Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#417582 - Sat Apr 12 2008 05:55 AM Re: I remember when...
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Some of these are "my life"-specific ... but just thinking back got me thinking. So I threw it all in together .

I remember...

- When everybody's house, no matter what time or what day or what month, smelled like something delicious was cooking the minute you walked in the door
- When it felt like being the pinnacle of helpfulness, responsibility, "grown-up"edness and worldly purpose and/or usefulness was to steady the step ladder when Dad was changing the light bulbs (never mind that the step ladder was sturdier without my alleged assistance )
- When my Grandma taught me to wink by sticking her elbow gently into my eye socket (and I learned!)
- When the joy on my Mother's face was almost always genuine - before it took a sinister turn later in life
- When the smell of fresh cucumbers in the kitchen somehow meant only one thing: everything about life was better-than-good because they smelled that perfectly fresh
- When you learned stuff by watching people doing them. Not by watching strangers on a machine of some sort doing them
- When there was such a thrill unmatched in the sound of the *crack* of a brand new book getting opened the first time
- When a test pattern on the ol' black-and-white meant *yep* the day is now officially over
- When it was possible to get a cherry or lemon coke that didn't come that way in a can - somebody actually squirted stuff in and mixed it together!
- When my favorite movie actors in the world were (and I was CERTAIN I'd never change my mind ) Doris Day and Jerry Lewis

*Sigh*. So many relevant then, but likely insignificant now, "things"...

#417583 - Sat Apr 12 2008 07:32 AM Re: I remember when...
Scottie2306 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canberra ACT Australia        
Quote:

We also celebrated Guy Fawkes night in November, which was virtually Summer and oh such a fire risk.

In NSW we celebrated Cracker Night (fireworks) on Empire Day in May. Never had it in November, and I'm talking 1950's. Later it became Commonwealth Day. Can't remember when fireworks shifted to June for Queen's Birthday.

#417584 - Sat Apr 12 2008 07:38 AM Re: I remember when...
lilyalli Offline
Prolific

Loc: Norfolk UK      
Boots, the chemist, had a library.

I used to go by bus by myself every Saturday aged about 10 years to the shop in the centre of the city. The joy I felt when I discovered an Enid Blyton 'Famous Five' or 'Secret Seven' book I had not read was wonderful. I could hardly wait to get home, before reading the book in one session, barely able to stop for meals. I lived for the weekend.

I can see them now, lined up on the shelf - dull colours, dark reds, browns but promising such excitement.....

#417585 - Sat Apr 12 2008 08:28 AM Re: I remember when...
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Party lines on the telephone. Only a few families in town had single lines but the rest of us had to wait to use the phone if someone up the road was using the line you were assigned. If you were talking for too long, the line would constantly be "clicking" as someone would pick up the line then put it back down until you got the hint to hang up. I remember trying to make calls and having to wait until the line was free. And you definitely didn't talk about anything personal or the whole community would know about it.

#417586 - Sat Apr 12 2008 08:59 AM Re: I remember when...
minch Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Vancouver Canada
Boot's library - that brings back memories. I remember the day my mother enrolled me in the children's section and brought me home the book 'Picts and Martyrs' by Arthur Ransome. From then on I made a weekly trip to the libary, and Arthur Ransome became my favorite author.

#417587 - Sat Apr 12 2008 01:30 PM Re: I remember when...
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Oh yes, the Boots library, I remember that but didn't use it as we had a council branch library very close to home and of course all books were free there.

The milkman used to deliver from a float pulled by a horse, the horse knew the route by heart and would move on when he thought it was time. At Christmas the milkman used to call very late on Christmas Eve instead of on Christmas Day. Later they didn't do a 'Christmas Day delivery' when more people had fridges. People often gave the milkman a Christmas drink and the horses used to take the drunken milkmen back to the dairy.

#417588 - Sat Apr 12 2008 02:04 PM Re: I remember when...
PurpleFan Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: New Westminster BC Canada
I remember at my grandfathers place there was a honest to goodness real Malt Shop where we would go as a special treat just him and I.

I remember when certain Hygene products were put in brown paper bags so the "Men" wouldn't see them.

I remember playing outside till it was almost dark.

I remember Black and white tv and Milkmen (My Older Brother was our Milkman)

I remember snow so deep my dad had to shovel it UP off the roof of the garage.

I remember writing thank you notes to people for gifts.

Hanging Clothes outside on the line and in the winter my Father's long John's freezing and standing up in the kitchen on their own till they thawed out.

I remember when there was no MacDonalds.

I remember Penny Candy.

When Coke use to come in Glass Bottles.

When you could get Old Dutch Potatoes Chips in Huge round tins instead of boxes.

I remember outdoor skating til you froze your feet and hands but had a great time.

I remember raiding gardens in the summer and having a huge huge corn roast.

I lived in a rural area and we had septic tanks, no street lights and no sidewalks.

I also remember Party lines on the phone.

I remember what it smelt like during the different seasons before pollution ruined all that.

I remember having to go to school in a blizzard. They didn't let a little snow close down schools.

I remember my first sighting of the Northern Lights. I am still awestruck by them today but I don't get to see them unless we drive home across the prairies in the fall.

Our games were so simple back then.Dodge ball,skipping,hide and seek,canny can, scub baseball,etc.

Swimming lessons in town at the YMCA.

Taking Tap and Jazz and square dancing.

Helping my parents cut the eyes out of potatoes so they could plant the 2 1/2 acres with them then helping to pick off potatoe bugs.

To quote a line from a song "Ah, yes, I remember it well."

#417589 - Sat Apr 12 2008 04:38 PM Re: I remember when...
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
I remember being in the test group for Polio Vaccine ! (After my older brother had it....)

I remember stamps for a buffalo nickel. (egads!)

I remember bananas for 8 cents a pound,

And lastly, I remember gas for 42 cents a gallon!

#417590 - Sat Apr 12 2008 07:53 PM Re: I remember when...
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
I remember being given a banana, for which my mum had queued for hours, and trying to eat it with the skin on.

#417591 - Sun Apr 13 2008 01:13 PM Re: I remember when...
rayven80 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ft. Collins Colorado USA    
I remember when I knew who my neighbors were. I remember when a "thank you" for watching a neighbors house or changing the irrigation water was a goose or a leg of lamb. I remember that if you went to a few different houses on the street with some tomatoes, rhubarb and zucchini, you could get your lawn mower fixed, your trees trimmed, or your wiring checked. I remember writing "thank you" notes, by hand even. I remember when, if the baseball game was on early, you watched it and then did chores. If it was later, you did chores and then you watched the game. What I think is sad is that I'm not really that old and I can think of so many things that "I remember when."

#417592 - Sun Apr 13 2008 01:59 PM Re: I remember when...
Sherry75 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
I can remember making miniature gardens too and exhibiting in the local small flower shows: mirror for the pond, and sandy paths...

There was also a class for the most wildflowers collected (something you certainly are not able to do today)... my sister always used to beat me.

#417593 - Sun Apr 13 2008 02:00 PM Re: I remember when...
Sherry75 Offline
Enthusiast

Can remember when sweets came off rationing after WW2 - my mum bought us some aniseed balls at the local village shop...

#417594 - Sun Apr 13 2008 07:13 PM Re: I remember when...
Yaarbiriah Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Jerusalem Israel
My childhood sounds a little like Bruyere's in some respects.. we lived on the outskirts of a small Lancashire town. there were fields all around and few fears.. I used to roam those fields looking for lapwings, visiting the farm, ponds and such and putting coins on the railway lines to flatten them- or looking for 5 leaf clovers (I'd already found plenty 4 leaf ones)

I remember paying a thruppeny bit as my bus fair to school.
I remember using fountain pens with nibs- for some reason it was considered good for us to write with ink, inkwells and blotting paper.. till I was 16. After my O levels I got a decent Parker ballpoint and never used a nib again. The freedoms of sixth form!

I remember watching the lunar landing with my mother on a black and white TV. The only kid in our class at school who had a colour TV also had an indoor pool and (what we thought) was a rather swank red detached house
(Most of the rest of us lived in semi-detached or terraced housing)

I remember 60s pop music playing constantly on the radio in the kitchen, and my mum teaching me how to make cup cakes, and always preferring the batter. My mum also played Tchaikovsky for me while my dad played Tom Lehrer.

There was always a teapot on the table but I never liked the drink. I had Weetabix for breakfast every morning and I was very fussy about the temp. of the milk. Many other memories.. just call me when you have insomnia;)

#417595 - Mon Apr 14 2008 03:00 AM Re: I remember when...
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South Africa          
-I remember when we still used Pounds, Shillings and Pence.
-Going to the second hand book store and exchanging 2 comics for 1.
-Saturday matinee movies for 5c and 5c to spend on an ice-cream cone or a glass bottle of coke. Newsreels before the movie.
-Playing in the street with the kids in the neighbourhood till dark.
-Knowing all your neighbours.
-The ice-cream truck.
-Placing little plastic coupons out for the milkman.
-Checking out books from the library and reading all the Famous Five and Secret Seven books.
-Putting 50c petrol in the car and riding around the whole weekend.
-Paying 50c at the car wash.
-Fish and chips for dinner on friday night.
-No telephone.
-No television (we only got television in 1971).

Oh my the good old days.

#417596 - Mon Apr 14 2008 03:38 AM Re: I remember when...
Sherry75 Offline
Enthusiast

I don't know about anyone else, but this thread has upset me a little at its nostalgia.

I know that kids today have an awful lot of other things which we did not, but miss out on some of the really simple pleasures in life. Although we as a family had very little in the way of material possessions, I can honestly never remember being bored or deprived of anything.

#417597 - Mon Apr 14 2008 07:09 AM Re: I remember when...
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
If you were to ask me if I would like to change the date of my birth then definitely not, I personally think I have lived in probably the best time ever, past and future. I really wouldn't wish to have missed out on everything the way it was way back then, and it is recent enough for medical advances to have been made.

Yes, I remember the ration coupons too.

#417598 - Mon Apr 14 2008 12:02 PM Re: I remember when...
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
I remember

Sainsbury’s shops with mosaic floors and marble counters (there was still an old-fashioned Sainsbury’s shop in Peckham in the late 1970s);

Woolworth’s as it used to be (but we’ve had a thread on this already);

a host of chains of small shops like the Home and Colonial grocers, Maypole dairies, Mence Smith the ironmongers, MacFisheries;

Joe Lyons teashops;

freshly-baked hot bread and rolls from the little shop just up the street. I’d run to the shop to get them, run back with them to Mum, and get a hot roll cut open and spread with butter (well, actually, it was nearly always margarine). Apparently this ought to have played havoc with my digestion, but it never had any ill effects on me;

Sports Report on the wireless (nobody said “radio” in those days) at tea-time on Saturday afternoons, and helping Dad check his football pools as we heard “the classified football results read by James Alexander Gordon.” I think Dad once won something like five shillings.

trolleybuses;

steam engines pulling carriages with little compartments, and windows that could be pulled down to waist level so that you could lean out and have the wind whistling into your face and through your hair, until you got a smut in your eye;

in this part of the world, acres upon acres of hop gardens, and oast houses that were still used for drying the hops and not as cute dwellings for people who’ve made fortunes in the City from other people’s money;

aniseed balls at eight for a penny;

Wills Woodbines and Players Weights cigarettes (These tie in neatly with the aniseed balls. In my early teens I remember buying five Woodbines for eightpence three-farthings (8¾d), and two aniseed balls with the farthing change from 9d. The aniseed balls took the smell of tobacco off my breath before I went home);

the maroons that were detonated to call the crew when the lifeboat had to put to sea;

an ancient Cosser wireless set with accumulator batteries;

Radio Luxembourg.

Edited by TabbyTom (Mon Apr 14 2008 12:05 PM)

#417599 - Mon Apr 14 2008 12:41 PM Re: I remember when...
rayven80 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ft. Collins Colorado USA    
My family always tell me that I was born about a hundred years too late. I would have missed the cable, but it would be a nice change of pace to see more people who call things the way they are.

#417600 - Mon Apr 14 2008 02:54 PM Re: I remember when...
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
Two-way Family Favourites on Sundays followed by Archie Andrews! Whoever dreamed up having a ventriloquist and his dummy on the wireless?

#417601 - Mon Apr 14 2008 03:19 PM Re: I remember when...
Sherry75 Offline
Enthusiast

The Navy Lark and Round the Horn

#417602 - Mon Apr 14 2008 03:26 PM Re: I remember when...
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
Teachers using either the cane, the ruler or the plymsol to whack you when you talked in class or got too few spellings correct.

Teachers smoking in the classroom.

School milk which was too warm in summer and in the winter had ice in the top.

#417603 - Mon Apr 14 2008 04:23 PM Re: I remember when...
minkpenny Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Buenos Aires
Argentina    ...
Quote:

Teachers smoking in the classroom.

Teachers used to smoke in classrooms? Wow! I'm glad that has changed.

#417604 - Mon Apr 14 2008 04:54 PM Re: I remember when...
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Smoking in movie theaters. Smoking on airplanes. Smoking in stores. Smoking, while eating, in restaurants.

#417605 - Mon Apr 14 2008 05:14 PM Re: I remember when...
lilyalli Offline
Prolific

Loc: Norfolk UK      
Liberty bodices were worn - as well as a vest, and navy bloomers with pockets for your handkerchief.

Parents were not allowed to stay with children when they went into hospital.

There was ice on the inside of my bedroom window most mornings in winter.

School uniform changed from winter tunic to summer dress on a specific date.

I wore a woollen swimsuit which, when waterlogged, dropped almost to my knees.

If one child caught chicken pox, measles or mumps, all the other children would be sent round to play in order to catch it and 'get it out the way'.

My teeth were perfectly white because I was only ever allowed water at home until I was about twelve years old.

We wrote to pen friends from all over the world. I still have the letters.

There were no wrapped packs of Christmas cards. I worked in Woolworths in the holidays which had a massive counter where the cards were all jumbled up and priced individually. You had to take a mental arithmetic test.

We were horrified by the language (which today, wouldn't shock a child) of a soon to be famous pop group playing at our local village hall - 'The Who'.

It was the norm to wear a hat for a job interview.

#417606 - Mon Apr 14 2008 05:15 PM Re: I remember when...
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
"Dick Barton Special Agent" every night at 6.45 on the wireless. Then "Lost in Space", The Archers began in the mid 50's. "Mrs Dale's Diary", "Take it from Here" ("Ooooh Ron!!!! OooooH Eth!!").
The Corona Man(who's for Dandelion and Burdock"?). The jug left out for the milk with a little cover made from lace and weighed down with beads round the edge. The Coalmen, the Chimney Sweep, the Man from the Pru, the Pools Man.
When bottled milk came out my gran had the Co-op deliver, they came about 7, but she was too embarrassed to stop the milkman with the horse and churn , who filled the jug . He came at 6.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943