Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#438260 - Tue Sep 16 2008 12:11 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
I want to apologize for not posting a Round 11. I was hoping to have a chance to create the round over the weekend, but - as you can see - that didn't happen. I will be posting a round this Thursday, however.

#438261 - Wed Sep 17 2008 01:56 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 17th September 2008
A nice "easy" round

Q1 A boy’s name beginning with Z
Q2 A girls name beginning with Z
Q3 A profession beginning with Z
Q4 A FICTIONAL character with the first name or surname beginning with Z
Q5 Any animal beginning with Z

This closes over the weekend

#438262 - Wed Sep 17 2008 04:41 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Just a reminder Round 12 will be closing in about 12 hours. Late entries are more than welcome.

#438263 - Thu Sep 18 2008 04:50 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 12 is closed. Having a bit of problem with my screen , hopefully, answers will come shortly .

#438264 - Thu Sep 18 2008 05:56 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Sep 8 Round - Answers

Thank you to the 5 wonderful players took part in Celebrity kids. Everyone who played the round know of course who all these celebrity kids/parents are in the questions, but details have been included below for anyone else who might be wondering.

1) My name is Suri. Can you please tell me any other (other than “Ann Deevers”) character that appears in the play mummy’s (Katie Holmes/Mrs Tom Cruise and the play is “All My Children”) in.
For Ten Points: Joe Keller, Jim Bayliss, Frank Lubey
For Five Points: Lydia Lubey (2)
Not mentioned: Kate Keller, Chris Keller, George Deever, Sue Bayliss, Bert

2) We are brothers Sean and Jayden. Can you please name a video, and the artist, that won the MTV VMA Video of the Year award since the year 2000, before mummy (Britney Spears/former Mrs Kevin Federline) did.
For Ten Points: 2004 – Outkast “Hey Ya!”, 2005 – Green Day “Boulevard of Broken Dreams”, 2007 – Rihanna featuring Jay-Z “Umbrella”.
For Five Points: 2002 - Eminem “Without Me” (2)
Not mentioned: 2000 – Eminem “The Real Slim Shady”, 2001 – Christina Aguilera, Lil’ Kim, Mya and Pink “Lady Marmalade”, 2003 – Missy Elliott “Work It”, 2006 – Panic! at the Disco “I Write Sins Not Tragedies”

3) My dad (Kirk and I’m Michael, of the clan Douglas) wrote a book called "Let's Face It: 90 Years of Living, Loving and Learning” and in Chapter 1, he quoted a sonnet from Shakespeare as a tribute to his wife Anne. Please give me any line from that sonnet.
For Ten Points: See bolded lines below.
For Five Points: None!
Not mentioned: See unbolded lines below.

Sonnet #29
When, in disgrace with Fortune and men's eyes,
I all alone beweep my outcast state,
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries,
And look upon myself and curse my fate,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featured like him, like him with friends possessed,
Desiring this man's art, and that man's scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least,
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven's gate
For thy sweet love remembered such wealth brings,
That then I scorn to change my state with kings.

4) Mummy and daddy married on April 19, 1956. Can you please give me the name of any of my parents’ grandchildren (I’m Caroline of Monaco, mummy is Grace Kelly and daddy Prince Rainier).
For Ten Points: Louis Ducruet, Pauline Ducruet, Camille Gottlieb, Andrea Casiraghi, Pierre Casiraghi
Not mentioned: Charlotte of Casiraghi, Princess Alexandra of Hanover, Jazmin Grace Grimaldi, Alexandre Coste

5) My name is Indio Falconer. Can you please give me a movie title that my granddad (granddad is Robert Downey Sr. I think you can work out who my dad is) directed in the 60s and 70s.
For Ten Points: No More Excuses (1968), Putney Swope (1969), Babo 73 (1964)
For Five Points: A Touch of Greatness (1964) (2)
Not mentioned: Balls Bluff (1961), Sweet Smell of Sex (1965), Chafed Elbows (1966), Pound (1970), Greaser’s Palace (1972), Sticks and Bones (1973), Moment to Moment (1975)

RESULTS!

Top Place:
50 points: Szabs Great work! And full points no less

Other Results:
45 points: Mugaboo and Denni
40 points: Maninmidohio and Gatsby

Very good results from everyone. Wishing all of you a great great week.

#438265 - Thu Sep 18 2008 07:41 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 12 5 Faithful players participated in this travelling round.

1. There are some charming places to visit in the UK, but funnily enough if they are not mentioned in the run of the mill tourist guide books people just tend not to explore these sometimes beautiful and fascinating alternative destinations. From this site , could you please give me the name of one of UK’s top ten unsung wonders.

For 10 Points : Dollar Glen - Stirlingshire, Pistyll Rhaeadr- Powys, Horsey - Norfolk
For 5 Points : Southwell Workhouse - Nottinghamshire(2)

Others : North Gower, Natural History Museum at Tring, Slievenacloy Nature Reserve, Upwey Wishing Well, Noar Hill, Brockadale Nature Reserve

2. Nothing shouts adventure quite like a road trip, especially if it is a road less travelled, unfortunately with today’s petrol prices, it’s not so cheap anymore to go on some of these adventuresome trips, but at least we can read about them. From this site , please give me one of the eight recommended routes.

10 Points to all : Route 20 – Oregon to Massachusetts – USA, La Paz to Coroico, Bolivia - South America, The Transfagarasan Highway – Romania, The Appian Way – Italy, Route 89, Canada to Mexico

Others were : Sydney to Melbourne – Australia, Sichuan-Tibet Highway - Southwest China, Cooktown to Cape York –Australia

3. Now for this question I will be taking you on a visit to some of the world’s most extravagant restaurants, not only for their location & décor, but also for their prices. From this site , give me the name & location of one of these restaurants. (please don’t faint at the prices )

For 10 Points : Solo Per Due, Umbria - Italy
For 5 Points: Aragawa - Tokyo, Japan (2), Sketch: Library & Lecture Room, London – UK (2)

Among others : Ithaa –The Maldives, El Bulli – Spain, Masa – Usa, Il Teatro – Macau, Eagle Ski Club - Switzerland

4. According to a recent survey carried out in Australia these places are considered to be the "Top 10 views around the world". From this site , would you be so kind and choose one of the views.

For 10 Points : Lipu and Yaoshan Mountains from the Lijiang River Guilin - China.
For 5 Points : White cliffs of Dover (2), Grand Canyon Skywalk (2)

Among others : Corcovado Mountain - Brazil, Mount Everest from Kalla Pattar – Nepal, Hawaii's Lanikai Beach.

5. Propeller Island is a pseudonym used by the German artist Lars Stroschen to publish his audio-visual creations, unlimited diversity, repeating nothing and copying nothing are the guiding principles here. One of his most popular creations is a hotel in Berlin - Germany, known as the City Lodge, where every single room is absolutely unique, or some might say, they are the weirdest hotel rooms in the world, leaving their hotel guests with unforgettable memories. From their site , go to the ROOMS section, and please choose any one of the 45 rooms in which you think you would have a good nights sleep, and with this, I wish you all some pleasant dreams .

10 Points to all : Clouds, Therapy, The Table, Glas House, Chicken Curry

Among others : Flying Bed, Symbol Room, 4 Beams, Upside Down, Gruft (coffins for beds )

Scores

The sole winner with a score of 45 points : Denni19
With 40 points: Gatsby722, Maninmidohio & Mugaboo
With 35 points: Brandz_mygirl
Welcome back and congratulations are in order to Denni19 , for picking up a September point . Thank you all for playing, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your week, wherever you are .

#438266 - Thu Sep 18 2008 08:23 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 18 - Thursday

Today's theme is The Godfather...

1. Please name one of Vito Corleone’s four children in The Godfather trilogy or the actors who played them.

2. The BBC reported in November 2007 that Italian police found a code of behavior for Mafia members. Please select a ‘commandment’ from this list.

3. Marlon Brando is number 4 on the American Film Institute’s ‘100 Years… 100 Stars’ list. Please pick another male actor who made it to the top twelve of this list.

4. Mario Puzo wrote a number of books including novels and nonfiction. Other than “The Godfather,” please choose a novel authored by Mario Puzo.

5. The Five Families are five major Mafia crime families in the The Godfather. These families are based on the real life New York Five Families. Please give me the name of one of the fictional or real Five Families.

This round will close Tuesday, September 23rd at noon FT time. Please PM me with any questions. Good luck!

#438267 - Fri Sep 19 2008 07:30 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 19

I have just had the one year anniversary of my first signing onto FunTrivia.com. In honor of that event this will be the FunTrivia Round.

1. One of the mainstays here at FunTrivia is the great volunteer staff of editors that see to it that the quizzes on this site are of the highest quality. Please tell me one of the editors for either the Celebrities or World Category.

2. I remember well the first quiz that I created and the anxiety of it going through the quiz review process. But it made it through, and I was very pleased with the result. Tell me one of the correct answers in that quiz: Quirky Place Names in Pennsylvania that you will find here .

3. One of the real joys of this site is when you join a team and are made to feel welcome. You make so many new friends that way. I feel lucky to be a member of the Revenge of the Llamas team. Please tell me the name of a Llama that begins with a vowel.

4. One of the fun things to do on FunTrivia is to accumulate badges. Tell me one of the Badges that I have gotten that only has one word (numbers do not count as words) on the badge (exclude the Crossword Badge because even though it is one word it looks like two on the badge).

5. I have really enjoyed hosting a trivia round every other week here in the Forums. I did my first one back in May. Please tell me the theme of any of the rounds that I have hosted (excluding this one, of course).

This round will conclude about noonish FT time on Wednesday, September 24. Enjoy your weekend.

#438268 - Sat Sep 20 2008 01:50 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 20 - - Saturday 20 September

With the death earlier this week of Richard Wright of Pink Floyd, I thought I would base this round on his solo album "Wet Dream".

1. The first track on the album is called "Mediterranean C". Name any country that borders the Mediterranean sea and name ends in a consonant.

2. The album was recorded about 40 miles from the Mediterranean at the Super Bear Studio in France. Give me one of the tape machines available at Studio Miraval.

3. Two of the tracks were part written by his first wife. Give the first name of any of Rick Wright's wives, children or grandson.

4. The third track is an intramental called "Waves". Please give me an example of a type of wave.

5. Another purely instrumental peice is "Mad Yannis Dance". Yannis Adoniou is the Artistic Director of Kunst-Stoff, a dance company based in San Francisco. Please name any dancer who's with KUNST–STOFF (No guests artists please).

Round will close Thursday (Noon FT time).

#438269 - Sat Sep 20 2008 08:27 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Round 16 is now closed. Results will appear soon .

#438270 - Sat Sep 20 2008 11:18 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Results for ROUND 16 - Tuesday [no specific theme]

1 -- Please give me any other character (apart from Nina Swan] in "Music from Another Room" who has both a first and a last name.

10 points: Clara Klammer

5 points: Karen Swan [3]

Not mentioned: Anna Swan, Grace Swan, Billy Swan, Louis Klammer, Lorenzo Palmieri

2 -- Please pick any of the NOMINATED songs OR artists/bands in ARIA Music Awards’ categories Single of the Year and Highest Selling Single in 1997.

10 points ALL : "Buy Me a Pony", “Wishes”, “Don’t Say Goodbye”, Leonardo's Bride (band)

3 -- Please name one of the countries who has won between 10 and 20 medals (total count) at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney.

10 points ALL – great!: Greece, Bulgaria, Spain, Canada

4 -- Let's visit Wombania's Wombat Information Index and choose one of the Wombat Books reviewed in there. Please restrict your choice to the first page of books only.

10 points ALL – fantastic!: “Wombat Divine”, “Harry the Hairy-Nosed Wombat”, “Diary of a Wombat”, “Wombat Stew”

5 -- Please have a look at the nicely coloured diagram of the major metabolic pathways and give me a word (one word) that appears on yellow background.

10 points: Group, Pathway

5 points: Glutamate [2]

Not mentioned: Penthose, Phosphate, Amino, Sugars, Metabolism, Acid, Synthesis

The RESULTS for Round 16 are:

With 50 points: Szabs – Excellent job !

With 45 points: Maninmidohio

With 40 points: Brandz_mygirl and Mugaboo

A well deserved monthly point goes to Szabs for a perfect score. Congratulations!

Thank you ALL for participating, you’re the best mates one can ever have !

#438271 - Sun Sep 21 2008 12:58 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Round 17 will close tomorrow

#438272 - Mon Sep 22 2008 10:45 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 18 will be closing in just over 24 hours...

#438273 - Mon Sep 22 2008 12:14 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 17th September Results

Q1 A boy’s name beginning with Z
For Ten Points
Zared, Zakeer, Zeke, Zoltan, Zachary, Zephaniah
For Five Points
Ten points to all
Not mentioned
Zebedee and more

Q2 A girls name beginning with Z
For Ten Points
Zinnia, Zifrona, Zana, Zaltana, Zenobia, Zilpha
For Five Points
Ten points to all
Not mentioned
Zoë and more

Q3 A profession beginning with Z
For Ten Points
zither maker, Zope Developer, zither player, ZINC-PLATING-MACHINE OPERATOR, Zookeeper, Zemindar (colonial Indian tax collector),
For Five Points
Ten points to all
Not mentioned
Zebra breeder and more

Q4 A FICTIONAL character with the first name or surname beginning with Z
For Ten Points
Ziva David (NCIS), Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander (from "Sword of Truth" series by Terry Goodkind, Jean-Baptiste Emanuel ZORG (from “The Fifth Element”), Derek Zoolander (from the movie Zoolander), Zack Allan (from TV Series "Babylon 5"), Jia Zhen ("Dream of the Red Chamber")
For Five Points
Ten points to all
Not mentioned
Zacharias Smith (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix) and more

Q5 Any animal beginning with Z
For Ten Points
Zyzzyva, Zosterops, Zambezi Flapshell Turtle, Zipper Loach (Fish), Zanzibar Red Colours, Zonure
For Five Points
Ten points to all
Not mentioned
Zebra and more

SCORES - 6 players
brandz_mygirl – 50
Denni – 50
maninmidohio - 50
Mugaboo – 50
Nakarinna – 50
Szabs – 50

well done to: brandz_mygirl, Denni, maninmidohio, Mugaboo, Nakarinna and Szabs

#438274 - Mon Sep 22 2008 12:37 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Monday Sep 22 – quiz
Mondayis today's quiz title. Thought a quiz about Monday would be quite nice for a Monday…

1) I don’t usually get the Monday blues but I do experience Sunday night blues from time to time (I hate it. It spoils my weekend. I would rather not experience any form of the blues but if I have to, the Monday blues would be the lesser of the two evils I think). I’m okay once I manage to get out of bed on Monday morning though. From here, please give me any way to beat the Monday blues that is odd-numbered, just the first few words of each point that is in bold will be fine.

2) ‘Saint Monday’ is the tradition of being absent from work on a Monday and this tradition has apparently been around for hundreds of years, as early as the 17th century. Absenteeism from work for whatever reasons is a major problem for businesses and industries because of wages paid to absent staff, overtime to cover the lost hours, temporary staff cover . According to this report, there is a table of the top 5 causes of absenteeism from work, as reported by employees as well as showing how managers interpret those causes. Could you please give me any one of those causes, from either the employees’ –OR- managers’ points of view. If the cause is exactly the same from both points of view, that will count as one cause. Hope that’s clear.

3) “Manic Monday”, written by Prince, was the first hit single for the band “The Bangles”. Please tell me the name of any album released by “The Bangles”.

4) “Monday’s Child” is a nursery rhyme that tells the fortunes of a child based on the day of the child’s birth. From “Monday’s Child”, could you please tell me the fortune of a child born on any day of the week (will consist of one or two lines from the rhyme). There are several slightly different versions of the nursery rhyme, so could you please use the original 1887 version when choosing your answer.

5) Easter Monday is the day after Easter Sunday and is celebrated as an official holiday in some countries. Please give me the name of a country that has Easter Monday as an official holiday, restricting your answer to a country whose name begins with a vowel.

This round will close on Saturday 27 September at noon FT time. Gentle Monday everyone.

#438275 - Tue Sep 23 2008 10:29 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Round 19 (The FunTrivia Round) will close in approximately 24 hours. Plenty of time to get your entry in - all welcomed.

#438276 - Tue Sep 23 2008 11:05 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 18 Results

5 players entered this round…

1. Please name one of Vito Corleone’s four children in The Godfather trilogy or the actors who played them.

For 10 points: Al Pacino, Frederico "Fredo" Corleone, James Caan

For 5 points: John Cazale (2)

Not mentioned: Michael Corleone, Santino "Sonny" Corleone, Constanzia "Connie" Corleone, Talia Shire

2. The BBC reported in November 2007 that Italian police found a code of behavior for Mafia members. Please select a ‘commandment’ from this list.

For 10 points: none

For 5 points: #8 – When asked for any information, the answer must be the truth (3); #6 – Appointments must absolutely be respected (2)

Not mentioned: #1 – No-one can present himself directly to another of our friends. There must be a third person to do it; #2 – Never look at the wives of friends; #3 – Never be seen with cops; #4 – Don't go to pubs and clubs; #5 – Always being available for Cosa Nostra is a duty, even if your wife's about to give birth; #7 – Wives must be treated with respect; #9 – Money cannot be appropriated if it belongs to others or to other families; #10 – People who can't be part of Cosa Nostra: anyone who has a close relative in the police, anyone with a two-timing relative in the family, anyone who behaves badly and doesn't hold to moral values.

3. Marlon Brando is number 4 on the American Film Institute’s ‘100 Years… 100 Stars’ list. Please pick another male actor who made it to the top twelve of this list.

For 10 points: Fred Astaire

For 5 points: Gary Cooper (2), Clark Gable (2)

Not mentioned: Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant, James Stewart, Henry Fonda, James Cagney, Spencer Tracy, Charles Chaplin, Gregory Peck

4. Mario Puzo wrote a number of books including novels and nonfiction. Other than “The Godfather,” please choose a novel authored by Mario Puzo.

For 10 points: "The Fourth K," "The Last Don," "Omerta," "The Fortunate Pilgrim," "Fools Die"

For 5 points: none

Not mentioned: "The Dark Arena," "The Runaway Summer of Davie Shaw," "The Sicilian," "The Family"

5. The Five Families are five major Mafia crime families in the The Godfather. These families are based on the real life New York Five Families. Please give me the name of one of the fictional or real Five Families.

For 10 points: Gambino (real)

For 5 points: Stracci (fictional) – (2), Cuneo (fictional) - 2

Not Mentioned: Real: Bonanno, Colombo, Genovese, Lucchese; Fictional: Corleone, Tattaglia, Barzini

Scores:

With 40 points: Mugaboo
With 35 points: brandz_mygirl, maninmidohio, denni19
With 30 points: szabs

Congratulations to Mugaboo for winning one September trivia point!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#438277 - Tue Sep 23 2008 03:15 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Tuesday Sep 23 – quiz

Things that terrify me. Okay, not so much as terrify but they are in the ‘I will go out of my way to avoid if I can’ category.

1) Relatives. Coming from a very large family on both parents’ side and living in a very small country, you can almost hardly avoid stepping on a relative whichever way you turn. And if you start including those who are related by reason of marriage, it’s a never ending list. Relatives are very curious about each other, at least mine are, and spend large amounts of time on the phone or at family functions discussing events occurring in one another’s lives and then passing this information on to other family members or even to outsiders. The office grapevine has nothing on my extended family grapevine. I’m essentially a very private person so you see why my relatives terrify me and I practice the avoidance route. Now back to the quiz. I enjoyed the movie “The Royal Tenenbaums” which is about an eccentric family headed by Royal Tenenbaum and his wife Etheline. Would you please give me the name of an actor/actress that appears in the movie, restricting your choice to the first 10 names that appear in the Imdb listing.

2) Being photographed. I have few pictures of myself, preferring to be behind the camera lens than in front of it. Annie Leibovitz is an American photographer, famous for her photographs of celebrities. From here, can you please give me the name of a celebrity mentioned in the section titled “Famous Leibovitz photos”.

3) Going to the dentist. I don’t think I need to explain why. From here, can you please name any part of a tooth.

4) Public speaking. The fear of public speaking is known as glossophobia and it’s very common. A Jerry Seinfeld quote: "The average person at a funeral would rather be in the casket than doing the eulogy." That’s me, the average person in the quote. There is a North American Public Speaking Championship which is organised annually until 2002 and biannually thereafter, and features top university English-speaking public speakers vying for the title. Please give me the name of a winner from any year since (and including) 2000.

5) Making small talk. The awkward silences when topics run dry, when you’re trying desperately to be interesting and the other person(s) is/are looking bored, when it’s your turn to be cornered by someone really boring and you have to struggle to keep your attention focused, when a conversational gaffe happens – all nightmarish situations. According to this article, a golden rule to small talk is simply to be nice, brilliance is not a requirement. From the same article, could you please give me any one of the 10 big rules of small talk, just the headings will do.

This round will close on Sunday 28 Sep at noon FT time. Good Tuesday wishes to all.

#438278 - Wed Sep 24 2008 12:27 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Round 19

We had 5 fearsome competitors playing in the FunTrivia Round.

1. Please tell me one of the FunTrivia editors for either the Celebrities or World Category.

For 10 Points
- Skunkee and Beatka
For 5 Points - TabbyTom (3)
Not Chosen – Nannanut, JuniortheJaws, Gtho4, Bruyere, Leau, and Trident87

2. Tell me one of the correct answers to my first quiz: Quirky Place Names in Pennsylvania that you will find here .

For 10 Points
– None
For 5 Points – Eighty-four (2) and Jersey Shore (3)
Not Chosen - King of Prussia, Heartland, Willow Street, Georgia, North East, State College, Jim Thorpe, and WaWa

3. Please tell me the name of a member of the Revenge of the Llamas Team that begins with a vowel.

For 10 Points
– AbzBethBFF, alifin_may, anburns, elainehedrix, and Orderly1212. 10 Points All!
For 5 Points
– None
Not Chosen - Anaby192, ANBTKC24, anjo41, AubreeAnna, Edithmcrotch, Exit10, and Ixa1023

4. Tell me one of the Badges that I have gotten that has only one word (numbers do not count) on the badge (exclude the crossword badge because even though it is one word it looks like two on the badge).

For 10 Points
– Impossible, Monster, Knockout, Country, and Treasure. 10 Points All!
For 5 Points
– None
Not Chosen – Veteran, Smartest, Bonus, and Researcher

5. Please tell me the theme of any of the trivia rounds that I have hosted in the Forums (excluding this one, of course).

For 10 Points
– Grandmother, Beulah, and John Hancock
For 5 Points – Frederick the Great (2)
Not Chosen – Chelsea, Max, Newfoundland, Malden, and Navy

The Results:
45 Points : Mugaboo and nakarinna
40 Points: Denni19
35 Points: szabs and brandz_mygirl

So, walking away with a September Trivia Point are both Mugaboo and nakarinna in a closely fought battle. Thanks to all for playing this round.

#438279 - Thu Sep 25 2008 11:08 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 25 - Thursday

Today's theme is Gulliver's Travels...

1. Lilliput and Blefuscu are two island nations in the South Indian Ocean that Gulliver encountered. Both are inhabited by tiny people who are "not six inches high." However, the countries are permanently at war over the correct way to eat a boiled egg. Dr. Seuss reworked this story into "The Butter Battle Book," a nuclear war parable about the Yooks and the Zooks and the proper way to butter toast. The text of the poem can be found here; please tell me the name of a weapon devised by either side within the story.

2. Gulliver stumbled upon Brobdingnag, the land of giants, after his ship blew off course. The Brobdingnagian Bards are a Celtic music group from Austin, Texas. Their musical style is best described as a mixture of Irish and Scottish folk music, with their original compositions often falling into the filk genre. The band broke up in the last couple of weeks to pursue solo careers after releasing multiple albums. Please pick a song from the Brobdingnagian Bards' 2006 album "The Holy Grail of Irish Drinking Songs."

3. On visiting Glubbdubdrib, an island of sorcerers and magicians, Gulliver had the occasion to speak with many famous personages, including Socrates, via necromancy. Socrates is well-known for a variety of things, not the least of which is an investigative techique: the Socratic method. A Socratic dialogue is a work in which characters - one of whom is Socrates - discuss moral and philosophical problems while illustrating the Socratic method. Please choose a Socratic dialogue written by Plato.

4. Gulliver also stops in the land of the Houyhnhnms, a race of intelligent horses who have created a utopia based on reason and logic. There is no place for emotion or passion within the Houyhnhnms's society. An opposing view of a similar society is illustrated in "The Giver" by Lois Lowry. "The Giver" portrays a society has eliminated pain and strife by converting to "Sameness", a plan which has also eradicated emotional depth from their lives, but evolves into a dystopia. Please select any named character from Lowry's "The Giver."

5. Finally, Gulliver made many stops during the course of his travels, "discovering" islands and races of people throughout the world. However, there are plenty of fictional islands that Gulliver did not drop in on. Please name a fictional island nation within the Pacific Ocean that was not created by Jonathan Swift.

This round will close Tuesday, September 30th at noon FT time. Please PM me with any questions. Good luck!

#438280 - Thu Sep 25 2008 11:10 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 20 - 5 played Rick Wright's Wet Dream round.

1. Name any country that borders the Mediterranean sea and name ends in a consonant.
For 10 points: Lebanon; Spain
For 5 points: Cyprus [3]
Not mentioned: Egypt; Isreal; Italy; Turkey

2. Give me one of the tape machines available at Studio Miraval.
For 10 points: Mitsubishi X86 2 Tracks Digital; Studer A80 Stereo 1/2" Analog
For 5 points: CD Recorder Marantz CDR 620 [3]
Not mentioned: Sony 3348 48 Tracks Digital; Studer A800 MKIII 24 Tracks Analog; DAT Sony PCM 2500; DAT Sony PCM R 500; DAT Sony 57 ES; K7 Pionneer CT 656; Synchto BTX

3. Give the first name of any of Rick Wright's wives, children or grandson.
For 10 points: Millie; Benjamin; Stanley
For 5 points: Franka [2]
Not mentioned: Juliette; Gala; Jamie

4. Please give me an example of a type of wave.
For 10 points: Electromagnetic; Finger; Seismic; Standing; Tidal
For 5 points: (none)
Not mentioned include: Audience/Mexican; Capillary; Microwaves; Sound

5. Please name any dancer who's with KUNST–STOFF
For 10 points: Erin Kraemer; Leslie Schickel
For 5 points: John Mercke [3]
Not mentioned: Nicole Bonadonna; Kara Davis; Spencer Dickhaus; Marina Fukushima; Justin Kennedy; Nol Simonse

Scores:
45 points: Denni19
40 points: Brandz_mygirl; Nakarinna
35 points: Maninmidohio; Szabs

Exellent win for Denni19, the usual point goes to you "Against the Odds" (Second Track on Album). Our two back markers are obviously the "Funky Deux" (Last Track) - well played everybody.

#438281 - Fri Sep 26 2008 04:54 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 26

Mars is the fourth planet from the Sun in our Solar System, Mars still remains at the top of the list of possible life-bearing planets. The Viking probes found little evidence of life on Mars, but they sampled only two isolated locations, is there life elsewhere or was there life at some time in the past on Mars? Only time will tell.

1.) You'd think Mars would be easier to understand. Like Earth, Mars has polar ice caps and clouds in its atmosphere, seasonal weather patterns, volcanoes, canyons and other recognizable features. However, conditions on Mars vary wildly from what we know on our own planet. Please give me the name of a Crater on Mars that starts with the letter E, and tell me after whom or where it was named after.

2. Dozens of spacecraft, including orbiters, landers, and rovers, have been sent to Mars by Russia, U.S.A., Europe, and Japan to study the planet's surface, climate, and geology. Roughly two-thirds of all spacecraft destined for Mars have failed in one manner or another before completing or even beginning their missions. From NASA’S Mars Exploration Program site , please go to the Missions page, click on “All”, from that page please give me the name & year of a successful mission.

3. In 1911 Frank C Mars started making butter cream candies from their home in Tacoma Washington, and that is how the Mars Candy Inc. factory was born. In 1923 they start producing the famous Milky Way candy bar with their add slogan “A chocolate malted milk in a candy bar”. The company throughout the years has had many names, but to go back to it’s roots it has finally renamed itself MARS, the name reflects the history and the creation of the company by it’s original founders. From the Mars.com website please give me the name of a snackfood or petcare product.

4. Joseph D'Anna, opened the first MARS store on Old Eastern Avenue in Essex Maryland in 1943. The store was located at the center of an apartment and military housing community known as Mars Estates. Because of that location, Joe adopted the "Mars" name, and that is how the Mars Supermarket, "The Friendly Food People," got their start and name. From their site go to the “Entertaining” page, please give me one of the food items on any of their “International, Jewish or Italian style Platters”

5. Edgar Rice Burroughs was an American author, best known for his creation of the jungle hero Tarzan and the heroic John Carter. Burroughs also wrote popular science fiction and fantasy stories involving Earthly adventurers transported to various planets (notably Barsoom, Burroughs' fictional name for Mars, and Amtor, his fictional name for Venus). Could you please give me the title of an Edgar Rice Burroughs book, that has the word Mars in it.

Let's say that we finnish this round on Wednesday the 1st of October, afternoonish FT time. Till then have a great weekend and don't worry too much about the martians .

#438282 - Fri Sep 26 2008 12:17 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Hi all, just a reminder that Round 22 will be closing in just under 23 hours. That's it. Bye now.

Edit: Just adding that I've managed to reply to everyone from whom I have received answers for either Round 22 or Round 23. If you've sent in answers and haven't yet received an acknowledgement, please let me know.

Edited by brandz_mygirl (Sat Sep 27 2008 07:51 AM)

#438283 - Sat Sep 27 2008 11:38 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 22 is now closed. Results tomorrow.

#438284 - Sun Sep 28 2008 01:29 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Sep 22 Round - Answers

4 lovely players took part in theMonday round.

1) From here, please give me any odd-numbered point to beat the Monday blues, just the first few words of each point that is in bold will be fine.
For Ten Points: Have everything laid out the day before, Have a list of why
For Five Points: Affirmative statements (2)
Not mentioned: Procrastinate feeling blue, Early start, Talk to a friend, Dance, Buy something new, Start working, Plan something special for Monday night.

2) According to this report, there is a table of the top 5 causes of absenteeism from work, as reported by employees as well as showing how managers interpret those causes. Could you please give me any one of those causes, from either the employees’ –OR- managers’ points of view. If the cause is exactly the same from both points of view, that will count as one cause.
For Ten Points: Back problems, Low morale/boring job
For Five Points: Headaches/migraines (2)
Not mentioned: Colds/flu, Stomach upset/food poisoning, Stress/emotional problems/personal problems, Monday morning blues/extending the weekend, Childcare problems/family sickness.

3) Please tell me the name of any album released by “The Bangles”.
For Ten Points: All Over the Place, The Essential Bangles
For Five Points: Doll Revolution (2)
Not mentioned: The Bangles, Different Light, Everything, Greatest Hits, Eternal Flame – The Best of the Bangles.

4) From “Monday’s Child”, could you please tell me the fortune of a child born on any day of the week (will consist of one or two lines from the rhyme). There are several slightly different versions of the nursery rhyme, so could you please use the original 1887 version when choosing your answer.
For Ten Points: Please see lines in bold below.
For Five Points: Please see line in bold below with a number in brackets after that line.
Not mentioned: Please see unbold-ed lines below.

Monday's child is fair of face.
Tuesday's child is full of grace.
Wednesday's child is loving and giving.
Thursday's child works hard for a living, (2)
Friday's child is full of woe.
Saturday's child has far to go.
But the child that is born on Sabbath-day
Is bonny and happy and wise and gay.

5) Please give me the name of a country that has Easter Monday as an official holiday, restricting your answer to a country whose name begins with a vowel.
For Ten Points: Iceland, Italy, Albania, Aruba.
Not mentioned: Loads more can be found in Wikipedia.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
45 points: Nakarinna and Szabs Joint leaders!

Other Results:
40 points: Maninmidohio
30 points: Mugaboo

Thank you to all four for playing. Wishing everyone a fun-filled and relaxing Sunday.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002