all guesses but here we go!
1. During which period did it become customary to pronounce words like dance and bath with a long a: vowel?
2. Which of the following is an Anglo-Saxon historical account of 12th century England?
a.The Barnsley Chronicle
3. Which was the first book to be printed in English?
4. In etymological terms, which of these pairs is the odd one out?
b.whole ~ hale
5. Which of the following illustrates a lexical fossil?
c.out of kilter
6. Which language is spoken in the Gaeltacht?
7. Which of the following words would NOT have been directly affected by the Great Vowel Shift in English?
8. How many English verbs have irregular past tenses?
9. Who was the first king after the Norman conquest who spoke English as a mother tongue?
10. Which of the following illustrates a lexical gap?
11. Which of the following had the least influence on the English spoken in Kent?
12. Which of the following is NOT a loan from Norse?
13. Approximately how many modern English words were taken from Norman French shortly after 1066?
14. Etymologically speaking, which of these words is the odd one out?
15. Which of the following is basically a Roman place name?
16. What language do the romance languages derive from?
17. How many current English words are reputed to have been coined by Shakespeare?
18. Which of the following phrases was NOT coined by Shakespeare?
a."a tower of strength"
19. Who formalised the major differences between English and American spelling?
20. In what year was English used in Parliament for the first time?