. Hippos, elephants, giraffes, lions, leopards, buffalo, and scores of other species flourish in the 20,000 square miles. From this National Geographic site, please give me the title of one of the 18 pictures in the Zambia wildlife photo gallery.

4. It is a known fact that some animals are strange creatures doing the weirdest things and performing tasks in their everyday life that to us sound incredibly unrealistic. From this page give me one of the Strange But True Facts that some animals perform.

5. The WWF (World Wildlife Fund) is the world's largest and most experienced independent conservation organisation; the panda logo is recognised worldwide as a symbol of conservation and sustainable development and their ultimate goal is to build a future where people live in harmony with nature. On the WWF site go to the Adoption Center and please give me the name of an animal which you can adopt.

Let's say we finish this round on Wednesday 30th around noon FT. In the meantime wherever you are enjoy your weekend .

#416517 - Fri Apr 25 2008 12:59 PM Re: April Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 21
"Tammy"
Six skilled participants !

1. Prior to that tragic and gruesome end, however, "Cid" Ricketts Sumner wrote a nice assortment of feel-good books. Tell me a title of one of them.

For 10 Points:
Christmas Gift, Sudden Glory,
For 5 Points:
Ann Singleton (2), Traveler in the Wilderness (2)

Ricketts also wrote "Tammy Tell Me True", "But the Morning Will Come", "The Hornbeam Tree", "Quality", "Saddle Your Dreams", "Tammy in Rome", "Tammy Out of Time", "A View from the Hill" and "Withdraw Thy Foot".

2. Her website (and many other places on the 'Net) offers *The Soldier's Creed* (a creed that Tammy Duckworth believes in fiercely). Please tell me any single sentence from it!

For 10 Points:
I will never accept defeat; I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough, trained and proficient in my warrior tasks and drills; I am an expert and I am a professional; I stand ready to deploy, engage, and destroy the enemies of America in close combat
For 5 Points:
I will always place the mission first (2)

The remainder of The Creed: I am an American Soldier. I am a warrior and a member of a team. I serve the people of the United States and live the Army Values. I will never quit. I will never leave a fallen comrade. I always maintain my arms, my equipment and myself. I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life.

3. Keeping in mind that one inch = one foot (not that that matters, even a little, in this instance), kindly tell me the name of a Man or Woman doll in Tammy's Heirlooms collection.

For 10 Poins:
Abuelo, Dama Gala, Laura in Gold
For 5 Points:
Gentleman in Gold (3)

Man in Blue Suit, Mr. Johnston, Gentleman in Blue, Ana in Green Silk, Parlour Maid, Woman in Silver & Black, Woman in Pink, Mum in Navy Suit and Fairy were the others.

4. May I ask a winner of a GBLA Prize in the "Children's" category that was named in the 21st Century?

For 10 Points:
"Bucking the Sarge" - Christopher Paul Curtis, author; "Chasing Vermeer" - Blue Balliett, author; "Dairy Queen" - Catherine Gilbert Murdock, author; "The Journey" - Sarah Stewart, author & David Small, illustrator
For 5 Points:
"The Shoe Tree of Chagrin" - J. Patrick Lewis, author & Chris Sheban, illustrator (2)

The titles not mentioned are "Barn Burner" - Patricia Willis, author; "Fair Weather" - Richard Peck, author; "Girl Wonder: A Baseball Story in Nine Innings" - Deborah Hopkinson, author & Terry Widener, illustrator; "Boxes for Katje" - Candace Fleming, author & Stacey Dressen-McQueen, illustrator; "A Good Night Walk" - Elisha Cooper, author.

5. To close, please tell me the name of one of Tammy Wynette's husbands OR the name of any of her children (stepchildren won't count).

For 10 Points:
Euple Byrd (married 1959-divorced 1966), Don Chapel (married 1967-annulled 1968), George Richey (married 1978-her death 1998), Tamala Georgette Jones (born 1970)
For 5 Points:
George Jones (married 1969-divorced 1975) (2)

The rest of Miss Wynette's immediate *family tree*: HUSBANDS: Michael Tomlin (married 1976-annulled 1976); CHILDREN: Gwendolyn Lee ("Gwen") Byrd (born 1961), Jacquelyn Faye ("Jackie") Byrd (born 1962), Tina Denise Byrd (born 1965)...

The Results!

45 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, maninmidohio
40 Points! .... Mugaboo, nakarinna
35 points! .... denni19
30 Points! .... szabs

Well-played Round, folks ~ ultimately yielding both brandz_mygirl and maninmidohio as 'heads of the class' today. Congratulations to them and thank you all for sending in [excellent] answers. 'Til next week !

#416518 - Sat Apr 26 2008 11:33 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
ROUND 22 is closed. Results are being edited and will appear here sometime later, hopefully today .

#416519 - Sat Apr 26 2008 05:50 PM Re: April Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Results for ROUND 22

7 players proved to be flowers lovers – Thank you all for sending in your answers.

1 - Find me a movie character (no TV or TV series) who has a FLOWER as their first name - and they need to have a last name too.

10 points ALL: TULIP Hellier (“Looking for Trouble” ), BUTTERCUP Grogan (“The Unsinkable Molly Brown”), HONEYSUCKLE Rose (“Penelope”), HYACINTH Potter (“House of Mystery”), IRIS Simpkins (“The Holiday”), ROSE Dawson (“Titanic”), ROSE Feller (“In Her Shoes”)

2 - The 1964 movie "Send Me No FLOWERS" was directed by Norman Jewison. Give me the title of another movie (again, no TV movies) directed by him in the 60s.

10 points: “The Cincinatti Kid” (1965), “The Thomas Crown Affair” (1968)

5 points: “The Thrill of It All” (1963) [2], “40 Pounds of Trouble” (1962) [3]

Not mentioned: ” The Art of Love” (1965), ” The Russians Are Coming the Russians Are Coming” (1966), “In the Heat of the Night” (1967), “Gaily, Gaily” (1969)

3 - Actress JASMINE Guy was one of the voices in the 1997 animated movie "Cats Don't Dance". Give me any song on the movie's soundtrack - please pick only from those listed on the IMDb site.

10 points: “Animal Jam Session”, “Our Time Has Come”

5 points: “ Pack Up Your Troubles in Your Old Kit Bag” [2], “Tonight I’m Going Out with You” [3]

Not mentioned: "Little Boat On The Sea", "Tell Me Lies", "I Do Believe", "Big and Loud", "Danny's Arrival Song","Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now"

4 - Name for me any actor/actress who was on the cast of the movie "Cactus FLOWER" (1969).

10 points: Walter Matthau, Vito Scotti, Jack Weston, Ingrid Bergman

5 points: Irene Hervey [3]

Not mentioned: Goldie Hawn, Rick Lenz, Eve Bruce, Irwin Charone, Matthew Saks

5 - Name any movie (you already know - no TV stuff) where LILY Tomlin played a character with a first and last name.

10 points: “Getting Away with Murder”, “A Prairie Home Companion”, “The Late Show”, “All of Me”, “Short Cuts”

5 points: “Flirting with Disaster” [2]

Not mentioned: “Nine to Five”, “The Beverly Hillbillies”, “Krippendorf's Tribe”, “Orange County”

The RESULTS for Round 22 are:

With 45 points: Szabs and Maninmidohio – Congratulations!

With 40 points: Brandz_mygirl and Mugaboo

With 35 points: Zorba_scank, Gatsby and Srini

Everybody did very well, the results are very close, as you can easily see, but only Szabs and Maninmidohio are the lucky winners of a monthly point for April. Well done you two !

#416520 - Sun Apr 27 2008 07:27 PM Re: April Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 28 - Monday

I guess it's a theme? ....

1. Jack Johnson is somewhat known for laid-back rock jams like those on his debut album "Brushfire Fairytales". He's a renaissance sort of dude, though, and also has an award-winning movie about surfing ("SEPTember Sessions") to his credit. The soundtrack of the film, as one might expect, is pretty darned good -- an eclectic blend of improvisation, bluesy riffs and jazz-flecked rhythms. So it's a win/win experience ~ one gets to see some of the best surfers in the world while getting to hear some unique and well-placed music at the same time. Please tell me a song from the soundtrack of the 2002 movie/DVD "Jack Johnson: The SEPTember Sessions", OK?

2. Exploration And Production Training Services (or EPTS) is a consortium of highly experienced oil industry professionals, who aspire to share their amassed knowledge/skills with a new generation of young professionals in their field. Pardon me for saying so, but it sounds like a group of likely boring folks all excited about a profession designed to strategically gouge the consumer (*just kidding*). Seriously, however, EPTS consists of geologists, geophysicists, petrophysicists, geochemists, reservoir engineers, well technologists, environmental scientists, and facilities engineers. Nothing unimpressive about their credentials, indeed. If you were of the mind to take a (standard) Geophysics course with the EPTS organization, tell me one on the list of available classes you might select...

3. Rivalda Café & Restaurant is located in the heart of the world-heritage Buda Castle district in BudaPEST and, having opened in just 2000, it's quickly established itself as one of BudaPEST's outstanding dining experiences. It's described as having an inviting atmosphere of casual sophistication, and offers the best in outdoor dining in the quiet calm of its 18th century courtyard. The menu blends modern European cuisine with local goodies - and the wine list is pretty awesome, too. But, alas, we won't be really visiting the lovely place today. It's a good thing that they cater lunch, yes? Kindly tell me an item (no garnishes, etc.) we might order from any of the Rivalda Café & Restaurant's three *lunch catering* menus.

4. STEP looks like a good next word, I reckon (and, as I'm writing this, it's even Shirley Temple's 80th birthday to boot). So let's talk about The International Tap Dance Hall of Fame, shall we?. It's the only hall of fame to exclusively honor the men and women, young and old, who've immortalized the artform of tap. It was founded in 1986 (originally called The American Tap Dance Orchestra) and took on its current name in 2002 and is widely appreciated for its year-round roster of performances, workshops, daily classes for adults and children, tap 'jams' and film presentations. Might you tell me a person who has been inducted into The International Tap Dance Hall of Fame in an EVEN - numbered year? Thank you!

5. Mine (to name a few) were Rosie, Rufus, Abner, Inky, Paradox, Mercedes, Mr. Bill, Spunky and Fernando. Yep, over the years, those were my PETS, all named for various reasons that made complete sense at the time. Since next-to-everything can be found on some sort of list, The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) conducted a veterinarian survey, reviewing hundreds of thousands of pet names to find out which ones are most popular in the United States today. One popular name, you'll find, stands out (it's a well-known pooch around here ) To close today's Round, please tell me one of the Top Ten names for PETS (not just dogs) as assembled by the ASPCA.

This'll close up Friday morning! Have a fine week out there...

#416521 - Sun Apr 27 2008 07:39 PM Re: April Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
It's been a very busy weekend - please forgive me for not posting Saturday's round! I should be able to get it up by tomorrow!

#416522 - Mon Apr 28 2008 02:16 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 23rd April results
1. A famous William
For Ten Points
William Wallace (Scottish patriot), William Hurt, William Butler Yeats, William Shakespeare, William Costello (the original voice of Popeye in animated cartoons), William Alexander “Bud” Abbott (actor), Sir William Herschel (astronomer who discovered Uranus), William Kellogg, William Carlos Williams (poet)
For Five Points
Ten points to all
Not mentioned
William Wordsworth, Prince William and more

2. A famous Patrick
For Ten Points
Patrick Troughton (Actor), Patrick Dempsey, Patrick White, Patrick Rafter, Patrick Adolphe (actor), Patrick Kluivert – (Dutch Intl Football striker), Patrick Kane (NHL player), Patrick J. Hillery (Irish politician), Patrick Flatley (hockey player),
For Five Points
Ten points to all
Not mentioned
Saint Patrick, Patrick Moore (astrologer) and more

3. A fictional William (and what book/series)
For Ten Points
William Hodges (from "Dad's Army"), William D-746541-M Maintenance Robot (Dark Tower series), William "Will" D. Tippin, William Dalton: One of the Dalton brothers from Morris' series "Lucky Luke.", William ("Bill") Simpson (1950 film "All About Eve"), William Monk / character created by the writer Anne Perry, William de Worde ("The Truth" by Terry Pratchett), Captain William Morris (Richard Sharpe novels), Will Parry ("The Subtle Knife" by Philip Pullman)
For Five Points
Ten points to all
Not mentioned
William Tell, Will Scarlet (from Robin Hood) and more

4. A fictional Patrick (and what book/series)
For Ten Points
Patrick Keenan (from "Oz"), [Captain] Patrick Dalroy (G. K. Chesterton novel "The Flying Inn"), Patrick Harper (fictional character created by Bernard Cornwell in the "Sharpe" series of novels), Patrick Bateman (main character in the book/film "American Psycho"), Patrick Harper ("Sharpe" series by Bernard Cornwell), Patrick Kenzie (Dennis Lehane’s book series), Patrick Lanigan ("The Partner" by John Grisham)
For Five Points
Patrick Danville (Dark Tower series) (2),
Not mentioned
Sir Patrick Delany Podmore (Harry Potter series) and more

5. A traditional present to buy a baby
For Ten Points
Plastic duck, Teething ring, Bath towel, Mittens and socks, The newspaper from the day they were born (for preservation), Baby height chart, Rattle, swaddling blanket, Bottle hugger/holder
For Five Points
Ten points to all
Not mentioned
Dummy/comforter, Teddy bear and more

Results - Nine players
SCORES
Brandz_mygirl – 50
Denni – 50
Gatsby – 50
Mugaboo – 50
Nakarinna – 50
Srini – 50
Zorba_Scank – 50
maninmidohio – 45
Szabs – 45
Well done to Brandz_mygirl, Denni, Gatsby, Mugaboo, Nakarinna, Srini and Zorba_Scank!

#416523 - Mon Apr 28 2008 11:06 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 24 will be closing in 24 hours...

#416524 - Tue Apr 29 2008 06:24 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Round 26 (finally)

I was in the car with the radio on yesterday, and was reminded that there is an increasing number of artists who go by only one name. And that is the jumping off point of today's quiz!

1. Jewel (Kilcher) is an American singer, songwriter, and actress. But there are other jewels, and some are more well-known than others because they are used for birthstones. Please give me any jewel that is used for a birthstone. (I am aware that the "official" stones vary, but will accept all variations)

2. One of my favorites is Seal. Although he is a very real person, there are some fictional seals that have become famous over the years. Name one of them.

3. Madonna has been around a long time, and has done her share of acting over the years. Name a movie that Madonna appeared in.

4. Over the last few years, Alecia Moore (better known as Pink) has gained prominence, winning two Grammys during this century. Please name any movie with the word Pink in the title.

5. And then there's Beyonce (Knowles). After performing with Destiny's Child, her solo career has skyrocketed. Name any track on her latest album, B'Day.

If you need help with any of these, I'll be around for questions. This round will close on Saturday at noon.

#416525 - Tue Apr 29 2008 12:24 PM Re: April Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 24 Results

6 players entered this round…

1. Please give me the name of a battle that occurred during the Wars of the Roses that is counted as a Yorkist victory.

For 10 points: First Battle of St. Albans (May 22, 1455), Battle of Barnet (April 14, 1471), Battle of Tewkesbury (May 4, 1471), Battle of Blore Heath (September 23, 1459)

For 5 points: Battle of Mortimer's Cross (February 2, 1461) – (2),

Not mentioned: Battle of Northampton (July 10, 1460), Battle of Towton (March 29, 1461), Battle of Hedgeley Moor (April 25, 1464), Battle of Hexham (May 15, 1464), Battle of Lose-coat Field (March 12, 1470)

2. Please select a (singing) character from the opera Eugene Onegin.

For 10 points: Yevgeny Onyegin (Eugene Onegin), Prince Gremin, Zaretsky, Tatyana

For 5 points: Olga (2)

Not mentioned: Larina, Filippyevna, Lensky, Company Commander, Triquet

3. Please choose a feature film (no TV) in which Wyatt Earp is a character.

For 10 points: Doc (1971), Badman's Country (1958), The Outlaws is Coming (1965), Hour of the Gun (1967)

For 5 points: Masterson of Kansas (1954) - (2)

Not mentioned: Wyatt Earp (1993), Tombstone (1993), Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (1957), and My Darling Clementine (1946), among others

4. Please visit the Hatfield-McCoy Trails website and pick out one of their sponsors.

For 10 points: Tucker Rocky, West Virginia Lottery, Best Western Logan Inn

For 5 points: Hatfield-McCoy Power Sports (3)

Not mentioned: Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Goodyear Tires, among others

5. Please name a person who appeared on the original Family Feud exactly four times.

For 10 points: Tom Wopat, Gavin MacLeod

For 5 points: Grant Goodeve (2), Steve Kanaly (2)

Not Mentioned: Frank Cady, Linda Henning, Gunilla Hutton, and others

Scores:

With 45 points: Mugaboo, Gatsby722
With 40 points: szabs, maninmidohio
With 35 points: brandz_mygirl
With 30 points: denni19

Congratulations to Mugaboo and Gatsby722 for winning one April trivia point each!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#416526 - Tue Apr 29 2008 11:21 PM Re: April Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Round 29 – April quiz

Today’s quiz – ”Once Upon a Time”
The following questions are related to tales of make-believe.

1) Hans Christian Andersen was a Danish citizen who wrote many fairy tales (fictional stories based on folklore which may or may not include fairy characters) for children. There is a statue of Hans Christian Andersen (1805 – 1875) at the town hall square in Copenhagen and “The Little Mermaid” statue at the Copenhagen harbour is a well-known site for or sight to visitors. The International Board on Books for Young People (“IBBY”) has given out the Hans Christian Andersen awards to an author and illustrator of children’s books since 1956, the awards are given every other year. Please give me the name of a winner (author or illustrator) of the Hans Christian Andersen award from 2000 to 2008 inclusive.

2) The German brothers, Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm were well known collectors and publishers of fairy tales in the early 1800s. One of their fairy tales is the story of “Snow White” which Walt Disney made into an animated movie released in 1937. Please give the name of an actor/actress who provided the voice of any character in the Disney animated movie “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs”.

3) “Peter and the Wolf” is a children’s story that was written (text and music) by the Russian Sergei Prokofiev in 1936. The story is spoken by a narrator with accompanying orchestral music. I loved the Disney version. From here, please give me the name of a musical instrument that is used in “Peter and the Wolf”.

4) Washington Irving wrote “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” about the headless horseman. I enjoyed the Disney animated version as a child (and still watch it if I catch it on tv even though I’m all grown up now). I also liked Tim Burton’s 1999 movie version. Irving’s story was part of a collection of short stories published in “The Sketch Book of Geoffrey Crayon, Gent” (commonly known as “The Sketch Book” in short). There are 34 stories in the modern edition of “The Sketch Book”. Please give me the name of any story.

5) “Peter Pan”, the boy who wouldn’t grow up, is another favourite children’s story. Various versions of the story have been made for tv, stage and the big screen. Going back to the Disney (again, I know!) version of Peter Pan that was released in 1953, please give me the title of a song that is heard in the movie.

Very relieved to get the 5 questions out, somewhat overdue. This time, I had the topic in mind but was stuck on the questions to ask. This round will close on Sunday 4 May at noon FT time.. Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Wishing everyone a pleasant day.

#416527 - Wed Apr 30 2008 03:57 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Just a reminder that Round 25 will close in about 7 hours

#416528 - Wed Apr 30 2008 04:26 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 30 ~ Monday

First to report: Happy Birthday! to two (count 'em, two) Trivia Rounds hosts this week. The Misses denni19 and szabs are growing one year *better* in the next several days (denni today, szabs on Friday). So horns and whistles to them !

As for today's Round? Let's just say I'm beating that poor Trivial Pursuit game to death with my skillful inability to think of themes...

1. First category today? It's *Science & Nature*! We are asked "What club was founded in 1903 by Scottish-American environmentalist John Muir?" Yay. A rather easy start, I suppose (and only a week after "Earth Day", too)! The Sierra Club is an environmental group founded in San Francisco (in 1928). Their 'Mission Statement' is sensible/timeless: [in part] To explore, enjoy, and protect the wild places of the earth; To practice and promote the responsible use of the earth's resources. Today, it has hundreds of thousands of members in chapters located throughout the United States, with affiliates in Canada, too. Kindly tell me one of the twelve photographers whose work can be found on The Sierra Club's 2008 Wall calendar. Note - The Sierra Club site will get you right to them ...

2. Next we have the question "What comedy is Shakespeare's shortest play, at 1778 lines?", in *Arts & Entertainment*. I'm pretty lacking for factoids re: anything when it comes to the Bard, so I hadn't even a bad guess on that one. The Comedy of Errors is one of William Shakespeare's earliest plays, written between 1589 and 1594. Aside from its brevity it is also one of his most farcical works, with the bulk of the humor coming from slapstick, mistaken identity, puns and wordplay. I'm needing to know, if you'd oblige me, a word of four letters or more in the last spoken line(s) of Shakespeare's "The Comedie of Errors" -- sentence(s) delivered by 'Dromio of Ephesus'. Thank you!

3. Yet another timely topic, as luck would have it. The subject is *History* and the question is "What country did Bill Clinton visit with a record retinue of over 1,000?" While I think there's absolutely no decent explanation as to why President Bill needed that many attendants , China is the stuff of much attention now, what with hosting the 2008 Summer Olympic Games (amid controversy). One ought to believe in all the political/moral reasons NOT to support the games. One also ought to believe in the spirit of the athletes and why competing there is passionately important to them. The questions rage as to which belief is bigger than the other. The planned Olympic Torch route will carry the torch through six continents from March to August. Please tell me a Torch Relay Leg in Mainland China scheduled for the first half of June, 2008.

4. Onward and upward to *People & Places*, and we're asked "What city are you in if you're slapping hockey pucks down Mario Lemieux Place?" Pittsburgh is a very cool place, hockey slappers and all! I've always thought it one of the more eclectic towns of its kind. After all, it opened the Carnegie Museum in 1895, the world's first museum for modern art. Gene Kelly and TV's 'Mr. Rogers' were born there but so, too, was sexy (Mensa-worthy IQ to boot) Sharon Stone! Then there's Mary Cassatt, who came just a century before a fellow important artist, Mr. Andy Warhol. All things Pittsburgh! In contemporary terms, the city still has something unforgettable for everybody. So, please tell me an ODD-numbered inclusion on the list in the magazine Best of Pittsburgh 2006...

5. Finally we are at the *Wild Card* and need to know: "What was Genghis Khan holding in his hand at birth, according to legend? A blood clot?! Um, with no disrespect to the emperor of the Mongols, the 'largest contiguous empire in history' and no disregard to anything about coagulated blood in 1162 ~ let's discuss his niece (some 31 generations later) ~ Chaka! Amazing that the R&B singer is kin to Genghis, eh!? OK . That's pure hogwash. She was actually born Yvette Marie Stevens in 1953, getting her 'new' name via a Yoruba priest who christened her Chaka Adunne Aduffe Yemoja Hodarhi Karifi in the early 1970s. She's famous for her hits "I'm Every Woman" and "I Feel For You", etc. (and as an early member of funk band Rufus as well). Chaka Khan has won 10 Grammy Awards (so far). Might you tell me one of them -- earned either on her own or with collaboration? Please be specific in your answers, OK?

This one'll close up on Sunday afternoon, methinks? Until we meet again, then.

Edited by Gatsby722 (Wed Apr 30 2008 04:39 AM)

#416529 - Thu May 01 2008 05:39 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
24 hours left to go for Round 28 !

#416530 - Thu May 01 2008 08:41 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 25 7 Great players participated in this round dedicated to the wonderful world of animals.

1. From the PBI site, please go to - Polar Bear Science and give me the name of a PBI Supported research.

For 10 Points: Chukchi Sea, Arctic National Wildlife Refuge Maternal Den Study, Western Hudson Bay, Wrangel Island, Aerial Surveys.

For 5 Points: Human Impact Study (2)

Among Others were: Grrrr in the Growl , Polar Population Project, DNA Study

2. There are many strange and unusual animals in the world, a few of these specimens can be seen on the Odd Animals site, please give me the name of an unusual animal from this site.

For 10 Points: Blind Lobster, Umbrella Mouth Gulper Eel, Bilby, Fossa, Chacoan Peccary

For 5 Points: Carrier Shell (2)

Among Others were: Leaf Muntjac, Babirusa, Turken, Aye-Aye

3. The Luangwa, one of the last major unaltered rivers in southern Africa, is the lifeline and protector of the valley it threads. Hippos, elephants, giraffes, lions, leopards, buffalo, and scores of other species flourish in the 20,000 square miles. From this National Geographic site, please give me the title of one of the 18 pictures in the Zambia wildlife photo gallery.

10 Points to All : River of Life, Safe for Now, Ephemeral Beauty, In the Spotlight, Early Morning Appearance, Close Quarters, In a Mellow Mood

Among Others were: Hippo Central,Catfish Hunter, Quick Clashes, Renewing Rains, Off the Clock.

4. It is a known fact that some animals are strange creatures doing the weirdest things and performing tasks in their everyday life that to us sound incredibly unrealistic. From this page give me one of the Strange But True Facts that some animals perform.

For 10 Points: Snakes can see through their eyelids, Vultures sometimes eat so much they can't take off again, One golden poison-dart frog could kill up to 1500 people with its poison, Many birds migrate, but the Arctic tern flies from the Arctic to the Antarctic, and back again, a trip of 32,000 kilometers, The biggest Antartic inland animal is a wingless fly measuring about 60 mm long.

For 5 Points: The Amazon 'Jesus Christ lizard' can run across water (2)

Among Others were: Elephants spend 23 hours a day eating, The peregrine falcon can spot its prey from more than 8 km away, The sleepiest mammals are armadillos, sloths and opossums. They spend 80 per cent of their lives sleeping or dozing.

5. The WWF (World Wildlife Fund) is the world's largest and most experienced independent conservation organisation; the panda logo is recognised worldwide as a symbol of conservation and sustainable development and their ultimate goal is to build a future where people live in harmony with nature. On the WWF site go to the Adoption Center and please give me the name of an animal which you can adopt.

10 Points For All : Orangutan, Pygmy Marmoset, Tarsier, Tree Frog, Darwins Fox, Snowy Owl, Seal.

Among Others were: Meerkat, Tiger, Sea Otter, Lemur, Moose, Toucan

Scores
With a 4 way tie for 50 points: brandz_mygirl, Lizard Wizard, Maninmidohio, Mugaboo
With 45 points: Gatsby722,
With 40 points: Nakarina
With 35 points: Denni19

Congratulations to all four brandz_mygirl, Lizard Wizard, Maninmidohio, Mugaboo for scoring a perfect 50 points and picking up a point each for April, thank you all for playing.

#416531 - Fri May 02 2008 05:40 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 28 - Monday
"E,P,S,T"
Six exceptional players !

1. Please tell me a song from the soundtrack of the 2002 movie/DVD "Jack Johnson: The SEPTember Sessions", OK?

For 10 Points:
Ganges A GoGo (Bombay The Hard Way), Piglet's Lament (Beat Down Sound), Pirate Looks At 40 (Jack Johnson), Super Bowl Sundae (Ozomatli)
For 5 Points:
F-Stop Blues (Jack Johnson) (2)

Other songs on the album/CD are "What Would You Rather Do?" (The September Sessions Band), "Grey's Groove" (Greyboy), "Willow Tree" (G. Love And Special Sauce), "Thug Style" (The September Sessions Band) and "Meaningless Conversation" (Princes of Babylon).

2. If you were of the mind to take a (standard) Geophysics course with the EPTS organization, tell me one on the list of available classes you might select...

For 10 Points:
AVO and Seismic Inversion; Digital Signal Processing; Seismic Data Processing (Basic)
For 5 Points:
Seismic Data Processing (Advanced) (3)

Basic Geophysics & Seismic Interpretation, Rock Properties for Quantification of Seismic Data, Seismic Attribute Analysis, Seismic Stratigraphy and Seismic Survey Design are the rest in the curriculum.

3. Kindly tell me an item (no garnishes, etc.) we might order from any of the Rivalda Café & Restaurant's three *lunch catering* menus.

For 10 Points:
Chocolate-Hazelnut Cake, Gingered Parsnip and Pear Soup Mixed Strudel, Terrin of Hungarian Perch
For 5 Points:
Hazelnut Pork Medallions (2)

Also available today, for your dining pleasure? Grilled Turkey Breast topped with a spinach-cheese gratin, Coffee, Grilled "Gomolya" Cheese (aged Sheep Cheese) on Mesclun Salad, Berrymisù, Breast of Chicken and Mineral water.

4. Might you tell me a person who has been inducted into The International Tap Dance Hall of Fame in an EVEN - numbered year? Thank you!

For 10 Points:
For Everybody!
Fred Astaire, Bunny Briggs, Steve Condos, Gregory Hines, Donald O'Connor, Eleanor Powell

The others are Dr. Jeni LeGon, the Nicholas Brothers (Dr. Fayard Nicholas & Harold Nicholas), Baby Lawrence, John Bubbles, Bill "Bojangles" Robinson and Ann Miller...

5. To close today's Round, please tell me one of the Top Ten names for PETS (not just dogs) as assembled by the ASPCA.

For 10 Points:
Molly (#8)
For 5 Points:
Max (#1) (2), Bear (#4) (3)
Leaving Sam (#2), Lady (#3), Smokey (#5), Shadow (#6), Kitty (#7), Buddy (#9) and our very own Brandy (#10) unmentioned !

The Results!

45 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, denni19, Mugaboo
35 Points! .... manimidohio, nakarinna, szabs

No middle-of-the-road on that one, I reckon . Either you matched up on one answer or matched up on three? Congratulations to brandz_mygirl, denni19 and Mugaboo for earning *monthly points* and thank you all for taking the time out of your busy schedules to join in! Have a super weekend!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Fri May 02 2008 05:43 AM)

#416532 - Sat May 03 2008 10:15 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Round 26 is now closed - results to come!

#416533 - Sat May 03 2008 11:16 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

ReMiNdEr - Round 29 will be closing in just under 24 hours.

#416534 - Sun May 04 2008 10:13 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 30 - Wednesday
"Trivial Pursuit (Again!)"
Six appreciated participants

1. Kindly tell me one of the twelve photographers whose work can be found on The Sierra Club's (always highly anticipated) 2008 Wall calendar.

For 10 Points:
Mary Liz Austin, Charles Gurche, Wood Sabold, Tom Till
For 5 Points:
Fred Hirschmann (2)

George H. H. Huey, James Randklev, Bruce Jackson and G. Brad Lewis were the others.

2. I'm needing to know, if you'd oblige me, a word of four letters or more in the last spoken line(s) of Shakespeare's "The Comedie of Errors" -- sentence(s) delivered by 'Dromio of Ephesus'. Thank you!

The line: Nay then thus : We came into the world like brother and brother : And now let's go hand in hand, not one before another

For 10 Points:
Then, Thus, Came, Another, Brother, Before

3. Please tell me a Torch Relay Leg in Mainland China scheduled for the first half of June, 2008.

For 10 Points:
Kunming, Mianyang, Xamgyi'nyilha, Zunyi
For 5 Points:
Shaoshan (2)

10 more of these stops are scheduled...

4. So, please tell me an ODD-numbered inclusion on the list in the magazine Best of Pittsburgh 2006...

For 10 Points:
Drive-Thrugh Java - Island Bean Co., Nontraditional Comedy Club - Deek Comedy Nights at The Shadow Lounge
For 5 Points:
Floating Transportation - River Shuttle (2), Jeans Shop - Pittsburgh Jeans Co. (2)

The other *highlighted* things: Strawberry Pancakes - Pamela's, German Chocolate Cake - Bethel Bakery, Cocktail Bar - Firehouse Lounge, Fish Market - Benkovitz Seafoods, New Burger - Five Guys Famous Burgers & Fries -and- Vintage Baubles - Eons Fashion Antique.

5. Chaka Khan has won 10 Grammy Awards (so far). Might you tell me one of them -- earned either on her own or with collaboration?

For 10 Points:
1985 Best R&B Vocal Performance, Female "I Feel for You"; 1984 Best R&B Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal - Rufus - "Ain't Nobody"
For 5 Points:
1991 Best R&B Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal - Ray Charles, Chaka Khan - "I'll Be Good to You" (2); 1984 Best Vocal Arrangement For Two Or More Voices - Arif Mardin, Chaka Khan - "Be Bop Medley" (2)

Chaka also nabbed Grammys in/for 2008 Best R&B Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals; 2008 Best R&B Album; 2003 Best Traditional R&B Vocal Performance; 1993 Best R&B Vocal Performance, Female; 1984 Best R&B Vocal Performance, Female -and- 1975 Best R&B Vocal Performance By A Duo, Group Or Chorus.

The Results!

50 Points! .... Mugaboo ~ Well done !
40 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, maninmidohio, nakarinna
35 Points! .... denni19, szabs

Thank you, thank you, thank you all for joining in and a well-earned point for an uninterrupted set of winning responses goes to our esteemed Mr. Mugaboo today !

#416535 - Sun May 04 2008 12:22 PM Re: April Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 29 is closed. Results will be posted tomorrow. Thank you.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002