Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#433269 - Thu Aug 14 2008 07:40 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 14 - Thursday

Today's theme is gymnastics...

1. The uneven bars is an apparatus used in women’s gymnastics competitions. It consists of an upper bar 245 cm (~8 feet) high, and a lower bar 165 cm (~5.5 feet) high. Uneven bars routines are comprised of intricate mixes of handstands, glides, giants, flyaways, release moves, transitions, and turning elements. Please visit this website and pick a release move listed there. (N.B. If a skill is listed with multiple names, each name will count as a separate answer – so please choose only one name.)

2. Jury Chechi is a retired Italian gymnast who specialized in the still rings, an event that requires tremendous strength and endurance.. For this reason, Chechi gained the nickname “The Lord of the Rings.” Chechi competed in a number of international events. Please give me a medal that Chechi won for rings (location and year) at either the Olympic Games OR the World Championships.

3. Floor exercise is one of the two events performed in both men’s and women’s gymnastics, although there are some variations in the rules between the two. The floor exercise is the gymnast’s best chance to demonstrate their tumbling skills. Please name a gymnast – male or female – who won gold in the individual floor exercise competition in the any of the last four Olympic Games (Barcelona through Athens).

4. The vault is the second of the two events that is included in male and female gymnastics. Unlike floor exercise, the vault is essentially the same event for men and women – the main difference is a 10 cm difference in height within the vault apparatus. Please visit this website and tell me either (a) a phase of a vault OR (b) a type of vault listed on the page.

5. In 2005, the gymnastics scoring system was completely overhauled in order to award gymnasts a greater variety of scores that more appropriately reflect the gymnasts’ abilities. If you’ve been watching these Olympics, you may have noted that, so far, the new scoring system has mostly confused spectators and lengthened scoring times. However, this may just be the ‘learning’ phase. To find out more about the new scoring, please visit the Beijing Olympics website and give me one of the sections within the scoring overview (headings are on the blue bars).

This round will close on Tuesday August 19th at noon FT time. Please PM me with any questions. Good luck!

(edited to correct a typo in Q2...)

Edited by nakarinna (Mon Aug 18 2008 08:19 AM)

#433270 - Thu Aug 14 2008 09:35 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Hi ho! Approximately 12 hours to go for Round 11 ...

#433271 - Fri Aug 15 2008 05:00 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 9 - 5 played

1. Please name a beach in Trelawny Parish, Jamaica.
For 10 points: Burwood; Flamingo; Grand Lido Braco; Rio Bueno; Silver Sands
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned: Braco, Half Moon Bay and Victoria beaches complete the public beaches - there are other private beaches.

2. Bytom is a member of the Upper Silesian Metropolitan Union, please another member of the USMU.
For 10 points: Piekary Slaskie; Swietochlowice; Zabrze
For 5 points: Ruda Slaska [2]
Not mentioned: Chorzów; Dabrowa Górnicza; Gliwice; Jaworzno; Katowice; Myslowice; Siemianowice Slaskie; Sosnowiec; Tychy

3. Name any hospital in Trinidad and Tobago.
For 10 points: Caura Chest Hospital; Mayaro District Hospital; Point Fortin District Hospital; Sangre Grande County Hospital; Tobago Regional Hospital
Not mentioned include: Twelve more to choose from.

4. Name one of the films on at the Alem Cinema on Bole Road, Addis Ababa.
For 10 points: Albo; Hareg; Yebahere Bire; Yewendoch Guday; Yifelegal
Not mentioned include: Kenan; Mezeze; Zemenu - I allowed answers from those on the official site (A bit out of date) as well as the current selection

5. Please tell me any event that starts at 11am, on the 9th of August, at the Iowa State fair.
For 10 points: Companion Animal Surgery; Ice Sculpting Demonstrations with Elegant Ice Creations; Rubber Stamp Art Techniques; SNAFU Rock Band; Tupperware… So Much More than Plastic Bowls
Not mentioned: Many more to choose from.

Scores:
50 points: Gatsby722; Nakarinna; Szabs
45 points: Brandz_mygirl; Maninmidohio

Hard work getting that Trelawny question, so all of you deserve a big cheer, but perhaps slightly louder for our three point winners Gatsby, Nakarinna and Szabs.

#433272 - Fri Aug 15 2008 07:12 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 15

Bridges are truly ubiquitous -- a natural part of everyday life. Bridges are not only the superstars of the engineering world, they influence the development of cultures, environments and lives in more ways than we can count A well-built bridge suggests steadiness, reliability, and yes, more than a little measure of permanence. So Let’s dedicate this round to Towers & Bridges.

1. A tower is a tall man-made structure, always taller than it is wide, and usually much higher. Towers are generally built to take advantage of their height and can stand alone or as part of a larger structure. Please give me the name and height of a tower including its pinnacle that is higher than 350 metres or 1.147 feet.

2. The World Federation of Great Towers (WFGT) is an association of tall towers and skyscrapers from around the world. It was created in 1989. The key criterion for inclusion in the WFGT is that the building in question must have a public observation deck. From the WFGT site please give me the name and location of a Member Tower.

3. A bridge is a structure built to span a gorge, valley, road, railroad track, river, body of water, or any other physical obstacle, for the purpose of providing passage over the obstacle. Designs of bridges will vary depending on the function of the bridge and the nature of the terrain where the bridge is to be constructed. From the Wikipedia Bridge site I would like you to go the Visual Index and give me a type of bridge.

4. Double-decker bridges are those that have two levels, they can be used either for traffic, pedestrians or trains. Would you be so kind and give me the name and location of a double-decker bridge.

5. From the Famous Bridge site , please give me the name, location and length of a bridge on their index page that is in RED.

This round will close on Wed. 20th of August in the afternoon FT time. In the meantime enjoy yourselves wherever you are.

#433273 - Fri Aug 15 2008 01:20 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 11 - Monday
"Marie Dressler"
Six faultless and fine players this time

1. First up, please tell me another film (besides Anna Christie) directed by Jacques Feyder in or after 1930.

For 10 Points:
Les Gens du voyage (1938), Die Klugen Frauen (1936), Matura-Reise (1946), Son of India (1931)
For 5 Points:
Le Grand jeu (1934) (2)

The others were: La Loi du nord (1939), Fahrendes Volk (1938), Knight Without Armour (1937), La Kermesse héroïque (1935), Pension Mimosas (1935), Révolte dans la prison (1931), Daybreak (1931), Olympia (1930), Si l'empereur savait ça (1930) and Le Spectre vert (1930).

2. This time, please tell me the first or the last name (not both) of any actor who played a character surnamed Packard -or- Jordan in 1933's Dinner At Eight ...

For 10 Points:
Barrymore, Beery, Billie, Burke, Lionel, Madge

The full names of the qualifying actors are Wallace Beery, Jean Harlow, Lionel Barrymore, Billie Burke and Madge Evans.

3. As you ponder, please tell me a word of 5 letters, or more, that can be made using the letters in the two words TERRAZZO and BRASS.

For 10 Points:
ABASE, ERRATA, RASTERS, SABRE, SOBER, STORE

4. Anyway, scan that article and tell me any monetary amount it mentions; i.e., $1.50 or $6 Bil(lion), etc. - your answers will have a number in it, in other words.

For 10 Points:
$50, $95 million, $112 million, $896 million, $2.390 billion, $3.638 billion

The various amounts ranged from $1.25 all the way up to nearly $4 billion!

5. Finally, please tell me an even-numbered chapter's title in Lee's book "Marie Dressler: The Unlikeliest Star".

For 10 Points:
First Taste of Drama, Queen Marie, War Work, The Working Girl
For 5 Points:
Theatrical Aristocrat (2)

'Champion of the Underdog', 'Marie Dressler's Merry Gambol', 'Marie's Nightmare', 'The Treatment', 'God's Exhibit A to the World' -and- 'And to All Goodnight' are also in the book.

The Results!

50 Points! .... maninmidohio, nakarinna
45 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, denni19, Mugaboo, szabs

Very much a photo finish there (the prevailing factors ending up an old French film and a chapter in a rather obscure biography, no less ). Well done, everyone - and a special tip o' the hat to maninmidohio and nakarinna today!

#433274 - Sat Aug 16 2008 10:57 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Hi all, a note to say that Round 12 will be closing in 12 hours. That's it from me for now. Bye.

#433275 - Sun Aug 17 2008 01:16 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Just got back....Round 12 is closed. Results as soon as I can get it out.

#433276 - Sun Aug 17 2008 09:30 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 13 - Wednesday
"Submarine Sandwich Incident"
Six sensible players (with or without 'sauce' ) joined in!

1. According to the Red Cross website, please tell me an item they recommend a first aid kit for a family of four should have in it - and pick something of which more than one is suggested having on-hand.

For 10 Points:
2 absorbent compress dressings (5 x 9 inches), 2 packets of aspirin (81 mg each)
For 5 Points:
5 antiseptic wipe packets (2), 2 pair of nonlatex gloves (size: large) (2)

Lots of other sizes/types of gauze and bandages and ointments and miscellaneous packets of 'stuff' available to pick from, of course .

2. I'd like to know one of the ten most recent inductees into The Jacksonville Jazz Festival Hall of Fame.

For 10 Points:
Ira Koger, 2000 - funded a Distinguished Professorship in Music and endowed the School of American Music/Jazz at the University of North Florida; Longineu Parsons, 2006 - musician/composer considered one of the world's finest trumpet players
For 5 Points:
Von Barlow, 2007 - for his dedication to the annual Jacksonville Jazz Festival and The Great American Jazz Piano competition (2); Dick Brown, 2004 - executive producer for a public affairs TV series (2)

Bill Prince, Teddy Washington, Cecil Cole, Vic DiGenti, Elaine Brown, Marcus Roberts and Rich Matteson round out the recent inductees list.

3. Have a look at the Subway menu and tell me a sandwich in their Hot & Fresh Toasted -or- 'Fresh Fit' categories. Don't choose Spicy Italian, though.

For 10 Points:
Meatball Marinara, Oven Roasted Chicken Breast, Roast Beef, Steak & Cheese, Subway Club, Veggie Delite

Or, if you'd have rathered, there's also the Ham, Turkey Breast, Turkey Breast & Ham, Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki, Italian BMT, Subway Melt -and- Chicken & Bacon Ranch sandwiches, too.

4. Kindly tell me the name of one of Nelson Mandela's wives or one of his children (two of his daughters have the same name - if you choose one of 'em, please give their birthdate, too, OK?).

For 10 Points:
Makaziwe (born 1947), Winnie Madikizela-Mandela (Second Wife), Zenani (Zeni) (born 1958), Zindziswa (Zindzi) (born 1960)
For 5 Points:
Madiba Thembekile (Thembi) (born 1946) (2)

Evelyn Ntoko Mase (first wife), Makgatho Lewanika (born 1950), Makaziwe (born 1953) & Graça Machel née Simbine (third wife) are the remaining branches on his family tree.

5. How about you tell me somebody, anybody still alive and somehow famous whose initials are R.P.. And kindly don't choose our misguided sandwich shop "victim" ...

For 10 Points:
Ray Parker, Jr. (guitarist, songwriter, producer and recording artist), Robert Pattison (English actor, model and musician, known for playing Cedric Diggory in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire), Roberta Peters (American operatic soprano), Romina Power (singer & actress; daughter of Tyrone Power)
For 5 Points:
Robert Plant (English rock singer and songwriter, ala Led Zeppelin) (2)

The Results!

50 Points! .... nakarinna
40 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, denni19, maninmidohio, szabs
30 Points! .... Mugaboo

The results there suggest that there is a collective effort to steal Mr. Mugaboo's answers ! Just kidding, of course - but thank you all for playing. And [hearty] *congrats!* to nakarinna for a perfect score and for sitting atop the leaderboard all by herself this time! Well done!

#433277 - Sun Aug 17 2008 10:18 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Aug 12 Round - Answers

Thank you to the 6 who took part in A Bit of Stuff about Singapore .

1) From (Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve’s) website, please tell me any of the tips for visitors under the section “Be friendly to the reserve”.
For Ten Points: Do not smoke, Be as quiet as possible
For Five Points: Keep to walking trails (2), Take nothing but photographs (2)
Not mentioned: Leave nothing but footprints, Take care of reserve property, Do not bring pets, radio or bicycles into the reserve

2) Please give me the name of another public holiday (other than National Day) in Singapore.
For Ten Points: Labour Day, Good Friday, Christmas
For Five Points: Vesak Day (3)
Not mentioned: New Year’s Day, Chinese New Year, Hari Raya Puasa, Deepavali, Hari Raya Haji

3) Please name a member country, other than Singapore, of ASEAN.
For Ten Points: Malaysia, Laos, Vietnam, Brunei
For Five Points: Cambodia (2)
Not mentioned: Burma (I think Wikipedia may be a bit outdated, should be called Myanmar), Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand

4) Please give me the name of any of Lee Kuan Yew’s grandchildren.
For Ten Points: Li Shengwu, Li Huanwu, Li Hongyi, Li Shaowu
For Five Points: Lee Yi Peng (2)
Not mentioned: Lee Xiu Qi, Li Haoyi

5) Please give me a word of 6-or-more letters that can be made from the letters in “SINGAPORE”.
For Ten Points: Spearing, Sprang, Praise, Parsing, Perigon, Easing
Ten Points All! And very nice words too!
Not mentioned: Sparing, Reigns, Prison, Reason, Singer, Reaping and probably lots more words

RESULTS!

Top Place:
Taking first place with a great
50 points: Gatsby Now we have Mr. Gats at the top of the leaderboard himself. Great work sir!

Other results:
45 points: Maninmidohio & Nakarinna
40 points: Mugaboo
35 points: Denni
30 points: Szabs

Gentle Monday everyone.

#433278 - Mon Aug 18 2008 04:18 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 18 ~ Monday

I didn't hear about any "lunatic fringe" customers at otherwise harmless sandwich shops over here in the past few days ... so decided to let the random Trivial Pursuit card(s) do the "theming" (more or less) for me. Again .

1. Science & Nature - What does an Alabama-approved disclaimer in biology textbooks describe as only "a controversial theory"? Hmm. Maybe Evolution is a theory to THEM - elsewhere on the non-Alabaman planet, it's more than a mere theory. But they keep Hitler's typewriter [?] on exhibit in Alabama, I'm told. Clearly, a dubious bunch . To most, the word evolution harkens Charles Darwin, who raised quite a ruckus with his 1859 book, originally titled "On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life", which put the whole matter in the spotlight. Please tell me a word of 7 letters or more in the last sentence of "Origin of the Species"! Hint: if you use Gutenberg to reference, the book's last page comes after 230, but before 240 ...

2. People & Places - What major city is close to the middle of the Iberian Peninsula? Madrid must be a beautiful place! Birthplace of legendary Spanish writer Miguel De Cervantes? The work of Pablo Picasso on display, The Bernabeu stadium, Puerta del Sol, the majesty of The Sierra de Guadarrama? Let's mention, too, The Teatro Real there. Literally, it means 'Royal Theater' and is an opera house opened in 1850. It's one of the world's finest stage and acoustic settings for opera as well! The Teatro Real is located just in front of the Palacio Real, the official residence of the Kings of Spain. On its website, there's a slideshow (it shows on each page, same "show" on each) highlighting 5 operas [and one ballet]. Tell me the name of any of those OPERAS or the composer of one of 'em.

3. Arts & Entertainment - What country music star admitted she used to rouge her lips with 'Mercurochrome'? It's no secret that I admire Dolly Parton, despite the often 'silly' demeanor she carries around so unashamedly. She's *real* (OK, with a lapse or two), she's talented and she's kind. I also may be the only one who remembers her happily in the 1982 film The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. Not a great movie, I suppose, but there was an endearing sweetness to it that found me. Parton was nominated for a Golden Globe for it, too ~ as Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical. Kindly tell me another nominee (the person) in that category the year Dolly was up for "Whorehouse". Or, if you wish, from the same category the next year. Thank you!

4. Sports & Leisure - What city's sports team thought it wise to change its name from Bullets to Wizards? Probably not a good idea for Washington, D.C. to get at all sporty when referring to bullets, eh? The crime rate there is huge (accd.g to the FBI stats of 2006, it's the #7 least safe city in the USA) and, quite frankly, so very many politicians run the risk of inciting an assassination with each word they utter. The Willard InterContinental Washington is a fine spot there, though. The hotel is located in the heart of Washington DC, near government and business offices, within walking distance to several Washington theater districts - and the White House is just two blocks away. The Willard Room in it is a well-respected restaurant, too! Please tell me a food item on the *Coastal Catches* section of the Taste of America Brunch there.

5. Wild Card - What Julie Andrews movie was Chairman Mao's widow accused of watching every night in a 1980-81 trial? There is NO way I'm going to write a question about one of my least favorite movies [that everybody else seems to love]. So, no 'stuff' about The Sound of Music today. I will mention Dame Julie Andrews, though! "100 Greatest Britons" was broadcast in 2002 by the BBC, the result of a vote conducted to determine whom the UK public considered the greatest Brits in history. It was one crazy list, too ! Some of the 'notables' weren't even British! But, naturally, public polls are never substantially scientific (and are taken with a bit o' salt). Dame Julie came in at #59! A magical nanny/singing nun bested a former Beatle and even some notable Royals? Go figure. Please tell me someone ranked #60 to #69, inclusively, on "100 Greatest Britons" - just after Julie Andrews.

This'll be open until Friday at noon! See ya then, or sooner ! ...

#433279 - Mon Aug 18 2008 10:47 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 14 will be closing in just over 24 hours...

#433280 - Wed Aug 20 2008 12:00 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Tuesday Aug 19 – quiz
A bit of stuff in honour of Singapore’s women table-tennis team that won a silver in the Beijing Olympics team finals. This is Singapore’s second ever Olympic medal, the first was another silver for weightlifting in the 1960 Games. A long wait for number 2.

1) “My momma always said, "Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.” An often quoted line from the 1994 “Forrest Gump” which had some interesting shots of Forrest playing table-tennis against the China Chinese. I am very fond of chocolates and recently had the joy of devouring a box of Thornton’s almost all by myself. Please proceed to Thornton’s website, look for the “Master Chocolatier’s Selections” under “Personalised Gifts” and give me any of the chocolates shown there that has 2 words in its name.

2) From here, please give me an application for silver. Just the heading will do. One application that is not stated in the link (and an important one if you’re going to be travelling in the world of Harry Potter anytime ) is that silver can be used to kill or severely injure a werewolf.

3) Andrew Albert Christian Edward turned 48 on February 19 and is currently fourth in line to the British throne behind his brother Charles and his nephews, William and Harry. Prince Andrew holds the title Duke of York, usually given to the second son of the British monarch and an interesting bit of trivia from Wikipedia is that since 1474 the holders of the title Duke of York have never transmitted it, having either died without male heirs or ascended to the throne themselves. Please give me the names of any Dukes of York since 1474, excluding the current one of course.

4) Michael Phelps won 8 gold medals in the 2008 Beijing Olympics, an extraordinary feat. While the world’s media attention is on him, can you please give me the name of any individual or team that came in second in any of the races that Michael Phelps won gold in the 2008 Olympics.Please also include the name of the race.

5) From here, can you please give me any of the Top 100 Hits of 1960 that is numbered from 1 to 10.

This round will close at midnight FT time on Saturday 23 August. Thanks for reading this post. Hope you’ll be able to play.

Edited by brandz_mygirl (Sat Aug 23 2008 12:45 PM)

#433281 - Wed Aug 20 2008 01:10 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 20 August
Q1 A film with pink in the title
Q2 A song title with pink in the title
Q3 A book title with pink in the title
Q4 Something that is traditionally pink
Q5 Something you can eat which is pink

This round closes over the weekend!

#433282 - Wed Aug 20 2008 05:22 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Just a little note to say Round 15 will be closing in 10 hours, and there is plenty of space for late entries.

#433283 - Wed Aug 20 2008 10:21 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 14 Results

6 players entered this round…

1. Please visit this website and pick a release move listed there.

For 10 points: Hindorff, Counter Kim, Hristkieva, Xiao Ruzhi

For 5 points: Kim Salto (2)

Not mentioned: Comaneci, Deltchev, Def, Mo Salto, Gaylord

2. Please give me a medal that Chechi won for rings (location and year) at either the Olympic Games OR the World Championships.

For 10 points: 1989 Stuttgart World Championships (Bronze), 1991 Indianapolis World Championships (Bronze), 1994 Brisbane World Championships (Gold)

For 5 points: 1996 San Juan World Championships (Gold) – (3)

Not mentioned: 1996 Atlanta Olympics (Gold), 2004 Athens Olympics (Bronze), 1993 Birmingham World Championships (Gold), 1995 Sabae World Championships (Gold), 1997 Losanna World Championships (Gold)

3. Please name a gymnast – male or female – who won gold in the individual floor exercise competition in the any of the last four Olympic Games (Barcelona through Athens).

For 10 points: Elena Zamolodchikova (Russia, 2000); Catalina Ponor (Romania, 2004)

For 5 points: Ioannis Melissanidis (Greece, 1996) – (2); Li Xiaoshuang (China, 1992) - (2)

Not mentioned: Igors Vihrovs (Latvia, 2000); Kyle Shewfelt (Canada, 2004); Lavinia Milosovici (Romania, 1992); Lilia Podkopayeva (Ukraine, 1996)

4. Please visit this website and tell me either (a) a phase of a vault OR (b) a type of vault listed on the page.

For 10 points: The Post-Flight, The Landing, The Pre-Flight, Contact with the Table

For 5 points: Yurchenko/round-off entry (2)

Not mentioned: Front handspring style, Tsukahara/quarter turn, The Run

5. To find out more about the new scoring, please visit the Beijing Olympics website and give me one of the sections within the scoring overview.

For 10 points: Neutral Deductions, Inquiries, Difficulty Score (A Panel), Who's to judge?, Scoring Basics, Determining the final score

For 5 points: none

Not Mentioned: Execution Score (B Panel)

Scores:

With 45 points: brandz_mygirl, denni19
With 40 points: maninmidohio, Gatsby722, Mugaboo
With 35 points: szabs

Congratulations to brandz_mygirl and denni19 for winning one August trivia point each!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

Edited by nakarinna (Wed Aug 20 2008 10:22 AM)

#433284 - Thu Aug 21 2008 05:23 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 15

6 Great players participated in this round dedicated to Bridges and Towers, a well-built bridge suggests steadiness, reliability, and yes, more than a little measure of permanence.

1. A tower is a tall man-made structure, always taller than it is wide, and usually much higher. Towers are generally built to take advantage of their height and can stand alone or as part of a larger structure. Please give me the name and height of a tower including its pinnacle that is higher than 350 metres or 1.147 feet.

For 10 Points : Griffin Television Tower Oklahoma USA, Kiev TV Tower Ukraine, Tashkent Tower Uzbekistan, CN Tower Toronto Canada
For 5 Points: Riga Radio and TV Tower Latvia (2)
Among Others not Mentioned: Ostankino Tower, Menara Kuala Lumpur, Liberation Tower.

2. The World Federation of Great Towers (WFGT) is an association of tall towers and skyscrapers from around the world. It was created in 1989. The key criterion for inclusion in the WFGT is that the building in question must have a public observation deck. From the WFGT site please give me the name and location of a Member Tower.

10 Points To All : Fernsehturm Berlin, Donauturm Vienna, Rialto Towers Melbourne, Macau Tower China, Central Radio & TV Tower – Beijing, John Hancock Center Chicago
Among Others not Mentioned:
Empire State Building New York, Sky Tower Auckland, Ostankino Tower Moscow.

3. A bridge is a structure built to span a gorge, valley, road, railroad track, river, body of water, or any other physical obstacle, for the purpose of providing passage over the obstacle. Designs of bridges will vary depending on the function of the bridge and the nature of the terrain where the bridge is to be constructed. From the Wikipedia Bridge site I would like you to go the Visual Index and give me a type of bridge.

10 Points to All : Plate Girder Bridge, Box Girder Bridge, Compression arch suspended-deck bridge, Step-Stone Bridge, Side-spar cable-stayed bridge, Arch Bridge
Among Others not Mentioned: Stressed ribbon bridge, Cable-stayed bridge, Pigtail bridge, Suspension bridge

4. Double-decker bridges are those that have two levels, they can be used either for traffic, pedestrians or trains. Would you be so kind and give me the name and location of a double-decker bridge.
10 Points To All : Washington Avenue Bridge - Minneapolis, Oberbaumbrucke Bridge, Berlin - Germany, Seddon double-decker bridge Marlborough - New Zealand, Dom Luis I Bridge in Porto – Portugal, Highline Bridge Kansas City, Kansas , Brent Spence Bridge, Cincinnati, Ohio
Among Others not Mentioned: Oakland Bay Bridge, San Francisco, Craigavon Bridge, Derry, Northern Ireland, Whirlpool Rapids Bridge Niagara Falls, Fort Pitt Bridge Pittsburgh, Nanjing Yangtze River Bridge China.

5. From the Famous Bridge site , please give me the name, location and length of a bridge on their index page that is in RED.

10 Points To All : Ting Kau – Hong Kong 1,558ft, Bayonne – New Jersey/New York 1,652 ft, Severn II – Bristol England 1,496 ft, Stolmasundet – Austevoll Norway 987ft, Commodore Barry – Chester Pennsylvania 1,622ft, Akashi Kaikyo - Hyogo Japan 6,527ft
Among Others not Mentioned: Alex Fraser - Canada, George Washington Bridge - New York, Ikuchi – Japan, Rama IX - Thailand

Scores

With a 4 way tie and a perfect score of 50 points : Brandz_mygirl, Gatsby722, Maninmidohio, Nakarina

Very closely behind With 45 points: Denni19 & Mugaboo

Congratulations to the four winners with a perfect score and for picking up an August point Brandz_mygirl , Gatsby722, Maninmidohio, Nakarina . Thank you all for playing, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your week, wherever you are .

#433285 - Thu Aug 21 2008 09:59 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 21 - Thursday

Today's theme: Tennis greats

1. Maureen Connolly was an American tennis player who was the first woman to win all four Grand Slam tournaments during the same calendar year. She is one of three Tennis Hall-of-Famers who were left-handed at birth but learned to play right-handed. This transition helped her become a baseline specialist with tremendous power, accuracy, and an especially strong backhand. Please tell me an individual (other than Connolly) - male or female - who completed a career Grand Slam (winning the Australian, French, and U.S. Championships as well as Wimbledon).

2. Fred Perry was an English tennis player and three-time Wimbledon champion. He was the World No. 1 player for five years (1934 to 1938). The Fred Perry Way, named after the famous tennis champion from Manchester, is a recently designated 14 mile walking route which spans the Borough of Stockport, from Woodford in the south to Reddish in the north. Please take a look at this website of walking trips in Manchester, and pick any other trip that has a title containing exactly three words.

3. Andre Agassi is a former World No. 1 professional American tennis player who won eight Grand Slam singles tournaments and an Olympic gold medal in singles. In 2007, Agassi co-founded Athletes for Hope, a charitable organization that helps professional athletes get involved in charitable causes and inspires millions of non-athletes to volunteer and support the community. Please visit the Athletes for Hope website and select any other of its founding athletes.

4. Margaret Smith Court is a retired former World No. 1 tennis player from Australia. In 1970, she became the first woman during the open era to win all four Grand Slam singles titles in the same calendar year. Court won a total of 24 Grand Slam singles titles, more than any other player. Please name an opponent Court faced in the final in any of her twenty-four Grand Slam singles tournament wins.

5. Steffi Graf is a former world number one ranked female tennis player from Germany. She is widely considered to be one of the greatest female tennis players in history. In 1988, Graf won the Olympic gold medal in singles for West Germany and all four Grand Slam singles titles that year, becoming the first and only player to win the "Golden Slam." Please name any other sport (not event) in which West Germany (between 1968-1988) won an Olympic gold medal (i.e. I am looking for 'tennis' not 'women's singles').

This round will close Tuesday, August 27th at noon FT time. Please PM me with any questions. Good luck!

#433286 - Fri Aug 22 2008 06:48 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
August 22

When I was young, my mother worked at John Hancock Life Insurance in Boston, MA. It was a long commute each day using the MTA (of No, He will Never Return fame). In honor of the time she spent there, this will be the John Hancock round.

1. The John Hancock Insurance companies had their start in 1862 when the company was charted in the commonwealth of Massachusetts. The company evolved into a financial services company dealing with a full line of financial products. In 2003 the company was acquired by Manulife Financial Corporation of Canada who has retained the John Hancock brand name for its U.S. based business. From the John Hancock Insurance and Financial Services site under Mutual Funds tell me the name of an Equity or Sector Fund (but not an Income Fund) whose symbol begins with J.

2. John Hancock Insurance was, of course, named after one of the most famous of the colonial revolutionaries, John Hancock. As a very prosperous Boston merchant there was a lot of self interest in his attacks on the British taxation of the colonies, but he was a genuine patriot. He was one of the Massachusetts delegates to the Second Continental Congress and was elected president of that body. Hancock is best-remembered for his large, flamboyant signature on the Declaration of Independence, so much so that "John Hancock" has become, in the United States, an informal synonym for "signature.” Please tell me the name of another signer of the Declaration of Independence whose last name starts with H.

3. The John Hancock Center in Chicago is a 100 story multi-use building located at the north end of Chicago’s downtown. It finished construction in 1970. Designed by renowned architects Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, John Hancock Center has won numerous awards for its innovative and iconic style. The building's distinctive exterior cross-bracing eliminates the need for support beams, greatly increasing the amount of usable floor space. Tell me one of the businesses listed under Dining or Retail Shops on the building’s web site.

4. Hancock is a recently released movie starring Will Smith as a hard living superhero named John Hancock whose image needs a little polishing. As part of the makeover he turns himself in to the police for innumerable small offenses and finds himself doing jail time. Although these prison scenes are only part of the plot, Will gets a lot of mileage out of them. Tell me one of the actors who plays one of the serially named “convict”s in the movie.

5. Vincent Hancock, who claims to be a direct descendent of John Hancock, brought home a Gold Medal from the Beijing Olympic Games in Skeet. In Olympic skeet shooting a series consists of 25 targets (clay discs) thrown in a specific order, some as singles and some as doubles. There are two throwing machines at different heights, with the shooter having a fixed position between them. In the men’s competition there are five series. Tell me any of the next 9 finishers in Beijing after Vincent.

This round will close noonish (FT Time) on Wednesday, August 27. Have a wonderful weekend.

#433287 - Fri Aug 22 2008 10:05 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 18 - Monday
"Yet More *Trivial Pursuit*"
Five formidable players this time !

1. Please tell me a word of 7 letters or more in the last sentence of "Origin of the Species"! Hint: if you use Gutenberg to reference, the book's last page comes after 230, but before 240 ...

For 10 Points:
Breathed, Endless, Gravity, Originally, Wonderful

The other acceptable answers were Grandeur, Several, Cycling, According, Beginning, Beautiful and Evolved.

2. On its website, there's a slideshow (it shows on each page, same one on every page) highlighting 5 operas [and one ballet]. Tell me the name of any of those Operas or the composer of one of 'em.

For 10 Points:
Leos Janácek, "Rigoletto", Igor Stravinsky
For 5 Points:
Richard Wagner (2)

The operas and their composers are: "Tannhäuser" (Richard Wagner), "The Rake's Progress" (Igor Stravinsky), "Il trionfo del tempo e del disinganno" (George Frideric Handel), "Katia Kabanova" (Leos Janácek) -and- "Rigoletto" (Giuseppe Verdi).

3. Kindly tell me another nominee (the person) in that category the year Dolly was up for "Whorehouse". Or, if you wish, from the same category the next year. Thank you!

For 10 Points:
Carol Burnett (for Annie), Sally Field (for Kiss Me Goodbye), Goldie Hawn (for Best Friends), Linda Ronstadt (for The Pirates of Penzance), Barbra Streisand (for Yentl )

Julie Andrews, Aileen Quinn, Julie Walters, Anne Bancroft and Jennifer Beals would have worked, too.

4. Please tell me a food item on the *Coastal Catches* section of the Taste of America Brunch there.

For 10 Points:
Assorted East Coast oysters, shucked and served with lemon, migonette and horseradish; Grilled Maine scallops, pink salt and lime; Maple-cured house smoked salmon with traditional garnish
For 5 Points:
Old Bay poached shrimp with tomato horseradish sauce (2)

They all sound pretty darned good to me ! The others? Fresh shucked cherry stone clams with tomato vinaigrette; Ceviche with lime chili, cilantro and shaved onions; Washington state mussels with lemon shallot garlic and organic olive oil; Seared Hawaiian Tuna loin in coconut lime marinade -and- Gravlax with Honey-Mustard and Dill Sauce.

5. Please tell me someone ranked #60 to #69, inclusively, on "100 Greatest Britons" - just after Julie Andrews.

For 10 Points:
Sir Edward Elgar (composer), George Stephenson (railway pioneer)
For 5 Points:
Sir David Attenborough (broadcaster) (3)

Queen Elizabeth (as in the 'Queen Mother'), George Harrison, James Connolly, Sir Charlie Chaplin, Tony Blair, William Caxton and Bobby Moore weren't mentioned.

The Results!

45 Points! .... denni19, Mugaboo, szabs
40 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, maninmidohio

It kinda seemed like the esteemed Brit David Attenborough pretty much determined the scores there ~ take him out of the mix and it was nearly a five-way tie! Great job everyone, and thanks for playing. Big happy August Trivia Points to denni19, Mugaboo and szabs today !

#433288 - Sat Aug 23 2008 02:59 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 23 - - Saturday 23 August

1. In the last two weeks I've been enjoying BBC2's reality TV talent show "Maestro", where eight celebrities battle for the honour of conducting the Proms in the Park in mid-september. Please name of the the contestants on Maestro.

2. The fellow who was knocked out of Maestro last Tuesday, conducted Barber’s Adagio. Name a film that includes Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings.

3. Barber's middle name is Osbourne. You can get various guided tours about Osbourne house on the Isle of Wight. Please tell me a guided tour you can pay for at Osbourne House.

4. Gugleilmo Marconi transmitted some of the earliest radio messages to Queen Victoria at Osbourne House. His first transmission, Marconi demonstrated in his home town of Bologna. Please give me any city that is twined with Bologna.

5. Bologna was where the car company Maserati started up business, although the headquarters were moved to Modena in 1940. Tell me any car produced by Maserati in the last ten years.

#433289 - Sat Aug 23 2008 12:46 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 19 is scheduled to close in 10 hours. ...

#433290 - Sun Aug 24 2008 05:58 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

This post is a little late, just got back. Round 19 is closed. Results tomorrow.

#433291 - Mon Aug 25 2008 10:45 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Another 24 hours before Wednesday 20th round closes

#433292 - Mon Aug 25 2008 12:36 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 21 will be closing in just over 22 hours...

#433293 - Mon Aug 25 2008 01:29 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Monday Aug 25 – quiz
Bits of Food-related stuff

1) Bartender Ngiam (pronounced as ‘Nee-um’, the 2 syllables are spoken quickly together and the ‘g’ is slient) Tong Boon invented the Singapore Sling cocktail while working at the Raffles Hotel. This was in the early 1900s. The original recipe is thought to have been lost before WWII and the current version of the cocktail served at the Long Bar in Raffles Hotel is based on recollections and notes of former bartenders. From here, please give me any ingredient (do include any measurements) that make up the Singapore Sling as found on the recipe card from the Raffles Hotel.

2) Eggs are highly nutritious and are used in many recipes. Some people, however, do not eat eggs for whatever reason and egg substitutes are used. Please give me an egg substitute. You may choose an egg substitute from here (do not choose the homemade egg substitute recipe because it’s not completely
‘egg-less’) or you can submit another egg substitute but please include the internet link to your answer.

3) Vegetables are normally associated with being green and leafy. There are also vegetables that are not traditionally green. Please give me a vegetable that is not normally green in colour. As to the timeless question of whether it’s a fruit or a vegetable, I will follow the definition guides as per Wikipedia.

4) Entomophagy is the (deliberate) eating of insects. Please give me a tasty insect recipe from here.

5) The mooncake is a traditional food eaten during the Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival which celebrates the end of the summer harvesting season. The festival falls on the 15th day of the 8th lunar month of the Chinese calendar which is usually around mid-September. You don’t have to wait until the festival day to start eating mooncakes. Bakeries and restaurants start making these mooncakes early and it is possible to buy mooncakes as early as the beginning of August. Mooncakes are expensive. Please give me a selection of mooncake that can be purchased from the Raffles Hotel, Singapore, limiting your answers to those that come in a box of 8.

This round will close on Saturday 30 August at midnight FT time.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002