Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#427937 - Tue Jul 01 2008 05:42 AM July Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
THE FT TRIVIA ROUNDS

Each day (except Sunday) one of our Trivia Round hosts will post 5 questions that have multiple possible correct answers. Each player should PM his or her answers to the host within the time frame specified (at least 48 hours, but usually more). Each unique correct answer provided (one that was not given by any other player) will receive 10 points, each non-unique correct answer will receive 5 points.

No sign-up or registration is required to play!!! and each player can play as many or as few Rounds as he or she chooses.

Mondays - Brandz_mygirl and Gatsby
Tuesdays - Brandz_mygirl and Denni
Wednesdays - Gatsby and JaneMarple
Thursdays - Nakarinna
Fridays - Szabs and Maninmidohio
Saturdays - Mugaboo and Cinnam0n

(As far as I know nothing has changed in last month's roster, but if it did please let me know and I'll immediately make the necessary corrections )

#427938 - Tue Jul 01 2008 05:58 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

ROUND 1 - Tuesday

Yesterday at work I had to draw a small sketch of a crane (machine), to be added in a drawing where we showed some construction phases/technology - very interesting subject for all of you, I'm sure .
So I thought I'd stick with "CRANE" for today.

1 - The CRANE is a piece of machinery used to lift and lower materials and to move them horizontally. It may sound funny, but there are a few cranes that over the years have been considered of special interest due to their history, dimensions or design. For 76 years, The Finnieston Crane has been sitting on the north bank of the River Clyde in Glasgow, Scotland and is one of the most identifiable images of the city, being classified as a Category A listed structure/building.
~~ From HERE please give me any other "Category A listed building" in Glasgow OR Edinburgh.

2 - Stephen CRANE, American novelist, poet and journalist, is most famous for his novel "The Red Badge of Courage" which at only four months after its publication in 1895 was in the top six on various bestseller lists around the USA. The story of a 19-year-old boy as a recruit in the American Civil War who is at first filled with boyish dreams of the glory of war and then quickly becomes disillusioned by war's reality, Crane's novel has been published in numerous editions over the 100+ years since its appearance.
~~ Please visit the novel's website, pick your favourite cover art and give me its number. -- If you keep the mouse over a picture you'll see its number in the status bar of your browser (bottom left corner) or you can click on any cover and go to the larger version of it, thus seeing the number in the web address of the new page.

3 - Viewed as a symbol of longevity, good fortune and happiness, the CRANE bird plays an important role in cultures throughout Asia. According to tradition, if one folds 1000 Origami cranes one's wish for health will be granted. Since the death of Sadako Sasaki this applies to a wish for peace as well.
~~ Please follow the link I posted above and come up with any of the numbered headings/titles on that page. (fourteen to pick from)

4 - As I mentioned Origami in my previous question, why not stop for a moment at the Origami Club and have a look at the Traditional page.
~~ Leaving the CRANE aside, kindly name any of the other models listed in there.

5 - The Morning CRANE Healing Arts Center, in San Jose, California, is a place where people can learn how to cultivate the positive, vital life force (Qi) and to increase vitality, health, and longevity, through the practice of Qigong. One of their most interesting feature is the "Chinese Face Reading" class which teaches you how to get to know people without ever talking to them. [Wouldn't that be just perfect for us, Internet users? ]
Anyway...
~~ Please visit the Morning Crane Healing Arts Center's website and check out the Chinese Face Reading course. Please come up with one of the topics that are covered in any of the 3 classes.

That's it for today. If there's anything you need to clarify about my questions don't hesitate to drop a note. I promise to read them all and reply as quickly as possible.
Round 1 will be closed on Saturday, at noon FT time.

Have a great week !

#427939 - Wed Jul 02 2008 02:53 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
This should be a "easy" round

Wednesday 2 July
Q1 A boy’s name beginning with X
Q2 A girls name beginning with X
Q3 A profession beginning with X
Q4 A FICTIONAL character with the first name or surname beginning with X
Q5 Any animal beginning with X

This round closes over the weekend

#427940 - Thu Jul 03 2008 01:43 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 3 - Thursday

There is no theme to today's round; it's very much a hodgepodge. However, here goes:

1. Please give me the name of any movie (no television) that features a zebra within the film.

2. Please select a member of the family whose livelihood is showcased in the HBO series "Family Bonds."

3. Please visit the Dr. Pepper Snapple Group's website and choose one of their carbonated soft drink brands.(Clicking on the brand names can help identify what kind of product it is.)

4. Please tell me the name of an Australian recipient of the George Cross, the highest civil decoration of the Commonwealth of Nations.

5. Please pick a monster from this list of seven classic movie monsters OR the actor who played the monster in the film noted on the list. (N.B. Not every monster has a corresponding actor.)

This round will close on Tuesday, July 8 at noon FT time. Please PM me with any questions. Good luck!

#427941 - Sat Jul 05 2008 12:08 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 4

This round is dedicated to Water.

1. Water- H20 is a common chemical substance that is essential for the survival of all known forms of life, 71% of the Earth's surface is covered in water, mostly found in oceans and other large water bodies. On the Wikipedia site, you will find different names given to water's various forms; would you be so kind and give me the name of a water according to occurrence.

2. Water Partners International is a U.S.-based nonprofit organization committed exclusively to provide safe drinking water and sanitation to people in developing countries, they work in partnership with donors and local communities. Since its inception in 1990, WaterPartners has transformed thousands of lives with access to safe water and sanitation in eight countries. From their site could you please tell me one of the countries they work in.

3. Water World Magazine is dedicated to the professionals in municipal, industrial and international water and wastewater industry covering storm water management product, groundwater treatment and others. From their site go to their Events page and tell me an upcoming event in the Month of July 2008. Please give me the date / location and brief title ( as there are several events with same title but in different locations)

4. The World Fair 2008 is celebrated this year in Zaragoza Spain, from the 14th of June till the 14th of September. Known as Expo Zaragoza it is dedicated exclusively to water. Their theme says” Experience the Biggest Water Festival on Earth”. Some of the most influential people of recent times have made a commitment to Expo Zaragoza 2008 in order to increase its Legacy. Over fifteen original essays, born from the critical and thought provoking pens of outstanding writers, will comprise the Water Words collection. The aim of these works will be to bring the basic issues concerning water and sustainable development closer to the general public through the publication of brief essays in three different languages (Spanish, English and French). Please pay a visit to the Expo Zaragoza site , go to the Water Tribune, and there you will find Water Words, if you would be so kind please give me the name of one of the writers. (please do not include any of the other names next to Gorbachov).

5. Mineral Waters of the World is a non-profit consumer web site that offers comprehensive information about bottled water. All over the world, water is one of the most popular drinks. Its popularity with consumers increased over the last couple of years dramatically. This led to an explosion of available brands. From this site please give me the brand name of a bottled water from Sweden.

Let's say we close this round Wednesday night FT time. If you have any questions just holler. In the meantime enjoy your weekend wherever you are in the world .

#427942 - Sat Jul 05 2008 11:37 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Round 1 is closed and results will be posted as soon as I receive the correction I'm waiting for .

#427943 - Sun Jul 06 2008 09:22 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 7 ~ Monday

Just another mixed bag (themed by some random drawings of cards in the ever-handy Trivial Pursuit game) today ...

1. To begin, our first try's in SPORTS & LEISURE, and we're asked: What Olympic aquatic event includes such positions as the flamingo, crane and fishtail? Hmmm. I'm thinking *Synchronized Swimming* is one of those sports that doesn't really look like a sport, but requires various skills, so it is a sport. But if you're a fan of, say, boxing or football? It's probably not your idea of a sport. Wikipedia's page describes it as a hybrid of swimming, gymnastics, and dance, with swimmers performing a routine of elaborate and dramatic moves in the water, accompanied by music. The Olympics hands out medals for it (so that certainly qualifies its official "sport-ishness", yes?) OK. So I'd like to know one of the judges for Synchronized Swimming at the 2004 Summer Olympics ~ either in Technical Merit OR Artistic Impression.

2. SCIENCE & NATURE is next. What kitchen invention took the top prize at the 1893 Chicago World's Fair? is our trivial request. It was *The Dishwasher* ! Good heavens, only 14 years after 'inventing' electric light, someone whipped up a dishwasher? The device, though, has been a blessing to many - notably the billions of people who make/made a living using one. One I found interesting was Pete Jordan, who "transformed from itinerant seeker into 'Dishwasher Pete' - folk hero, writer, and the ultimate professional *dish dog*!" Pete's book "Dishwasher: One Man's Quest to Wash Dishes in All Fifty States" looks very fun. On its back cover Mr. Jordan wrote a blurb. Have a look at it (it starts "For twelve years...") and tell me ANY word in that 2-sentence paragraph that ends in the letter D, I, S or H! Thank you!

3. Now to ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT ~ What talk show host invited audience members to open the show by saying, "Hit it, John!"? Yay. I knew the answer was *Rosie O'Donnell* (and I even recalled that 'John' was her resident musician, John McDaniel). "The Rosie O'Donnell Show" was a popular daytime TV show hosted and produced by the actress and comedienne. It aired for six seasons from 1996 to 2002, the topics often discussed being: Broadway, children, extended families and charitable works, people and organizations (lots of schmoozing). This time, I'd like to know a guest appearing on Rosie O'Donnell's talk show (individual or musical group ... but no individuals in said musical group ) on today's date, JULY 7, in any year of the show's run. Note: repeated episodes/guests count, if they aired on July 7.

4. Let's try What do westerners call the Chinese province of Xizang? in PEOPLE & PLACES next, shall we? That'd be *Tibet*, a plateau region in Asia. With an average elevation of 4,900 metres (16,000 ft), it is the highest region on Earth and is commonly referred to as the "Roof of the World." Mount Everest [or Chomolungma], the highest mountain in the world, is over there, too, of course. Thematically, then, let's talk about the trendy Queen Street West area of Toronto, where sits the Everest Restaurant & Lounge. Its menu offers spicy Asian foods from Tibet and India or just delicious sandwiches, pastas or pizzas. Take a moment and tell us an item on the Tibet menu at 'Everest Restaurant' (NO side dishes/drinks, please) ...

5. Last up is the WILD CARD! What African-American writer lost the sight in one eye when her brother shot her with a B.B. gun? *Alice Walker* is an author and feminist; she received the 1983 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction for her acclaimed "The Color Purple". The B.B. incident was impacting for Walker ~ even that a white doctor swindled her parents out of $250 paid to repair her injury. She [somehow] refers to this incident in her book "Warrior Marks" (about female genital mutilation in Africa), using it to illustrate the sacrificial marks women bear that allow them to be "warriors" against female suppression ? "The Color Purple" was turned into a successful feature film in 1985 and then a worthy Broadway musical in 2005. All I'm looking for this time is the name of any song from the musical "The Color Purple" - but limit your choice to a tune that the character Celie is a named singer of, either solo or with other(s).

All righty . This'll close on Friday at noon. If you get stuck (which you prob.ly won't, I know), don't hesitate to holler, OK? Have a boffo week!

#427944 - Mon Jul 07 2008 05:41 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 2 July Results

Q1 A boy’s name beginning with X
For Ten Points
Xabat, Xiao (Galacian origin), Xanthus, Ximenes, Xandan (Kurdish), Xalvador, Xiaoping, Xanto (Italian origin meaning Golden),
For Five Points
Ten points to all
Not mentioned
Xavier and more

Q2 A girls name beginning with X
For Ten Points
Xeveria, Xylia (wood dweller in Greek) , Xalbadora (Spanish), Xamirah, Xiangyun, Xhosa (African origin),
For Five Points
Xuxa (Portuguese) (2),
Not mentioned
Xena and more

Q3 A profession beginning with X
For Ten Points
Xylorimbaist (Person who plays the Xylorimba) , Xanax manufacturer, xylophonist, X++ Programmer, Xenodiagnostician, Xerographer, Xenomancer (fortune teller who uses strangers to predict the future), Xray machine operator,
For Five Points
Ten points to all
Not mentioned
Xylophone player and more

Q4 A FICTIONAL character with the first name or surname beginning with X
For Ten Points
Xan Lyppiatt (The Children of Men, P. D. James), Xavier Escalante (1988 film Tequila Sunrise), Xantha (Queen of the Dryads, from The Belgariad and The Mallorean series by David Eddings), Xue Baochai (from the novel "Dream of the Red Chamber"), Mr. X (Curtain - Agatha Christie),
For Five Points
Xenia Onatopp (James Bond villianess) (3)
Not mentioned
Xenophilius Lovegood (Harry Potter series) and more

Q5 Any animal beginning with X
For Ten Points
Xyrichtys pavo (Type of fish), Xantus Leaf-Toed Gecko: Phyllodactylus xanti, xinjiangovenator (dinosaur), Xenodon Severus (kind of Snake), Xiphophorus couchianus (Monterrey platyfish), Xestus sabretooth blenny (fish),
For Five Points
Xantus's Murrelet (a seabird) (2),
Not mentioned
There must be more

8 Competitors
Scores
brandz_mygirl - 50
Gatsby – 50
maninmidohio - 50

Nakarinna – 45
Szabs - 45
Zorba Scank – 45

Deputygary – 40
Mugaboo – 40

Well done to brandz_mygirl,Gatsby and maninmidohio!

#427945 - Mon Jul 07 2008 06:35 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Results for ROUND 1

8 great players sent their answers – Thank you all !

1 ~~ From HERE please give me any other "Category A listed building" in Glasgow OR Edinburgh.

10 points: Willow Tearooms (Glasgow), Queensberry House – Scottish Parliament Complex (Edinburgh), General Assembly Hall of the Church of Scotland (Edinburgh), Pollokshields Burgh Hall (Glasgow), Palace of Holyroodhouse (Edinburgh), Gartnavel Royal Hospital (Glasgow)

5 points: Royal College of Psysicians of Edinburgh [2]

Not mentioned: Bute House (Edinburgh), Glasgow City Chambers, Greyfriars Kirk (Edinburgh), John Knox House (Edinburgh), New Register House (Edinburgh), Parliament Hall (Edinburgh), St. Andrew's House (Edinburgh) and that’s about all that were on that list

2 ~~ Please visit the ”Red Badge of Courage” website, pick your favourite cover art and give me its number

10 points: #12, #40, #34, #42, #17, #32

5 points: #16 [2]

Not mentioned: Twenty (or more) other covers.

3 ~~ Please follow This Link (Sadako Sasaki) and come up with any of the numbered headings/titles on that page.

10 points: #1 – Paper Cranes from Foreign Countries, #11 – Classmates Visiting Sadako

5 points: #4 – Two Months After the Atomic Bombing [3], #9 – Sadako’s Elementary School Diploma [3]

Not mentioned: #2 - Sadako's Parents Hoped She Would Grow Up Healthy, #3 - The Dropping of the Atomic Bomb, #5 - Toward Recovery, New Lives Begin, #6 - Fastest Runner in the School, #7 - Signs of Illness, #8 - A Death Sentence, #10 - The Kokeshi Sadako bought and Kept by Her Bedside in the Hospital, #12 - Peace Prayer, #13 - Paper Cranes Donated as a Get-well Gift and #14 - A Life Snuffed Out

4 ~~ Stop for a moment at the Origami Club and have a look at the Traditional page - Leaving the CRANE aside, kindly name any of the other models listed in there.

10 points: Frog, Candy Box, Piano, Bird, Wallet, Goldfish

5 points: Box 3 [2]

Not mentioned: The rest of them - 21 models

5 ~~ Please visit the Morning Crane Healing Arts Center's website and check out the Chinese Face Reading course. Please come up with one of the topics that are covered in any of the 3 classes

10 points: Tips of the Nose; Eye brow; Tell if people are controlling or have anger issues, pessimistic, burn the candle at both ends; Facial zones-how to tell if a person makes decisions based upon practicality, gut instinct or thinking about it logically

5 points: Reading a Persons’s Ears [2], Water Traits [2]

Not mentioned: Facial Geomancy, Female and Male age markings on the face, Wood traits, Fire traits, Reading all the parts of the eyes, Dimples in the chin, Earth and Metal Traits, Learn about the variances of the lips size shape and their meaning, Read the rest of the nose and cheeks, Tell if someone is giving with money and energy, Passionate, Reserved in public but adventurous behind close doors, Tendency to lie or gossip

The RESULTS for Round 1 are:

With 45 points: Lizard_Wizard, Nakarinna and Gatsby – My warmest Congratulations!

With 40 points: Maninmidohio and Mugaboo

With 35 points: Brandz_mygirl, Szabs and Deputygary

Well, here we are… the very first points of July go to our three winners - Lizard_Wizard, Nakarinna and Gatsby. Well done you !

#427946 - Mon Jul 07 2008 10:16 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Apologies to all for being late with Round 5! We had a busy holiday weekend!

Round 5

1. On Friday, our Independence Day picnic ended with fireworks! From this site, choose a product from Phantom Fireworks' line of best sellers.

2. Yesterday, we went to the Westmoreland Arts and Heritage Festival, which is held every year during the first weekend of July here in western Pennsylvania. Please name any of the food vendors that were there.

3. There was a lot of live entertainment at the Festival. Please name any of the Special Presentations listed in the entertainment section.

4. In the car this morning, I heard a news story about the new words in the latest edition of Webster's Collegiate Dictionary. There are over 100 of them, but you just have to give me one for your answer.

5. Independence Day commemorates the signing of the Declaration of Independence. So please name any one of the signers of that document.

This will close on Thursday at noon. Have a wonderful week, everyone!

Edited by cinnam0n (Mon Jul 07 2008 10:17 AM)

#427947 - Mon Jul 07 2008 11:19 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 3 will be closing in just under 24 hours...

#427948 - Tue Jul 08 2008 02:14 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Tuesday July 8 – quiz

Another no title round I’m afraid, just various stuff.

1) I’m half listening to a “Friends” Season 8 rerun on TV while the other half of me is typing this. Please give me an episode title from “Friends” Season 8 that has exactly five words in it.

2) I came across an article on the internet that mentioned toothpaste that comes in several different flavors, in tubes that are only numbered, with no flavors written on them. Of course, I had to look into this. From this page, please give me any one of the flavors available for “Breath Palette” toothpaste. At least you can tell what flavors you are ordering.

3) I watched an episode of “Everest: Beyond the Limit 2” on the Discovery Channel over the weekend. There are 14 independent mountains that are more than 8,000 metres in height, known as the “Eight-thousanders”. Please give me the name of any one of the ten highest of the “Eight-thousanders”.

4) I had an onion and tuna sandwich the other day. Fortunately for all the people I had to talk to thereafter, I had a packet of Wrigley’s “Eclipse” (spearmint flavor) handy. From The Wrigley Company’s website, please give me the brand name of a product, other than “Eclipse”, that is marketed by them.

5) This last question is brought to you courtesy of Brandy, who is at this moment, soundly sleeping beside me. Apart from being my dog, Brandy is also a spirit made by distilling wines to a higher proof (most of the water in the wine is removed to achieve a higher alcohol content). Brandy can also be made from fruits other than grapes, hence the name Fruit Brandy. From this site, please name any fruit, other than grapes, that is mentioned in the section under Fruit Brandy.

Please PM if you need help. This round will close on Saturday 12 July at midnight FT time. Thanks!

#427949 - Tue Jul 08 2008 11:30 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 9 ~ Wednesday

Just another "bit o' everything" Trivial Pursuit-ish Round again this time ....

1. HISTORY is up first today: Whose Presidential inauguration featured a performance by Little Richard? *Bill Clinton* is the one, of course. Born in 1932, Rev. Richard Wayne Penniman began performing publicly in 1945 and was a key figure in the genesis of rock 'n roll. Known for his flambuoyance (not to mention "Good Golly Miss Molly"), Richard is a named major influence of the likes of Elvis Presley, Otis Redding, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, Jimi Hendrix and David Bowie. He's done some acting, too, notably in the 1986 comedy film starring Nick Nolte and Bette Midler about a rich, dysfunctional couple who save the life of a suicidal bum. To get us going, please tell me a song that appears on the recording of the soundtrack for the movie Down and Out in Beverly Hills.

2. Here's the WILD CARD! question ~ What's the 'Q' short for in "Q-Tips"? The answer is simply *Quality*! They're also called cotton swabs, "ear buds" and/or "ear-plungers" . But since there's not much to say about the things, let's address a British sitcom that began in 1967 called "Never Mind The Quality, Feel The Width," where the plots revolved around two tailors in business together, Manny Cohen (who was Jewish) and Patrick Kelly (who was Irish). The show lasted for a few rocky years -- suffice it to say that it would have been even more short-lived in today's occasionally peevish market. The program was many things, "politically correct" NOT being one of them. Take a moment and tell me an episode title of "Never Mind The Quality, Feel The Width" that had its first airing in 1968 or 1969.

3. How many of every four Polish rivers were deemed biologically dead by 1990? -- we're in SCIENCE & NATURE now. Three? 75%? According to the Polish Academy of Sciences, "a third of the nation's 38 million people live in areas of ecological disaster." In the heavily industrialized Katowice region of Poland, the people suffer 15% more circulatory disease, 30% more tumors, and 47% more respiratory disease than other Poles. Physicians and scientists believe pollution is a major contributor to these health problems!? Yikes . Back to the [unfortunate] rivers, though -- I'd like to know a river in Poland that is longer than 250km. Note: that'd be the length of the river WITHIN Poland, NOT the length of the river overall, as it might or might not stretch through other counries...

4. Now we are at ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT and we get this [rather disturbing] question: What budding rock star quit the University of Texas after being voted "Ugliest Man On Campus," in 1963? How entirely insulting ! That was *Janis Joplin*. Her very first recorded song was the somewhat prophetic "What Good Can Drinkin' Do" in 1962, and at the time her interests lay more in painting and beat poetry. Very soon she fell deeply into the "blues," and rock 'n roll history. Despite her short life, Miss Joplin became a legend ("ugly man" labels or not) and is immortalized in the Museum of the Gulf Coast in downtown Port Arthur, Texas. This time, please tell me a person honored in the Museum of the Gulf Coast (Music Legends, Sports Legends or Notable People) whose surname begins with *J*. Janis Joplin won't count, OK?

5. We end with PEOPLE & PLACES and are asked: What's the world's second-largest religion? While it may be the second largest, it's safe to say that *Islam* is the most controversial one these days? It's often an entire religion (of millions) being painted with a large brush, based on the zealotry conducted by just a small percentage within it. In May 2008, The Muslim Writers Awards were given and they put forth a worthy effort to help show what Islam is, and moreso what it isn't. Their motto? "Make a difference. Write now!" And write they did ~ receiving 10,000 submissions, rich in sharing life experiences and establishing a hoped-for *outreach*. The winner in the 'Short Story' category was Kashif Choudhry for "Bedtime Story". It's a lovely (albeit subtly sad) story indeed. Please have a look at the tale (and I hope you have time to read the entire thing - it really is brief) and tell me a sentence in the first or last paragraph of it.

This'll be open until Sunday at noon! See you then [if not sooner].

#427950 - Wed Jul 09 2008 04:34 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 4 will be closing in about 12 hours, still plenty of time for late entries.

#427951 - Thu Jul 10 2008 04:04 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 4 Answers 8 Magnificent players participated in this water round.

1. Water- H20 is a common chemical substance that is essential for the survival of all known forms of life, 71% of the Earth's surface is covered in water, mostly found in oceans and other large water bodies. On the Wikipedia site, you will find different names given to water's various forms; would you be so kind and give me the name of a water according to occurrence.

For 10 Points: Meteoric Water, Brackish Water
For 5 Points:Fresh water (2), Ground water (2), Melt water (2)
Others were: Connate, Mineral, Dead, Seawater, Brine

2. Water Partners International is a U.S.-based nonprofit organization committed exclusively to provide safe drinking water and sanitation to people in developing countries, they work in partnership with donors and local communities. From their site could you please tell me one of the countries they work in.

For 10 Points: Guatemala, India
For 5 Points:El Salvador (2), The Phillippines (2), Bangladesh (2)
Others were: Ethiopia, Honduras, Kenya

3. Water World Magazine is dedicated to the professionals in municipal, industrial and international water From their site go to their Events page and tell me an upcoming event in the Month of July 2008.

For 10 Points: Hydraulic Design Of Rotodynamic Pumps, Application, Operation & Maintenance of Pumps & Pump Systems, Trade Waste Conference and Trade Show, CCLP Course Series with coast, Climate Change Impacts In The Water Industry
For 5 Points: 16 – 18 4th Biennial International Young Water Professionals Conference (3)
Among others were (19 to choose from): Water in Mining, Water Summit 2008, Taipei EnPEC & Water Show

4. The World Fair 2008 is celebrated this year in Zaragoza Spain, from the 14th of June till the 14th of September. Known as Expo Zaragoza it is dedicated exclusively to water. Their theme says” Experience the Biggest Water Festival on Earth”. Please pay a visit to the Expo Zaragoza site , go to the Water Tribune, and there you will find Water Words, if you would be so kind please give me the name of one of the writers. (please do not include any of the other names next to Gorbachov).

For 10 Points: Wangari Maathai, Antonio Garrigues Walker, Federico Mayor Zaragoza, Marina Da Silva, Mikhail Gorbachev
For 5 Points: Victor Viñuelas (3)
Others were (16 to choose from): Jeremy Rifkin, Vandana Shiva, Rigoberta Menchú, Susan George, Riccardo Petrella, Javier Solana.

5. Mineral Waters of the World is a non-profit consumer web site that offers comprehensive information about bottled water. From this site please give me the brand name of a bottled water from Sweden.

For 10 Points: Signum, Carl von Linné, Stenkulla, Malmberg Original Water
For 5 Points: Söderåsen (2), Vilamina (2)
Others were: Aqua Terrena, Ice Mist, Källvatten Mörarp, Karlsson, Maestro, Ramlösa, Tellus Natural Mineral Water

And the Scores are:
The sole winner with 45 points goes to: Brandz_mygirl
Closely behind all with 35 points: Denni19, DeputyGary, Gatsby722, Nakarina, Maninmidohio Mugaboo & Srini701

Congratulations to Brandz_mygirl for picking up 1 point for the month of July , thank you all for playing, and enjoy the rest of your week.

#427952 - Thu Jul 10 2008 09:37 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Sorry for my tardiness in posting the results...

Round 3 Results

8 players entered this round…

1. Please give me the name of any movie (no television) that features a zebra within the film.

For 10 points: Zebra in the Kitchen (1965), Madagascar (2005), Hatari! (1962), The Gods Must Be Crazy II (1989), Tobias Totz und sein Löwe (1999), The Lion and the Zebra Make God's Raw Jewels (1999)

For 5 points: Racing Stripes (2005) – (2)

Not mentioned: The Bucket List (2007), The Gods Must Be Crazy (1980), Swiss Family Robinson (1960), Jumanji (1995), and others

2. Please select a member of the family whose livelihood is showcased in the HBO series "Family Bonds."

For 10 points: Chris Evangelista, Sal Evangelista, Frankie Evangelista

For 5 points: Dana Giassakis (3), Jimmy Carfora (2)

Not mentioned: Tom Evangelista, Flo Evangelista, Dawn Carfora, Kim Persinger

3. Please visit the Dr. Pepper Snapple Group's website and choose one of their carbonated soft drink brands.

For 10 points: Canada Dry, Schweppes, Squirt, Diet Rite, Welch's, Orangina, Crush, 7UP

For 5 points: none

Not mentioned: A&W, Dr Pepper, Hires, and others

4. Please tell me the name of an Australian recipient of the George Cross, the highest civil decoration of the Commonwealth of Nations.

For 10 points: Captain Lionel Colin Matthews, Lieutenant Leon Verdi Goldsworthy, Private Ralph Jones, Errol John Emanuel

For 5 points: Private Horace William Madden (2), Chief Petty Officer Jonathan Rogers (2)

Not mentioned: Sergeant Eric George Bailey, Raymond Tasman Donoghue, Lieutenant George Gosse

5. Please pick a monster from this list of seven classic movie monsters OR the actor who played the monster in the film noted on the list.

For 10 points: Lon Chaney, Jr., The Invisible Man, Frankenstein

For 5 points: The Mummy (3), Claude Rains (2)

Not Mentioned: Boris Karloff, The Bride of Frankenstein, Elsa Lanchester, Dracula, Bela Lugosi, King Kong, The Wolf Man

Scores:

With 45 points: deputygary and denni19
With 40 points: maninmidohio, Gatsby722, brandz_mygirl, srini701
With 35 points: Mugaboo, szabs

Congratulations to deputygary and denni19 for winning one July trivia point each!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#427953 - Thu Jul 10 2008 09:54 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 7 will be wrapping up in 24 hours, folks ...

#427954 - Thu Jul 10 2008 11:18 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 10 - Thursday

1. Arles is a city in the south of France established in the sixth century BC. Arles eventually became renowned as a cultural and religious centre during the late Roman Empire. As a result, Arles contains many examples of Roman and Romanesque architecture including the Roman Theatre, the Thermae of Constantine, and the Church of St. Trophime. Arles was declared a World Heritage Site in 1981. Please name another World Heritage Site located in France that was established between 1980-1989.

2. The National Sunflower Association (NSA) is a non-profit organization that promotes the production, marketing, education, and policy of sunflowers. Also, the NSA provides small grants to public researchers to stimulate new or additional work that may result in lower production costs, increased quality and higher yields. Please choose one of the NSA's 2008 Research Priorities (under the 'Research' tab on the home page).

3. In the Bedroom is a critically acclaimed film from 2001. The movie follows two Maine families, the Fowlers and the Strouts, as they become closely intertwined. In the Bedroom was praised for its thought-provoking script, direction, and acting; it was also nominated for many awards. Please pick an either an Academy Award or a Golden Globe that In the Bedroom was nominated for or won.

4. The Potato Eaters are a group of four artists who created a multimedia exhibit (using photography, video, painting, drawing, neon, fiber, food, fire, and ice) at the Mad Art Gallery in St. Louis. Ron Buechele, owner of the gallery, was named to St. Louis Magazine's Hot List in 2005. In that vein, please head over to St. Louis Magazine's A-List/08 section and tell me a winner within the 'Culture' category.

5. If you are an art enthusiast (and able to follow my clues), you may have figured out the theme to my round. Sunflowers, The Bedroom, and The Potato Eaters are all works of art by preeminent Dutch painter Vincent Van Gogh. Arles, France is where van Gogh painted several of his paintings, including Sunflowers, The Night Café, and The Red Vineyard - the only piece of van Gogh's that sold while he was alive. Several of van Gogh's works are displayed at the Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts in Moscow, where he is categorized under the heading 'Painting of the Late XIX - Early XX Centuries." Please select another artist classified as such at the Pushkin Museum.

This round will close Tuesday, July 15 at noon FT time. Please PM me with any questions. Good luck!

#427955 - Fri Jul 11 2008 07:31 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 11

Now that we have investigated all of my grandparents it is time to look at my parents. My mother was blessed with a name that is not that common. It is biblical and means married. When I was very young, the only two references to the name I had besides my mother was a witch on Kukla, Fran, and Ollie and a black maid who starred in an early TV series (I was very much addicted to TV as a child). By the way, the NAACP was none too happy about the black maid on the TV show, even if the show was named for the character and portrayed by the great Ethel Waters. As a tribute to my mother, this will be the Beulah Round.

1. Beulah was a San Francisco indie rock band that was active from 1996 until 2004. Their story is of a band that found a modicum of success, but eventually caved in upon itself. Tell me the name of one of the band members or a record label that issued records for the band.

2. Founded in 1923, Beulah Park holds the distinction of being Ohio’s "first original" racetrack. During the early years, the track enjoyed a reputation as the "Little Saratoga" of the Midwest. It is located in Grove City, OH, just south of Columbus. Tell me one of the 2008 Stakes races that has been held or will be held at Beulah Park (you will find this information under Racing Office on their homepage).

3. In September of 1967, Hurricane Beulah made landfall in Texas to become one of the five most severe hurricanes to affect Texas’s middle coast in the 20th Century. It was classified as a Category 5. High winds, tornados, and flooding all had severe consequences for the area. From this site , tell me a Texas weather station that reported rainfall in excess of 14 ½” during the hurricane.

4. Beulah Bondi was a character actor who had a long career. She is probably best remembered as Mrs. Bailey, the mother of George Bailey, in It’s a Wonderful Life . Her filmography is long but there are a remarkable number of roles in which she never was given a first name. Other than Mrs. Bailey, give me another role and picture in the years 1939-1949 in which she did not have a first name but does have a surname.

5. Finally, pay a visit to Ralph and Beulah’s On-Line Cuisine for the Adventurous. Tell me one of the pizza toppings that you can choose for that extra special pizza. (Warning: When they say Adventurous, that is exactly what they mean.)

This round will close noonish (FT time) on Wednesday, July 16. Have a great weekend and don’t eat all that pizza without inviting the rest of us to join you.

Edited by maninmidohio (Fri Jul 11 2008 07:35 AM)

#427956 - Fri Jul 11 2008 09:58 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 7 - Monday
"Trivial Pursuit V"
Eight entirely impressive participants this time

1. OK. So I'd like to know one of the judges for Synchronized Swimming at the 2004 Summer Olympics ~ either in Technical Merit OR Artistic Impression.

For 10 Points:
Simonetta Antonaroli (Italy), Christiane Brenner (Australia), Hortensia Graupers (Spain), Ana Maria Lobo (Brazil), Marina Roschina (Russia), Sista Salera (Switzerland)
For 5 Points:
Carol Tackett (USA) (2)

Quite a few more of these, including Inger Lindholm (Sweden), Harue Ichihashi (Japan), Jenny Gray (Great Britain), Svetlana Saidova (Ukraine) and Ivona Kralikova (Czechoslovakia).

2. Pete's book "Dishwasher: One Man's Quest to Wash Dishes in All Fifty States" looks very fun. On its back cover Mr. Jordan wrote a blurb. Have a look at it (it starts "For twelve years...") and tell me ANY word in that 2-sentence paragraph that ends in the letter D, I, S or H! Thank you!

For 10 Points:
And, Dishes, Island, Was
For 5 Points:
Ladies' (4)

Someone likened him to the Jack Kerouac of dishwashing in some review I read ! Pretty high praise, eh? The other answers, though, were: Years, I, Dished, Around, Missouri, Washed -and- Nation's.

3. This time, I'd like to know a guest appearing on Rosie O'Donnell's talk show (individual or musical group ... but no individuals in said musical group ) on today's date, JULY 7, in any year of the show's run. Note: repeated episodes/guests count, if they aired on July 7.

For 10 Points:
The Brand New Heavies (acid jazz/funk band), Rob Estes (actor), Sarah Ferguson (Duchess and 'Weight Watchers' spokesperson), Andy Holmes (kid cartoonist), Jon Secada (singer)
For 5 Points:
Jada Pinkett Smith (actress and spouse of actor Will Smith) (3)

Just a few others ~ Tim Robbins (actor), Regis Philbin (talk show host), Treat Williams (actor), Lucy Liu (actress) and Ricki Lake (actress/talk show host).

4. Take a moment and tell us an item on the Tibet menu at 'Everest Restaurant' (NO side dishes/drinks, please) ...

For 10 Points:
Everest House Noodles (Pan-fried noodles with a choice of diced chicken or beef or seasonal vegetables), Everest Platter - Regular or Vegetarian (Mix of Tibetan and Indian menu, including a portion of Tibetan momos (beef or vegetable steam dumplings), Indian curry [chicken or vegetarian] and noodles), Tsel-Momo (Steamed and lightly grilled vegetable dumplings filled with spiced potatoes & peas)
For 5 Points:
Shapta (Specially marinated & sauteed strips of beef steak, pan fried with bell peppers, ginger and hot sauce) (2), Shogok Khatsa (A light and spicy dish of curried potato chunks pan fried with onions) (3)

Thupka (Noodle soup with sliced beef steak or chicken breast), Sha-Momo (Juicy, steamed and lightly grilled dumplings filled with beef and spinach), Mixed Sha & Tsel Momo, Khatsa (Chilli) Chicken (Strips of chicken breast with sauteed peppers and green chillies in a spicy sauce), Phingshia (Beef or chicken, sauteed with bean thread noodles, sliced potatoes, green peas & dried mushroom), Tsel Tofu (Sautéed bean curd, green peas, spinach, bell peppers, green onion, mushrooms & garlic in a light soya sauce), Sha-Ngoptsey (Stir-fried mix of chicken or beef with seasonal vegetables) and "Free Tibet" Platter (Popular Tibetan momos "completely surrounded" by Chinese chow mein) made up the rest of the menu.

5. All I'm looking for this time is the name of any song from the musical "The Color Purple" - but limit your choice to a tune that the character Celie is a named singer of, either solo or with other(s).

For 10 Points:
"Big Dog", "Brown Betty", "Huckelberry Pie", "Miss Celie's Pants", "Shug Avery Comin' to Town", "Somebody Gonna Love You"
For 5 Points:
"The Color Purple" (2)

Yep . Pretty much hated this question, as things shook down. Evidently, in the original version of the show Celie sang in just a handful of tunes. However, it appears that as the show morphed / developed, Miss Celie sang in next to everything - I was surprised she didn't do her own spin on "God Bless America" in there somewhere! The other songs she did in the original, though, were "Our Prayer", "What About Love?", "African Homeland" and "I'm Here".

The Results!

50 Points! .... nakarinna (V-e-r-y nicely done, indeed !)
45 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, srini701, szabs
35 Points! .... deputygary, maninmidohio, Mugaboo
30 Points! .... denni19

Very well played, everyone! *Congratulations!* and a scoreboard point to nakarinna this time.

#427957 - Fri Jul 11 2008 11:48 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Hi all, July 8 round will be closing in just over 23 hours. Also if anyone is having problem accessing the Wrigley's product page for Q4 (it's been down for me all morning), PM me and I will send you the list of products. Thanks.

#427958 - Sat Jul 12 2008 02:56 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 12 - - Saturday 12th July

1. The Glen Moray whisky distillery is going to be sold. This is one of two distilleries that can be found within my home town's city limits (The other being Linkwood). It is currently owned by the same parent company (LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton) who owns Zenith Watches. Please tell me the name of one of Zenith's novelty watches.

2. This weekend, both RAF air bases in Moray, will be parading their colours infront of the Queen at the Royal International Air Show. Please give me the name of a national Air Force that should be participating (today's show's been cancelled) in the Fairford Tattoo in 2008. (Not Navel or Army units).

3. Last week work was started on the first onshore oil rig in Scotland. The rig at Lybster in Caithness, is not directly underneath. They will drill down 6 or 7 hundred feet, before curving round, and heading out to sea for two miles before it will hit oil. Please name a Scottish oil field, where the oil platform was built by Highlands Fabricators (now BARMAC)

4. Yesterday, I finally went to see a local tourist attraction for the first time. It was the Elgin Biblical Garden, that grows all 110 plants mentioned in the Bible. Please give me the name of any plant in the Bible beginning with the letter "B".

5. Last Saturday, I spent the afternoon at the Forres Highland Games. Just a few hundred meters to the east, were the grounds of Drumduan, where died the oldest ever test cricketer Francis MacKinnon died in 1947 (Although the place has now gone, and has been replaced by a housing estate). MacKinnon was an Englishman, not a Scot, even though he was the 35th clan chief the the MacKinnons. MacKinnon apart, Please give the name of any of the top eleven longest lived test cricketers (Living and deceased).

Round will close noon (FT time) Thursday. I will be available if anyone needs help.

#427959 - Sun Jul 13 2008 12:22 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 8 is now closed.

#427960 - Sun Jul 13 2008 09:20 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 9 - Wednesday
"Trivial Pursuit VI"
Eight always-engaging and ever-excellent participants !

1. To get us going, please tell me a song that appears on the recording of the soundtrack for the movie Down and Out in Beverly Hills.

For 10 Points:
"California Girls" (The Beach Boys), "I Love L.A." (Randy Newman), Wave Hands Like Clouds (Andy Summers)
For 5 Points:
"Great Gosh A'mighty! (It's A Matter Of Time)" (Little Richard) (3 - answered in various ways , but all being the same song), "Search For Kerouac" (Andy Summers) (2)

The others to pick from were "El Tecaliteco" (Mariachi Vargas De Tecalitlan), "Tutti Frutti" (Little Richard), "Down And Out In Beverly Hills" Theme (Andy Summers), "Nouvelle Cuisine" (Andy Summers), "The Mission Blues" (Andy Summers) and "Jerry's Suicide Attempt" (Andy Summers).

2. Take a moment and tell me an episode title of "Never Mind The Quality, Feel The Width" that had its first airing in 1968 or 1969.

For 10 Points:
Arrividerci Roma
For 5 Points:
And A Brother A Priest (2); Old Soldiers Never Die (2); Situations Vacant - Apply Saville Row (3)

'And Leave The Rest Of The World Behind'; 'A Suit Fit For A Prince'; 'Hello Mother, Hello Father'; 'I'm Dreaming Of A Kosher Christmas'; 'David Kossoff? He's A Friend Of Mine' and 'It's The Thought That Counts' round out the other episodes.

3. Back to the [unfortunate] rivers, though -- I'd like to know a river in Poland that is longer than 250km. Note: that'd be the length of the river WITHIN Poland, NOT the length of the river overall, as it might or might not stretch through other counries...

For 10 Points:
Bóbr (270 km), Narew (448 km), Notec (388 km), Vistula (1047 km), Western Bug (587 km)
For 5 Points:
San (443 km) (3)

Four more: Oder (742 km), Warta (808 km), Pilica (319 km) and Wieprz (303 km).

4. This time, please tell me a person honored in the Museum of the Gulf Coast (Music Legends, Sports Legends or Notable People) whose surname begins with *J*. Janis Joplin won't count, OK?

For 10 Points:
Jimmy Johnson (Football Coach), L.Q. Jones (actor/director),
For 5 Points:
Velma M. Jeter (Civil Rights Leader/Educator) (2), Dr. Daniel "Stormy" Johnson (Radiologist) (2), Paul Jorgensen (Boxer) (2)

No one picked Harry Haag James, George Jones, Barbara Jacket, Luke Jackson or Stephen Jesse Jackson.

5. Please have a look at the tale (and I hope you have time to read the entire thing) and tell me a sentence in the first or last paragraph of it.

For 10 Points:
Everybody !
From near, the house was strong and sturdy, with a few aged cracks to mark its distinguished position; He had even slept peacefully himself, until now; He hadn't heard any screams at all; He lived in a great old house perched on the top of a hill; He then realised as he looked at the empty bed, that he was now in the house with only the memories of his son, the memories of his wife, and the memories of someone they had lost; The little boy could look out from any window, and the view was always enchanting; Lush green trees all year round, reflections upon water both still and moving, and gently beckoning hills cascading into the distance. Once upon a time there was a little boy; When the father awoke in the early hours after sunrise, he went to check on his son, as always.

HERE'S the full text of the story, for those who'd like to have a(nother) look.

The Results!

40 Points! .... denni19, Mugaboo, nakarinna, srini701
35 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, maninmidohio, szabs
30 Points! .... deputygary

And there you have it for today! Congratulations to our scoreboard toppers denni19, Mugaboo, nakarinna and srini701 . Thanks for playing, everyone!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Sun Jul 13 2008 09:22 AM)

#427961 - Sun Jul 13 2008 05:45 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

July 8 Round - Answers
Thank you to the 6wonderful’ players who took part.

1) Please give me an episode title from “Friends” Season 8 that has exactly five words in it.
For Ten Points: The One With (“TOW”) the Videotape, TOW Monica’s Boots, The One After I Do, TOW Rachel’s Date
For Five Points: TOW the Stain (2)
Not mentioned: 4 more to choose from The One Where Rachel Tells, TOW the Stripper, TOW the Rumor, TOW Joey’s Interview

2) From this page, please give me any one of the flavors available for “Breath Palette” toothpaste.
For Ten Points: Strawberry, White Peach, Lavender, Cinnamon, Pumpkin Pudding, Fresh Yogurt
10 points everyone!
Not mentioned: 10 more flavors Sweet Salt, Tropical Pineapple, Rose, Kiwi Fruit, Fuji Apple, Vanilla, California Orange, Lemon Tea, Bitter Chocolate, Grapefruit

3) Please give me the name of any one of the ten highest of the “Eight-thousanders”.
For Ten Points: Annapurna, K2, Everest, Makalu
For Five Points: Nanga Parbat (2)
Not mentioned: Kanchenjunga, Lhotse, Cho Oyu, Dhaulagiri, Manaslu

4) From The Wrigley Company’s website, please give me the brand name of a product, other than “Eclipse”, that is marketed by them.
For Ten Points: Orbit, Juicy Fruit, Hubba Bubba, Life Savers
For Five Points: Spearmint (2)
Not mentioned: 10 more brand names Doublemint, Big Red, Winterfresh, Extra, Freedent, Orbit White, Big League Chew, Altoids, Crème Savers, Airwaves

5) From this site, please name any fruit, other than grapes, that is mentioned in the section under Fruit Brandy.
For Ten Points: Cherry, Pear
For Five Points: Apple (2), Plum (2)
Not mentioned: 7 more fruits mentioned Peach, Elderberry, Raspberry, Blackberry, Apricot, Mulberry, Quince

RESULTS!

Top Place:
45 points: Deputygary, Gatsby & Szabs Nice work!

Other results:
40 points: Mugaboo & Nakarinna
35 points: Maninmidohio

Wishing everyone a pleasant day ahead.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002