Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#438235 - Sun Aug 31 2008 09:15 PM September Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
THE FT TRIVIA ROUNDS

Each day (except Sunday) one of our Trivia Round hosts will post 5 questions that have multiple possible correct answers. Each player should PM his or her answers to the host within the time frame specified (at least 48 hours, but usually more). Each unique correct answer provided (one that was not given by any other player) will receive 10 points, each non-unique correct answer will receive 5 points.

No sign-up or registration is required to play!!! and each player can play as many or as few Rounds as he or she chooses.

Mondays - Brandz_mygirl and Gatsby
Tuesdays - Brandz_mygirl and Denni
Wednesdays - Gatsby and JaneMarple
Thursdays - Nakarinna
Fridays - Szabs and Maninmidohio
Saturdays - Mugaboo

I think that roster is current ? I'm not sure ... if it's wrong, or needs a tweak or two, just holler. But I'm thinking it serves as a suitable reference point, at least, for the time being . Enjoy the month!

#438236 - Sun Aug 31 2008 09:42 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 1 ~ Monday

Just a few things, by century, that happened on Sepember 1 (as per our handy friends at Wikipedia ) is the map this time. Capped off by a mention of *Labor Day* - which is today - here in the United States.

1. 1752 - The Liberty Bell arrives in Philadelphia. The bell was ordered in 1745 for use in the Pennsylvania State House, after being cast by the Whitechapel Bell Foundry in London and delivered to Philadelphia in late summer. Accd.g to tradition, its most famous ringing occurred on July 8, 1776, to summon citizens to the reading of the Declaration of Independence ~ historians today consider this doubtful, though, as the steeple would have been badly deteriorated by that time. The Franklin Institute took drillings from the Liberty Bell in 1960. The International Nickel Company analyzed the content scientists from Winterthur Museum and the DuPont Company determined the metallic content at ten points around the rim of the Bell. Please tell me a metal that composes the Liberty Bell, according to that International Nickel Company project.

2. 1875 - A murder conviction effectively forces the violent Irish anti-owner coal miners, the "Molly Maguires", to disband. The Molly Maguires were members of a secret Irish organization which many believe were present in the coal fields of Pennsylvania in the U.S. from approximately the time of the American Civil War until a series of sensational arrests in 1876-1878. Evidence that the Molly Maguires were responsible for coalfield crimes and kidnapping were sketchy, at best, and testimony against them was widely considered dubious. Yet ten men were executed on June 21, 1877 for their involvement(s). Miners arrived with their wives and children, walking all night to honor the accused, and by 9AM "the crowd in Pottsville stretched as far as one could see." Please tell me one of those ten men (a "Molly Maguire") hanged on June 21, 1877.

3. 1980 - Terry Fox's Marathon of Hope ends in Thunder Bay, Ontario. Terrance Stanley "Terry" Fox (July 28, 1958-June 28, 1981) was a Canadian humanitarian, athlete, and cancer treatment activist. He became famous for the Marathon of Hope, a cross-Canada run to raise money for cancer research, which Fox ran with one prosthetic leg. He is considered one of Canada's greatest heroes of the 20th century and is celebrated internationally every September as people participate in the Terry Fox Run, the world's largest one-day fundraiser for cancer research. On June 27, 1981 he went into a coma after contracting pneumonia. He passed exactly one month shy of his 23rd birthday. Please look here and tell me a 'leg' of the marathon in the Province of Ontario.

4. 2005 - Seven members and former members of the AFL-CIO form a new trade union organization, the Change to Win Federation. The Change to Win Federation is a coalition of American labor unions originally formed in 2005 as an alternative to the AFL-CIO (American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations), a national trade union center and the largest federation of unions in the United States, made up of 56 national and international unions together representing more than 10 million workers. The Change To Win Federation has eight major ISSUES they focus on as per their website. Tell me one of 'em, OK?

5. Mackinac Bridge Walk is an annual event held every Labor Day since 1958 in Michigan in which people may walk the length of the Mackinac Bridge. Ferries across Upper and Lower peninsulas of the U.S. state of Michigan were hugely popular but in 1928 it was decided that aridge would be cheaper. Nearly 30 years later The American Bridge Division of U.S. Steel Corporation was awarded a contract of over $44 million to build the steel superstructure. Construction took three and a half years (four summers, no winter construction) at a total cost of 100 million dollars (and the lives of five men who worked on it). It opened November 1, 1957, and was formally dedicated in June, 1958. The Mackinac Bridge site tells the history in detail and even mentions a bridge "denizen" named *Spider Jack*. Take a minute and tell me a sentence in the short essay written by *Spider Jack* there ...

This'll close up soon after noon on Friday! See you then ...

Edited by Gatsby722 (Fri Dec 26 2008 09:06 AM)

#438237 - Tue Sep 02 2008 11:46 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
*Excuse Me*, now that I have your attention, just want to let you know that (August) Round 29, will be closing in 24 hours, any latecomers out there are welcome to join in .

#438238 - Wed Sep 03 2008 01:59 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 3rd September 2008
Q1 A song from “Guys and Dolls” film or stage musical.
Q2 A “Mystery” book, which concerns the Five Find-Outters and their dog. Again, fifteen to choose from
Q3 Name a resident ghost (or poltergeist) who lives at Hogwarts (at least five to choose from!)
Q4 One of the rooms in the board game “Cluedo” (also known as “Clue”)
Q5 A reason why children are sent home from school
(This round closes on Sunday/Monday! )

#438239 - Wed Sep 03 2008 01:15 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Tuesday Sep 2 – quiz
Another round of Bits-to-make-a-whole (sorry this is coming to you a day late. Been busy & as a result, tired.) Hint: It’s a movie released this summer.

1) The Rubik’s Cube was invented in 1974 by Hungarian Ernő Rubik. It was marketed in 1980 and has been popular since, with a reported worldwide sales of 300 million, including imitations. The standard Rubik’s cube comes in a 3x3x3 size. I admit to owning one. I also admit to never having solved it. Please give me one of the traditional colours of a Rubik’s Cube.

2) Please give me the name of a well-known person, fictional or real, whose first name is either ‘Dolly’ or whose first name rhymes with ‘Dolly’. Would greatly appreciate if you could also include a little bit of information about the person, for eg. famous mathematician from the 1900s.

3) “Wally” is a character from “Dilbert”, a comic strip about a white-collar worker and his colleagues, based in an office environment. “Wally” hates work and loves coffee. Other than Wally, please give me any other main character from the comic strip “Dilbert”.

4) According to the Bible, the first man and woman were Adam and Eve who lived in the Garden of Eden before they were banished from the place for disobeying God. The creature who caused Adam and Eve to sin was a serpent. From here, please give me any of the World’s 10 most deadliest snakes as listed there. I had a look around the WWW and discovered that apparently ‘deadliest’ does not always equal ‘most venomous’ and that there are disagreements over which are the most deadliest and the most venomous snakes.

5) You may have gotten the movie title that makes up the ‘whole’ from the clues in questions 1 - 4, and if so, please tell me another movie or TV show (please do not give me the episode titles) that the director has been involved in as a writer. Please pick an answer that has already been released. If you prefer, you can also click here to make your choice.

This round will close on Sunday 7 September at noon FT time. Thanks for reading this post and hope you’ll be able to play. Bye for now.

#438240 - Thu Sep 04 2008 07:02 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 4 - Thursday

Today's theme is John James Audubon...

1. John James Audubon was a Franco-American ornithologist and naturalist who painted, catalogued, and described the birds of North America in his famous book Birds of America. The National Audubon Society is an American non-profit environmental organization dedicated to conservancy and named after Audubon. Please visit the National Audubon Society and choose a press release published in July or August.

2. The John James Audubon Bridge project is a new Mississippi River crossing in south central Louisiana. The bridge – proposed to be the longest cable-stayed bridge in North American when complete – will replace an existing ferry between the communities of New Roads and St. Francisville. Please select another bridge that crosses the Mississippi River and is located entirely in Louisiana.

3. The Audubon Zoo is a zoo located in New Orleans, Louisiana; it is part of the Audubon Nature Institute, which also manages the Aquarium of the Americas. Please visit the nature institute’s website and pick an event listed for 2008.

4. John James Audubon State Park is a 700-acre park located on U. S. Highway 41 in Henderson, Kentucky, just south of the Ohio River. Audubon lived in Henderson for nine years sketching and painting the local wildlife. Please visit the National Register of Historic Places and tell me another designated historic place in Henderson, KY.

5. Audubon’s most famous book is The Birds of America, which was published as a series between 1827 and 1838. The work consists of hand-colored, life-size prints measuring approximately 39 by 26 inches, making it the largest book in the Library of Congress. Please give me a state bird, as listed in The Birds of America, from a state beginning with the letter ‘m.’

The round will close on Tuesday August 9th. Please PM me with any questions. Good luck!

Edited by nakarinna (Fri Sep 05 2008 08:19 AM)

#438241 - Fri Sep 05 2008 08:07 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 5

From 1940 until 1946, my father served in the US Navy. It was during this time when my father’s ship was in Boston, that my father attended a USO party that was held in my grandmother’s house. It was during this party that my father met my mother. He asked her for her phone number, and my mother provided the number of the local police station. Later during the party he talked to my grandmother and showed her the number he had gotten from my mother. Grandma said that the number was wrong, and gave my father the correct number.

This round will be a salute to the Navy.

1. During the course of my father’s enlistment in the Navy, he served on three different ships: the USS Washington, the USS Wasp (which was later sunk in the Pacific), and YMS-303. The YMS-303 was one of 481 wooden-hulled motor minesweepers that were commissioned in 1942 to do a variety of tasks including inshore sweeping in preparation for amphibious assaults. Most of my father’s service was in the Atlantic, but his ship had entered the Pacific to assist the effort there when the bombs were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki ending the war. Most of the YMS ships made it through the war, but there were some that were lost. From this web site (the YMS class ship is at the bottom of the page) tell me the designation of a YMS that was lost during 1944.

2. The Army Navy football game has been one of the highlights of the fall collegiate football season. The first meeting of the arch rivals was in 1891. The cadets, as well as the alumni of both the United States Military Academy at West Point and the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis, are fiercely loyal supporters of their teams. Bragging rights are at stake. The game has been held at a variety of neutral playing fields over the years. The current record is Navy 52 wins, Army 49 wins, and 7 ties. The last tie was in 1981 at Veteran’s Stadium in Philadelphia with the final score of 3-3. Tell me either the year or venue of one of the earlier ties in the Army Navy rivalry.

3. Old Navy is a clothing store owned by Gap, Inc. They position themselves as a store catering to fashion oriented yet price conscious teens to adults. The stores are large and the advertising campaigns are up-tempo and hip. They have stores in most of the upscale malls in America and Canada. Tell me a city in Oklahoma that has an Old Navy store.

4. NCIS is a television show that focuses a fictional team of special agents working for the Naval Criminal Investigative Service. The team is lead by Leroy Jethro Gibbs, ably played by Mark Harmon. The final episode of the 2007 season saw the team broken up and reassigned to different areas around the world. It will be interesting to see what happens in the 2008 season.

Harmon has been around for a long time playing mostly roles in TV series and TV movies and mini-series. But he has had many theatrically released films also. Please tell me the name of one of Mark Harmon's films that was released prior to 1992.

5. The Village People were a wildly popular concept disco group formed in the late 1970’s. They scored a number of disco and dance hits, including their trademark "Macho Man", "Go West", and their biggest hit “Y.M.C.A.” In 1979, “In the Navy” rose to number two on the charts. Tell me the name of one of the original Village People or the persona that one of them donned for their act other than the Sailor/G.I./Military Man.

This round will close noonish on Wednesday, September 10. Have a great weekend.

Edited by maninmidohio (Fri Sep 05 2008 09:43 AM)

#438242 - Fri Sep 05 2008 09:57 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 1 - Monday
"September 1 and/or *Labor Day*"
Four frisky (and appreciated) players this time !

1. Please tell me a metal that composes the Liberty Bell, according to that International Nickel Company project.

For 10 Points:
Silver
For 5 Points:
Zinc (3)

Copper, Tin, Lead, Iron, Antimony, Arsenic, Gold and Nickel are also components of the bell.

2. Please tell me one of those ten men (a "Molly Maguire") hanged on June 21, 1877.

For 10 Points:
James Carroll, Thomas Duffy, Edward J. Kelly, James Roarity

The others to go that day were Michael J. Doyle, Hugh McGeehan, Thomas Munley, James Boyle, Alexander Campbell and John Donahue.

3. Please look here and tell me a 'leg' in the marathon in the Province of Ontario.

For 10 Points:
Hawkesbury, Sudbury
For 5 Points:
Wawa (2)

Lots more: Thunder Bay, Terrace Bay, Sault Ste Marie, Gravenhurst, London, Hamilton, Toronto, Pickering and Ottawa.

4. The Change To Win Federation has eight major ISSUES they focus on as per their website. Tell me one of 'em, OK?

For 10 Points:
Health Care, Immigrant Workers' Rights, Trade and Globalization, Workplace Health and Safety

Their other primary concerns are Jobs and Wages, Retirement Security, Freedom to Join Together in Unions -and- Employee Free Choice Act (EFCA).

5. Take a minute and tell me a sentence in the short essay written by *Spider Jack* there ...

For 10 Points:
He was hanging in his web, just waiting for some lunch when he heard a big boom, a bang, and a crunch!; That was way back in 1957, and Jack proclaimed it their own piece of heaven!
For 5 Points
He hurried back home, hugged and kissed his wife, said "Let's pack our bags honey, and start a new life!" (2)

Mr. Jack's complete story, as per the beast himself , can be read *here*.

The Results!

45 Points! .... Mugaboo, szabs
40 Points! .... brandz_mygirl
35 Points! .... manimidohio

Four outstanding players, four sets of terrific answers - but kudos, today, go to Mugaboo and szabs for grabbing the most points. Thanks, folks, for playing !

Edited by Gatsby722 (Fri Sep 05 2008 05:51 PM)

#438243 - Sat Sep 06 2008 02:53 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 6 - - Saturday 6 September

I had an uncle who lived at Stellenbosch, who I went to visit over 30 years ago. He claimed to have been the first to have used contour farming for vines in the area. So, we'll start our tour by taking the Wine Route.

1. Please name any varietal of red wine, produced by one of the farms on the Stellenbosch wine route.
2. Rhenish Girls High School, is the oldest girls school in South Africa, Please tell me one of their Administrative Staff.
3. I remember jumping off the diving platform at the university swimming pool. Please take a look at this page, and name anything you see in the photo.
4. Please give me the name of any committee member of the Stellenbosch Golf Club.
5. A trip to Africa would not be complete without a wildlife trip. I'll take you to nearby Wiesenhof Game Park, where you should tell me the name of a bird, who's name begins with a vowel, that you could spot there.

Round will close Thursday (Noon FT time), questions and newbies welcome.

#438244 - Sun Sep 07 2008 11:05 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 2 was due to close now, but I'm going to postpone the close for another 24 hours. I've only got 3 players so far. I did also forget to post a 24 hr-to-close notice yesterday. Thanks all.

#438245 - Sun Sep 07 2008 04:12 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Round three closes tomorrow

#438246 - Mon Sep 08 2008 10:14 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 3rd September 2008 results
Q2 A “Mystery” book, which concerns the Five Find-Outters and their dog. Again, fifteen to choose from
Q3 Name a resident ghost (or poltergeist) who lives at Hogwarts (at least five to choose from!)

For Ten Points
Fugue for Tinhorns, I've Never Been in Love Before, "The Oldest Established", Marry the Man Today, "If I Were a Bell",
For Five Points
“Follow the Fold” (2),
Not mentioned
“Sit Down you’re rocking the Boat”, “Luck be a Lady” and more

For Ten Points
The Mystery of the Pantomime Cat, The Mystery of the Strange Bundle, The Mystery of the Burnt Cottage,
For Five Points
The Mystery of Tally Ho Cottage, The Mystery of the Hidden House (2),
Not mentioned
The Mystery of Holly Lane, The Mystery of the Strange Messages,

For Ten Points
Sir Patrick Delaney Podmore (attended Nearly Headless Nick’s Deathday party), Peeves the Poltergeist, Professor Cuthbert Binns,
For Five Points
The Bloody Baron (2), Moaning Myrtle (2),
Not mentioned
The Fat Friar, Helena Ravenclaw and more

For Ten Points
Kitchen, Billiard Room, The Library, The Lounge,
For Five Points
Conservatory (3),
Not mentioned
Hall and more

For Ten Points
Fire in the school, Setting off the fire alarm for a prank/joke, Lice in their head, Injured, Heavy rain,
For Five Points
Infectious disease/being sick (2),
Not mentioned
Misbehaving and more

SCORES - 7 people!
Zorba_Skank – 50
Gatsby – 45
maninmidohio – 45
brandz_mygirl – 40
Gsmoke827 – 40
Szabs – 35
Mugaboo - 25

Well done to Zorba_Skank

#438247 - Mon Sep 08 2008 11:03 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 2 is now closed. Results in a while's time.

#438248 - Mon Sep 08 2008 01:15 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Sep 2 Round - Answers

Thank you to the 5 who took part in Another round of Bits-to-make-a-whole.

1) Please give me one of the traditional colours of a Rubik’s Cube.
For Ten Points: Green
For Five Points: Orange (2), Red (2)
Not mentioned: White, Yellow, Blue

2) Please give me the name of a well-known person, fictional or real, whose first name is either ‘Dolly’ or whose first name rhymes with ‘Dolly’.
For Ten Points: Polly Adler (bordello owner & author), Dolly Collins (English folk singer), Molly Ivins (newspaper columnist, political commentator, humorist & bestselling author), Molly Brown (Titanic survivor), Molly McIntryre (character from the “American Girl” series) 10 points all!
Not mentioned: Dolly Parton, Molly Ringwald, Molly Weasley, Holly Hunter to name a few

3) Other than Wally, please give me any other main character from the comic strip “Dilbert”.
For Ten Points: Pointy-Haired Boss, Asok, Catbert
For Five Points: Dogbert (2)
Not mentioned: Dilbert, Alice, Ratbert, Carol, Phil, Elbonians, Bob the Dinosaur

4) From here, please give me any of the World’s 10 most deadliest snakes as listed there.
For Ten Points: Death Adder, Tiger Snake, Taipan
For Five Points: Inland Taipan or Fierce Snake (2)
Not mentioned: Western Brown Snake, Black Tiger Snake, Sea Kraits, Mainland Tiger Snake, Eastern Tiger Snake, King Brown Snake

5) Please tell me another movie or TV show (please do not give me the episode titles) that the director has been involved in as a writer. Please pick an answer that has already been released. If you prefer, you can also click here to make your choice.
For Ten Points: A Bug’s Life, Mighty Mouse the New Adventures
For Five Points: Finding Nemo (3)
Not mentioned: Monsters Inc, Toy Story 2, Toy Story, A Story

RESULTS!

Top Place:
45 points: Mugaboo Well done!

Other Results:
40 points: Maninmidohio & Szabs
35 points: Zorba_Scank & Nakarinna

Thank you again to all who played. Hope everyone will have a fine week ahead.

And in case anyone’s interested, the ‘whole’ is of course “Wall·E” and the relationship with the hints are:
- one of the toys that “Wall·E” salvaged and treasures is the Rubik’s Cube
- “Wall·E” ‘s favourite (and only!) video tape is that of “Hello Dolly”
- “Wally” and “Wall·E”….okay I don’t think an explanation is needed here
- “Eve” is “Wall·E” ‘s friend.

#438249 - Tue Sep 09 2008 04:59 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Monday Sep 8 – quiz
Celebrity kids

1) My name is Suri and my birthday’s April 18. I am two years old. Mummy and Daddy are busy people but they always make time for me. I have lots of beautiful dresses to wear. I am an only child (at the moment). Mummy is currently very busy in New York, I think she is rehearsing for a Broadway play which will have its first preview performance this month. It is Mummy’s Broadway debut and she will play the part of “Ann Deever”. Can you please tell me any other character that appears in the play Mummy’s in.

2) We are brothers Sean and Jayden. Mummy and Daddy are divorced. Mummy had a really difficult 2007 but things started looking up in 2008. She recently won 3 awards at the MTV VMA, one of which is for Video of the Year. Can you please name a video, and the artist, that won the MTV VMA Video of the Year award since the year 2000, before Mummy did.

3) I was born in 1944 and have three children, Cameron, Dylan and Carys. My middle name is my Dad’s legally adopted first name. My Dad wrote a book called "Let's Face It: 90 Years of Living, Loving and Learning” and in Chapter 1, he quoted a sonnet from Shakespeare as a tribute to his wife Anne. Please give me any line from that sonnet.

4) Mummy and Daddy married on April 19, 1956 in what was described by the media as a fairy-tale wedding. Mummy was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1929. She was only 52 when she died in a car accident. Daddy died at the age of 81 on 6 April 2005. I have a younger brother and sister. I am a divorcee, a widow, a wife and mummy to 4 children. Can you please give me the name of any of my parents’ grandchildren.

5) My name is Indio Falconer. I was born on Sep 7, 1993. My parents are divorced. Dad starred in one of this year’s summer movie blockbusters. My granddad is also a celebrity in his own right, maybe not in the main stream like dad. Can you please give me a movie title that my granddad directed in the 60s and 70s.

This round will close on Sunday 14 Sep at noon FT time. Thanks for reading, hope you’ll have a good week ahead.

Edited by brandz_mygirl (Tue Sep 09 2008 05:05 AM)

#438250 - Tue Sep 09 2008 10:22 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Round 5, the Navy round, will close in just over 24 hours. Plenty of time to get your entries in.

#438251 - Tue Sep 09 2008 11:07 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 4 Results

6 players entered this round…

1. Please visit the National Audubon Society and choose a press release published in July or August.

For 10 points: “Audubon Urges Administration to Keep Seabird Protections in Place,” Wyoming Governor Executive Order,” “GOP Drill Bill Is Wrong Rx For the U.S.,” “Project Puffin Sets Record”

For 5 points: “Drilling Teshekpuk Lake Deferred, Audubon Victory” (2)

Not mentioned: “Flood Fears Still High 3 Years After Katrina,” “Hummingbirds Headed for Mississippi & Mexico,” “White House Launches Assault on Endangered Species Act,” and others

2. Please select another bridge that crosses the Mississippi River and is located entirely in Louisiana.

For 10 points: Sunshine Bridge, Luling Bridge/ Hale Boggs Memorial Bridge

For 5 points: Horace Wilkinson Bridge (2), Huey P. Long Bridge (2)

Not mentioned: Gramercy Bridge/Veteran's Memorial Bridge, Crescent City Connection

3. Please visit the nature institute’s website and pick an event listed for 2008.

For 10 points: Louisiana Swamp Fest, ZOObilation, Noon Years Eve, Asian Heritage Festival, Chase Zoo to Do Patron and Sponsor Gala, Adopt an Animal Parent Party

For 5 points: none

Not mentioned: Boo at the Zoo, Member-only Holiday Shopping Event

4. Please visit the National Register of Historic Places and tell me another designated historic place in Henderson, KY.

For 10 points: John E. McCallister House; Henderson, Louisville and Nashville Railroad Depot; Bluff City Shell Mound, Barret House

For 5 points: Ehlen, E. L., Livery and Sale Stable (2)

Not mentioned: Barret-Keach Farm, Delano-Alves House, Henderson Armory, and others

5. Please give me a state bird, as listed in The Birds of America, from a state beginning with the letter ‘m.’

For 10 points: Black-Cap Titmouse (Maine, Massachusetts); Common Blue-Bird (Missouri); Missouri [Western] Meadow-lark (Montana), American Robin/Migratory Thrush (Michigan)

For 5 points: Baltimore Oriole (Maryland) – (2)

Not Mentioned: Great Northern Diver/Loon (Minnesota); Common Mocking-bird (Mississippi)

Scores:

With 50 points: maninmidohio
With 45 points: szabs
With 40 points: Mugaboo, brandz_mygirl, zorba_scank
With 35 points: Gatsby722

Congratulations to maninmidohio for his perfect score and September trivia point!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#438252 - Wed Sep 10 2008 12:08 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Round 5

We had four enthusiastic players for the Navy Round.

1. From this web site tell me the designation of a YMS that was lost during 1944.

For 10 Points
– YMS-24 and YMS-30

For 5 Points – YMS-304 (2)

Not Chosen - YMS-19, YMS-21, YMS-70, YMS-350, YMS-378, YMS-385, and YMS-409

2. Tell me either the year or venue of a pre-1981 tie in the Army Navy rivalry.

For 10 Points
– 1923; Polo Grounds, NY, NY; Soldier Field, Chicago, IL; and 1948. Ten points for all!

Not Chosen – 1905; Osborne Field, Princeton, NJ; 1926; Municipal Stadium, Philadelphia, PA; 1956; 1965; and John F Kennedy Stadium, Philadelphia, PA

3. Tell me a city in Oklahoma that has an Old Navy store.

For 10 Points
– Norman, Stillwater, Tulsa, Owasso. Ten points all!

Not Chosen - Oklahoma City, Edmund, Shawnee, Enid, and Lawton

4. . Please tell me the name of one of Mark Harmon’s films that was released prior to 1992.

For 10 Points
- Comes a Horseman, Tuareg - Il guerriero del deserto (Tuareg: The Desert Warrior), Let's Get Harry, and Till There Was You. Ten points all!

Not Chosen - Beyond the Poseidon Adventure, Summer School, The Presidio, Stealing Home, Worth Winning, and Cold Heaven

5. Tell me the name of one of the original Village People or the persona that one of them donned for their act other than the Sailor/G.I./Military Man.

For 10 Points
– Felipe Rose and construction worker

For 5 Points – David Hodo

Not Chosen - police officer, Victor Willis, American Indian chief, cowboy, Randy Jones, leatherman, Glenn Hughes, and Alex Briley

The Results –

50 Points – szabs
45 Points – Mugaboo and brandz_mygirl
40 Points – gatsby722

So a well earned September Trivia Point is awarded to szabs for her perfect round. Thanks to all for playing.

#438253 - Thu Sep 11 2008 04:59 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 10 ~ Wednesday

Argh! V-e-r-y bad (again) PC day yesterday. I think it's *working* now - after 12 [more] hours of exasperating fix-ups? - and I apologize for not being able to post these yesterday.

Anyway ... I was watching, in the middle of a no-sleep-to-be-had night, those endless strings of painfully dreary (but cheap, if you're trying to sell stuff nobody wants on TV, per minute) infomercials. Most of it was of no interest to me ~ but then I heard this old familiar song, and saw an old video clip of this fellow singing it ...

1. In 1961 John Phillips and Scott McKenzie formed The Journeymen, enjoying a brief success. After disbanding, they discussed forming a group called 'The Mamas & the Papas'. McKenzie wanted to go solo, so Phillips enlisted Denny Doherty, Cass Elliot and Michelle Phillips (his second wife) - and the new band moved to California. Two years later, McKenzie followed and signed with Ode Records. Phillips wrote and produced "San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Flowers In Your Hair)" for his pal. To start, might you tell me a single released by The Mamas and the Papas that reached #15 (or higher) on the USA -or- UK charts?

2. The Rock, a 1996 action film dealing with rogue Marine Force Recon commandos, used the "San Francisco ..." tune in its soundtrack - which made perfect geographical sense (albeit it an odd fit thematically) because the movie's setting is Alcatraz Island which sits in the San Francisco Bay. Alcatraz originally served as a lighthouse, then a military fortification, then a military prison followed by a federal prison until 1963. During its 29 years of operation, the penitentiary claimed no prisoners as having ever successfully escaped. 36 prisoners were involved in 14 attempts, two men trying twice; seven were shot and killed, and two drowned. Please tell me any of the men who "escaped" (but didn't get very far OR didn't survive very long) Alcatraz in the 195Os or 1960s. I found nine ... there may be more.

3. Disney's California Adventure Park (commonly referred to as DCA) is a theme park in Anaheim, adjacent to Disneyland, which opened in February 2001. This 55-acre theme park was built as part of an expansion that transformed the Disneyland area/hotels into the Disneyland Resort and consists of five areas: Sunshine Plaza, Hollywood Pictures Backlot, The Golden State, A Bug's Land and Paradise Pier. The park there, too, uses "San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Flowers In Your Hair)" in various parts of it - which makes much more sense than hearing it in a prison flick - the song encourages migration to California, after all. Most would rather visit a theme park, I'm sure, than an end-of-the-line penitentiary? Anyway, starting here, navigate about and find a store in DCA selling *GENERAL* merchandise (no "specialty" shops, OK?)

4. The song in question today was released to promote the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival, a time referred to as "The Summer of Love". A photographer captured the 'flavor' of the era notably - especially San Francisco/Newport and the "flower children". In the 1960s, Lisa Law and thousands of other Americans were moved by Vietnam, racial injustice, fear of nuclear annihilation, and rampant materialism. It was a turbulent, special and evocative time - a slice of modern history that changed the social landscape. Lisa Law has her work on display in museums these days. Have a look at the Smithsonian Institute website and find Miss Law's gallery - then tell me the name of one of the photos in her Social Activism and Counterculture Exhibit. Thanks! Key words indicating your choice will be suitable as answers.

5. So strange, really. All at 2AM, groggy, channel surfing, seeing all those brain-numbing infomercials. The song showed up as part of a "must have" music collection from the 1960s and while I'd heard the tune countless times, I'd never actually seen the singer of it. But there he was, in all of his stringy-haired and hippie-anthem glory. And it struck me how gentle and sincere his face / demeanor was as he went. And I thought that maybe, just maybe, there was something TOO gentle and/or uncomplicated about him ~ maybe he was the embodiment, somehow, of what that era "hoped" to be, wanted to happen? He's still a *hippie*, by the sounds of it. Almost 70 now, but a man still too "gentle to run with the wolves". Or so I like to think, anyway . On Scott McKenzie's own website he offers *A Message* to those who visit. Tell me a sentence in his message ...

This will close Monday at noon-ish. Hopefully that'll be Monday of this year, sometime . We'll see if I ever manage to get back online ever again after today ....

Edited by Gatsby722 (Fri Sep 12 2008 03:59 AM)

#438254 - Thu Sep 11 2008 11:37 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 6 - 4 of the most faithful played

1. Please name any varietal of red wine, produced by one of the farms on the Stellenbosch wine route.
For 10 points: Cabernet Franc; Pinot Noir; Ruby Cabernet; Tinta Barocca
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned: Cinsaut; Gamay Noir; Malbec; Mourvedre; Petit Verdot; Sangiovese; Zinfandel

2. Rhenish Girls High School, is the oldest girls school in South Africa, Please tell me one of their Administrative Staff.
For 10 points: Mrs Francoise Arzul; Ms Samantha Henery; Ms Brenda Kriel; Mrs Mary Shaw
Not mentioned: Mrs Janine Arendse; Mrs Cicero; Ms Kathleen Shuttleworth; Mrs Jacqui Struwig

3. I remember jumping off the diving platform at the university swimming pool. Please take a look at this page, and name anything you see in the photo.
For 10 points: Blue bins; Night sky; Reflection in pool; Tree
Not mentioned include: Building, Lamp posts; Lights; Paving slabs; Pool, Windows

4. Please give me the name of any committee member of the Stellenbosch Golf Club.
For 10 points: Rudi Buys; John MacKinnon; Johan Naude; Gys Steyn
Not mentioned: Rupert Bosch; Niel Hoogenhout; Lol Jones; Jan du Preez; Dirk Tofte; Alec Velissariou; Vivian van Wyk

5. A trip to Africa would not be complete without a wildlife trip. I'll take you to nearby Wiesenhof Game Park, where you should tell me the name of a bird, who's name begins with a vowel, that you could spot there.
For 10 points: Egyptian Goose; Olive Thrush; Orangebreasted Sunbird; Orangethroated Longclaw
Not mentioned: African Black Duck; African Fish Eagle; African Goshawk; African Spoonbill; European Starling; Olive Woodpecker

Scores:
50 points: Brandz_mygirl; Gatsby722; Szabs; Maninmidohio

Far too good for my liking, I have to give the lot of you a point, after such brilliant play.

#438255 - Fri Sep 12 2008 05:19 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 12

On this round I will be taking you to an array of places, enjoy your visit.

1. There are some charming places to visit in the UK, but funnily enough if they are not mentioned in the run of the mill tourist guide books people just tend not to explore these sometimes beautiful and fascinating alternative destinations. Sometimes it’s a blessing that these places are not over run by tourists as they would most definitely loose their charm. From this site , could you please give me the name of one of UK’s top ten unsung wonders.

2. Nothing shouts adventure quite like a road trip, especially if it is a road less travelled, unfortunately with today’s petrol prices, it’s not so cheap anymore to go on some of these adventuresome trips, but at least we can read about them. From this site , please give me one of the eight recommended routes.

3. Now for this question I will be taking you on a visit to some of the world’s most extravagant restaurants, not only for their location & décor, but also for their prices. From this site , give me the name & location of one of these restaurants. (please don’t faint at the prices )

4. According to a recent survey carried out in Australia these places are considered to be the "Top 10 views around the world". From this site , would you be so kind and choose one of the views.

5. Propeller Island is a pseudonym used by the German artist Lars Stroschen to publish his audio-visual creations, unlimited diversity, repeating nothing and copying nothing are the guiding principles here. One of his most popular creations is a hotel in Berlin - Germany, known as the City Lodge, where every single room is absolutely unique, or some might say, they are the weirdest hotel rooms in the world, leaving their hotel guests with unforgettable memories. From their site , go to the ROOMS section, and please choose any one of the 45 rooms in which you think you would have a good nights sleep, and with this, I wish you all some pleasant dreams .

Let's say we close this one on Wednesday the 17th afternoonish FT time. Till then have a great weekend .

#438256 - Sun Sep 14 2008 10:15 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 10 will be *done* in 24 hours, so says the calendar on the wall ....

#438257 - Sun Sep 14 2008 11:04 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 8 is closed. Results pending.....

#438258 - Mon Sep 15 2008 02:32 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 15 ~ Monday

At a bit of a loss for a start (not an unusual status at my desk ), I picked up the TV Guide. New Fall television shows are starting. That magazine annually chooses their *Editorial Picks* of episodes they've previewed (and especially liked, for miscellaneous reasons). None of this means the new program(s) will succeed, of course. But it helped lead me to thinking up some questions as they praised, schmoozed and so forth. Here's a few of their staff "Favorites" this season:

1. First up is "The Ex-List" (CBS). Premise: A psychic tells Bella Bloom she has one year to get married, or else she never will. Unexpected development, though: her true love is someone she has already dated ... and the frantic search for old boyfriends begins. It could work as a weekly series, but I could think of no question to ask about the show - so I hopped on the name 'Bella', which put me in mind of Bella Savitsky Abzug (1920-1998). I always admired the sassy American Congresswoman who, as she struggled against sexism and overall injustice, was referred to as "Hurricane Bella". She's been honored to be included on the Women of Valor posters from the Jewish Women's Archive, too, among her many tributes. Please tell me another person who appears on those *Women of Valor* posters whose first OR last name does not begin with a vowel.

2. "My Own Worst Enemy" (NBC) Premise: 'Henry' is a mild-mannered suburban dad, and 'Edward' is a mysterious international spy. The catch: they share a body, and Henry is starting to become aware of his very different alter ego. Yes - a total (jazzed-up) retread of a certain Doctor Jekyll and his less-than-predictable chum Mr. Hyde, eh? Even the names all match up! Christian Slater plays the lead, though, and that's what's getting the bulk of the *buzz*. Scottish writer Robert Louis Stevenson published his novella "...Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" in 1886 and I'd forgotten, until looking about, how entirely terrific the book was - written brilliantly as it probed the human condition (in wildly extreme conditions, of course). Over on NovelGuide, they pick ten notable quotes from Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Kindly tell me one of them. Note: there's some exposition attached to most of 'em - all you need send is the quote itself, OK?

3. "Hole in the Wall" (Fox) Pemise: [Sometimes called "Human Tetris"] A game where contestants have mere seconds to bend their bodies to fit through oddly shaped holes in a wall that is rushing at them, ready to drag them into a pool of water. It looks preponderously difficult to master, too, I assure you . Alexey Leonidovich Pajitnov, born 1955, is a computer engineer from Russia now living in the United States, who developed the popular computer game Tetris (the inspiration for the new series) in 1985 while working for the Computing Centre of the Soviet Academy of Sciences. He's created, or helped to create, many other games since the mid 1980s. Please tell me a game he is partly responsible for developing (as designer, conceptualist, idealist or contributor) between 1991 and 2000.

4. "True Blood" (HBO) Premise: Set in an unspecified future, the invention of synthetic blood makes it possible for vampires to walk among us. Anna Paquin plays Sookie Stackhouse, a telepathic, small-town waitress in rural Louisiana in the "dramedy". Charlaine Harris is a bestselling author who has been writing mysteries for over twenty years and is responslible for the novels upon which the show, and Miss Stackhouse, is based. Harris created the "Southern Vampire Mysteries", following Sookie as she tries to solve predicaments involving vampires, werewolves, and other creatures of the night - all offered with a unique blend of mystery, humor, romance, and the supernatural. I need to know a novel in that series with the word *Dead* in its title ...

5. "Fringe" (Fox) Premise: An FBI agent enlists an unstable scientist and his con-artist son to help solve the mystery of a plane full of people killed by a mysterious skin condition. The deadly flight appears to be part of "the pattern," a larger, disturbing nightmare scenario. Add to that enigmatic summary the tiny fact that Joshua Jackson will be in the cast, and the series has audiences mighty anxious. Jeffrey Jacob "J.J." Abrams is the mastermind behind the program, the fourth television series wherein he served as (co-) creator, writer & executive producer. To close, please determine the 'top'-billed member of the cast of any of those four Abrams shows (as per IMDb) and tell me the first, middle (initials, in one case) -OR- last name of any of those actors listed first on the rosters of cast members. Note: NOT looking for 'full' names here. Components of full names is the goal ...

I believe this will close on Friday at (or about) lunch time, OK? Have a fantabulous week !

Edited by Gatsby722 (Mon Sep 15 2008 02:36 AM)

#438259 - Tue Sep 16 2008 07:03 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
ROUND 16 - Tuesday

Yay! I'm back in business . A bit "rusty" but definitely happy to be back playing and hosting at a normal pace.

Here are the questions for today:

1. Today, September 16th, is Jennifer Tilly's birthday. A lovely actress, probably quite famous for being the "Bride of Chucky" and, more recently, for winning (in 2005) a World Series of Poker bracelet (and $158,625) in the Ladies' No-Limit Texas Hold 'Em event, outlasting 600 other players. She also stared on Broadway and has had roles in many popular TV shows - "Frasier", "Cheers", "Moonlighting", "Hill Street Blues" and a few others.
I remember noticing her for the first time in "Music from Another Room", a 1998 romantic comedy where she plays Nina Swann, one of the sisters in the Swann family, a family with which Jude Law's character gets entangled a lot .
-- Please give me any other character (apart from Nina Swann] in "Music from Another Room" who has both a first and a last name.

2. On its soundtrack "Music from Another Room" features "Truly, Madly, Deeply" by Savage Garden. The song was a success in the US in 1998, topping the Billboard Hot 100 Singles chart for two weeks and the Adult Contemporary chart for eleven weeks. It also brought Savage Garden an ARIA Music Award for Single of the Year and for Highest Selling Single in 1997.
-- Please pick any of the NOMINATED songs OR artists/bands in those two ARIA Music Awards categories I've just mentioned. [And we're talking 1997 here, yes? ]

3. Savage Garden [Darren Hayes (vocals) and Daniel Jones (keyboards, sequencing, and guitar], is an Australian pop duo that enjoyed major international success between 1997 and 2000 with a string of hits that stayed for weeks at #1 in various charts. They performed one of their hits - "Affirmation" - as part of the 2000 Sydney Olympic Closing Ceremony.
-- Please name one of the countries who has won between 10 and 20 medals (total count) at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney.

4. Fatso the Fat-Arsed Wombat was the unofficial mascot of the Millennium Games (2000 Summer Olympics). He was a life-size stuffed toy wombat with a lazy, cheerful expression and comically pronounced rump - truly adorable character .
Wombats are crepuscular and nocturnal Australian marsupials, they dig extensive burrow systems with rodent like front teeth and powerful claws, are herbivores and have an extraordinarily slow metabolism [I think I might have some wombat ancestors ], taking around 14 days to complete digestion. OK now.
-- Let's visit Wombania's Wombat Information Index and choose one of the Wombat Books reviewed in there. Please restrict your choice to the first page of books only. Thank you!

5. Back to (slow ) metabolism which is the set of chemical reactions that occur in living organisms in order to maintain life. These processes allow organisms to grow and reproduce, maintain their structures, and respond to their environments - the metabolism determines which substances an organism will find nutritious and which it will find poisonous.
The chemical reactions of metabolism are organized into metabolic pathways, in which one chemical is transformed into another by a sequence of enzymes.
-- Please have a look at the nicely coloured diagram of the major metabolic pathways and give me a word (one word) that appears on yellow background.

The round will close on Friday, 8PM Fun Trivia time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002