Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#416564 - Tue Apr 01 2008 12:13 PM Adobe Flashplayer 9
Anonymous
No longer registered

I can't seem to use things at all now that use it.
One thing I use all the time is Webkinz that needs it.
Ever since the repairman who last came out and messed things up, this is one thing that he messed up and I wasn't having this problem before.

A script in this movie is causing Adobe Flash Player 9 to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive. Do you want to abort the script?
Yes or No

I did try and see just now what the CPU usage is at when this message comes up and it is at 100%. So, is that why I'm getting this message, because the computer doesn't have anymore memory to run anymore?

#416565 - Tue Apr 01 2008 03:39 PM Re: Adobe Flashplayer 9
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
What is using the most memory when the CPU usage is at 100%? I had an anti virus software on my computer at work that was using 98% of my resources, causing my computer to slow (as an example).

Edited by ladymacb29 (Tue Apr 01 2008 03:39 PM)

Editor for Television Category

#416566 - Tue Apr 01 2008 05:01 PM Re: Adobe Flashplayer 9
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ohio USA         
Your excess CPU usage is due to too many programs running in the background. If you are running the Adobe Flash Player with Webkinz, you are eating up all your memory, Amy. It's just like someone who uses their computer for a lot of video gaming. You HAVE to add more memory or your entire system will run like molasses. It sounds like this is the source of your problem, you are trying to make the computer do more than it is capable of and it has no choice but to run slow or shutdown.

#416567 - Tue Apr 01 2008 09:06 PM Re: Adobe Flashplayer 9
Anonymous
No longer registered

Thats what we can't seem to figure out.
The problem started about a year ago when switching from Earthlink Dialup to Bellsouth DSL. Our DSL is wired from my computer to mom's going from the bedroom mine is in through the attic and out to mom's in garage. So, the router and modem are hooked up to mine.

I've had things like Adobe Flash Player and Norton Antivirus ever since getting this computer and no problems at all until the change to DSL.

This problem also seems to be affecting me being able to use other things like my scanner.

Since the problem started we have been looking all over for help on the problem.
1. Got a bit of help from this one site that has alot of it's volunteers also have Bellsouth as their ISP.
2. They said that Norton eats up alot of memory, so I switched to AVG.
3. I've also got rid of so many other
things too- Microsoft Money, plus all the Bellsouth spyware the installation cd they sent us had been loaded on.
4. Have run all the spyware protection programs and got rid of anything it could find too.
5. Plus like I said did have a repairman out too, and the Adobe Flash Player thing actually started after he worked on my computer.

#416568 - Wed Apr 02 2008 03:33 AM Re: Adobe Flashplayer 9
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Did you uninstall the Nortons fully first?

I used to have Nortons SystemWorks installed and that ate my CPU usage so I had to uninstall and just use it from the CD - I seem to remember that it took quite some uninstalling.

#416569 - Wed Apr 02 2008 04:05 PM Re: Adobe Flashplayer 9
ladymacb29 Offline

...reformat....hard...drive....

#416570 - Wed Apr 02 2008 04:14 PM Re: Adobe Flashplayer 9
Anonymous
No longer registered

The repairman who worked on my computer is the one who got AVG installed and all.
He actually did the same on my mom's computer too.
We asked if we needed a removal tool to get Norton out first because of some things we have read, and he said no and did not use one.

I've just now went to search around on my computer to see what would happen if I type in Norton and then I did a search for Symantec to see what it would find and it did seem to find some stuff.
When I typed in Norton it came up with 15 files found-
It found like 6 files that say Nortonviruslogfiles.doc
6 more files that say nortonhelp.doc
1 folder that says NortonAntivirus
another file that says nortonantivirus_2006_key.txt
and then another that says nortonantivirus_key.txt

Then if I type in Symantec it found 12 things-
7 Folders that say Symantec
1 Folder that says Symantec Shared
Then some other weird things
symantec security response download.trojan
synmantec security response W32.Netsky.c@mm
Symantec RUFSI Registry Information
Symantec Antivirus Scanner

#416571 - Wed Apr 02 2008 04:26 PM Re: Adobe Flashplayer 9
ladymacb29 Offline

If you go to Start -> Settings - > Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs, is Norton there? If not, then they may be empty folders. If it is and you want to uninstall it, then uninstall the program.

#416572 - Wed Apr 02 2008 06:19 PM Re: Adobe Flashplayer 9
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

ladymacb made it as clear as possible, Amy. The things you mentioned as "weird" are all components of Norton/Symantec and will go if you remove the program.

#416573 - Wed Apr 02 2008 08:21 PM Re: Adobe Flashplayer 9
Taesma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Bay Area California USA      
Well, Norton can leave a lot of junk behind when you uninstall it, especially the later versions, it seems. Just using "remove programs" doesn't get it all.

Here's a link to the Norton page that gives you a tool to remove it: removal tool
The last Norton's I got, I removed and returned to the manufacturer for a refund. I think it's become one big old piece of bloatware now, that made my computer run horribly and hogged resources.

Edited by Taesma (Wed Apr 02 2008 08:25 PM)

#416574 - Wed Apr 02 2008 08:53 PM Re: Adobe Flashplayer 9
Anonymous
No longer registered

Just went to look in Control Panel under Add/Remove programs and Norton isn't listed there.
Also, just went to look at one of the Folders it had found and yes, stuff is in it.

I can't believe this repairman left all this on my computer. I paid so much money and so did my mom he did the same on her computer too. Looks like he screwed everything up. I would have thought a repairman should check these types of things before leaving.

Any ideas on if the removal tool will even work if it's not in the Add/Remove programs anymore or should I just wait and try and find another repairman to come out and fix it and then they could add more memory to computer too.

One of the other things we are trying to figure out is how much memory is it taking for the modem and router being on my computer? We have it set up doing it wired too. I don't know if that makes any difference with how much you need for wired. Just seems strange that I wasn't having the problems with CPU Usage going to 100% or any of the other problems before the switch to using DSL. I already had things like Norton and Adobe Flashplayer ever since getting this computer and seemed to be working just fine.

#416575 - Wed Apr 02 2008 09:04 PM Re: Adobe Flashplayer 9
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Maybe I am missing something here. You have just employed a technician to work on your PC and you are not happy with the result. Correct? So why are you asking here in FT and not asking him to come and correct what is wrong?

#416576 - Wed Apr 02 2008 09:39 PM Re: Adobe Flashplayer 9
Anonymous
No longer registered

We don't want to use the company anymore due to all the problems. My mom already called once and tried to email them about the problem and they are doing a poor job at everything and don't even recall anything either he did when she called.

So, trying to find help from different computer help places around is why asking in here. Over the holidays when one of my brother-in-law's who is good with computers did get a chance to look at my computer a little while over on Thanksgiving. He could not believe what the repairman did with my computer, and said definitley don't use them anymore.

So, his suggestion was to look around at different computer help forums/sites. He even gave me some links to some sites he goes in.

#416577 - Thu Apr 03 2008 12:30 AM Re: Adobe Flashplayer 9
Anonymous
No longer registered

Just thought I'd let you all know real quick that I might not be able to write back to any questions until like next Thursday because of leaving in the morning to go up to Nashville for my cousins wedding. I actually wrote down some of my passwords to some sites I go on alot just in case I find a computer to use while there.

So, see you all next week
and thank you so much for all the help with all this very complicating computer stuff.

#416578 - Thu Apr 03 2008 02:17 AM Re: Adobe Flashplayer 9
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
Amy, please be aware that this site isn't really intended to be a computer help site, it is a trivia site. We have this forum so that we can help each other where possible but at the end of the day we are not a professional computer help site.

If your brother-in-law is so good with computers get him to sort it out for you, to reformat your hard drive and reinstall programs. Also perhaps he can install more RAM for you if you are short.

#416579 - Thu Apr 03 2008 08:02 AM Re: Adobe Flashplayer 9
ladymacb29 Offline

I agree with the others - we don't have access to your computer and you are not very computer savvy, as it appears, to do the things we suggest. Ask your friends/neighbors in your town for who they use to physically work on their computers - asking in forums only works if you yourself are knowledgeable about the inner workings of computers/software/hardware.

#416580 - Thu Apr 03 2008 08:24 AM Re: Adobe Flashplayer 9
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Amy,
The more you look around at computer help sites and tinker, without knowing what you are doing, the worse you make it and upset yourself more. Get someone in who knows what they are doing, get it fixed, and then leave the computer alone. This is a prime example of "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing".

#416581 - Mon Apr 07 2008 02:25 PM Re: Adobe Flashplayer 9
Anonymous
No longer registered

Hi,
Just a quick message. We are still in Nashville. Actually maybe coming home tomorrow instead of Wednesday because the weather reports looking like it maybe all raining.

Sorry if we misunderstood about this being a place to get help for computer problems. I had actually found this part from another site I was getting help from. They have a computer quiz that is on Funtrivia on their computer help site. Plus have seen other people getting help for complicated problems around here too.
Theres some other sites though we can try out though. My mom also found in the USA Weekeend Magazine thing about this one place that they can use that program to go into your computer from their end and prices were not bad at all. So, thinking of trying them the next chance we get.
A couple of problems with my brother-in-law is he doesn't get over to our house hardly ever. It was his suggestion to go around to different computer help forums for help. He gave a list of sites that he has been too.
I actually know alot more than my mom does on computers, only problem for me is my health and dealing with getting repairmen to come out to the house if we ever do that and all. So, I let her deal with that parts. I make websites all the time. I've taken computer classes at the college here. It was an online class which is what started alot of my computer problems is stuff I had to get for the class.
I just don't know how to like add more RAM and trying to figure out how much I need to add for things we do. Even seems like the repairmen we keep using don't know much either. The last repairguy I kept telling him the CPU usage is at 100% and he kept saying it's suppose to do that. Any suggestions on what to say when they say something like that?
So, he didn't want to add more RAM and he said I don't do any heavy games or anything. Which he was wrong since I use Webkinz.

Thank you so much for all the great suggestions on things to try.
See you all whenever I get back home.
Take Care,
Amy

#416582 - Mon Apr 07 2008 03:30 PM Re: Adobe Flashplayer 9
ladymacb29 Offline

Amy, I hate to tell you, but if you don't know how to add memory, you really aren't at the level to do much computer problem-fixing. As for computer classes, without knowing anything except you took a computer class, it doesn't seem as though it was much that dealt with software/hardware issues...

#416583 - Tue Apr 08 2008 04:39 PM Re: Adobe Flashplayer 9
Anonymous
No longer registered

Yeah, I haven't really taken any classes that deal with hardware fixing. Learned stuff like Windows, Powerpoint, Excel, Access, Word, Internet, stuff all that stuff is mostly what the class dealt with that I took. We did learn some about RAM.

I actually had finished the class ahead of everyone too. Since it was the only class I was taking and I don't work or anything. The class started in January and was suppose to last until May, but I finished in like the end of March.

Only problems I would have with adding anything in the computer is the physical strength to pick up the computer. I use a wheelchair and cane all the time.
My mom isn't much stronger either with being able to lift the computer.
We kind of ran into a problem already with the A drive in the beginning and to prove it's actually a problem they were wanting us to open the computer and look at things which she couldn't do. Was too heavy so couldn't do it.

Even though this isn't really a computer help site, I find it really helpfull to even just come by to read other problems people are having and then helps with learning.
I'm beat from the long ride home we had. Like 9 hours it took us.

#416584 - Wed Apr 09 2008 02:29 AM Re: Adobe Flashplayer 9
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
I wouldn't give anyone remote access to my computer unless I was VERY sure of them, it sound very dangerous to me. When I was employed our computer maintenance company had remote access to our server but they were trusted by my employer, they were very reputable.

#416585 - Sun Apr 13 2008 04:37 PM Re: Adobe Flashplayer 9
Anonymous
No longer registered

Ok, at the moment when I hit the ctrl, alt, delete to see what is going on- the only thing listed in my Applications is Funtrivia
the CPU Usage seems to be staying around 2-7% sometimes going up to 15 briefly.
The other thing it lists for Porcesses is 32.

But then whenever I try and use like my scanner and don't have anything open but that in the Application area, CPU usage keeps going to 100%. Keeps doing this ever since changing to DSL. Same with some of the other things too.

A few things we keep trying to figure out-
1. How much memory does it take to run DSL. The modem and router are both on my computer which has 256MB RAM
2. Would it help anything if we moved the modem and router to my mom's computer which has 512MB RAM

I just checked on my mom's computer to see what it shows for hers to get a better idea what is maybe going on too. It showed for hers that she has 45 processes.
She has a bunch of other things too wrong with her computer too though and currently doesn't have any virus protection. Norton is installed on her computer but it hasn't been working right for months now and her subscription I think has run out now too. AVG is on her computer but not installed.
The other big thing though with her computer is this blue screen she keeps having that wont allow her to shut down the computer. It happend when she tried installing this new mouse on it. So, she tried uninstalling it and just putting the old one back on and didn't seem to help the problem.

The repairguy we had been using and don't want to use anymore with all the problems he didn't do right and all on my computer he can't even get the blue screen to go off her computer either.
Before trying to find someone to come out and add more RAM to my computer, first need to get the stuff corrected that the repairman messed up with.
Getting Norton completely out and we noticed that all the Bellsouth Spyware/Bloatware that we need off too still has some stuff around too if we do a search for Bellsouth on the computer.
The Bellsouth spyware/bloatware also got loaded on my computer too when we switched to the DSL. The frustrating part is that I didn't even put it on there. My nephew is the one who put it on when he was helping get us switched to Bellsouth.
He and his Dad were over- his dad was there to do the wiring since we did it wired- going up in the attic and all to get it from the bedroom where mine is to Garage where mom's computer is.
I guess my nephew didn't know that you could just plug the modem and router in and connect. So, he put the cd in that Bellsouth sent and followed the instructions. Then turned out it was a bunch of spyware and bloatware all on it.

Anyways, was also wondering, has anyone heard of these places at all. My mom found this article in that USA Weekend magazine that comes in the Sunday paper on PC fix it services. She seems to think they look like good company to try. I know they can't do stuff like adding more memory or other hardware.
Seems about the same risk as just looking through the phonebook and calling a company for the 1st time,
and less risky to do because then you don't have a stranger coming into the house that you don't know.
Has anyone ever had these?
1. www.PCLive.com
2. www.support.com

#416586 - Sun Apr 13 2008 06:01 PM Re: Adobe Flashplayer 9
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
Amy, I'm probably sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong,but.... I am going to anyway.

With all the problems you and your mom seem to be having, have you ever thought of simply starting from scratch? Have your hard drive formatted and simply start from step one, that being installing protection? You mentioned checking your Mother's computer, hers with no protection, which means there are probably viruses on it. That would be the last computer I'd compare mine with.

Sounds to me like you are way in over your head. Just have someone (that know's what they are doing) and start from the beginning, that being virus protection.

Just my humble opinion. Add this to what LadyM suggested way back on April 2.

Edited by Jar (Sun Apr 13 2008 06:06 PM)

#416587 - Sun Apr 13 2008 08:31 PM Re: Adobe Flashplayer 9
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
I do so agree, Jar. What I know about computers would fit on a postage stamp, but I do know you don't do a thing till you are protected against viruses. Anyone without a virus protection programme is asking for trouble.

#416588 - Sun Apr 13 2008 09:36 PM Re: Adobe Flashplayer 9
Anonymous
No longer registered

Yes, we agree the computers need to have virus protection.
Plus all those other spyware protection/detection programs- like Spybot Search & Destroy, Ad-Aware SE Personal we have them and a couple others on both computers.

Mine does already have virus protection-AVG. Which does a scan everyday and doesn't seem to find anything.

On my mom's her subscription to Norton just expired a couple months ago I think is when. So, it doesn't protect against any new viruses but it does still do the scans and all for older ones.
She has AVG downloaded on her computer so that next time she gets a chance to do so she is going to uninstall Norton. She printed off all these instructions on how to try and fully get it off.
Only problem she has no time to do it with all the other stuff of course- caring for me and taking me to all my doctor appointments every month, then on top of it all the house work and taking care of other repairs that keep having around the home, and that wedding we just got back from.

That blue screen that keeps coming up on her computer has been happening for over a year now. The only thing it seems to be affecting is not being able to shut down the computer. So, with all the cost and time it would take to have hers reformatted she doesn't want to do that.

Both of us actually just spent alot of money a couple years ago to have the Service Packs installed on our computers. They had to take the computers with them because at the time we didn't have DSL. So it was too huge and all to do with the dialup.

So, if I got mine reformatted, I would lose all that money that went into it.
One of the other big problems that we are concerned about is my scanner drivers. We would need to make 100% sure that we have them backed up before because they don't make that brand anymore. So, you can't find the drivers online.
Scanport Sq300 is the scanner I have.
Then if I can't use the scanner anymore, which is the main thing I enjoy doing helping me get through the days and all creating websites.
I don't have the money for a new scanner or computer.

So, hoping to try and first having someone help finish getting all the Bellsouth stuff and Norton off and then go from there in determining how much memory we should get added on mine to help get this computer through a bit longer until I can get a new computer and scanner.
Still trying to figure out how much memory though does it take for running the modem and router. We keep getting so many different answers to this question. One of the Bellsouth techs said 256MB.
Then other people keep saying not much at all, but didn't say how much.
That is when the problems with the CPU usage going to 100% started when we switched from Earthlink Dialup to Bellsouth DSL. So, adding the modem, router, and then all the stuff my nephew put on with the Bellsouth cd-
Hang on here is a list of some of the stuff the cd had on it-
1. Broadjump Client Foundation
2. Bellsouth HelpCenter
3. Microbrowser.exe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  flopsymopsy, ladymacb29