Terms of Use

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#442343 - Wed Oct 01 2008 01:56 AM October 2008 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
THE FT TRIVIA ROUNDS

Each day (except Sunday) one of our Trivia Round hosts will post 5 questions that have multiple possible correct answers. Each player should PM his or her answers to the host within the time frame specified (at least 48 hours, but usually more). Each unique correct answer provided (one that was not given by any other player) will receive 10 points, each non-unique correct answer will receive 5 points.

No sign-up or registration is required to play!!! and each player can play as many or as few Rounds as he or she chooses.

Mondays - Brandz_mygirl and Gatsby
Tuesdays - Brandz_mygirl and Denni
Wednesdays - Gatsby and JaneMarple
Thursdays - Nakarinna
Fridays - Szabs and Maninmidohio
Saturdays - Mugaboo

If there is any changes to the roster, please let me know

#442344 - Wed Oct 01 2008 01:58 AM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 1st October round
Q1 A film with black in the title
Q2 A song title with black in the title
Q3 A book title with black in the title
Q4 Something that is traditionally black
Q5 Something you can eat which is black

This round closes over the weekend!

#442345 - Thu Oct 02 2008 01:52 PM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 2 - Thursday

Today's theme is Cries and Whispers...

1. Ingmar Bergman's 1972 Swedish classic Cries and Whispers tells the story of three estranged sisters who briefly reunite because one of the sisters is dying. The film won many awards internationally; it was also nominated for Best Picture (NOT Best Foreign Language Film) at the 1973 Academy Awards. Only eight non-English films have been nominated for Best Picture; none have won. Please choose one of the remaining seven foreign language Best Picture nominees.

2. Cries and Whispers was filmed on the Taxinge-Näsby estate in Mariefred, Sweden. Mariefred is a small idyllic town approximately 65 kilometers from Stockholm. Gripsholm Castle, one of Sweden's finest historical monuments is located in MarieFred. Gripsholm has belonged to the Swedish Royal Family since 1526. Please name another Crown palace in Sweden.

3. Every major American studio turned down the distribution rights to Cries and Whispers except for New World Films, a company founded by Roger Corman. Corman is a prolific American producer and director of low-budget films. Corman may be best known for his filmings of various Edgar Allan Poe stories. Please select any film directed by Roger Corman that was adapted from an Edgar Allan Poe work.

4. Bergman himself supposedly listed Cries and Whispers, along with Persona, as his two most important films. The color red is heavily used within the film, with the explanation "I [Bergman] have imagined the soul to be a damp membrane in varying shades of red." Bergman passed away a little more than a year ago, survived by several children. Please tell me the name of any of Ingmar Bergman's nine children.

5. The soundtrack for Cries and Whispers is of a classical bent. One musical piece heard in the movie is "Mazurka in A minor" by Frédéric Chopin. Chopin's compositions have graced hundreds of movies and television shows over the last several decades. Please give me a TV show (not episode) from the 2000's that includes a Chopin work on its soundtrack.

This round will close on Tuesday, October 7 at noon FT time. Please PM me with any questions. Good luck!

#442346 - Fri Oct 03 2008 07:24 AM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 3

After my father was discharged from the navy at the end of World War II, he took advantage of the GI Bill to get trained as a knitting machine mechanic. New England had a long history with the textile industry, so he thought it was a wise choice. Unfortunately, things did not turn out well because after the war there was a great push to reduce costs in the industry and a lot of the factories closed down and went South to find cheaper labor away from the union shops that had been established in New England. Dad had several companies close under him. He finally took a job in Buffalo, NY and relocated the family there. Within a year that company also folded. Of course, now all of the factories that went south have all relocated overseas for the same reason that they moved in the first place – the search for cheaper labor.

This will be the Knitting Round.

1. Artex Knitting Mills is a family owned knitting mill located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, PA. Founded in 1926 they are still in business and are one of only a few still located in the northeastern United States. From their web site, tell me one of the models of scarves that you can order from them.

2. Ibisworld provides industry reports for the investment industry. On their website you can view extracts of these reports although they mask out many of the key figures since they want you to purchase their product. Take a look at their report on the Apparel Knitting Mills industry located here and tell me a sector (labeled Product/Services) that the industry is divided into.

3. Home hand knitting is, of course, a big pastime all around the world. There are a wide variety of knitting needles available and, unfortunately, the naming of the needles varies with country. Please tell me either a US, UK/Canadian, or Japanese needle size that falls between 2 and 3 mm (inclusive) in length (please include the country in your answer).

4. Knitting can also be done on a loom. The wikipedia article on looms break them down into 11 different types. Tell me one of these basic types of looms.

5. The Knitting Factory is a New York City, Hollywood, Boise, and Spokane music club and concert house, originally specializing in jazz and experimental music. The organization is still going strong. Please tell me one of the artists that will be performing at their Boise, Idaho, venue from October 8 to October 10 (10 to choose from).

The Knitting Round will close noonish FT time on Wednesday, October 8. Have a great weekend.

#442347 - Sat Oct 04 2008 03:26 AM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 4 - - Saturday 4th October

1. Today is Lesotho's independence day. Two weeks ago Gem Diamonds announced they had found the world's 20th largest uncut diamond in the Letseng diamond mine, (30% owned by the Lesotho government) this is the world's highest diamond mine. Please name any of the top nine, of the world's largest rough diamonds.
2. On the 4th of October 1779 the Fort Wilson riots began in Philadelphia. This started outside the house of James Wilson, who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence. James Wilson was born near Ceres in Fife. The most prominent building in Cerces is the village church build by Alexander Leslie. Leslie was surposed to be the "Crooked Man" in the nursery rhyme "There was a Crooked Man" Please tell me anything that was crooked in the rhyme "There was a Crooked Man".
3. On the 4th of October 1983, Richard Noble broke the land speed record. Please name any Frenchman to have broken the land speed record.
4. Henry III of Castile was born on this day in 1379. Please give me a Great-grand parent of King Henry III of Castile.
5. Yu Kuo-hwa died eight years ago today. Please find me a Premier of the Republic of China (Taiwan), since Yu Kuo-hwa vacated that position.

As usual, this round will close Thursday (Noon FT time). PM if you have any questions.

#442348 - Sun Oct 05 2008 11:07 AM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Round one closes tomorrow

#442349 - Mon Oct 06 2008 04:02 AM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 6 ~ Monday

As my avatar over there suggests, I've been (again) obsessing over another of my all-time favorite dramatic actresses. I only saw her work a few times, but once was enough to grab me, and keep her in my head. She'd started out studying opera (no wonder - her face and the expressions she could wear on it were nothing short of an aria on its own), but the dramatic stage ultimately "earned her passion" as a young woman. She was Greek, lovely, ornery and unique ! And, I'm thinking, I should have been born nearer a Mediterranean country, and been a young man some 100 years ago, eh ?

1. Katina Paxinou was born Ekaterini Konstantopoulou in Piraeus, Greece on December 17, 2000. It's the capital of the Piraeus Prefecture and belongs to the Athens urban area, being the second most populous municipality of the Greek capital, following Athens itself. Piraeus is the largest port in Europe and the third largest in the world in terms of passenger transportation, servicing 19,000,000 passengers annually. The prefecture of Piraeus, which includes the surrounding land and some of the islands of the Saronic Gulf, has a population of 541,500. This site gives a nice, breezy overview of the beautiful city of Piraeus. Give it a look and tell me the name of a PUB there (no bars or cafes) whose first letter can be found in the word/name P-A-X-I-N-O-U ...

2. The 1943 film For Whom the Bell Tolls was a landmark project for Miss Paxinou. It tells the story of Robert Jordan, a young American in the International Brigades, wildly connected to an anti-fascist guerilla unit during the Spanish Civil War. An explosives expert, he is assigned to blow up a bridge during an attack on the city of Segovia. The novel upon which the movie was based is considered, by many, to be Ernest Hemingway's greatest work. Katina Paxinou's role (and she co-starred with both Gary Cooper and Ingrid Bergman - quite good company indeed) was that of Pilar, a tough-as-nails gypsy woman who, essentially, holds the frisky renegades together. The film was nominated for 9 Academy Awards, winning just one. Kindy tell me a category in which For Whom the Bell Tolls was Oscar-nominated.

3. In 1950, Katina resumed her stage career. In her native Greece, she formed the Royal Theatre of Athens with Alexis Minotis, her principal director and her husband (since 1940, who remained her spouse until her death). Minotis was a distinguished Greek actor/director, performing - with distinction - great Shakespearan roles in "The Merchant of Venice", "King Lear", "Macbeth" and the title role in "Hamlet". He expanded his talents by directing ancient Greek tragedies such as "Hecuba", "Antigone" and "Prometheus Bound", amongst others. While on the subject of "King Lear", please tell me (as per Gutenberg.org) one of the eleven sentences in the final statement spoken by the title character in the play. Note: a couple of 'em are very very short.

4. Paxinou made several appearances on the Broadway stage including the lead role in the first English production of Federico Garcia Lorca's "The House of Bernarda Alba", in 1951. "...Bernarda Alba" explores repression, desire and conformity, and probes the impact(s) of men upon women. The matriarch's tyranny over her daughters reflects the imminent force of Franco's fascist regime, too, which was to arrive just a few weeks after Lorca finished writing his piece (his final play, as he was executed soon after writing it). It opened on Broadway at the ANTA Playhouse on January 7, 1951, only running for 17 performances. Please tell me one of the actresses (other than Paxinou) appearing in it on the night it premiered. The Internet Broadway Database could be very helpful there, for those unfamiliar with it.

5. She continued to accept film roles until her death from cancer in Athens on February 22, 1973 at the age of 72. It was on this very day that the USA and the People's Republic of China agreed to establish liaison offices after an historic visit to mainland China by Richard Nixon. The Politburo Standing Committee of the Communist Party of China (PSC) were involved, undoubtedly - and perhaps with great misgivings? They're a committee, usually men, that includes the top leadership of the Chinese Communist Party. In practice, the membership of the PSC is the result of negotiations among the top leaders of the Party and they are still a potent factor in Sino-American politics today. Please tell me a member of the PSC between the year of Katina Paxinou's death (1973) and 1977.

This'll close up Friday at noon (or so). And I think I can promise it will do that this time, on time. Unless I'm visited by a hungry man-eating shark (or something), it ought to happen that way ...
Have a bell-tolling week !

Edited by Gatsby722 (Mon Oct 06 2008 05:56 AM)

#442350 - Mon Oct 06 2008 10:54 AM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 1st October results
Q1 A film with black in the title
FOR TEN POINTS:
The Black Orchid, The Black Balloon, The Black Camel (Hamilton MacFadden), The Black Tulip (1937), Black Narcissus (1947), Black Beauty (1971), The Black Cat (1934),
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all

Q2 A song title with black in the title
FOR TEN POINTS:
Baby's in Black (Beatles), Black Balloon (Goo Goo Dolls), The Black Country Chainstore Massacreee -,"Black Haired Boy" by Guy Clark, Black Heavy Cat by Aurora, "Black Rose Dying" by Bless The Fall, Black Cat (Janet Jackson).
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten Points to all

Q3 A book title with black in the title
FOR TEN POINTS:
The Black Unicorn (by Terry Brooks) , Black Heart, Ivory Bones (Ellen Datlow), The Spy in Black - Storer Clouston, "black is brown is tan" by Arnold Adoff and Emily Arnold Mccully, Black Rabbit Summer by Kevin Brooks, "The Black Book of Secrets" by F. E. Higgins, The Black Rose (by Nora Roberts),
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Black Beauty (Anna Sewell) and more

Q4 Something that is traditionally black
FOR TEN POINTS:
Hearse, Ace of Spades, Tar, Bicycle tires, Wet suit, a magician’s wand, Skin of a polar bear,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten Points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Ace of clubs, car tyres and more

Q5 Something you can eat which is black
FOR TEN POINTS:
Burnt toast. Black jellybean, Black rice, Black trumpet mushrooms, Black squid ink paella, Good -n- Plenty Candy, Black rice dessert (Bubur Pulut Hitam, a South East Asian dessert),
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Blackberry, Liquorice and more

SCORES – 7 players!
Brandz_mygirl - 50
Gatsby – 50
Nakarinna – 50
Maninmidohio – 50
Mugaboo - 50
Snowman - 50
Szabs – 50

Well done to our seven winners!

#442351 - Mon Oct 06 2008 03:13 PM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 2 will be closing in just under 20 hours (noon FT)...

#442352 - Tue Oct 07 2008 10:53 AM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Round 2 The Knitting Round will close in a little over 24 hours. Plenty of time to get in an entry.

#442353 - Tue Oct 07 2008 03:11 PM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 2 Results

7 players entered this round…

1. Please choose one of the remaining seven foreign language Best Picture nominees.

For 10 points: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Mandarin, 2000)

For 5 points: Il Postino (Italian/Spanish, 1995) – (2); Z (French, 1969) – (2); Grand Illusion (French, 1938) – (2)

Not mentioned: The Emigrants (Swedish, 1972); Life Is Beautiful (Italian, 1998); Letters from Iwo Jima (Japanese, 2006)

2. Please name another Crown palace in Sweden.

For 10 points: The Chinese Pavilion (at Drottningholm), Gustav III's Pavilion, The Royal Palace in Stockholm, Drottningholm Palace

For 5 points: Rosersberg Palace (3)

Not mentioned: Rosendal Palace, Strömsholm Palace, Tullgarn Palace, Ulriksdal Palace

3. Please select any film directed by Roger Corman that was adapted from an Edgar Allan Poe work.

For 10 points: Tales of Terror, The Tomb of Ligeia, The Raven

For 5 points: The Masque of the Red Death (2), The Premature Burial (2)

Not mentioned: House of Usher, Pit and the Pendulum, The Terror, The Haunted Palace

4. Please tell me the name of any of Ingmar Bergman's nine children.

For 10 points: Mats Bergman, Ingmar Bergman Jr., Jan Bergman, Daniel Bergman, Lena Bergman

For 5 points: Eva Bergman (2)

Not mentioned: Anna Bergman, Maria von Rosen, Linn Ullmann

5. Please give me a TV show (not episode) from the 2000's that includes a Chopin work on its soundtrack.

For 10 points: "Futurama," "Foyle's War," "Smallville"

For 5 points: "Angel" (2), "Six Feet Under" (2)

Not Mentioned: "Men in Trees," "State of Mind," "Frankenstein" (mini-series)

Scores:

With 40 points: Snowman, maninmidohio, denni19
With 35 points: Gatsby722, Mugaboo, brandz_mygirl
With 30 points: szabs

Congratulations to Snowman, maninmidohio, and denni19 for winning one September trivia point each!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#442354 - Tue Oct 07 2008 11:15 PM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 8 ~ Wednesday

I've been spending almost every morning for weeks with the TV on as I pack stuff. Clean stuff. Sort through crap. Etcetera. What's usually playing on there is [pretty much] *crap*, too, of course - but it breaks the monotony of synthetic peanuts and masking tape, let me tell ya . So, as I've gone about my early days, I've tried really hard to think of something to make today's Trivia Round about ...

1. After the Today show (and much coffee), I typically catch a glimpse of Live with Regis and Kelly, a light-hearted gabfest covering celebrities and (some) current events. Kelly Ripa and Regis Philbin are the erstwhile hosts - clever banter, nice chemistry. Regis has been around forever, it seems (he was born in 1931, which puts more than a few miles on him, of course). His *fame* came and went over time ... but he found a sturdy niche later in life what with his talk show success and a flair for game show hosting. Back in 1961 he was a popular sidekick on the Joey Bishop Show and even released (without a bit of distinction, let's be clear) a record then. They thought he might strike gold as a crooner? Didn't happen ... but it drew some attention his way. Please tell me a track from the 1968 album "It's Time for Regis!", by Mr. Philbin.

2. 10:00AM rolls around and there's a new morning variety hour called The Bonnie Hunt Show. I like Bonnie, I think she's funny in her films and she seems 'touchable', somehow. This must be said, however: she makes it painfully apparent that being a hostess of a talk show is not as easy as some make it look. She's quite personable, but the technical matters are still looking rather rugged on her - she constantly faces the wrong camera, the topics and segueways flow about as smoothly as runaway magma. She has much time to improve/learn, though. One of her recent hit movies came in playing the matriarch in 2003's Cheaper By The Dozen. This time, I'd like to know the first name of one of Bonnie Hunt's 'sons' in the movie "Cheaper By The Dozen" (NOT the name of the actor playing him ~ their surname will all be *Baker*).

3. After Bonnie, viewers are "treated" to the generally edge-of-chaos panel discussion/interview show The View. There is something strangely compelling about the program ~ perhaps it's the involvement of the journalistic doyenne Barbara Walters? Or the raucous Jewish-heavy humor of Joy Behar? The ornery wink(s) coming from Whoopi Goldberg? I tell ya ... for women who constantly spew as to how much they *adore* each other, these gals nearly brawl daily. So we watch, I think, waiting for all Hell to literally break loose . One of the regulars at the table there is Elisabeth Hasselbeck. Her 'TV experience' is that she came in 4th on TV's Survivor in its second season? Kindly tell me another contestant (besides Elizabeth) who was a member of the Kucha tribe on Survivor: The Australian Outback.

4. Since I catch all the news at daybreak, come noon I usually skip over to cable. I'll occasionally watch/listen to reruns of the series Las Vegas, now airing on TNT. Snappy show, that one - which starred James Caan and Josh Duhamel (among others) and originally ran from 2003 until early this year. Mr. Caan alone is worth some attention to it as he is really one versatile and talented actor, even though it could be said that he never quite reached the status of *movie star* (especially in light of some others who did that were far less deserving than he). James Caan quit college in his youth and started his acting career by studying at New York City's Neighborhood Playhouse School of the Theatre. Were he to attend there today, could you tell me one of the courses he might be taking in the second year curriculum? Thank you!

5. At 1PM, TV gets get pretty forgettable around my house each weekday. For noise in the other room only, I put on the 30+ year old soap opera All My Children. I'm really not a snob about such programming (countless people love the genre and lots of good, valid work goes into making them happen - so who am I to snort?). I can say, however, that I don't "get" shows like that very well. I tend to find them entirely confusing. AMC is set in the fictional town of Pine Valley, Pennsylvania - and that's pretty much all I know about it. So let's head a bit south, in the real world, to Wilmington, North Carolina ~ where we'll visit The Pine Valley Market, a place chock full of gourmet foods and friendly faces. Have a look at that market's website and tell me an item on their HOT Hors d'oeuvres Catering menu (skipping all Spring Rolls and Satay today, please).

This'll 'wrap' on Sunday afternoon, I reckon! See you then .

Edited by Gatsby722 (Fri Oct 10 2008 10:58 AM)

#442355 - Wed Oct 08 2008 09:03 AM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Hi everyone, just to announce that Round 7 (Tuesday's round) will be delayed. I hope to have it up in a couple of hours' time, maybe a bit longer than that. It's embarrassing that this notice comes after Round 8 has been posted. Sorry all.

#442356 - Wed Oct 08 2008 01:19 PM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Tuesday Oct 8 – quiz

Yet another round of Bits-to-make-a-whole .

1) Epilepsy is a medical condition that produces seizures which can last from a few seconds to a few minutes. A person who has experienced two or more seizures is considered to have epilepsy. The Epilepsy Foundation is a non-profit organization that “works to ensure that people with seizures are able to participate in all life experiences; to improve how people with epilepsy are perceived, accepted and valued in society; and to promote research for a cure.” Please visit The Epilepsy Foundation’s website and look for the Glossary of Epilepsy terms. From there, please give me any term that is explained under the letter ‘S’.

2) Save the Children is a member of the international Save the Children alliance, working towards ensuring the well-being of children around the world. Under the publications section of the Save the Children website, please give me the name of a publication listed under the section “New and Noteworthy”.

3) The Conservation Fund’s mission is to “conserve America’s legacy of land and water resources”, emphasizing “the integration of economic and environmental goals”. You can read more about their efforts on their website. To conserve means to save, preserve, protect and an area of much concern today is energy conservation. From this article, please give me one of the sub-headings(in smaller bold font) under “Conserving energy in the kitchen” or “Conserving energy in the bathroom and laundry”. Please ignore the sub-headings “By hand” and “Automatic dishwashers”. If you have the time and inclination, the whole article makes for interesting reading.

4) The IU-Kenya Partnership was started in 1989 when the Indiana University School of Medicine and Moi University School of Medicine “agreed to join together to develop leaders in health care for both the U.S. and Africa.” One of their biggest efforts to date has been the creation of AMPATH (Academic Model for Prevention and Treatment of HIV/AIDS) “which treats over 60,000 HIV-positive patients at 18 sites in both urban and rural Kenya.” Please give me the name of any of these 18 sites where AMPATH serves.

5) The National Coalition Against Domestic Violence (“NCADV”) seeks “to eliminate both personal and societal violence against all women and children”. From their state coalition list, please give me the name of an organization whose telephone or fax number begins with a ‘7’. Please note that some of the organizations may have several numbers listed. The main telephone and fax lines are always listed first, just after the organization’s address. Do ignore the rest of the numbers shown for purposes of this question.

Thank you for reading this. Hope you’ll be able to play. This round will close on Sunday 12 October at midnight FT time. Oh and in case anyone’s interested, the ‘whole’ that connects all the charities mentioned in this round can be found here. Apologies for the lateness of this round.

#442357 - Wed Oct 08 2008 03:08 PM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 10 - Friday

I have posted my round a few days early as I will be travelling to the States in a couple of hours and won't be around to post the round on Friday.

1. The IG Nobel Awards are presented at Harvard University by the Annals of Improbable Research (AIR) magazine for the world’s weirdest, wackiest and often most worthless scientific research. They honour achievements that first make people LAUGH, and then make them THINK. Conceived as a parody of the revered Nobel Prizes, the Ig Nobels were first awarded in 1991 and ten prizes are awarded each year. From this site , go to the “The Winners” and please give me the “Reference and category of a prize” won in 2008.

2. Murphy's Law was born at Edwards Air Force Base in 1949 at North Base. It was named after Capt. Edward A. Murphy, an engineer working on Air Force Project MX981, a project designed to see how much sudden deceleration a person can stand in a crash. One day, after finding that a transducer was wired wrong, he cursed the technician responsible and said, "If there is any way to do it wrong, he'll find it." The contractor's project manager kept a list of "laws" and added this one, which he called Murphy's Law. From this page on the Murphys-Law site, would you be so kind and give me a law and its saying (ie:sewing, bus or political laws etc).

3. What was the weirdest science story of the past year? Well, have you heard the one about the South Korean scientists who transferred genes into cloned cat embryos so that they glowed red under ultraviolet light? That tale was the top vote-getter in the unscientific ballot for the 2008 Weird Science Awards - but there's a serious point behind the glowing kitties. Such alterations may be used in the future to correct genetic flaws. Please give me from this site any of the other nine award winners in 2008.

4. The Darwin Awards named in honour of Charles Darwin are a chronicle of enterprising demises honouring those who improve the species...by accidentally removing themselves from it! . Please go to the official Darwin Awards site, and if you would be so kind please choose one of the stories for the 2008 awards.

5. Weird Science was a 1985 film where two teenage nerds, unpopular and unable to meet girls on their own, use Wyatt's computer to design the perfect woman. They feed various data into the computer and lacking sufficient processing power, they hack into a US Government mainframe and use its power to create a computer simulation of "the perfect woman". Please give me the name of one of the actors in this weird movie.

I hope you enjoy this rather strange weird round, which will close on Wed. 15th noonish FT time. I will not be around till Monday, so if you have any questions I will get back to you on Monday.

#442358 - Wed Oct 08 2008 03:31 PM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Ohio USA
Round 3

The Knitting Round – we had six successful solvers for the round. Thanks all for playing.

1. From the web site of Artex Knitting Mills, tell me one of the models of scarves that you can order from them.

For 10 Points
– Basic Striped Scarf, Classic Scarf without Fringe, Fleece Scarf with Fringe, and Mohair Scarf with Fringe

For 5 Points - Mohair Scarf with Arch Design (2)

Not Chosen - Classic Scarf with Fringe, Collegiate Scarf, Fleece Scarf with Die-cut Fringe, and Cotton Ribbed Scarf

2. Take a look at the IBISWORLD report on the Apparel Knitting Mills industry located here and tell me a sector (labeled Product/Services) that the industry is divided into.

For 10 Points
– Women's and girls' knit underwear and nightwear, Men's and boys' knit underwear and nightwear, Other outerwear knit products, and Knit gloves and mittens

For 5 Points - Contract knitting and finishing (2)

Not Chosen - Men's and boys' knit shirts, Women's and girls' sweaters, Women's and girls' knit shirts, Other knitting mill products, and Men's and boys' sweaters

3. Please tell me either a US, UK/Canadian, or Japanese knitting needle size that falls between 2 and 3 mm (inclusive) in length (please include the country in your answer).

For 10 Points
- UK 12, UK 13, Japan 1, and Japan 2

For 5 Points – Japan 0 (2)

Not Chosen - US 0, US 1, US 2, UK 11, UK 14, and Japan 3

4. The wikipedia article on looms break them down into 11 different types. Tell me one of these basic types of looms.

For 10 Points
- Ground loom, Foot-treadle floor loom, and Haute lisse and basse lisse looms

For 5 Points – Back Strap (3)

Not Chosen – Handloom. Frame loom, Rigid heddle looms, Power loom, Knitting loom, Bow looms, and Shuttle loom

5. Please tell me one of the artists that will be performing at the Knitting Factory Boise, ID venue from October 8 to October 10 (10 to choose from).

For 10 Points
- Flogging Molly

For 5 Points - Angels & Airwaves (3) and The Maladies (2)

Not Chosen – Ardent, Anberlin, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, Straylight Run, There For Tomorrow, Beat Union, and The Girls

The Scores:
With 45 Points – brandz_mygirl
With 40 Points – denni19, Gatsby722, and Mugaboo
With 35 Points – szabs
With 30 Points – Nakarinna

So hearty congratulations goes to brandz_mygirl for taking home one FunTrivia point for the month of October. Well Done!

#442359 - Thu Oct 09 2008 10:24 AM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Just twenty-four hours to go for Round 6 ....

#442360 - Thu Oct 09 2008 11:16 AM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 4 - 6 Faithful players

1. Please name any of the top nine, of the world's largest rough diamonds.
For 10 points: Cullinan; Excelsior; Great Mogul; Presidente Vargas
For 5 points: Woyie River [2]
Not mentioned: Star of Sierra Leone; Zale; Jonker; Reitz

2. Please tell me anything that was crooked in the rhyme "There was a Crooked Man".
For 10 points: Mile; Mouse
For 5 points: Cat [2]; Sixpence [2]
Not mentioned: House; Man; Stile

3. Please name any Frenchman to have broken the land speed record.
For 10 points: Victor Hémery; Leon Serpollet
For 5 points: Louis Rigolly [2]; Arthur MacDonald [2]
Not mentioned: Maurice Augieres; Paul Baras; Gaston de Chasseloup-Laubat; Henri Fournier; René Thomas

4. Please give me a Great-grand parent of King Henry III of Castile.
For 10 points: Peter II of Sicily; Elisabeth of Carinthia
For 5 points: Juan Manuel, Duke of Penafiel [2]; Alfonso IV of Aragon [2]
Not mentioned: Alfonso XI of Castile; Eleanor of Guzman; Blanca de La Cerda y Lara; Teresa d'Entença

5. Please find me a Premier of the Republic of China (Taiwan), since Yu Kuo-hwa vacated that position.
For 10 points: Vincent Siew Wan-chang; Tang Fei; Chang Chun-hsiung; Yu Shyi-kun
For 5 points: Hau Pei-tsun [2]
Not mentioned: Lee Huan; Lien Chan; Frank Hsieh Chang-ting; Su Tseng-chang; Liu Chao-shiuan

Scores:
45 points: Denni19
40 points: Brandz_mygirl; Gatsby722; Maninmidohio
35 points: Nakarinna; Szabs

Strong play by all, but Denni19 pushed to the head of the queue, and takes the lone point.

#442361 - Fri Oct 10 2008 09:35 AM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 9 - Thursday

Sorry it's a little late...

1. Patrol Torpedo (PT) boats were a variety of motor torpedo boat. They were small, fast vessels used by the United States Navy in World War II to attack larger surface ships. There are only a few remaining PT boats; consequently there is an organization called 'Save the PT Boat'. Their website shows a fact sheet with a diagram of a Packard 5M-2500 engine. Please tell me the name of any part labeled on this engine schematic.

2. Yom Kippur is the tenth and final day of the Ten Days of Repentance which begin with Rosh Hashanah. This holy day is traditionally observed with a 25-hour period of fasting and intensive prayer, often spent mostly in synagogue services. In 1973, this holiday marked the beginning of the 1973 Arab-Israeli War, when Egypt and Syria surprised Israel by crossing cease-fire lines in the Sinai and Golan Heights. Please name a commander in this war whose first name begins with a vowel (from any country).

3. Sally Ride is an American physicist and a former NASA astronaut. In 1983, she became the first American woman and youngest American to reach outer space. She has received numerous awards and honors including induction into the National Women's, Astronaut, and California Halls of Fame. Several Sally Ride Science Festivals are held throughout the year. Please choose a location where one of these festivals has occured or will occur between April and December 2008.

4. The World Famous Mustard Museum is located in Mount Horeb, Wisconsin. In 2005, the museum held a Mustard Cookoff Contest in which five recipes containing mustard were chosen as winners. Take a look at the 'Recipes' section of the museum's website and browse through the winning recipes. Please select a kind of prepared mustard (not mustard seed or powder) used in any of the five recipes.

5. "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog" is a 43-minute musical film created by Joss Whedon during the WGA writers' strike. It was produced exclusively for Internet distribution. The film tells the story of Dr. Horrible, an aspiring supervillain; Captain Hammer, his nemesis; and Penny, their mutual love interest. Please give me a song from the "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog" soundtrack, excluding any reprises.

This round will close Tuesday at noon FT time. Please PM me with any questions. Good luck!

#442362 - Fri Oct 10 2008 11:14 AM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 6 - Monday
"Katina Paxinou"
Six ever-undaunted players !

1. This site gives a nice, breezy overview of the beautiful city of Piraeus. Give it a look and tell me the name of a PUB there (no bars or cafes) whose first letter can be found in the word/name P-A-X-I-N-O-U ...

For 10 Points:
Abakion, Anemouri, Antonodimitrakis Kon/Nos, I Orea Mikonos, Ipppokabos, Pirekon

Alexandridis Christos, I Gonia, I Elafonnisos, Ndokos Nikos - I Anagennisi, Xofaki Kalliopi, Pantelis Grigorios - O Faros and Paulou Ilias were/are the other places offering merriment as they apply here ....

2. The film was nominated for 9 Academy Awards, winning just one. Please tell me a category in which For Whom the Bell Tolls was Oscar-nominated.

For 10 Points:
Best Actress in a Leading Role (Ingrid Bergman), Best Cinematography (Color), Best Film Editing
For 5 Points:
Best Actor in a Leading Role (Gary Cooper) (3)

The others were Best Picture, Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Katina Paxinou) --- *WINNER!*, Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Akim Tamiroff), Best Art Direction-Interior Decoration (Color), Best Music Scoring of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture.

3. Speaking of "King Lear", please tell me (as per Gutenberg.org) one of the eleven sentences in the final words spoken by the title character in it. Note: some are very very short.

For 10 Points:
"And my poor fool is hang'd!"; "Thou'lt come no more, never, never, never, never, never!"; "Why should a dog, a horse, a rat, have life, and thou no breath at all?"; "Do you see this?"
For 5 Points:
"Look there, look there!" (2)

The other possible choices: "No, no, no life!"; "Pray you undo this button."; "Thank you, sir."; "Look on her!"; "Look!" and "Her lips!"

4. "The House of Bernarda Alba" opened on Broadway at the ANTA Playhouse on January 7, 1951, only running for 17 performances. Please tell me one of the actresses appearing in it on the night it premiered.

For 10 Points:
Helen Craig, Florence Luriea, Betty Morrow, Jada Rowland, Ruth Saville, Kim Stanley
6 other actresses opened the show (none of whom I'd ever heard of ) ...

5. Please tell me a member of the The Politburo Standing Committee of the Communist Party of China between the year of Katina Paxinou's death (1973) and 1977.

For 5 Points:
Zhou Enlai (2), Kang Sheng (2), Deng Xiaoping (2)

Mao Zedong, Wang Hongwen, Zhu De, Ye Jianying, Dong Biwu, Li Desheng, Zhang Chunqiao and Hua Guofeng rounded out the Standing Committee for that interim.

The Results!

45 Points! .... szabs
40 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, denni19, maninmidohio, Mugaboo, nakarinna

Many congratulations to szabs, who edged out a very nearby pack of competitors and took a Trivia Point home today! Thank you all for playing. Great job all around!

#442363 - Sat Oct 11 2008 11:24 AM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Just me again . 24 hours left for Round 8 ....

#442364 - Sun Oct 12 2008 10:35 AM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Hiya all, just a note to say that there's 12 hours and approx 25 minutes to go before Round 7 closes.

Also to add that when I was late posting the round, I got myself all mixed up as to the date.

Thanks all. Good weekend wishes to everyone.

#442365 - Sun Oct 12 2008 11:21 AM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 8 - Wednesday
"Morning TV in Ohio"
Seven superstar players this time

1. Please tell me a track from the 1968 album "It's Time for Regis!", by Mr. Philbin.

For 10 Points:
My Rockin' Chair
For 5 Points:
A Kiss To Build A Dream On (2), Swanee (2), Where Or When (2)

The record also offered the tried-and-true chestnuts "Mame", "The Best Thing You Ever Had", "Medley: Toot, Toot, Tootsie (Goodbye)/Baby Face", "Pennies From Heaven", "Before Your Time" and "The Glory Of Love".

2. This time, I'd like to know the first name of one of Bonnie Hunt's sons in the movie "Cheaper By The Dozen" (NOT the name of the actor playing him) .

For 10 Points:
Mark Baker
For 5 Points:
Charlie Baker (2), Jake Baker (2), Mike Baker (2)

Henry, Kyle and Nigel Baker were the remaining *boy sibs*.

3. Kindly tell me another contestant (besides Elizabeth) who was a member of the Kucha tribe on Survivor: The Australian Outback.

For 10 Points:
Debb Eaton, Kimmi Kappenberg, Michael Skupin, Jeff Varner
For 5 Points:
Alicia Calaway (3)

Nick Brown and Rodger Bingham were the other Kuchas ...

4. Were James Caan to attend Neighborhood Playhouse School of the Theatre today, could you tell me (or him?) one of the courses he might be taking in the second year curriculum? Thank you!

For 10 Points:
Acting Shakespeare, Rehearsal and Performance, Script and Style, Singing Technique, Stage Combat
For 5 Points:
Acting for the Camera (2)

Also available for students of the stage? Acting Techniques, Voice and Speech, Jazz Dance, Ballet, Make-up and the Alexander Technique.

5. Have a look at the Pine Valley Market's website and tell me an item on their HOT Hors d'oeuvres Catering menu (skipping all Spring Rolls and Satay, please).

For 10 Points:
Bacon Wrapped Scallops; Black and Blue Surf and Turf Skewers; Mini Ham Biscuits with Praline Glaze
For 5 Points:
Bacon Wrapped Plantains (2); Horseradish Crusted Rack of Lamb with Cranberry Chutney (2)

Maryland Style Crab Cakes with Ginger Aioli; Coconut Shrimp; Sausage and Herb Stuffed Mushrooms; Proscuitto Wrapped Shrimp; Spanakopita and Mini Burgers are the other (pretty darned delicious sounding) choices.

The Results!

40 Points! .... denni19, ecnalubma, maninmidohio
35 Points! .... Mugaboo, szabs
30 Points! .... brandz_mygirl
25 Points! .... nakarinna

October Trivia Points (and a congratulatory tip o' the hat) go to denni19, ecnalubma (welcome! --- and what a fine start, too !) and maninmidohio today. Thank you all for playing!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Wed Oct 15 2008 01:37 PM)

#442366 - Mon Oct 13 2008 02:35 AM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 13 ~ Monday

Recently, this planet lost one of its more eloquent, humble and generous citizens. He gave us many *people* as he went - snarky cattle ranchers, lovable outlaws, a few tortured businessmen, a handful of swindlers. And even some salad dressing, too . But most of all? He earmarked our journey, giving us those exasperatingly hypnotic eyes (and that occasionally wise-cracking soul they were window to) on dark walls that he managed to light up with characters that will forever help us remember who we were, when - as we grew up watching him make us smile AND think, year after year. Seven questions this time. To be honest, given the material, I think it'd have been easy to come up with seventy .

1. It could be said that a celebrity is across-the-board v-e-r-y important when their name gets mentioned in a hit pop song. Well -- one must be hugely significant to merit a whole song NAMED in their honor, yes? The Scottish band Dogs Die in Hot Cars, notably successful in the UK, put a song on their debut album in 2004 called 'Paul Newman's Eyes'. The lyrics aren't exactly staggeringly creative, to say the very least . To wit: *But I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes ... And every day came with some surprise ... I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes ... That would be nice!* To start, please tell me another track on the album "Please Describe Yourself" by Dogs Die in Hot Cars (UK Version).

2. He was born in Shaker Heights, Ohio ~ a suburb of Cleveland that abuts the city on its eastern side. The United Society of Believers in Christ's Second Appearing, or the Shakers, were a Protestant denomination that formed in Manchester, England in 1747. They originated from the the Quakers, o' course - both groups believing that everybody could find God within him or herself, rather than through clergy or rituals. These days, they seem most widely known for their skill at building furniture - very sparse and NOT ornate, yet durable and lovely. The Crooked Lake Review is a New York State history magazine, that discusses Shakers and their lore at length (the sect got its initial foothold in that area upon reaching America). Look at their website and tell me the name of a Museum that begins with the letter P or N on the 'Museum Schedule' page.

3. Paul was nominated for 10 Academy Awards (finally winning one for a film [The Color of Money] which, to many, was far less deserving than most of those prior times he lost the prize). His number of *wins* - the guy had a great attitude about accolades: to Paul, it was the "doing", the work, that mattered most and not the recognition that surrounded it - at the Golden Globes was a bit more substantial. The world over adored the actor, though. Makes good sense that the Hollywood Foreign Press Association would favor him every chance they got. Kindly tell me a production that Paul Newman was nominated (or won) a Golden Globe for. TV or Movies, either/or.

4. Mr. Newman was an avid auto racing enthusiast, and first became interested in motorsports ("the first thing that I ever found I had any grace in," he once said) while filming Winning, in 1969. Newman's maiden professional event was in 1972, and he was a competitor in Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) events for the rest of the decade, eventually winning several championships. The SCCA Hall of Fame formation was announced February 7, 2004 at the National Convention with a mission "to preserve, protect, recognize and record their accomplishments and history for current and future members ...who have made significant contributions to the development of Sports Car Club of America and its goals." Nominations were submitted and 10 were selected to be in the initial induction class. Kindly tell me one of those inaugural inductees to the SCCA Hall of Fame in 2005.

5. Paul Newman diversified in his film career - ultimately making a bigger name for himself as a director (after solidly establishing his reputation as an actor). One early effort was The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds in 1972, a nice little movie starring his wife Joanne Woodward AND their young daughter Nell. It's the story of a dysfunctional family consisting of single mother Beatrice and her two daughters, Ruth and Tillie, who cope with their abysmal status in life. Marigolds (the play) won the 1971 Pulitzer Prize for its plawright Paul Zindel - who, becauseof its success, forged a notable career after it writing books for young adults. Newman's finest hour as a director was (in my simple opinion) a piece called Rachel, Rachel (1968) - but the Zindel project brought much more attention, at the time. This time, please tell me a play written by Paul Zindel ~ excluding The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds.

6. So many of my favorite movies of all-time had Mr. Newman in them (he certainly attached himself, typically, to the highest level of cinema). There was Hud, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, The Hustler, The Verdict and the brilliant Nobody's Fool, among others. But [maybe?] the best of 'em was Cool Hand Luke, a 1967 film directed by Stuart Rosenberg. "What we got here is a failure to communicate ..." is a classic line from the tale of a spirited inmate in a surly prison yard who refuses, at any cost, to let the 'system' break that spirit. Actor Strother Martin said that for-posterity quote in the flick, playing a captain who oversaw the "bosses" in the Florida prison. From Cool Hand Luke, please tell me a surname (or whatever 'second name' follows *Boss*) of one of the *Bosses* in the cast list - or, if you'd rather, give me the name of the actor who played one.

7. Paul Newman was a truly benevolent man; he took his good fortune and shared it - a true example of "paying forward". The food products that bear his name were started specifically to assign all proceeds therefrom to charity. Another extraordinary example of his philanthropy is The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp, a summer camp for ill children, which is located in Connecticut. Newman cofounded the camp in '88; it was named after the gang in his film Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. That one camp has expanded into several camps, now, in the U.S., Ireland, France and Israel. They provide children with cancer and other serious illnesses a camping experience of the highest quality, while extending year-round support to their families and providers. On the Team Hole In The Wall website there's a short letter written by Paul Newman (for *inspiration*). Tell me a sentence from that message, sent from the heart of this exceptionally heartful man.

RIP, Mr. Newman! And this will close up shop on Friday afternoon! Have a terrific week, folks !

Edited by Gatsby722 (Mon Oct 13 2008 03:46 AM)

#442367 - Mon Oct 13 2008 07:36 AM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 7 is closed. Just waiting for one clarification. Results will be posted soonest possible.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002