Rules
Terms of Use

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#419531 - Tue May 27 2008 07:02 AM Re: May Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
So sorry for being tardy with Round 24, but here it is now! Over the weekend, we lost 2 well-loved names in entertainment, Dick Martin and Sydney Pollack. Round 24 will help us remember their lives and contributions.

1. Of course, we remember Dick Martin best as the co-host of Rowan and Martin's Laugh-in. Name any regular performer (listed so on IMDB) on that series.

2. Laugh-in created numerous "catchphrases," many of which we still use today. Name any one of them.

3. Sydney Pollack was perhaps best known for his directing. Name any of the films that he directed.

4. Unlike many other directors, Pollack also did a good bit of acting. Name any television show that he guest-starred on. (not as himself)

5. Lastly, name a film that Mr. Pollack produced that he did not also direct.

This round will close on Friday at noon FT time. Have a wonderful week, everyone!

#419532 - Tue May 27 2008 10:50 AM Re: May Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
May 27 – quiz

Today’s quiz title is “Elizabeth” for no particular reason.

1) Probably one of the most famous Elizabeth is Ms. Taylor. I love the movie “National Velvet” which Elizabeth Taylor made in her early teens, I think she was 11 or 12 years old then and it wasn’t her first movie. She is one of the few child actors to succeed as an actor in adulthood. Other than her movies, Ms. Taylor is also well-known for her marriages and love life. Counting her re-marriage to Richard Burton, she has had a total of 8 marriages to-date, which coincidentally equals the number of marriages Mickey Rooney, her co-star from National Velvet, has also had to-date. Please give me the name of any of Mr. Rooney’s wives, former or current.

2) Queen Elizabeth II celebrated her 82nd birthday on April 21. Princess Elizabeth ascended the throne on February 6 1952 upon the death of her father, King George VI. He suffered from lung cancer and was only 56 (that’s so young) when he died. She recently attended a happy occasion when the first of her grand children got married. Please give me the name of any of Queen Elizabeth’s grand children.

3) Elizabeth Barrett Browning was a famous English poet who lived from 1806 to 1861. She was the oldest of 12 children. Her parents were well-to-do and Elizabeth Browning had a good education for a girl of that time, tutored at home. She contracted tuberculosis in her teens and this possibly could have left her with a frail constitution resulting in her early death. She was 39 when she met Robert Browning, a fellow English poet, 40 when she married him and 43 when she gave birth to her son. One of Ms. Browning’s most famous poems is ‘Number 43’ from ‘Sonnets from the Portuguese’, a collection of love sonnets. Please give me any line from Elizabeth Browning’s love sonnet ‘Number 43’ which starts with the letter ‘I’.

4) While doing research for this round, I discovered that a number of famous actresses has Elizabeth as a middle name: Kate Winslet, Helen Hunt, Julie Andrews, Laura Dern. One other perhaps not-so-famous actress but a famous singer (and maybe in recent years, also famous for her turbulent love life/marriage/divorce) with Elizabeth as a middle name is Whitney Houston. Ms. Houston’s mama is aunt to Dionne Warwick, making Whitney and Dionne first cousins. Ms. Warwick is a multiple Grammy award winning singer. She collaborated with Elton John, Stevie Wonder and Gladys Knight to release the song ‘That’s What Friends are For’ in 1985 as a charity single in aid of AIDS research. From Dionne Warwick’s ‘That’s What Friends are For’, please give me any word that starts with the letter ‘C’ –or- has 7-or-more letters in that word.

5) Liz is probably the most popular diminutive of Elizabeth, others would include Beth and Lizzie. Eliza is also a variation of the name Elizabeth and it brings to my mind, “Eliza Doolittle”, from “My Fair Lady”. Julie Andrews played “Eliza Doolittle” on Broadway but the role in the movie musical was given to Audrey Hepburn. Just a quick side note that a young Jeremy Brett (“Sherlock Holmes” on British television in the 1980s and 1990s) played the part of a young man, “Freddy Eynsford-Hill”, who falls in love with the ‘fake’ “Eliza Doolittle” at the racetrack. Please give me the name of any male co-star, must be the lead male role please, of Audrey Hepburn with whom Ms. Hepburn’s character in a movie had a romance/close relationship with. I’m a bit worried about this question, fingers crossed that it’s clear enough.

This round will close on Saturday 31 May at midnight FT time . Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please PM if you need help.

#419533 - Tue May 27 2008 11:43 AM Re: May Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 22 Results

8 players entered this round…

1. Please visit the American Kennel Club website and tell me a possible color a saluki may have.

For 10 points: Black & Silver, White, Black & Tan, Fawn, Red, Cream

For 5 points: Chocolate & Tan (2)

Not mentioned: Black, Chocolate, Silver, and others

2. Please visit the SIU Athletics website and choose a pitcher from the 2008 men's baseball team roster.

For 10 points: Andrew Dunn, Kevin Cover, Shawn Joy, Daniel Etienne

For 5 points: Nick Rice (2), Bryant George (2)

Not mentioned: Tyler Choate, Cody Adams, Jimmy Cornell, and others

3. Please visit the Saluki Club of America website and choose a heading from their "Responsible Ownership of a Saluki" article.

For 10 points: Giving Your Dog Up, Neighbors, Facilities, Continuing Your Education, Attention Type, Finances & Good Care

For 5 points: Veterinarian (2)

Not mentioned: Understand the Breed, Attention Time, Living Space, and others

4. Please pick a station along the Amtrak Saluki route.

For 10 points: Gilman, Centralia

For 5 points: Du Quoin (4), Mattoon (2)

Not mentioned: Chicago Union Station, Homewood, Kankakee, and others

5. Please take a look at this website and select one of the eight other breeds/groups of dogs that are highlighted in the "Dogs That Are Different" article.

For 10 points: Papillon, Pulik, Mexican hairless

For 5 points: Chowchow (3), Lhasa terrier (2)

Not Mentioned: Basenji, Circus dogs, Seeing-eye dogs

Scores:

With 45 points: brandz_mygirl
With 40 points: maninmidohio, Gatsby722, zorba_scank, szabs
With 35 points: Mugaboo, denni19
With 30 points: srini701

Congratulations to brandz_mygirl for winning one May trivia point!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#419534 - Tue May 27 2008 02:12 PM Re: May Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Just a quick reminder Round 23 will be closing in 24 hours.

#419535 - Tue May 27 2008 09:00 PM Re: May Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 28 ~ Wednesday

1. George Michael was born on June 25, 1963, given the name Georgios-Kyriacos Panayiotou . His birthplace was East Finchley, a suburb of north London. It seems a bit of a mecca for notables, too - Peter Sellers lived there, Mick Jagger stayed there, too. Singer / comedienne Gracie Fields was a resident. Even the official British hangman of the early 1900s, Thomas Pierrepoint, called East Finchley home. 'The Archer' is an independent nonpolitical and non-religious community-run newspaper based in, and all about, the town. It began in 1993, a few years late to be a feature in George Michael's boyhood, but the chronicle (which is entirely free) reaches app. 9,500 households at present. Please tell me an article's title that appears on pages 1-4 in the May 2008 issue of The Archer!

2. Andrew John Ridgeley (born in 1963) is the other half of the duo that brought George Michael to public notice in the early 1980s ... Wham! While his partner's fame wildly eclipsed his own, Ridgeley still involves himself in the music biz, but not much. He's become quite the environmentalist AND businessman ~ he is co-owner of a successful surfing equipment company now. He's also life-connected to a *Bangle* (that '80s girl band); he and Keren Woodward have been together for years. So, perhaps not as in-the-spotlight as his Wham! mate, he's doing quite well for himself. And he even has a strong fan base of his very own, evidenced by a song recorded by indie band Black Box Recorder in 2003. This time, I'd like to know a line from the tune "Andrew Ridgeley" from Black Box Recorder's album "Passionoia" - and pick a line that begins with the word *I*. Thanks!

3. Despite the endless irritation many found with it, Wham! had their first 'major' hit with "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" in 1984. Then along came "Careless Whisper" very soon after and put the lads (notably Michael) on the musical map. "Careless Whisper" was a worldwide number-one hit in the UK, Japan and North America, ultimately reaching number one in nearly twenty-five countries and selling app. six million copies worldwide. As of right now, it is the 31st highest selling single record of all time! Not surprisingly, too, it landed at #1 on *Billboard's Hot 100* chart for 1985. Have a look at those Billboard Hot 100 chart toppers and tell me a song that was named #1 [annually] within five years BEFORE -or- five years AFTER "Careless Whisper" was the top single of its year.

4. George Michael is mighty wealthy, so it's no surprise that he is involved with many charities OR that he fills his homes with cool artifacts. One especially intriguing artist whose work George both buys and champions is from a *pseudo-anonymous graffiti artist* called Banksy. Very little is known about Banksy but there's some cred to that "He was born in 1974, raised in Bristol, the son of a photocopier, trained as a butcher and became involved in graffiti during the 'aerosol boom' of the late 1980s." His art is often-satirical images on politics, culture, & ethics. Banksy's work emerged from the Bristol underground scene, raw collaborations between artists and musicians. Please have a browse through Banksy's [fascinating] site and give me a brief description of one of the 19 pieces displayed in his gallery of *Indoors* Art. Just a few words about the pic you select ought to be enough.

5. The whole reason for this theme happened last week -- truth is, I've never been a BIG fan of George Michael. But on "American Idol" Finale Night (and I promise, no more "Idol" questions hereafter ), we were stirred hearing: "The rich declare themselves poor / And most of us are not sure / If we have too much / But we'll take our chances / Because God stopped keeping score..."? George sang "Praying For Time" in a most compelling way! Former bartender and gravel-voiced rocker David Cook won "American Idol" that night (this lowly viewer could not have been more happy about that, either) - he worked hard and delivered brilliantly. So, please tell me a song that David Cook sang on "American Idol" once he reached being a Top 10 contender on the program. And please skip any tunes he offered on the Finale show.

Hope you enjoy having a whack (or a *wham* [nyuk, nyuk ]) at these ... and the Round'll close up on Sunday. Around noon. See you then!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Wed May 28 2008 10:20 AM)

#419536 - Wed May 28 2008 11:19 AM Re: May Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 23 is now officially closed, answers will come shortly

#419537 - Wed May 28 2008 11:39 AM Re: May Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 23 Answers
8 Great participants played this round dedicated to “LASERS”

1. There are many thousands of lasers used in the world today, from this page give me the name of a type of Laser.

For 10 Points: Gas Laser
For 5 Points: Semiconductor Lasers (3) Photonic Crystal Lasers (4)
Among others : Chemical, Excimer, Solid State, Fiber Hosted, Dye, Free Electron

2. Laser Glow is a Canadian based company dedicated to selling laser pointers and laser systems for professional work. From the Laser Glow web site, please give me the name of one of their Laser Pointers or High Power Handheld Lasers.

For 10 Points: Aquarius Blue Laser, Aquarius Blue Pointer, Vega Yellow Laser, Lyra-C Green Pointer, Aries Green Laser, Rigel yellow pointer
For 5 Points: Lyra-F Series Green Laser Pointer (2)
Among others : Galileo, Hercules, Orion, Scorpius

3. The Laboratory for Advanced Software Engineering Research (LASER) is a research lab in the Dept. of Computer Science at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, LASER is dedicated to investigating techniques for reducing software development and maintenance costs while simultaneously improving the quality of the systems produced. From their site , please give me the name of one of their Ph.D Graduates.

For 10 Points: Eric McCall, Jamieson Cobleigh, Laura Dillon, Debra Richardson, Margaret Thompson, Andy Podgurski
For 5 Points: Gleb Naumovich (2)
Among others : Aaron Cass, Alex Wolf, Peri Tarr, Albert (Tim) Chamillard

4. The Laser's Edge, is a compact disc distribution service specializing in progressive rock, metal and psychedelic sounds from around the world. From this page , please give me the name of a Hot Progressive Rock and Fusion album.

10 Points to All: Abel Ganz - Shooting Albatross, Kramer - Life Cycle, Nuova Idea - In The Beginning, Mist Season - Mist Season, Cosmics - The Cosmic Year, Pineapple Thief - Tightly Unwound, King's X – XV, Ozric Tentacles - Sunrise Festival

Among others : Secret Oyster - Live In the USA 2007, Birds Of Beauty - Mean Old Men and many more

5. The Laser is one of the most popular single-handed dinghy sailboats in the world. From the International Laser Class Association site , please go to the World Laser Radial Mens Championship 2008, and give me the name of a country that participated in this race.

For 10 Points:Italy, Turkey, Spain, France, New Zealand, Japan
For 5 Points: United States (2)
Among others : Australia, Caledonia, Canada, Greece, Croatia (17 countries in total)

Scores
With a 4 way tie for 45 points: Gatsby722, Nakarina, Zorba_Scank , brandz_mygirl
With 40 points: Denni19, Mugaboo, Srini701
With 35 points:, Maninmidohio

Congratulations to Gatsby722, Nakarina, Zorba_Scank , brandz_mygirl for picking up 1 point each for May , thank you all for playing, and enjoy the rest of your week.

#419538 - Fri May 30 2008 07:17 AM Re: May Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 30 - Friday

As I stated in my first posting, I will base my quizzes on bits of trivia surrounding my life. This time you will learn how my grandfather (father’s father) came to the United States. He was in the German merchant marine serving on the ship Freidrich der Grosse when World War I started. His ship had left New York harbor and was sailing back to Germany, but because the ship did not have enough fuel to make it all the way back (the scheduled refueling stop was in Southhampton) the ship turned back to New York and the ship and crew were interned for the duration of the War. At the end of the war he chose not to return to Germany.

So we will make this round’s theme Frederick the Great (or at least interesting).

1. From the ship history section of the website provided by greatoceanliners.net find the page devoted to the Freidrich der Grosse and read about this landmark ship. From this page give me the name of another passenger ship mentioned.

2. The ship Freidrich der Grosse was named after Frederick the Great (Frederick II of Prussia from 1740-1786). His story has many overtones of tragedy. He was brought up by a strict father and at the age of 18 he tried to flee to England with a friend and a group of junior army officers. When his brother turned the group in, he was imprisoned and instead of being put to death he was forced to watch the execution of his friend. He was pardoned and did succeed to the throne where he led the Prussian army in several wars to expand his realm. He did marry Elisabeth Christine of Brunswick-Bevern, but, supposedly, saw her only once a year. Would you please give me one of Frederick the Great’s parents, grandparents, or great-grandparents but please exclude those with the name of Frederick.

3. Frederick the Great died childless at his favorite residence, Sanssouci in Potsdam. Located just outside Berlin, Sanssouci is a UNESCO World Heritage site. The gardens of Sansouci are world renown. Please tell me one of the marble statues that is incorporated into the Great Fountain at Sanssouci.

4. King of Prussia, Pennsylvania took its name from an early colonial inn called the King of Prussia which was named after Frederick II of Prussia (Frederick the Great). From a small sleepy area just outside Philadelphia it has developed into one of the major shopping meccas on the east coast. The King of Prussia Mall is the largest mall east of the Mississippi River in the United States. From the King of Prussia Mall website, tell me the name of one of the entries under “Restaurants and Fine Dining” with a phone number that begins with 610-337 or 610-354.

5. No quiz based on Frederick would be complete without a stop at Frederick’s of Hollywood. The business was started in 1946 by Frederick Mellinger (inventor of the push-up bra). He may not be Frederick the Great, but many are very appreciative of his invention. Frederick’s of Hollywood is now a major retailer of lingerie in the United States with stores across the nation (including one in the King of Prussia Mall). Please visit the Frederick’s of Hollywood website and tell me one of the collections you could shop from under Bridal.

The round will close around noon (FT time) on Wednesday, June 4. If you need assistance give me a shout. Have a great weekend.

#419539 - Fri May 30 2008 09:09 AM Re: May Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Sorry about the delay in posting Round 29. It will be up later today.

#419540 - Fri May 30 2008 12:47 PM Re: May Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 29 - Thursday

Today's theme is Wicked...

1. "Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West" is a popular novel by bestselling author Gregory Maguire. As many of you probably know, the book chronicles the life of the Wicked Witch from L. Frank Baum's "The Wizard of Oz." Maguire has since released several other books revising classic fairy tales. Before the publication of "Wicked," however, Maguire served as a professor and co-director of the Simmons College Center for the Study of Children's Literature. Please visit the Simmons website and give me the name of a children's literature course with call numbers from 401-420 (on page 2).

2. The Wicked Twister is a steel roller coaster with 450-degree vertical twists at Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio. The Cedar Point amusement park currently holds the record for the greatest number of roller coasters (as well as most roller coasters over 200 feet high and greatest number of park rides as of 2008). Please choose another roller coaster at Cedar Point.

3. "Wicked" is also the first single from rapper Ice Cube's third studio album The Predator. The Predator was released in 1992, shortly after the Los Angeles riots, and many of the songs address racial tensions. Please select another studio album released by Ice Cube.

4. Wicked is a dark 1998 movie about a very disturbed young girl. Julia Stiles won the Best Actress award at the 33rd Karlovy Vary International Film Festival for her portrayal of Ellie Christianson. Please give me the name of any member of the Karlovy Vary grand jury at this (the 33rd) festival.

5. Finally, I'm circling back to the same "Wicked" I started with - except this time I'll be discussing the smash hit musical based on Maguire's book. "Wicked" broke every Chicago box office record during its run here, and spawned many productions throughout the country (and world). Its two main characters are Elphaba (the Wicked Witch of the West) and Glinda (the Good Witch of the North). Please tell me the name of any actress who plays/played either Elphaba OR G(a)linda in the Chicago production of Wicked.

This round will close Wednesday, June 4th at noon FT time. Please PM me with any questions. Sorry again about the delay in posting. Good luck!

#419541 - Fri May 30 2008 06:33 PM Re: May Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 26 - Monday
"Presidential Daughters"
Seven outstanding players (thank you !)

1. To begin, tell me one of the children of Martha Washington Jefferson Randolph.

For 10 Points:
Anne Cary Randolph, Benjamin Franklin Randolph, Ellen Wayles Randolph, Mary Jefferson Randolph, Virginia Jefferson Randolph
For 5 Points:
Meriwether Lewis Randolph (2)

The other kids were Thomas Jefferson Randolph, Cornelia Jefferson Randolph, James Madison Randolph, Septimia Anne Randolph and George Wythe Randolph.

2. This time, kindly peek at a map of Sumter County, S.C. and tell me a numbered highway (interstate, or otherwise) that runs through it or anywhere within it.

For 10 Points:
76, 95, 401
For 5 Points:
261 (2), 763 (2)

The others I spotted were 15, 341, 378, 441, 521, 527. Possibly others?

3. Please tell me the name of one of the songs in that version of "Norma" that was/is on Disk 1 (all of which are also in Act 1). Thanks!

For 10 Points:
Meco all'altar di Venere; Norma viene; Sgombra è la sacra selva ... Deh! proteggimi, o Dio!
For 5 Points:
Eccola! Va, mi lascia ragion non odo (2); Sediziose voci (2)

Ten others from which to choose on that one!

4. Please tell me a team that the Islanders bested in those 4 Stanley Cup finals. OR, if you'd rather, tell me one of the eight teams who played in the finals exactly fifty years before the Islanders won their Cups.

For 10 Points:
Boston Bruins, Chicago Black Hawks, New York Rangers, Philadelphia Flyers, Vancouver Canucks
For 5 Points:
Minnesota North Stars (2)

Edmonton Oilers, Montreal Canadiens, Boston Bruins and Toronto Maple Leafs rounded out the winners and/or almost-winners list.

5. Kindly tell me another movie released after (and including) 1990 for which Billy Weber served as film editor.

For 10 Points:
Miss Congeniality (2000), Showtime (2002)
For 5 Points:
Days of Thunder (3) (1990), Gigli (2003) (2)

Mr. Weber also snipped and shaved The Love Guru, Nacho Libre, The Thin Red Line, Bulworth, Grumpier Old Men and Pure Luck.

The Results!

50 Points! .... denni19 (Great Job !)
45 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, nakarinna
40 Points! .... maninmidohio
35 Points! .... srini701
30 Points! .... szabs
25 Points! .... Mugaboo

Yikes ! I thought I was going to run out of colors on those scores . A really fun mix of answers that time but, as the dust settled, it was denni19 who perched at the top of the scoreboard! Congratulations to her [*hands over one May Trivia point, shakes hands, etc.*]. Great job, everybody - and I appreciate your taking the time to join in! Enjoy the days as they happen!

#419542 - Sat May 31 2008 03:25 AM Re: May Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 31 - - Saturday 31th May

1. The Royal Norwegian Embassy is located serving Australasia, is located in Canberra. Helping in it's work are twelve Honorary consulates. Please give me a city where you would find a Norwegian consulate.
2. Give me a number one song during 2008 (until May 23), in the Argentina top 40 music chart.
3. The Tour of Italy (Cycling) ends on Sunday, please give me any stage winner before today (until 30th May).
4. Name a muscle of the tongue.
5. During WW1 400 New Zealanders created a tunnel network under the city of Arras in northern France. In one tunnel system they named each cave after a New Zealand town. Name one of those caves please.

Answers in by noon Thursday (FT time) please, if you're stuck I'll give you a hint.

#419543 - Sat May 31 2008 08:26 AM Re: May Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Round 24 Results

1. Of course, we remember Dick Martin best as the co-host of Rowan and Martin's Laugh-in. Name any regular performer (listed so on IMDB) on that series.

For 10 points - Henry Gibson, Lisa Raffinger, Tod Bass, Judy Carne, Dick Whittington, Alan Sues, Roddy Maude-Roxby, Pamela Rodgers

Laugh-in created numerous "catchphrases," many of which we still use today. Name any one of them.

For 10 points - "Sock it to Me!," "Marshall McLuhan...what're you doin'?" "A gracious good afternoon. This is Miss Tomlin of the telephone company. Have I reached the party to whom I am speaking?" "Easy for YOU to say!" "Go to your room" "I was wondering if you'd mind if I said something my aunt once said to me." "I just wanna swing!""Is that a chicken joke?"

3. Sydney Pollack was perhaps best known for his directing. Name any of the films that he directed.

For 10 points - Jeremiah Johnson, They Shoot Horses, Don't They?, The Slender Thread, Out of Africa, Absence of Malice, Three Days of the Condor, This Property is Condemned, Bobby Deerfield

4. Unlike many other directors, Pollack also did a good bit of acting. Name any television show that he guest-starred on. (not as himself)

For 10 points - "The New Breed," "Fling," "Mad About You," "The Deputy," "Alfred Hitchcock Presents," "The Asphalt Jungle

5 points - "Have Gun, Will Travel"(2)

5. Lastly, name a film that Mr. Pollack produced that he did not also direct.

For 10 points - Heaven, Sliding Doors, Bright Lights Big City, Honeysuckle Rose, Leaving Normal, Sense and Sensibility

5 points - Iris (2)

Scores

With 50 points, our winners are maninmidohio, nakarinna, brandz_mygirl, szabs

And in second place, with 45 points, are Mugaboo, zorba_scank, Gatsby, and denni.

4 winners and 4 losers! Thanks to all 8 of you for playing!

#419544 - Sat May 31 2008 10:51 AM Re: May Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Hi all, just a reminder that Round 27 will be closing in about 12 hours and 10 minutes.

#419545 - Sat May 31 2008 11:03 PM Re: May Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 27 is closed. Results coming soon...

Edited by brandz_mygirl (Sat May 31 2008 11:06 PM)

#419546 - Sat May 31 2008 11:57 PM Re: May Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

May 27 - Round Answers

7 lovely players for the “Elizabeth” round. Thank you for taking part and a warm welcome to Gemini19

1) Please give me the name of any of Mr. (Mickey) Rooney’s wives, former or current.
For Ten Points: Jan Chamberlin, Marge Lane, Ava Gardner, Betty Jane Rase, Elaine Devry
For Five Points: Carolyn Hockett (2)
Not mentioned: Carolyn Mitchell, Martha Vickers

2) Please give me the name of any of Queen Elizabeth II’s grand children.
For Ten Points: Peter Mark Andrew Phillips, Lady Louise Windsor/Louise Alice Elizabeth Mary
For Five Points: Prince William of Wales/William Arthur Philip Louis (3), Prince Henry of Wales/Prince Harry/Henry Charles Albert David (2)
Not mentioned: Zara Anne Elizabeth Phillips, Princess Beatrice of York/Beatrice Elizabeth Mary, Princess Eugenie of York/Eugenie Victoria Helena, Viscount Severn/James Alexander Philip Theo

3) Please give me any line from Elizabeth Browning’s love sonnet ‘Number 43’ which starts with the letter ‘I’.
For Ten Points:
- I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
- I shall but love thee better after death
For Five Points:
- I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise (2)
- I love thee with a love I seemed to lose (3)
Not mentioned:
- I love thee to the level of everyday's
- I love thee freely, as men strive for Right
- I love thee with the passion put to use
- In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.

4) From Dionne Warwick’s ‘That’s What Friends are For’, please give me any word that starts with the letter ‘C’ –or- has 7-or-more letters in that word.
For Ten Points: Came, Count, Smiling
For Five Points: Forever (2), Close (2)
Not mentioned: Concerned, Chance, Can, Coming, Shining, Knowing, Friends, Thought, Believe

5) Please give me the name of any male co-star, must be the lead male role please, of Audrey Hepburn with whom Ms. Hepburn’s character in a movie had a romance/close relationship with.
For Ten Points: Cary Grant - “Charade”, Fred Astaire – “Funny Face”, William Holden – “Paris, When It Sizzles”
For Five Points: Anthony Perkins – “Green Mansions” (2), George Peppard – “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” (2)
Not mentioned: Sean Connery – “Robin and Marian”, Peter O’Toole – “How To Steal A Million”, Humphrey Bogart – “Sabrina”, Gregory Peck – “Roman Holiday” and more.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
50 points: Zorba_Scank Excellent result in a close-fought round!

Other results:
40 points: Nakarinna
35 points: Maninmidohio, Gemini19, Szabs
30 points: Gatsby
25 points: Mugaboo

#419547 - Sun Jun 01 2008 09:00 AM Re: May Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 28 - Wednesday
"George Michael"
Seven awesome players !

1. Please tell me an article's title that appears on pages 1-4 in the May 2008 issue of The Archer!

For 10 Points:
Accident on the High Road..., Driver killed in accident on Great North Road..., Police want to water down burglary..., Sport returns to Stanley Field..., Super marche invades...
For 10 Points:
Spanish scam... (2)

Several others, including "The night the earth moved for some of us...", "Strange tales of London life..., etc.

2. This time, I'd like to know a line from the tune "Andrew Ridgley" from Black Box Recorder's album "Passionoia" - and pick a line that begins with the word *I*. Thanks!

For those [likely few] curious amongst you, the full body of the lyrics can be found *here* ...

For 10 Points:
I bought my first record because of you, I love everything, I love to be around money, I love you now and I will 'til the day that I die, I put it underneath my pillow
For 5 Points:
I put it down upon the counter (2)

3. Have a look at those Billboard Hot 100 chart toppers and tell me a song that was named #1 [annually] within five years BEFORE -or- five years AFTER "Careless Whisper" was the top single of its year.

For 10 Points:
1982 - "Physical", by Olivia Newton-John; 1987 - "Walk Like an Egyptian" by The Bangles; 1990 - "Hold On" by Wilson Phillips
For 5 Points:
1983 - "Every Breath You Take" by The Police (2); 1988 - "Faith" by George Michael (2)

The others were "Call Me" (1980) by Blondie, "Bette Davis Eyes" (1981) by Kim Carnes, "When Doves Cry" (1984) by Prince, "That's What Friends Are For" (1986) by Dionne and Friends and "Look Away" (1989) by Chicago.

4. Please have a browse through Banksy's [fascinating] site and give me a brief description of one of the 19 pieces displayed in his gallery of *Indoors* Art. Just a few words about the pic you select ought to be enough.

For 10 Points:
Fighter plane with pink bow; Queen Victoria sitting on gartered woman; Rural TV/video cameras on pole; "Smiley" Army in/around tank; Woman on sofa next to red wallpapered elephant
For 5 Points:
Native warriors scoping out shopping carts (2)

Many intensely odd/enigmatic images in that gallery. Such as the two Grannies knitting *thug/punk* sweaters, a pair of ballroom dancers at a toxic waste site -and- a beaten and bloody young girl holding a teddy bear. I'm not sure I "get" all the artwork's meaning ... but it certainly grabbed my attention!

5. So, please tell me a song that David Cook sang on "American Idol" once he reached being a Top 10 contender on the program. And please skip any tunes he offered on the Finale show.

For 10 Points:
Dare You To Move (Switchfoot), Hungry Like The Wolf (Duran Duran), I'm Alive (Neil Diamond)
For 5 Points:
Baba O'Riley (The Who) (2), Innocent (Our Lady Peace) (2)

*Cookie* also sang "Billie Jean", "Little Sparrow", "Always Be My Baby", "The Music Of The Night", "All I Really Need Is You", "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" and "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing".

The Results!

45 Points! .... denni19, gemini19, nakarinna
40 Points! .... brandz_mygirl
35 Points! .... maninmidohio, Mugaboo, szabs

There's a nice friendly, close-scores-all-around board, I'd say! Monthly Trivia Points are awarded to denni19, gemini19 (and I'll echo that "Welcome back!", too ) and nakarinna today. Thank you everyone for playing!

#419548 - Mon Jun 02 2008 10:15 PM Re: May Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

May 19 results will be posted later today. I have not forgotten, sorry for the delay.

#419549 - Tue Jun 03 2008 12:05 PM Re: May Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Round 30 will close in a bit less than 24 hours. All the regulars have not checked in yet, plenty of time for them and new players to get their answers in.

#419550 - Tue Jun 03 2008 12:31 PM Re: May Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 29 will also be closing in just over 22 hours...

#419551 - Wed Jun 04 2008 11:57 AM Re: May Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 29 Results

7 players entered this round…

1. Please visit the Simmons website and give me the name of a children's literature course with call numbers from 401-420.

For 10 points: The Picturebook, Canadian Children's Literature

For 5 points: Contemporary Realistic Fiction (2), Victorian Children's Literature (3)

Not mentioned: Criticism of Literature for Children, Poetry for Young Readers, Fantasy and Science Fiction, Modern British Fiction for Young People, Australian Children's Literature, and Project-Thesis Tutorial

2. Please choose another roller coaster at Cedar Point.

For 10 points: Disaster Transport, Cedar Creek Mine Ride, Woodstock Express

For 5 points: Mantis (2), Jr. Gemini (2)

Not mentioned: Blue Streak, Corkscrew, Gemini, Iron Dragon, and others

3. Please select another studio album released by Ice Cube.

For 10 points: "Lethal Injection," "Raw Footage," "Laugh Now, Cry Later"

For 5 points: "Kill at Will" (2), "Death Certificate" (2)

Not mentioned: "AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted," "War & Peace - Volume 1," "War & Peace - Volume 2"

4. Please give me the name of any member of the Karlovy Vary grand jury at this (the 33rd) festival.

For 10 points: Gila Almagor (Israel), Jirí Menzel (Czech Rep.), Maria Zvereva (Russia)

For 5 points: Jerzy Stuhr (Poland) – (3)

Not mentioned: Vera Belmont (France), Iraklij Kvirikadze (Georgia), Gianni Rondolino (Italy), Jerzy Skolimowski (USA/Poland)

5. Please tell me the name of any actress who plays/played either Elphaba OR G(a)linda in the Chicago production of Wicked.

For 10 points: Stacie Morgain Lewis (Glinda), Kate Fahrner (Glinda)

For 5 points: Dee Roscioli (Elphaba) – (3), Kristy Cates (Elphaba) – (2)

Not Mentioned: Ana Gasteyer (Elphaba), Carmen Cusack (Elphaba), Kate Reinders (Glinda), Erin Mackey (Glinda), among others

Scores:

With 40 points: szabs, zorba_scank
With 35 points: Mugaboo
With 30 points: maninmidohio, Gatsby722, denni19, brandz_mygirl

Congratulations to szabs and zorba_scank for winning one May trivia point each!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#419552 - Wed Jun 04 2008 12:12 PM Re: May Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Round 30 – Frederick the Great

Seven scintillating players participated in Round 30.

1. From the website provided by greatoceanliners.net find the page devoted to the Freidrich der Grosse and give me the name of another passenger ship mentioned.

For 10 points – City of Paris, Majestic, Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse, and Lucania

For 5 points – Vaterland (3)

Not chosen - The Great Eastern, Washington, Impératrice Éugenie, City of New York, Teutonic, Oceanic, Imperator, and Lusitania

2. Would you please give me one of Frederick the Great’s parents, grandparents, or great-grandparents but please exclude those with the name of Frederick.

For 10 points – Ernest Augustus Elector of Brunswick-Lüneburg, Eleonore d'Esmier d'Olbreuse, and George I of Great Britain

For 5 points – George William Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg (2) and Sophia Dorothea of Hanover (2)

Not chosen – Louise Henriette of Orange-Nassau, Sophia of the Palatine, Sophia Charlotte of Hanover, and Sophia Dorothea of Celle

3. Please tell me one of the marble statues that is incorporated into the Great Fountain at Sanssouci.

For 10 points – Venus, Apollo, Mars, Minerva, and Air/Wind

For 5 points – Juno (2)

Not chosen - Mercury, Diana, Jupiter, Fire, Water, and Earth.

4. From the King of Prussia Mall website, tell me the name of one of the entries under “Restaurants and Fine Dining” with a phone number that begins with 610-337 or 610-354.

For 10 points – California Cafe, Blue Pacific Chinese & Sushi, and California Pizza Kitchen

For 5 points – Cheesecake Factory (2) and Corner Bakery Café (2)

Not chosen – Zodiac Restaurant @ Neiman Marcus, Ruby's Diner, Tuscany Pizza Market, Bennigan’s, and Starburst Cafe

5. Please visit the Frederick’s of Hollywood website and tell me one of the collections you could shop from under Bridal.

For 10 points – Bridal Shower Gifts, Garters and Garter Belts, and Bridal Hosiery

For 5 points – Bridal Sleepwear (2) and Full-Figure Brides (2)

Not chosen - Hot Honeymoon Lingerie, Bridal Corsets & Bustiers, Wedding Day Solutions, and Bridal Bras

The results:

45 points: szabs and brandz_mygirl
40 points: gatsby
35 points: Denni, Mugaboo, and nakarinna
30 points: zorba

So with hearty congratulations we award one May trivia point to both szabs and brandz_mygirl. Well done.

Thanks for playing, all of you.

#419553 - Thu Jun 05 2008 11:09 AM Re: May Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 31 - 7 played

1. The Royal Norwegian Embassy is located serving Australasia, is located in Canberra. Helping in it's work are twelve Honorary consulates. Please give me a city where you would find a Norwegian consulate.
For 10 points: Brisbane; Hobart; Fremantle; Darwin; Port Moresby
For 5 points: Adelaide [2]
Not mentioned: Sydney; Melbourne; Wellington; Auckland; Christchurch; Suva

2. Give me a number one song during 2008 (until May 23), in the Argentina top 40 music chart.
For 10 points: Revoloteando (Árbol); Pila Pila (Intoxicados); Los chicos (Andrés Calamaro); Bastara (Los Cafres); Bicho de ciudad (Los Piojos)
For 5 points: Radios (Emmanuel Horvilleur) [2]
Not mentioned: Laten Bolas (Bersuit Vergarabat); Carnaval de Brasil (Andrés Calamaro); Pacifico (Los Piojos); Beautiful Girls (Sean Kingston); El Viaje del Miedo (Catupecu Machu); Chance (Attaque 77); 4 minutes (Madonna & Justin Timberlake)

3. The Tour of Italy (Cycling) ends on Sunday, please give me any stage winner before today (until 30th May).
For 10 points: Alessandro Bertolini; Jens Voigt; Vasil Kiryienka
For 5 points: Matteo Priamo [2]; Franco Pellizotti [2]
Not mentioned: Christian Vande Velde; Riccardo Ricco; Daniele Bennati; Mark Cavendish; Pavel Brutt; Matteo Pria; Gabriele Bosisio; Marzio Bruseghin; Emanuele Sella; Andre Greipel

4. Name a muscle of the tongue.
For 10 points: Inferior Longitudinal; Palatoglossus; Pharyngoglossus; Stylopharyngeus; Verticalis
For 5 points: Superior Longitudinal [2]
Not mentioned include: Chondroglossus; Genioglossus; Hyoglossus; Styloglossus; Transversus

5. During WW1 400 New Zealanders created a tunnel network under the city of Arras in northern France. In one tunnel system they named each cave after a New Zealand town. Name one of those caves please.
For 10 points: Auckland; Nelson; Russell
For 5 points: Bluff [2]; Dunedin [2]
Not mentioned: Blenheim; Christchurch; New Plymouth; Wellington

Scores:
50 points: Zorba Scank
45 points: Brandz_mygirl; Gatsby722
40 points: Nakarinna; Szabs
30 points: Denni19; Maninmidohio

What a great round for Zorba, I've packed her winning point off to India, and should arrive shortly - well done.

#419554 - Fri Jun 06 2008 10:51 PM Re: May Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

May 19 Round - Answers

8 lovely and VERY PATIENT players for the “This past week I….” round.

1) From this page, please give me the name of any airline that operates at Terminal 2. If it operates at both Terminals 2 and 3, that is fine as an answer too.
For Ten Points: Etihad Airways, SilkAir
For Five Points: Singapore Airlines (2), Royal Brunei Airlines (2), Virgin Atlantic Airways (2)
Not mentioned: Air Canada, EgyptAir, LOT Polish Airlines, Lufthansa German Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Philippine Airlines, South African Airways, US Airways

2) From this page, please find me any mobile phone that is priced under S$100.
For Ten Points: Nokia 2630 Dual-band, Nokia 6120 Classic, LG KU800 Tri-band, Sony Ericsson K810i
For Five Points: Sony Ericsson K510i Tri-band (2), Sony Ericsson K910i Quad-band (2)
Not mentioned: LG KU380 Tri-band, MotorKRZR K3M Tri-band, Nokia 5300 Tri-band, Nokia 3120 Classic, Samsung C520 Dual-band, Sony Ericsson K660i Quad-band, Sony Ericsson K770i Tri-band

3) From this page, please list any one of the 10 ten FAQs listed.
For Ten Points: How can I check the status of my S-Pass application on-line?, What is S-Pass?, Is an employee entitled to another day off if a public holiday falls on a rest day or a non-working day?
For Five Points: What is an Employment Pass (EP)? (2), Can I apply for S-Pass while I am on social visit pass? (2)
Not mentioned:
This is the question that has caused all the delays in announcing the results. The page indicated went on maintenance towards the end of that same week I used it in this question and has been on maintenance since! I waited hoping it would come back on-line. The worst thing is that a player couldn’t access the site to answer the question and I couldn’t provide any answers ‘cos I didn’t save a copy of that page. Totally my fault and I feel very bad for that player.

4) From this page, please name any toy that is recommended by the toy company as suitable for kids aged 3 – 5.
For Ten Points: Maverick Pogo Stick, Battery-operated Big Foot Quad Trike, Post Office & Shop/Country Cottage/Princess Castle Pop-Up Playset, Little Tikes Magic Dollbell Playhouse, Wet Head, Sunset Glow Pool, You & Me 15” Battery-operated Potty Doll Set, Village Tent Set (3 pcs)
10 points all!
Not mentioned: Sing Around the World Dora, 18” Lullaby Musical Baby, Giant Kitchen Centre, Fish Fish Fun, Learning Laptop, Table and Chair Set, Thomas & Friends Battery-operated Thomas Ride-on with Track, Play-Doh Sundaes ‘n Splits Ice-Cream Shoppe

5) Please give me an episode title from Season 4 of “House M.D. that was filmed before the writers’ strike started.
For Ten Points: Guardian Angels, Mirror Mirror, Don’t Every Change, 97 Seconds
For Five Points: Ugly (2), You Don’t Want to Know (2)
Not mentioned: Alone, The Right Stuff, Whatever It Takes, Games, It’s A Wonderful Lie, Frozen

RESULTS!

Top Place:
45 points: Flopsymopsy Great work!

Other results:
40 points: Maininmidohio, Mugaboo & Szabs
35 points: Gatsby, Nakarinna & Srini
30 points: Zorba_Scank

It’s nice to have this post finally done. After the PROBLEM with Q3, I didn’t feel like touching this round for ages. Thank you again to everyone for all your patience and apologies to Srini.

#419555 - Sat Jun 07 2008 09:27 AM Re: May Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
And here are the MAY results, folks ...

10 Points ... denni19
9 Points ..... brandz_mygirl
8 Points ..... nakarinna
................. szabs
7 Points ..... maninmidohio
6 Points ..... Gatsby722
................. zorba_scank
3 Points ..... Mugaboo
1 Point ...... flopsymopsy
................. gemini19
................. glendathecat
................. Lizard_Wizard
................. srini701

Year-To-Date Standings:

maninmidohio (39 Points)
nakarinna (35 Points)
brandz_mygirl (31 Points)
szabs (27 Points)
Mugaboo (25 Points)
denni19 (24 Points)
Gatsby722 (24 Points)
zorba_scank (23 Points)
cinnamOn (18 points)
srini701 (6 Points)
gsmoke827 (4 Points)
Lizard_Wizard (4 Points)
ainenei (1 Point)
bethfay (1 Point)
flopsymopsy (1 Point)
gemini19 (1 Point)
glendathecat (1 Point)
Jafato (1 Point)
JaneMarple (1 Point)
LeoDaVinci (1 Point)
missbecky2007 (1 Point)
Santana2002 (1 Point)

Edited by Gatsby722 (Sun Jun 08 2008 08:33 AM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ozzz2002