Terms of Use

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#427987 - Thu Jul 24 2008 07:35 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 18 Answers
8 Wonderful people participated in this round dedicated to famous Hungarians .

1. István Szabó is one of the best-known and most critically acclaimed Hungarian film directors of the past few decades. His signature film trilogy Mephisto was a winner of an Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film and a Cannes Award for the Best Screenplay. Could you please tell me a film that has been directed by Istvan Szabo.

For 10 Points: Katzenspiel, Budapesti mesék, Álom a házról, Bizalom, Plakátragasztó, Rokonok
For 5 Points: Oberst Redl (2)
Among Others not Mentioned: Taking Sides, Meeting Venus, Várostérkép, Várostérkép and Mephisto

2. Magda, Zsa Zsa and Eva known as the Gabor sisters are three famous Hungarian actresses, The Gabors were born in Budapest, Hungary to Vilmos and Jolie Gabor. Their claim to fame, perhaps beyond their acting careers, is that of serial matrimony Would you be so kind and give me the name of one of the fortunate husbands of any of the 3 sisters.

For 10 Points: Burhan Asaf Belge, Frédéric von Anhalt, Sidney R. Warren, John Williams, Dr. Erich Drimmer, Jan de Bichovsky
For 5 Points: Frank Gard Jameson (2)
Among Others:William Rankin, Tony Gallucci, George Sanders, Conrad Hilton, Charles Isaacs

3. Béla Viktor János Bartók was a Hungarian composer and pianist, considered to be one of the greatest composers of the 20th century. Bartok lived in the skirts of the forests-hills of Buda, the house now is a museum, that attentively guards Bartók's personal belongings and regularly evokes his spirit through his music. At the museum site , please go to the Concerts page and give me the name of a concert performed at the house (20 to choose from)

For 10 Points: Masters of the Clarinet 2/2, Chamber Music Par Excellence 2/1, Grazioso Chamber Orchestra of the Hungarian National Philharmonic Orchestra.
For 5 Points: Chamber Music Par elegance 2/2 (2), Bartok’s Music Academy 2/2 (3)
Among others Medics Making Music 2/1 -2/2, Centuries of Piano Music 1/3-2/3-3/3, More than String Quartet 1/3-2/3-3/3, Centuries of Piano Music 1/3-2/3-3/3, Bela Bartok’s Birthday.

4. László József Bíró born in Budapest in 1899. Is mainly known for the biro ball pen, while working as a journalist, he noticed that the ink used in newspaper printing dried quickly, he tried using the same ink in a fountain pen but found that it would not flow into the tip, as it was too viscous. Working with his brother Georg, they developed a new tip consisting of a ball that was free to turn in a socket, and as it turned it would pick up ink from a cartridge and then roll to deposit it on the paper. In 1950 Marcel Bich bought from Bíró the patent for the pen, which soon became the main product of his Bic company. From this site
please give me the name of a Bic Clic Stic Pen, (There are 10 to choose from– be specific)

For 10 Points: Stick Ice, Stick Revo Ice, Stick Color Grip, Stick Revo, Stick Wide Body Ecolutions.
For 5 Points: Bic Clic Stick Ice with Grip (3)
Others Were: Revo with Color Grip, Foil, Ecolutions

5. Seeing that Hungary is a country which only has about 20 million people, it’s quite amazing how many well known people are/ where living outside of Hungary, who where either born in Hungary or are of Hungarian descent. From this page , please give me the name of a famous Hungarian and their claim to fame. I am sure that you will be surprised at some of the names you see on the list.

10 Points to All: Joe Medwick (Baseball), Debra Winger (Actress), Peter Lorre (Actor), Henrietta Szold ( Founder of Hadassah), Franz Lehar ( Composer Operettas), Eugene Fodor (Founder of "Fodor's Travel Guides"), Monica Seles (Tennis superstar), Don Adams (Actor)

The site provided 337 Hungarians or descendants – yikes!!! Drew Barrymore (Actress), George Cukor( Double Oscar-Winning Director), Paul Erdos (Legendary Mathematician), Albert Fono ( First patent on airplane jet propulsion and enabled aircraft to fly faster than the speed of sound), Peter Carl Goldmark ( Invented the Color Television), Martina Hingis ( Tennis Superstar), Harry Houdini ( The "Greatest Magician on Earth), Calvin Klein (Fashion King) and the list goes on.

Scores

With a perfect score of 50 points : Denni19
Very closely behind With 45 points: DeputGary, Maninmidohio, Srini701, Nakarina
With 40 points: Brandz_mygirl & Mugaboo
And Last But Not Least With 30 points: Gatsby722

Congratulations to Denni19 for picking up 1 point with a perfect score for July , thank you all for playing, and enjoy the rest of your week.

#427988 - Thu Jul 24 2008 10:07 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
[*Clears throat*] Ahem! Excuse me! May I have your attention please? Just a quick announcement that Round 21 will be done, kaput, history and forgotten in 24 hours ....

#427989 - Thu Jul 24 2008 12:31 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Round 19 Results

1. A staple of any good western Pennsylvania gathering of family or friends is pasta with meat and sauce. We usually use rigatoni, which is a large tube shaped pasta. Please name any other type of pasta that is hollow inside.

For 10 points - fideua, tubetti, pennoni, garganelli, trenne

5 points - bucatini (3)

2. I also served meatballs in sauce, for sandwiches. Please give me a name for a meatball from a country other than the USA. (Hint: check wiki for meatballs)

For 10 points - pulpety (Poland), pulpeciki (Poland), kale-e gonjeshki (Iran), mielony (Poland), frikadellen (Germany), kofta (India), fasirt (Hungary), faggot (UK)

GREAT JOB!

3. Another menu item was Italian roast beef. The recipe I used is on this page. (the first one) Name any of the ingredients.

for 10 points = chili sauce, chuck roast, oregano, vinegar, ketchup, water

5 points - garlic salt (2)

4. A friend lent us a "Baggo" game. Ours is homemade, but from the official Baggo website, please give me any of the collegiate versions of the game you can order.

For 10 points - University of Michigan, Michigan State, University of Arkansas

5 points - University of Wisconsin (3), University of Missouri (2)

5. We also played a rather X-treme version of badminton. We're not in their class, but please give me any of the original nine member nations of the BWF. (Badminton World Federation)

for 10 points - Canada, Netherlands

5 points - Scotland (4), Ireland (2)

The others were Denmark, England, France, New Zealand, and Wales.

Scores

And we have a winner! With 45 points, Gatsby snatches the point!

A large pack of 2nd place players, with 40 points - Mugaboo, deputygary, maninmidohio, brandz_mygirl, srini, and nakarinna
With 35 points - szabs

Congratulations to our winner, and thanks for playing!

#427990 - Thu Jul 24 2008 01:23 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 24 - Thursday

Today's theme is 'The Seven Dwarfs' (well, some of them)...

1. Benjamin "Dopey Benny" Fein was an early American gangster who dominated New York labor racketeering in the 1910s. As one might expect, Fein was often in trouble with the law. Over the course of his life, Fein was arrested thirty times on charges ranging from petty theft and assault to grand larceny and murder. Some of his prison time took place at the Elmira Correctional Facility (aka 'The Hill'), a New York maximum security prison. Please tell me the name of another maximum security prison within the New York State Department of Correctional Services.

2. Peter "Sneezy Waters" Hodgson is a singer, guitarist, and actor hailing from Ottawa. Waters came to national notice in the lead role of Maynard Collins' musical revue "Hank Williams: The Show He Never Gave" - an 'imaginary concert' that Williams might have given New Year's Eve 1952 had he not passed away. In 1981 Waters released the album Sneezy Waters Sings Hank Williams; please select any track from this album.

3. "The Grumpy Old Bookman" is a litblog started by Michael Allen in late March 2004 for both readers and writers. A typical entry is either a lengthy review of a book, or the author's thoughts on some aspect of the book world. In February 2005, the GOB blog was listed by The Guardian as one of the top ten literary blogs worldwide. Please choose another literary blog named on The Guardian's list.

4. Happy is the reliable family dog on the WB's television show, 7th Heaven. 7th Heaven is an American drama series about a Protestant minister's family living in the fictional town of Glenoak, California. At eleven seasons, 7th Heaven is the longest running family drama in television history. Please give me the title of the final episode from any of the eleven seasons. (ETA: There's no need to include 'Part 2' with the episode title.)

5. William "Sleepy Bill" Burns was an American baseball player who played pitcher for five different Major League teams, including the Chicago White Sox. More notoriously, he was involved in the Black Sox scandal that erupted over the 1919 World Series, when several White Sox players agreed to intentionally lose the series in exchange for money. Burns supposedly acted as liaison between the bribed players and Arnold Rothstein (who was thought to have provided the money). Please name one of the eight men banned from baseball for life for their participation in the scandal.

This round will close on Tuesday, July 29 at noon FT time. Please PM me with any questions. Good luck!

Edited by nakarinna (Thu Jul 24 2008 01:33 PM)

#427991 - Fri Jul 25 2008 06:31 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 25 - Friday

My last round paid tribute to my mother, Beulah, so it is only fair that we have a round that pays tribute to my father. His name means great and although it can be a shortening of a longer name, his was not. He was named after his father, although they differed in their middle names. It is a good sturdy German name that did him justice. This round will be the Max Round.

1. One of the episodes of The Simpson’s from season 10 was called “Homer to the Max.” In this one Homer is pleased to find that a TV character on a police show (“Police Cops”) has the same name as him and is quite the hero, and he starts strutting about it. In the next episode of “Police Cops” however Homer gets his comeuppance when the character has been reshaped into quite the buffoon. Harry Shearer is a versatile voice artist who plays a lot of the minor characters on each episode of The Simpsons. Tell me a character without a name that Harry Shearer voiced for “Homer to the Max.”

2. One of the more interesting fictional characters to be brought to stage and film has been Max Bialystock in The Producers. The latest incarnation of the character was by Nathan Lane in the 2005 film version of the musical. Nathan Lane was the inimitable Max. Take a look at the IMDB entry for the film and look at the Certifications section. Give me a predominately non-English speaking country from this list and the “Certification” that was given to the film (a certification for only part of a country is acceptable).

3. You were probably just as thrilled as I when you learned earlier this year that Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony had named their new twins Max and Emme. The most famous Emme around is probably Melissa Aronson who is the first plus size model to achieve superstar status. Her “me by Emme” clothes line is sold through QVC. Go to the “me by Emme” web site and look at the clothing line. Tell me a color that any of the collection is available in (first word of color name only).

4. Max Q is a Houston-based rock band whose members are all NASA Astronauts. It was formed in early 1987 and named after the engineering term for the maximum dynamic pressure from the atmosphere experienced by an ascending spacecraft. The band has had a constantly changing line-up due to flight crew assignments, training, and the occasional retirement. Tell me a present or former member of the band and the instrument he played (no vocalists).

5. RE/MAX is one the major real estate companies in the United States with offices throughout the country. Visit the RE/Max around Atlanta web site and tell me one of the listings in their people/realtors section under T.

That will wrap up the MAX round. This round will end about noonish (FT Time) on Wednesday, July 30. Have a great weekend.

#427992 - Fri Jul 25 2008 09:35 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 21 - Monday
"Primetime Emmys"
Eight rock-solid participants !

1. To start, please tell me an episode title in HBO's "John Adams - OR, if you'd rather, one of the three fellows Emmy-nominated for Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie from the above-average production.

For 10 Points:
"Part 1: Join or Die"; "Part 3: Don't Tread on Me", "Part 5: Unite or Die", "Part 7: Peacefield", David Morse (as George Washington), Tom Wilkinson (as Benjamin Franklin)
For 5 Points:
"Part 4: "Reunion" (2)

The only other answers available were "Part 2: Independence", "Part 6: Unnecessary War" and Stephen Dillane (as Thomas Jefferson).

2. Wikipedia mentions a blog (part of AMC's viral marketing campaign to promote the seies) written by the fictional Walter White. Follow the link there and share with me any single sentence from the blog entry 'The Life Cycle' (#13) from "Walt's World" ...

For 10 Points:
Molecules change their bonds; It's the constant, it's the cycle; Just over and over and over; It is growth, then decay, then transformation; It's fascinating really; It's a shame so many of us never take time to consider its implications.
For 5 Points:
But that's all of life, right? (2)

3. Over at Brain Physics there's a checklist for possible symptoms of Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder. Pick one listed under Obsessions about Dirt & Contamination, Obsessions with Food & Weight or Hoarding Compulsions.

For 10 Points:
Abnormal concerns about sticky substances or residues; Accumulating useless objects; Minutely inspecting household trash in case some "valuable" item has been thrown out; Preoccupation with foods or food measurements; Rituals involving food (for example making sure that every bite is the same size, not letting foods touch on plate, etc.)
For 5 Points:
Unfounded fears of contracting a dreadful illness (3)

Some other red flags: *Excessive concerns about dirt and germs (including the fear of spreading germs to others); and environmental contaminants, such as household cleaners; *Feelings of revulsion about bodily waste and secretions; *Obsessions about one's body; *Irrational fears that some foods are bad or must be avoided and *Being overly concerned about one's weight (for example weighing one's self several times a day).

4. Nine people were arrested for the crimes/murder at the time. Could you tell me the FIRST name of any of those nine?

For 10 Points:
Coy (Hubbard)
For 5 Points:
Anna (Siscoe) (2), Judy (Duke) (2), Richard (Hobbs) (3)

Mike Monroe, Randy Lepper, John & Gertrude & Paula Baniszewski would have worked, too - possibly others.

5. Please have a look at Mad Men's official site (on AMC network) and tell me a song featured in episodes #8 thru #13, inclusively. Thank you!

For 10 Points:
Choo Choo Cha Cha (Rinky Dink), Don't Think Twice, It's Alright (Bob Dylan), Gopher Mambo (Yma Sumac), Metro Polka (Frankie Laine), My Special Angel (Bobby Helms), Volare (The McGuire Sisters)
For 5 Points:
Concierto De Aranjuez / Adagio (Miles Davis) (2)

The three others were "The Twist" (Chubby Checker), "Agua de Beber" (Astrud Gilberto) -and- "Fly Me to the Moon" (Julie London).

The Results!

45 Points! .... maninmidohio, Mugaboo
40 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, denni19, deputygary, srini701
35 Points! .... nakarinna, szabs

*Yay!* (and a monthly point, too) to our winners this time ~ maninmidohio and Mugaboo ! Well done to both of 'em. Well done to everyone, actually, in a very tight race. Thank you all for playing!

edited to fix a typo in the scores ...

Edited by Gatsby722 (Sat Jul 26 2008 07:46 AM)

#427993 - Fri Jul 25 2008 11:27 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Just under 24 hours to go for Round 22...

#427994 - Sat Jul 26 2008 03:00 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 26 - - Saturday 26th July

Aaagh! It's my turn to do a round and I've no theme! Aaaagh!

1. Take yourself over to aaagh.com and tell me one of their Classical Swords they have for sale.
2. Aaagh! is the second album released by Irish band Republic of Loose. The album was nominated for the Choice Music Prize. Please tell be another album that was short-listed for the Choice Music Prize, in the same year as Aaagh!
3. One of the castles in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" was called Castle Aaaagh! This was actually Castle Stalker. Please name another castle in Argyll.
4. "Aaagh! It's the Mr. Hell Show!" was an animated sketch comedy show, In which Bob Monkhouse provided the voice for Mr. Hell. Name any television program Bob Monkhouse hosted.
5. Asia Global Holdings Corporation has an OTCBB symbol of "aagh". Please name any company that has a four letter OTCBB symbol, begining with AR.

Round will close at 5am Friday (FT time). Anyone sitting in front of their computer saying "aaagh" too many times, can PM me for help.

#427995 - Sat Jul 26 2008 11:30 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Oh, yeah. Almost forgot to do this : Round 23 will be closed in app. 24 hours ....

#427996 - Sat Jul 26 2008 11:11 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 22 is closed. Results will be out a little later.

#427997 - Sun Jul 27 2008 09:52 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 23 - Wednesday
"Some Like It Hot"
Seven superstar players

1. To begin, please tell me a person (not the movie) nominated in those two Oscar categories the same year "Some Like It Hot" was.

For 10 Points:
Jack Clayton (Best Director, Room at the Top), Laurence Harvey (Best Actor, Room at the Top), George Stevens (Best Director, The Diary of Anne Frank), James Stewart (Best Actor, Anatomy of a Murder), William Wyler (Best Director, Ben Hur -- WINNER)
For 5 Points:
Fred Zinnemann (Best Director, The Nun's Story) (2)

The other correct answers might have been: Charlton Heston (Best Actor, Ben Hur -- WINNER), Jack Lemmon (Best Actor, Some Like It Hot), Paul Muni (Best Actor, The Last Angry Man) or Billy Wilder (Best Director, Some Like It Hot).

2. Kindly tell me one of Al Capone's brothers or sisters.

For 10 Points:
Matthew Capone, Umberto Capone, Vincenzo Capone
For 5 Points:
Erminio Capone (2), Mafalda Capone (2)

Salvatore and Rose were the other two.

3. I need to know a phrase that immediately precedes the words "Sweet Georgia Brown" in the original version of the song, the words written by Ken Casey.

For 10 Points:
Georgia claimed her, Georgia named her ...; No gal made has got a shade on ...; They all sigh and wanna die for ...
For 5 Points:
All those tips the porter slips to ... (2);Two left feet, but oh, so neat has ... (2)

That was almost all of 'em . *All the guys just rave about Sweet ...* and *Who's that mister, tain't her sister, It's ...* were the others.

4. Please tell me one of the shops you can purchase apparel or jewelry in the "movie fan"-friendly Hotel del Coronado. NO restaurants or 'specialty shops', OK?

For 10 Points:
Bradys (European-inspired contemporary clothing), del Coronado Jewels, Kate's (women's sophisticated apparel)
For 5 Points:
George Carter Jessop Jewelers (2), Set Sail (men's sportswear) (2)

Leaving 'The Signature Shop' ('logo' apparel and gifts), 'Weekends' (ladies active and casual sportswear) and 'H D Kids & Co.' (active clothing for infants, toddlers, young children) unmentioned.

5. Simple enough this time - kindly tell me one of those Plot Keyword(s) whose first [or possibly only] word begins with the letters found in 'L-I-K-E' -or- 'H-O-T'. And now yer done!

For 10 Points:
Escape, Ice, Leg, On The Run, Transvestism
For 5 Points:
Organized Crime (2)

Irreverent, Hidden Identity, Earring, Oil Tycoon, Love Triangle, Hotel, Train -and- Title Spoken By Character would have worked nicely, too.

The Results!

45 Points! .... denni19, maninmidohio
40 Points! .... nakarinna, szabs
35 Points! .... deputygary, Mugaboo
30 Points! .... brandz_mygirl

Hearty congratulations (!!) to denni19 and maninmidohio for topping the scoreboard today. Everyone did great ~ thank you all for jumping in! See ya next time ...

#427998 - Mon Jul 28 2008 01:04 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

July 22 Round - Answers
Huge thanks to the 7 who played.

1) From Hershey’s products page, please give the name of another candy (other than “Reese’s Pieces”) found on the “Products O-S” page.”
For Ten Points: Reese’s Nutrageous candy bar, Reese’s peanut butter cups, Reesesticks wafer bars, Hershey’s Symphony milk chocolate bar, 100 Calorie bars
For Five Points: Rolo caramels in milk chocolate (2)
Not mentioned: 14 more Hershey’s Sticks, Payday peanut caramel bar, Hershey’s Pot of Gold boxed chocolates, Hershey’s Brownies, Reese’s Fast Break candy bar, Reese’s peanut butter, Hershey’s Sandwich Cookies, Skor toffee bar, Snack Barz rice and marshmallow bars, Snacksters, Special Dark, Hershey’s Sugar Free Candy, Hershey’s Sweet & Salty granola bars, Hershey’s Syrup

2 Please name another movie that Ridley Scott directed between “Alien” and “Black Hawk Down”.
For Ten Points: 1492: Conquest of Paradise, Black Rain, G.I. Jane
For Five Points: Blade Runner (4)
Not mentioned: 6 more movies Legend, Someone to Watch Over Me, Thelma & Louise, White Squall, Gladiator, Hannibal

3) From the official website of the movie (“Mars Attacks”), please proceed to the capital city of a famous country and give me either an anatomy feature or weapon used by “these bug-eyed fiends from beyond”.
For Ten Points:
- Brain: Enormously swollen. Potentially telepathic.
- Eyeball: Glows in vivid crimson Reacts to moving objects.
- Space Suit: Flexible rubber texture. Bullet proof. Material unknown.
For Five Points:
- Glass Helment: Provides 306 degree view. U.V. protective. (2)Wonder if they meant ‘Glass Helmet’ and ‘360 degree’.
- Shotgun (2)
Not mentioned: 4 more features/weapons
- Nostrils: Breathes nitrogen.
- Air tube: Provides nitrogen from rear tank.
- Ray Gun: Shoots destructive rays. Evaporates human flesh. Power source unknown.
- Laser Pistol

4) Please name an actor who starred in more than 50 episodes in the original “Star Trek” TV series.
For Ten Points: Nichelle Nichols, Leonard Nimoy, George Takei
For Five Points: DeForest Kelley (2), William Shatner (2)
Not mentioned: James Doohan, Eddie Paskey, Bill Blackburn

5) From here, please give me any of the “Top 10 coolest Star Wars aliens”.
For Ten Points: Ugnaughts, Dewbacks
For Five Points: Mynocks (2), Ewoks (3)
Not mentioned: Tauntauns, Dianoga, B’omarr Monks, The Sarlacc in the Pit of Carkoon, Rancor, Jabba the Hutt

RESULTS! Very close round

Top Place:
40 points: Gatsby, Maninmidohio & Denni Three winners. Yay!

Other results:
35 points: Mugaboo, Deputygary & Nakarinna
30 points: Szabs

Will be back again real soon (hopefully) to post Round 28. Good day everyone.

Edited by brandz_mygirl (Tue Jul 29 2008 05:38 AM)

#427999 - Mon Jul 28 2008 10:47 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 24 will be closing in about 24 hours...

#428000 - Mon Jul 28 2008 10:52 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds
srini701 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Hyderabad India           
I am sure I sent in my answers to Rd 22.....you didn't get them?

#428001 - Tue Jul 29 2008 01:35 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Monday July 28 – quiz

Today’s quiz: First of BBC’s “100 Things We Didn’t Know Last Year”
I read this list at the beginning of the year and it’s coming in handy now.

1) Travelling by coach is considered the safest form of road transportation in the country (I presume the ‘country’ here refers to the U.K.). I used to live near Victoria Coach Station, the largest coach station in London. (And just in case clarification is needed, coaches are for long distance travel as in travelling from city to city, buses are just for one area like as in London buses serving just the capital.) Please give me the name of a coach operator that serves the Victoria Coach Station and whose name starts with any of the letters found in the words ‘COACH’ or ‘BUS’.

2) “Victor” was the code name for an infamous dictator during his imprisonment in Baghdad. He was executed on December 30, 2006. Probably one of the most important code names in history was “Operation Overlord” – the invasion of Normandy by the Allied Forces on June 6, 1944. From here, please give an independent state which joined the Allies prior to 1941.

3) Does adding milk spoil the health effects of tea? Tea has often been considered a healthy drink and black tea, according to a small German study, relaxes the arteries and improves blood pressure. A paper in the European Heart Journal has found that proteins in milk may prevent this ‘artery-relaxing’ ability of tea. Nothing is certain at this point in time as the studies are considered too small. I just wish someone would find some incredibly healthy benefit(s) of drinking coffee, lots of coffee. From here, please give me a Tea Fact that appears on this page. This is one of those times that I do not want the abbreviated fact sub-titles but the full fact sentence, and please do not click on the ‘more’, well, unless you want to read it of course. Hope that last sentence is clear enough.

4) “Jaywalking” is crossing a road outside of a designated crossing area and the word is derived from “Jay”, a U.S. slang used to indicate someone from a rural area unfamiliar with city ways. From the article only, not the comments, please give me the name of any country mentioned. An interesting article.

5) Cloudy apple juice vs. Clear apple juice? Cloudy apple juice, as compared to the clear variety, is supposed to contain way more antioxidants called polyphenols. We all know the importance of eating right, making sure our bodies have the right amount of right nutritions. From here, please give me an article found under the heading “Nutrition for everyone”.

That’s it from me this week. Whew! Finally! This round will close on Saturday 2 August at midnight FT time. Wishing one and all a happy Tuesday.

#428002 - Tue Jul 29 2008 05:32 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Sorry to post this here.

Re: Rd 22. Srini, I have sent you a PM reply to your post above, maybe a couple of hours ago. Gist is that I didn't receive your answers. Sorry, I don't know how it could have happened.

#428003 - Tue Jul 29 2008 07:00 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
ROUND 29 - Tuesday

For today's round, let's play with DOODLES

1 - A doodle is a type of unfocused drawing made while a person's attention is otherwise occupied. Simple drawings done while we're talking on the phone or attending a boring meeting/class, they can have a meaningful shape or just irregular forms. The things is everybody does them [I guess...] and not even presidents could stay away .
--- Pay a visit to the Presidential Doodles website and give me the name of an US president mentioned anywhere on the site.

2 - Many say that our doodles can be interpreted, like dreams or handwriting, and that they disclose the 'secrets' of our personality.
--- Please have a look in HERE and pick one of the 21 types of common doodles featured on that page.

3 - Doodletown is a ghost town in northern Rockland County, New York. The former isolated village was abandoned during the 1960s and it is now part of Bear Mountain State Park.
--- Let's move from north to south [on a doodling route if you so wish ] and go find a ghost town in Texas, whose name starts with "D".

4 - The regular Google logo goes through various modifications and/or humorous features for holidays, birthdays of famous people, and major events, like the Olympics. These special logos have become known as Google Doodles
--- Please give me any holiday/event celebrated by Google in 2003 with a Google doodle

5 - If you want to treat yourself or someone special to the gift of fine art you can always order a lovely artwork from DoodleDOG Paintings.
--- Dog lovers or not, please visit Kellie's Gallery and choose your favourite.
A.K.A. pick any painting title and send it over .

The round will close on Saturday at noon - FT time, of course .

Edited by denni19 (Tue Jul 29 2008 07:01 AM)

#428004 - Tue Jul 29 2008 10:43 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 24 will be closing in 20 minutes. However, the results will be delayed as I am waiting for an answer clarification.

#428005 - Tue Jul 29 2008 12:47 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Round 25 (The Max Round) will close in a little less than 24 hours. Plenty of time to get your entry in.

#428006 - Wed Jul 30 2008 07:15 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 24 Results

8 players entered this round…

1. Please tell me the name of another maximum security prison within the New York State Department of Correctional Services.

For 10 points: Southport, Five Points, Shawangunk, Clinton

For 5 points: Coxsackie (2), Great Meadow (2)

Not mentioned: Attica, Sing Sing, and others

2. In 1981 Waters released the album Sneezy Waters Sings Hank Williams; please select any track from this album.

For 10 points: "Lovesick Blues," "Alone and Forsaken," "Jambalaya," "Weary Blues (From Waiting)"

For 5 points: "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" (2), "You Win Again" (2)

Not mentioned: "Mind Your Own Business," "Hey Good Looking," "Cold Cold Heart," "I Saw the Light"

3. Please choose another literary blog named on The Guardian's list.

For 10 points: Laurable's poetry weblog, So Many Books, The Elegant Variation, Rakes Progress, ReadySteadyBlog, The London News Review Diary

For 5 points: Bookslut (2)

Not mentioned: The Diary of Samuel Pepys, Scribblingwoman

4. Please give me the title of the final episode from any of the eleven seasons of 7th Heaven.

For 10 points: "Dangerous Liaisons," "Little White Lies," "Love Stinks," "Life and Death"

For 5 points: "Holy War" (2), "…And Girlfriends" (2)

Not mentioned: "There Goes the Bride," "Are," "Mi Familia," "And Thank You," "And Away We Go"

5. Please name one of the eight men banned from baseball for life for their participation in the Black Sox scandal.

For 10 points: Eddie Cicotte, Claude "Lefty" Williams, George "Buck" Weaver, "Shoeless" Joe Jackson

For 5 points: Charles "Swede" Risberg (2), Oscar "Happy" Felsch (2)

Not Mentioned: Arnold "Chick" Gandil, Fred McMullin

Scores:

With 45 points: Mugaboo, Gatsby722, brandz_mygirl
With 40 points: deputygary, denni19, srini701
With 30 points: szabs
With 25 points: maninmidohio

Congratulations to Mugaboo, Gatsby722, and brandz_mygirl for winning one July trivia point each!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#428007 - Wed Jul 30 2008 03:34 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Round 25 – The Max Round

Eight experienced solvers participated in the Max round.

1. Tell me a character without a name that Harry Shearer voiced for “Homer to the Max."

For 10 Points
– Fan #2 and Man at Party

For 5 Points - FOX Announcer (2), Criminal #1 (2), and Producer #1 (2)

Not Chosen - Officer #1, Officer #2, Criminal #2, Bank Owner, and Producer #3

2. Take a look at the IMDB entry for "The Producers" and look at the Certifications section. Give me a predominately non-English speaking country from this list and the “Certification” that was given to the film.

For 10 Points
– Brazil:12, Germany:6, Iceland:L, and Malaysia:U

For 5 Points - Portugal:M/12 (2) and Switzerland:10 (2)

Not Chosen - South Korea:12, Finland:K-3, Norway:A, Singapore:PG, Sweden:7, and Argentina:13

3. Go to the “me by Emme” web site and look at the clothing line. Tell me a color that any of the collection is available in. (This web site seemed to give many problems and I apologize for that. Several seemed to give up and just chose the most likely color resulting in the most picks for a single answer that I have observed in this game.)

For 10 Points – Coral

For 5 Points - Black (5) and Sea (2)

Not Chosen – Grass, Turq, Cream, Espresso, Indigo, Brown, Steel, and Lavender

4. Tell me a present or former member of the band Max Q (made up of Houston astronauts) and the instrument he played (no vocalists). (Again apologies to those that found the defunct Australian rock band Max Q.)

For 10 Points – Dan Burbank – guitar, Ken "Taco" Cockrell – keyboards, Drew Feustel - lead guitar, Hoot Gibson – guitar, Pierre Thuot – bass, and Kevin Chilton - guitar

For 5 Points - Chris Ferguson - drums (2)

Not Chosen - Chris Hadfield - bass guitar, Greg "Box" Johnson – keyboards, Stephen "Stevie Ray" Robinson - lead guitar, Jim Wetherbee – drums, and Susan Helms - keyboards

5. Visit the RE/Max around Atlanta web site and tell me one of the listings in their people/realtors section under T.

For 10 Points
- Teal Lisa, Thomas Brenda J., Thompson Beverly Joyce, Tuboku-metzger Tamu, and Tuttle Jan

For 5 Points - Taylor Tracy (3)

Not Chosen - Team Volpert Family, Tegegne Yonas, Thompson Laura, Tripp Joli, and Troutman Lucy W.

The Results –

With 50 points and a perfect score – szabs . Hooray for missing all of the pitfalls that everyone else so easily found.
With 40 points – Srini
With 35 points – deputygary, nakarinna, Mugaboo, and brandz_mygirl
With 30 points – Gatsby and denni

So carrying away one trivia point for the month of July is that outstanding trivia looker-upper szabs. Good going. See you all for my next round.

#428008 - Wed Jul 30 2008 06:33 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
~ I'm thinking (but am not quite sure) our JaneMarple is on holiday at this time (or maybe about to return from one). So, I'll go ahead and throw up a Round 30. If she does pop in, the worst that will happen is we'll have 2 Rounds for Wednesday, I reckon? Hardly a crisis, if so ...

Round 30 ~ Wednesday

I was reading an article recently. A movie was mentioned in it several times. I loved the movie, too ... and it's now stuck in my head. And so it goes ...

1. "Father of Frankenstein" is a 1995 novel by Christopher Bram which speculates on the last days of film director James Whale. Mr. Whale directed such groundbreaking works as Frankenstein (1931) and The Invisible Man (1933) and was a colorful character that was the the stuff of a gloriously readable biography (as usual, liberties taken with facts notwithstanding). The 1998 movie Gods and Monsters is based on the novel -- and won an Oscar or two, one of which went to the screenplay for which Bram was partly responsible. The book is incredibly well-written, too, in my opinion. On Amazon (UK) they offer an excerpt of the first chapter. Read the SECOND paragraph there of "Father of Frankenstein" (*boom of an iron door* is part of it) and tell me a word in the text that has six letters or more.

2. The movie was released on January 21, 1998. Ironically, the day after the biopic was released that year, a *real life* monster (this one without a shred of charm -- something Frankenstein's beast AND James Whale, complicated as he was, seemed to have a good bit of) was convicted and sentenced to life in prison [no parole]. That was Theodore John Kaczynski, also known as The Unabomber, a mathematician and social critic - some might even label him a "genius"? He was known for carrying out a campaign of bombings and mail bombings which killed three people and wounded 23 in America. Very [ahem] appealing-to-the-eye fellow, too ~ see here. To begin, please tell me one of the people killed or injured by The Unabomber (skipping any of those wounded on the airplane incident).

3. The never-to-be-handily-typecast Sir Ian Murray McKellen (born May 25, 1939), who played James Whale, is a gifted English stage and screen actor, the recipient of the Tony Award and two Oscar nominations (one for Gods and Monsters). Sir Ian was born in Burnley, Lancashire - a large town at the juncture of the River Calder and River Brun. During the Industrial Revolution it was the world's largest producer of cotton cloth and was 'booming'. Today, though, Burnley has lost much of its industry and is increasingly a 'dormitory town,' or a suburban area where many commuters live. On the Visit Burnley website they list a sturdy roster of *events* there, however. Please tell me one that happens (or is happening) between August 5 and August 15, 2008 inclusively.

4. 'Frankenstein's Father' had a wider range than history often allows him; Whale was quite an attentive director. His 1936 feature "Show Boat" stands as a masterpiece, based on the musical by Jerome Kern and Oscar Hammerstein. This film version is a very faithful adaptation of the hit Broadway show and great care was taken by director James Whale to insure a feeling of complete authenticity. His "Show Boat" is considered to be one of the classic film musicals of all time, and one of the best stage-to-film adaptations ever made! Not bad for a dude forever dubbed "a pioneer of horror films", eh? The movie opened to rave reviews (like this one from the New York Times, on May 15, 1936). Give that article a scan and tell me the name, first AND last, of any man (real or fictional) it mentions. But don't pick James Whale ...

5. So, as we end our discussion of Gods and Monsters (a film that wasn't, on the surface of it, scary at all) as it told the story of what might have happened to James Whale (a man who directed some of the most frightening films in Hollywood history) as his life drew to an end? It seems fair and right to note that he is widely acknowledged, and deservedly venerated, on *The Cabinet* - a site dedicated to all things spooky, scream-worthy and entirely 'fright night'-ish. They list (all sent in by rather clever readers) the "Horror Movie Character Survival Guide". The entries are vast (nearly 1100 of 'em). Today, though, I will just ask you to name any one of the FIRST TEN things on there that a person, were they to find themselves squarely in the middle of a scary movie, should likely NEVER do ....

This'll wrap up on Sunday afternoon, OK? Thanks! [My apologies, too, to Jane if I *oopsed* and jumped the gun this evening !]

Edited by Gatsby722 (Wed Jul 30 2008 06:43 PM)

#428009 - Thu Jul 31 2008 12:41 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
No apolgies needed Gats - thank you very much indeed!

#428010 - Thu Jul 31 2008 06:06 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 31 - Thursday

Today's round is brief and eclectic...

1. Please name a Supreme Court Justice that attended Yale University.

2. Please give me a track from Five Times August’s 2005 album “Fry Street.”

3. Please choose a television show from Time Magazine’s ‘100 Best TV Shows of All-Time’ list with a title starting with a letter between T-Z.

4. Please give me an episode from season three of HBO’s award-winning western series “Deadwood.”

5. Please select a member of the gold medal-winning US ice sledge hockey team at the 2002 Winter Paralympics.

This round will close Tuesday August 5th at noon FT time. Please PM me with any questions. Good luck!

#428011 - Fri Aug 01 2008 05:23 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 26 - 8 played

1. Take yourself over to aaagh.com and tell me one of their Classical Swords they have for sale.
For 10 points: Broad sword; Count Rugan Rapier; Domingo Montoyer Rapier; Empire Sword; Excalibur Gold Sword; Musketeer Rapier (bronze finish, XK116); Napoleonic Sword; William Wallace Claymore
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned include: Classic Kukri; Gladiator Sword Roman; Modern Bolo; MacheteMusketeer Rapier (normal finish, XK115)

2. Aaagh! is the second album released by Irish band Republic of Loose. The album was nominated for the Choice Music Prize. Please tell be another album that was short-listed for the Choice Music Prize, in the same year as Aaagh!
For 10 points: Coping Mechanisms (Si Schroeder); Eyes Open (Snow Patrol); In Towers and Clouds (The Immediate); Now This I Have To Hear (Messiah J & The Expert); The End of History (Fionn Regan); Victory for the Comic Muse (The Divine Comedy)
For 5 points: We Thrive on Big Cities (Director) [2]
Not mentioned: Not Fade Away (David Kitt); Songs from the Deep Forest (Duke Special)

3. One of the castles in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" was called Castle Aaaagh! This was actually Castle Stalker. Please name another castle in Argyll.
For 10 points: Achallader Castle; Achanduin Castle; Ardencaple Castle; Caisteal na Nighinn Ruaidhe; Carnasserie Castle; Torosay Castle
For 5 points: Dunstaffnage Castle [2]
Not mentioned include: Carrick Castle; Duart Castle; Inveraray Castle; Kilchurn Castle; Skipness Castle; Castle Sween

4. "Aaagh! It's the Mr. Hell Show!" was an animated sketch comedy show, In which Bob Monkhouse provided the voice for Mr. Hell. Name any television program Bob Monkhouse hosted.
For 10 points: Behind the Laughter; Bob Momkhouse on the Spot; Bonkers!; The Golden Shot
For 5 points: Candid Camera [2]; Opportuniy Knocks [2]
Not mentioned include: Celebrity Squares; Bob's Full House; Family Fortunes; Wipeout

5. Asia Global Holdings Corporation has an OTCBB symbol of "aagh". Please name any company that has a four letter OTCBB symbol, begining with AR.
For 10 points: Arbor Entech Copr (ARBE); Ardaigm Corp (ARDM); ARI Network Services (ARIS); Arno Therapeutics (ARNI); Auror Capital Corp (AROC); Artfest International, Inc (ARTI)
For 5 points: Aurasound, Inc (ARAU) [2]
Not mentioned: 12 more to choose from.

Scores:
50 points: Gatsby722; Srini701
45 points: Maninmidohio; Szabs
40 points: Brandz_mygirl; Denni19; Deputygary; Nakarinna

Very good play by all. Our two victors, soaring above the rest are Gatsby and Srini - an extra round of applause for them please.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002