Terms of Use

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#442393 - Sat Oct 25 2008 08:35 AM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
(Just over) 24 hours to go for Round 22 .....

#442394 - Sat Oct 25 2008 11:14 PM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Round 20 is now closed. I forgot to post a reminder about Round 20 closing , and am therefore using this PM to remind everyone that Round 21 will be closing in 24 hours time.

Results for Round 20 will be posted soon. Am working on it right now.

#442395 - Sat Oct 25 2008 11:27 PM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Oct 20 Round - Answers

6 DID TIME! Read all about it here.

1) From here, please give me the name of a country that does not use DST.
For Ten Points: Philippines, Kazakhstan, Macau, Bangladesh, Oman, Venezuela
For Five Points: None!
Not mentioned: China, Kuwait, Indonesia, Puerto Rico, Taiwan, United Arab Erimates Lots more can be found on the linked page.

2) Please tell me any time saving practice you use, be it for work, at home, shopping….
For Ten Points:
- There is a fine line between time saving practice and just plain lazy. I tell everyone that the dust on my collection of glassware is a fine patina which should not be disturbed otherwise the value would be diminished. (This is part of the housecleaning maxium - If it does not bother you, no need to clean it; corollary - The first person who complains is the one who has to do the job.)
- If I see a long queue at one shop, I go elsewhere and come back later.
- Don’t procrastinate – stop picking up things to do, then putting them down again until later. Try putting a red dot sticker on something that you pick up, so that it looks like a nasty rash – the more dots, the ‘sicker’ it looks. Get it done before it looks like something you don’t want to catch!
- When grocery shopping (I always use the same store), I always make my list *match* the route through the store/its layout. Saves having to backtrack and/or "circle".
- Do homework on the subway
- I normally go vegetable/fruit shopping very early in the morning 6.30 -7am to avoid the cues at the checkout counter.
For Five Points: Not surprisingly, none!
I thought about trying to shorten some of the answers but I’m terrible at such stuff and everyone’s answers are great as they are.

3) From this page, please give me any quote about time that is only one sentence long.
For Ten Points:
- Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
- Time bears away all things, even the mind
For Five Points:
- Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely (2)
- One by one the sands are flowing, one by one the moments fail; some are coming, some are going; do not strive to grasp them all (2)

Not mentioned: Procrastination is the thief of time, The trouble with our times is that the future is not what it used to be, Everything happens to everybody sooner or later if there is time enough…. You can read the rest via the link. I counted 20 quotes that fit the one sentence requirement.

4) Please name an actor/actress who plays the part of any of the Weasleys or any relation of Harry Potter who appear in the movie (“Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban”).
For Ten Points: Julie Walters (Molly Weasley), Geraldine Somerville (Lily Potter), Pam Ferris (Aunt Marge)
For Five Points: Chris Rankin (Percy Weasley) (3)
Not mentioned: Richard Griffiths (Vernon Dursley), Fiona Shaw (Petunia Dursley), Harry Melling (Dudley Dursley), Adrian Rawlins (James Potter), Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley), Oliver Phelps (George Weasley), James Phelps (Fred Weasley), Bonnie Wright (Ginny Weasley), Mark Williams (Arthur Weasley)

5) From here, please give me the name of a city whose time is ahead of/in front of Singapore’s time. Do please limit yourself only to those cities as shown on the linked page.
For Ten Points: Melbourne, Vladivostok, Kiritimati, Sydney
For Five Points: Brisbane (2)
Not mentioned: Adelaide, Anadyr, Auckland, Canberra, Chatham Island, Darwin, Kamchatka, Perth, Seoul, Suva.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
50 points: Maninmidohio Great work!

Other Results:
45 points: Lizard_wizard and Szabs
40 points: Mugaboo and Gatsby
35 points: Ecnalubma

Everyone did a great job with their answers. Thank you to all six for doing the time.

#442396 - Sun Oct 26 2008 10:47 AM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 22 - Wednesday
"Joe the Plumber"
Five fiercely competent players this time !

1. Kindly tell me another singer (not Stafford) who was an original member of 'The Pied Pipers'.

For 10 Points:
Chuck Lowry
For 5 Points:
Woody Newbury (2), George Tait (2)

The other Pipers were John Huddleston, Hal Hooper, Bud Hervey and Dick Whittinghill.

2. But, anyway, this time I need to know the venue, the city where it happened -or- the moderator of any of the three US Presidential Debates (Obama vs. McCain, nose-to-nose) in 2008.

For 10 Points:
Nashville, Tennessee
For 5 points:
Jim Lehrer (Moderator - 1st Debate) (2); Oxford, Mississippi (2)

The debates happened as follows: Jim Lehrer moderated the first one at the University of Mississippi's Gertrude C. Ford Center in Oxford, Mississippi. The second was at Belmont University's Curb Event Center in Nashville, Tennessee - hosted by Tom Brokaw. The final debate came at Hofstra University's Hofstra Arena in Hempstead, New York with Bob Schieffer moderating.

3. Skipping 'Administration' and 'Definitions', could you name a chapter in the 2006 Uniform Plumbing Code?

For 10 Points:
Chapter 8 - Indirect Wastes, Chapter 11 - Storm Drainage, Chapter 17 - Evaluating Sites & Their Requirements
For 5 Points:
Chapter 5 - Water Heaters (2)

Some twenty chapters to choose from there. Most too (in my opinion ) dreary-sounding to list. So I reckon we'll move on ....

4. Tell me the name of one of the five Broadway plays (ones that actually opened there - no "Off Broadway", etc.) that Amanda Plummer has performed in. Or, if you'd like, tell me the character that she played in it.

For 10 Points:
Agnes (in "Agnes of God"), Dolly Clandon (in "You Never Can Yell"), "Pygmalion"
For 5 Points:
"You Never Can Tell" (2)

Plummer starred as Eliza Doolittle in 1987 (in "Pygmalion", o' course) and as *The Daughter* in "The Glass Menagerie" in 1984. "Agnes of God" was staged in 1983 and she portrayed Josephine in "A Taste of Honey" (1981).

5. Please tell me one of those ten things - just the main sentence(s) he won't say ...

For 10 Points:
"With a truck this size, you'd think I'd be well stocked. Think again."; "Emergency? You're tenth in line."
For 5 Points:
"Move your sink? Let's not and say we did." (3)

"There's an old plumber's adage: 'An ounce of prevention could cost me 5K.'"; "I'm not really a plumber."; "My less experienced underling will be over in a minute."; "I don't do cleanup."; "This looked so much easier in the diagram."; "Job's all done, and you're good to go - theoretically speaking." -and- "I could've walked you through this repair over the phone. But, hey, there's no money in free advice." rounded out the list. BUT, I'm sure our celebrity-for-a-minute Joe would never even think such ungentlemanly remarks [ahem] ....

The Results!

40 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, szabs
35 Points! .... maninmidohio
30 Points! .... denni19, Mugaboo

Well done, everybody! A very close race indeed - but brandz_mygirl and szabs reigned supreme at the end of the tally. *Congratulations!* to them and thank you all for playing!

#442397 - Sun Oct 26 2008 09:54 PM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 27 ~ Monday

Still finishing up the packing this week (just the little remote piles of dusty *whatsits* was left). I found a box full of photos, books (of course) and souvenirs from a long-ago business trip that I'd convinced my Dad to join me on. He was a Civil War buff, I had (at the time) never been to the Southern US. So ... off to Jackson, Mississippi we went. I'm keeping that box of mementos, too (after revisiting everything in it last Wednesday). It was all refreshed in my head ...

1. One of the more charming ways (and rather an historic one, too) to reach Mississippi would be by using the river that shares its name. OK, so it ain't the fastest route - heck, though, what's the point in being in such a hurry when one can enjoy a view like that? - but the music, companionship and food would merit some enthusiastic savoring. You can make *quick* cruises, however. As night falls, the Paddlewheeler Creole Queen or Riverboat Cajun Queen are useful. The adventure begins in New Orleans, and for two glorious hours one can enjoy the night where the sleepless activity of America's busiest port buzzes. The beautiful noise of a lively jazz band fills the air and you can enjoy a lavish Creole buffet as you listen. Starting your search here, please tell me a menu item on the Dinner Jazz Cruise Creole Buffet Menu .

2. While in Natchez, Mississippi we visited some of the most amazing antebellum homes there. My favorite was Longwood [photo] - a mansion known for its octagonal shape, byzantine onion-like dome, and the contrast between its ornately finished first floor and the unfinished upper ones. The grounds are lovely but the oddly designed house and that (sadly) jarring contrast between floors represents its time significantly. The ideas were grand, half-done, somewhat self-indulgent there. But with war came the ends of many starts. Sometimes it seemed the South was, even in the late 1970s, still trying to "finish", to restore its pre-Civil War grandeur. Dr. Haller Nutt was the builder of Longwood and he compiled a "Book of Receipts, Prescriptions, Useful Rules, etc. for Plantation and Other Purposes" (he was considered quite 'know everything'-ish, in his day). This site will lead you to excerpts from it. Get to *Natchez* and tell me the title of one of the eight *pages* / chapters mentioned.

3. Maxwell Bodenheim (1892-1954) was an American poet and novelist who was known as the "King of Greenwich Village Bohemians". His writing brought him international fame during the Jazz Age of the 1920s (one of my favorite eras, for sure ). He was born Maxwell Bodenheimer in Hermanville (near Natchez), Mississippi. His family moved from Mississippi to Chicago when Max was but 9 years old and he found his way to NYC over a decade later. He met future filmmaker/author Ben Hecht in Illinois and they became literary friends around 1912. The two founded a magazine together and Bodenheim began publishing his earliest verse in 1914. One of my all-time favorite pieces of his is called 'Twilight Pushes Down Your Eyes'. Tell me a line from it, please. The very very cool site *Black Cat Poems* might be of service here ....

4. As mentioned, food and music are very large features of time in Mississippi. In our cyber visit, we've already eaten ... so now it's time for song, yes? To name just a few - B.B. King, Elvis Presley, Jimmie Rodgers, Bo Diddley, Jimmy Buffett, Charlie Pride, Muddy Waters, Conway Twitty, Tammy Wynette, Leontyne Price, Faith Hill, LeAnn Rimes and Lance Bass are/were all [diverse indeed!] musicians from the fine state of Mississppi. The Writers and Musicians Project there, based in Starkville, seeks to preserve the legacy of the current, former and future artisans of their state (they've now taken on actors and artists, too). On their index of musicians, I need to know one listed whose surname begins with the letters *JA*. NOT J -or- A. JA ~ like 'Jazz' or 'Jackrabbit' or (my original destination back then) Jackson ...

5. I remember Mississippi fondly (despite many social/economic divisions there that I was still young and idealistic enough to be shocked by). It was my first chance to interact with true blue *Southerners*, and I liked them plenty. Quite laid back, candid, and very warm ~ without being too welcoming as to appear needy about anything. The food was terrific. The music invigorating. The history thought-provoking, and somewhat bittersweet. But, as we motored between Jackson, Vicksburg, Natchez, and in-between, I recall 'The Magnolia State' as a visually beautiful geography. The view was extraordinary ~ the landscape, especially the rural parts, looked (if I may say so) as close to *God's Country* as I'd ever seen before. To wrap this up, the History Channel offered up a short list of 'Fun Facts' about the multi-faceted state. Pick one of them, please - and don't pick that one about the Mississippi River, since it's already been covered ...

We'll close up shop on this one, say, Friday afternoon. In the meantime I'll go continue to ponder just where in the heck I'm supposed to put all these books in my new place. It could happen there'll end up no room for a bed, at this rate .
Have a fine week!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Wed Dec 31 2008 11:45 AM)

#442398 - Sun Oct 26 2008 11:22 PM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 21 is closed. Results will be a little bit later.

#442399 - Mon Oct 27 2008 07:59 AM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Oct 21 Round - Answers

Thank you to the same 6 from Round 20 who also played this round.

1) This article has a long list of basic items (in point form) that would be useful in an emergency car kit. Just after that long list is a paragraph containing a pared down list (not in point form) of just 11 useful items. Please give me anyone of these 11 items.
For Ten Points: Pen and paper, Rags, Tire inflator, A quart of oil
For Five Points: Small first aid kit (2)
Not mentioned: Two roadside flares, Extra fuses, Flashlight, Leatherman Tool, Pocket knife, Help sign.

2) From here, please give me any one of the 10 suggestions to make a road trip a smooth ride.
For Ten Points: Emergency preparation: cell phone, Maintenance: air conditioning
For Five Points: Emergency preparation: first aid kit (2), Emergency preparation: tools (2)
Not mentioned: Maintenance: tires, Maintenance: hoses and belts, Maintenance: fluids, Maintenance: brakes, Fun and learning: maps and navigation, Fun and learning: in-car entertainment.

3) From this site that sells pocket protectors, please have a look at the home page and, from the introduction paragraphs, give me any word that is highlighted in bold. Just any ONE word please.
For Ten Points: Google, Office, Package, PayPal
For Five Points: Checkout (2)
Not mentioned: Five, Instant, Geek, Side, All, Credit, Cards, And.

4) From here, "Dancing Queen" is deemed as the 33rd most successful song in music history. Could you please give me any song on the list whose number on the chart includes the number “3”.
For Ten Points: #38 Baby One More Time, #13 My Sweet Lord, #93 Rose Garden, #39 Yesterday
For Five Points: #36 Penny Lane (2)
Not mentioned: #3 Rock Around the Clock, #23 Imagine, #30 Billie Jean, #31 Careless Whisper, #32 I Just Called to Say I Love You, #34 It’s Now or Never, #35 Heart of Glass, #37 Can’t Buy Me Love, #43 Hung Up, #53 I Feel Fine, #63 Diana, #73 Night Fever, #83 Karma Chameleon.

5) Please tell me a song that might cause you to act the same way my fave character did (become irritated enough to commit an act of vandalism, completely out of character).
For Ten Points: Bobby Pickett’s “Monster Mash”, Rod Stewart’s “You’re In My Heart”, Meatloaf’s “2 Out of 3 Ain’t Bad”, Band Aid’s “Do They Know It’s Christmas Time”, Kelly Clarkson’s “Since You’ve Been Gone”, Fleetwood Mac’s “Go Your Own Way”.
For Five Points: None.

RESULTS!

Top Place:
50 points: Szabs It’s Szabs’ turn to get full points and win this round, well done!

Other Results:
45 points: Maninmidohio and Mugaboo
40 points: Gatsby
35 points: Ecnalubma and Lizard_Wizard

Everyone’s answers were so good, especially for Q5. Wishing one and all a beautiful week.

#442400 - Mon Oct 27 2008 02:56 PM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 23 will be closing in 20 hours...

#442401 - Tue Oct 28 2008 09:48 AM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 16 Results (Sorry they're late...)

7 players entered this round…

1. Please tell me the name of any album released by Masekela.

For 10 points: Sixty (2000), Beatin' Aroun De Bush (1992), Hugh Masekela & Union of South Africa (1994), Tomorrow (1987), Black to the Future (1994), Still Grazing (2004), The Promise of a Future (1968)

For 5 points: none

Not mentioned: Live at the Market Theatre (2007), The Chisa Years: 1965-1975 (2006), Revival (2005)

2. Please give me the name of one of the nine “X-Files” season finale episodes.

For 10 points: "Requiem," "Biogenesis"

For 5 points: "Gethsemane" (3), "Talitha Cumi" (2)

Not mentioned: "The Erlenmeyer Flask," "Anasazi," "The End," "Existence," "The Truth: Parts I & II"

3. Please name a real-life person featured in On the Road..

For 10 points: Ed Stringham, Alan Harrington, Bea Franko, Joan Vollmer, Gene Pippin, Allen Temko, Helen Hinkle

Not mentioned: Jack Kerouac, Gabrielle Kerouac, Alan Ansen, and others

4. Other than these two archrivals, please select another primary character featured on "Looney Tunes."

For 10 points: Bugs Bunny, Foghorn Leghorn, Road Runner, Pepé Le Pew, Daffy Duck

For 5 points: Porky Pig (2)

Not mentioned: Elmer Fudd, Wile E. Coyote, Yosemite Sam, Speedy Gonzales, Marvin the Martian, Tasmanian Devil

5. Please choose a 'fantasy item' offered in Neiman Marcus' 2005 "Christmas Book."

For 10 points: NM Limited-Edition 2007 Lexus GS ($65,000); Collection of jewels with eight significant pieces of jewelry spanning the last three centuries ($1.2 million)

For 5 points: IndyCar Series Simulator ($65,000-75,000) – (2); Skycar Prototype ($3.5 million) – (3)

Not Mentioned: Private concert with Elton John ($1.5 million); Dreamboat Limited-Edition Levitating Sculpture ($18,000-90,000); His & Hers Custom Photobooth ($20,000); Grand Empire Railroad ($200,000); Tree Sculpture ($50,000)

Scores:

With 50 points: brandz_mygirl
With 45 points: denni19, ecnalubma
With 40 points: maninmidohio, szabs
With 35 points: Mugaboo, Gatsby722

Congratulations to brandz_mygirl for winning an October trivia point!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#442402 - Tue Oct 28 2008 11:08 AM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 23 Results

6 players entered this round…

1. Please take a look at this list and select one of these ten rapid mammals.

For 10 points: Blue Wildebeest, Red Fox

For 5 points: Pronghorn Antelope (2), Grant's Gazelle (2)

Not mentioned: Cheetah, Lion, Springbok, Brown Hare, Thomson's Gazelle, Horse

2. Please choose a television show, movie, or video game in which "The Howdy Doody Show" was referenced.

For 10 points: Avalon (1990); Shakes the Clown (1991); Man on the Moon (1999), Back to the Future Part III (1990)

For 5 points: "The Nanny" (1995) – (2)

Not mentioned: "The A-Team" (1984); "The Golden Girls" (1986), Good Night, and Good Luck. (2005), and others

3. Other than the cast of "The Sopranos," please name someone who made the top fifteen on the 2006 Forbes list.

For 10 points: Tiger Woods, Bruce Springsteen

For 5 points: 50 Cent (2), Dan Brown (2)

Not mentioned: Tom Cruise, Rolling Stones, Oprah Winfrey, and others

4. Please pick a part of the fish heart labeled on part (a) of this diagram.

For 10 points: Ventricle, Hepatic veins, Atrium, Cuvarian ducts

For 5 points: Sinus venosus (2)

Not mentioned: Conus arteriosus, Sinoatrial valve, Pericardium, Ventral aorta

5. Please look up the Mencken creed and give me one of the ten "I believe" statements within it.

For 10 points: "I believe in the reality of progress." / "I believe that all government is evil, in that all government must necessarily make war upon liberty." / "I believe that religion, generally speaking, has been a curse to mankind - that its modest and greatly overestimated services on the ethical side have been more than overcome by the damage it has done to clear and honest thinking." / "I believe that it is better to be free than to be a slave." / "I believe that the evidence for immortality is no better than the evidence of witches, and deserves no more respect." / "I believe in the capacity of man to conquer his world, and to find out what it is made of, and how it is run."

Not Mentioned: "I believe that no discovery of fact, however trivial, can be wholly useless to the race, and that no trumpeting of falsehood, however virtuous in intent, can be anything but vicious." / "I believe in the complete freedom of thought and speech." / "I believe that it is better to tell the truth than to lie." / "I believe that it is better to know than be ignorant."

Scores:

With 45 points: maninmidohio, Mugaboo
With 40 points: szabs, ecnalubma
With 35 points: Gatsby722, brandz_mygirl

Congratulations to maninmidohio and Mugaboo for winning one October trivia point each!

#442403 - Tue Oct 28 2008 11:36 AM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Round 24 will be closing in 24 hours, plenty of time for more entries.

#442404 - Tue Oct 28 2008 01:58 PM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
ROUND 28 - Tuesday

1. Computers have often been used as fictional objects in literature, movies and in other forms of media.
Please give me the name of any fictional computer that ever "appeared" in a radio production/show/series.

2. Olin Levi Warner, an American sculptor and artist, is credited for having brought the French Beaux Arts style to the United States, and popularizing the bas relief through numerous portraits in this style. Many of his works are adorning the Thomas Jefferson Building.
Make a wee stop HERE and please pick one of the inscriptions to be found above those eight symbolic statues.

3. Please give me one of the Top Ten names in the "Hall of Fame" on the World Memory Championships website.

4. The concept of collective memory, initially developed by Maurice Halbwachs, has been explored and expanded from various angles. More recently the idea has been discussed in "The Celestine Prophecy" (and few subsequent novels) written by James Redfield.
Please give me one of the Nine Insights that are mentioned in "The Celestine Prophecy".

5. On This Page, under "The Mind", go to Full list of surveys and pick any of them listed.

This round will be closed on Sunday, at 10 am - FT time.

#442405 - Wed Oct 29 2008 02:42 AM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Wednesday 29th October round
Q1 A song from “The Wizard of Oz” – the movie
Q2 A person who features in the board game Clue (Cluedo to our English people!
Q3 A popular Christmas Carol
Q4 A section of the Funtrivia Forums - e.g. The welcome centre (The Welcome centre isn't allowed now!
Q5 A song from “Mary Poppins”
This round ends over the weekend!

#442406 - Thu Oct 30 2008 03:52 AM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 24 is closed, answers will follow shortly.

#442407 - Thu Oct 30 2008 04:29 AM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Round 24 - Answers Six very enthusiastic players participated in the round dedicated to Boxers - the four legged ones I must add .

1. The Boxer is renowned from olden times for his great love and faithfulness to his master and household. He is harmless in the family, but distrustful of strangers, bright and friendly of temperament at play, but brave and determined when aroused. His intelligence and willing tractability, his modesty and cleanliness make him a highly desirable family dog and cheerful companion. He is the soul of honesty and loyalty, and is never false or treacherous even in his old age. There are a few famous boxers around who have been on the big or small screen, could you please give me the name of a famous boxer and on what show/movie they where in.

For 10 Points : "6 Boxers Boxing", in the movie The 12 Dogs of Christmas, Albert (BBC soap opera EastEnders)
For 5 Points : Bruno, portraying Hank on CSI (2), Wilson in Good Boy! (2)
Among Others: Hampton, in the movie Thirteen, Cashdog - Joel Madden and Benji Madden Good Charlotte's dog, Presley - Winner of "Americas Greatest Dog"

2. Boxerworld.com is the ultimate resource to showcase the wonderful attributes of our great friend the boxer. On the home page of Boxerworld you will find a four paragraph poem dedicated to the boxers, would you be so kind and give me one of the lines.

For 10 Points : Maybe jumps high in the air, Sleep and snore without a care, If he loves you like a child, And is sometimes just as wild
For 5 Points : With a faith that is unerring (2)
Among Others: If your boxer chases flies, Or gives those heavy sighs, Soulful eyes to view you sadly, Before kidney beaning madly, If he's silly but, still thinks.

3. The Brasserie du Boxer SA beer company was founded on April 6, 1960, the brewery was named after the favorite dog of the founder, Mr. A. Heusser. He wanted to incorporate into the philosophy of the company the qualities he discovered in his boxer dog named Aramis: loyalty, fidelity, protection of freedom and tenacity. From the Boxer Beer site , please give me the name of one of their type of beers. (Please no imported ones).

For 10 Points : Winter Beer - “LA FORTE”
For 5 Points : Ginger Beer (3), Premium (2)
Among Others: Old, Brunette, Goal, Cowboys & Bière de fête

4. Crufts, which is organized by the UK Kennel Club and held in Manchester every year is officially recognised as the world’s largest dog show by the Guinness Book of Records and the 2008 show had almost 23,000 dogs entered, including 1,165 dogs from overseas and 160,000 dog loving visitors. Crufts consists of several competitions occurring at the same time. The main competition is for the Best in Show award, which is generally considered the highest award achievable by a dog and its owner throughout the world. From the Crufts result site, please give me the name of any boxer who came first in their class in 2008.

For 10 Points : CH WINUWUK LUST AT FIRST SIGHT, CH BELLCHIME SPECIAL EDITION, WINUWUK UP CLOSE N PERSONNAL, SANDEXE BENIJAMA WITH ASTRALUNE
For 5 Points : MANIC GAME SHOW (2)
20 to choose from, among others: NORWILBECK DESIGNED IN TIME, EMAND HOT SHOT, HILLROY HIGH 'N' DRY AT BORESTONE, KREUSEVINT DANCING WITH NEWLAITHE

5. One of the most important things if you ever think of getting a boxer or really any other family puppy dog is that you find a good breeder, this can make a world of difference in a dogs behaviour or health. Boxers have enough potential health issues to justify searching for one that has been bred specifically to avoid or lessen the chances of having these illnesses. From this site , would you be so kind and give me the name of one of the Featured Boxer Breeders with Boxer Puppies For Sale.

For 10 Points : Royal Dutch Kennel, Cocalico Boxers, Boeuf River Boxers, HannahBoo Kennel
For 5 Points : Geejay Kennel (2)
Among Others: K-Lin Boxers, Denton's Kennel, Rippling Spring Puppies, Greenfield Puppies.

Scores

We have two winners with a score of 45 points : Denni19 & Ecnalubma
With 35 points: Brandz_mygirl, Gatsby722, Mugaboo
With 30 points: Maninmidohio
Congratulations are in order to Denni19 & Ecnalubma , well done ladies for picking up an October point . Thank you all for playing, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your week, wherever you are .

#442408 - Thu Oct 30 2008 03:06 PM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 30 - Thursday

1. The B.F. Goodrich Company was one of the largest tire and rubber manufacturers in the world. However, in 1988, the tire division of the company was sold to Michelin. The remaining portion of the company was eventually renamed the Goodrich Corporation and became an aerospace manufacturing company. Michelin, on the other hand, has now claimed the title of the world's largest tire company. Please have a look at their passenger car/minivan tires, and pick one of their listed tire lines.

2. Sports Illustrated magazine, the leading American sports magazine, achieved enormous popularity through innovations such as the inclusion of plentiful color illustrations, scouting reports, and sports card inserts. Many athletes have graced the magazine's cover, but a much smaller group has done so posthumously. Please name someone who has been on a Sports Illustrated tribute (or in memoriam) cover.

3. Cabbage is a leafy garden vegetable used worldwide. Many dishes - including coleslaw, sauerkraut, and kimchi - utilize cabbage as a principal ingredient. Additionally, cabbage is thought to have anti-inflammatory properties and has been used for centuries to relieve pain caused by acute inflammation. As a result, cabbage is produced throughout the world. Please take a look at the United Nations' Food and Agricultural listing for cabbage and choose one of the world's top ten cabbage producers as of 2005.

4. Backgammon is a board game for two players in which the playing pieces are moved around the board according to the roll of dice. A player wins by removing all of his pieces from the board. The game is thought to have originated about 5000 years ago in Mesopotamia. Any game that has been around for so long will understandably have many variations. Please visit this backgammon website and tell me the name of any backgammon variant with a single-word name (hyphenated words will count as two).

5. Rapper's Delight," a 1979 single by American hip hop trio The Sugarhill Gang, holds the distinction of being the first hip hop hit single to hit the top of the charts. It is generally credited as popularizing hip hop in the United States. VH1 recently named "Rapper's Delight" #2 on their top 100 hip hop songs list . Please select another top-fifteen entry on VH1's "100 Greatest Hip Hop Songs."

This round will close Tuesday, November 4th at noon FT time. Please PM me with any questions. Good luck!

#442409 - Fri Oct 31 2008 08:02 AM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 31

Today is Halloween. When I was about eight years old, I was eagerly looking forward to Halloween and the time to go out Trick or Treating and gather in all that candy. My plans, unfortunately, were waylaid when I came down with chickenpox a day before the loot was to be gathered. My cousin Judy, who was a year older than I, volunteered to collect the goodies for me. So, she went around door to door saying “Trick or Treat, and could I have some for my sick cousin at home.”

So in memory of that Halloween of yore this will be the Chickenpox Round.

1. Abu Bakr Muhammad ibn Zakariya Razi (Rhazes) was a Persian alchemist, chemist, physician, philosopher and scholar. He lived from 865 to 925 and is credited with being the first to identify chickenpox and clearly differentiate it from small pox and measles. He made a famous quote on medical ethics that begins “The doctor’s aim is to do good ….” Please supply me with a word of seven or eight letters that follows this introduction in the quote.

2. Chickenpox was the name of an episode in season 2 of South Park in which the boys' parents try to deliberately infect the boys with chickenpox so that they can get it out of the way. Such a nefarious plot, of course, has its consequence and general mayhem ensues. Please tell me the name of an episode of South Park that preceded Chickenpox in season 2 of that show.

3. Chickenpox was a Swedish ska band signed to Burning Heart Records. They existed from 1994 until they broke up in 2002. Their first album was At Mickey Cohen's Thursdaynight Pokergame. Tell me the name of one of the tracks on that album.

4. A pox is a type of disease, often caused by an animal virus, characterised by pockmarks. POX is also used as a shortened form of Plain Old XML. Go to the Wikipedia page for Plain Old XML and give me another word of computer jargon used on that page.

5. Chickenpox is caused by the Varicella Zoster virus. Tell me a word of seven letters or more that can be made from the letters in “Varicella Zoster”.

The Chickenpox Round will close noonish (FT Time) on Wednesday, Novermber 5. Have a great weekend.

#442410 - Fri Oct 31 2008 10:31 AM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 27 - Monday
"Mississippi"
Six entirely significant players joined in !

1. Starting your search here, please tell me a menu item on the Dinner Jazz Cruise Creole Buffet Menu .

For 10 Points:
Cajun Potatoes, Shrimp Creole
For 5 Points:
Cajun Braised Beef Brisket (2), Creole Chicken Smothered in a Garlic Sauce (2)

Or you might decide to enjoy New Orleans Gumbo, Jambalaya, Paddlewheeler Bread Pudding (with white chocolate sauce), Bread and Butter, New Orleans Dark Coffee and/or Iced Tea

2. This site will lead you to excerpts from it. Get to *Natchez* and tell me (briefly) one of the eight *pages* mentioned in "Book of Receipts, Prescriptions, Useful Rules ...."

For 10 Points:
Brilliant Stucco White Wash; To Keep Varments from Corn; To Kill Lice On Cattle, Hogs & Horses; To Measure the Contents Of A Cistern or any Other Cylinder
For 5 Points:
To Trim Nails Into Hard Wood (2)

Dr. Nutt also had a few things to say about Skippers In Meat, Cock Roaches -and- Blue Wash for Walls

3. One of my all-time favorite pieces of his is called 'Twilight Pushes Down Your Eyes'. Tell me a line from it, please.

For 10 Points:
Silence cuts your lips to a keener red; Night will soon whisk away this room
For 5 Points:
And your hands lie over it, guarding the corpse (2); But you are already invisible (2)

The poem:
Twilight pushes down your eyes
With shimmering, pregnant fingers
That leave you covered with still-born touch.
With little whips of dead words
Silence cuts your lips to a keener red.
Your heart strikes its bed of dark mirth, in death,
And your hands lie over it, guarding the corpse.
Night will soon whisk away this room
But you are already invisible.

4. On their index of musicians, I need to know one listed whose surname begins with the letters *JA*. NOT *J* -or- *A*. JA ~ like 'Jazz' or 'Jackrabbit' or (my original destination back then) Jackson ...

For 10 Points:
Jaimoe (drummer and percussionist ~ founding member of The Allman Brothers), Carl Jackson (Grammy Award-winning country and bluegrass musician), Jim Jackson (African American blues and hokum singer, songster and guitarist in the 1920s), Vasti Jackson (legendary Southern blues guitarist), Eddie James, Jr. (very influential "Delta Blues" musician), Elmore James (blues guitarist, singer, song writer and band leader - known as "The King of the Slide Guitar")

Bessie Jackson, Cordell Jackson, Charlie "Love" Jacobs, Nehemiah "Skip" James and Bobby Jay were also singled out.

5. To wrap this up, the History Channel offered up a short list of 'Fun Facts' about the state. Pick one of them, please - and don't pick that one about the Mississippi River, since it's already been covered ...

For 10 Points:
Flexible Flyer, the developers of the much-loved snowsled and producers of swing sets and hobby horses, has been headquartered in West Point, Mississippi, since 1889; Jimmie Rodgers, known as the "Father of Country Music" was a native of Meridian; Known as the Olympics of Dance, the USA International Ballet Competition is held every four years in Jackson, Mississippi's capital; The Blues Archive at the University of Mississippi in Oxford contains one of the world's largest collections of blues music.
For 5 Points:
Seventy percent of the world's farm-raised catfish comes from Mississipi. The town of Belzoni, site of the annual World Catfish Festival, is known as the "Catfish Capital of the World" (2)

The others: The world's first human lung transplant was performed at the University of Mississippi in 1963 - the world's first human heart transplant was performed there the next year; The 4-H Club, the youth organization devoted to hands-on learning, was founded in Holmes County in 1907 (the four "H's" refer to head, heart, hands and health); The capital of Mississippi was named after Andrew Jackson, the seventh U.S. president; The International Checker Hall of Fame, founded by Charles Walker in 1976, can be found in Petal, Mississippi; ~and, of course~ Tupelo is home to the Elvis Presley Museum, a two-room house where "The King" was born.

The Results!

45 Points! .... denni19
40 Points! .... brandz_mygirl, ecnalubma, maninmidohio, szabs
35 Points! .... Mugaboo

Tips o' the congratulatory hat to denni19 for holding the top score this time ! And thank you all, near and far, for traveling to Mississippi with me. Have an extraordinary weekend!

#442411 - Sun Nov 02 2008 11:25 AM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Round 28 (Tuesday) is now closed.
Results will be posted early tomorrow morning.

#442412 - Mon Nov 03 2008 01:39 AM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Round 29 will close larer today!

#442413 - Mon Nov 03 2008 10:38 AM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 30 will be closing in a little over 25 hours...

#442414 - Mon Nov 03 2008 11:27 AM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Wednesday 29th October results

Q1 A song from “The Wizard of Oz” – the movie
FOR TEN POINTS:
Lollipop Guild song, If I Only Had the Nerve, "It Really Was No Miracle", The Merry Old Land of Oz,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
If I Only Had a Heart (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
Somewhere over the Rainbow and more

Q2 A person who features in the board game Clue (Cluedo to our English people!
FOR TEN POINTS:
Reverend Green.
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Mrs White (2), Mrs Peacock (3),
NOT MENTIONED:
Professor Plum, Colonel Mustard and Miss Scarlet

Q3 A popular Christmas Carol
FOR TEN POINTS:
I saw three ships, Mele Kalikimaka, It came upon a Midnight clear, “Go tell it on the Mountains”, Little Donkey, O Holy Night,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Ten points to all
NOT MENTIONED:
Silent Night, Oh Little Town of Bethlehem, Once In Royal David’s City and more

Q4 A section of the Funtrivia Forums - e.g. The welcome centre (The Welcome centre isn't allowed now!
FOR TEN POINTS:
Why is the sky blue? Music Cellar, Tipping competitons, Photo-a-Day & Photography
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Current Events (2)
NOT MENTIONED:
Jokes and Humor, Games and Challenges and more!

Q5 A song from “Mary Poppins”
FOR TEN POINTS:
The life I lead, I love to laugh, Sister Suffragette, The Perfect Nanny,
FOR FIVE POINTS:
Feed the birds (2),
NOT MENTIONED:
Let’s go Fly a kite, It’s a Jolly Holiday, Chim Chim Cherree and more

SCORES - Six Players
brandz_mygirl – 45
Szabs – 45
Denni – 40
maninmidohio – 40
Mugaboo – 40
Lizard_Wizard- 35

Well done to Brandz_mygirl and Szabs!

#442415 - Mon Nov 03 2008 02:52 PM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Results for ROUND 28

6 dedicated players for this round – Thank you all !

1 - Please give me the name of any fictional computer that ever "appeared" in a radio production/show/series.

10 points: Earth, The Mainframe

5 points: Executive [2], Deep Thought [2]

Not mentioned: Eddie, Alarm Clock, Hab, Alpha, Gemini, System, Angel 1, Angel 2 and a few more

2 - Thomas Jefferson Building - Make a wee stop HERE and please pick one of the inscriptions to be found above those eight symbolic statues.

10 points:

- WE TASTE THE SPICES OF ARABIA YET NEVER FEEL THE SCORCHING SUN WHICH BRINGS THEM FORTH. (Commerce)

5 points:

- THE HEAVENS DECLARE THE GLORY OF GOD; AND THE FIRMAMENT SHEWETH HIS HANDIWORK. (Science) [3]
- OF LAW THERE CAN BE NO LESS ACKNOWLEDGED THAN THAT HER VOICE IS THE HARMONY OF THE WORLD. (Law) [2]

Not mentioned: The other 5 inscriptions – for Philosophy, Art, History, Religion and Poetry

3 - Please give me one of the Top Ten names in the "Hall of Fame" on the World Memory Championships website.

10 points ALL: Clemens Mayer, Joachim Thaler, Dominic O’Brien, Strid Plessl, Andi Bell, Dr. Gunther Karsten

4 - Please give me one of the Nine Insights that are mentioned in "The Celestine Prophecy".

10 points: A Matter of Energy, Clearing the Past, The Longer Now, A Critical Mass

5 points: Engaging the Flow [2]

Not mentioned: The Struggle For Power, The Message of the Mystics, The Interpersonal Ethic, The Emerging Culture

5 - On This Page, under "The Mind", go to Full list of surveys and pick any of them listed.

10 points ALL: Morals, Millionaire, Sensation Seeking, Disgust, Art and Personality, Perfectionism

The RESULTS for Round 28 are:

With 45 points: Brandz and Gatsby – Well done you two!

With 40 points: Ecnalumba, Szabs and Maninmidohio

With 35 points: Mugaboo

Congratulations to Brandz and Gatsby for making it to the top in this round. They each get one monthly point in October for their inspired choices.

I would like to say a special "Thank you!" to Ecnalumba for playing my round. It is the first time and I am hoping it won't be the last .

#442416 - Tue Nov 04 2008 01:01 PM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark
Ohio USA
Round 31 will close in a little less than 24 hours. Plenty of time for regular and new players to get in their entries. All are welcome to play.

#442417 - Wed Nov 05 2008 09:32 AM Re: October 2008 Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 30 Results

8 players entered this round…

1. Please have a look at Michelin’s passenger car/minivan tires, and pick one of their listed tire lines.

For 10 points: Weatherwise II, Destiny, Energy LX4, X Radial

For 5 points: HydroEdge (2), Symmetry (2)

Not mentioned: Harmony

2. Please name someone who has been on a Sports Illustrated tribute (or in memoriam) cover.

For 10 points: Walter Payton, Mickey Mantle,

For 5 points: Brittanie Cecil (2), Johnny Unitas (2), Ted Williams (2)

Not mentioned: Len Bias, Arthur Ashe, Reggie Lewis, Dale Earnhardt, Pat Tillman

3. Please take a look at the United Nations' Food and Agricultural listing for cabbage and choose one of the world's top ten cabbage producers as of 2005.

For 10 points: United States of America

For 5 points: India (5), Poland (2)

Not mentioned: China, Russian Federation, Republic of Korea, Japan, Ukraine, Indonesia, Germany

4. Please visit this backgammon website and tell me the name of any backgammon variant with a single-word name (hyphenated words will count as two).

For 10 points: Moultezim, Tavli, Gioul, Fayles

For 5 points: Narde (2), Fevga (2)

Not mentioned: Chouette, Doublets, Eureika, Grasshopper, among others

5. Please select another top-fifteen entry on VH1's "100 Greatest Hip Hop Songs."

For 10 points: "The Message" by Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five, "Straight Outta Compton" by N.W.A., "Gin and Juice" by Snoop Doggy Dogg, "Hard Knock Life" by Jay-Z

For 5 points: "The Breaks" by Kurtis Blow (2), "Walk This Way" by Run-DMC feat. Aerosmith (2)

Not Mentioned: "Fight the Power" by Public Enemy, "Nuthin But A 'G' Thang" by Dr. Dre, "Juicy" by Notorious B.I.G., and others

Scores:

With 40 points: Mugaboo
With 35 points: maninmidohio, ecnalubma, denni19, deepakmr, szabs, Gatsby722
With 25 points: brandz_mygirl

Congratulations to Mugaboo for winning an October trivia point!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002