Rules
Terms of Use

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#438285 - Sun Sep 28 2008 10:30 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Round 23's close has been delayed. It will now close a full 12 hours after it's original deadline, meaning there's 30 minutes to go before Round 23 is zipped up and anyone wanting to send in answers can still do so. The reason for the delay is that there was a huge...no, I had a big....okay, I forgot to post the closure notice.

Seeing as how it's so close to the new deadline, there won't be another official Round closed notice. Results will be as soon as I can manage thereafter. Thanks all.

#438286 - Mon Sep 29 2008 03:33 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 25 will be closing in less than 20 hours (noon FT tomorrow). There's plenty of room for new entries!

#438287 - Tue Sep 30 2008 05:37 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Sep 23 Round - Answers

Thank you to the 5 who took part in Things that terrify me .

1) Would you please give me the name of an actor/actress that appears in the movie (“The Royal Tenenbaums”), restricting your choice to the first 10 names that appear in the Imdb listing.
For Ten Points: Bill Murray, Owen Wilson, Anjelica Huston, Ben Stiller, Danny Glover
For Five Points: None!
Not mentioned: Gene Hackman, Gwyneth Paltrow, Luke Wilson, Seymour Cassel, Kumar Pallana.

2) From here, can you please give me the name of a celebrity mentioned in the section titled “Famous Leibovitz photos”.
For Ten Points: David Cassidy, Christo, Brooke Shields, Sting, Dolly Parton
Not mentioned: John Lennon, Yoko Ono, Linda Ronstadt, Demi Moore, Whoopi Goldberg, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Dan Aykroyd, John Belushi, Queen Elizabeth II, Pete Townshend, Patti Smith, Cyndi Lauper, Bruce Springsteen, Gisele Bundchen, LeBron James, Miley Cyrus

3) From here, can you please name any part of a tooth.
For Ten Points: Pulp
For Five Points: Root Canal (2), Enamel (2)
Not mentioned: Dentin
I have to make an apology here. I actually meant to have 6 possible answers for this question, but the way I phrased the question meant that there were only 4 answers to choose from .

4) Please give me the name of a winner (of the North American Public Speaking Championship) from any year since (and including) 2000.
For Ten Points: Jeremy Holiday, Aiden Johnson, Jason Rogers.
For Five Points: Stuart Savelkoul (2)
Not mentioned: Vinay Kumar Mysore, Mark Bigney.

5) According to this article, a golden rule to small talk is simply to be nice, brilliance is not a requirement. From the same article, could you please give me any one of the 10 big rules of small talk, just the headings will do.
For Ten Points: When in doubt discuss the setting, Remember names, Defuse unpleasant situations, Don’t hold back, Draw the other person out.
Not mentioned: Do a little homework, Greet people appropriately, Revive a dying conversation, Make proper introductions, Make a clean getaway.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
50 points: Maninmidohio Full points no less!

Other Results:
45 points: Nakarinna and Szabs
40 points: Mugaboo & Denni

Thank again to all 5 players. Hope you’ll have a great week.

#438288 - Tue Sep 30 2008 09:57 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 26 will be closing in about 24 hours, I am anxiously waiting for some more entries .

#438289 - Tue Sep 30 2008 11:01 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 25 Results

4 players entered this round…

1. Please tell me the name of a weapon devised by either side within the story.

For 10 points: Eight-Nozzled, Elephant-Toted Boom-Blitz

For 5 points: Utterly Sputter (3)

Not mentioned: Snick-Berry Switch, Triple-Sling Jigger, Jigger-Rock Snatchem, Kick-a-Poo Kid, Blue-Gooer, Bitsy Big-Boy Boomeroo

2. Please pick a song from the Brobdingnagian Bards' 2006 album "The Holy Grail of Irish Drinking Songs."

For 10 points: "Black Velvet Band," "Wild Rover"

For 5 points: "Come Out Ye Black and Tans" (2)

Not mentioned: "The Orange and the Green," "Rattlin' Bog," "Johnny at the Door," "Finnegan's Wake," and others

3. Please choose a Socratic dialogue written by Plato.

For 10 points: Euthyphro, Crito

For 5 points: Charmides (2)

Not mentioned: First/Second Alcibiades, Apology, Cratylus, Epinomis, and others

4. Please select any named character from Lowry's "The Giver."

For 10 points: Gabriel, Fiona

For 5 points: Asher (2)

Not mentioned: Jonas, Lily, Rosemary, Caleb, Katharine

5. Please name a fictional island nation within the Pacific Ocean that was not created by Jonathan Swift.

For 10 points: Carlotta (Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid), Toga Toga Islands ("The A-Team"), Coral Island ("The Coral Island" by R. M. Ballantyne), Caspak ("The Land That Time Forgot" by Edgar Rice Burroughs)

For 5 points: none

Not Mentioned: Baki (Madeleine L'Engle), Bensalem ("The New Atlantis" by Francis Bacon), Eleutheria (Eleutheria Model Parliament game), Gondal (the Bronte sisters), and others

Scores:

With 45 points: szabs
With 40 points: denni19, brandz_mygirl
With 30 points: maninmidohio

Congratulations to szabs for winning one September trivia point!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#438290 - Wed Oct 01 2008 05:07 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Firstly, folks ... please forgive me for going AWOL here as unexpectedly as I did for a week. Or was it three weeks ? Had I known it was looming, I'd have announced it - but it just kinda *happened* (along with some several thousand other aggravating and time-corrupted things ). But I got some age-old results for you all. And I also apologize for all the Rounds I missed playing, too. Sigh. All is peaceful at the moment, so I'll be bugging you again soon and catching up as the day progresses.

Round 10- Wednesday [albeit a Wednesday from a while ago ...]
"Scott McKenzie/*San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Flowers In Your Hair)*"
Five astoundingly adept players joined in !

1. To start, might you tell me a single released by The Mamas and the Papas that reached #15 (or higher) on the USA -or- UK charts?

For 10 Points:
California Dreamin', Creeque Alley, Dream a Little Dream of Me
For 5 Points:
Monday, Monday (2)

Dedicated to the One I Love, Glad to Be Unhappy, I Saw Her Again, My Girl and Words of Love were their other hits.

2. Please tell me any of the men who "escaped" (but didn't get very far OR didn't survive very long) Alcatraz in the 195Os or 1960s.

For 10 Points:
Clarence Anglin, Aaron Burgett, Daryl Parker
For 5 Points:
John Paul Scott (2)

Leaving the slippery John W. Anglin, Clyde Johnson, Frank Lee Morris, Alan (Clayton) West and Floyd P. Wilson unmentioned.

3. Anyway, starting here, navigate about and find a store in DCA selling *GENERAL* merchandise (no "specialty" shops, OK?)

For 10 Points:
Gone Hollywood, Greetings from California, P.T. Flea Market, Rushin' River Outfitters, Studio Store

Ten points for everybody ! Engine Ears Toys, Fly 'n' Buy, Souvenir 66 and Treasures in Paradise were the other possible choices on that one.

4. Have a look at the Smithsonian Institute website and find Miss Law's gallery - then tell me the name of one of the photos in her Social Activism and Counterculture Exhibit. Thanks!

For 10 Points:
Anti-Vietnam War march, Market Street, San Francisco, 1967; Another shot of an Anti-Vietnam War march, Market Street, San Francisco, 1967;
Black Panthers, anti-Vietnam War rally, Kezar Stadium, San Francisco, 1967; Musician Judy Collins performing at anti-Vietnam War rally, Kezar Stadium, San Francisco, 1967; Paul Krassner (center), editor of the underground publication The Realist, and Harvey Kornspan, a member of the Diggers, the Panhandle, San Francisco, 1967.

Several others: Artist Liberation Front meeting, San Francisco, 1967; Victor Maymudes, Bob Dylan's road manager, with a mandala, a symbol of life (which was later burned in protest, no less), Monterey International Pop Festival, 1967; Coretta Scott King, anti-Vietnam War rally, Kezar Stadium, San Francisco, 1967 -and- "General Hershey Bar" [a street theatre satire], San Francisco, 1967.

5. On Scott McKenzie's own website he offers A Message to those who visit. Tell me a sentence in his message ...

For 10 Points:
Neither shall I ever forget that visit.; On the one hand, bigots, tyrants and oppression flourished; national leaders were assassinated, young artists overdosed.; On the other hand, new young social, political and musical leaders also flourished, as did their calls for courage, compassion and commitment to social and political reform.
For 5 Points:
I guess it depends on where you were, what you were doing, what you cared about. (2)

It can be read, in its entirety, HERE ...

The Results!

50 Points! .... denni19, Mugaboo
45 Points! .... maninmidohio
40 Points! .... szabs
35 Points! .... brandz_mygirl

Congrats to denni19 and Mugaboo for managing to top the "hippie" leader board on that one . Well-played set by all entrants, too, I must say ! Thanks for playing.

#438291 - Wed Oct 01 2008 06:54 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Round 30 - Tuesday

A very quick, stupid and extremely belated Tuesday round .

1 - From here name a painting by Tamara de Lempicka which doesn't have the word "portrait" in its title.

2 - Please pick one of the new trainsets used by the Bucharest Metro on M2.
(the name not the number)

3 - Give me the title of a novel written by Larry McMurtry.

4 - Choose a person who appears on the Board of Directors of PPS - Project for Public Places.
[no Advisors to the Board please]

5 - Give me a type of Thangka (painted or embroidered Buddhist banner) from the ones listed on Wikipedia.

Apologies for such a lousy job but my life seems to be getting hectic-er each day .

Round 30 will be closed on Saturday noon FT time. (I hope...)

#438292 - Wed Oct 01 2008 07:43 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 15 - Monday
"TV Guide New Season Picks"
A steadfast five players tuned in !

1. Please tell me another person who appears in that *Women of Valor* poster series whose first OR last name does not begin with a vowel.

For 10 Points:
Rebecca Gratz, Rose Schneiderman, Hannah G. Solomon, Henrietta Szold, Lillian Wald

Ray Frank, Glikl Bas Judah, Barbara Myerhoff , Molly Picon, Justine Wise Polier, Bobbie Rosenfeld and Gertrude Weil were the others on the poster with vowel-free beginnings to their names.

2. Over on NovelGuide, they pick ten notable quotes from Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Kindly tell me one of them.

For 10 Points:
"...and it was as an ordinary secret sinner that I at last fell before the assaults of temptation."; "Hence it came about that I concealed my pleasures; and that when I reached years of reflection, and began to look round me, and take stock of my progress and position in the world, I stood already committed to a profound duplicity of life."; "I was slowly losing hold of my original and better self, and becoming slowly incorporated with my second and worse."
For 5 Points:
"It seemed natural and human. In my eyes it bore a livelier image of the spirit, it seemed more express and single, than the imperfect and divided countenance I had been hitherto accustomed to call mine." (2)

Leaving "There is something wrong with his appearance; something displeasing, something downright detestable."; "If he be Mr. Hyde, I shall be Mr. Seek."; "The moment I choose, I can be rid of Mr. Hyde."; "...like a man restored from death - there stood Henry Jekyll."; "...they were the expression, and bore the stamp, of lower elements in my soul." -&- "All human beings... are commingled out of good and evil." not selected ...

3. Please tell me a game Pajitnov is partly responsible for developing (as designer, conceptualist, idealist or contributor) between 1991 and 2000.

For 10 Points:
Clockwerx (1995), El-Fish (1993), Knight Moves (1995), Tetrisphere (1997), Wild Snake (1994)

Mr. Pajitnov also had a hand in 'Ice & Fire' (1995), 'Microsoft Entertainment Pack: The Puzzle Collection' (1997) -and- 'Pandora's Box' (1999).

4. I'd like to know a novel in that series ("Southern Vampire Mysteries") with the word *Dead* in its title ...

For 10 Points:
Club Dead
For 5 Points:
Definitely Dead (2), Living Dead in Dallas (2)

"All Together Dead", "Dead as a Doornail", "Dead to the World" and "Dead Until Dark" would have worked, too.

5. To close, please determine the top-billed member of the cast of any of those four Abrams shows (as per IMDb) and tell me the first, middle (initials, in one case) or last name of any of those actors listed first on the rosters of cast members.

For 10 Points:
Garcia, Jennifer, Jorge, Keri, Russell

Their names and shows are/were: Keri Lynn Russell (from "Felicity"), Jennifer Anne Garner (from "Alias"), Jorge Garcia (from "Lost") and Kirk Acevedo (from "Fringe").

The Results!

45 Points! .... denni19, maninmidohio, Mugaboo, szabs
40 Points! .... brandz_mygirl

Almost a point for everbody on that one ! Well done, everyone - and thanks for sending in your excellent answers.

And [*whew!*] ... I believe I'm now up-to-date .

#438293 - Wed Oct 01 2008 01:24 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Due to unforseen problems with my hard drive Round 26 will be open for another 12 hours.

Edited by szabs (Wed Oct 01 2008 01:25 PM)

#438294 - Thu Oct 02 2008 06:50 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 26 is now closed. Answers should be up briefly, with the help of my Martian progrmmer .

#438295 - Thu Oct 02 2008 07:50 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 26

Seven great players participated in this Martian round.

Mars the fourth planet from the Sun in our Solar System, still remains at the top of the list of possible life-bearing planets. The Viking probes found little evidence of life on Mars, but they sampled only two isolated locations, is there life elsewhere or was there life at some time in the past on Mars? Only time will tell.

1.) You'd think Mars would be easier to understand. Like Earth, Mars has polar ice caps and clouds in its atmosphere, seasonal weather patterns, volcanoes, canyons and other recognizable features. However, conditions on Mars vary wildly from what we know on our own planet. Please give me the name of a Crater on Mars that starts with the letter E, and tell me after whom or where it was named after.

For 10 Points : Eads – California, Escorial - Spain
For 5 Points : Elath – Israel (3), Ejriksson – Norse explorer Leif Ejriksson (2)
Among Others – 21 to choose from : Edam – Netherlands, Elorza – Venezuela, Eger - Hungary

2.) Dozens of spacecraft, including orbiters, landers, and rovers, have been sent to Mars by Russia, U.S.A., Europe, and Japan to study the planet's surface, climate, and geology. Roughly two-thirds of all spacecraft destined for Mars have failed in one manner or another before completing or even beginning their missions. From NASA’S Mars Exploration Program site , please go to the Missions page, click on “All”, from that page please give me the name & year of a successful mission.

10 Points to All : Mariner 4 (1964), Mariner 9 (1971), Mars 5 (1973), Viking 1 (1975), Mars Odyssey (2001), Mars Exploration Rover – Spirit (2003) , Mars Exploration Rover – Opportunity (2003)
Among Others : : Mariner 7 (1969), Viking 2 (1975) Quite amazingly till 2007 there has been 38 missions to Mars out of which there have only been 15 successful missions.

3. In 1911 Frank C Mars started making butter cream candies from their home in Tacoma Washington, and that is how the Mars Candy Inc. factory was born. In 1923 they start producing the famous Milky Way candy bar with their add slogan “A chocolate malted milk in a candy bar”. The company throughout the years has had many names, but to go back to it’s roots it has finally renamed itself MARS, the name reflects the history and the creation of the company by it’s original founders. From the Mars.com website please give me the name of a snackfood or petcare product.

For 10 Points : Cesar
For 5 Points : Twix (3), Pedigree (3)
among Others : Mars, Snickers, Starburst, Sheba, Whiskas.

4. Joseph D'Anna, opened the first MARS store on Old Eastern Avenue in Essex Maryland in 1943. The store was located at the center of an apartment and military housing community known as Mars Estates. Because of that location, Joe adopted the "Mars" name, and that is how the Mars Supermarket, "The Friendly Food People," got their start and name. From their site go to the “Entertaining” page, please give me one of the food items on any of their “International, Jewish or Italian style Platters”

10 Points to all : Imported Swiss, American Cheese, Corned Beef, Cappicolla, Roast Beef, Prosciuttini, Sliced Pepperoni
Among Others: Genoa Salami, Pastrami, Provolone, Turkey Breast

5. Edgar Rice Burroughs was an American author, best known for his creation of the jungle hero Tarzan and the heroic John Carter. Burroughs also wrote popular science fiction and fantasy stories involving Earthly adventurers transported to various planets (notably Barsoom, Burroughs' fictional name for Mars, and Amtor, his fictional name for Venus). Could you please give me the title of an Edgar Rice Burroughs book, that has the word Mars in it.

For 10 Points : The Chessmen of Mars, Thuvia Maid of Mars, A Fighting Man of Mars, Swords of Mars, Synthetic Men of Mars.
For 5 Points : The Master Mind of Mars (2)
Among Others : A Princess of Mars, The Gods of Mars, The Warlord of Mars

Scores
The sole winner with a perfect score of 50 points : Nakarina
With 40 points: Denni19, Gatsby722, Maninmidohio, Mugaboo & Zorba Scank
With 35 points: Brandz_mygirl

Congratulations are in order to Nakarina , for picking up a lonely September point, with a perfect score . Thank you all for playing, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your week, wherever you are .

Edited by szabs (Thu Oct 02 2008 07:51 AM)

#438296 - Sat Oct 04 2008 01:07 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Round 30 is now closed and the results will be posted sometime tomorrow.

[I've spend ALL of my day "playing" with my computer - had to format and reinstall everything from scratch. I'm still not done with all of it .]

#438297 - Sun Oct 05 2008 06:30 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Results for ROUND 30

6 wonderful and faithful players for this round – Thank you all for sending in your answers !

1 - From here name a painting by Tamara de Lempicka which doesn't have the word "portrait" in its title.

10 points: Girl Sleeping, Young Girl With Gloves, Adam and Eve

5 points: Calla Lilies [3]

Not mentioned: Ametysthe, Printemps, Mother Superior, The Refugees, Romana de la Salle

2 - Please pick one of the new trainsets used by the Bucharest Metro on M2. (the name not the number)

10 points: Craita (The Marigold), Crizantema (The Chrysanthemum), Zambila (The Hyacinth), Bujorul (The Peony)

5 points: Nufarul (The Water Lily) [2]

Not mentioned: Dalia (the Dahlia), Narcisa (the Daffodil), Camelia (the Camellia), Violeta (the Violet), Margareta (the Oxeye daisy) and a few others more.

3 - Give me the title of a novel written by Larry McMurtry.

10 points: “The Desert Rose”, “Horseman, Pass By”, “Some Can Whistle”, “All My Friends Are Going To Be Strangers”

5 points: “Folly and Glory” [2]

Not mentioned: ”Leaving Cheyenne”, “Moving On”, “Cadillac Jack”, “Somebody's Darling”, “Buffalo Girls” and more

4 - Choose a person who appears on the Board of Directors of PPS - Project for Public Places. [no Advisors to the Board please]

10 points ALL: Tony Goldman, Douglas Durst, Roberta Brandes Gratz, Dr. Minnie Fells Johnson, Ron Sher, Ambassador Richard Swett.

5 - Give me a type of Thangka (painted or embroidered Buddhist banner) from the ones listed on Wikipedia.

10 points: Gold Background, Black Background, Applique

5 points: Painted in colours (tson-tang) [3]

Not mentioned: Red Background, Blockprints, Embroidery

The RESULTS for Round 30 are:

With 50 points: Nakarinna – Well done!

With 45 points: Brandz_mygirl, Mugaboo

With 40 points: Gatsby

With 35 points: Szabs, Maninmidohio

Congratulations to our Miss Nakarinna for a perfect set of unique answers and for grabbing the month’s last point .

Edited by denni19 (Sun Oct 05 2008 06:32 AM)

#438298 - Sun Dec 07 2008 10:51 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
'Tis a snowy, boring day ... so I thought I'd make time to go back and get these (kinda) caught up . Good Lord! The year's almost finished already . Here's how it all shook down a couple of months ago ...

Results for September 2008:

1. szabs ~ 9 points
2. Mugaboo ~ 7 points
3. denni19
....maninmidohio
....nakarinna ~ all 5 points
6. brandz_mygirl ~ 2 points
7. Gatsby722
....zorba_scank ~ both 1 point

Year-To-Date Standings:

1. maninmidohio (71 points)
2. nakarinna (63 points)
3. szabs (57 points)
4. brandz_mygirl
....Mugaboo (both 50 points)
6. Gatsby722 (48 points)
7. denni19 (41 points)
8. zorba_scank (26 points)
9. cinnamOn (18 points)
10. srini701 (16 points)
11. deputygary (7 points)
12. Lizard_Wizard (5 points)
13. gsmoke827 (4 points)
14. gemini19 (3 points)
15. ainenei
.....bethfay
.....flopsymopsy
.....glendathecat
.....Jafato
.....JaneMarple
.....LeoDaVinci
.....missbecky2007
.....Santana2002 (all 1 point)

#438299 - Sun Dec 07 2008 11:57 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Thank you Gats. Results are much appreciated and well done to Maninmidohio.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ozzz2002