Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#424057 - Fri Jun 13 2008 07:20 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 13 – Friday

In my last round you learned how my father’s father came to this country. This time we will look at my father’s mother’s journey to the United States. I did not have a lot of information on her, so I used the free port of New York passenger records search on the Ellis Island site and found some information. She was 18 years old when she arrived at Ellis Island in 1912 on the S/S President Grant from Hamburg. The manifest listed her last place of residence as Korborke, Germany (This seems to have been a poor reading of Karlsruhe, Germany which is where I am told she was from). I do know that she was working as a maid in one of the big New York City hotels (quite possibly the Waldorf-Astoria) when she met my recently interned grandfather. They got married and established their first home in what was then a German ethnic section of the Bronx.

1. Please visit the Ellis Island site referred to above and do a passenger search and tell me the first name of any passenger with the last name of Hellriegel (other than my grandmother Frieda) that would have been born within 7 years of my grandmother.

2. The Norway heritage site has a chronology of the S/S President Grant of the Hamburg American Line. Give me an entry for any year prior to 1930 (if you get to the page with only the ship’s image, click on the url provided).

3. The Waldorf-Astoria that my grandmother would have worked at was at the corner of Fifth Avenue and 34th Street in New York. This is the building that was torn down in 1931 to build the Empire State Building. In the Old and Sold Antiques Digest there is a reprint of a 1931 nostalgia article called “At Home to Society” that details the grand opening of the Waldorf-Astoria in 1897. Find the menu section that was served to the guests and give me one of the 8 selections under FROID before you get to the desserts.

4. Oscar Tschirky, who was the maître d'hôtel of the original Waldorf Hotel (precursor of the Waldorf-Astoria), is given credit for the recipe for Waldorf Salad. The original recipe calls for apples, cherries, celery, and mayonnaise. It is often served on lettuce with chopped dates or raisins. Find a recipe for Waldorf Salad that uses another ingredient besides these 7 (spices and condiments will not count). Give me the ingredient and the web site you found it on. It will be the matching of ingredients that will get you only 5 points instead of the 10 you want.

5. The Astoria section of Queens is very historic and was the location of the Tiffany Studios. It was founded in 1880 by Louis Comfort Tiffany and was in business until 1930. As the decorator of choice at that time, many of the great homes were decorated by Tiffany (through the firm Associated Artists). One of the most outstanding is the Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens) home in Hartford, CT. Tell me one of the specific things (13 to choose from) that Tiffany agreed to decorate in the Twain home for a total of $5,000 as stipulated in an October 24, 1881 letter between the two of them.

This round will be over noonish (FT time) on Wednesday, June 18. Have a great weekend.

#424058 - Fri Jun 13 2008 12:16 PM Re: June Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 9 - Monday
"The Tony Awards"
Ten extraordinarily capable participants (Thank you! )

1. Have a look at that August: Osage County page and tell me one of the -um- "legal" substances you can find stashed about the premises. Or, you can name that other *thing* hidden there. It's up to you !

For 10 Points:
Darvon (Painkiller with mild sedation that helps mom stagger and slur her speech); Dilaudid (Used as a substitute for morphine, heroin, and the love your spouse never gave you); Valium (Sedative used to block out the inane blabber of cloying family members); Vicoden (Pain reliever that, mixed with alcohol, causes severe drowsiness. Just ask big sis); "The Waste Land" (Poem by T.S. Eliot; written for Ezra Pound); Xanax (Anti-depressant that eases the pain of realizing you weren't Dad's favorite)
For 5 Points:
Black Mollies (a.k.a. Meth, Speed) Euphoric Stimulant. Side effects include mom cracking biting barbs at her own daughters) (2); Percocet (Kills the pain of discovering your fiancé's got a hankering for teenaged girls) (2)

And that's the whole "stash" - none were overlooked today!

2. Kindly tell me one of those thirteen "film techniques" that the Borgus gang assigns to Mr. Alfred Hitchcock.

For 10 Points:
STEP 3: Camera is Not a Camera, STEP 6: Montage Gives You Control , STEP 7: Keep the Story Simple!, STEP 9: Use Humor to Add Tension, STEP 13: Warning: May Cause MacGuffin
For 5 Points:
STEP 4: Dialogue Means Nothing (3), STEP 10: Two Things Happening at Once (2)

The remaining six are ---> STEP 1: It's the Mind of the Audience, STEP 2: Frame for Emotion, STEP 5: Point of View Editing, STEP 8: Characters Must Break Cliché, STEP 11: Suspense is Information -and- STEP 12: Surprise and Twist.

3. Two *problems* offered are: "I'm so agoraphobic I'm afraid to go out." and "My daughter won't eat." Kindly tell me one of the "solutions" given to either dilemma (and please don't use those answers recommending Vivien Vyle).

For 10 Points:
"Can you buy one of them smart cars? They're tiny. So you'll always feel like you're in a small place even when you're outside."; "Can you get some fat pumped into her? My Gavin had some of his fat pumped out. If they can pump it out, they can pump it in, I reckon. If you want I can ask if they kept some of Gavin's for you."; "Does she drink? If so buy her Guinness. It's practically food."; "Get her into modelling. Try and make some money out of her before she dies."; "I don't know why you is scared of agoras, you don't even get them in this country innit. Idiot."; "Look on the bright side, she won't get food poisoning."; "You think you've got problems, there's a hose-pipe ban where I live."; "You're not missing much."
For 5 Points:
"Stop whining. Some of us have got to go to work for a living. You lazy slob." (2)

4. This time, please look at the lyrics of The Plastic People of the Universe's song "One Hundred Points" and pick one of the first ten things *they fear* in it.

For 10 Points:
They fear the dead and their funerals; They fear graves and the flowers people place on them;
For 5 Points:
They fear churches, priests and nuns (2); They fear the old for their memory (2); They fear party members (2); They fear the young for their innocence (2)

Jumpy bunch, aren't "they"? They fear even the schoolchildren, they fear workers, they fear those outside the party and they fear science, too .

5. To finish up, then, please tell me a name (first, middle or last) of the CURRENT President, Prime Minister, Minister of Defense -or- Minister of Economy of Whoopi's *homeland*, Guinea-Bissau.

The office holders are:
Joao Bernardo Vieira ... President / Martinho Cabi ... Prime Minister / Marciano Silva Barbeiro ... Minister of Defense / Abudacar Demba Dahaba ... Minister of Economy

For 10 Points:
Cabi, Dahaba, Martinho
For 5 Points:
Abudacar (2), Demba (2), Marciano (3)

The Results!

45 Points! .... srini701 --- Bravo, indeed !
40 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, deputygary [welcome !], Mugaboo, nakarinna, zorba_scank
35 Points! .... gemini19, maninmidohio
30 Points! .... szabs
25 Points! .... denni19

Very, very close, once again ~ a fine contest! Hearty *congratulations!* (and a coveted Monthly Trivia Point, as well) to srini701 for reaching the summit this time! Thanks, everybody, for playing!

#424059 - Fri Jun 13 2008 08:20 PM Re: June Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 5 Results

7 players entered this round...

1. Please visit the CFCC website and give me the name of one of the winners of this book prize.

For 10 points: Kevin Wen, Amélie St-Cyr Monaco, Caitlin Cassidy

For 5 points: Jean Francois Lemay (2), Adrienne Kwong Wan Lee (2)

Not mentioned: Elena Elimova, Rachel Ouellette, Marie-Claude Robert

2. Please visit the special's IMDB.com website and tell me one of the associated plot keywords.

For 10 points: Reindeer, Santa Claus, Based On Novel, Character Name In Title

For 5 points: Penguin (3)

Not mentioned: Dog Cartoon, Flea, Christmas in Danger, and others

3. Please choose any team Rison played for from high school to retirement.

For 10 points: Flint Northwestern High School, Jacksonville Jaguars

For 5 points: Kansas City Chiefs (5)

Not mentioned: Indianapolis Colts, Atlanta Falcons, Cleveland Browns, and others

4. Please pick any book written by Ms. Cleary that includes Ramona's name in the title.

For 10 points: "Ramona the Brave," "Ramona and Her Father," "Ramona the Pest," "Ramona Quimby, Age 8," "Ramona's World"

For 5 points: "Ramona and Her Mother" (2)

Not mentioned: "Beezus and Ramona," "Ramona Forever"

5. Please visit the Secret Asian Man website and select a publication in which the strip appears.

For 10 points: Giant Robot, Bamboo Girl Zine, Sampan

For 5 points: Ricepaper Magazine (2), Hyphen Magazine (2)

Not mentioned: BeerAdvocate.com, Asian Week, Chicago RedEye, among others

Scores:

With 45 points: brandz_mygirl, maninmidohio
With 40 points: szabs
With 35 points: Gatsby722, zorba_scank
With 30 points: Mugaboo, srini701

Congratulations to brandz_mygirl and maninmidohio for nabbing one June trivia point each! Thanks for playing, everyone!

#424060 - Sat Jun 14 2008 02:04 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 14 - - Saturday 14th June

1. Clarice Cliff is an English ceramic artist. From the Clarise Cliff website, please tell me the name of a patern begining with the letter "H"
2. Tony Cliff was a Trotskyist revolutionary activist. Please name any other prominent Trotskyist.
3. Cliff Richard is another famous Cliff, who's first film was produced by a distance relative of mine. Apart from Summer Holiday, please give me any film produced by Peter Yates.
4. Please name any Cliff(s) that rise at least 500 metres above the Atlantic Ocean.
5. If you were to fall of a cliff, it would be wise to use a levitation spell, before you get to the bottom. You could buy this from fastspells.com (provided you've got two weeks to make it). Please choose another ability spell you could purchase from this website.

Round will close Thursday (noon FT time).

#424061 - Sat Jun 14 2008 11:55 PM Re: June Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Round 10 is closed. Results will be posted a wee bit later.

#424062 - Sun Jun 15 2008 06:07 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

June 10 Round - Answers

Thank you to the 8 groovy players for “The Osmonds” round. And a warm hello to Deputygary!

By the way, the old old song I heard on the radio, which brought about this quiz round, was “Puppy Love”. I can almost hear the groans.

1) Please name any of Marie Osmond’s brothers.
For Ten Points: Thomas Rulon, Alan, George Virl, Jimmy
For Five Points: Donny (2), Jay (2)
Not mentioned: Wayne, Merrill

2) From here, please name a country that the Osmonds have performed in or are scheduled to perform in for their 50th Anniversary World Tour.
For Ten Points: Northern Ireland, Philippines, United States*, Australia
For Five Points: Taiwan (2), England (2)
Not mentioned: Scotland, Singapore, Malaysia
It’s not quite clear from the site whether the United States is part of the World Tour. The site says they are performing as guest artists at a concert by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in Utah. However, it’s on the same page as the rest of the tour schedule, so I’ve accepted it as an answer.

3) Please give me a name, must be first and middle name, of one of the children (including those adopted) of the two Osmond siblings who had a television variety show in the late 70s.
For Ten Points: Abigail Michelle, Donald Clark Jr, Matthew Richard, Michael Brian, Brandon Michael, Stephen James,
For Five Points: Christopher Glenn (2)
Not mentioned: Jeremy James, Joshua Davis, Jessica Marie, Rachael Lauren, Brandon Warren, Brianna Patricia
The “Donny and Marie” show aired from 1976 – 1979.

4) From here, please look for the Bitty Belle collection and give me the name of any doll listed.
For Ten Points: O Come Let Us Adora Him, Adora Irish Belle, Beary Bitty Ballerina, Terri Beau, Adora School Belle & Beau
For Five Points: Adora Bitty Kitty Kitty (3)
Not mentioned: Amour A Belle & Beau, Dog Gone Adora Belle, Horror A Belle

5) Please give me a song title with a fruit name in it (other than “One Bad Apple”).
For Ten Points: Grapefruit Moon (Tom Waits), Tangerine (Led Zeppelin), Apples Peaches Pumpkin Pie (Jay and The Techniques), Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White, Apricot Tea (The Robot Ate Me), Pineapple Head (Crowded House), Princess Poo-Poo-ly Has Plenty Papaya (The Four Preps), Mango Pickle Down River (MIA)
10 points all!
Not mentioned: Life is a Lemon (Meat Loaf), The Banana Boat Song (Harry Belafonte), Peach (Prince), Blackberry Way (The Move) and more.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
45 points: Maninmidohio, Mugaboo, Denni, Nakarinna, Szabs Well done to all five!

Other results:
40 points: Gemini19
35 points: Deputygary, Gatsby

Good weekend wishes to everyone.

#424063 - Sun Jun 15 2008 10:54 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 11 - Wednesday
"Other Stuff in May, 2008"
Ten Awesome Players (thank you !)

1. Have a peek at the Bermuda Styles website and tell me a pattern/type of Bermuda shorts they sell there.

For 10 Points:
Blue Martinis, Blue Palmettos, Cobalt Blue Marlins, Green Martinis, Khaki, Sea Green Sharks
For 5 Points:
[Peach] Crab (2), Stone Solid (2)

Other fetching styles (or maybe not?) available are Golfing Green, Blue Dorado, Yellow Martini, Blue Sailboats, Navy Lobsters, Red Marlins, Stone Lobsters and Yellow Flies.

2. At any rate, please tell me one of the CHIEF Justices of the California Supreme Court that was appointed after 1900.. Thank you veddy much!

For 10 Points:
Matt I. Sullivan (1914-1915), Lucien Shaw (1921-1923), Curtis D. Wilbur (1923-1924), Louis W. Myers (1924-1926), William H. Waste (1926-1940), Roger J. Traynor (1964-1970), Donald R. Wright (1970-1977), Ronald M. George (1996-present)
For 5 Points:
Rose Elizabeth Bird (1977-1987) (2)

Only three others ~ Frank M. Angellotti (1915-1921), Phil S. Gibson (1940-1964) and Malcolm M. Lucas (1987-1996).

3. Please see *The Guardian* (article dated Thursday March 15,2007) where a piece about Sendler(owa) appears. In terms of her "hero" status - please tell me a word of seven letters or more she uses, in response to being considered one.

"I was brought up to believe that a person must be rescued when drowning, regardless of religion and nationality. The term 'hero' irritates me greatly. The opposite is true. I continue to have pangs of conscience that I did so little."

For 10 Points:
Nationality, Religion
For 5 Points:
Conscience (2), Opposite (4), Rescued (2)

4. Kindly tell me one of the top 10 finishers in the Men's Wheelchair Masters at Bloomsday 2008.

For 10 Points:
Jeff Muralt Fargo, North Dakota; Geoffrey Erickson, Wilmington, California
For 5 Points:
Ramiro Bermudez, Houston, Texas (2); Scott Glen, Canada (2); Cornelio Nunez-Ordaz, Mexico (4)

Scott Parson (San Jose, California), Grant Berthiaume (Tucson, Arizona), Matt Davis (Green, Kentucky), Jim Hudec (Canada) and Richard Jensen (Providence, Utah) rounded out the Top Ten.

5. Tell me an "artist" whose work is included in *Visions of Mars*. And pick one who was 12-years old or less when they painted/drew their contribution.

For Ten Points:
Samina Ashrof, Pakistan (age 11); Carlitos Cruz, USA (age 11); Neil Lande, USA (age 5); Daniel McConnell, USA (age 9); Courtney Wilson, Australia (age 7)
For 5 Points:
Margo Anderson, USA (age 8) (2); Aaron Madriaga, USA (age 9) (3)

Greg Cooper, USA (age 11); Dusty Duvall, USA (age 9); Dominic Terlizzi, USA (age 12); James Yeh, USA (age 12) and Peter Zorin, Russia (age 8) - would have been right, too.

The Results

45 Points! .... szabs --- terrific job !
40 Points: .... maninmidohio, Mugaboo, nakarinna, zorba_scank
35 Points! .... denni19, gemini19
30 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, deputygary, srini701

There it is --- the Gold Trivia Point going to Spain this time. Silver shared by India, the UK and the USA [twice]. Bronze? Canada and Romania! But, assuredly, you all competed expertly - and I appreciate your jumping in. Congrats on a winning finish to szabs this event, especially, though ! See you all next time ...

#424064 - Mon Jun 16 2008 11:14 PM Re: June Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Monday June 16 – quiz

Today’s quiz title is “Starting with a quote” .

1) “My wife Mary and I have been married for forty-seven years and not once have we had an argument serious enough to consider divorce; murder, yes, but divorce, never.” Jack Benny (1894-1974) A wonderful comedian/entertainer whose radio show “The Jack Benny Program” ran from 1932 to 1955 and television show with the same name ran from 1950 to 1965. He was actually happily married to his wife and was reported to have had a rose delivered to her everyday after his death, until her death some years later. Please give me the name of a movie that Jack Benny acted in and in which he played a character with both a first and last name. Please do not choose a movie in which he played himself.

2) “Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.” Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965). Prime Minister of the United Kingdom during World War II and a noted orator, he is, perhaps, best remembered for his stirring speeches which helped to rally Britain during the war. In 1953, he was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II. Apart from politics, he also wrote books and enjoyed painting which was said to have alleviated the bouts of depression he suffered from. From this page, please give me any one of the ten lesser known facts about Winston Churchill. Please either summarise or list the first few words of each fact.

3) “Thanksgiving dinners take eighteen hours to prepare. They are consumed in twelve minutes. Half-times take twelve minutes. This is not coincidence.” Erma Bombeck (1927-1996). She achieved great popularity by writing a humourous newspaper column about suburban home life. She also wrote 15 books, 10 of which have appeared on the New York Times best seller list. Please give me the name of any book written by Erma Bombeck.

4) "Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you really feel like stripping the gears." I’m not sure who said this. Patience is also the card game, popularly known as Solitaire. “Solitaire” is a song written by Neil Sedaka and Phil Cody. Karen Carpenter did a recording of the song in 1975. From the lyrics of The Carpenter’s “Solitaire”, please give me any 4-letter word. Please note that the lyrics as recorded by The Carpenters do differ a little from Neil Sedaka’s version.

5) "Frustration: Trying to find your glasses without your glasses." Again, I don’t know who said this, but being short-sighted, I can appreciate how accurate the definition is. From here, please give me any one of the Easy Ways to Improve Your Vision (ok, I don’t know if these work but they do seem to make sense) that are odd-numbered. Do note there are two pages to the article.

This round will close on Friday 20 June at midnight FT time. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Edited 'cos I mis-spelled a name. Oops

Edited by brandz_mygirl (Tue Jun 17 2008 05:25 AM)

#424065 - Tue Jun 17 2008 03:30 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
ROUND 17 - Tuesday

I've been so very lazy over the whole weekend and I didn't bother to prepare a 'serious' set of questions . So I'll make use of the closest and easiest subject at hand "Fun Trivia - The World's Largest Trivia Website".

1. Let's start with the Introduction page...
Please give me ANY Link [the entire link, be it 1 or 5 words long] that can be found on the "Introduction/Welcome to Fun Trivia" page.

2. Find me a quiz (on THIS site ) that has the word "Tuesday" in its title.

3. "The FunTrivia Daily Globe Tribune Mirror Post Times" is our FT newspaper where the lovely Miss Linkan keeps us updated on the community news and even helps with various hints on playing quizzes. On June 8, 2008 she posted an interesting article about one of the site's vocabulary quizzes. You'll see a list of Q&A's in there...
Please give me any question OR answer from the five 'pairs' in that article.

4. I suppose we are all aware of the immense number and variety of quizzes to be found on this awesome site. We'll check out the Geography category for now .
Please pick any of the authors who have contributed with a quizz to the Europe: Portugal subcategory.

5. And finally... we cannot overlook the Forums part of the site and it's Chain Games .
Name a user who posted/played in the "Alphabetical Movie Chain - Part 21" game.

Hope you'll have a nice trip around the site looking for answers. And no need to hurry, this Round stays open till Saturday noon, Fun Trivia time.

#424066 - Tue Jun 17 2008 06:54 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 12 will be closing in four hours...

#424067 - Tue Jun 17 2008 11:19 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Round 13 will close in about 24 hours. Plenty of time for additional entries.

#424068 - Tue Jun 17 2008 11:22 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 12 Results

9 players entered this round…

1. Please choose another novel (not individual short stories, though collections of short stories are fine) written by Dashiell Hammett.

For 10 points: "Woman in the Dark," "Dead Yellow Women," "The Maltese Falcon"

For 5 points: "The Continental Op" (2), "The Glass Key" (2), "The Return of the Continental Op" (2)

Not mentioned: "Red Harvest," "The Dain Curse," "Creeps by Night: Chills and Thrills," and others

2. Please name another recipient of the Kennedy Center's Lifetime Achievement Award in the same year as Ms. Loy OR the year directly before and after hers (1987-1989).

For 10 points: George Burns, Alexandra Danilova, Nathan Milstein

For 5 points: Bette Davis (2), Perry Como (2), Claudette Colbert (2)

Not mentioned: Harry Belafonte, Mary Martin, William Schuman, and others

3. Please visit the following website and select a famous wire fox terrier that was not played by Skippy.

For 10 points: Polly, owned by Charles Darwin; Caesar, owned by King Edward VII

For 5 points: Snowy, from "The Adventures of Tintin" (2); Willy, from the movie Ask the Dust (3); Bob, from the show "Hercule Poirot" (2)

Not mentioned: Archie, from the show "ITV's Catwalk Dogs;" Austin, owned by WWE personality Ken Anderson; Bunny, from the movie Hudson Hawk; and others

4. Please glance at imdb.com's trivia section on the original Thin Man movie and tell me one of the bulleted facts.

For 10 points: William Powell sings the same line, "For tomorrow may bring sorrow, so tonight let us be gay," in both The Thin Man and My Man Godfrey.

For 5 points: Reportedly, Dashiell Hammett based Nick and Nora's banter upon his rocky relationship with playwright Lillian Hellman (2); Skippy, who played Asta the dog, bit Myrna Loy during filming (2); Given three weeks to shoot the film, W.S. van Dyke managed it all in 12 days for the paltry budget of $231,000 (2); "The Thin Man" author Dashiell Hammett drew on his experiences as a union-busting Pinkerton detective in Butte, Montana (2)

Not mentioned: Louis B. Mayer, head of MGM, originally was against the idea of Myrna Loy being cast in this picture; Lux Radio Theatre version starring Myrna Loy, William Powell, Porter Hall aired June 8, 1936; The title does not refer to Nick Charles (William Powell), but to the murder victim (Edward Ellis); and others

5. Please give me a word found in the title of any of the six films within the “Thin Man” series.

Here are the movies: (Blue words are 10 points; red words are 5 points.)

The Thin Man (1934) • After the Thin Man (1936) • Another Thin Man (1939) • Shadow of the Thin Man (1941) • The Thin Man Goes Home (1944) • Song of the Thin Man (1947)

Scores:

With 40 points: maninmidohio, brandz_mygirl
With 35 points: zorba_scank
With 30 points: gemini19, denni19, szabs, srini701
With 25 points: Mugaboo, Gatsby722

Congratulations to maninmidohio and brandz_mygirl for winning one June trivia point each!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#424069 - Wed Jun 18 2008 01:54 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 18th June 2008
Q1 One of Pooh Bear’s friends in Hundred Acre wood
Q2 Any Herb or Spice
Q3 Something you’d find in a toyshop
Q4 A word from the phonetic alphabet – for example A is for Alpha. Alpha is not now allowed!
Q5 “The Labours of Hercules” is a collection of short stories, featuring Hercule Poirot. Name one of the labours.

#424070 - Wed Jun 18 2008 12:01 PM Re: June Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Round 13 – Grandma Frieda

Nine nimble necromancers participated in the June 13 (oh, no, Friday the 13th) Round and I thank them all.

1. Please visit the Ellis Island site and do a passenger search and tell me the first name of any passenger with the last name of Hellriegel (other than my grandmother Frieda).

For 10 Points – Alfred, Elisabeth, Franziska, Karl, Martin, Martin B., Miss Wilh.

For 5 Points – Otto (2)

Not Chosen – All correct responses used

2. The Norway heritage site has a chronology of the S/S President Grant of the Hamburg American Line. Give me an entry for any year prior to 1930.

For 10 Points
1903 Feb. 19, launched as the Servian for Wilson and Furness, laid up in the Musgrave Channel, Belfast
1907 Sept. 14, maiden voyage Hamburg-Boulogne-Southampton-New York
1917 Seized by the US authorities, operated as a US Navy transport - transferred to US Army (20 voyages)
1924 Renamed Republic, U.S. Lines, sailed New York - Plymouth - Cherbourg - Bremen

For 5 Points
1920 repatriated Czech troops from Vladivostok via Suez to Trieste (3)
1923 Rebuilt by Newport News Shipbuilding Co., masts reduced to 4, new tonnage: 17,910. Accommodation: 600 cabin and 600 3rd class (2)

Not Chosen
1906 Purchased by HAPAG, renamed President Grant
1914 took refuge in New York, Aug. 4 interned at Hoboken
1921 handed over to the US Shipping Board, renamed President Buchanan, laid up
1926 converted to carry cabin, tourist and 3rd class passengers

3. In the Old and Sold Antiques Digest there is a reprint of a 1931 nostalgia article called “At Home to Society” that details the grand opening of the Waldorf-Astoria in 1897. Find the menu section that was served to the guests and give me one of the 8 selections under FROID before you get to the desserts.

For 10 Points - Filet de bred - croustade Macedonne, Mayonnaise de volaille

For 5 Points - Saumon a la Russe (2), Gelatine d'Orleans (2),Pate de foie gras a la gelee (3)

Not Chosen - Salade de Howarde, Sandwiches et billettes, Entremets de Douceur

4. The original recipe for Waldorf salad calls for apples, cherries, celery, and mayonnaise. It is often served on lettuce with chopped dates or raisins. Find a recipe for Waldorf salad that uses another ingredient besides these 7 (spices and condiments will not count).

10 Points for All – Pineapple, Lemon Juice, Kohlrabi, Jicama, Vanilla Yogurt, Peanuts, Orange, Pear, Pineapple juice

Other possible ingredients – Rice, Cranberry, Walnuts

5. Tell me one of the specific things (13 to choose from) that Tiffany agreed to decorate in the Twain home for a total of $5,000 as stipulated in an October 24, 1881 letter between the two of them.

For 10 Points
1st Floor Hall
Walls painted and stenciled
Woodwork decorated, or not, at our option
Marble floor stained if practicable
Parlor
Woodwork painted
Walls and ceilings papered or stenciled at our option
Library
Walls covered with metal leaf & stenciled
Colored glass transom to be furnished for upper part of center window in bay

For 5 Points
Parlor
Doors stenciled (2)

Not Chosen
1st Floor Hall
Ceiling painted and stenciled in metals
Halls above 1st floor
Walls and ceiling plainly painted
Dining Room
Walls papered
Ceiling painted or papered at our option
Bedroom [Mahogany bedroom]
Wall and Ceiling papered

The results:

45 Points – deputygary, gatsby722, srini701
40 Points – brandyz_mygirl, denni19, mugaboo, nakarinna, szabs
35 Points – zorba_scank

The battle was hard fought and the results mighty close, but emerging with 1 June trivia point each are deputygary, gatsby722, and srini701 . Good job.

Thanks to all for playing.

#424071 - Thu Jun 19 2008 11:10 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 14 - 9 played

1. Clarice Cliff is an English ceramic artist. From the Clarise Cliff website, please tell me the name of a patern begining with the letter "H"
For 10 points: Hollyhocks; Honeydew; Honiton; House and Bridge
For 5 points: Hello [3]; Hollyrose [2]
Not mentioned: Honolulu; Hydrangea

2. Tony Cliff was a Trotskyist revolutionary activist. Please name any other prominent Trotskyist.
For 10 points: James P. Cannon; Ted Grant; Ernest Mandel; Nahuel Moreno; Christian Rakovsky; Ernie Tate
For 5 points: Livio Maitan [3]
Not mentioned include: Pierre Frank; Joseph Hansen; Gerry Healy; Pierre Lambert; Max Shachtman; Leon Trotsky

3. Cliff Richard is another famous Cliff, who's first film was produced by a distance relative of mine. Apart from Summer Holiday, Please give me any film produced by Peter Yates.
For 10 points: An Innocent Man; Eyewitness; Mother, Jugs & Speed; Needful Things; The House on Carroll Street
For 5 points: The Dresser [2]; Year of the Comet [2]
Not mentioned: Breaking Away; The Run of the Country

As my question was a bit dodgy here, I accepted the two films that were directed by Peter Yates, rather than just produced by him.

4. Please name any Cliff(s) that rise at least 500 metres above the Atlantic Ocean.
For 10 points: Andén Verde (Canary Islands); Buenavista's Cliffs (Canary Islands); Croaghaun (Ireland); Guguy's Cliffs (Canary Islands); La Peña's Cliffs (Canary Islands); Los Gigantes (Canary Islands); Risco de Famara (Canary Islands);
For 5 points: Slieve League (Ireland) [2]
Not mentioned include: Cabo Girão (Madeira); La Mérica (Canary Islands); Table Mountain (South Africa)

5. If you were to fall of a cliff, it would be wise to use a levitation spell, before you get to the bottom. You could buy this from fastspells.com (provided you've got two weeks to make it). Please choose another ability spell you could purchase from this website.
For 10 points: Cham; Control of Water; Liquidation; Telepathy; Vampirism; Ventriloquism
For 5 points: Electro travel [3]
Not mentioned include: Ghost Walk; Invulnerability; Lycanthropy

Scores:
50 points: Nakarinna
45 points: Deputygary; Maninmidohio
40 points: Denni19; Gatsby722; Srini701; Szabs
35 points: Zorba Scank
30 points: Brandz_mygirl

Wonderful! Nakarinna has the privilege of holding the winners point aloft.

#424072 - Thu Jun 19 2008 03:44 PM Re: June Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 19 - Thursday

Today's theme is steganography...

1. Steganography is the art and science of writing hidden messages in such a way that no one apart from the sender and intended recipient realizes there is a message. By contrast, cryptography is the practice of obscuring a message so that it is unreadable to outsiders, while not attempting to hide that there is a message. Please take a look at this article on steganography and choose either a use or drawback of steganography listed on the table within the article.

2. One example of steganography is that of the ancient Greek Histiaeus, who shaved the head of his most trusted slave and tattooed a message - to revolt against the Persians - on it. The hair regrew and successfully hid the message. This technique marked the start of the Greco-Persian Wars, and the event was chronicled by Herodotus in his "The Histories." "The Histories of Herodotus" are arranged into nine books, each named after one of the nine muses. Please select a book within "The Histories" and give me the corresponding number & muse.

3. A more recent use of steganography involved dolls. Velvalee Dickinson was a New York City doll dealer who sent information on US Naval Forces to the Japanese during World War II. She accomplished this using communications such as 'Doll in a hula skirt is in the hospital' meaning 'Light cruiser USS Honolulu is badly damaged.' Please name another female spy during World War II with any affiliation.

4. Steganography is often used in modern printers - tiny yellow dots display information on printer serial numbers and date/time stamps. The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), an organization founded for "defending free speech, privacy, innovation, and consumer rights today" in the networked world, developed a [printer] dot decoding guide to help translate. The EFF has also launched a Patent-Busting Project in order to prove that some software patents are based on prior art. I have little knowledge in the area, so I can't offer an opinion on this topic. However, on the Patent Busting Project Page, the EFF has compiled a Top Ten Most Wanted Culprits List. Please pick one of the members of this list.

5. Finally, let's do a little steganography of our own. (OK, well, it's more like cryptography...) Please give me a word of six or more letters (no plurals, please) that can be created using only the letters within 'steganography.'

This round will close on Tuesday, June 24 at noon FT time. Please PM me with any questions. Good luck!

#424073 - Fri Jun 20 2008 03:01 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 20
This round is dedicated to the Toucan bird, which inadvertently was inspired by Mugaboo . I used to own Toucan’s and from first hand experience I must say they are real fun companions.

1. Toucan’s can become very good and sociable pets, if you acquire a baby bird it should be fed and cuddled by several individuals of both sexes, ensuring that they are properly socialized to fit in with any family pet situation, regardless of family size. Contact with only a single person at this critical stage in their personality development often leads to babies that grow up preferring the company of only one family member. Thus the more people involved in the rearing process, the more affectionate and friendly is the baby bird. From this page , would you be so kind and tell me one of the FAQ about toucan’s

2. Emerald Forest Bird Gardens, founded in 1990 by Jerry Jennings, is situated on forty lush acres of land in the back country of Fallbrook, California. Emerald Forest Bird Gardens holds one of the most spectacular private collections of toucans and other exotic birds in the world. Featured in numerous newspaper and magazine articles, Emerald Forest is internationally recognized as the place to visit to see toucans up close all in a semi tropical setting. From their site Go to the Emerald Photo Gallery, and please give me the name of one of the Toucans on that page.

3. Toucan’s have become quite popular in advertising and as fictional characters due to their fancy colours and their friendly personality. Would you be so kind and give me a fictional toucan, some can be found on this page , but there are quite a few more out there, if you wish to use any of the others please provide me with the link you found them on.

4. Tucan Coffee Estate and Roasters are a firm specialized in providing coffee lovers with specialty coffee beans roasted to perfection then packaged to maintain quality. Tucan Coffee hand selects world suppliers who qualify as guaranteed sources of only the finest quality coffee beans. From their site , please go to the products List , and give me the name of either a Tucan Blended Coffees, or Tucan Flavored Coffees or Tucan Gourmet Coffees.

5. Guinness is a popular dry stout that originated in Arthur Guinness' brewery at St. James's Gate in Dublin, Ireland. It is one of the most successful beer brands in the world, being exported worldwide. Guinness has a long history of marketing campaigns, the most notable and recognisable series of adverts was created and drawn by the artist John Gilroy, in the 1930s and '40s. The posters featured Gilroy's distinctive artwork and more often than not featured animals such as a kangaroo, ostrich, seal, lion, and notably a toucan, which has become as much a symbol of Guinness as the harp. The Carlton Ware company used to produce the china Guinness ware, from this page give me the name of a collectible item produced by Carlton Ware.

This round will close on Wednesday afternoon FT time, if you need any help just holler, otherwise wherever you are have a great weekend

#424074 - Fri Jun 20 2008 12:16 PM Re: June Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 16 will be closing in just under 11 hours time.

#424075 - Fri Jun 20 2008 11:42 PM Re: June Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 16 is now closed. Results will be posted later today.

#424076 - Sat Jun 21 2008 06:50 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

June 16 Round - Answers

8 awesome players for the “Starting with a quote” round.

1) Please give me the name of a movie that Jack Benny acted in and in which he played a character with both a first and last name. Please do not choose a movie in which he played himself.
For Ten Points: The Meanest Man in the World (Richard Clarke), Transatlantic Merry-Go-Round (Chad Denby), The Big Broadcast of 1937 (Jack Carson), To Be or Not to Be (Joseph Tura)
For Five Points: George Washington Slept Here (Bill Fuller) (4)
Not mentioned: Loads more!

2) From this page, please give me any one of the ten lesser known facts about Winston Churchill. Please either summarise or list the first few words of each fact.
For Ten Points: Point 1: He came from a very famous and affluent aristocratic family…, Point 2: While it’s clear that Churchill had a speech impediment, he constantly worked to overcome it..., Point 3: Churchill went to South Africa in 1899 as a war correspondent…, Point 4: In June of 1953, Churchill’s health was dealt a severe blow…, Point 8: His body lay in state for 3 days…
For Five Points: Point 5: Churchill once proposed to actress Ethel Barrymore…(3)
Not mentioned: Point 6: Churchill painted more than 570 paintings…, Point 7: In January of 1965 Churchill suffered a stroke and died 9 days later…, Point 9: Churchill was said to have been very fond of alcoholic beverages…, Point 10: Churchill, apart from being a statesman, had a very sharp and witty tongue… Personally I would have thought that Point 10 was kinda well-known.

3) Please give me the name of any book written by Erma Bombeck.
For Ten Points:
- A Marriage Made in Heaven or Too Tired for an Affair
- The Grass is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank
- When You Look Like Your Passport Photo, It’s Time to Go Home
- Men! A Lighthearted Look
- All I Know About Animal Behaviour I Learned in Loehmann’s Dressing Room
- I Want to Grow Hair, I Want to Grow Up, I Want to Go to Boise: Children Surviving Cancer
For Five Points: Motherhood: The Second Oldest Profession (2)
Not mentioned:
- Eat Less Cottage Cheese and More Ice Cream Thoughts on Life From Erma Bombeck
- Aunt Erma’s Cope Book
- If Life is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits?
- I Lost Everything in the Post-Natal Depression
- Just Wait Till You Have Children of Your Own!
- Family – The Ties That Bind…And Gag!
- At Wit’s End
- Forever, Erma: Best-Loved Writing From America’s Favorite Humorist
I love her book titles!

4) From the lyrics of The Carpenter’s “Solitaire”, please give me any 4-letter word. Please note that the lyrics as recorded by The Carpenters do differ a little from Neil Sedaka’s version.
For Ten Points: Easy, Just, Died, Ends, He’ll, Goes, Same, Lost
10 points all! Yay
Not mentioned: Love, That, Kept, Town, Road, Down, Easy, Game, Life, Hope, Hand

5) From here, please give me any one of the Easy Ways to Improve Your Vision (ok, I don’t know if these work but they do seem to make sense) that are odd-numbered. Do note there are two pages to the article.
For Ten Points: Aim your car vents at your feet -- not your eyes, Have sweet potatoes for dinner tonight, Mix a cup of blueberries with a cup of yogurt for breakfast this morning, Switch to "lite" salt or use spices and herbs instead of salt
For Five Points: Eat fish twice a week (2), When you're working or reading, set your alarm to beep every 30 minutes (2)
Not mentioned: You can read the other points from the site.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
50 points: Maninmidohio A perfect score! Well done

Other results:
45 points: Nakarinna
40 points: Zorba_Scank, Mugaboo, Gemini19, Gatsby, Szabs & Denni

#424077 - Sat Jun 21 2008 11:10 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Well, I have just closed Round 17.

Thank you all for playing, I'll offer the results tomorrow morning.

#424078 - Sat Jun 21 2008 01:22 PM Re: June Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
The other night I watched "AFI:10 Top 10" on television and enjoyed it tremendously! SO...it is the topic for Round 21!

1. AFI (The American Film Institute) chose ten classic film genres to work with for this list. Name any of them.

2. Name any of the films that were number one in their genre.

3. Please name any of the actors/directors who appeared as themselves to comment on the films.

4. Name any other of AFI's 100 Years Lists that they have compiled.

5. Finally, pick a genre from the 10 Top 10 and give me a movie that, in your opinion, SHOULD have made the list, but did not. (for example, I fully expected Close Encounters of the Third Kind to be one of the 10 films listed for the Sci-Fi genre, but it was absent)

Hope this is clear. One note, you DO NOT have to register on AFI's site to get the information about the lists, etc. Just get on the site map (bottom of page) and you can get most anywhere. If you can't figure it out, just give me a PM and I'll lead you in!

This will close on Wednesday at noon.

#424079 - Sun Jun 22 2008 08:40 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Results for ROUND 17

8 players were willing to take a trip around FunTrivia – Thank you for playing along !

1 - Please give me ANY Link [the entire link, be it 1 or 5 words long] that can be found on the "Introduction/Welcome to Fun Trivia" page.

10 points: The Buzz, Editor’s Choice, Click here for more information

5 points: InstaQuiz [2], [you may become a member for free by] Clicking Here (www.funtrivia.com/newplayer.cfm) [3]

Not mentioned: Homepage, Quizzes, Join now, Crosswords, Mail, your username – I did say ANY link on that page, yes ? - and a few more others

2 - Find me a quiz (on FunTrivia site) that has the word "Tuesday" in its title.

10 points: The Tuesday Night Club Murders

5 points: WWE Taboo Tuesday 2004 [3], WWE “Taboo Tuesday” 2005 [2], If It’s Tuesday, It Must Be Belgium [2]

Not mentioned: Tuesday Morning Quarterback, “Tuesday” in Song Lyrics, Dawn’s in Trouble, Must Be Tuesday, The “Tuesday Club Murders” by Agatha Christie

3 - Please give me any question OR answer from the five 'pairs' to be found in the FT Newpaper’s article posted on June 8, 2008 by Linkan.

10 points: What did the bee say to the flower?, What do you call a bee born in May?, The bee gees!, A bee-gonias

5 points: A maybe! [2], Who is the bees favorite pop group? [2]

Not mentioned: Who is the bees favorite singer?, Sting!, What's a bees favorite flower?, Hello honey!

4 - Please pick any of the AUTHORS who have contributed with a quizz to the Geography: Europe: Portugal subcategory.

10 points: vikan, Ikabud, CarlaA, Vermic

5 points: spyplane [2], NunuSeno [2]

Not mentioned: CellarDoor, jstagamtome, dikas, mayte

5 – Chain Games ---> Name a user who posted/played in the "Alphabetical Movie Chain - Part 21" game.

10 points: gillyharold, chelseabelle, Szabs, MadMags, denni19

5 points: socalmiguel [3]

Not mentioned: Gatsby722, cinnam0n, cee71, BurgGurl, DanielPoulson, jordandog

The RESULTS for Round 17 are:

With 45 points: Mugaboo – Congratulations!

With 40 points: Nakarinna

With 35 points: Szabs, Zorba_scank, Gatsby and Maninmidohio

With 30 points: Brandz_mygirl and Gemini19

Well done to Mugaboo for grabbing yet another June point.

Thank you ALL for sending your answers !

#424080 - Sun Jun 22 2008 10:58 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Results for Wednesday 18th will be up tomorrow

#424081 - Sun Jun 22 2008 07:44 PM Re: June Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 23 ~ Monday

I figured I'd follow-up (kinda) on those Tony nominees from the Round a couple of weeks back. They handed 'em out last weekend ...

1. The action on the Tony Awards is almost always thrilling. The numbers performed by the highlighted casts of winning and/or nominated shows, past and present, is (pretty much) the *star of the program*. In between, of course, are the well-dressed humans who hand out the trophies and, more often than not, toss off a few forgettable one-liners as they go. Unlike some other Awards shows, there's an eclectic esteem about the artists who appear on the Tonys, though. Evidenced by the following: Please tell me a male presenter of a Tony Award (any category or type of recognition) at the 62nd annual ceremony. Thanks!

2. This year, the Best Leading Actress (Musical) was veteran Patti LuPone, for her work as the driven 'Mama Rose' in "Gypsy". Patti's delivery of "Everything's Coming Up Roses" from the 1959 classic was award-worthy by itself (that girl can truly belt out a tune )! LuPone found international acclaim in 1979 as Argentinian first lady María Eva de Perón in the fantastic production of "Evita". But "Gypsy" suited her just as well - the story of burlesque performer Gypsy Rose Lee, her youth spent in vaudeville and [above all] that mother of hers who would stop at nothing to sell her daughters to an audience. This time, please tell me a song from ACT 1 of the original Broadway staging of "Gypsy" ~ and don't use "Everything's Coming Up Roses", OK? And note that the Wikipedia list differs slightly from the original roster of music...

3. This year seemed, often, the unofficial Year of the 'Retread' on Broadway. One amongst them was "South Pacific" (originally staged in 1949) and it was named Best Revival AND earned a Best Leading Actor (Musical) trophy for Paulo Szot, a Brazilian opera singer who made his New York debut as Emile De Becque in the show. I gotta say, not only is that dude a dauntingly fine-looking brute, when he opened his mouth and sang "Some Enchanted Evening", the brilliance of his voice was inspiring to boot. Szot hails from the state of São Paulo. This time, please tell me a color in the State Flag of São Paulo -OR- any English word in its official State Motto.

4. The night's big winner in Drama was our *prescription-drug-filled-house* 'comedy', "August: Osage County" (remember that one?). One winner from it was Deanna Dunagan as Best Leading Actress (Play) - she played the kooky matriarch of that dysfunctional clan. Dunagan was born in Monahans, Texas and has said, "My heritage is a long line of Southern Baptist and Methodist preachers who were all just frustrated actors.". Talent, Baptists, lore - it's all "big" in the Lone Star State. Lots of interesting trivia there, too, without question. Look at the list of Texas Facts & Trivia over on 50states.com. Tell me one of those facts/trivia whose number on the list is divisible by four.

5. Best Leading Actor (Play) came as the result of of a show that first ran in London, circa 1962. "Boeing Boeing" is a French farce, and this year won a Tony for Mark Rylance as a man helping his friend manage three chaotic *romances* with some international stewardesses. UK born, Mark's parents moved to the US when he was two ... his father becoming headmaster at a prestigious prep school. His first notable role was "Hamlet" in 1976 at said school. Rylance eventually got his first professional work at the Glasgow Citizens' Theatre ~ which itself won a theatrical award this month (not a Tony, though) - for 'Best Stage Design'. To close, kindly tell me any winning production -OR- one of the three actors winning Best Performance at the 2008 Scottish Theatre Awards.

This one'll close up Friday morning ~ have a fun-filled and useful week, folks !

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002