Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#433244 - Fri Aug 01 2008 05:01 AM August Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Each day (except Sunday) one of our Trivia Round hosts will post 5 questions that have multiple possible correct answers. Each player should PM his or her answers to the host within the time frame specified (at least 48 hours, but usually more). Each unique correct answer provided (one that was not given by any other player) will receive 10 points, each non-unique correct answer will receive 5 points.

No sign-up or registration is required to play!!! and each player can play as many or as few Rounds as he or she chooses.

Mondays - Brandz_mygirl and Gatsby
Tuesdays - Brandz_mygirl
Wednesdays - Gatsby and JaneMarple
Thursdays - Nakarinna
Fridays - Szabs and Maninmidohio
Saturdays - Mugaboo

(As far as I know nothing has changed in last month's roster, but if it did please let me know and I'll immediately make the necessary corrections )

**Edited to remove myself from the list
** Edited once more for removing Cinnam0n

Edited by denni19 (Mon Aug 04 2008 06:51 AM)

#433245 - Fri Aug 01 2008 05:14 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 1 - August

I have decided to take you to the Greek Islands for this round . Greece apart from it’s mainland is made up of approximately 2000 or mores islands, of which only 227 are inhabited. The islands are indexed in groups depending on their location, the Cyclades, Dodecanese, Ionian, Sporades, Saronic or NE Aegean. The islands are the cradle of some of the most ancient and prosperous civilisations, such as the Cycladic and Minoan, thus the islands boast unique archaeological sites, outstanding architectural heritage and centuries-old of fascinating local traditions. Use this Greek Island Link to get to your answers.

1. Hydra lies between the Saronic and Argolis Gulf, and it is considered to be one of the Argo- Saronic Islands. Hydra has only one main town, known as Hydra Port with 3000 inhabitants and the rest is characterised by rocky hillsides, virtually uninhabited except for the odd farmhouse and a few remote monasteries. Besides garbage trucks, motor vehicles are not permitted on the island, which leaves the bulk of public transportation up to horses & donkeys. In the late 50’s the island was 'discovered' by artists such as the Canadian singer Leonard Cohen, thus gaining a worldwide reputation as an artist colony. Today it still attracts artists and writers, quite a few books and movies have been written, set or filmed in Hydra. Please give me the name of a Book about or set on Hydra or a Movie filmed on Hydra.

2. Corfu or Kerkyra, is the 2nd largest and the most northerly of the Ionian chain of islands.. The island is steeped in history and connected to the history of Greece from the beginning of Greek mythology. Its Greek name, Kerkyra, is connected to two powerful water symbols: Poseidon, god of the sea and Asopos, an important Greek mainland river. The island's history is laden with battles and conquests. By the Treaty of Paris of 5 November 1815, the Ionian Islands became a protectorate of the United Kingdom as the United States of the Ionian Islands, Corfu became the seat of the British Lord High Commissioner of the Ionian Islands. The British commissioners, who were practically autocrats in spite of the retention of the native senate and assembly, introduced a strict method of government. Please give me the name of one of the British Governors from 1814 till 1863. (Do not include the President of the Parliament)

3. Ithaca otherwise Ithaka or Ithaki is one of the Ionian Islands. With no sandy beaches all are stone or pebble and couched in deeply carved bays often shaded by hills. The countryside is truly astonishing and the scenery heartbreakingly beautiful. Ithaca is almost split in two by the bay at Ateos, with two large peninsulas north and south. The south has the capital at Vathi, nestling at the end of a huge inlet, and hosts the more important links to Homer, as many island sites have been speculatively identified with places mentioned in the Odyssey. In the Odyssey of Homer, there is a description of Ithaca, would you be so kind and give me a 7 or more letter word used to describe the island.

4. Samos is located in the North Aegean sea, a large, long mountainous island that was once one of Greece's wealthiest, with many architectural wonders inherited from the ancient world. In classical antiquity the island was a centre of Ionian culture and luxury, renowned for its Samian wines and its red pottery. Its most famous building, was the Ionic order archaic Temple of goddess Hera - the Heraion. Samos boast of a number of famous Samian people, undoubtedly Pythagoras being the most famous as well as a slave known as Aesop for writing his fables, but the island is connected with philosophers, writers, astronomers and sculptors. Would you be so kind and give me the name of a Notable person from Samos.

5. Milos is "the Island of Colors" due to its splendid beauties of volcanic origin. Milos with a horseshoe shape is the most western island of the Cyclades. Milos is most famous for the statue of Aphrodite of Milos, better known as the Venus de Milo. On the 8th of April 1820 George Kentrotas, was digging in his field, when he uncovered a «small cave» which was later found to be part of the platform of the ancient stadium. Inside was half the statue of Aphrodite. By chance, nearby, was the French officer Olivier Voutier who was visiting Milos for a few days on their ship Estafette. They persuaded Kentrotas to search for the other half of the statue. This he did and he came across two «Hermes» statues, one of Hermes as a youth and another of Hercules as an old man. With these was the other half of the Aphrodite. Eventually the Ambassador of France managed to buy the statue and since then it has been on exhibit in the Louvre Museum in Paris. Please give me a 7 or more letter word using the letters in Aphrodite of Milos.

Let say we close this round on Wednesday 6th of August around mid afternoon FT time. In the meantime enjoy your trip around the islands and have a great weekend.

#433246 - Sun Aug 03 2008 09:52 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
I am really sorry to do this...

I won't be hosting in August . Due to my Mum's serious health problems I am too distracted (and tired) to focus on other stuff than my worries and troubling thoughts.

I promise to try and play as much as I can and hopefully I will be back in September.

Thank you!

#433247 - Sun Aug 03 2008 05:24 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Oh, brother - I can't believe I came to the forums to post this and found denni's message! I, too, am going to have to drop out for at least the month of August. I just have too much going on this month to host any rounds. We are going to be gone for a week, and the rest of the month I will be busy getting my youngest ready for college. Something's gotta give! I am very sorry...

#433248 - Sun Aug 03 2008 08:47 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Egads! All week long I've been wondering why this theme has been in my head, pressing to get out? Perhaps a "psychic nudge' ? It looks like our Trivia Rounds might go into hiatus? Ah, but it's been a fine run of 'em, indeed. So - before the 'temporary silence' lands, I'll offer up Monday's *stuff*. Near and dear to my heart as it happens to be ...

Round 4 ~ Monday

1. Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald (1896-1940) was born in Minnesota, named after his famous anthem-writing relative. But everybody called him "Scott." He entered Princeton in 1913 and became involved in the Triangle Club, a musical-comedy society there. Too involved . He was ultimately [but politely] invited to leave the school after three years and poor marks. As he progressed (with fits and starts) to becoming one of the twentieth century's greatest writers, he also became a symbol for the times he lived in, coining phrases like "There are no second acts in American lives" and even naming his era The Jazz Age -- "a gilded juggernaut of Jazz & gin", many huffed. A song by Edgar Leslie came to popularly represent The Jazz Age, as gender issues and social decorum boldly blurred. Please tell me one of the eleven lines in the tune "Masculine Women, Feminine Men".

2. F. Scott made many remarkable mistakes in his life - and some say that the woman who stole his heart, his Zelda, was the most dazzling misstep in the lot. Their marriage was tempestuous, afloat in liquor and awash with self-destruction. Yet, it was legendary. A musical about the two happened in 2004 ~ "The Beautiful and the Damned" (also the title of one of Fitzgerald's novels) ran briefly and, as seems expected, the actor playing Scott was talented, true, but moreso incredibly good-looking. Despite assumptions, Scott was not a staggeringly handsome man. The part went to Michael Praed, best known for his role in the TV series "Robin of Sherwood". Lately he is familiar to many for his voice, as the regular narrator of the BBC's history program "Timewatch". Kindly tell me an episode of "Timewatch" that first aired in the first four months of 2007.

3. "The Pat Hobby Stories" are a collection of short stories written by F. Scott Fitzgerald, first published in Esquire magazine between January 1940 and May 1941. The last installments in Esquire were, sadly, published posthumously. Slightly autobiographical, this Pat Hobby - he's a down-and-out screenwriter in Hollywood, once successful and "a good man for structure", now reduced to an alcoholic has-been hanging around the studio lot. The stories follow him as he's fitfully knee-deep in ploys for money or much-desired screen credit, but his antics usually backfire and end only in making matters worse for the unfortunate anti-hero. Please tell me one of the stories in the collection - and pick one without the name *Pat Hobby* in the title. Thanks!

4. "There is no confusion like the confusion of a simple mind, and ... Tom was feeling the hot whips of panic." -and- "This is a valley of ashes - a fantastic farm where ashes grow like wheat ..." Both are brilliantly aimed lines from Fitzgerald's classic "The Great Gatsby", written in 1925. Scott had been an alcoholic since college, becoming notoriously so in the 1920s. Heavy drinking left him in poor health early on. He died on December 21, 1940 while awaiting a visit from his doctor (after two heart attacks); he was 44. On his grave are etched the final (and even more resounding) words from his best known book. In the novel, it reads: "It eluded us then, but that's no matter - tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther! And one fine morning *** [it's here that the words at his grave begin]. Pick one of those missing words (none of two- or three- letters, OK?)

5. I, for one, don't think "The Great Gatsby" is the best book I've ever read. Nor do I think the character in it was all that appealing OR notably honorable. I do think that F.Scott Fitzgerald was a wildly important writer and a powerful influence on modern literature. And I think that Gatsby was flawed enough to be fascinating, albeit ultimately doomed. That said, "The Great Gatsby" is considered to be among the finest American novels ever written. Here is a site where a fellow compiles lists and is honest enough to say: "There's always a wave of griping about how worthless lists are. Then everyone makes a list of what's wrong with (whatever list is in question). Personally, I like lists!" Tell me a novel, aside from "Gatsby", that appears in the Top 5 on any of the lists of The 100 Best English-Language Novels of the 20th Century from that link.

Closing up at Friday noon-ish! See you then-ish ....

Edited by Gatsby722 (Mon Aug 04 2008 10:14 AM)

#433249 - Tue Aug 05 2008 11:13 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

*Beep Beep - Toot Toot* Just a reminder that Round 1 will be closing in 24 hours, plenty of time for more entries .

#433250 - Wed Aug 06 2008 03:03 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Tuesday Aug 5 – quiz

A Bit of Stuff . Source of all these ‘stuff’ is the BBC News.

1) George Bernard Shaw, the great Irish playwright who wrote “Pygmalion” among others, had a garden shed in which he did a lot of his writing. It was reported that he named his shed after the UK capital so that when visitors called they could be told he was away in London. From here, please give me the title of a play George Bernard Shaw wrote that begins with a vowel. Titles that begin with ‘The’ will be considered as starting with the letter ‘T’.

2) “You are 176 times more likely to be murdered than to win the (UK) National Lottery.” (Just a note that the figure is from 2005.) Wish I could win the lottery….sigh! From the website of the UK National Lottery, under “Lotto”, please give me a winning ball number that happened on any Wednesday in the month of July 2008. The winning numbers are made up of 7 ball numbers, I just need one of the 7 ball numbers.

3) “When faced with danger, the octopus can wrap six of its legs around its head to disguise itself as a fallen coconut shell and escape by walking backwards on the other two legs, scientists discovered.” Just picturing this gave me the giggles. However, this question will not be about the octopus, but about the humble coconut. From here, please give a non-culinary use of the coconut. Feel free to summarise or quote the first eight or so words of a sentence if too long.

4) “ "Restaurant" is the most mis-spelled word in search engines.” I’m not sure which search engines are involved, which year or period this refers to or whether it’s specific to any country. Anyway, I did a look round the internet for a related topic. I thought this one might be interesting. From here, please give me one of ‘10 common English language errors’. Just the title please.

5) “The spiciness of sauces is measured in Scoville Units.” From here, please name a pepper that has less than one million Scoville Units on average.

This round will close at midnight (FT time) on Saturday 9 August. (I seem to be getting later with my rounds, ideas for the rounds are there, but it’s just harder to get the questions out, nothing seems interesting enough.) Thanks for reading, hope you’ll play. Happy Wednesday wishes to all.

#433251 - Wed Aug 06 2008 10:09 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 6 August
Q1 A boy’s name beginning with Y
Q2 A girls name beginning with Y
Q3 A profession beginning with Y
Q4 A FICTIONAL character with the first name or surname beginning with Y
Q5 Any animal beginning with Y

This round closes at the weekend

#433252 - Thu Aug 07 2008 04:49 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 1 – Answers

Thank you to the 6 most formidable players who participated on this Greek Island adventure round .

1. Hydra lies between the Saronic and Argolis Gulf, and it is considered to be one of the Argo- Saronic Islands. Please give me the name of a Book about or set on Hydra or a Movie filmed on Hydra.

For 10 Points: Rhubarbs from a Rock, Clouds over Hydra
For 5 Points: Fugitive Pieces (2), Girl in Black (2)
Among Others not Mentioned: The Colossus of Maroussi, Hydra and the Bananas of Leonard Cohen, Boy on a Dolphin, Out of the Shadows

2. Corfu or Kerkyra, is the 2nd largest and the most northerly of the Ionian chain of islands. Please give me the name of one of the British Governors from 1814 till 1863. (Do not include the President of the Parliament)

For 10 Points: James Alexander Stewart-Mackenzie , Howard Douglas , Sir Henry George Ward , Sir Henry Knight Storks
For 5 Points: Sir Frederick Adam (2)
Among Others not Mentioned: Sir James Campbell, Sir Thomas Maitland, William Ewart Gladstone

3. Ithaca otherwise Ithaka or Ithaki is one of the Ionian Islands. The south has the capital at Vathi, nestling at the end of a huge inlet, and hosts the more important links to Homer, as many island sites have been speculatively identified with places mentioned in the Odyssey. In the Odyssey of Homer, there is a description of Ithaca, would you be so kind and give me a 7 or more letter word used to describe the island.

For 10 Points :Mountain, Forests, Towards, Islands, Shining
For 5 Points:Shining (2)
Among Others not Mentioned: Covered, Wooded, Farthest

4. Samos is located in the North Aegean sea. Samos boast of a number of famous Samian people, undoubtedly Pythagoras being the most famous as well as a slave known as Aesop for writing his fables, but the island is connected with philosophers, writers, astronomers and sculptors. Would you be so kind and give me the name of a Notable person from Samos.

For 10 Points: Polycrates, Nicaenetus of Samos, Rhoecus, Theon of Samos
For 5 Points: Asclepiades of Samos (2)
20 Tto choose from among them: Pythagoras , Aeaces, Aethlius , Epicurus

5. Milos is most famous for the statue of Aphrodite of Milos, better known as the Venus de Milo. Please give me a 7 or more letter word using the letters in Aphrodite of Milos.

Yay! 10 Points to all:Atrophies, Thermals, Mortified, Doomster, Lordship, Lempira
Among Others not Mentioned: Formalities, Amplified, Editorials, Sophmore and many more.

Scores

With a perfect score of 50 points : Maninmidohio
Very closely behind With 45 points: Denni19 & Nakarina
With 40 points: Gatsby722 & Mugaboo
And Last But Not Least With 30 points: Brandz_mygirl

Congratulations to Maninmidohio for picking up 1 point with a perfect score for August , Thank you all for playing, and I am sorry that I could not provide you with a Greek Island tour as a prize for participating, with that, I hope you enjoy the rest of your week, wherever you are .

#433253 - Thu Aug 07 2008 07:33 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 7

1. The *Dog* Who Knew Too Much is the second book in Carol Lea Benjamin’s ‘Rachel Alexander and Dash’ mystery series. The series centers around Rachel Alexander, a free-spirited sleuth who lives in Greenwich Village and her pit bull, Dashiell. There are a total of nine books in this series; please take a look at this site and choose another book from the series.

2. A rope is an extremely versatile piece of equipment. It can be used as everything from a child’s toy to an elaborate system for heavy-duty lifting. One such use is for recreational climbing. Safety is an important consideration in climbing, and thus it is important to learn what rope(s) to use should you decide to participate in the activity. Please visit this site and pick a rope characteristic from this list (just the headings will be fine).

3. Rear Window Recording Studio is a small studio in Boston, Massachusetts. The studio is housed in a century-old building and yet is modern enough to receive a write-up in Drum Magazine for their state-of-the-art drum room. Please visit the Rear Window website and name one of the ‘Rear Window Artists’ listed there. (Those listed in the ‘word from Milt’ are not eligible unless mentioned in the list below as well).

4. "Vertigo" is the opening track and first single from U2's 2004 album How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. The song garnered three Grammy awards including "Best Rock Song", "Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal" and "Best Short Form Music Video." Please tell me the title of another track from U2’s eleventh studio album, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.

5. There are really two people who can tie these four questions together. The first, of course, is Mr. Alfred Hitchcock, who directed all four of the films highlighted in the above questions (assuming you make the protagonist of Q1 a little less canine and a little more human). However, the other link is that Mr. James Stewart appeared in all of these films – in fact, they are the only four films in which Hitchcock and Stewart teamed up. Jimmy Stewart was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Reagan for ‘his contributions in the fields of the arts and entertainment and public service.’ Please select another individual who received this award during the same ceremony as Mr. Stewart.

This round will close Tuesday June 12th at noon FT time. Please PM me with any questions. Good luck!

#433254 - Fri Aug 08 2008 07:39 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 8

Continuing on the saga of my life, you found out that I was born in Chelsea Naval Hospital in an earlier round, but the first 10 years of my life were spent in Malden, Massachusetts which is a suburb just north of Boston in Middlesex County. One of its biggest claims to fame is that Paul Revere missed Malden in spite of Longfellow’s line “Through every Middlesex village and farm” in his poem The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere . Instead he routed through neighboring Medford. Anyway this will be the Malden Round.

1. Through the official web site of the City of Malden, MA, tell me a city department listed under Operations.

2. Daly Thompson, the Olympic decathloner, is one of the most noted residents of Old Malden, England, the place that Malden, MA, was named after. Wikipedia lists an impressive number of records, awards, and sporting positions that Thompson either won or held. Please tell me a person that held one of these titles either immediately before or immediately after Daly.

3. Karl Malden, born Mladen Adam Sekulovich in Gary, IN, is one of the preeminent character actors of the 20th century. He won a best supporting actor award for his work in A Streetcar Named Desire. From the imdb listing for A Streetcar Named Desire give me another actor who was in the film (do not go to the “more” listing).

4. Malden Florists in Malden, WV, appears to be a thriving business with many different offerings available through their web site. Tell me the name of a special arrangement that can be ordered for the “New Baby” that does not start out with “Teleflora.”

5. Malden Island is one of the Line Islands in the central tropical Pacific. Most of the Line Islands are now part of Kiribati. Kiribati gained its independence in 1979 from Great Britain and took its name from the native rendering of the Colonial name Gilbert Islands. Based on a 1995 realignment of the International Date Line, Kiribati is now the easternmost country in the world, and was the first country to enter into the year 2000 at Caroline Island, which, not coincidentally, has been renamed Millennium Island. Kiribati is expected to be the first country in which all land territory disappears due to global climate change. Tell me the name of another Line Island other than Malden Island (either Kiribati or administered by another country).

The Malden round will close about noonish (FT Time) on Wednesday, August 13. Have a great weekend.

#433255 - Fri Aug 08 2008 09:32 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 4 - Monday
"F. Scott Fitzgerald"
Six stand-up players this time !

1. Please tell me one of the eleven lines in the tune "Masculine Women, Feminine Men".

For 10 Points:
"Masculine women, feminine men," "Which is the rooster, which is the hen?", "Girls were girls and boys were boys when I was a tot," "Now we don't know who's who, even what's what!", "Nobody knows who's walking inside," "Those masculine women and feminine men!"

Pretty kooky song, eh? The other lines in it being: "It's hard to tell 'em apart today! And, say!", "Sister is busy learning to shave, Brother just got a permanent wave", "It's hard to tell 'em apart today! Hey, hey!", "Knickers and trousers, baggy and wide" ...

2. Kindly tell me an episode of "Timewatch" that first aired in the first four months of 2007.

For 10 Points:
The Hunt for U-864, Zeppelin: The First Blitz
For 5 Points:
The Hidden Children (2), The Wave that Destroyed Atlantis (2)

Beatlemania, Killer Cloud, Hadrian's Wall, The Last Duel, Remember the Galahad -and- Hijack were the others.

3. Please tell me one of the stories in the collection - and pick one without the name *Pat Hobby* in the title. Thanks!

For 10 Points:
A Man in the Way; No Harm Trying; Mightier Than the Sword; A Patriotic Short
For 5 Points:
Fun in an Artist's Studio (2)

The remaining stories are 'Boil Some Water - Lots of It', Teamed with Genius, The Homes of the Stars -and- Two Old-Timers.

4. [it's here that the words at his grave begin]. Pick one of those missing words (none of two- or three- letters, OK?)
Remaining text: So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past ...

For 10 Points:
Current, Past
For 5 Points:
Back (2), Beat (2)

5. Tell me a novel, aside from "Gatsby", that appears in the Top 5 on any of the lists of The 100 Best English-Language Novels of the 20th Century from that link.

For 10 Points:
1984 - George Orwell (1949), The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger (1951), A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man - James Joyce (1916), Ulysses - James Joyce (1922)
For 5 Points:
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley (1932) (2)

Lolita, The Grapes of Wrath, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Color Purple, Lord of the Rings, Gone with the Wind, Beloved -and- Catch 22 were also listed, here or there.

The Results!

45 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, denni19
40 Points! .... maninmidohio, nakarinna
35 Points! .... Mugaboo, szabs

Very close, yet again - but brandz_mygirl and denni19 managed to hold on to the top spot(s). Congratulations to them (and use that August point wisely !). Thanks, everyone, for playing this time.

Edited by Gatsby722 (Fri Aug 08 2008 09:34 AM)

#433256 - Sat Aug 09 2008 02:06 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 9 - - Saturday 9th August

As a huge Track fan, I've based the round on some of the track stars at the Olympic games.

1. The 100 meter Sprint always seems to be the most anticipated race. The year's fastest are Usian Bolt and Veronica Campbell-Brown (who carried the Jamaican flag at the opening ceremony). Both come from Trelawny Parish in Jamaica. Please name a beach in Trelawny Parish.

2. One of Polands track hopes is Marek Plawgo, who came third in the world championships last year in the 400 meter hurdles. Marak was born in Bytom in southern Poland, and his dream was to be a basketball player. To this end he changed schools to a specialist sports school. After attending for three weeks, Marek discovered that this school had given up specialising in basketball two years earlier, in consequence he took up track. Marek now lives in Wroclaw and his brother in one of the many polish workers in the UK, working in Dover. Bytom is a member of the Upper Silesian Metropolitan Union, please another member of the USMU

3. Kerron Clement is the favourite for the 400 meters hurdles. He was born in Port-of-Spain, and had an operation for Pyloric Stenosis when he was three days old. He then suffered from Synovitis aged 10, which flared up again after he joined the cross-counrty team after his family moved to Texas when he was 13. Name any hospital in Trinidad and Tobago.

4. Haule Gebrselassie, is not going in the Marathon as he fears the smog, so is runing the 10,000 meters instead. The winner in 1996 and 2000 will have a tougher time than then, as he did in 2004 when he came 5th. Haile opened the first private cinema in Ethiopia. Before this, all the cinemas were state owned, although there are a few more private cinemas now. He named his cinema after his wife Alem. Name one of the films on at the Alem Cinema on Bole Road, Addis Ababa.

5. Lolo Jones runs for the US in the 100 meters hurdles and is the fastest this season. She's scheduled to compete in the first round of the event on the 17th. On the same day, at the Iowa State Fair, there will be an ice carving demonstration, and guess who's being carved - yes Lolo Jones - Des Moines being her hometown (Although she's living in Baton Rouge at the moment). Please tell me any event that starts at 11am, on the 9th of August, at the Iowa State fair.

If you think I've given you a tough one this week, fear not, just PM me your concerns, and help will be on it's way.

#433257 - Sat Aug 09 2008 01:07 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 5 will be closing in approximately 10 hours time. (Sorry for the awkward timing, I meant to give a 'shout' at the 24 hour mark but forgot).

#433258 - Sat Aug 09 2008 11:32 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 5 is closed. Results (hopefully) soon.

#433259 - Sun Aug 10 2008 11:36 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 11 ~ Monday

What a thrill (for me, anyway)! One of my favorite actresses from w-a-y back in time got her very own "day" (back-to-back movies all day) on the TCM channel recently. Yep -- that's her in my avatar over there . It made for a blissful summer Sunday indeed. And carried over to the following ...

1. Early in the Twentieth Century Marie Dressler was a thriving star of the stage and had some success when the movies began (mostly in silent comedies, ala Mack Sennett). Like many, with sound came very few parts - and Dressler was no *beauty queen* type in a sea of 'em ... so she struggled. Then along came Belgian director Jacques Feyder, one of the founders of poetic realism in French cinema. Innovators take chances ~ and he certainly did by giving Marie an important part opposite a budding movie icon in the 1930 film Anna Christie. Her performance as an earthy barfly on the NYC waterfront was a hit, and she kept up with Garbo scene-by-scene. At 62, an (unexpected) movie star was 'born'! First up, please tell me another film (besides Anna Christie) directed by Jacques Feyder in or after 1930.

2. The public completely loved Miss Dressler. My hunch is that they could relate to her grounded demeanor, the NON-glamour. She was "touchable" and opened the 1930's as the number 1 box office draw for two years running. She also nabbed an Oscar (for Min and Bill) in 1932. The parts she earned got better and better, perhaps peaking with Dinner At Eight (1933) - a wildly intelligent comedy of manners that interestingly starred another popular favorite - this one a complete glamour puss (platinum blond hair and all) named Jean Harlow. Undaunted, Marie Dressler nearly stole the whole show - proving, once again, that substance almost always prevails . This time, please tell me the first or the last name (not both) of any actor who played a character surnamed Packard -or- Jordan in 1933's Dinner At Eight ...

3. The first *star* ever laid on the Hollywood Walk of Fame happened in 1960 - and, no, the recipient of it was not Marie Dressler (oddly enough, it was Miss Joanne Woodward who got the debut honor - a fine actress indeed, and deserving, but not whom I would have thought likely to be chosen over so many other stars of the day). Marie died in 1934, but several decades later she got her star on "The Walk", at 1731 Vine Street. She also has an annual film festival in her honor in her hometown, Cobourg, Ontario. Gone, but by no means forgotten! By the way, know what those *stars* on the sidewalk around Vine Street in Los Angeles are made of? As you ponder, please tell me a word of 5 letters, or more, that can be made using the letters in the two words TERRAZZO and BRASS.

4. This was the stuff I'm sure our Miss Dressler paid much attention to, in her day. She was an unflinching advocate for the underdog, the socially wronged - she was even blacklisted for a time after fighting for better working conditions for actors as the industry expanded. Ironically, the beginning of the tragic end to the "Bonus Army" happened two years to the day before she died. On July 28, 1932, President Herbert Hoover ordered troops to forcibly evict the throngs of World War I veterans gathered in Washington, D.C. A rather comprehensive summary of the protest can be read here - it was all about compensations promised, and then reneged on. Social unrest and widespread need in The Great Depression was enough to escalate the tensions wildly. MUCH later a far lesser compromise came than hoped for but, it seemed, the vets wanted mostly "to be heard, to be taken seriously". Kindly scan that article and tell me any monetary amount it mentions; i.e., $1.50 or $6 Bil(lion), etc. - your answer need have a number in it.

5. "The Life Story of an Ugly Duckling" is an autobiography by Marie Dressler, the title reflecting her life-long summation that she wasn't very pretty. In truth, she was quite fetching (and her turn in Dinner At Eight flaunted her elegance/class nicely - but she usually played women that traditional 'beauty' had little to do with). In the late 1990s a more investigative biography of her was written and was offered with few real ground-breaking discoveries, but a valid and fair dose of reverance was present throughout. It, too, was titled fittingly ... and its author was Betty Lee. Finally, please tell me an even-numbered chapter's title in Lee's book "Marie Dressler: The Unlikeliest Star".

This one'll close up on Friday at app. noon! Here's hoping the week ahead is kind to you all .

#433260 - Mon Aug 11 2008 12:36 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Aug 5 Round - Answers

A lovely group of 5 took part in A Bit of Stuff . Huge thanks to them for playing.

1) From here, please give me the title of a play George Bernard Shaw wrote that begins with a vowel.
For Ten Points: O’Flaherty V.C., On The Rocks, Annajanska the Bolshevik Empress, Overruled: A Demonstration, Augustus Does His Bit
10 Points All
Not mentioned: If I counted correctly, there are actually 6 more titles of plays that begin with a vowel, available via the link. Not going to list them here.

2) From the website of the UK National Lottery, under “Lotto”, please give me a winning ball number that happened on any Wednesday in the month of July 2008.
For Ten Points: 19, 22, 44
For Five Points: 26 (2)
Not mentioned: 2, 3, 4, 7, 9, 12, 15, 17, 18, 22, 23, 26, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 35, 39, 40, 42, 46, 49

3) From here, please give a non-culinary use of the coconut.
For Ten Points:
- Half coconut shells may be deployed as an improvised bra, especially for comedic effect or theatrical purposes.
- The stiff leaflet midribs can be used to make cooking skewers, kindling arrows, or are bound into bundles, brooms and brushes.
- A coconut can be hollowed out and used as a home for a rodent or small bird.
For Five Points:
- In the Philippines, dried half shells are used as a music instrument in a folk dance called maglalatik, a traditional dance about the conflicts for coconut meat within the Spanish era (2)
Not mentioned: 24 more uses listed on the link. Just a few of the more interesting ones…. Coconut water can be used as an intravenous fluid, Shirt buttons can be carved out of dried coconut shell, Fresh inner coconut husk can be rubbed on the lens of snorkelling goggles to prevent fogging during use.

4) From here, please give me one of ‘10 common English language errors’.
For Ten Points: Desert/Dessert
For Five Points: Lose/Loose (2), Dryer/Drier (2)
Not mentioned: Practice/Practise, Bought/Brought, Your/You’re, Its/It’s, Two/To/Too, Chose/Choose, Literally.

5) From here, please name a pepper that has less than one million Scoville Units on average.
For Ten Points: Poblano, Coronado, Rocotilla, Serrano, Jamaican Hot
Another Ten Points All
Not mentioned: 18 more peppers listed.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
45 points: Maninmidohio & Szabs

Second Place:
40 points: Mugaboo, Gatsby & Denni

I always like my Mondays to be ‘gentle’ days, it’s an indication (to me) that the week ahead will be peaceful. It’s not always true and sometimes lousy Mondays can end in a good week. Still, I like my ‘gentle Mondays’ and would like all of you to have a similarly great start to the week. Therefore, ‘Gentle Monday Everyone!’.

#433261 - Mon Aug 11 2008 09:09 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 7 will be closing in just about 26 hours...

#433262 - Mon Aug 11 2008 09:52 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

I'll close Wednesday 6th in 24 hours. Plenty of time for more answers

#433263 - Tue Aug 12 2008 12:21 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Round 8, the Malden Round , will close in a little less than 24 hours. Plenty of time for veterans and new players to get in their answers.

#433264 - Tue Aug 12 2008 01:14 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 6 August results
Q1 A boy’s name beginning with Y
For Ten Points
Yorick, Yngve, Yomaris, Yancy, Yuta, Yuuki,
For Five Points
Ten points to all
Not mentioned

Q2 A girls name beginning with Y
For Ten Points
Ynez, Yvette, Yobanis, Yolanda, Yesenia, Yeghisapet
For Five Points
Ten points to all

Q3 A profession beginning with Y
For Ten Points
Yardman, Youth Hostel owner, Yu player (Chinese wind instrument), Yarn sorter, Yellowstone Park Ranger, Yegg,
For Five Points
Ten points to all

Q4 A FICTIONAL character with the first name or surname beginning with Y
For Ten Points
Yancy Derringer, Queen Yishana (from Elric of Melniboné by Michael Moorcock), Yvette Carte-Blanche “ character on TV series Allo Allo”, Yarblek (character from ‘The Belgariad’ series), Rowdy Yates (in that old TV series "Rawhide" - played by Clint Eastwood), Jia Yingchun (novel: "Dream of the Red Chamber"),
For Five Points
Ten points to all

Q5 Any animal beginning with Y
For Ten Points
Yorkshire terrier, Yellow bellied weasel, Yellowtail tamarind, Yellow-eyed penguin, Yokohama (breed of chicken), Yun Bao ( alternate name for the clouded leopard),
For Five Points
Ten points to all

SCORES
Brandz_mygirl
Gatsby - 50
Maninmidohio – 50
Mugaboo – 50
Nakarinna – 50
Szabs – 50

Well done to all!

#433265 - Tue Aug 12 2008 03:04 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Tuesday Aug 12 – quiz

A Bit of Stuff about Singapore

1) Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve is Singapore’s only protected wetland reserve. Birdwatchers love this place but be warned, mosquitoes abound. From its website, please tell me any of the tips for visitors under the section “Be friendly to the reserve”.

2) 9 August was a public holiday in Singapore to celebrate its independence.Please give me the name of another public holiday in Singapore.

3) Singapore is a member of the Association of South East Asian Nations, commonly referred to as ASEAN, an organization that promotes peace and economic growth amongst its members and in the region. Please name a member country, other than Singapore, of ASEAN.

4) Lee Kuan Yew, Prime Minister of Singapore from 1959 to 1990, Minister Mentor to the current government and also known as the “father of Singapore”. Please give me the name of any of Lee Kuan Yew’s grandchildren.

5) Please give me a word of 6-or-more letters that can be made from the letters in “SINGAPORE”. Plurals are acceptable.

This round will close on Saturday 16 August at midnight FT time.

#433266 - Wed Aug 13 2008 05:47 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 13 ~ Wednesday

A recent "news event" was the inspiration today . How on Earth do people end up like this ? Honestly ... given such 'stuff', no wonder so many think we Americans are off-the-charts sometimes!
Quote:

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) - Jacksonville police say Reginald Peterson needs to learn that 911 is not the appropriate place to complain that Subway left the sauce off a spicy Italian sandwich. Police said the 42-year-old man dialed 911 twice on August 5 so he could have his sub made correctly. The second call was to complain that officers weren't arriving fast enough. Subway workers told police Peterson became belligerent and yelled when they were fixing his order. They locked him out of the store after he left to call police. When officers arrived, they tried to calm Peterson and explain the proper use of 911. Those efforts failed, and he was arrested on a charge of making false 911 calls.

1. In 1968, AT&T chose a US emergency number which was brief, easy to remember, and worked well with the phone systems in place. The number 9-1-1 was chosen for its similarity to the already-used 2-1-1 (long distance), 4-1-1 ("directory assistance"), and 6-1-1 (repair service) ~ AND it was difficult to dial accidentally because the numbers "9" and "1" were on opposite ends of a phone's rotary dial. Most people avoid it, unless it's absolutely necessary - opting to waylay medical attention with items at home (as a general rule). According to the Red Cross website, please tell me an item they recommend a first aid kit for a family of four should have in it - and pick something of which more than one is suggested having on-hand. Note: the answers 'scissors' and 'tweezers' don't count as 'more than one'.

2. Jacksonville is the largest city in the state of Florida, in terms of both area and population. Since '68, as a result of the consolidation of the city/county governments (and a corresponding expansion of the city limits to include almost an entire county), Jacksonville has been the largest city in land area in the contiguous United States. Said consolidation also gave it the largest American urban park system. Very inviting city! For example, The Jacksonville Jazz Festival (each April) is the 2nd largest jazz fest in the nation and experts call it one of the 20 best in the country. I'd like to know one of the ten most recent inductees into The Jacksonville Jazz Festival Hall of Fame.

3. Fred De Luca borrowed $1,000 from a family friend to start his first sandwich shop in 1965, when he was only 17 years old - trying to raise money to pay for college. He chose a mediocre location, but by noon on opening day, customers were pouring in. Radio advertisements promoted the name as "Pete's Submarines", which sounded like Pizza Marines, so it was changed/shortened to just "Subway". As of June 2nd, 2008, the company has 29,000+ franchised locations in 87 countries and Forbes magazine named De Luca #242 of the 400 richest Americans with a net worth of $1.5 billion. Not bad for a mere lad, eh ? Have a look at the Subway menu and tell me a sandwich in their Hot & Fresh Toasted -or- 'Fresh Fit' categories. Don't choose Spicy Italian, though. They forget sauce on those and civil disturbances could happen if you get one [ahem] ...

4. On August 5, 1962, exactly 46 years PRIOR to this absurd 'Subway' incident, a truly historic arrest was made. Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela was apprehended after living on the run for 17 months, charged with leading workers to strike in 1961 and leaving South Africa illegally. He ultimately spent 27 years in prison for crimes that included 'sabotage' committed while he led the struggle against apartheid. Since his release in 1990 Mr. Mandela's a symbol of freedom and equality, his policies of reconciliation and negotiation having helped lead to multi-racial democracy in South Africa. Kindly tell me the name of one of Nelson Madela's wives or one of his children (two of his daughters have the same name - if you choose one of 'em, please give their birthdate, too, OK?).

5. Well ... that about covers the keywords in that article - except one. The bottom line, in my opinion? 9-1-1 ought to use the jerk on 'public information' posters all over the country - as a perfect example of how not to clog up a system to the point of possibly endangering someone in REAL duress. Jacksonville ought to send him packin'. And Subway? Give the dude a job ~ an unpleasant one (maybe cleaning bathrooms) in a cold city's unfriendliest neighborhood. No need to bring Nelson Mandela into it, I reckon. He already knows how to be important for all the right reasons. Yep. Just this Reginald Peterson bonehead unmentioned. Blech . How about you tell me somebody, anybody still alive and somehow famous whose initials are R.P.. And kindly don't choose our misguided sandwich shop "victim" ...

This odd mess of current events will close on Sunday, early afternoon. Have yourselves a fine, fine today, OK?

#433267 - Wed Aug 13 2008 12:51 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Round 8 – Malden

Thank you to the six searchers who successfully sought the secrets of Malden.

1. Through the official web site of the City of Malden, MA, tell me a city department listed under Operations.

For 10 Points
– Government Center Commission

For 5 Points - Mayor's Office (3) and Public Facilities (2)

Not Chosen - Cemetery, Department of Public Works, Engineering, Planning & Waterworks, Human Resources, Information Technology, Law Office, and Retirement

2. Wikipedia lists an impressive number of records, awards, and sporting positions that Thompson either won or held. Please tell me a person that held one of these titles either immediately before or immediately after Daly.

For 10 Points
– Ian Botham, Sebastian Coe, Steve Cram ,Jürgen Hingsen, Rainer Pottel, and Torsten Voss (Way to go – 10 points all!)

Not Chosen
- Bruce Jenner, Guido Kratschmer, Carl Lewis, and Dan O'Brien

3. From the imdb listing for "A Streetcar Named Desire" give me another actor (besides Karl Malden) who was in the film.

For 10 Points
– Vivien Leigh and Richard Garrick

For 5 Points - Rudy Bond (2) and Nick Dennis (2)

Not Chosen - Marlon Brando, Kim Hunter, Peg Hillias, Wright King, Ann Dere, Edna Thomas, and Mickey Kuhn

4. Tell me the name of a special arrangement that can be ordered (at Malden Florists) for the “New Baby” that does not start out with “Teleflora.”

For 10 Points

Basket & Bear Arrangement, Celebrating Baby Girl, It's a Boy! Basket, and
Rose and Lily Splendor

For 5 Points - Joyful Roses and Daisies (2)

Not Chosen - Posy Basket, Yellow and Lavender Delight, Mother's Roses, Sweet Sentiments, and Jubilee Basket

5. Tell me the name of another Line Island other than Malden Island (either Kiribati or administered by another country).

For 10 Points
– Tabuaeran (Fanning Island), Jarvis Island, Starbuck Island, and Caroline Island

For 5 Points - Teraina (Washington Island) (2)

Not Chosen - Kingman Reef, Palmyra Atoll, Kiritimati (Christmas Island), Filippo Reef, Vostok Island, and Flint Island

The Results:

With 45 Points: szabs (Good Work!)
With 40 Points: Mugaboo, nakarinna, brandz_mygirl, and denni9
With 30 Points: Gatsby722

Walking away with one Trivia Point for the month of August is our sole winner, szabs. Thanks again to everyone for playing.

#433268 - Wed Aug 13 2008 05:51 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 7 Results

5 players entered this round…

1. There are a total of nine books in this series; please take a look at this site and choose another book from the series.

For 10 points: ”A Hell of a Dog,” “This Dog for Hire,” “The Long Good Boy”

For 5 points: “Without a Word” (2)

Not mentioned: "Lady Vanishes," "The Wrong Dog," "Fall Guy," "The Hard Way"

2. Please visit this site and pick a rope characteristic from this list (just the headings will be fine).

For 10 points: Weight, Diameter

For 5 points: Length (3)

Not mentioned: Dynamic versus Static, Dry versus Non-Dry, UIAA Falls, Impact Force, Static Elongation

3. Please visit the Rear Window website and name one of the ‘Rear Window Artists’ listed there.

For 10 points: “Fathead” Newman, Terry Adams, Combustible Edison

For 5 points: Scott Riebling (2)

Not mentioned: Susan Tedeschi, Barrence Whitfield, Superhoney, and others

4. Please tell me the title of another track from U2’s eleventh studio album, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.

For 10 points: “City of Blinding Lights,” “One Step Closer,” “Original of the Species”

For 5 points: “Love and Peace or Else” (2)

Not mentioned: "Miracle Drug," "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own," "All Because of You,” and others

5. Please select another individual who received this award during the same ceremony as Mr. Stewart.

For 10 points: Chuck Yeager, Jeane Kirkpatrick, George Low

For 5 points: Jacques-Yves Cousteau (2)

Not Mentioned: Count Basie, Jerome Holland, Sidney Hook, and others

Scores:

With 40 points: Mugaboo, maninmidohio, szabs, brandz_mygirl
With 35 points: Gatsby722

Congratulations to Mugaboo, maninmidohio, szabs, and brandz_mygirl for winning one August trivia point each!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002