Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#427962 - Mon Jul 14 2008 11:45 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 10 will be closing in a little less than 24 hours...

#427963 - Tue Jul 15 2008 02:13 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Monday July 14 – quiz

Today’s quiz title is “From the news” .
I scoured various online news sites with all diligence to find the following tidbits. No hard news, just little bits of light-ish stuff. Actually all I did was lean back on my chair and clicked the mouse a few times. All links are provided so just do what I did, sit back and click.

1) A fruit containing six times more Vitamin C than an orange? From here, please give me any of the points that can be found in a boxed section about two-thirds down the article, entitled “The (fruit name), in a nutshell”. Seven points to choose from. Or give me the genus of the tree that produces the fruit.

2) A man and his cats. From here, please give me any name (must have a first and last name), excluding name of the writer, that appears in the article “I am a man who loves cats”. Good reading.

3) It’s summer and the long-awaited vacation is here at last, but worried about your garden while you’re away? From here, please give me any of the “Ten things you need to do for your plants when you go on holiday”. Feel free to condense or quote the first ten or so words.

4) The age old question for parents: Boys or girls, who is more difficult to raise? No kids so I can’t even attempt to answer this. From here, please give me any sentence that appears in either the third, fourth or fifth paragraph.

5) With rising costs of living, it’s a great feeling if money can be saved while grocery shopping. From here, please give any of the “8 great ways to save money at the grocery”.

That is it. This round will close on Friday 18 July at midnight FT time.

#427964 - Tue Jul 15 2008 06:12 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
ROUND 15 - Tuesday

Some of you know that my latest hobby is cardmaking, which is one of the many paper crafts available.
Today's theme is "Arts & Crafts".

1) The first commercial Christmas cards were commissioned by Sir Henry Cole in London, 1843, and featured an illustration by John Callcott Horsley.
From HERE pick one of John Callcott Horsley's paintings.

2) Another type of Arts&Crafts is Corn Dollies. They are a form of straw work generally made for, and associated with, harvest customs of Europe.
Please visit Maddy's Corn Dollies and give me the name of an item featured in ANY of the three Picture Galleries available on the site.

3) Rug making is an ancient craft that covers many techniques. Rugs can be braided, prodded, woven, hooked or made from rags. Among the most famous 'brands' of carpets we have the Gabbeh/Gabbe. A gabbe is a triple hand-knotted carpet crafted almost exclusively by women from Qashqai, a tribe in southwestern Iran.
Let's leave the crafts and switch to arts ...
Please go to the QASHQAI.NET website and look for the Poetry page and pick a title from the twelve Qazals (by Mazun) listed in there.

4) Artist Trading Cards (ATCs) are individual art miniature cards which pass hand to hand. They are never sold only traded or given as gifts and the only rule for these cards is their 2.5 by 3.5 inch size (64 x 89 mm) [same as baseball cards and collectible card games]. The sky is the limit for every other aspect of the art.
Have a look at this ATCs Gallery and give me the name of a person in the "Face ATCs" set --> the first 9 images featured in the collection

5) The art of creating patterns or pictures with small pieces of colored glass, stone, clear glass or fragments of pottery (known as tesserae), is called Mosaic. From ancient times, mosaics were used for decorating floors, ceilings, walls, pieces of furniture, urns or other objects.
At Inspired Mosaics we are given some precious Mosaic Information including a "List of suppliers". Please come up with any entry on that list.

As usual, this Round will be closed on Saturday at noon - FT time.
Have a great week ahead everybody!

#427965 - Tue Jul 15 2008 11:24 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 11 will close in a little less than 24 hours. There is plenty of time to get your entry in. What do you want as your pizza topping?

#427966 - Tue Jul 15 2008 12:06 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 10 Results

7 players entered this round…

1. Please name another World Heritage Site located in France that was established between 1980-1989.

For 10 points: Royal Saltworks of Arc-et-Senans; Place Stanislas, Place de la Carrière, and Place d'Alliance in Nancy; Gulf of Porto - Calanche of Piana, Gulf of Girolata, Scandola Reserve (Corsica)

For 5 points: Palace and Park of Fontainebleau (2); Pont du Gard, Roman Aqueduct (2)

Not mentioned: Abbey Church of Saint-Savin-sur-Gartempe; Amiens Cathedral; Cistercian Abbey of Fontenay; Roman Theatre & Surroundings and the "Triumphal Arch" of Orange; Strasboug - Grande Île

2. Please choose one of the NSA's 2008 Research Priorities (under the 'Research' tab on the home page). I’ve summarized these for the sake of brevity…

For 10 points: Develop fungicide testing protocol for rust control; Blackbirds; Controlling insects; Double cropping sunflower after winter wheat; Sunflower maggot biology; Irrigation timing; Innovative weed control techniques

For 5 points: none

Not mentioned: Desiccation to achieve earlier harvest; Planting precision; Rotation studies, and others

3. Please pick an either an Academy Award or a Golden Globe that In the Bedroom was nominated for or won.

For 10 points: Oscar - Best Actress in a Supporting Role - Marisa Tomei; Oscar - Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published - Todd Field, Robert Festinger; Oscar - Best Actress in a Leading Role - Sissy Spacek

For 5 points: Golden Globe - Best Motion Picture – Drama (2); Golden Globe - Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture - Marisa Tomei (2)

Not mentioned: Oscar - Best Actor in a Leading Role - Tom Wilkinson; Oscar - Best Picture - Graham Leader, Ross Katz, Todd Field; Golden Globe - Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama - Sissy Spacek * WON *

4. In that vein, please head over to St. Louis Magazine's A-List/08 section and tell me a winner within the 'Culture' category.

For 10 points: Duck Room (Rock Venue - Smaller); Rough Shop (Established Musical Act); Matthias Waschek (Curator/Director); The Pageant (Rock Venue - Bigger); Bruno David (Gallery: Local Artists)

For 5 points: Earthworms (Emerging Musical Act) – (2)

Not mentioned: Cameron Fuller (Emerging Artist); Jazz at the Bistro (Jazz Club); White Flag Projects (Gallery: National Artists), and others

5. Please select another artist classified under the heading 'Painting of the Late XIX - Early XX Centuries’ at the Pushkin Museum.

For 10 points: Paul Cezanne, Wassily Kandinsky, Pierre Renoir

For 5 points: Pablo Picasso (2), Paul Gauguin (2)

Not Mentioned: Claude Monet, Edgar Degas, Henri Matisse

Scores:

With 50 points: brandz_mygirl
With 45 points: szabs
With 40 points: srini701, Mugaboo
With 35 points: deputygary, maninmidohio, Gatsby722

Congratulations to brandz_mygirl for getting a perfect score and winning one July trivia point!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#427967 - Wed Jul 16 2008 02:05 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 16 July
Q1 Give me a character – not the actor/actress who played them – in Dad’s Army the comedy series
Q2 A chocolate BAR (Not a selection box like Cadbury’s Roses) produced by Cadburys.
Q3 A colour of the rainbow
Q4 A letter situated on the bottom row of a Standard English typewriter/computer. Letters only, no other characters!
Q5 A month of the year
This round closes over the weekend

#427968 - Wed Jul 16 2008 11:50 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 11 – Beulah

We had eight wonderful participants for this round who seemed quite determined to match each other with their choices.

1. Tell me the name of one of the band members of Beulah or a record label that issued records for the band.

For 10 Points – Band member Miles Kurosky and record label Velocette

For 5 Points – Band members Eli Crews (2) and Pat Abernathy (2), as well as record label Elephant Six (2)

Not Chosen – Band members Bill Swan, Pat Noel, Steve La Follette, Steve St. Cin, Danny Sullivan, and Bill Evans, as well as record label Sugar Free

2. Tell me one of the 2008 Stakes races that has been held or will be held at Beulah Park.

For 10 Points – Royal North Stakes, Alyssa Handicap, Scarlet & Gray Handicap, and Glacial Princess

For 5 Points - Ruff/Kirchberg Memorial (2) and Samuel Handicap (2)

Not Chosen - Howard B. Noonan Stakes, Babst/Palacios Memorial Handicap, Ohio Freshman, and Bobbie Bricker Memorial Handicap

3. For 10 Points - From this site , tell me a Texas weather station that reported rainfall in excess of 14 ½” during the Hurricane Beulah.

For 10 Points – Alice, Tynian, Whitsett, San Diego, Austwell, and Calallen

For 5 Points – Falfurrias (2)

Not Chosen - Aransas Pass, Pettus, Mathis, Three Rivers, and King Ranch Gas Plant

4. Other than Mrs. Bailey, give me another role and picture in the years 1939-1949 in which Beulah Bondi did not have a first name but does have a surname.

For 10 Points – Miss Oliver (Penny Serenade) and Granny Tucker (The Southerner)

For 5 Points – Miss Thornton (The Under-Pup) (4) and Mrs. Greer (The Snake Pit) (2)

Not Chosen – Ma Smith (Mr. Smith Goes to Washington), Mrs. Sargent (Remember the Night), Mme. Bonard (Tonight We Raid Calais), Miss Horn (Our Hearts Were Young and Gay), Grandma Kincaid (So Dear to My Heart), Mrs. Hangale (Mr. Soft Touch), and Grandma Blanchard (Reign of Terror)

5. Finally, pay a visit to Ralph and Beulah’s On-Line Cuisine for the Adventurous and tell me one of the pizza toppings that you can choose for that extra special pizza.

For 10 Points – magazine clippings (your choice of glossy or newspaper print), goat hair, banana slices, frog or squid eyes, liver rosettes, and grapefruit wedges

For 5 Points – pork cysts (2)

Not Chosen – sawdust, sand-paper strips, concord grape seeds, Brussels sprouts, cockroach egg cases, and toe dirt

The results :

With 40 points: denni, Mugaboo, szabs, Gatsby, and nakarinna
With 35 points: deputygary and brandys_mygirl
With 30 points: srini

So with a fantastic 5 way tie, we have one July trivia point going to each of denni, Mugaboo, szabs, Gatsby, and nakarinna. Well done all.

#427969 - Thu Jul 17 2008 11:09 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 12 - 8 played

1. Please tell me the name of one of Zenith's novelty watches.
For 10 points: Class; Defy Classic 2008; Port-Royal
For 5 points: Academy [2]; Defy Xtreme 2008 [3]
Not mentioned: Baby Doll; Chronomaster 2008; Queen of Love; Star Rock; Starissime

2. Please give me the name of a national Air Force that should have participated in the Fairford Tattoo in 2008
For 10 points: Brazilian Air Force; Hungarian Air Force; Irish Air Corps; Portuguese Air Force; Royal Air Force; Royal Jordanian Air Force; Royal Netherlands Air Force; Swiss Air Force
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned include: Chilean Air Force; Indian Air Force; Royal Air Force of Oman; US Air Forces Europe

3. Please name a Scottish oil field, where the oil platform was built by Highlands Fabricators (now BARMAC)
For 10 points: Alba; Andrew; N Everest; SE Forties; Magnus
For 5 points: Miller [3]
Not mentioned include: Arbroath; Fulmar ‘A’; Lomond; Ninian North

4. Please give me the name of any plant in the Bible beginning with the letter "B".
For 10 points: Balm; Beans; Bolled; Box-tree; Broom
For 5 points: Bulrush [3]
Not mentioned: Barley; Bay tree; Bdellium; Bramble; Brier; Bush

5. MacKinnon apart, Please give the name of any of the top eleven longest lived test cricketers
For 10 points: Bill Brown; M. J. Gopalan; Jack Newman; Wilfred Rhodes; Eric Tindill; Lindsay Weir
For 5 points: Jack Kerr [2]
Not mentioned: Sydney Barnes; Don Cleverley; Norman Gordon

Scores:
50 points: Gatsby722
45 points: Brandz_mygirl; Maninmidohio; Nakarinna
40 points: Denni19; Srini701
35 points: Deputygary; Szabs

Great play by all our participants, most notably by Gatsby, who snatches the winners point with his perfect 50.

#427970 - Thu Jul 17 2008 04:45 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 17 - Thursday

1. Aa is one of three basic types of flow lava. It is basaltic lava characterized by a rough or rubbly surface composed of broken lava blocks called clinker. There are plenty of active volcanos around the world and several eruptions a year. Please visit the Global Volcanism Program website and select a volcano that erupted in 2007.

2. EE is a common way to refer to electrical engineering (or engineers). Electrical engineering is a field of engineering that deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics and electromagnetism. That definition, and the field itself, is very broad; for that reason there are a lot of sub-specialties within EE. Please visit the University of Arkansas' Department of Electrical Engineering page and give me one of their specialty areas in electrical engineering listed on the bottom of the front page.

3. John Papa Ii was a nineteenth century Hawaiian politician and historian from Oahu. Ii helped draft the 1852 Hawaiian Constitution, one of a series of constitutions the gradually shifted power away from the monarch and to an elected legislature. The 1840 constitution that was replaced created the positions of governor over the islands. Please choose a person who served as Governor of Oahu in the Hawaiian Kingdom.

4. O-o's are a genus of extinct birds that originated from Australian honeyeaters that are thought to have been driven to Hawaii by tropical storms. Both the Hawaiian o-o and the Kauai o-o (of the family Meliphagidae) are listed as extinct on the Naturalis National Natural History Museum Foundation website. Please visit Naturalis and give me the common name of an extinct bird that is listed as the sole representative of its family (i.e. Family Psittacidae would be ineligible as there are several extinct parakeets/parrots/macaws listed).

5. The letter combination 'uu' is found very rarely within the English language. Much of the time these 'uu' words derive from Latin roots. Please tell me a word within the English language with this unusual letter combination.

This round will close Tuesday July 22 at noon FT time. Please PM me with any questions. Good luck!

#427971 - Fri Jul 18 2008 12:53 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 18
Did you know that the developers and or inventors of the atomic bomb; the holograph, Model T, BASIC and computer programming, the California wine industry, noiseless matches, color televisions, full-length motion pictures, the carburettor, the Zeppelin, the automatic gearbox, Intel Corporation are all people who where either born in Hungary or are of Hungarian descent? So therefore I thought I would dedicate this round to them, I also must confess that although I am not famous in any way, I too am of Hungarian descent.

1. István Szabó is one of the best-known and most critically acclaimed Hungarian film directors of the past few decades. In the 1960s and '70s, he directed auteur films in Hungarian, which explore his own generation's experiences. His signature film trilogy Mephisto was a winner of an Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film and a Cannes Award for the Best Screenplay. Could you please tell me a film that has been directed by Istvan Szabo.

2. Magda, Zsa Zsa and Eva known as the Gabor sisters are three famous Hungarian actresses, The Gabors were born in Budapest, Hungary to Vilmos and Jolie Gabor. The family moved to New York in the wake of World War II. Magda had played a small role in a Hungarian film before the war, so Jolie and her three daughters decided to move to Hollywood to break into the movie business. Eva became a household name when she starred as Lisa Douglas, in the long-running TV show Green Acres, which ran from 1965–1971. Their claim to fame, perhaps beyond their acting careers, is that of serial matrimony: They have been married six, eight, and five times, respectively. Would you be so kind and give me the name of one of the fortunate husbands of any of the 3 sisters.

3. Béla Viktor János Bartók was a Hungarian composer and pianist, considered to be one of the greatest composers of the 20th century. His music was invigorated by the themes and rhythmic patterns of the Hungarian and other folk music traditions, which he synthesized with influences from his contemporaries into his own distinctive style and he was one of the founders of ethnomusicology. Bartok lived in the skirts of the forests-hills of Buda. The composer, who could not stand the clamour of the metropolis, the din of machines and engines and the inquisitive and prying nature of people, found an ideal home in the district rich in fragrant fresh air and tranquillity only broken by the twittering of birds. The house now is a museum, that attentively guards Bartók's personal belongings and regularly evokes his spirit through his music. At the museum site , please go to the Concerts page and give me the name of a concert performed at the house (20 to choose from)

4. László József Bíró born in Budapest in 1899. Is mainly known for the biro ball pen, while working as a journalist, he noticed that the ink used in newspaper printing dried quickly, he tried using the same ink in a fountain pen but found that it would not flow into the tip, as it was too viscous. Working with his brother Georg, they developed a new tip consisting of a ball that was free to turn in a socket, and as it turned it would pick up ink from a cartridge and then roll to deposit it on the paper. Bíró patented the invention in Paris in 1938. In 1943 the brothers moved to Argentina, where they would end their days. Although less know the automatic gearbox was also first invented by him, he bought a red Bugatti car one day, but found the clutch mechanism too clumsy and began to muse about an automatic solution. After one year of experiments, he made and patented his "automatic gear-box". For its mass production Bíró did not have enough capital and decided to sell the patent. In 1950 Marcel Bich bought from Bíró the patent for the pen, which soon became the main product of his Bic company. From this site
please give me the name of a Bic Clic Stic Pen, (There are 10 to choose from– be specific)

5. Seeing that Hungary is a country which only has about 20 million people, it’s quite amazing how many well known people are/ where living outside of Hungary, who where either born in Hungary or are of Hungarian descent. From this page , please give me the name of a famous Hungarian and their claim to fame. I am sure that you will be surprised at some of the names you see on the list.

This round will finish on Wednesday 23rd of July late afternoon FT time. If you have any trouble let me know, otherwise wherever you are enjoy your weekend .

#427972 - Fri Jul 18 2008 11:41 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 14 was originally supposed to close on Friday midnight FT time, that is in 12 hours' time. But as of now, I've only got 5 sets of answers. Answers may just be slow in coming in (I'm guilty of sending in answers really close to their deadlines). Anyway I've decided to extend the close by a day. Round 14 will therefore be closed on Saturday midnight FT time. Hopefully, there'll be one or two more players.

#427973 - Sat Jul 19 2008 12:03 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Round 15 is now closed and I'll start working on the results. Will post them early tomorrow .

Thank you to all who sent their answers for my round.

#427974 - Sat Jul 19 2008 11:01 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 14 is now closed. Results shortly.

#427975 - Sun Jul 20 2008 12:22 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

July 14 Round - Answers
Thank you to all 7 who played.

1) From here, please give me any of the points that can be found in a boxed section about two-thirds down the article, entitled “The baobab, in a nutshell”. Seven points to choose from. Or give me the genus of the tree that produces the fruit.
For Ten Points: Adansonia (genus)
For Five Points: Most live for 500 years although some survive for up to 2,000 years. (2) Many baobabs are hollow and have been used as shops, barns, bus shelters and even prisons. (2) The tree’s flowers are said to be haunted by spirits which can protect against crocodiles. (2)
Not mentioned: 4 more The baobab is known as the upside-down tree because of its root-like branches. According to African folklore, the original baobab bragged about its beauty so was turned upside down by the gods as a punishment. Its trunk can grow up to 50ft in circumference and 98ft high. The baobab is 80 per cent water and can store more than 26,000 gallons for periods of drought.

2) From here, please give me any name (must have a first and last name), excluding name of the writer, that appears in the article “I am a man who loves cats”.
For Ten Points: Winston Churchill, Ernest Hemingway, Bill Clinton, Celia Hammond, Louis Wain
For Five Points: Ricky Gervais (2)
Not mentioned: 4 more names Mariah Carey, Edgar Allen Poe, Anthony Head, Russell Brand

3) From here, please give me any of the “Ten things you need to do for your plants when you go on holiday”.
For Ten Points:
- Move containerised plants, including house plants, into the shade.
- Persuade a friend or neighbour to pick flowers and produce while you’re away so that it doesn’t go to waste.
For Five Points:
- If you are feeling rich, invest in Fito Irri-Go Classico Holiday Watering Gel which gradually releases water into the soil or, for heavy feeders, Irri-Go Plus which feeds and waters for a week. (2)
- However, blackmail may never be enough. Leave strategically buckets, watering cans, hoses and even a hoe or two as a gentle reminder that a garden needs tending. (3)
Not mentioned: Having offered this generous gift, blackmail said friend or neighbour into doing the watering. To make sense this point follows on from letting friend or neighbour pick stuff from your garden to avoid waste. Buy irrigations mats, control valves to convert drinking water bottles into mini-irrigation systems and mini low-cost automatic watering systems from your local or online garden centre. Add a thick layer of mulch to containers and to vulnerable plants – after they have been well watered. Harvest as many flowers and crops as you can in the week before you leave. Open all ventilation in the greenhouse. Add ‘automatic watering system’ plus ‘underground rainwater storage system’ to your birthday or Christmas list and have them installed over winter.

4) From here, please give me any sentence that appears in either the third, fourth or fifth paragraph.
For Ten Points: “I think parents use ‘which is harder?’ as an expression of whatever our frustration is at the moment,” says family therapist Michael Gurian, author of “Nurture the Nature”. Environment (including us, the nurturers) plays a role, too: “There are differences in how we handle boys and girls right from birth,” says David Stein, Ph.D., a professor of psychology at Virginia State University in Petersburg. “We tend to talk more softly to girls and throw boys in the air.” Leonard Sax, M.D., author of “Boys Adrift”, believes parents raise girls and boys differently because girls and boys are so different from birth – their brains aren’t wired the same way. But it’s also true that each gender’s brain, and growth, unfolds at a different rate, influencing behavior.
For Five Points: “Boys and girls are each harder in different ways.” (2)
Not mentioned: 3 more sentences, not going to copy them here. These are short ones too, looks like all the long sentences have been quoted above.

5) From here, please give any of the “8 great ways to save money at the grocery”.
For Ten Points: Check out the frozen fruits and vegetables, especially those not in season, Lempert says. Shop for store brands instead of name-brand products on everything from canned goods to cereals. Be wary of the prices of convenience packages or 100-calorie packs.
For Five Points: Always shop with a list, he says. (2) Consider buying frozen seafood such as tilapia, flounder, salmon and shrimp.(2)
Not mentioned: Pay attention at the checkout to make sure the prices and discounts from coupons and frequent-shopper programs register correctly. Put your kids in charge of clipping coupons and then give them a percentage of the savings as their allowance. Go with a buddy to warehouse food clubs and divide up the great deals.
I’ve only included the first sentence of each money-saving point above. You can get the full details on the website.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
50 points: Nakarinna Very good results in a close game!

Other results:
35 points: Srini, Deputygary, Gatsby, Mugaboo, Denni
30 points: Szabs

Good day wishes to all.

#427976 - Sun Jul 20 2008 07:53 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

ROUND 15 - Arts & Crafts

1) From HERE pick one of John Callcott Horsley's paintings.

10 points: Mary Queen of Scots in Captivity; The Truant in Hiding; The Banker’s Private Room, Negotiating a Loan; Pay for Peeping; Youth and Age

5 points: A Model for Alfred’s Navy [3]

Not mentioned: The Reading Lesson; The World Forgetting - Sunday Afternoon in; The New Dress; A Madrigal

2) Please visit Maddy's Corn Dollies and give me the name of an item featured in ANY of the three Picture Galleries available on the site.

10 points: Horseshoe, Harvest Mother, House Blessing

5 points: Harvest Sprite [3], Rattle for Child or Rituals [2]

Not mentioned: Sun Spray, Welsh Harp, Small Ankh, Eye of the Moon, Treble Clef and one or two more

3) Please go to the QASHQAI.NET website and look for the Poetry page and pick a title from the twelve Qazals (by Mazun) listed in there.

10 points: Beloved’s Manifestation; Who is Here? Who is There?; What Is, Is In Love; Insanity’s Home

5 points: Existed [2], I Don’t Know What I Am [2]

Not mentioned: A Blessed Night, My Pain, Love's Religion, Each Person Has a Different Path To The Friend's Neighborhood, Why, Do You Remember?

4) Have a look at this ATCs Gallery and give me the name of a person in the "Face ATCs" set --> the first 9 images featured in the collection

10 points: Xikrin, Huli, Nihon

5 points: Kayapo [3], Wodaabe [2]

Not mentioned: Mendi, Kikuyu, Chippewa

5) At Inspired Mosaics we are given some precious Mosaic Information including a "List of suppliers". Please come up with any entry on that list.

10 points: Reed Harris Riverside House

5 points: Edgar Udney & Co Ltd. [3], Jewsons Builders Merchants [2], Opiocolor Mosaics [2]

Not mentioned: Tower Ceramics Ltd, Lizzie Wells Mosaics, Lead & Light, Topps Tiles, Master Tiles and Jumble sales

The RESULTS for Round 15 are:

With 40 points: Deputygary, Mugaboo and Srini – Congratulations !

With 35 points: Brandz_mygirl and Maninmidohio

With 30 points: Nakarinna, Szabs and Gatsby

A very close game, with Deputygary, Mugaboo and Srini grabbing a July point each - Well done!

Thank you ALL for playing and for bearing with my reduced presence over this stressful period I’m going through.
You’re the best!

#427977 - Sun Jul 20 2008 12:00 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Round 16 (Wednesday) closes tomorrow

#427978 - Sun Jul 20 2008 09:31 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 21 ~ Monday

Whew. Thank heavens for endless variations of awards shows re: media. They yield any number of trivial "things". The Primetime Emmy Awards announced their nominations last week, at any rate. So I just went shopping therein ...

1. The Emmys love historical epics, massive costume dramas, casts that number in the well-chosen thousands, music with big crescendos. AND they're mighty fond of the HBO network, too, the producers of "John Adams" this year. That it received a truckload of nominations should surprise no one. Was the history swirling around the story of the second US President correct in the series, you ask? Well, not quite (it's TV, after all) ... but it was still worthy of 16 noms, including those to Paul Giamatti and Laura Linney who played John and his sturdy Abigail. To start, please tell me an episode title in HBO's "John Adams - OR, if you'd rather, one of the three fellows Emmy-nominated for Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie from the above-average production.

2. One series that got a bit of unexpected Emmy attention was the new show "Breaking Bad", a dark comedy starring former "Malcolm in the Middle" (oddball) patriarch Bryan Cranston as Walter White. He's a struggling high school chemistry teacher with a handicapped child and a pregnant wife. Already stressed, White is then diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. So he resorts to a life of crime, setting up a meth lab in order to support his family. The writing and the acting is the crucial 'thing' on shows like this, and this one works well (so far). Wikipedia mentions a blog (part of AMC's "viral marketing" campaign to promote the seies) written by the fictional Walter White. Follow the link there and share with me any single sentence from the blog entry 'The Life Cycle' (#13) from "Walt's World" ...

3. The Emmy folks decided to come up with yet another new award to hand out this year : Outstanding Host for a Reality or Reality-Competition Program. Howie Mandel is nominated for it this year, too. I can not profess even a molecule of interest in "Deal Or No Deal" - but many love the game show. Howie's a Canadian stand-up comedian and had a good dramatic run as a quirky doctor on TV's "St. Elsewhere" some years ago. He's also well-known as suffering from "germ phobias" and OCD (one'd think that a game show setting would drive the dude especially nuts, eh)? Over at Brain Physics there's a checklist for possible symptoms of Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder. Pick one listed under Obsessions about Dirt & Contamination, Obsessions with Food & Weight or Hoarding Compulsions.

4. A disturbing dramatic nominee this year is the TV film "An American Crime", courtesy of Showtime. It's a retelling of a "true story", enhanced by Catherine Keener's portrayal of sociopath Gertrude Baniszewski and her vile manipulations that finally resulted in murder in Indianapolis, Indiana c. 1965. There's next-to-every dubious thing in the grisly tale ~ all the way from circus performers, "innocent" children lured into torturing a peer, religious zealotry, sexual abuse. But the core of the ghoulish mess is this [ahem] mother, a beast who claimed to have the means to heaven while constantly (and shamelessly) opening the gates to a living Hell. Nine people were arrested for the crimes/murder at the time. Could you tell me the FIRST name of any of those nine? Note: It's been brought to my attention that more than nine people were initially arrested in regards to this crime. Ergo, there may then be more acceptable answers than the nine asked for. So sorry about the *oops* ...

5. What with the acclaimed mafia series "The Sopranos" now off the air, lots of room was there for new shows to fill in the nominations roster this year. One that was expected to get noticed (and did) was "Mad Men", set in New York City and taking place in the 1960s at the fictional Sterling Cooper advertising agency on Madison Avenue. The plots center on Don Draper (played brilliantly by nominee Jon Hamm), a high-level advertising executive, and the people in his life. It also ably addresses changing social mores of early 1960s America; it's very stylish - both smart and interesting enough to attract a wide audience. Me? I like the music in it, of course . Please have a look at "Mad Men"'s official site (as per AMC network) and tell me a song featured in episodes #8 thru #13, inclusively. Thank you!

As always, this one will close up on Friday at (or not long after) noon. Enjoy - and have a bountiful week ahead !

Edited by Gatsby722 (Mon Jul 21 2008 01:04 PM)

#427979 - Mon Jul 21 2008 05:54 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Just realized I never posted the results of Round 5! So sorry - hosted a big graduation party for #3 daughter this weekend!

Round 5 Results

1. On Friday, our Independence Day picnic ended with fireworks! From this site, choose a product from Phantom Fireworks' line of best sellers.

For 10 points - Grucci New York Harbor Show, Pyro Pulverizer, Wolf PAck Radical Recoil Shells, Phantom Missile Base 225 Shots, Emerald City, Shagadelic Mojo, American Military Candles, Wolf Pack Double Star Kit

2. Yesterday, we went to the Westmoreland Arts and Heritage Festival, which is held every year during the first weekend of July here in western Pennsylvania. Please name any of the food vendors that were there.

For 10 points - The Funnel Cake Man, The Polish Kitchen, Kramer's Crepes, Sand Hill Berries, Sherri's Fun Foods, R. Checker Concessions, Hanson's Original Kettle Korn, K Catholic Charities Diocese of Greensburg

3. There was a lot of live entertainment at the Festival. Please name any of the Special Presentations listed in the entertainment section.

For 10 points - Dan Kamin - Comedy in Motion, Time-Line Enterprises re-enactments, League of Separated Tribes, Kammerstone Llamas, Old Time Pittsburgh Pirates, 11th PA REgiment of Westmoreland County

5 points - Greenfield Farms Petting Zoo (2)

4. In the car this morning, I heard a news story about the new words in the latest edition of Webster's Collegiate Dictionary. There are over 100 of them, but you just have to give me one for your answer.

For 10 points - fanboy, telenova, pretexting, pescatarian, norovirus, tankini

5 points - kiteboarding (2)

5. Independence Day commemorates the signing of the Declaration of Independence. So please name any one of the signers of that document.

For 10 points - William Floyd, Roger Sherman, William Williams, Richard Henry Lee, Carten Braxton, William Para, Thomas Jefferson, John Hancock

Results

Lots of points this time!
With perfect scores, the winners are mininmidohio, Mugaboo, deputygary, and srini!
With a second place 45 points - Gatsby, szabs, nakarinna, and brandz_mygirl!

Thanks to everyone who played!

#427980 - Mon Jul 21 2008 06:22 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
And here I am again with Round 19! I thought I would base my round on some of the things that had to do with my daughter's party on Saturday.

1. A staple of any good western Pennsylvania gathering of family or friends is pasta with meat and sauce. We usually use rigatoni, which is a large tube shaped pasta. Please name any other type of pasta that is hollow inside.

2. I also served meatballs in sauce, for sandwiches. Please give me a name for a meatball from a country other than the USA. (Hint: check wiki for meatballs)

3. Another menu item was Italian roast beef. The recipe I used is on this page. (the first one) Name any of the ingredients.

4. A friend lent us a "Baggo" game. Ours is homemade, but from the official Baggo website, please give me any of the collegiate versions of the game you can order.

5. We also played a rather X-treme version of badminton. We're not in their class, but please give me any of the original nine member nations of the BWF. (Badminton World Federation)

This round will close on Thursday, July 24 at noon FT time.

Edited by cinnam0n (Tue Jul 22 2008 10:25 AM)

#427981 - Mon Jul 21 2008 11:52 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 17 will be closing in just over 23 hours...

#427982 - Mon Jul 21 2008 12:32 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Q1 Give me a character – not the actor/actress who played them – in Dad’s Army the comedy series
For Ten Points
Private James Fraser, A.R.P. Warden Hodges, Private Charles Godfrey, Mrs. Yeatman, Cissy Godfrey, Private Sponge, Captain George Mainwaring, Lance Corporal Jack Jones, Private Joe Walker,
For Five Points
Ten points to all!
Not mentioned
Private Pike, Sergeant Wilson and more

Q2 A chocolate BAR (Not a selection box like Cadbury’s Roses) produced by Cadburys.
For Ten Points
Cadbury’s Flake chocolate bar, Cadbury Perk, Cadbury Moro, Flake Praline, Crunchie,
For Five Points
Wispa (2), Dairy Milk (2),
Not mentioned
Fruit and Nut bar and more

Q3 A colour of the rainbow
For Ten Points
Green,
For Five Points
Yellow (2), Blue (2), Red (2), Orange, (2)
Not mentioned
Indigo and Violet

Q4 A letter situated on the bottom row of a Standard English typewriter/computer. Letters only, no other characters!
For Ten Points
Z, X, C, V,
For Five Points
N (3), M (2),
Not mentioned
B

Q5 A month of the year
For Ten Points
April, June, February,
For Five Points
October (2), January (2), December (2)
Not mentioned
March, May and more

Scores - 9 competitors
Szabs – 50
Brandz_mygirl – 45
Gatsby722 – 40
maninmidohio – 40

DeputyGary – 35
Denni19 – 35
Nakarinna - 35
Srini701 - 35

Mugaboo – 30

A close round - well done to Szabs

#427983 - Wed Jul 23 2008 12:47 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Tuesday July 22 – quiz

Today’s quiz title is science-fiction based and will be called “Scary Aliens?” . When I was little, there was a period of time that I loved looking up at the night sky and seeing the twinkling stars. Too young to understand what caused the ‘twinkles’, I would dream of travelling amongst the stars, a quick visit to each bright and ‘twinkly’ star before moving on to the next. And I never thought of aliens or scary monsters, just me, my spaceship and the beautiful stars.

1) “E.T. phone home” – a pretty much famous line from the 1982 blockbuster “E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial”. Despite being wrinkly (very), short and really strange-looking, “E.T.” became a children’s favourite after the movie was released. Remember the candy that “Elliot” (“E.T.” ’s staunchest little human friend) laid out on the floor to encourage “E.T.” to go where he needs to? The candy used in the movie has a story behind it. A well-known candy company turned down a marketing offer to tie-in with the movie, a move which has been mentioned to be a somewhat big marketing ‘boo-boo’. Instead, Hershey stepped in to accept the offer and the candy used in the movie was “Reese’s Pieces”. From Hershey’s products page, please give the name of another candy found on the “Products O-S” page.”

2) “In space no one can hear you scream” is a tagline from the movie “Alien”. One of the most unforgettable scenes in the movie is when the baby alien emerges from its warm and safe hidey-hole (I shall not go into more details). I can still remember the scene quite clearly even though I only saw the movie once. Ridley Scott directed this movie. Please name another movie that Ridley Scott directed between “Alien” and “Black Hawk Down”.

3) “Nice planet. We’ll take it.” is from the 1996 movie “Mars Attacks”. It’s been cited as a mix of a B-movie/blockbuster/black comedy/science-fiction and stars quite a long list of well-known names. Little evil Martians with a really twisted sense of humour are trying to take over planet Earth and there doesn’t seem to be anything that can stop them. From the official website of the movie, please proceed to the capital city of a famous country and give me either an anatomy feature or weapon used by “these bug-eyed fiends from beyond”.

4) “To boldly go where no man has gone before” is from the television series “Star Trek”. This is read by William Shatner as part of the opening sequence of the series, the sequence begins with the phrase “Space – the final frontier”. My favourite character from this series was of course “Mr. Spock”, a Vulcan-human hybrid. There were quite a few aliens featured in the series, Vulcans, Romulans, Klingons, Tellarites, Horta and lots more if you take all the different Star Trek TV series and movies into account. Actually, I don’t think the word ‘alien’ is used in any of the different Star Trek series, I think they use the words ‘different race’ or just ‘race’ (as in what race are you) to describe someone from a planet other than Earth. Please name an actor who starred in more than 50 episodes in the original “Star Trek” TV series.

5) I’m thinking that I have to mention “Star Wars” in any quiz about aliens. It’s chock-a-block of aliens in both the original trilogy and the latest. Star Wars is the brain-child of the great George Lucas. From here, please give me any of the “Top 10 coolest Star Wars aliens”. This list is for the original trilogy.

This round will close on Saturday 26 July at midnight FT time. Thank you for reading this and hope you’ll be able to play.

#427984 - Wed Jul 23 2008 04:16 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 23 ~ Wednesday

Nuttin' major today. Just taking the opportunity to share that I recently had a chance to watch three movies (in a row, even ) on one of those *Classic Films* networks. The one in the midlle is today's 'theme'. And one of my favorite-movies-ever-made, too!

1. Some Like It Hot, still considered one of greatest film comedies of all time, was released in 1959. The mob, cross-dressing musicians, slapstick galore, romance and [of course] Marilyn Monroe made for a legendary mix of great filmmaking, hysterical scenes and just enough impropriety to get everybody laughing (without being embarrassed while doing it). The movie won a couple of technical Academy Awards, but it earned some *large* nominations - notably Best Director and Best Actor (winning neither of those ~ and not even being nominated for Best Picture, to boot ). To begin, please tell me a person (not the movie) nominated in those two Oscar categories the same year "Some Like It Hot" was.

2. The story opens as musicians Jerry and Joe have the misfortune of witnessing what we assume is the St. Valentine's Day Massacre. Frantic to get out of town in a hurry, they learn that the only band looking for players is an all-girl one heading to Florida. What to do? Jerry becomes Daphne and Joe became Josephine. Off they (safely?) go to the southern US. But back to that pesky massacre ~ the real event happened in 1929, 'orchestrated' by Al Capone and still ranking as perhaps the most notorious gangland event in history, which left seven dead - dispatched by thugs dressed as cops. Unsavory as he was, Alphonse Gabriel Capone (1899-1947) had a LOT of siblings. Kindly tell me one of Al Capone's brothers or sisters.

3. Seeing as how the film was about, significantly, road musicians, there were several songs and/or performances of them in the story. One tune the band played was "Sweet Georgia Brown" - a ditty now firmly associated with the exhibition basketball team the Harlem Globetrotters. The original version, written in the 1920s by Maceo Pinkard and Ken Casey, paid homage to a black prostitute, however; the Globetrotters theme song is a 1949 instrumental version recorded by Brother Bones & His Shadows. The lyrics are saucy and very fun, so ... I need to know a phrase that immediately precedes the words "Sweet Georgia Brown" in the original version of the song, the words written by Ken Casey.

4. Can't talk about Some Like It Hot without a mention of 'Sugar Kane'. Legendary or not, let's say Miss Monroe was NOT a favorite on the set while shooting - in fact, she was generally despised (her problems were finally starting to get the best of her, it's said, and she held up production almost daily with being late and unprofessional ... but her performance was ultimately brilliant). Tony Curtis is quoted as saying that kissing Marilyn Monroe was like "kissing Hitler," too . Much of the Curtis/Monroe romancing in the film went on at a Florida hotel (by then, Curtis was playing both a woman AND a millionaire in the mixed-up affair). The 'real' hotel, though, was in San Diego, California ~ and still is! Please tell me one of the shops wherein you can purchase apparel or jewelry at the 'movie fan'-friendly Hotel del Coronado. NO restaurants or 'specialty shops', OK?

5. As mentioned up above, Some Like It Hot is a fine little movie that covers a lot of territory and a rainbow of *things*. This is evidenced over at IMDb, who assigned the film some 60+ Plot *Keywords* (NOT *Genres*), and could have probably come up with that many more. Simple enough this time - kindly tell me one of those Plot Keyword(s) whose first (or possibly only) word begins with the letters found in "L-I-K-E" -or- "H-O-T". And now yer done!

We'll leave this open until Sunday at noon, OK? Be good, be happy, be sensible ... and have a great remainder of the week !

#427985 - Wed Jul 23 2008 07:40 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 18 will be closing in a few hours.

#427986 - Wed Jul 23 2008 08:38 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 17 Results

8 players entered this round…

1. Please visit the Global Volcanism Program website and select a volcano that erupted in 2007.

For 10 points: Llaima, Reventador, Lopevi, Cleveland, Batu Tara, Galeras

For 5 points: Kelut (2)

Not mentioned: Krakatau, Jebel at Tair, Ol Doinyo Lengai, Etna, and others

2. Please visit the University of Arkansas' Department of Electrical Engineering page and give me one of their specialty areas in electrical engineering listed on the bottom of the front page.

For 10 points: Electronic Circuit Design, Semiconductor Devices & Integrated Circuits

For 5 points: Packaging (2), Control Systems (2), Computers & Digital Circuit Design (2)

Not mentioned: Biomedical, Communications, Electromagnetic Fields & Waves, NanoTechnology & MEMs, Pattern Recognition & Artificial Intelligence, Power

3. Please choose a person who served as Governor of Oahu in the Hawaiian Kingdom.

For 10 points: John Adams Kuakini, Mataio Kekuanaoa, Naihe Kukui

For 5 points: John Owen Dominis (3), Boki (2)

Not mentioned: Isaac Davis, Oliver Holmes, Lydia Namahana, and others

4. Please visit Naturalis and give me the common name of an extinct bird that is listed as the sole representative of its family.

For 10 points: Bonin Grosbeak, Tahiti Sandpiper, Olive Ibis, Javan Wattled Lapwing, Laughing Owl

For 5 points: Martinique Wren (3)

Not mentioned: Bush Wren, Micronesian Kingfisher, Great Auk, and others

5. Please tell me a word within the English language with this unusual letter combination.

For 10 points: Squushy, Duumvirate, Anschauung, Lituus, Duumviri, Muumuu

For 5 points: Residuum (2)

Not Mentioned: Continuum, Vacuum, and others

Scores:

With 45 points: srini701
With 40 points: maninmidohio, deputygary, Gatsby722, brandz_mygirl
With 35 points: Mugaboo, denni19, szabs

Congratulations to srini701 for winning one July trivia point!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002