For Ten Points
Oregano, Saffron, Cilantro, Tarragon, Celery seed, Mahlab,
For Five Points
Basil (2)
Not mentioned
Rosemary, Sage and more

Q3 Something you’d find in a toyshop
For Ten Points
Frisbee, Lego bricks, Cash register, Jigsaw, Indiana Jones Action Figure Doll, playing cards, Yo-Yo, rubber ball,
For Five Points
Ten points to all
Not mentioned
Dolls house, Rocking Horse and more

Q4 A word from the phonetic alphabet – for example A is for Alpha. Alpha is not now allowed!
For Ten Points
R for Romeo, C for Charlie, O for Oscar, B for Bravo, T for Tango, G for Golf,
For Five Points
S for Sierra (2),
Not mentioned
A for Alpha, Z for Zulu and more

Q5 “The Labours of Hercules” is a collection of short stories, featuring Hercule Poirot. Name one of the labours.
For Ten Points
The Nemean lion, "The Arcadian Deer", The Horses of Diomedes, The Capture of Cerberus, The Eurymanthian Boar
For Five Points
The Cretan bull (2), "The Horses of Diomedes" (2)
Not mentioned
The Lernean Hydra, The Augean Stables and more

COMPETITORS - Eight great players
SCORES

DeputyGary – 45
Maninmidohio - 45
Mugaboo – 45
Nakarrina – 45

Gatsby – 40
Gemini19 – 40
Szabs – 40
Zorba_scank - 40

Well done to DeputyGary, Maninmidohio, Mugaboo and Nakarrina

#424083 - Mon Jun 23 2008 11:08 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 19 will close in 24 hours...

#424084 - Tue Jun 24 2008 10:37 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 20 will be closing in about 24 hours, plenty of time for late entries...

#424085 - Tue Jun 24 2008 01:35 PM Re: June Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Tuesday June 24 – quiz

Today’s quiz title is “ ” . Okay, I don’t have a title for this round, it’s just stuff that I either watched or read about in the last few days.

1) One of my favourite films: a fellowship of nine sets out for Mount Doom to complete a task that should have been done three thousand years ago. Please name any one of the nine.

2) Discovery Channel’s “Dirty Jobs” with Mike Rowe: fascinating show with subject matters that sometimes totally ‘grosses’ me out. From the official site of “Dirty Jobs”, please look for Mike Rowe’s resume and give me any word from the ‘Objectives’ section of the resume that has the letter ‘O’ in it.

3) Guess who. Clues: a young British singer/songwriter with enormous talent but also a very troubled existence with drugs and alcohol. She has a signature beehive hairstyle, her husband is in jail and she was recently in hospital for a chest complaint. She has released two albums, the second entitled “Back to Black”. Now that you’ve guessed who it is, please give me an award, must state category, that this singer/songwriter was nominated for/has won in 2008.

4) On 20 Jun 2008, Model Naomi Campbell pleaded guilty to assaulting two police officers at Heathrow Airport and was sentenced to 200 hours of community service. In 2007, she was ordered by a New York court to attend anger management classes after throwing her mobile phone at her maid, causing the maid to require stitches on her head. From this site, please give me any one of the Anger Management FAQs listed.

5) Tabloid favourites: Brad and Angelina, Britney and her ex-Kevin, Gwyneth and Chris. The reason why I have put them all together in this question is that each couple (or former couple) have kids together. Please give me the name of any of their children.

This round will close on Saturday 28 June at midnight FT time. Thanks for reading, hope you’ll play.

#424086 - Tue Jun 24 2008 02:29 PM Re: June Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 19 Results

8 players entered this round…

1. Please take a look at this article on steganography and choose either a use or drawback of steganography listed on the table within the article.

For 10 points: Use #4 - Posting secret communications on the Web to avoid transmission; Use #2 - To embed corrective audio or image data in case corrosion occurs from a poor connection of transmission; Drawback #5 - A form of this called digital watermarking already exists

For 5 points: Drawback #3 - Doesn't hide the fact that an e-mail was sent, negating the purpose of secret communications (3); Drawback #6 - Easier to open free Web-based e-mail or use cloaked e-mail (2)

Not mentioned: Use #1 - To combine explanatory information with an image; Use #3 - Peer-to-peer private communications; Drawback #1 - Could accidentally degrade or render an image misleading; Drawback #2 - Could counteract and be counterproductive with the original image; and others

2. Please select a book within "The Histories" and give me the corresponding number & muse.

For 10 points: Book IV (Melpomene), Book I (Clio), Book VII (Polymnia), Book IX (Calliope)

For 5 points: Book VI (Erato) – (2), Book II (Euterpe) – (2)

Not mentioned: Book III (Thalia), Book V (Terpsichore), Book VIII (Urania)

3. Please name another female spy during World War II with any affiliation.

For 10 points: Maria Gulovich, Violette Szabo, Nancy Grace Augusta Wake, Mathilde Carré

For 5 points: Josephine Baker (2), Princess Noor-un-nisa Inayat Khan (2)

Not mentioned: Virginia Hall, Barbara Lauwers, Elizabeth P. McIntosh, Hedy Lamarr, among countless others

4. Please pick one of the members of the EFF’s Ten Most Wanted Culprits list.

For 10 points: Acceris, Nintendo, Sheldon F. Goldberg, Ideaflood/Hoshiko

For 5 points: Seer Systems (2), Firepond/Polaris (2)

Not mentioned: Acacia Research, Test.com, Clear Channel/Live Nation, Neomedia Technologies

5. Please give me a word of six or more letters (no plurals, please) that can be created using only the letters within 'steganography.'.

For 10 points: Pathogen, Trophy, Atrophy, Hyaena, Groats (which – according to the dictionary - can be a singular noun when referring to grain), Paragon

For 5 points: Geography (2)

Scores:

With 50 points: Mugaboo
With 45 points: srini701
With 40 points: brandz_mygirl
With 35 points: gemini19, Gatsby722, szabs, maninmidohio
With 30 points: zorba_scank

Congratulations to Mugaboo for winning today’s June trivia point!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#424087 - Wed Jun 25 2008 04:28 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 25 ~ Wednesday

1. Cuban-born Alex Ferrer became one of the youngest policemen in Florida history at 19, later sitting as a Judge in the Criminal Division of Miami-Dade County, where he spent ten years presiding over thousands of criminal cases. "Judge Alex", a courtroom TV show, found him in 2005 and made him a 'star', of sorts. Ferrer also appeared with some fellow TV judges on the game show "1 vs. 100", where a single player *takes on* 100 contestants (the "Mob") - the top prize being $1 Mil. Our Judges were all eliminated, winning zilch . A special episode aired on December 25, 2006, though, with Christmas-related questions ~ the 'Mob' representing "The 12 Days of Christmas". Kindly tell me "who" represented one of the revised 'Days of Christmas' on that episode of "1 vs. 100".

2. Another notable (but perhaps not as publicized) *themer* is author Jayne Jaudon Ferrer. She hails from the Carolinas in the US and, by all accounts, is a "writer's writer" - she respects the craft of wordsmithing in total. As joy, as evidence, as hope and as the epitome of honesty in the observation. Her work is often light and affirming but she is, significantly, one of those "positive" people. She also claims that 'she never met a bookstore she didn't like' and cites one of her favorite written lines [albeit not written by her] as being: "We held a funeral / for a dead ladybug / and smoothed the earth / with the belly of a spoon" Which is a great line, too, yes? On her website you will find one of her poems called "The Play's the Thing". Please pick a plural word in it, OK? And limit your choice to a plural that ends in the letter 's'...

3. José Ferrer was an award-winning director and actor. He made his film debut with Ingrid Bergman in Joan of Arc in 1948, for which he received his first Oscar nomination; Ferrer won the Academy Award for his portrayal of Cyrano de Bergerac in 1955 (the first Puerto Rican to win it, too). These days, I reckon, his greatest legacy is that he's George Clooney's uncle? Let's hope he's remembered for more than just that. My fave José Ferrer role came in 1952's Moulin Rouge, where he played French painter Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, the famed cabaret being the setting. The real Moulin Rouge still stands on Boulevard de Clichy in Paris . Please tell me a single dish to be found on Menu Toulouse-Lautrec at the Moulin Rouge. Note: if the dish is, say, 'chili and beans', that'd be your answer ~ not each ingredient separately...

4. I suppose, were a person off to Paris to enjoy a Can-Can show, they might like to look their best. Starting at the top, getting the hair done might be an issue of urgency? Well, then, what to do but spin through NYC and pop into the Gil Ferrer Salon on East 74th Street! They will ask you a series of questions there, as they scissor and fluff, like: "Does your hair convey your individuality?" -or- "Does it make you feel desirable?" Naturally, you get a "hair analysis", too, @ $10 a pop, mind you. On that *Hair Analysis* at Gil Ferrer's, you're asked some stuff about your mop top - so tell me one of the 'descriptions' offered on their questionnaire as to the client's Hair Type -or- Hair Length. Thanks!

5. Finally, there's Ibrahim Ferrer' (1927-2005), who was a popular Afro-Cuban singer and musician. He performed with countless musical groups for years but it wasn't until later in life that Ferrer became internationally "successful". Ferrer primarily performed 'traditional' up-tempo songs ... but he yearned to sing boleros (lively Spanish dances in triple time). It took almost 40 years, but with the release of Ry Cooder's award winning, Oscar-nominated Buena Vista Social Club in 1999, Ibrahim's bolero skills became a huge hit. PBS aired a show spotlighting The Buena Vista Social Club - calling it an essay about a music, an island, and a history. Name a COMPOSER of one of the nine songs featured in the PBS/KCTV program (no need to send song titles, unless you want to, of course )...

This one will close on Sunday at noon. 'Til then !

#424088 - Thu Jun 26 2008 02:26 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 20 is oficially closed, answers will be posted a bit later.

#424089 - Thu Jun 26 2008 04:41 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 20 11 Extraordinary players participated in this round dedicated to the Toucan.

1. Toucan’s can become very good and sociable pets. From this page , would you be so kind and tell me one of the FAQ about toucan’s

For 10 Points: How can I train my toucan?, What is the difference in personality between the various toucans, toucanets, and aracaris?, Do toucans require pinkie mice and other live food?, Are toucans messier than parrots?, Can I keep a toucan in an aviary?, Will toucans chew my furniture?

For 5 Points: When is the best time to acquire a toucan? (3), Are toucans very noisy?(2)

Among others were Can toucans bite hard and hurt me?, Are toucans really friendly birds?, Can toucans be trained?

2. Emerald Forest Bird Gardens, holds one of the most spectacular private collections of toucans and other exotic birds in the world. From their site Go to the Emerald Photo Gallery, and please give me the name of one of the Toucans on that page.

For 10 Points: Red Breasted Toucan, Emerald Toucanet, Saffron Toucanet, Toco Toucan, Red Bill Toucan

For 5 Points: Chestnut Eared Aracari(4), Channel Bill Toucan (2)

Among others were: Keel Bill Toucan, Curl Crested Aracari, Swainson's Toucan

3. Toucan’s have become quite popular in advertising and as fictional characters due to their fancy colours and their friendly personality. Would you be so kind and give me a fictional toucan, some can be found on this page , but there are quite a few more out there, if you wish to use any of the others please provide me with the link you found them on.

For 10 Points: Lupe Toucan, Toucan Kid, Zippi (tecs for Hire), Toucan (I can Toucan), Sr. Toucan, Poco

For 5 Points:Tookie Tookie (5)

Among Others wereToucan Sam (kellogs), The Guinness Toucan, Duke the Toucan (George & Martha), Don Jose the Toucan (Ruff & Reddy Show)

4. Tucan Coffee Estate and Roasters are a firm specialized in providing coffee lovers with specialty coffee beans roasted to perfection then packaged to maintain quality. From their site , please go to the products List , and give me the name of either a Tucan Blended Coffees, or Tucan Flavored Coffees or Tucan Gourmet Coffees.

For 10 Points: Early Bird Breakfast Blend, French Vanilla, Costa Rica, Colombian Supremo, Irish Cream,

For 5 Points: Sexy Seven Espresso(2), Jamaican Me Crazy (2)Honduras(2)

Among Others Were: Ethiopian, Guatemalan, Sumatra, One Eye Open

5. Guinness is a popular dry stout that originated in Arthur Guinness' brewery at St. James's Gate in Dublin, Ireland. Guinness has a long history of marketing campaigns, the most notable and recognisable series of adverts was created and drawn by the artist John Gilroy, in the 1930s and '40s. The posters featured Gilroy's distinctive artwork and more often than not featured animals such as a kangaroo, ostrich, seal, lion, and notably a toucan, which has become as much a symbol of Guinness as the harp. The Carlton Ware company used to produce the china Guinness ware, from this page give me the name of a collectible item produced by Carlton Ware.

For 10 Points: The Zookeeper, Toucan Bar Decoration and Lampbase, The Toucan Wall Plaque

For 5 Points:Flying Toucans ( 2), The Toucan Jug (2), Penguin Lampbase (2)The Tortoise(2)

Others were: The Toucan, The Ostrich, The Kangaroo, The Sealion, The Drayman, The Penguin

Scores

With a perfect score of 50 points: Nakarina
Very closely behind With 45 points: Gatsby722
With 40 points: Brandz_mygirl, Denni19, DeputGary, &
With 35 points: Maninmidohio & Mugaboo
With 30 points: Gemini19, Srini701 Zorba_Scank
With 25 points: Lizard_Wizard

Congratulations to Nakarina for picking up 1 point with a perfect score for June , thank you all for playing, and enjoy the rest of your week.

(post edited due to overlooking Lizard_Wizard' answers

Edited by szabs (Fri Jun 27 2008 02:07 AM)

#424090 - Thu Jun 26 2008 07:52 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Round 21 Results

8 participants this time!

1. AFI (The American Film Institute) chose ten classic film genres to work with for this list. Name any of them.

For 10 points - Sci-Fi, Epic, Fantasy, Western

5 points - Animation (2), Courtroom Drama (2)

The others were Romantic Comedy, Gangster, Sports, and Mystery.

2. Name any of the films that were number one in their genre.

For 10 points - Lawrence of Arabia (epic), Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (animation), City Lights (romantic comedy), The Wizard of Oz (fantasy), To Kill a Mockingbird (courtroom drama)

5 points - Vertigo (mystery, 3)

The others were The Godfather (gangster), 2001: A Space Odyssey (sci-fi), Raging Bull (sports), and The Searchers (western).

3. Please name any of the actors/directors who appeared as themselves to comment on the films.

For 10 points - Harold Ramis, Roman Polanski, Frank Capra, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Susan Sarandon, James Woods

5 points - Gene Hackman (2)

4. Name any other of AFI's 100 Years Lists that they have compiled.

For 10 points - AFI's 100 YEARS...100 THRILLS; AFI's 100 YEARS OF FILM SCORES; AFI'S 100 YEARS...100 MOVIES,10TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION; AFI's 100 YEARS...100 HEROES & VILLAINS

5 points - AFI's 100 YEARS...100 CHEERS (2), AFI's 100 YEARS...100 LAUGHS (2)

Finally, pick a genre from the 10 Top 10 and give me a movie that, in your opinion, SHOULD have made the list, but did not. (for example, I fully expected Close Encounters of the Third Kind to be one of the 10 films listed for the Sci-Fi genre, but it was absent)

For 10 points - Dances with Wolves (western), Braveheart (epic), Slap Shot (sports), Planet of the Apes (sci-fi), Double Indemnity (mystery), In the Heat of the Night (mystery)

5 points - The Jungle Book (animation, 2)

That last one was very interesting. There were a few that, as they counted down to number one in each category, I was surprised to never see. Braveheart was definitely expected, and I can think of several more in each category (especially mysteries) that to me, were better than some of the ones they chose. It was fun to watch, however!

Scores

So this time, with a perfect 50 points, our winner (drum roll...) is Gatsby!

45 points - nakarinna and brandz_mygirl

40 points - maninmidohio, srini, and deputygary.

35 points - Mugaboo and szabs.

Thanks to everyone who played - a point for Gatsby!

#424091 - Thu Jun 26 2008 02:37 PM Re: June Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 26 - Thursday

Today's theme is Olympia...

1. The Olympia Marble is a butterfly found in southern Canada and mid- to southwestern United States. Its range includes the state of Illinois, which is home to any number of butterfly species. Please visit the Illinois State Museum's Butterfly Gallery and pick the common name of any other butterfly pictured there (N.B. there are three pages).

2. Olympia Dukakis is an Academy Award-winning actress known for her roles in movies such as Moonstruck, Mr. Holland's Opus, and Steel Magnolias. More recently, Olympia Dukakis has appeared in the television miniseries "Tales of the City." This miniseries is based off of the same-titled series of books by Armistead Maupin depicting life in 1970s San Francisco. Please tell me the name any of the seven books in the "Tales of the City" series OR the name of Ms. Dukakis' character in the miniseries.

3. The Olympia Academy was an intimate physics and philosophy discussion group founded in 1902 in Bern, Switzerland. The group had three founding members, including the notable originator of the theory of relativity. In addition to the three core members, the Academy sometimes included a few other friends. Please name any founding or non-founding member of the Olympia Academy.

4. Édouard Manet's Olympia is a 1863 oil painting that sparked a great deal of controversy. The controversy arose from clues within the painting that the nude subject of the painting is a courtesan - clues such as an orchid in her hair, a black cat, and her confrontational gaze. The painting is located in the Musée d'Orsay. Please visit the museum (scroll down to see the list of artists), and select another painting by Manet housed in the Musée d'Orsay.

5. The 1936 Berlin Olympics, memorably depicted in Leni Riefenstahl's film Olympia, marked the beginning of the now-traditional Olympic Torch Relay. The torch itself, however, can be traced back to the ancient Greek games. The torch commemorates the theft of fire by Prometheus from the gods and its subsequent gift to man. Prometheus was a Titan, a race of powerful deities within Greek mythology. Please choose any other Titan (there were twelve original Titans and their children) in Greek mythology.

This round will close on Tuesday, July 1st at noon FT time. Please PM me with any questions. Good luck!

(edited to correct a typo)

Edited by nakarinna (Thu Jun 26 2008 08:42 PM)

#424092 - Thu Jun 26 2008 05:37 PM Re: June Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
12 hours to go for Round 23, folks ....

#424093 - Fri Jun 27 2008 06:07 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 23 - Monday
"Tony Award Winners"
Seven stalwart players [Thank You !]

1. Please tell me a male presenter of a Tony Award (any category or type of recognition) at the 62nd annual ceremony. Thanks!

For 10 Points:
Alec Baldwin, David Hyde Pierce, Duncan Sheik,
For 5 Points:
Laurence Fishburne (2), John Waters (2)

Gabriel Byrne, Harry Connick, Jr., Richard Griffiths, John Lithgow, Mandy Patinkin, Daniel Radcliffe and Adam Duritz all showed up on Tony night, too.

2. This time, please tell me a song from ACT 1 of the original Broadway staging of "Gypsy". Don't use "Everything's Coming Up Roses", please, and note that the Wikipedia list differs slightly from the original roster of music.

For 10 Points:
All I Need Is the Girl, Little Lamb, You'll Never Get Away From Me
For 5 Points:
May We Entertain You (4)

Quite a few others, including "Mr. Goldstone, I Love You", "If Momma Was Married" and "Some People". Also ... in the original Gypsy, the tune was called "May We Entertain You"; it became "Let Me..." at some point after. So the *Let Me*s and *May We*s all got counted together (even though some of the answers were technically wrong ).

3. This time, please tell me a color in the State Flag of São Paulo -OR- any English word in its official State Motto.

The colors: Black, Blue, Red, White, Yellow
The motto: "For Brazil Great Things Are Done"

For 10 Points:
Everybody!
Black, Blue, "Done", "For", "Great", "Things", White

4. Look at the list of Texas Facts & Trivia over on 50states.com. Tell me one of those facts / trivia whose number on the list is divisible by four.

For 10 Points:
#4 - Texas is the only state to have the flags of 6 different nations fly over it. They are: Spain, France, Mexico, Republic of Texas, Confederate States, and the United States; #32 - The first word spoken from the moon on July 20, 1969 was 'Houston'.
For 5 Points:
#28 - The armadillo is the official state mammal (2); #36 - Texas includes 267,339 square miles, or 7.4% of the nation's total area (3)

A couple of other [kinda] interesting ones: More wool comes from the state of Texas than any other state in the United States, Austin is considered the 'Live Music Capital of the World' (which seems completely peculiar, to me ) and Laredo is the world's largest inland port!

5. To close, kindly tell me any winning production -OR- one of the three actors winning Best Performance at the 2008 Scottish Theatre Awards.

For 10 Points:
"Carthage Must Be Destroyed", "The Emperor's New Kilt", "Subway"
For 5 Points:
Keith Fleming (in "Peer Gynt") (2), Amy Manson (in "Six Characters In Search Of An Author") (2)

The other plays were "Six Characters In Search Of An Author", "Angels In America" and "Peer Gynt". The remaining actor was Gerry Mulgrew (in "Peer Gynt").

The Results!
...with a 4-Way Tie for First Place, too !

40 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, denni19, maninmidohio, szabs
35 Points! .... Mugaboo, nakarinna, srini701

Well done, everbody! A nice evenly-matched *go* of it there ... with Monthly Trivia Points going to brandz_mygirl, denni19, maninmidhio and szabs!

#424094 - Fri Jun 27 2008 07:15 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 27 – Friday

In my last two rounds we looked at the journey that my father’s parents took to get to the United States. This round will focus on my mother’s parent’s roots. They got married in the late 1890s in a small fishing village on the northern coast of Newfoundland. With very few prospects in that area they traveled to Boston, Massachusetts and set up their household there and raised eight children. This round will teach you a bit about their homeland, Newfoundland, which is now a province of Canada.

1. The first Europeans to reach America are now believed to be the Vikings under Leif Eriksson. They established their base and winter settlement at what is now L’Anse aux Meadows in present day Newfoundland. L'Anse aux Meadows is a National Historic Site in the Canadian National Park System as well as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. A recreation of the original Viking settlement can be found at this site. Visit the Canadian National Parks website and under National Historic Sites you will find L’Anse aux Meadows. In the Brief History section (under History) give me one of the pre-1980 dates (or date ranges) and the significance of the date to the site.

2. Newfoundland is unique in how it came to join the rest of Canada. At the time of Canadian federation in 1867, Newfoundland was invited to one of the initial conferences but in the end remained a colony of the United Kingdom. In 1907 it became an independent county within the British Commonwealth. In 1933, because of the burden of World War I debts and the Great Depression, Newfoundland lost its self governing status and was run by a Royal Commission. World War II brought prosperity back to Newfoundland because of its strategic position on air routes to Europe. After the war, there was great debate as to the future of the country. In 1946, the Newfoundland National Convention was formed to resolve the issue. This convention sent a delegation of 6 individuals to Ottawa in 1947 to explore the idea of joining Canada. Even the possibility of joining the United States was explored. Finally, there were two referendums which decided Newfoundland’s fate with the final vote going 52% for Confederation and 48% for Dominion status (actual margin of victory differs according to source). On March 31, 1949, Newfoundland became Canada’s tenth province.

Going back to the Ottawa Delegation of 1947, please tell me the name of one of the delegates or the district that he represented.

3. St. John’s (note the ‘s) is the provincial capital of Newfoundland and Labrador (the official name of the province). It is the oldest English founded city in North America, as well as being the most easterly city in North America. Marconi received the first transatlantic wireless message in St. John’s in December of 1901. It was the take-off point of the first non-stop transatlantic flight in June of 1919. It has long been a center of the fishing industry, but the recent discovery of off-shore oil has lead to an economic boom.

Because Newfoundland was a county in its own right before 1949, there are three radio stations in St. John’s that retain the VO prefix that was assigned by ITU to Newfoundland. These are VOCM, VOWR, and VOAR. Please give me the call letters and frequency of a current St. John’s radio station that was established after 1949 and therefore starts with the C prefix assigned to stations in Canada.

4. The Westminster Kennel Club’s website has this to say about the Newfoundland breed of dog, “The Newfoundland is a large, strong, active dog equally at home in the water and on land. In his native Newfoundland, he was used as a working dog to pull nets for the fishermen and haul wood. The oily nature of his heavy double coat, his webbed feet, his deep, broad chest and well-sprung ribs make him a natural swimmer with true life-saving instincts. His unique gentleness, even temper and devotion make him an ideal companion for child or adult. He impresses the eye with great strength, dignity and pride. Sweetness of temperament is the hallmark of the Newfoundland.” Please visit the web site of the Newfoundland Club of America and look at their Newfs in the News page. Tell me the name of one of the Newfoundlands found on the general news page (do not go to the “Read More” parts of any story).

5. Every country has a minority that winds up as the target for its local humor. In the United States we have the redneck, and in Canada they have the Newfie. The Newfoundlander has long been the butt of the local yokel jokes in Canada. Of course, it has long been suspected that the best of these jokes were made up by Newfoundlanders who take more than a little pride in their local ways. From this site please select an entry under the heading “You know you are from Newfoundland when …” that does not start with the three letter word “You.”

This round will close noonish (FT time) on Wednesday, July 2. Have a great weekend and happy Canada Day which is celebrated on July 1, commemorating the founding of the Canadian Confederation in 1867. In Newfoundland and Labrador this day is called Memorial Day in recognition of tremendous losses suffered by the 1st Newfoundland Regiment at the Battle of Somme on July 1, 1916, in World War I (only 68 of 801 answered roll call the following morning).

#424095 - Sat Jun 28 2008 01:25 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 24 will be closing in approximately 21 hours time. Plenty of time for anyone wanting to play.

#424096 - Sat Jun 28 2008 03:03 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 28 - - Saturday 28th June

Today's quiz goes from the sublime to the Ridiculous.

1. Give me a main venue used by The Sublime Society of Beef Steaks since it was founded in 1735.
2. The Sublimed are an aliens in "The Culture" series by Iain M. Banks. Please give me the name of a book in this series.
3. Give me a movie title (Not TV movies) containing either the word "Sublime" or "Ridiculous".
4. "Ridiculous" is an albulm by squeeze, the first track of wich is the single "Electric Trains". Please give me amy country that uses 750 volt DC Conductor Rails, as part if its electric rail network.
5. Finally, get your self over to cracked.com and tell me the top ten names from their list of "The 25 Most Ridiculous Band Names in Rock History".

Round will close noon (FT time) Thursday.

#424097 - Sat Jun 28 2008 11:22 PM Re: June Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 24 is all closed up now. Results will be posted later this evening (my time). Happy Sunday wishes to everyone.

#424098 - Sun Jun 29 2008 08:37 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

June 24 Round - Answers

8 super-duper players for the “ ” er…nameless round. Thank you very much for playing.

1) One of my favourite films: a fellowship of nine sets out for Mount Doom to complete a task that should have been done three thousand years ago. Please name any one of the nine.
For Ten Points: Merry/Meriadoc Brandybuck, Gimli, Boromir, Aragorn
For Five Points: Pippin/Peregrin Took (2), Frodo Baggins (2)
Not mentioned: Legolas, Sam/Samwise Gamgee, Gandalf

2) From the official site of “Dirty Jobs”, please look for Mike Rowe’s resume and give me any word from the ‘Objectives’ section of the resume that has the letter ‘O’ in it.
For Ten Points: For, Or, People, Work
For Five Points: Jobs (2), Of (2)
Not mentioned: Appreciation, Hold, Occupations, To, Who

3) Please give me an award, must state category, that Amy Winehouse was nominated for/has won in 2008.
For Ten Points: Ivor Novello Awards – Best Song Musically & Lyrically (Love is a Losing Game) Won, Brit Awards – Best British Single (Valerie), Grammy Awards – Best Pop Vocal Album (Back to Black) Won, NME Awards – Best Music DVD (I told you I was trouble)
For Five Points: Grammy Awards – Song of the Year (Rehab) Won (2), Grammy Awards – Record of the Year (Rehab) Won (2)
Not mentioned:
- Grammy Awards – Album of the Year (Back to Black), Best New Artist Won, Best Female Pop Vocal Performance (Rehab) Won
- NME Awards – Villain of the Year, Worst Dressed Performer Won, Best Solo Artist
- Ivor Novello Awards – Best Song Musically & Lyrically (You Know I’m No Good), Best Selling Song (Rehab)

4) From this site, please give me any one of the Anger Management FAQs listed.
For Ten Points: Can anger harm your health?, How do you know if you might benefit from an anger management class?, It seems as if so many people are on the verge these days. Is society becoming angrier?, So it’s not ‘bad’ to feel angry?, What can you do if you’re confronted by someone whose anger is out of control?, What causes people to become angry?, What is an anger management class, and how does it work?, Why do some people snap over even minor irritations?
10 points all! Yay!
Not mentioned: What is anger?, Why do some people think that being angry is always wrong?, What are common methods of handling anger, and which is the healthiest?, How can you stop your anger from turning into a violent outburst?, Some people blame their outbursts on others, saying things like ‘You bring out the worst in me.’ Is that a valid excuse?

5) Please give me the name of any of their (Brad and Angelina, Britney and her ex-Kevin, Gwyneth and Chris) children.
For Ten Points: Sean Preston Federline, Shiloh Nouvel Jolie-Pitt, Jayden James Federline, Apple Blythe Alison Martin
For Five Points: Maddox Chivan Jolie-Pitt (2), Moses Bruce Anthony Martin (2)
Not mentioned: Zahara Marley Jolie-Pitt, Pax Thien Jolie-Pitt

RESULTS!

Top Place:
45 points: Srini, Gatsby, Szabs & Gemini19 Well done to the four of you!

Other results:
40 points: Maninmidohio & Deputygary
30 points: Mugaboo & Nakarinna

#424099 - Mon Jun 30 2008 08:20 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 25 - Wednesday
"Ferrer"
Nine startlingly brilliant participants

1. Kindly tell me "who" represented one of the revised 'Days of Christmas' on that episode of "1 vs. 100".

For 10 Points:
Ten male ballet dancers (lords a-leaping), Eight farmer's wives (maids a-milking), Seven members of the Cal State Northridge water polo team (swans a-swimming), Six pregnant mothers-to-be (geese a-laying), Five boxers (golden rings), Two dove hunters (turtle doves), Danny Bonaduce (a Partridge in a pear tree)
For 5 Points:
Three French chefs (French hens) (2)

The others were: Twelve members of the University of Southern California Marching Band drumline (drummers drumming), Eleven plumbers (pipers piping), Nine female go-go dancers (ladies dancing) -and- Four bird callers (calling birds).

2. On her website you will find one of her poems called "The Play's the Thing". Please pick a plural word in it, OK? And limit your choice to a plural that ends in the letter 's'...

For 10 Points:
Fries, Tasks, Trucks
For 5 Points:
Books (2), Dreams (2), Hats (2)

LOTS more to pick from on this one, such as Puzzles, Blocks, Dolls, Giggles, Thoughts, Hugs, etc.

3. Please tell me a single dish to be found on Menu Toulouse-Lautrec at the Moulin Rouge.

For 10 Points:
Banana Pana-Cotta, Fresh Duck Foie Gras, Grilled Filet of Beef, Medallion of Veal Fillet Sauted, Lychee Sorbet, "Passion Fruit" Coulis, Rose-Scented Macaroon
For 5 Points:
Norvegian Smoked Salmon (2)

That's pretty much all of the them (and it includes another item from a menu I didn't even know about - but one crafty player managed to dig it up quite effectively !)...

4. On that *Hair Analysis* at Gil Ferrer's, you're asked some stuff about your mop top - so tell me one of the 'descriptions' offered on their questionnaire as to the client's Hair Type -or- Hair Length. Thanks!

For 10 Points:
coarse straight, long, medium curly, straight, wavy coarse
For 5 Points:
chin length (2), very short (2)

Given the combinations available using the basic 'descriptives' on the "analysis", the answer pool on this question was large, indeed.

5. Name a COMPOSER of one of the nine songs featured in that PBS programme (no need to send song titles, unless you want to, of course ...)

For 10 Points:
Guillermo Portabales, Francisco Repilado
For 5 Points:
Isolina Carrilo (2), Eusebo Delfin (3), Luis Marquetti (2)

Rafael Hernandez, Faustino Oramas, Mar'a Teresa Vera and Israel Lopez were the four left unmentioned.

The Results!

50 Points! .... nakarinna (Yay! Great showing !)
45 Points! .... deputygary, maninmidohio
40 Points! .... srini701
35 Points! .... denni19, gemini19, szabs
30 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, Mugaboo

Nicely done, everyone! And big happy *congrats!* to nakarinna for a point and a perfect score this time, too! Thanks for playing ... and see you all in July.

Edited by Gatsby722 (Wed Jul 02 2008 08:29 AM)

#424100 - Mon Jun 30 2008 07:19 PM Re: June Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 26 will be closing in just under 16 hours (noon tomorrow)...

#424101 - Mon Jun 30 2008 11:36 PM Re: June Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Monday June 30 – quiz

Today’s quiz title is “Bits that make a whole” . This quiz is late, late, late….sorry….means that the round will close late, late, late too.

1) From here, please give me the name of any famous left-handed actor whose last name begins with either “A” or “W” and who is still around as of today.

2) From the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (“ABRSM”) website, find the Grade 1 (the first grade of piano exams) exam syllabus for 2007/2008 and please give me the name of a composer of any song from either List A, List B or List C. Song titles are not required.

3) Please name any current or former member of the Dave Matthews Band or the the wife or any of the children of Dave Matthews.

4) Please give me any of the episode titles from Season 20 of the “New Yankee Workshop” (woodworking program that airs on PBS). Please select the titles from the official site.

5) Please give me one word that can be a synonym of the word “curmudgeon”. Hyphenated words will be treated as one word.

As mentioned EARLY-r, this round will close LATE-r so please note that closing time will be Saturday 5 July at noon FT time. Wishing everyone a great day. Also the clues are a bit obscure and there is no prize to be given, but would anyone like to guess how all the pieces fit together, that is, what is the whole that the bits lead to.

#424102 - Tue Jul 01 2008 09:59 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Round 27 will close in just over 24 hours. As happens occassionally the page for question 4 is no longer accessible from the main site listed, however it is still up on the web. To find the Newfoundlands in the News site access it here .

Plenty of time to get additional entries in.

#424103 - Tue Jul 01 2008 11:08 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 26 Results

8 players entered this round…

1. Please visit the Illinois State Museum's Butterfly Gallery and pick the common name of any other butterfly pictured there.

For 10 points: American Painted Lady, Silver-spotted Skipper, Regal Fritillary, Spicebush Swallowtail, Queen, Dog Face Sulphur

For 5 points: Spring Azure (2)

Not mentioned: Pipevine Swallowtail, Cloudless Sulphur, Falcate Orangetip, and many others

2. Please tell me the name any of the seven books in the "Tales of the City" series OR the name of Ms. Dukakis' character in the miniseries.

For 10 points: "Significant Others," "Sure of You"

For 5 points: "Further Tales of the City" (2), "Babycakes" (2), "More Tales of the City" (2)

Not mentioned: "Tales of the City," "Michael Tolliver Lives," Anna Madrigal

3. Please name any founding or non-founding member of the Olympia Academy.

For 10 points: Michele Angelo Besso, Mileva Maric, Conrad Habicht

For 5 points: Maurice Solovine (2), Paul Habicht (3)

Not mentioned: Albert Einstein, Marcel Grossmann, Lucien Chavan

4. Please visit the museum and select another painting by Manet housed in the Musée d'Orsay..

For 10 points: The Fife Player, Berthe Morisot With a Bouquet, Emile Zola, Luncheon on the Grass

For 5 points: Rochefort's Escape (4)

Not mentioned: On the Beach, Stéphane Mallarmé, The Balcony

5. Please choose any other Titan (there were twelve original Titans and their children) in Greek mythology.

For 10 points: Crius, Atlas, Coeus, Hyperion, Rhea, Phoebe

For 5 points: Tethys (2)

Not Mentioned: Oceanus, Theia, Cronus, and others

Scores:

With 45 points: maninmidohio
With 40 points: Gatsby722, denni19, szabs, gemini19
With 35 points: deputygary, brandz_mygirl
With 30 points: Mugaboo

Congratulations to maninmidohio for winning today’s June trivia point!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#424104 - Wed Jul 02 2008 11:53 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Round 27 – Newfoundland

Eight eager enigma solvers participated in the round.

1. Visit the Canadian National Parks website and under National Historic Sites you will find L’Anse aux Meadows. In the Brief History section (under History) give me one of the pre-1980 dates (or date ranges) and the significance of the date to the site.

For 10 Points –
1500 to late 1800's Area is visited by French migratory fishermen and possibly Basque whalers
1960 Helge Ingstad visits L'Anse aux Meadows and is shown some overgrown ridges by George Decker, a local resident.
1961-68 Excavations led by Anne Stine Ingstad
1977 Site is designated a National Historic Site.

For 5 Points –
ca. 6000 B.P. Native peoples began using this location. (2)
1914 W.A. Munn of Newfoundland hypothesizes that the Norse landed at L'Anse aux Meadows. (2)

Not Chosen -
ca. 1000 A.D. Norse Settlement
ca. 1835 The present day community of L'Anse aux Meadows is founded by William Decker.
1973-76 Further excavations undertaken by Parks Canada
September 8, 1978 Site is recognized as one of the world's major archaeological properties and is designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

2. From the Ottawa Delegation of 1947, please tell me the name of one of the delegates or the district that he represented.

For 10 Points – T.G.W. Ashbourne, F.G. Bradley, P.W. Crummey, Bonavista South, Bay de Verde, Bonavista Centre

For 5 Points – Charles Ballram (2)

Not Chosen – Lester Burry, Joey Smallwood, Twillingate, Humber, Labrador (Twillingate holds a special place for me because it is the small fishing village that my grandparents came from. It is actually two small islands just off the north coast of Newfoundland and now the district capitol of the region. In the early 70s I went to Newfoundland on vacation and visited Twillingate. I found relatives and even the land where the houses were that both my grandparents grew up in. They had long ago been torn down because of abandonment. The area has seen a lot of improvements since then – there is even a bridge now connecting the town to the mainland.)

3. Please give me the call letters and frequency of a current St. John’s radio station that was established after 1949 and therefore starts with the C prefix assigned to stations in Canada.

For 10 Points – CBN (640 AM), CJYQ (930 AM), CHMR (93.4 FM), CBAX-2 (101.1 FM), CFOZ (102.1 FM), CBAF-17 (105.9 FM)

For 5 Points – CKIX (99.1 FM) (2)

Not Chosen – CICQ (92.3 FM), CHOZ (94.7 FM), CKSJ (101.1 FM), CHMR (102.7 FMC), CBN (105.9 FM)

4. Please visit the web site of the Newfoundland Club of America and look at their Newfs in the News page. Tell me the name of one of the Newfoundlands found on the general news page (do not go to the “Read More” parts of any story). (I apologize to anyone who had trouble finding this page. Over the weekend the Newfoundland Club of America revised its web site and the Newfoundlands in the News page was no longer accessible from there home page. The page was still up however and I was able to supply the URL to one intrepid player.)

For 10 Points – Gracie, Bilbo, Josh, Tess

For 5 Points – Stripy (2), Barnabas (2)

Not Chosen – Bear, Brogan, Whizz, Lily, Archie

5. From this site please select an entry under the heading “You know you are from Newfoundland when …” that does not start with the three letter word “You.”

For 10 Points –
- The mosquitoes have landing lights.
- You've taken your kids trick-or-treating in a blizzard.
- Driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled in with snow.
- At least twice a year, the kitchen doubles as a meat processing plant.
- Your snowblower gets stuck on the roof.

For 5 Points –
- The local paper covers national and international headlines on 1/4 page, but requires 6 pages for local softball scores. (3)

Not Chosen –
- Canadian Tire on any Saturday is busier than the toy stores at Christmas.
- The most effective mosquito repellent is a shotgun.
- The trunk of your car doubles as a deep freeze.
- The municipality buys a Zamboni before a bus.

The results:
45 points – denni, szabs
40 points – brandz_mygirl, deputygary, Gatsby, Mugaboo, nakarinna
35 points – srini

The race was tight, but in the end denni and szabs were victorious and take home one trivia point for the month of June. Thanks to everyone for playing.

#424105 - Thu Jul 03 2008 11:21 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 28 - 8 played

1. Give me a main venue used by The Sublime Society of Beef Steaks since it was founded in 1735.
For 10 points: Covent Garden Theatre; Old Lyceum Theatre; Beefsteak Club
For 5 points: Lyceum Tavern [3]; New Lyceum Theatre [2]
Not mentioned: Bedford Coffee-house; Irish Club; Boisdale Club

2. The Sublimed are an aliens in "The Culture" series by Iain M. Banks. Please give me the name of a book in this series.
For 10 points: The Player of Games; Use of Weapons; The State of the Art; Excession; Inversions; Look to Windward
For 5 points: Matter [2]
Not mentioned: Consider Phlebas

3. Give me a movie title (Not TV movies) containing either the word "Sublime" or "Ridiculous".
For 10 points: Crazy Ridiculous American People (1977); Le Désirable et le sublime (1970); Point Sublime (2005); Sublime Melodia (1956); That's Ridiculous (2005); The Lie Sublime (1916)
For 5 points: A Lovce Sublime (1917) [2]
Not mentioned include: Sublime amour (1913); Sublime (2007); The Dream of a Ridiculous Man (1992)

4. "Ridiculous" is an albulm by squeeze, the first track of wich is the single "Electric Trains". Please give me amy country that uses 750 volt DC Conductor Rails, as part if it's electric rail network.
For 10 points: Hungary; Puerto Rico; Thailand; United States
For 5 points: Denmark [2]; Finland [2]
Not mentioned include: Austria; Brazil; India; Romania; Russia; Singapore

5. Finally, get your self over to cracked.com and tell me the top ten names from their list of "The 25 Most Ridiculous Band Names in Rock History".
For 10 points: Limp Bizkit; Hootie and the Blowfish
For 5 points: Enuff Z'nuff [2]; Mott the Hoople [2]; Thirty Odd Foot of Grunts [2]
Not mentioned: Chumbawamba; Hoobastank; Toad the Wet Sprocket; Archers of Loaf; !!!

Scores:
45 points: Gatsby722; Nakarinna; Srini701
35 points: Brandz_mygirl; Deputygary; Maninmidohio; Szabs
30 points: Denni19

How ridiculous - our three winners have a ten point lead over the rest of the field. Well done Gatsby, Nakarinna and Srini for a well earned point each.

#424106 - Sat Jul 05 2008 11:05 AM Re: June Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 30 is now closed. Results will be out later today. Happy weekend wishes to all.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002