Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#424032 - Mon Jun 02 2008 08:13 PM June Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
THE FT TRIVIA ROUNDS

Each day (except Sunday) one of our Trivia Round hosts will post 5 questions that have multiple possible correct answers. Each player should PM his or her answers to the host within the time frame specified (at least 48 hours, but usually more). Each unique correct answer provided (one that was not given by any other player) will receive 10 points, each non-unique correct answer will receive 5 points.

No sign-up or registration is required to play!!! and each player can play as many or as few Rounds as he or she chooses.

Mondays - Brandz_mygirl and Gatsby
Tuesdays - Brandz_mygirl and Denni
Wednesdays - Gatsby and JaneMarple
Thursdays - Nakarinna
Fridays - Szabs and Maninmidohio
Saturdays - Mugaboo and Cinnam0n

(I've pretty much kept the same list as was posted in May - please let me know if there are any changes/updates. Thank you!)

... edited to make a roster change that I didn't make the first time [whoops ] ...

Edited by Gatsby722 (Tue Jun 03 2008 07:42 AM)

#424033 - Mon Jun 02 2008 10:51 PM Re: June Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
June 2 – quiz

Today’s quiz title, “Tall” , just for the fun of it ‘cos I’m not…tall that is.

1) Basketball players are tall, and none, I think, are quite as tall as Yao Ming who stands at 7 and a half feet tall. Yao Ming hails from Shanghai, China and currently plays for the Houston Rockets of the National Basketball Association (“NBA”). His parents are both tall, dad is 6ft 7in, mum is 6ft 3in and Yao Ming’s wife is also 6ft 3in. I wonder how tall his kids are going to be. The 2008 NBA finals will be between the Lakers and the Celtics, their 11th meeting at the NBA finals. I watched the 1984 finals (their 8th meeting) when the Celtics won. The finals are a best-of-seven games. Please give me the date when any of the NBA playoff/finals games have been scheduled for 2008 or the arenas where they will be played.

2) Matthew McGrory was an actor who played “Karl the Giant” in the movie “Big Fish”. He stood at 7ft 6in and wore a shoe size of 29 ½. He was know as the world’s tallest actor and was only 32 when he passed away in August 2005. Imdb mentioned that he was over 5 ft tall when he graduated from kindergarten! Please name any movie that Matthew McGrory acted in.

3) Long Tall Sally is a clothing store aimed for the taller women, 5ft 9in and above. The first store opened in London in 1976 by founder Judy Rich, an American based in London. Being 6ft tall she could not find suitable clothing and decided to open her own store where “tall women would be proud to come into, where everything would fit and where they would feel positive about their height”. From the website of Long Tall Sally, please give me the name of any of the staff featured on the Meet the Team page.

4) I have been watching or rather re-watching old episodes of “House M.D.” and noticed how tall Hugh Laurie is when standing against almost anyone else in the show. His co-stars in the show are not short, Robert Sean Leonard is 6ft tall but Hugh is 6ft 2 ½in. Hugh Laurie’s best friend (and godfather to his three children) is Stephen Fry who is even taller than Hugh. Mr. Fry stands at 6ft 4 ½in in his socks. I love Stephen Fry for his wit, his charm, his kindness and his intelligence. Stephen is also known as a very ‘techy-savvy’ man and writes a column “Dork Talk” for The Guardian newspaper. You can also read his “Dork Talk” articles from his blog. Please give me the title of any of Stephen Fry’s blog post which also appeared in The Guardian newspaper.

5) Ok, my last question, it’s going to be a toughie. Are you ready? Please give me a word that starts with the letters “TALL”. Hyphenated words will be considered as one word.

Thank you for reading this post, hope you’ll have fun answering the questions. This round will close on Friday 6 June at noon FT time.

#424034 - Tue Jun 03 2008 07:15 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
ROUND 3 - Tuesday

Today's word is "HOME".

1. The 1996 movie "Fly Away HOME" is based on William Lishman's and Joseph Duff's experiment in human-led bird migration. In 1993, they used two ultralight aircraft to lead 18 Canada geese from Ontario to Virginia. The complete success of this enterprise led to the founding of Operation Migration - a non- profit charitable organization promoting the conservation of migratory species.
Please visit the "Operation Migration" official website and give me the name of a Team member who's listed as Volunteer.

2. "A HOME at the End of the World" is a 1990 novel by Pulitzer Prize-winning American author Michael Cunningham. The book chronicles a dozen years in the lives of two best friends who couldn't be more different. From suburban Cleveland in the 60s, to New York City in the 80s, Cunningham masterfully depicts the charged, fragile relationships of urban life today.
From Michael Cunningham's official website please pick the name of a publication who contributed with a review for "A Home at the End of the World".

3. "HOME Page" is a technology television show on the Canadian English language cable channel CP24. Hosted by Jee-Yun Lee, the show frequently has Andy Walker as a guest. Andy produces a highly acclaimed weekly Internet TV show about technology called Lab Rats.
Kindly pay a visit to the 'Lab' (and don't worry, there are no real rats in there ) and come up with an episode whose title starts with "How To..."

4. "HOME" is a play by David Storey. Written in a quasi-absurdist style (heavily influenced by Samuel Becket), it is set in a mental asylum and as the characters interact we come to realize their delusions and pretensions are similar to those of people living in a supposedly normal society. The play premiered at the Royal Court Theatre in London, then transferred to Broadway where it opened on November 17, 1970 at the Morosco Theatre.
Please have a look at Morosco Theatre on Wikipedia and give me a title of a notable production that played at that theatre and, ATTENTION!!, the title has to be TWO or THREE words long - no more, no less.

5. For some people "HOME is where the heart is". For others, "Wherever they laid their hat was their HOME" .
I am paraphrasing "Papa Was A Rolling Stone", a well known hit of The Temptations that won three Grammy Awards in 1973 and made it to #168 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.
Please give me any line/verse from "Papa Was a Rolling Stone" containing the word "Mama".

The round stays open till Saturday noon, FT time. I'll be around if any dilemma arises regarding my questions.

#424035 - Wed Jun 04 2008 01:54 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 4th June
Q1 A film with blue in the title
Q2 A song title with blue in the title
Q3 A book title with blue in the title
Q4 Something that is traditionally blue
Q5 Something you can eat which is blue
This ends over the weekend - hope the questions don't make people Blue

#424036 - Thu Jun 05 2008 11:30 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 5 - Thursday

A mondegreen is the misinterpretation of a line or lyric in a song due to similar sounding syllables. The American writer Sylvia Wright coined the term mondegreen after confessing that she had been hearing the final line of the Scottish ballad "The Bonny Earl of Murray" as 'And Lady Mondegreen" instead of the original 'And laid him on the green.' With that in mind, today's topic includes various mondegreens.

1. Starting off with The Beatles, 'girl with kaleidoscope eyes' has been heard as the much unhappier 'girl with colitis walks by.' Colitis is a chronic digestive disease characterized by inflammation of the colon. The Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of Canada (CCFC), an organization devoted to finding cures for these diseases, awards an annual $250 book prize to students studying gastrointestinal disease. Please visit the CFCC website and give me the name of one of the winners of this book prize.

2. Christmas songs are not exempt from misheard lyrics, either. In "Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer," 'all of the other reindeer' becomes 'Olive, the other reindeer.' In acknowledgement of the mondegreen, a children's book and television program were written using the revised lyrics. "Olive, the Other Reindeer" is animated 45-minute-long Christmas television special about a dog who travels to the North Pole to help save Christmas. Please visit the special's IMDB.com website and tell me one of the associated plot keywords.

3. Perhaps one of the more famous mondegreens is 'There's a bathroom on the right' instead of 'There's a bad moon on the rise" in Creedence Clearwater Revival's breakthrough hit, "Bad Moon Rising." Andre "Bad Moon" Rison is a retired American football wide receiver whose troubled personal life earned him his nickname. Rison played for quite a few football teams during the course of his career, both within the National Football League and without. Please choose any team Rison played for from high school to retirement.

4. Ramona Quimby is the rambunctious, imaginative, and misunderstood heroine of many of Beverly Cleary's books. In one of these novels, Ramona wonders what a 'dawnzer lee light' (dawn's early light) is when singing "The Star-Spangled Banner." Please pick any book written by Ms. Cleary that includes Ramona's name in the title.

5. The commonly misheard title of Johnny River's "Secret Agent Man' was adopted as the title of a comic strip. Secret Asian Man is a syndicated comic strip written and drawn by Tak Toyoshima. The strip often centers its discussion around what it means to be "Asian American," as well as other race and ethnic-related issues. Please visit the Secret Asian Man website and select a publication in which the strip appears.

This round will close next Thursday, June 12th at noon FT time, as I'm not sure I will be able to get online until then. Please PM me with any questions; I'll answer as soon as I can. Good luck!

#424037 - Thu Jun 05 2008 11:52 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Reminder - Round 2 will be closing in about 23 hours time.

#424038 - Fri Jun 06 2008 05:02 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 6

This round is dedicated exclusively to the Amazon – Orinoco Region of Venezuela. I lived in Venezuela for many years, and to me this part of the country is one of the most interesting and beautiful places in the world. I was fortunate enough to have travelled extensively in this area, and I thought I would share a bit of this "Lost World" with you, I hope you enjoy it .

1. Mount Roraima known as Cerro Roraima in Spanish, marks the border between Venezuela, Brazil and Guyana, with a peak at 2,810 metres (9,219 feet), the mountain is the highest of Venezuela's distinctive table-top mountains, known as tepuis. It is thought that the reports from early Victorian expeditions to the mountain inspired Sir Arthur Conan Doyle to write his classic adventure , The Lost World, in 1912. The tabletop mountains are considered some of the oldest geological formations on Earth, dating back to the Precambrian Era, some two billion years ago. Lindsay Elms has written an article named “ Mount Roraima: An Island Forgotten by Time, describing the tepui and its surroundings, would you be so kind as to choose one of the pictures on that site .

2. The tepuis which rise dramatically out of the jungle and the Gran Sabana - are believed to be the abodes of gods or spirits. The whole landscape, in fact, is represented in their myths and legends of the local Indian communities. From Russell Maddicks blog , could you please tell me one of the Venezuelan myths and legends, but please only choose one that has the word myth in the title.

3. The Angel Falls is famous for being the world’s tallest waterfall. From the top where it starts to spill over the edge to the water down below is 3,212 feet. The waterfall includes a continuous uninterrupted drop of 2,648 feet. Angel Falls spills over the edge of the Auyantepui, the largest of all the tepuis, translated from the local Indian language, Auyantepui means “House of the Devil. In 1933, American pilot Jimmie Angel was searching for a bed of gold ore when he by chance flew over the tallest waterfall in the world. Four years later in 1937, Angel returned and this time tried to land his plane on top of Auyantepui the plane crashed in the marshy landscape and the entire four person party, including Angel’s wife Maria, had to climb their way down the mountain and return to civilization on foot which took them eleven days. Angel Falls was named in his honour. Russell Maddicks, has had the opportunity to interview Jimmie’s Niece – Karen Angel, from this site , would you be so kind as to tell me one of the questions asked in the interview please condense as some are quite long

4. Orinoco Online is a site dedicated to preserving the legacy of the indigenous societies of the Venezuelan Amazon. This site has a vast collection of ethnographic objects that belong to the area as well as giving a good description of the remote Orinoco region, and its indigenous groups whose rich history offers a compelling perspective on this vital yet rapidly disappearing material culture. From the Orinoco Online site , go to the People section, there you will see the names of 12 indigenous groups, please give me the name of one of them. (If you click on their names it will give you each tribes fascinating story.)

5. Canaima National Park with an area of three million hectares makes it one of the largest national parks in the world, becoming an UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1994,it’s truly one of the world’s most beautiful places. To this day, transportation within the park is very primitive and usually involves small aircraft, hiking, or canoeing the nearest city is Ciudad Bolívar some 600km to the north. The park sits on the border with both Guyana and Brazil but is entirely inside Venezuela. The features of Canaima National Park are the various tepui mountains and the Angel Falls. Canaima has a base camp on the shores of the Caroni River known as the Laguna de Canaima, where there is an airstrip and primitive lodging facilities. I have chosen 25 pictures for you to look at and have a feel of the true beauty of this area, would you be so kind to give me the title of one of the pictures. (Click on them to enlarge them that way you will get a real feel for the area.)

This round will close on Wednesday the 11th of June in the afternoon FT time. In the meantime enjoy your weekend wherever you are. If you have any problems I will be around to help.

#424039 - Fri Jun 06 2008 12:22 PM Re: June Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 2 is closed...an hour ago.
Results will be posted some hours later, when I've had some sleep.

#424040 - Fri Jun 06 2008 09:40 PM Re: June Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

June 2 - Round Answers

7 sweeties for the “Tall” round. Thank you very much for playing.

1) Please give me the date when any of the NBA playoff/finals games have been scheduled for 2008 or the arenas where they will be played.
For Ten Points: June 8, June 15, June 19, TD Banknorth Garden (Boston)
For Five Points: June 17 (3)
Not mentioned: June 5, June 10, June 12, Staples Center (LA)

2) Please name any movie that Matthew McGrory acted in.
For Ten Points: Shadowbox, Men in Black II, Existence, Planet of the Pitts
For Five Points: Bubble Boy (3)
Not mentioned: Andre: Heart of the Giant, The Devil’s Rejects, Constantine, The Storyteller, Big Time, House of 1000 Corpses, The Dead Hate the Living!

3) From the website of Long Tall Sally, please give me the name of any of the staff featured on the Meet the Team page.
For Ten Points: Adele, Marsha, Emily
For Five Points: Ella (2), Beth (2)
Not mentioned: Sukina, Carol, Ellen

4) Please give me the title of any of Stephen Fry’s blog post which also appeared in The Guardian newspaper.
For Ten Points:
- … on pimping your browser
- Not sensible, but, oh, the joy of it
- Storm
For Five Points:
- Compact cameras have arrived at That Stage (2)
- Streamium gives you that sinking feeling (2)
Not mentioned:
- Deliver us from Microsoft
- What witchcraft is this?
- Social networking through the ages
- Chasing the perfect smartphone
- Why I love smart toothbrushes and loathe internet plug-ins
and more, I believe there are 15 articles in total

5) Please give me a word that starts with the letters “TALL”. Hyphenated words will be considered as one word.
For Ten Points: Tallage, Tallish, Tallyhoing, Tally, Tallowish, Taller, Tallithim
Everyone's got 10 points for this question and I learned a couple of new words.
Not mentioned: Tallboy, Tallier, Tallis, Tallness, Tallow, Tallow-faced, Tallowy

RESULTS!

Top Place:
45 points: Maninmidohio and Gatsby Very well done!

Other results:
40 points: Mugaboo, Nakarinna & Denni
35 points: Gemini19 & Szabs

Wishing all of you a lovely day.

#424041 - Sat Jun 07 2008 11:14 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

ROUND 3 is now closed.
The results will be posted sometime tomorrow (Sunday).

#424042 - Sun Jun 08 2008 08:12 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Results for ROUND 3

6 wonderful players sent answers for this round.
I thank you all very much!
I wasn't around too much lately and missed playing (or posting) many rounds so I really appreciate it you took the time to *notice* my questions .

1 - Please visit the "Operation Migration" official website and give me the name of a Team member who's listed as Volunteer.

10 points: George McCubbin, Nan Rudd, Claire Foltz, Paula Lounsbury

5 points: Garry Foltz [2]

Not mentioned: Gerald Murphy, Walter Sturgeon, Jack Wrighter, Don Lounsbury

2 - From Michael Cunningham's official website please pick the name of a publication who contributed with a review for "A Home at the End of the World".

10 points: The San Francisco Review, The Washington Post Book World, Los Angeles Times, Newsday

5 points: The Boston Globe [2]

Not mentioned: The San Diego Union-Tribune, The Cleveland Plain Dealer, Detroit Free Press, Charleston Sunday News and Courier

3 - Kindly pay a visit to the 'Lab' and come up with an episode whose title starts with "How To..."

10 points: How To Choose An MP3 Player, How to Fix an iPod

5 points: How to Add a Second Hard Drive [2], How to be a Geek Musician [2]

Not mentioned: How To Buy An LCD Monitor, How to Hide your Data, How to Video Podcast, How to Buy a Mac (computer not hamburger )

4 - Please have a look at Morosco Theatre on Wikipedia and give me a title of a notable production that played at that theatre and, ATTENTION!!, the title has to be TWO or THREE words long - no more, no less.

10 points ALL: The Visit, Major Barbara, Uncle Vanya, Forty Carats, A Doll's House, Blithe Spirit

5 - Please give me any line/verse from "Papa Was a Rolling Stone" containing the word "Mama".

10 points: “Hey Mama, folks say that Papa was never much on thinking”, “Hey Mama, I heard Papa called himself a jack of all trades”

5 points: “And Mama, some bad talk going around town” [2], “And Mama looked up with a tear in her eye and said” [2]

Not mentioned: “Mama, I'm depending on you to tell me the truth”, “And Mama just hung her head and said”, “Hey Mama, is it true what they say”

The RESULTS for Round 3 are:

With 45 points: Maninmidohio and Mugaboo – Congratulations!

With 40 points: Brandz_mygirl, Szabs and Gatsby

With 30 points: Zorba_scank

Another close one, with our two gentlemen Maninmidohio and Mugaboo ‘running’ a bit faster and emerging as winners of this round and of a June monthly point each.
Well done you two !

[Seems like the "M" people always win. Maybe I should change my username ]

#424043 - Sun Jun 08 2008 02:22 PM Re: June Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Oops! I accidentally posted instead of PM'ing. Ignore this post!

Edited by nakarinna (Sun Jun 08 2008 02:25 PM)

#424044 - Sun Jun 08 2008 04:53 PM Re: June Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Round 7

My round this time will be about Graduation, since it's that time of year!

1. The traditional graduation headgear is a mortarboard, complete with tassel. From this page, please give me a color of tassel and the corresponding area of study.

2. Please give me a commencement speaker at Harvard University from the year 1990 through the present year. (I am speaking of the main commencement, not that of a specific school, such as Harvard Law or Medicine)

3. From the lyrics of the Beach Boys' song, Graduation Day, please give me a word that begins with a "t" or a "w."

4. According to this list, please give me one of the top 10 graduation songs for 2008.

5. Finally, please give me a word of four or more letters made from the letters in graduation.

This round will close Thursday at noon. Have a wonderful week, everybody!

#424045 - Sun Jun 08 2008 10:10 PM Re: June Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 9 ~ Monday

The *Tonys* (AKA Antoinette Perry Awards for Excellence in Theatre) will be handed out Sunday - and Broadway musicals get all the attention, more often than not. So I thought I'd highlight the dramatic plays here. These are the fine pieces nominated this year (plus one). And nobody sings or dances in any of 'em !

1. The first nominee is August: Osage County, a dark comedy by Tracy Letts. It runs for app. 3.5 hours -- and covers any number of "life events," such as drug abuse, alcoholism, suicide, death, family dysfunction, sexual harassment, aging, generational change, racism, incest, infidelity, and ultimately love ... love within a family, love between two people, and love lost. Whew! The writing is sharp, and the message is ultimately hopeful [tongue-in-cheek throughout], though. On the play's official site, there's an interesting homepage. Have a look at that August: Osage County page and tell me one of the -um- "legal" substances you can find stashed about the premises. Or, if you'd prefer, you can name that other *thing* hidden there. It's up to you !

2. Our next finalist this year is The 39 Steps, a comedy adapted from the 1915 novel by John Buchan and the 1935 film by Alfred Hitchcock. The old film (starring Robert Donat) dealt with spies, assassins, stabbings, sneaks and conspiracies. Turning all that into a comedy must have been a mighty challenge -- but this new version is reportedly terrific! Speaking of Hitch, over at Borgus Productions they've "put together a list of the most significant film techniques that were used by Alfred Hitchcock... and have been simplified for your consideration." Kindly tell me one of those thirteen "film techniques" that the Borgus gang assigns to Mr. Alfred Hitchcock.

3. Another nominee is The Seafarer, by Conor McPherson, set in Baldoyle (north of Dublin). It tells of two brothers, one an alcoholic and the other blind, as they try to establish individual hope AND common ground. Irish actor Conleth Hill appeared in both the Broadway and London Productions (and is a Tony nominee as *Best Performance by a Featured Actor*). He's also in the 2007 Brit sitcom "The Life and Times of Vivienne Vyle" -- about a TV presenter with a preponderance of advice, misfired as it often lands. On the BBC site for the program (which is a stitch, by the way ) there is a section titled 'Your Problems Solved'. Two *problems* offered are: "I'm so agoraphobic I'm afraid to go out." and "My daughter won't eat." Kindly tell me one of the "solutions" given to either dilemma (and please don't use those answers recommending Vivienne Vyle).

4. The final nominee is a play by Tom Stoppard called Rock 'n' Roll. It deals with the significance of modern music as per the democratic movement in Eastern Bloc Czechoslovakia between 1968 and the Velvet Revolution of 1989. The story contrasts the attitudes of a student appalled by the regime in his country with those of his Marxist professor (who staunchly believes in the Soviet ideal). Ending at a 1999 Rolling Stones concert in Prague, the underground Czech band The Plastic People of the Universe are held up as an ideal of resistance to Communism as the story progresses. This time, please look at the lyrics of The Plastic People of the Universe's song "One Hundred Points" and pick one of the first ten things *they fear* in it. Note: if the tune says "they fear cats and dogs" your answer will then be 'cats and dogs' ... not one or the other, OK?

5. The hostess of the 62nd Tony Awards will be Miss Whoopi Goldberg. She's journeyed all the way from being a young mother on welfare in NYC to becoming an Oscar-winning actress and social activist. Her stage name is after her Jewish ancestors, she says. In '91, she referred to herself as a "Jewish-Catholic girl from New York," noting that her mother is Jewish. A DNA test, broadcast in the 2006 PBS documentary African American Lives, traced her ancestry to the Papel & Bayote people of modern-day Guinea-Bissau, too. Whoopi's genetic makeup turned out to be 92% sub-Saharan African! To finish up, then, please tell me a name (first, middle or last) of the CURRENT President, Prime Minister, Minister of Defense -or- Minister of Economy of Whoopi's *homeland*, Guinea-Bissau.

This'll close Friday afternoon! Have an astonishingly good week in the meantime, yes ?

Edited to update: ! Qu. 4 seems to be a PITA. When I found those lyrics I did not realize that random pages of 8,000 lyrics popped up each time one clicks *Lyrics*. So it's very hit-and-miss on finding that song "One Hundred Points" in any express way. Please feel free to PM me ... and I'll happily send you the words to pick from to speed you along. So sorry ...

Edited by Gatsby722 (Mon Jun 09 2008 10:30 AM)

#424046 - Mon Jun 09 2008 02:43 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 4th June Results!

Q1 A film with blue in the title
For Ten Points
The Wild Blue, Blue Is the Colour (2004), "Undercover Blues", The Blue Butterfly, Traitors of the Blue Castle (1959), Murder in the Blue Room (1944), Blue streak, The Blue Bonnet (1919)
For Five Points
Ten points to all!
Not mentioned
Blue velvet (1986), The Blue Lagoon (1980) and more

Q2 A song title with blue in the title
For Ten Points
Song Sung Blue, Blue Bedroom (Toby Keith), "Blue (Da Ba Dee)" - Eiffel 65, Famous Blue Raincoat, "Blue Dress" by Depeche Mode, Your Blue Room – U2, "Baby Blue" by Bad Boys Blue
Blue suede shoes,
For Five Points
Ten points to all!
Not mentioned
Blue suede shoes , She wore blue velvet and more

Q3 A book title with blue in the title
For Ten Points
"The Blue World" by Jack Vance, Kelley Blue Book (automotive price guide), Blue Smoke and Murder - by Elizabeth Lowell, Where Are You, Blue Kangaroo? by Emma Chichester Clark, Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland, Two Little Girls in Blue - Mary Higgins Clark, "The Virgin Blue" by Tracy Chevalier,
For Five Points
Ten points to all!
Not mentioned
The mystery of the Blue Train (Agatha Christie) and more

Q4 Something that is traditionally blue
For Ten Points
The Virgin Mary's robe, A baby blanket for a boy, A Blue Jay, All blue (away) uniform for the Swedish National Football team/ Svenska Fotbollförbundet, Marge Simpson's hair (on the TV cartoon "The Simpsons") Blue Satin Hibiscus (Blue Satin is a strong growing uniform plant with rich blue, exotic looking flowers.), The charkha on the Indian flag, the lining of swimming pools,
For Five Points
Ten points to all!
Not mentioned
Blueberry, Bluebells and more

Q5 Something you can eat which is blue
For Ten Points
Blue cheese, Blue Popsicle (raspberry flavored), Berry Blue Jello, Blue crayfish, Blueberry Sno-Cones, Beluga Caviar, Blue Smarties, blue velvet cake,
For Five Points
Ten points to all!
Not mentioned
Blueberries and more

Scores - 8 competitors
brandz_mygirl – 50
Gatsby - 50
Gemini19 – 50
Maninmidohio - 50
Mugaboo – 50
Nakarinna – 50
Szabs – 50
Zorba_scank – 50

Well done to: brandz_my girl, Gatsby, Gemini, Maninmidohio, Mugaboo, Nakarinna, Szabs and Zorba_Scank A full house

#424047 - Tue Jun 10 2008 02:42 PM Re: June Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Just a quick reminder to all Round 6 will be closing in 24 hours, all latecomers welcome

#424048 - Tue Jun 10 2008 10:21 PM Re: June Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 11 ~ Wednesday

In digging around, recapping May 2008, I thought I'd devote this Round to relevant *stuff* I found. Maybe not exactly the ingredients of flash-worthy headlines globally ... but important enough to merit a sturdy mention, I reckon ?

1. May 24, 2008 was *Bermuda Day*, a public holiday there. It's traditionally the first day of the summer and also, historically, the first day upon which Bermuda shorts are worn as business attire (although in recent years, Bermudas are worn at any time of the year). Many see Bermuda Day as the first where they can go asea after the winter, too, so there's always a rush to get one's boat 'in the water' just before May 24th. But we'll be talking about the much-maligned Bermuda shorts today. Some are pretty goofy-looking -- but some others are quite snappy, I think . Bermuda Styles, out of New Jersey, sells lots of the shorts (and Bermuda skirts and pants, too). Have a peek at the Bermuda Styles website and tell me a pattern/type of Bermuda shorts they sell there.

2. On May 15, 2008, California became the second U.S. state (after Massachusetts in 2004) to legalize same-sex marriage after the state's Supreme Court ruled a previous ban was unconstitutional. The resulting noise was loud indeed, from sides "pro" AND "con". The measure will hopefully give many folks legal freedoms that they might not have had without the new ruling, though? Of course, only time (and more courtrooms, I suspect) will tell. At any rate, please tell me one of the CHIEF Justices of the California Supreme Court that was named as such after 1900. Thank you veddy much!

3. Irena Sendler (or Irena Krzyzanowska Sendlerowa) died on May 12, 2008 at the age of 98. During WWII she was an activist in the Polish Underground and the Zegota Polish anti-Holocaust. Irena helped save some 2,500 Jewish children from the Warsaw Ghetto by providing them with false documents and sheltering them in individual and group children's homes. Considered for the Nobel Prize, the woman's work and the lives she changed (free to travel the ghetto under the guise of being a public-health nurse investigating a suspected typhus epidemic) is extraordinary. Please see *The Guardian* (article dated Thursday March 15, 2007) where a piece about Sendler appears. In terms of her "hero" status - kindly tell me a word of seven letters or more she uses, in response to being considered one.

4. The Lilac Bloomsday Run took place on May 4, 2008. It is an annual timed road race in Spokane, Washington, held the first Sunday of every May since 1977. The course is 12 km (7.46 mi) long, starting in downtown Spokane and making its way over 'Doomsday Hill' and ultimately ending at the county courthouse. Every finisher of the race receives an 'official' T-shirt, too, for their spirited efforts. Bloomsday is also the world's largest timed road race with over 40,000 participants each year. It's a nicely inclusive event as well, opening the *race* to all runners, walkers, wheelchairs and even strollers! Kindly tell me one of the top 10 finishers in the Men's Wheelchair Masters at Bloomsday 2008.

5. On May 25, 2008, the spacecraft Phoenix landed on Mars. Scientists are using instruments aboard the robotic ship to search for environments suitable for life forms on Mars, and to research the history of water there. The program is headed by the University of Arizona, under direction of NASA, but partners universities in the USA, Canada, Switzerland, the Philippines, Denmark, Germany and the UK, too. *Visions of Mars*, a 'parcel' provided by The Planetary Society, landed aboard Phoenix. In it there are greetings by visionaries of our time to Mars settlers of the future - accompanied by stories and articles by writers and scientists. Also included are Mars-related artworks. Tell me an "artist" whose work is included in *Visions of Mars*. And pick one who was 12-years old or less when they painted/drew their contribution.

This one will close up on Sunday afternoon!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Tue Jun 10 2008 10:25 PM)

#424049 - Wed Jun 11 2008 05:29 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

June 10 – quiz

I was desperately hunting around for a topic for this round. I have some days when topics and questions seem almost to create themselves and others like this one . Then I heard an old old song on the radio…..so today’s quiz title is “The Osmonds” .

1) In October 1945, George Virl and Olive May Osmond had their first child. They eventually ended up with eight boys and a girl, Marie. Please name any of Marie Osmond’s brothers.

2) The Osmonds are having their 50th Anniversary World Tour this year. From here, please name a country that the Osmonds have performed in or are scheduled to perform in for their 50th Anniversary World Tour.

3) The Osmonds all seem to have big families of their own. Please give me a name, must be first and middle name, of one of the children (including those adopted) of the two Osmond siblings who had a television variety show in the late 70s.

4) Marie Osmond debuted her collectible doll business on QVC in 1991. From here, please look for the Bitty Belle collection and give me the name of any doll listed.

5) “One Bad Apple” was a song released by the Osmonds which became no. 1 on the Billboard’s Hot 100 chart in February 1971 and stayed in that position for five weeks. Please give me a song title with a fruit name in it.

This round will close on Saturday 14 June at midnight FT time. Apologies for the late post. And I want to assure everyone that I’ve saved all relevant pages on my HD in case of webpages going into maintenance mode unexpectedly and seemingly staying there indefinitely. Wishing everyone a lovely morning/afternoon/night wherever you are.

Edited - word inserted, highlighted in red.

Edited by brandz_mygirl (Wed Jun 11 2008 07:51 AM)

#424050 - Wed Jun 11 2008 10:24 PM Re: June Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 5 will be closing in just over 12 hours...

#424051 - Thu Jun 12 2008 06:46 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 6 is now closed, answers will be posted in a little while.

#424052 - Thu Jun 12 2008 08:05 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 6 Answers 9 Fabulous players entered in this round dedicated to the Amazon – Orinoco Region of Venezuela.

1. Mount Roraima known as Cerro Roraima, marks the border between Venezuela, Brazil and Guyana, the mountain is the highest of Venezuela's distinctive table-top mountains, known as tepuis. Lindsay Elms has written an article named “ Mount Roraima: An Island Forgotten by Time, describing the tepui and its surroundings, would you be so kind as to choose one of the pictures on that site .
For 10 Points: Pico da Neblina, Mt. Kukenan from the summit of Mr. Roraima, Sarisarinama Sinkhole, Auyantepui
For 5 Points: El Foso" the Pit on the summit of Mount Roraima (2), Cerro Autana (3)
The others were: Salto Angel or Angel Falls , Arabopo River, Rock formation on Mt. Roraima.

2. The tepuis which rise dramatically out of the jungle and the Gran Sabana - are believed to be the abodes of gods or spirits. The whole landscape, in fact, is represented in their myths and legends of the local Indian communities. From Russell Maddicks blog , could you please tell me one of the Venezuelan myths and legends, but please only choose one that has the word myth in the title.

For 10 Points: Wayuu Myth 3: The Rainbow and the Rain, Penom Myth 2: The Tree of Life, Pemon Myth 3: The Great Flood and the Creation of Roraima, Wayuu Myth 2: Pulowi and the Jewels, Warao Myth 1: The Owner of the Sun
For 5 Points: Yanomami Myth 2: The Origin of Eating the Dead (2), Timote-Cuica Myth 1: Caribay and the Five White Eagles (2)
Among others: Kariña Myth 1: The Twins and the Origin of Yuca, Wayuu Myth 4: The Origin of Fire, Auyan-tepui, Angel Falls and Pemon Myths.

3. The Angel Falls is famous for being the world’s tallest waterfall. From the top where it starts to spill over the edge to the water down below is 3,212 feet. Angel Falls spills over the edge of the Auyantepui, the largest of all the tepuis, translated from the local Indian language, Auyantepui means “House of the Devil. In 1933, American pilot Jimmie Angel by chance flew over the tallest waterfall in the world. Four years later in 1937, Angel returned and this time tried to land his plane on top of Auyantepui the plane crashed in the marshy landscape. Angel Falls was named in his honour. Russell Maddicks, has had the opportunity to interview Jimmie’s Niece – Karen Angel, from this site , would you be so kind as to tell me one of the questions asked in the interview please condense as some are quite long

For 10 Points: How did the Jimmie Angel Historical Project Come about?, Was the crash-landing a publicity stunt?,
For 5 Points: He seems like a larger than life character Why has there never been a Jimmie Angel movie?, (3), Have you climbed Auyan-tepui? (2), But did Jimmie really meet an old gold prospector called McCracken? (2)
The others were :But why would he take his wife with him? Surely it was dangerous?, How famous was he in his lifetime?, What's your interest in Jimmie Angel?

4. Orinoco Online is a site dedicated to preserving the legacy of the indigenous societies of the Venezuelan Amazon. This site has a vast collection of ethnographic objects that belong to the area as well as giving a good description of the remote Orinoco region, and its indigenous groups whose rich history offers a compelling perspective on this vital yet rapidly disappearing material culture. From the Orinoco Online site , go to the People section, there you will see the names of 12 indigenous groups, please give me the name of one of them.

For 10 Points: Warekena, Baniwa, Hiwi, Tsase, E’ñepa
For 5 Points: Ye’kuana (2), Wakuénai (2)
The others were: Bare, De’aruwa, Hóti, Puinave, Yanomami

5. Canaima National Park with an area of three million hectares makes it one of the largest national parks in the world, becoming an UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1994,it’s truly one of the world’s most beautiful places. To this day, transportation within the park is very primitive and usually involves small aircraft, hiking, or canoeing the nearest city is Ciudad Bolívar some 600km to the north. I have chosen 25 pictures for you to look at and have a feel of the true beauty of this area, would you be so kind to give me the title of one of the pictures.

10 POINTS TO ALL: Close to Hacha, Canaima lagoon Palmtrees, Closeup of Angel Falls, Sapo Falls, Inside Sapo Falls, At the base of the Angel, Sunset Canaima, The 2 Falls Golondrinas & Ucaima, In the clouds
A few others were: Angel Falls from below, majestic Angel, Canaima Lagoon Salto Golondrina, Roraima Tepui from plane.

Scores
Top Score With 45 points: Nakarina
With 40 points: Gatsby722, Gemini19, Maninmidohio, Srini701, Zorba_Scank
With 35 points: Brandz_mygirl, Denni19, Mugaboo

Congratulations to Nakarina for picking up 1 lonely point for June , thank you all for playing, and enjoy the rest of your week.

#424053 - Thu Jun 12 2008 09:09 PM Re: June Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 12 - Thursday

Today's theme is The Thin Man...

1. The Thin Man is a 1934 Oscar-nominated comic detective film. The screenplay was based on a novel by Dashiell Hammett, an American author of hardboiled detective stories. Please choose another novel (not individual short stories, though collections of short stories are fine) written by Dashiell Hammett.

2. The Thin Man movies center around Nick and Nora Charles, a witty married couple that solves crimes between drinks. Nora Charles was played by Myrna Loy, a well-known film actress. Although many of Ms. Loy's costars and films were nominated for awards, Loy's performances were never nominated for an Academy Award. However, Myrna Loy was eventually awarded an honorary Academy Award in 1991 and a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Kennedy Center in 1988. Please name another recipient of the Kennedy Center's Lifetime Achievement Award in the same year as Ms. Loy OR the year directly before and after hers (1987-1989).

3. Along with Nick and Nora Charles, a popular Thin Man character was Asta, the Charles' loyal dog. Asta was played by the wire fox terrier Skippy. Skippy appeared in various films, including Bringing Up Baby, The Awful Truth, and Topper Takes a Trip. Please visit the following website and select a famous wire fox terrier that was not played by Skippy.

4. The Thin Man concerns a man named Clyde Wynant, who has mysteriously vanished just after his former lover was found dead. The similarity between Wynant's and Charles' physical stature led to confusion over who the 'thin man' of the title was. Please glance at imdb.com's trivia section on the original Thin Man movie and tell me one of the bulleted facts (summaries are more than acceptable).

5. Finally, the husband-wife detective team was so popular that five Thin Man sequels were created, each featuring Nick and Nora Charles as the discerning heroes. Please give me a word found in the title of any of the six films within the “Thin Man” series.

This round will close Tuesday, June 17 at noon FT time. Please PM me with any questions. Good luck!

(edited to specify that I want a word in the movies' title - sorry I didn't make that clear originally.)

Edited by nakarinna (Mon Jun 16 2008 06:48 AM)

#424054 - Thu Jun 12 2008 09:11 PM Re: June Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 5 is closed. However, I am waiting on an answer clarification. The results will be posted soon.

#424055 - Fri Jun 13 2008 05:44 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Ooops . I forgot to mention it before, but Round 9 closes up shop in 6 hours from the time of this post, OK?

#424056 - Fri Jun 13 2008 06:49 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Round 7 Results

1. The traditional graduation headgear is a mortarboard, complete with tassel. From this page, please give me a color of tassel and the corresponding area of study.

For 10 points - Golden yellow (Science), Citron (Social work), Silver Gray (Oratory/Speech), Peacock blue (Public Administration), Pink (Music), White (Arts/Letter/Humanities), Scarlet (Theology/Divinity), Copper (Economics)

5 points - Apricot (Nursing) (2)

2. Please give me a commencement speaker at Harvard University from the year 1990 through the present year. (I am speaking of the main commencement, not that of a specific school, such as Harvard Law or Medicine)

For 10 points - Albert Gore, Jr.(1994), Jim Lehrer (2006), Daniel Patrick Moynihan (2002), Amartya K. Sen (2000)

5 points - Colin Powell (1993)(3), Vaclav Havel (1995)(3)

3. From the lyrics of the Beach Boys' song, Graduation Day, please give me a word that begins with a "t" or a "w."

For 10 points - time, walk, when, the, there, till, we, treasure

5 points - wind (2)

4. According to this list, please give me one of the top 10 graduation songs for 2008.

For 10 points - "Send Me on My Way" (Rusted Root), "My Wish" (Rascal Flatts), "You're Gonna Miss This" (Trace Adkins)

5 points - "It's the End of the World as We Know It" (REM)(3), "Welcome to Wherever You Are" (Bon Jovi)(2), "I'm Not Gonna Cry" (Corey Smith)(2)

5. Finally, please give me a word of four or more letters made from the letters in graduation.

For 10 points - iota, nougat, gourd, iguana, grid, routing, guard, adoring

5 points - duration (2)

Final Scores

No perfect scores this time, so the 45's have it!
They are maninmidohio, Mugaboo, zorba_scank, and nakarinna!
Not far behind are Gatsby, gemini19, szabs, and srini with 40 points.
35 points - deputygary
30 points - brandz_mygirl

Wow! 10 players this round - Thanks to all of you for playing. And a big welcome to deputygary and a big welcome BACK to srini701!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002