Rules
Terms of Use

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#417632 - Fri Apr 18 2008 06:30 AM Re: I remember when...
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Ah, but Sue, isn't it the best milk in the world? That's what they tell us, anyway...

#417633 - Fri Apr 18 2008 07:35 AM Re: I remember when...
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
You should be so lucky! We have no cows here, so all milk is imported. Most of it is UHT/longlife and tastes awful
there is a very small farm run by Trappist monks with a few cows, which sells the milk at huge prices.

#417634 - Fri Apr 18 2008 07:36 AM Re: I remember when...
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
Quote:

I paid $3.73/gallon for gas today at the cheapest place around here.

Pretty close to what we're currently paying for a gallon of milk here in the mid southern US.

#417635 - Fri Apr 18 2008 10:51 AM Re: I remember when...
rayven80 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ft. Collins Colorado USA    
Milk and gas are getting fairly even here. A gallon of gas at the cheap place is $3.16. A gallon of milk, again at the cheap place, is $3.20 a gallon.
If things look like they're going really bad, I'm gonna call the local dairy.

#417636 - Mon May 26 2008 06:42 AM Re: I remember when...
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Blinking 'eck, I have just filled my car again and this time it was more than £40! It was £1.049 per litre, I checked, so that is 2.07496 USD. So working in US gallons (not the same as our gallons) the price per US gallon is £3.97 = 7.85394 USD

#417637 - Mon May 26 2008 11:38 AM Re: I remember when...
bluerodeo Offline
Participant

Loc: Greenfield Park Quebec Canada

The NHL was 6 teams.
Elvis was still dead.
Seat belts were ornamental.
Our TV received 4 channels.
Athletes were role models.
"Crack" was something you
avoided on the sidewalk.
"Pong" was cutting edge technology.
If you had 2 phones in the house,
you were considered rich.
When you went to the movies,
it was one movie theater-not 12 in
the same complex.

#417638 - Mon May 26 2008 01:00 PM Re: I remember when...
MadMartha Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Georgia USA
"I remember when we had to walk to school barefoot in the snow uphill both ways." Well, that's more or less what we were told by older folks once upon a time. I rode a yellow school bus myself and no one dared cause trouble. We sat still in the classroom and if any of us had talked back (sassed) a teacher, we would still be in detention after having received a paddling on our back side. Would my parents have killed me? I don't know. I was too scared to find out. I do know, however, had I ever received a paddling at school I would have gotten another one at home. Discipline in school has changed drastically.

#417639 - Mon May 26 2008 10:54 PM Re: I remember when...
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
>>>>>Elvis was still dead

LOL

I remember when microwaves first came out and were considered a novelty .. my Mum won one in a raffle and people did drop around just to see it. That same microwave is still going strong thrity years later.

I remember saying the Lord's prayer and the oath to the Queen in primary school. I'm willing to bet that neither have been said for quite some time!

For the record milk here is about $1.30 a litre for the UHT stuff. (and diesel about $1.95 )

#417640 - Tue May 27 2008 08:20 AM Re: I remember when...
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Quote:

had I ever received a paddling at school I would have gotten another one at home. Discipline in school has changed drastically.

Boy, isn't that the truth? I DID receive a paddling at school in the 5th grade because I was mean to a boy on the school bus and the bus driver told the principal. When I got home I was hoping my parents didn't know, but they knew all right. I got a second spanking from my dad.

#417641 - Fri May 30 2008 04:58 PM Re: I remember when...
lunangry Offline
Explorer

Loc: Sarasota Florida USA       
I remember when I could remember when!

I remember the astonishment of Nintendo and Zelda.
I remember when people didn't have cell phones. And felt no need for them.
I remember when Big Macs came in styrofoam boxes.
I remember 8-tracks.
I remember a high-school teacher solemnly predicting that gas would soon reach $1 a gallon.
I remember having to get up to change the channel on the TV.
I remember spending all my allowance on Pong, and wondering how the heck it worked, anyway?

#417642 - Fri May 30 2008 07:09 PM Re: I remember when...
wdstk Offline
Prolific

Loc: Woodstock Illinois USA        
Backpacking through Europe and my Mom wasn't worried or going to school in Egypt and she felt the same.

#417643 - Fri May 30 2008 07:42 PM Re: I remember when...
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

-I remember walking the three wooded miles to my friend's house in high school and my parents not being worried.

- I remember when kids just 'hung out' in the summer time. We made sandwiches, washed the car, washed the dog, read a book, got up a softball game or listened to the radio for fun. Going to the movies or going shopping in the city was a special event, not something we expected all the time.

#417644 - Tue Jun 17 2008 12:53 AM Re: I remember when...
tsunamicharly Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Memphis
Tennessee USA
Quote:

Lady1, a gallon of milk is usually around $2.25-2.35 here. I pay about 1.50 for a 1/2 gallon.

Good Grief Woboogie, Think I'll move to Michigan. In Memphis, milk has been right at $4.00 a gallon for about 6 months. I'm a milkaholic and would save a bundle! Here's a few things I remember:

I remember racing home from school to watch the soap opera "Dark Shadows".

I also remember the excruciating wait for the Television to warm up and the picture to appear.

I remember Clackers which were glass balls attached to the ends of a string. You clacked them together sort of like the old ball and paddle toy.

I remember some brand of bar soap with a little toy in the center. You had to wait till the bar was almost used up before retrieving the toy. It would then grow fuzzy as it dried. Anyone remember this or the name of the soap?

And I remember a song called "Those Were the Days". We thought they'd never end.

#417645 - Tue Jun 17 2008 04:20 AM Re: I remember when...
tim10001 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Concord
  California USA   
I remember when.....

Trolls were small funny looking plastic figures with wild colorful hair NOT people who misbehave on the internet.

Schwinn made the best bicycles.

Gas was 19 cents a gallon, and for that price a man would actually put the fuel in the car for you, clean the windshield, check the tire pressure and the oil level.

Superballs!

Roller Derby on TV.

There were only three television stations, and you recieved the signal through a strange looking metal sculpture called an antenna, for free!

Family doctors actually made house calls.

All telephones had dials instead of push buttons and there was no such thing as answering machines.

All children were taught in school what to do in the event of a nuclear attack.

Hitchhiking was a viable means of transportation.

Matchbox Cars!

Comic books sold for 12 cents each.

Spam was something to eat.

Edited by tim10001 (Tue Jun 17 2008 04:25 AM)

#417646 - Tue Jun 17 2008 08:47 AM Re: I remember when...
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
the scoop of ice cream was only a nickel at Thrifty.

desks still had a mysterious hole for ink sometimes. They had lids that you banged down on your fingers!

The smell of paste that I sometimes encounter but not often.

one of my first jobs in Sacramento was an answering service operator. My fingers were knotted after my shift from the dials and my nerves were taught after picking up for all sorts of emergencies!

Huffy wasn't a bad second to Schwinn in terms of bike power.

You had to get up and turn the dial to change stations on a TV.

Taking out shards of Clackers. (how do you guys do it? I have a boomers toy quiz that's ready to go and this is one of my items!)

getting hit with a superball from across a suburban street and getting a fat lip.

Jolly roger kites cost under a dollar.

I remember the soap thing.

Do you remember all the goops and things they sold us? One was pink and yucky.

I remember older girls ratting their hair for bee hives.

I remember getting a standard issue pixie when staying with my grandmother or aunt. I remember fighting to keep my long hair.

I remember when only rich kids had braces or only children.
They got called train track and Cadillac, but I think it was jealousy talking!
Now I don't know how people do it, but we managed just barely!

#417647 - Tue Jun 17 2008 09:03 AM Re: I remember when...
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ohio USA         
"I remember some brand of bar soap with a little toy in the center. You had to wait till the bar was almost used up before retrieving the toy. It would then grow fuzzy as it dried. Anyone remember this or the name of the soap?"

Yes! It was called "Fuzzy Wuzzy Bath Soap", tsunamicharly. Great memories here, like the Clackers and Superballs too. Looking at both your posts, I would say you and tim10001 are about the same age I am, as I could have written both of them.

#417648 - Tue Jun 17 2008 09:38 AM Re: I remember when...
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Me, too, Sandy! I can't believe how many hours Clackers kept us occupied, now that I think of it.
And all "kid" activity on our street would stop during the summer at the hour that Dark Shadows was on. We would all congregate at one of our houses to watch it together.

#417649 - Tue Jun 17 2008 09:58 AM Re: I remember when...
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ohio USA         
Yes, cinnam0n, the streets and our boulevard grew very quiet when the bell tolled for Dark Shadows time!

#417650 - Tue Jun 17 2008 10:13 AM Re: I remember when...
wdstk Offline
Prolific

I hated it when they changed the time that Dark Shadows was on because I couldn't get home in tome anymore.

I remember the beginning of All My Children.

I remember when you could get a toy easily out of it's packaging.

When everything, everywhere, wasn't covered with a huge, ugly, warning label.

#417651 - Tue Jun 17 2008 12:58 PM Re: I remember when...
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Dark Shadows was an event in my neighborhood. My mother would not let us watch it and throughout most of that time, we didn't have TV. So we'd sneak out and watch it at a neighbor's.

Remember the bruises from clackers?

I better go finish my quiz or it's going to lose all of its material.

#417652 - Tue Jun 17 2008 01:05 PM Re: I remember when...
tsunamicharly Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Memphis
Tennessee USA
[quoteYes! It was called "Fuzzy Wuzzy Bath Soap", tsunamicharly. Great memories here, like the Clackers and Superballs too. Looking at both your posts, I would say you and tim10001 are about the same age I am, as I could have written both of them.

Thank you so much, Jordandog. A lot of people I know in Memphis don't remember the soap at all. I was beginning to think it was something I dreamed about. But I was raised in Southern Louisiana. Maybe they didn't have it in Tennessee.

And yes, I think we are all close in age. I have vague memories of hearing the mass in Latin and when they changed over, my church did it in Cajun French. It wasn't till we moved I first heard it in English. lol.

Oh, just popped in my head. I remember evacuating for Hurricane Camille and afterwards not being able to even find the street where our house had been.

#417653 - Tue Jun 17 2008 03:31 PM Re: I remember when...
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
I remember the "Clackers" but where I'm from, we called them "Click-Clacks". I had a few of them in different colors, but my favorite pair were purple glitter. I was really good at them.

I vaguely remember the soap toy.

Our TV was black and white with rabbit ears. When we got our first color set, I saw a show where someone was shot and the blood was red and I told my parents I didn't want to watch color anymore.

My favorite candy bar, the Big Hunk, cost a nickel at the corner store. Also for a nickel I'd buy a bar of black licorice to give to my horse.

#417654 - Tue Jun 17 2008 05:01 PM Re: I remember when...
wdstk Offline
Prolific

When you could drink water from just any old hose. It didn't have to be "approved" for drinking.

#417655 - Tue Jun 17 2008 05:22 PM Re: I remember when...
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

The other day I let my kids out on the playground drink out of the hose and someone came up and scolded me for it!

I've let these kids have some of those experiences we had and people keep on thinking I'm doing something awful.
the kids love making their own toys. The other day I cleaned out a bin from an ant attack, took the crate outside to the playground and found a couple of kids using it for a rocket ship or something the next day!

I'm sure you remember cootie catchers. I learned how to do them again.

Does anyone remember literally playing in the gutter? When we had water in there, we'd float boats, stick our feet in the mud, make the grass trimmings float in it.

does anyone remember playing furiously with inner tubes? I think they kept us really busy as they were the ultimate fun toy in the water, the snow or on the grass.

I remember when pennies meant something. Now, kids look down their noses at a handful of quarters when they say, 'mom, have you got a few bucks for ice cream?' and I give them the change cup. I'm still happy to have quarters on me. 25 cents.

#417656 - Tue Jun 17 2008 05:32 PM Re: I remember when...
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

I remember having a little reel to reel tape recorder, on which I recorded scratchy, staticky radio versions of Mony, Mony and the Turtles'
Happy Together-all big top 40 hits at the time.

I also remember my white leather go go boots [ most sixth grade girls had them] and those silly fish net hose, too. When you took your shoes off at night, you couldn't wear sandals because your toes looked like waffles after a day of wearing them.

I remember the teenage boys I knew who wore their hair sort in of a beatle cut and they had to keep slinging their hair off to one side, or it would fall in their faces. I notice a lot of young boys are wearing that style again. It looks like a lot of work, actually.

My sister [ who is some 14 years older than I am] says she remembers the ice wagon that used to stop in front of my great grandmother's house in our little Texas town. [ Maybe right after WWII] she was a very little girl at the time and it was her job to put the sign in the window, which told how much ice was wanted -5, 10 or 15 pounds.

I remember witchy looking Barbie, who wore a striped swim suit and eye makeup like Agnes Moorehead. I got one for Christmas when I was about six and was a bit put off by it.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943