Rules
Terms of Use

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#428012 - Sat Aug 02 2008 11:42 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Hello all, just to say that Round 28 will be closing in just over 11 hours.

I've replied to every set of answers received so far. If anyone has sent in answers and have not received a reply from me, please let me know.

That's it. Bye for now.

#428013 - Sat Aug 02 2008 11:47 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
And I've just finished Doodling . That is to say - Round 29 is now closed.
The results will follow... tomorrow morning.

#428014 - Sat Aug 02 2008 04:51 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Eeek! Almost forgot to do this again ! The Gods & Monsters Round (#30, I believe?) will be closing in 24 hours ....

#428015 - Sat Aug 02 2008 11:03 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 28 is now closed. Results later today.

#428016 - Sun Aug 03 2008 09:37 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
ROUND 29 - Doodles

1 -- Pay a visit to the Presidential Doodles website and give me the name of an US president mentioned anywhere on the site.

10 points ALL : Theodore Roosevelt, Herbert Hoover, Warren G. Harding, Dwight D. Eisenhower, Andrew Jackson, George H.W. Bush, Andrew Johnson

2 -- Please have a look in HERE and pick one of the 21 types of common doodles featured on that page.

10 points ALL – yay!: Various Travel Vehicles, Repetitive Shapes, Pistols-Canons-Swords, Puppies-Cubs and Animals, Arrows and Ladders, Phallic Shapes, Geometric Shapes

3 -- Find a ghost town in Texas, whose name starts with "D".

10 points: Dixieland, Dry Zulch, Divot, Dillon, Dryden

5 points: Drumright [2]

Not mentioned: Darwin, Decker, Dodge City and more

4 -- Please give me any holiday/event celebrated by Google in 2003 with a Google doodle (special logo)

10 points: Happy Birthday to Michelangelo, Earth Day, Google celebrates MC Escher's birthday, Happy Thanksgiving, Happy New Year

5 points: Father’s Day [2]

Not mentioned: 100th Anniversary of Flight, Celebrating Google's 5th birthday, Happy Independence Day, Mother's Day and a few more

5 -- Please visit Kellie's Gallery and choose your favourite - A.K.A. pick any painting title

10 points ALL : Charming Chong, Darling Doxie, Travelling Thor, Good Girl, Chili Bird, Tanner, Regal Razor

The RESULTS for Round 29 are:

With 50 points: Nakarinna, Szabs, Deputygary and Maninmidohio – Excellent job !

With 45 points: Gatsby and Mugaboo

With 40 points: Brandz_mygirl

A well deserved monthly point goes to Nakarinna, Szabs, Deputygary and Maninmidohio for their perfect scores. Congratulations!

Thank you ALL for playing, it was great fun doodling with you !

#428017 - Sun Aug 03 2008 04:20 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 30 - Wednesday
"Gods and Monsters"
Six phenomenal participants

1. On Amazon (UK) they offer an excerpt of the first chapter. Read the SECOND paragraph there of "Father of Frankenstein" [ ... *boom of an iron door* ... is part of it] and tell me a word in the text that has six letters or more.
Complete paragraph: Lightning splits the sky, a jagged mile-high spark that leaps to the earth with the boom of an iron door slamming shut. In the hard white flash, the twisted vines around the window's casement flare into view, as sharply rendered as an engraving in an old anatomy book.

For 10 Points:
Casement, Engraving, Lightning, Splits
For 5 Points:
Rendered (2)

2. To begin, please tell me one of the people killed or injured by The Unabomber (skipping any of those wounded on the airplane incident).
... 2 of the bombs diffused with no injuries ...

For 10 Points:
Terry Marker (minor injuries); Nicklaus Suino (shrapnel wounds)
For 5 Points:
James V. McConnell (hearing loss) (2); Percy Wood (cuts and burns) (2)

The others were John Harris (slight injuries); Janet Smith (severe injury to hands requiring extensive rehabilitative treatment); Diogenes Angelakos (burns to right hand and face; near complete recovery); John Hauser (partial loss of vision in left eye, loss of four fingers on right hand); Hugh Scrutton (first fatality); Gary Wright (minor injuries); Charles Epstein (severe injuries); David Gelernter (damage to right hand and right eye); Thomas J. Mosser (second fatality); Gilbert P. Murray (third fatality).

3. On the Visit Burnley website they list a still-bustling roster of *events* there, however. Please tell me one that happens (or is happening) between August 5 and August 15, 2008 inclusively.

For 10 Points:
Everybody!
Free Shuttle Bus to Towneley Hall, Running Out of Steam, From Cooler Woodland, The Steam Locomotives and Enginemen of Rosegrove and Burnley, Padiham Sports Week and Festival of Fun, Woodland Wednesdays

If in Burnley this month one might opt for Big Art in Burnley, Burnley Jazz Summer School, Worsthorne Arts and Crafts Exhibition or The Classic Car Show as well.

4. Give that article a scan and tell me the name, first AND last, of any man (real or fictional) it mentions. But don't pick James Whale ...

For 10 Points:
Charles Winninger, Florenz Ziegfield
For 5 Points:
Oscar Hammerstein (2), Gaylord Ravenal (2)

Jerome Kern, Paul Robeson, Allan Jones, Sammy White and Frank Schultz were the other gentleman available to choose there.

5. Today, though, I will just ask you to name any one of the FIRST TEN things on there that a person, were they to find themselves squarely in the middle of a scary movie, should likely NEVER do ....

For 10 Points:
#7) If the gang plans a fun midnight party in the town's old abandoned mansion, don't tag along. Especially don't tag along if everyone's going as couples, except you're the odd guy/gal out. And if you're the gang's jokester, you may as well write up your last will and testament while you're driving with them to the place; 8) As a general rule, don't solve puzzles that open portals to Hell.
For 5 Points:
#5) If your children speak to you in Latin or any other language which they do not know, or if they speak using a voice other than their own, shoot them at once. It will save you a lot of grief in the long run. Note: it's unlikely they'll die easy, so be prepared (2); #10) If you're searching for something which caused a noise and find out that it's just the cat, leave the room immediately if you value your life. (2)

"Never stand in, on, above, below, beside, or anywhere near a grave, tomb, crypt, mausoleum, or other domicile of the dead" is another bit of useful advice , amongst a few others.

The Results!

45 Points! .... Mugaboo, nakarinna
40 Points! .... denni19, szabs
35 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, maninmidohio

Points (and kudos, too !), then, to Mugaboo and nakarinna this time! Well done to them and thank you all for jumping in! Very close scores, as always. Have a great week ahead! Oh ... and, by all means, stay clear of any and all "portals leading to Hell" ...

#428018 - Mon Aug 04 2008 06:23 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

July 28 Round - Answers
Thank you to the 7 who played the First of BBC’s “100 Things We Didn’t Know Last Year” round.

1) Please give me the name of a coach operator that serves the (London) Victoria Coach Station and whose name starts with any of the letters found in the words ‘COACH’ or ‘BUS’.
For Ten Points: Soltysik Reisen, Oxford Espress
For Five Points: Alga (2), Orbis Transport (3)
Not mentioned: 8 more operators Bohemian Lines, Bus Travel, CSAD, Omar, Orbis Travel, Silver Choice, Sindbad, Uchanski

2) From here, please give an independent state which joined the Allies prior to 1941.
For Ten Points: Newfoundland, Luxembourg, Belgium, Canada, Australia, United Kingdom, South Africa
10 points all! Yay!
Not mentioned: 9 more Poland, France, New Zealand, Nepal, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands, Free France, Greece

3) From here, please give me a Tea Fact that appears on this page. This is one of those times that I do not want the abbreviated fact sub-titles but the full fact sentence, and please do not click on the ‘more’, well, unless you want to read it of course.
For Ten Points: Tea breaks are a tradition that have been with us for approximately 200 years. 80% of office workers now claim they find out more about what's going on at work over a cup of tea than in any other way.
For Five Points: The first book about tea was written by Lu Yu in 800 A.D. (3) Tea is a natural source of fluoride that can help protect against tooth decay and gum disease. (2)
Not mentioned: 9 more tea facts Apart from tourism, tea is the biggest industrial activity in India. Tea was created more than 5000 years ago in China. Tea firstly appeared in Europe thanks to Portuguese Jesuit Father Jasper de Cruz in 1560. The number of recommended cups of tea to drink each day is 4, this gives you optimal benefit. 96% of all cups of tea drunk daily in the UK are brewed from tea bags. 98% of people take their tea with milk, but only 30% take sugar in tea. Tea has potential health maintainence benefits in cardiovascular disease and cancer prevention. Tea contains half the amount of caffeine found in coffee. By the middle of the 18th Century tea had replaced ale and gin as the drink of the masses and had become Britain's most popular beverage.

4) From the article only, not the comments, please give me the name of any country mentioned.
For Ten Points: Singapore, Spain, Australia, United States
For Five Points: Canada (3)
Not mentioned: United Kingdom, Poland, Slovenia, Germany, Netherlands

5) From here, please give me an article found under the heading “Nutrition for everyone”.
For Ten Points: Beans: A Very Powerful Vegetable, Lamb: The Essence of Nutrient-Rich Flavor, Discover Mushrooms: Nature’s Hidden Treasure, Adult Beverage Consumption: Making Responsible Drinking Choices, The Pasta Meal: Italy’s Nutrient Powerhouse, Making the DASH Difference: The DASH Eating Plan Can Assist in Managing High Blood Pressure for Many People, The Balancing Act: Eat Well and Move It!
10 points all again, double yay!
Not mentioned: There are 8 more article titles to choose from. I’m not going to list them here, too long.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
45 points: Maninmidohio & Nakarinna Well done!

Other results:
40 points: Mugaboo, Deputygary, Gatsby & Szabs
35 points: Denni

Wishing everyone a bright and cheery week.

Edited by brandz_mygirl (Mon Aug 04 2008 06:25 AM)

#428019 - Mon Aug 04 2008 10:03 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 31 will be closing in about 25 hours...

#428020 - Thu Aug 07 2008 09:53 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 31 Results

5 players entered this round…

1. Please name a Supreme Court Justice that attended Yale University.

For 10 points: George Shiras, Jr.; David J. Brewer; William B. Woods; Clarence Thomas; Byron White

For 5 points: none

Not mentioned: Samuel Alito, Henry Baldwin, Henry B. Brown, and others

2. Please give me a track from Five Times August’s 2005 album “Fry Street.”

For 10 points: "Perfectly," "Roll Into You," "Owe It All to You"

For 5 points: "So Typical" (2)

Not mentioned: "First Time for Everything," "Better With You," "Save It for Later," and others

3. Please choose a television show from Time Magazine’s ‘100 Best TV Shows of All-Time’ list with a title starting with a letter between T-Z.

For 10 points: Twin Peaks, Taxi, What's My Line?

For 5 points: The Twilight Zone (2)

Not mentioned: The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, 24, The West Wing and others

4. Please give me an episode from season three of HBO’s award-winning western series Deadwood.

For 10 points: "True Colors," "A Two-Headed Beast"

For 5 points: "Amateur Night" (3)

Not mentioned: "Tell Your God to Ready for Blood," "I Am Not the Fine Man You Take Me For," "Full Faith and Credit," and others

5. Please select a member of the gold medal-winning US ice sledge hockey team at the 2002 Winter Paralympics.

For 10 points: Matt Coppens

For 5 points: Lonnie Hannah (2), Sylvester Flis (2)

Not Mentioned: Patrick Byrne, David Conklin, James Dunham, and others

Scores:

With 50 points: Gatsby722
With 45 points: Mugaboo
With 35 points: maninmidohio, denni19
With 30 points: brandz_mygirl

Congratulations to Gatsby722 for his perfect score and last trivia point of July!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  ozzz2002