Terms of Use

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#433294 - Mon Aug 25 2008 10:57 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Aug 19 Round - Answers

To a wonderful core group of 4, thank you for taking part.

1) Please proceed to Thornton’s website, look for the “Master Chocolatier’s Selections” under “Personalised Gifts” and give me any of the chocolates shown there that has 2 words in its name.
For Ten Points: Lemon meringue, Amaretto praline
For Five Points: Toffee mousse (2)
Not mentioned: Cuba dark, Tanzania dark, Java milk, Caramel truffle, Crème brulee, Apricot cognac

2) From here, please give me an application for silver. Just the heading will do.
For Ten Points: In photography and electronics, In nuclear reactors, As a catalyst, In clothing 10 points all!
Not mentioned: As a precious metal, In dentistry, In solder and brazing, In mirrors and optics, As money, In medicine, As a medication, In food, Silversmithery

3) Please give me the names of any Dukes of York since 1474, excluding the current one of course.
For Ten Points: Prince Edward, Prince Frederick, Prince George, Prince Albert 10 points all again!
Not mentioned: Richard of Shrewsbury, Henry Tudor, Charles Stewart, James Stewart, Prince Ernest Augustus

4) Can you please give me the name of any individual or team that came in second in any of the races that Michael Phelps won gold in the 2008 Olympics.
For Ten Points: Australia - 4x100m medley relay
For Five Points: Laszlo Cseh – 200m individual medley (3)
Not mentioned: Laszlo Cseh – 400m individual medley, France – 4x100m freestyle relay, Park Tae Hwan – 200m freestyle, Laszlo Cseh – 200m butterfly, Russia – 4x200m freestyle, Milorad Cavic – 100m butterfly
I only realized very late into the round that Laszlo Cseh won the silver in 3 of Michael Phelps’ races . I therefore had to amend my question to ask for the race names as well. And all three who picked Laszlo’s name also picked the same race, how interesting is that.

5) From here, can you please give me any of the Top 100 Hits of 1960 that is numbered from 1 to 10.
For Ten Points: Stuck on you – Elvis Presley, Handy Man – Jimmy Jones
For Five Points: Running Bear – Johnny Preston (2)
Not mentioned: Cathy’s Clown – Everly Brothers, He’ll Have To Go – Jim Reeves, Theme from “A Summer Place” – Percy Faith, It’s Now Or Never – Elvis Presley, Teen Angel – Mark Dinning, I’m Sorry – Brenda Lee, The Twist – Chubby Checker

RESULTS!

In Top Place: with
45 points: Gatsby

Really close behind in Second Place: with
40 points: Mugaboo, Maninmidohio & Szabs

Happy Tuesday everyone.

Edited by brandz_mygirl (Tue Aug 26 2008 12:48 AM)

#433295 - Tue Aug 26 2008 11:10 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 21 Results

5 players entered this round…

1. Please tell me an individual (other than Connolly) - male or female - who completed a career Grand Slam (winning the Australian, French, and U.S. Championships as well as Wimbledon).

For 10 points: Billie Jean King, Rod Laver, Martina Navratilova, Andre Agassi, Chris Evert

For 5 points: none

Not mentioned: Those not mentioned in other questions are Doris Hart, Shirley Fry Irvin, Serena Williams, Don Budge, and Roy Emerson.

2. Please take a look at this website of walking trips in Manchester, and pick any other trip that has a title containing exactly three words.

For 10 points: Forest of Burnley, Sale Water Park, Etherow Country Park, Orrell Water Park, Boggart Hole Clough

Not mentioned: Burrs Country Park, Chadkirk Farm Trail, Chorlton Water Park, and others

3. Please visit the Athletes for Hope website and select any other of its founding athletes.

For 10 points: Jeff Gordon, Jackie Joyner-Kersee, Cal Ripken, Jr.

For 5 points: Alonzo Mourning (2)

Not mentioned: Muhammad Ali, Lance Armstrong, Warrick Dunn, Mia Hamm, Tony Hawk, Andrea Jaeger

4. Please name an opponent Court faced in the final in any of her twenty-four Grand Slam singles tournament wins.

For 10 points: Evonne Goolagong Cawley, Nancy Richey Gunter, Darlene Hard

For 5 points: Helga Neissen Masthoff (2)

Not mentioned: Those not mentioned in other questions are Jan Lehane O'Neill, Lesley Turner Bowrey, Maria Bueno, Ann Haydon Jones, Kerry Melville Reid, and Rosemary Casals.

5. Please name any other sport (not event) in which West Germany (between 1968-1988) won an Olympic gold medal.

For 10 points: Track cycling, Rowing, Shooting

For 5 points: Equestrian (2)

Not Mentioned: Athletics, Swimming, Field Hockey, Speed Skating, Bobsleigh, Alpine skiing, and Judo - among others

Scores:

With 50 points: Gatsby722
With 45 points: maninmidohio, Mugaboo
With 40 points: szabs, brandz_mygirl

Congratulations to Gatsby722 for his perfect score and August trivia point!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#433296 - Tue Aug 26 2008 11:44 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 20th August results

Q1 A film with pink in the title
For Ten Points
Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii, The Return of the Pink Panther, The Thin Pink Line, Pink Ludoos, Creatures from the Pink Lagoon (2006),
For Five Points
Ten points to all
Not mentioned
The Pink Panther and more

Q2 A song title with pink in the title
For Ten Points
Tickle Me Pink (Johnny Flynn), Lily the pink (By Scaffold), In The Land Of Grey And Pink by Caravan, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots - Flaming Lips, "Pink Palaka" by Andrew E ,
For Five Points
Ten points to all
Not mentioned
A white sports court and a pink carnation and more

Q3 A book title with pink in the title
For Ten Points
The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig, When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit (by Judith Kerr), Golden Bats and Pink Pigeons - Gerald Durrell, Pink for a Girl: What Happens When Getting Pregnant Doesn't, Pink Elephants and Hairy Toads (collection of stories by Mike Resnick),
For Five Points
Ten points to all

Q4 Something that is traditionally pink
For Ten Points
Tongue (except for chows), Financial Times, Pink Cyclamen Flower, Jaipur, (“Pink City of India”), Strawberry Batida,
For Five Points
Ten points to all
Not mentioned
Baby girl’s clothes and more

Q5 Something you can eat which is pink
For Ten Points
Hostess Sno Balls, Potato (Kerr's Pink), Pink Turkish delight, Pink guava, Jelly Belly (jellybeans) - Cotton Candy-flavored,
For Five Points
Ten points to all
Not mentioned

Five competitors
SCORES

brandz_mygirl - 50
Gatsby722 – 50
Maninmidohio – 50
Mugaboo – 50
szabs – 50
Well done to Brandz_mygirl, Gatsby, Maninmidohio, Mugaboo and Szabs

#433297 - Tue Aug 26 2008 12:04 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
A little less than 24 hours left to get in your answers for Round 22 - The John Hancock Round.

Plenty of room for newcomers and regular players alike.

#433298 - Tue Aug 26 2008 09:37 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 27 ~ Wednesday

Did I watch an old movie (this one possibly released in 1959) this week? Why, funny you should ask ! In fact, yes!, I did ...

1. On The Beach is set shortly after World War III, which devastated the northern hemisphere, polluting the atmosphere with nuclear fallout and killing all life. The only part of the planet still habitable is the far south of the globe. Strangely, a mysterious Morse code radio signal is heard originating from the United States. Hoping that some life remains in contaminated regions, one of the last American nuclear submarines is sent on a mission to investigate the source of this odd Morse code. It turns out to be only an empty Coca-Cola bottle that is lodged against the transmitting radio. To begin, please tell me the symbol of a letter (using Morse code) in the full birth name of the LEAD Actor in On The Beach (he played Dwight Towers in the film). If you want to use the symbol for *S*, you may answer: · · · -or- dot, dot, dot, and so on.

2. The movie was largely filmed in Melbourne, Australia - made notable at the time by a comment star Ava Gardner supposedly made while shooting there. It was printed that she said something to the effect that there was "no better place to make a movie about the end of the world than in Melbourne." The insult was never said - turns out a reporter made it up (most say Ava had quite a ball while filming Down Under, as a matter of fact). Just one of many notable events in the city is Moomba (or Melbourne Moomba Waterfest), one of the largest and longest running annual festivals in Australia. The Queen of Moomba was first introduced in 1955, followed by the namings of the first Queen of the Pacific and first King of Moomba in 1967. Kindly tell me any *Moomba King* 'crowned' in the 1970s.

3. Nevil Shute, the auther of the novel "On The Beach", was both a popular writer and a successful aeronautical engineer. He used Nevil Shute as his pen name, and his full name when engineering. The Nevil Shute Norway Foundation website is dedicated to his writing, wisdom and philosophy. They take a poll of readers' [three] favorite books on the site, tallying and updating it annually. Please name a novel (aside from "On The Beach") that has earned a TOTAL amount of *70* Points', or more, on that poll. Note: some titles are listed in 'pairs' - please consider those pairs as two separate books when answering.

4. While forever associated with his role as Norman Bates in the classic horror film Psycho, Anthony Perkins was a fine actor with a wide range - as exhibited in his supporting (but pivotal) role in On The Beach. He played a young husband deciding not only the fate of himself and his wife, but also that of their unborn child. His performance was layered, heartbreaking and drove home (with impact) the film's overall message/warning. Alfred Hitchcock directed Perkins in Psycho, of course ... and Robert Bloch wrote the novel upon which that 1960 film was based. Bloch & Hitchcock teamed up elsewhere, in other projects (those times without Perkins, however). Please tell me an episode in the TV series "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" that was written by Robert Bloch.

5. In the story it becomes clear that the "survivors" have only temporarily escaped the effects of the radiation - it's gradually blowing in and their slow and agonizing deaths are imminent. It's decided that the most humane way to face the future (since they are all sure to perish, anyway) is to provide the public with *suicide pills* - not the preferred option, indeed, but the most 'practical' one? Suicide (in any regard) is a touchy subject. One must wonder if Henry Louis "H. L." Mencken (1880-1956), a journalist and [acerbic] critic of American life and culture, would have *approved* of the measures considered in On The Beach. He made a notable 4-sentence quote about suicide. It begins: "Life may not be exactly pleasant ..." To finish, tell me a word of 7 or 8 letters that appears in the remainder of his statement.

This will close up on Sunday at noon-ish! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy !

Edited by Gatsby722 (Wed Aug 27 2008 03:25 PM)

#433299 - Wed Aug 27 2008 11:57 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Round 22 – Results

Five fantastic fun lovers joined in on the John Hancock Round. Thanks to all of you for playing.

1. From the John Hancock Insurance and Financial Services site under Mutual Funds tell me the name of an Equity or Sector Fund (but not an Income Fund) whose symbol begins with J.

For 10 Points
– Core Equity (JHDCX) and Health Sciences (JHGRX)

For 5 Points - Mid Cap Equity (JCEAX) (3)

Not Chosen - Classic Value II (JHVAX), Classic Value Mega Cap (JMEAX), Growth Trends (JGTAX), Optimized Value (JOVAX), Small Cap Intrinsic Value (JHIAX), and Global Real Estate (JREAX)

2. Please tell me the name of another signer of the Declaration of Independence besides John Hancock whose last name starts with H.

For 10 Points
– Benjamin Harrison

For 5 Points - William Hooper (4) Mr. Hooper certainly was a popular choice, too bad he is not running for office this year.

Not Chosen - Stephen Hopkins, Samuel Huntington, Lyman Hall, Joseph Hewes, Thomas Heyward, Jr., Francis Hopkinson, and John Hart

3. Tell me one of the businesses listed under Dining or Retail Shops on the web site of the John Hancock Tower in Chicago.

For 10 Points
– The Signature Room at the 95th, The Cheesecake Factory, L'Appetito, Aveda, and The North Face. Ten points to all – good going!

Not Chosen - Jamba Juice, Accent Chicago, Elephants, Etc., Fingers & Toes Nail Spa, and Paul Stuart

4. Tell me one of the actors who plays one of the serially named “convict”s in the movie Hancock.

For 10 Points
– Timothy Brennen (#4), Steven Pierce (#6), and Dominic Prampin (#7)

For 5 Points - Daniel Quinn (#8) (2)

Not Chosen - Donald Gibb (#1), Ralph Richeson (#2), Allan Havey (#3), Anthony Ledesma (#5), Mars Crain (#9), Jack Axelrod (#10), Eddie J. Fernandez (#11), and Martin Klebba (#12)

5. Tell me any of the next 9 finishers in Beijing after Vincent Hancock in Olympic Skeet.

For 10 Points
- Georgios Achilleos (5th), Juan Jose Aramburu (8th), and Abdullah Alrashidi (9th)

For 5 Points - Tore Brovold (2nd) (2)

Not Chosen - Anthony Terras (3rd), Antonis Nikolaidis (4th), Ridong Qu (6th)
Di Jin (7th), and Zaid Almutairi (10th) (some good names there if you are creating crosswords)

The Results –
50 Points – szabs
(well done)
40 Points – Mugaboo
35 Points – brandz_mygirl, denni19, and Gatsby722

So in a runaway, szabs takes home the hard earned August Trivia Point all by herself.

#433300 - Thu Aug 28 2008 10:51 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 28 - Thursday

1. The Bulova Watch Company is one of today's preeminent watch companies. Founded in 1875 in New York City, the company's products have acheived a place in the luxury market. According to the company website, Bulova timepieces have been installed on Air Force One, given to visiting dignitaries, and presented to the US Olympic Team. Please visit the Bulova website and tell me a watch or clock brand seen in the 'Bulova Brands' drop-down menu.

2. Vintage Bulova hack watches were used in John Dahl's 2005 film The Great Raid, depicting the events of the Raid at Cabanatuan, a part of the Word War II Philippines campaign that resulted in the rescue of 513 prisoners of war. The Philippines campaign of 1944–45 was the Allied effort to defeat Japanese forces occupying the Philippines. Please select another named battle/raid/invasion that occured during this campaign.

3. Bulova was the first company to air a televised ad. The ad ran in 1941, cost a grand total of $9, and was aired during a Brooklyn Dodgers vs. Philadelphia Phillies baseball game. Please name a manager of the Brooklyn Dodgers baseball team (must be from when the team was in Brooklyn AND called the Dodgers).

4. The founder of Bulova, Joseph Bulova, was a twenty-three year old immigrant from Bohemia. Bohemia is located in the modern-day Czech Republic. Since 2000, the Czech Republic has been divided into thirteen regions and the capital city of Prague. Please pick one of these thirteen regions of the Czech Republic.

5. In July 2007, Bulova introduced the Accutron Astronaut Limited Edition watch, signed by the leganedary astronaut Buzz Aldrin. Aldrin is one of ten astronauts who appeared in the 2006 British documentary In the Shadow of the Moon, a film about the United States' manned missions to the Moon. Please give me the name of another astronaut appearing in the film.

This round will close on Tuesday September 2 at noon FT time. Please PM me with any questions. Good luck!

#433301 - Thu Aug 28 2008 11:34 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 23 - 5 played

1. Please name of the the contestants on Maestro.
For 10 points: Jane Asher; Alex James; David Soul
For 5 points: Peter Snow [2]
Not mentioned: Katie Derham; Goldie; Sue Perkins; Bradley Walsh

2. Name a film that includes Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings.
For 10 points: Amélie; Jägarna; El Norte; Platoon; Swimming Upstream
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned include: The Elephant Man; Kevin & Perry Go Large; S1m0ne; Peace One Day

3. Please tell me a guided tour you can pay for at Osbourne House.
For 10 points: The Historic Gardens of Osborne
For 5 points: Spring Bedding at Osborne [2]; Osborne Bedding at its Best [2]
Not mentioned: At Home at Osborne; Spring Blossoms at Osborne; Wild Flowers & Swiss Cottage Magic; The Walled Garden in Bloom; Autumn at Osborne; Winter Tour; A Victorian Christmas Tour

4. Please give me any city that is twined with Bologna.
For 10 points: La Plata (Argentina); Saint-Louis (Senegal); San Carlos (Nicaragua); Tuzla (Bosnia and Herzegovina); Valencia (Spain)
Not mentioned: Coventry (United Kingdom); Kharkiv (Ukraine); Leipzig (Germany); Portland (Oregon); St. Louis (Missouri); Toulouse (France); Zagreb (Croatia)

5. Tell me any car produced by Maserati in the last ten years.
For 10 points: 3200 GTA; Spyder CC; Coupé GT; GranTurismo; MC12 Corsa
Not mentioned: 3200 GT; Quattroporte V6 Evoluzione; Quattroporte V8 Evoluzione; Coupé CC; Gran Sport; Quattroporte V

Scores:
50 points: Szabs
45 points: Brandz_mygirl; Maninmidohio
40 points: Denni19; Gatsby722

Once again Szabs takes an August point and a perfect score. Very well done.

#433302 - Fri Aug 29 2008 08:45 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 29

This round has been inspired by some forest fires in my immediate area in the last five days , a large group of volunteers including myself have been helping the fire fighters in the evacuation of people, rescue of animals and other similar tasks. Now that they have been extinguished the lush green areas are all burned out leaving a very sad scenery, so for this reason I dedicate this round to the colour Green.

1. Please give me a shade of green.

2. Shades of Green is an Armed Forces Recreation Center (AFRC) located in Central Florida on the grounds of Walt Disney World. It is exclusively available to certain eligible members of the U.S. Armed Forces community, their families, and certain civilians in the DoD and elsewhere. From this site please give me one of the exact requirements for authorized patronage at Shades of Green. (please just give me the heading)

3 The restaurant Shades of Green
is situated among giant trees and lush gardens on a plot just outside Benoni, close to East Rand in the South African province of Gauteng. Customers can enjoy an alfresco meal, drain a cup of coffee while reading the paper, or simply take in the wonderful views that been have created. The tables dotted around the gardens, behind trees and tucked away in shady corners, or on a number of elevated structures give diners the feeling that they’re having a meal in the treetops. From their site , please give me one of their starters off the Buffet menu.

4. The mission of Green Cross International is to help ensure a just, sustainable and secure future for all by fostering a value shift and cultivating a new sense of global interdependence and shared responsibility in humanity's relationship with nature, their motto being “Give Humanity a Chance, Give the Earth a Future". From their site would you be so kind and give me the name of one of their Honorary Members.

5. To end this Green round, I would like you to give me a movie title with the word Green in it.

Let's say we wrap up this round on Wednesday 3rd of September in the afternoon FT time, till then I wish you all a relaxing weekend, and those in the USA have a great Labour Day weekend.

#433303 - Sat Aug 30 2008 12:04 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Hi all. Round 25 is due to be closed in approx 11 hours time BUT it is now postponed by another 12 hours. Round 25 will therefore close on Sunday 31 August at noon FT time. I have to go out for a while and am expecting to be back late, family obligations. Decided that postponing the close is best and anyone can still play.

I've received answers from the regulars but have not yet sent acknowledgements.

Great weekend wishes everyone!

#433304 - Sun Aug 31 2008 10:19 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 27 - Wednesday
"On The Beach"
Five magnificent participants this time !

1. To begin, please tell me the symbol of a letter (using Morse code) in the full birth name of the LEAD Actor in On The Beach - the same fellow who was later in To Kill A Mockingbird.

For 10 Points:
C ( -·-· / dash, dot, dash, dot); G ( --· / dash, dash, dot); K ( -·- / dash, dot, dash);
For 5 Points:
R ( ·-· / dot, dash, dot) (2)

The others were: E / · ; L / ·-·· ; D / -··; O / --- ; Y / -·-- ; ; P / ·--·
His birth name was Eldred Gregory Peck ...

2. Kindly tell me any *Moomba King* 'crowned' in the 1970s.

For 10 Points:
Rolf Harris (Entertainer, 1975), Graham Kennedy (TV Personality, 1979), Bert Newton (TV Personality, 1978)
For 5 Points:
Sir Robert Helpmann (Ballet Dancer and Choreographer, 1974) (2)

Johnny Famechon (Champion Australian Boxer), Lou Richards-Jester (Singer), Johnny Farnham (Singer), Sir Douglas Nicholls (Aboriginal Minister), Barry Crocker (Entertainer), Mickey Mouse (Disney Character) and Ugly Dave Gray-Jester (TV Personality) were also found "Moomba"-worthy during that decade.

3. Please name a novel (aside from "On The Beach") that has earned a TOTAL amount of *70* Points', or more on that poll.

For 10 Points:
Round The Bend
For 5 Points:
In The Wet (2), Requiem for a Wren (2)

The others were Trustee From The Toolroom, A Town Like Alice, The Legacy, The Breaking Wave, Pied Piper -and- An Old Captivity.

4. Please tell me an episode in the TV series "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" that was written by Robert Bloch.

For 10 Points:
Bad Actor, The Cure, The Greatest Monster Of Them All, Madame Mystery, The Sorcerer's Apprentice

The Cuckoo Clock, The Changing Heart, The Landlady, The Gloating Place -and- The Big Kick would've worked, too.

5. To finish, tell me a word of 7 or 8 letters that appears in the remainder of his (H.L. Mencken's) statement.

For 10 Points:
Hanging, Husband's, Perchance
For 5 Points:
Possible (2)

"Life may not be exactly pleasant, but it is at least not dull. Heave yourself into Hell today, and you may miss, tomorrow or next day, another Scopes trial, or another War to End War, or perchance a rich and buxom widow with all her first husband's clothes. There are always more Hardings hatching. I advocate hanging on as long as possible."

The Results!

45 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, szabs
40 Points! .... maninmidohio, Mugaboo
30 Points! .... denni19

Hmmm. That time it seems you all selectively snitched denni19's answers ! Good Round, folks ... and well played by everyone! Bells and whistles (and Trivia Points, too) to brandz_mygirl and szabs today !

Edited by Gatsby722 (Mon Oct 06 2008 06:44 PM)

#433305 - Sun Aug 31 2008 11:35 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 25 is finally closed. Results soon....

#433306 - Sun Aug 31 2008 12:54 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Aug 25 Round - Answers

A simply great group of 5 played the Bits of Food-related stuff round.

1) From here, please give me any ingredient (do include any measurements) that make up the Singapore Sling as found on the recipe card from the Raffles Hotel.
For Ten Points: 7.5 ml Dom Benedictine, 15 ml Cherry Brandy, A Dash of Angostura Bitters,
For Five Points: 15 ml Lime Juice (2)
Not mentioned: 30 ml Gin, 120 ml Pineapple Juice, 7.5 ml Cointreau, 10 ml Grenadine, A Slice of Pineapple and Cherry for Garnish

2) Please give me an egg substitute. You may choose an egg substitute from here (do not choose the homemade egg substitute recipe because it’s not completely
‘egg-less’) or you can submit another egg substitute but please include the internet link to your answer.

For Ten Points: 1 tbsp Ground Flax Seed & 2-3 tbsps Water, 1 tbsp Unflavoured Gelatin & 3 tbsp Cold Water & ¼ cup Boiling Water (equivalent to 3 eggs), 2 tbsp Potato Starch
For Five Points: 2 tbsp Arrowroot Flour (2)
Not mentioned: 2 tbsp Corn Starch, 1 heaping tbsp Soy Powder & 2 tbsp Water, 1 tbsp Soy Milk Powder & 1 tbsp Corn Starch & 2 tbsp Water, 1 Banana, Ener-G Egg Replacer (egg equivalent not stated) & lots more
All egg substitutes mentioned above are supposed to be equivalent to one whole egg unless otherwise stated.

3) Please give me a vegetable that is not normally green in colour.
For Ten Points: Cauliflower, Beetroot, Pimento, Cassava, Parsnip 10 points to everyone.
Not mentioned: Carrots, Red and Yellow Bell Peppers, Sweet Potato, Daikon Radish, Pumpkin, Tomato to name a few

4) Please give me a tasty insect recipe from here.
For Ten Points: Chocolate Chirpie Chip Cookies, Bug Blox, Rootworm Beetle Dip
For Five Points: Mealworm Fried Rice (2)
Not mentioned: Banana Worm Bread, Crackers and Cheese Dip with Candied Crickets, Corn Borer Cornbread Muffins, Chocolate-Covered Grasshoppers

5) Please give me a selection of mooncake that can be purchased from the Raffles Hotel, Singapore, limiting your answers to those that come in a box of 8.
For Ten Points: Mini Snow-Skin Mooncake with Orange and Walnut
For Five Points: Mini Snow-Skin Mooncake with Mocha Truffle (2), Mini Snow-Skin Mooncake with Krug Champagne Truffle & Ganache (2)
Not mentioned: Mini Snow-Skin Mooncake with Champagne Truffle & Ganache, Mini Snow-Skin Mooncake with Raffles Cognac Truffle, Mini Snow-Skin Mooncake with Dark Chocolate Crunchy Pearl, Crunchy Treasure

RESULTS!

Top Place:
45 points: Maninmidohio Well done!

Other Results:
40 points: Gatsby, Szabs & Denni
35 points: Mugaboo

Gentle Monday to one and all.

#433307 - Tue Sep 02 2008 11:44 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 28 will remain open until noon FT on Wednesday while I await an answer clarification...

#433308 - Thu Sep 04 2008 04:23 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 29 Four admirable players participated in this Green round.

1. Please give me a shade of green.

10 Points to all : Fern green, Yellow-green, Spring Bud, Pine green
Among others : Chartreuse, British racing green, Jungle Green

2. Shades of Green is an Armed Forces Recreation Center (AFRC) located in Central Florida on the grounds of Walt Disney World. It is exclusively available to certain eligible members of the U.S. Armed Forces community, their families, and certain civilians in the DoD and elsewhere. From this site please give me one of the exact requirements for authorized patronage at Shades of Green. (please just give me the heading)

10 Points to All : Armed Forces retirees and their family members, Members of the public within the U. S., . U.S. DoD civilians and family members, Others separated from the Armed Forces and their family members
Among others : Other Uniformed Services, Armed Forces Service members and their family members, Others associated with the Department of Defense.

3 The restaurant Shades of Green is situated among giant trees and lush gardens on a plot just outside Benoni, close to East Rand in the South African province of Gauteng. From their site , please give me one of their starters off the Buffet menu.

For 10 Points : Crumbed Prawns, Italian Cheeses
For 5 Points : Pate & Melba Toast (2)
Among others : Avocado & Biltong, Grilled Brinjals & Peppers, Feta & Olives, Half-Shell Mussels

4. The mission of Green Cross International is to help ensure a just, sustainable and secure future for all by fostering a value shift and cultivating a new sense of global interdependence and shared responsibility in humanity's relationship with nature, their motto being “Give Humanity a Chance, Give the Earth a Future". From their site would you be so kind and give me the name of one of their Honorary Members.

10 Points to All : Adolf Ogi – Switzerland, David Suzuki – Canada, Rabbi Awraham Soetendorp - The Netherlands, Victor Danilov-Danilyan - Russia
Among others : Jean-Michel Cousteau - France, Prof. Wangari Maathai -Kenya, Robert Redford -USA, Princess Basma Bint Talal -Jordan

5. To end this Green round, I would like you to give me a movie title with the word Green in it.

10 Points to All : Tarzan and the Green Goddess, Girl with Green Eyes, The Green Ray, The Green Slime
Just to name a few : The Green Mile, Fried Green Tomatoes, Green Card, The Woman in Green

Scores

With a 2 way tie and a perfect score of 50 points : Brandz_mygirl & Gatsby722
Very closely behind With 45 points: Maninmidohio & Mugaboo

Congratulations to the two winners with a perfect score and for picking up an August point Brandz_mygirl & Gatsby722 . Thank you all for playing, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your week, wherever you are .

#433309 - Thu Sep 04 2008 11:16 AM Re: August Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 28 Results

5 players entered this round…

1. Please visit the Bulova website and tell me a watch or clock brand seen in the 'Bulova Brands' drop-down menu.

For 10 points: Bulova, Harley-Davidson

For 5 points: Wittnauer (3)

Not mentioned: Accutron, Caravelle, Frank Lloyd Wright (watch and clock brands), Grandfather, Special Markets, and others

2. Please select another named battle/raid/invasion that occured during this campaign.

For 10 points: Battle of Luzon, Battle of Kilay Ridge, Invasion of Palawan, Battle of Leyte, Battle of Ormoc Bay

Not mentioned: Battle of Leyte Gulf, Battle of Mindoro, Invasion of Lingayen Gulf, among others

3. Please name a manager of the Brooklyn Dodgers baseball team (must be from when the team was in Brooklyn AND called the Dodgers).

For 10 points: Burleigh Grimes, Casey Stengel, Max Carey

For 5 points: Bill Dahlen (2)

Not mentioned: Leo Durocher, Clyde Sukeforth, Burt Shotton, Ray Blades, Chuck Dressen, Walter Alston

4. Please pick one of these thirteen regions of the Czech Republic. (I apologize for the lack of appropriate accent marks…)

For 10 points: Olomouc, South Bohemian, Plzen, Karlovy Vary, Moravian-Silesian

Not mentioned: Central Bohemian, Usti nad Labem, Liberec, Hradec Kralove, Pardubice, South Moravian, Zlin, Vysocina

5. Please give me the name of another astronaut appearing in the British documentary In the Shadow of the Moon.

For 10 points: Eugene Cernan, John Young, Charles Duke

For 5 points: Edgar Mitchell (2)

Not Mentioned: Michael Collins, Alan Bean, Jim Lovell, David Scott, Harrison Schmitt

Scores:

With 50 points: brandz_mygirl
With 45 points: Mugaboo, szabs
With 40 points: maninmidohio
With 35 points: Gatsby722

Congratulations to brandz_mygirl for her perfect score and August trivia point!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#433310 - Thu Sep 04 2008 02:14 PM Re: August Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
I had a few moments so I thought I would put together the statistics for August (and those for July since they were not posted). I have also put together the year to date numbers.

Gatsby722 managed to take home the honors for July with 9 wins while szabs gets the nod in August with 10 wins. I still have the year to date lead with 66 wins.

The picture looks like this:

Name.......Thru May.. June..July...Aug..Thru Aug
maninmidohio....39......11......7......9........66
nakarinna.........35.......9......8......6........58
brandz_mygirl....31.......4......4.....9.........48
szabs..............27........7.....4....10.........48
Gatsby722........24........7.....9.....7.........47
Mugaboo..........25........7.....7.....4.........43
denni19............24........3.....6.....3.........36
zorba_scank.......23........2.....................25
cinnamOn..........18...............................18
srini701..............6........4......6..............16